DEMONS & WIZARDS 3rd Album Announced

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
priderock

DEMONS & WIZARDS 3rd Album Announced

#1 Post by priderock » 23 Mar 2019 10:48

So, it was officially announced that the 3rd album by Demons and Wizards will be released at the beginning of 2020 by Century Media and the first 2 will be re-released on June 7 - fully remastered with additional bonus stuff.
So, it seems that will get The Orchestral Project and the 3rd Demons and Wizards album in less than 4 months from each other most probably :twisted: And maybe the next B.G. album in the next two years...
It's like the period I've been always dreaming for in terms of releases - 3 albums(including the orchestral one) in less than 3 years from now :) :) :)

Guardian'86

Re: DEMONS & WIZARDS 3rd Album Announced

#2 Post by Guardian'86 » 23 Mar 2019 11:29

Yes, another amazing news !!! Even if the time to enjoy the orchestral album from november 1st until early 2020 for 3rd demons and wizard album is not enough because to assimilate the orchestral album is not easy in the early stages especially....but to enjoy pure metal with the 3rd one of D&W will mean to have a blast !!
Thanks for this other update !!

Dragonfly

#3 Post by Dragonfly » 23 Mar 2019 20:48

Great news, came here to post the same thing! And guess what, it's another longstanding project that is about to finally see the light of day. Very interesting.
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

Traveller in Time

#4 Post by Traveller in Time » 24 Mar 2019 10:06

I did hope for a release before their touring activities start. But well i am fine with 2020 as well :-)
Great times ahead of us.

Meanwhile to kill some time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAVHxKH6CyM

But if you ask me Hansi could do better, he too much adapted to the style of the Hämatom singer (hey and you will always lose against Freddie). And Hansi should sing the more high stuff and not vice versa.
But it seems they had some fun.
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Guardian'86

#5 Post by Guardian'86 » 25 Mar 2019 20:18

The quest is over, Demons and Wizards finally have found a new home! You better get yourself prepared.

DEMONS & WIZARDS sign with CENTURY MEDIA RECORDS

Century Media Records is pleased to announce the signing of legendary metal band DEMONS & WIZARDS for a worldwide collaboration. Founded in 1999 by Hansi Kürsch (Blind Guardian) and Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth), DEMONS & WIZARDS released two highly acclaimed albums in 2000 (“Demons & Wizards”) and 2005 (“Touched by the Crimson King”). Currently, the band is busy recording the highly anticipated yet untitled third studio album, which is scheduled to be released in early 2020.

Hansi Kürsch comments:
“It is a great pleasure and a big honor for me to finally become a full part of the Century Media family. Jon and I both feel that Century Media is the perfect match for our upcoming DEMONS & WIZARDS missions. And there will be plenty of them. Right at the moment we have not only finalized a re-boot of our first two albums, but are also working with full forces on the successor of “Touched by the Crimson King”. Good things are on its way. Expect nothing but the best and do not miss us on the road this summer, unless you want to risk another 20 years of waiting …”

Philipp Schulte (Century Media Records) adds:
“To say that we are stoked to be finally working with Hansi and Jon on a new DEMONS & WIZARDS album would be an understatement. This is a very important signing to the label: A top-tier metal band and a great addition to the label’s roster. The fans have been patiently waiting for DEMONS & WIZARDS’ return. And now the time is near! We start our cooperation by re-releasing the band’s two classic albums, before they are conquering the festival stages all across Europe. And then, in the beginning of 2020, after 15 years of waiting, DEMONS & WIZARDS will finally return with a new studio album. It is time to hoist the sails for the storm to come. Welcome aboard!”

Prior to the release of the new studio album, Century Media Records will release DEMONS & WIZARDS’ sold out first two albums as reworked special editions. Remastered by Zeuss (Iced Earth, Queensrÿche, Sanctuary), these two releases will be out on June 7th, 2019 as Limited Edition Digipak and limited Deluxe 2LP releases with bonus material and liner notes by both members.

Already on March 29th, 2019, the digital standard versions of the remastered albums will be made available in order to promote the band’s festival run in Europe.

Demons & Wizards Festivals/ Shows 2019

May 31st - Saarbrücken/Garage (Germany)

June 1st - Pratteln/Z7 (Swiss)
June 2nd - Frankfurt/Batschkapp (Germany)
June 8th - Norje-Sölvesborg/Sweden Rock Festival (Sweden)
June 10th - Moscow/RED Club (Russia)
June 20th - Copenhagen/Copenhell (Denmark)
June 21st - Clisson/Hellfest (France)
June 22nd - Dessel/Graspop (Belgium)
June 29th - Dokkum/Dokk´em Open Air (Holland)
June 30th - London/Islington Assembly Hall (UK)

July 4th - Barcelona/Barcelona Rock Fest (Spain)
July 6th - Crete-Chania/Chania Rockfestival (Greece)
July 25th - Tolmin/Metal Days Festival (Slovenia)

August 2nd - Wacken/Wacken Festival (Germany)

Traveller in Time

#6 Post by Traveller in Time » 29 Mar 2019 17:36

priderock

#7 Post by priderock » 29 Mar 2019 18:55

Thanks for the info!
I'm just listening them on Spotify!
What do you guys think about the remasters

https://open.spotify.com/album/6ee1ODEQBi5qbxs8knwoQL

i just listened to Blood On My Hands and I have to say that it's phenomenal!

Traveller in Time

#8 Post by Traveller in Time » 29 Mar 2019 19:20

i will wait for the physical releases, no fan of spotify and co. But good to know that it is worth to buy. :D

Traveller in Time

#9 Post by Traveller in Time » 21 Apr 2019 19:46

What do you think? Will be there a chance that they will record a show (maybe Wacken or another festival) to make a live album or a DVD/bluray or both?
It is not said when they ever will be do a D&W tour again in the far future. I would like to have at least an live album.

sciacallo010

#10 Post by sciacallo010 » 28 May 2019 18:31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1zh2BSwqTc

So...Demons & Wizards are now Blind Guardian + Iced Earth (with a pinch of Ayreon), more than ever...can't wait to see them next month!

Dragonfly

#11 Post by Dragonfly » 29 May 2019 00:59

That's pretty amazing. I kinda expected to see Frederik but Marcus on bass?!! That's one giant sweet surprise right there!

Also, Hansi is brutal in this lovely video :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Traveller in Time

#12 Post by Traveller in Time » 30 May 2019 22:27

sciacallo010 wrote:
28 May 2019 18:31
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1zh2BSwqTc

So...Demons & Wizards are now Blind Guardian + Iced Earth (with a pinch of Ayreon), more than ever...can't wait to see them next month!
..and a pinch of Witherfall (Jake Dreyer)

funny, i met him when they were support of Sonata Arctica. Really nice guy and now being tour guitarist of D&W...sky is the limit :-D

Traveller in Time

#13 Post by Traveller in Time » 01 Jun 2019 00:04

Wohoo. Great concert in Saarbrücken. Hansi in really good shape. Of course not going for the highest screams (besides Fiddler in the green, this one was truly amazing). Never saw a bass Player Moving So much and spraying energy. :) Marcus seemed to enjoy it. Frederik in point as always. Jake dreyer was a cool guy bringing much action on lead Guitar. Even played Two bg Songs (Welcome to dying and marcus' “Loved“ Valhalla. Still blasted. Great concert. Highly recommended.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/demons- ... 0423b.html

Tour shirt
https://ibb.co/6sZrz3M
https://ibb.co/HH1PZcH
Last edited by Traveller in Time on 02 Jun 2019 13:30, edited 2 times in total.

Guardian'86

#14 Post by Guardian'86 » 01 Jun 2019 18:59

I Guess that one or more of these shows will be recorded for a future release live DVD and CD. Just a question.....but according to you when Demons & Wizards signed with Century Media records this mean that they will release, apart from the third album in early 2020, other albums! Hansi said, referring to the missions, that there will be plenty of them. What do you think?

Traveller in Time

#15 Post by Traveller in Time » 01 Jun 2019 20:17

Guardian'86 wrote:
01 Jun 2019 18:59
I Guess that one or more of these shows will be recorded for a future release live DVD and CD. Just a question.....but according to you when Demons & Wizards signed with Century Media records this mean that they will release, apart from the third album in early 2020, other albums! Hansi said, referring to the missions, that there will be plenty of them. What do you think?
i hope so a live CD and/or DVD would be great. I guess they will use a festival show for one of these.
Hansi is always euphoric. Don't put too much weight on that, because their timing schedule is very tight if you ask me. There will be a third studio album, that is all we can say for sure and that they have plans for the future as well, but after last album it was the same that they won't take that long again an here we are 14 years after Touched by the crimson king (2005). Would not suprise me if i takes at least 10 years for the 4th album ;-)

Dragonfly

#16 Post by Dragonfly » 01 Jun 2019 23:13

Traveller in Time wrote:
01 Jun 2019 00:04
Wohoo. Great concert in Saarbrücken. Hansi in really good shape. Of course not going for the highest screams (besides Fiddler in the green, this one was truly amazing). Never saw a bass Player Moving So much and spraying energy. :) Marcus seemed to enjoy it. Frederik in point as always. Jake dreyer was a cool guy bringing much action on lead Guitar. Even played Two bg Songs (Welcome to dying and marcus' “Loved“ Valhalla. Still blasted. Great concert. Highly recommended.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/demons- ... 0423b.html

Tour shirt
https://ibb.co/vqHnN3H
https://ibb.co/b5rMvrs
Sounds great, thank you for this little review! Gonna see the guys in Moscow in 8 days. I wonder if they will change a song or two between shows in the way that Blind Guardian do or stick to this set of songs. I, for one, am longing for "Down Where I Am", other than that I'm very pleased with the setlist. "Wicked Witch" is a song I hold very dear, I hope they'll keep it.

One problem though - the link you posted doesn't work for me. :(

Traveller in Time

#17 Post by Traveller in Time » 02 Jun 2019 13:31

Dragonfly wrote:
01 Jun 2019 23:13

Sounds great, thank you for this little review! Gonna see the guys in Moscow in 8 days. I wonder if they will change a song or two between shows in the way that Blind Guardian do or stick to this set of songs. I, for one, am longing for "Down Where I Am", other than that I'm very pleased with the setlist. "Wicked Witch" is a song I hold very dear, I hope they'll keep it.

I guess they will keep most of the songs in the setlist and just exchange one or two songs from time to time like they did on the beyond the red mirror tour. Wicked witch was really awesome. Can't imagine that they could skip it in future shows... Fiddler on the green lacked a bit of the sound of the accoustic guitar if you ask me (so only 99% of perfectness ;-) ) Enjoy the anticipation, it's really a great concert experience and every wait worth it.

Now the link should be fixed.
Tour shirt

To complete things: There is a Touched by the crimson shirt sold as well, but no tour dates on the back. There is a girlie shirt but it has onky the D&W logo on front, so a bit boring. They sell a black worker shirt (with black d&w logo) and a hoodie with red d&w logo.
Else you can get signed (by Jon and Hansi) poster, the remastered CDs with signatures and limited signed vinyls (Touched by the crimson king: 200x red, 200x yellow / Demons&Wizards: 200x green, 200x blue) and drum sticks

Traveller in Time

#18 Post by Traveller in Time » 03 Jun 2019 14:40

Dragonfly

#19 Post by Dragonfly » 03 Jun 2019 21:09

Traveller in Time wrote:
02 Jun 2019 13:31
Dragonfly wrote:
01 Jun 2019 23:13

I guess they will keep most of the songs in the setlist and just exchange one or two songs from time to time like they did on the beyond the red mirror tour. Wicked witch was really awesome. Can't imagine that they could skip it in future shows... Fiddler on the green lacked a bit of the sound of the accoustic guitar if you ask me (so only 99% of perfectness ;-) ) Enjoy the anticipation, it's really a great concert experience and every wait worth it.

Now the link should be fixed.
Tour shirt

To complete things: There is a Touched by the crimson shirt sold as well, but no tour dates on the back. There is a girlie shirt but it has onky the D&W logo on front, so a bit boring. They sell a black worker shirt (with black d&w logo) and a hoodie with red d&w logo.
Else you can get signed (by Jon and Hansi) poster, the remastered CDs with signatures and limited signed vinyls (Touched by the crimson king: 200x red, 200x yellow / Demons&Wizards: 200x green, 200x blue) and drum sticks
Many thanks to you, looks like I'll be getting that t-shirt! The re-coloured version of that cover might even look better than the original and that says a lot. I just love that picture! Having read the whole story of "Fiddler On The Green", it now makes even more sense. What a song!
Another particular favourite of mine is "My Last Sunrise" which is probably Hansi's most evil vocal performance to date, it even reminds me of black metal sometimes. I also remember reading somewhere that it's his favourite song on the debut album. Glad to see that the guys play the whole Azrael trilogy, great way to conclude the main set.

Do you mean that they played Fiddler on clean guitars? Were there any acoustics involved?

Thank you Traveller! The last band I saw live was Alestorm, and it's been quite a while now. I'm sure it's going to be a night to remember, a truly magical encounter as they put it! :) :) :) Never in my entire life did I expect that I'd get a chance to see a Demons & Wizards concert, by the way. It seemed as fantastic as the stories they write their songs about. And a new record in the works, too! What a time to be alive...

Traveller in Time

#20 Post by Traveller in Time » 04 Jun 2019 23:38

Dragonfly wrote:
03 Jun 2019 21:09

Many thanks to you, looks like I'll be getting that t-shirt! The re-coloured version of that cover might even look better than the original and that says a lot. I just love that picture! Having read the whole story of "Fiddler On The Green", it now makes even more sense. What a song!
Another particular favourite of mine is "My Last Sunrise" which is probably Hansi's most evil vocal performance to date, it even reminds me of black metal sometimes. I also remember reading somewhere that it's his favourite song on the debut album. Glad to see that the guys play the whole Azrael trilogy, great way to conclude the main set.

Do you mean that they played Fiddler on clean guitars? Were there any acoustics involved?

Thank you Traveller! The last band I saw live was Alestorm, and it's been quite a while now. I'm sure it's going to be a night to remember, a truly magical encounter as they put it! :) :) :) Never in my entire life did I expect that I'd get a chance to see a Demons & Wizards concert, by the way. It seemed as fantastic as the stories they write their songs about. And a new record in the works, too! What a time to be alive...

Jon played the main melody on accoustic guitar, while the heavy parts were played on e-guitar by Jake. At Saarbrücken the accoustic sounded a bit too high for this dark song, or maybe i had not best accoustics where i was standing.
In the video it sounds better than i remember.
Yeah Fiddler on the green is a great song with a deeper and tragic meaning. i love this song and the cover artwork, they did a great job to keep it and with the re-colouring. That cover woukd be an epic LED picture if you enlightend the latern and maybe the fiddler in a green tone.

I guess you guys already saw it, but just to keep all information together:
DEMONS & WIZARDS - Hansi Kürsch & Jon Schaffer present The REMASTERS 2019!

the transparent sun yellow looks great. :shock:

Dragonfly

#21 Post by Dragonfly » 05 Jun 2019 00:37

Traveller in Time wrote:
04 Jun 2019 23:38

Jon played the main melody on accoustic guitar, while the heavy parts were played on e-guitar by Jake. At Saarbrücken the accoustic sounded a bit too high for this dark song, or maybe i had not best accoustics where i was standing.
In the video it sounds better than i remember.
Okay, it depends I guess. I can only hope that the acoustics of the hall will be good enough for where I'll be standing.
Traveller in Time wrote:

Yeah Fiddler on the green is a great song with a deeper and tragic meaning. i love this song and the cover artwork, they did a great job to keep it and with the re-colouring. That cover woukd be an epic LED picture if you enlightend the latern and maybe the fiddler in a green tone.
Yeah, that's what a master songwriter and storyteller comes away with after witnessing a tragic accident. Or two of them in close succession...
Traveller in Time wrote:

I guess you guys already saw it, but just to keep all information together:
DEMONS & WIZARDS - Hansi Kürsch & Jon Schaffer present The REMASTERS 2019!

the transparent sun yellow looks great. :shock:
Yes, another lovely video! It's always a pleasure to hear what the creator has to say about their work. If there's two creators involved, and they do so while trolling each other, even better!

Right, though the music of this ensemble is anything but sunny. :mrgreen:

Traveller in Time

#22 Post by Traveller in Time » 05 Jun 2019 10:21

Dragonfly wrote:
05 Jun 2019 00:37

Yes, another lovely video! It's always a pleasure to hear what the creator has to say about their work. If there's two creators involved, and they do so while trolling each other, even better!

Absolutely. Hansi mentioned that even death metal fans like this album. And after reading lyrics for rehersals,he thought: we were young but all these dark lyrics, what was wrong with us at that time? :lol:

Dragonfly

#23 Post by Dragonfly » 07 Jun 2019 01:17

Traveller in Time wrote:
05 Jun 2019 10:21
Dragonfly wrote:
05 Jun 2019 00:37

Absolutely. Hansi mentioned that even death metal fans like this album. And after reading lyrics for rehersals,he thought: we were young but all these dark lyrics, what was wrong with us at that time? :lol:
I can totally see that happening though Blind Guardian has never been known for pastoral and happy lyrics either. Plus Schaffer's influence... I don't know much about Iced Earth but I guess they are a bit more grim than the bards...

Guardian'86

#24 Post by Guardian'86 » 08 Jun 2019 16:20

The next Demons & Wizards album, the third one, coming out in early 2020, should be way way better at least than the second one "Touched By The Crimson King" who is less good than the first one..."The Gunslinger" is the most beautiful song from this album, very huge song...there some other great songs but most of the listeners and fans, myself comprised, don't have a good opinion of this second album but overall can be considered a good album with some great songs. We can hear on it both influences of Iced Earth riffing and Blind Guardian influence also...but is Jon Schaffer guilty for this controversial record? Let's see what will happen with the next one....
What's your opinion on it???

p.s. I like "touched by the crimson king" but not as much as the first one....but it's very controversial...

Traveller in Time

#25 Post by Traveller in Time » 08 Jun 2019 23:40

well the first album has this dark approach, totally destructive and dark. while touched by the crimson king has those pushing forward neckbraking songs like terror train and the gunslinger and the most beautiful ballade ever made: wicked witch.
i like both, although first one has some bonus, because of the artwork, fiddler on the green song meaning and overall concept.
touche dby the crimson king not liked by fans? Really? where have you read that fans do not like it? Well i guess the first one is always special, like with movies, everything is new. On the follow up you already have something in mind how it should be and expectations are high and you expect it to be better or improving than first one. and second has lost his surpirse element. touched by the crimson king has more variety if you ask me. all in all i don't wanna miss it :D

Concerning the third one: i have no expectations, hoping for some straight forward songs, without much details like in BG song, but power and some dark lyrics. And hopefully another surprising ballad.
But well as long Hansi is singing i will be satisfied :-)

Dragonfly

#26 Post by Dragonfly » 15 Jun 2019 23:59

In the meantime, there's a fresh interview with Jon and Hansi conducted before their 10 June show in Moscow. Some things mentioned there haven't been posted elsewhere, I believe, so I'll share the most interesting bits with you.

- All the songs for the new Demons & Wizards album are written, music is 90% recorded, vocals - about 50%; Hansi hopes to be done with recordings within the following month and mixing and production are to be completed by October with a possible release date in early 2020 (that bit we already know);
- the oldest three songs composed for the record are about three years old now;
- the guys already have some ideas for the cover artwork but no artist has been hired yet;
- one of the new songs is called "Diabolic" (I can already hear those evil Hansi screams) and it's pretty much "Heaven Denies", part 2 - again inspired by John Milton;
- another song (or possibly several) will be based on Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials (potentially interesting...);
- also a song about Brandon Sanderson's The Stormlight Archive;
- Jon confirms he has written some of his very best guitar pieces and melodies for this album, Hansi agrees;
- Hansi says that "The Gunslinger", "Fiddler On The Green" and "My Last Sunrise" are all among the top 10 songs he's ever done;
- Jon: "Yeah, The Gunslinger is a real kick to the balls!"

You can find the interview here: http://metalkings.org/interviews/211 (only in Russian).

priderock

#27 Post by priderock » 16 Jun 2019 09:17

WOW! Cool post, thanks for sharing!! :) :D

Actually, can't wait to hear it... Hope to be really dark - something between The first Demons and Wizards album and The Iced Earth's Dark Saga! :P :twisted:

Guardian'86

#28 Post by Guardian'86 » 16 Jun 2019 11:10

Dragonfly wrote:
15 Jun 2019 23:59
In the meantime, there's a fresh interview with Jon and Hansi conducted before their 10 June show in Moscow. Some things mentioned there haven't been posted elsewhere, I believe, so I'll share the most interesting bits with you.

- All the songs for the new Demons & Wizards album are written, music is 90% recorded, vocals - about 50%; Hansi hopes to be done with recordings within the following month and mixing and production are to be completed by October with a possible release date in early 2020 (that bit we already know);
- the guys already have some ideas for the cover artwork but no artist has been hired yet;
- one of the new songs is called "Diabolic" (I can already hear those evil Hansi screams) and it's pretty much "Heaven Denies", part 2 - again inspired by John Milton;
- another song (or possibly several) will be based on Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials (potentially interesting...);
- Jon confirms he has written some of his very best guitar pieces and melodies for this album, Hansi agrees;
- Hansi says that "The Gunslinger", "Fiddler On The Green" and "My Last Sunrise" are all among the top 10 songs he's ever done;

You can find the interview here: http://metalkings.org/interviews/211 (only in Russian).
Thanks for this updated !! Has he been asked about the orchestral album? I mean in terms of other full details ;) ...... anyway I am thrilled about the upcoming new chapter of Demons & Wizards, I guess they will do another tour supporting the album....

Dragonfly

#29 Post by Dragonfly » 16 Jun 2019 23:28

You are all very welcome! :)
priderock wrote:
16 Jun 2019 09:17
WOW! Cool post, thanks for sharing!! :) :D

Actually, can't wait to hear it... Hope to be really dark - something between The first Demons and Wizards album and The Iced Earth's Dark Saga! :P :twisted:
I'm sure that at least certain density of darkness is guaranteed. :) The question is, can it be as grim as, say, the Azrael trilogy? All I know is it's got to be awesome!
Guardian'86 wrote:
16 Jun 2019 11:10
Dragonfly wrote:
15 Jun 2019 23:59

Thanks for this updated !! Has he been asked about the orchestral album? I mean in terms of other full details ;) ...... anyway I am thrilled about the upcoming new chapter of Demons & Wizards, I guess they will do another tour supporting the album....
No, the interview concentrates on Demons & Wizards stuff only, so nothing about the orchestral project...

Traveller in Time

#30 Post by Traveller in Time » 22 Jun 2019 21:21

Nice interview at hellfest 2019.

They are planning 2 studdio albums and a live album in near future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATGkMbNY1R8

Guardian'86

#31 Post by Guardian'86 » 23 Jun 2019 09:42

Yeah, I'm looking the press-conference right now, it is a mind-blowing news. I Guess they'll tour too in the future so. Anyway I expected a live album and Dvd from this actual tour too of course.....let's wait and see...

When Hansi Kursch, following the century media signing, said :
“It is a great pleasure and a big honor for me to finally become a full part of the Century Media family. Jon and I both feel that Century Media is the perfect match for our upcoming Demons & Wizards missions. And there will be plenty of them. Right at the moment we have not only finalized a re-boot of our first two albums, but are also working with full forces on the successor of “Touched by the Crimson King”. Good things are on its way. Expect nothing but the best and do not miss us on the road this summer, unless you want to risk another 20 years of waiting …”

These declarations make me think that there will be more than one album from demons & wizards including the third one coming in early 2020 !!!

Traveller in Time

#32 Post by Traveller in Time » 23 Jun 2019 19:45

would be nice to know to which Hansi was responding at 16:40. "That is an other cool thing. I don't know if it is already released yet"
so an other guest appearance

Traveller in Time

#33 Post by Traveller in Time » 24 Jun 2019 20:45

Pssst...
Demons&Wizards @Hellfest high quality
https://arteconcert-a.akamaihd.net/am/c ... Og6mDE.mp4

Dragonfly

#34 Post by Dragonfly » 26 Jun 2019 23:15

Yeah, cool press conference, isn't it? I really enjoyed listening to them talk.
A fourth Demons & Wizards album is amazing, of course, but I wouldn't be so sure right now that it will see the light of day within even the next several years - these guys are way too busy, so I wouldn't put my money on that. But I certainly will be glad to be proven wrong. :)
Also, it appears we will get 11 songs on the next record unless some of them end up as bonus tracks...
Gotta check that video out, thank you Traveller in Time!

Edit: For God's sake, TraveLLer, I always forget how many "l"s you have in your name and always put it wrong the first time I type your name. :P

Led Guardian

#35 Post by Led Guardian » 27 Jun 2019 03:40

Traveller in Time wrote:
24 Jun 2019 20:45
Pssst...
One thing I have to say, I miss Hansi's high notes, like you can hear on BG's live DVD. I feel like he hasn't trusted those notes live this last decade, and it's unfortunate. A lot of times it seems like he pulls his chest voice up as high as he can to really belt out those distorted notes, and then when it starts to strain just goes into a fry scream rather than those high, cleaner head voice screams he used to do more. Seems to make it harder when he does go for those high notes too, because a lot of the time they seem to catch at the beginning, like in Poor Man's Crusade. I'm not sure if he's just not comfortable with them anymore, stylistically prefers to use his harsher, raspier notes more, or if doing those raspier notes for years messed with his ability to do higher notes, but I wish he'd bring them back. I miss those cleaner head voice screams.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Traveller in Time

#36 Post by Traveller in Time » 27 Jun 2019 21:09

Led Guardian wrote:
27 Jun 2019 03:40
Traveller in Time wrote:
24 Jun 2019 20:45
Pssst...
One thing I have to say, I miss Hansi's high notes, like you can hear on BG's live DVD. I feel like he hasn't trusted those notes live this last decade, and it's unfortunate. A lot of times it seems like he pulls his chest voice up as high as he can to really belt out those distorted notes, and then when it starts to strain just goes into a fry scream rather than those high, cleaner head voice screams he used to do more. Seems to make it harder when he does go for those high notes too, because a lot of the time they seem to catch at the beginning, like in Poor Man's Crusade. I'm not sure if he's just not comfortable with them anymore, stylistically prefers to use his harsher, raspier notes more, or if doing those raspier notes for years messed with his ability to do higher notes, but I wish he'd bring them back. I miss those cleaner head voice screams.
I think he spares the high notes to save his troath/voice. He needs time to recover and having concert after an other he has to be careful and soon he wants to do vocals for the D&W album as well. I remember in an interview he said that for him it is more difficult since he got older.
But mostly in the last concerts of a tour you can hear him quite often screaming. But on fiddler on the green the last scream he still pulls off! amazing. 48:52 8)
But you are totally right, i miss his incredible screams, too. Therefore he got a pretty decent entertainer on stage :D

Traveller in Time

#37 Post by Traveller in Time » 27 Jun 2019 21:17

Dragonfly wrote:
26 Jun 2019 23:15
A fourth Demons & Wizards album is amazing, of course, but I wouldn't be so sure right now that it will see the light of day within even the next several years - these guys are way too busy, so I wouldn't put my money on that. But I certainly will be glad to be proven wrong. :)
Also, it appears we will get 11 songs on the next record unless some of them end up as bonus tracks...

Edit: For God's sake, TraveLLer, I always forget how many "l"s you have in your name and always put it wrong the first time I type your name. :P
well you are right with the first on, because BG's song is written in american english style with one, but when i registered in my pure naive youth i wrote it UK style, that's how i learned it in school (oxford english). After i found out i was too lazy to change it. :mrgreen:

I share your doubts ;-) Like after touched by the crimson king they said there won't be a long break and here we are 14 years later. But getting older i see that the wheel of time is turning faster and faster, so no blaming on them :wink:

Dragonfly

#38 Post by Dragonfly » 01 Jul 2019 21:12

Traveller in Time wrote:
27 Jun 2019 21:17
Dragonfly wrote:
26 Jun 2019 23:15

well you are right with the first on, because BG's song is written in american english style with one, but when i registered in my pure naive youth i wrote it UK style, that's how i learned it in school (oxford english). After i found out i was too lazy to change it. :mrgreen:

I share your doubts ;-) Like after touched by the crimson king they said there won't be a long break and here we are 14 years later. But getting older i see that the wheel of time is turning faster and faster, so no blaming on them :wink:
Exactly! I'd also use TraveLLer because that's what I'm used to. But BG went with the American variant, which is something I can't get used to up to this day.

Not blaming them one bit, I myself feel the wheel turning faster and faster as years go by, with people getting older and each new year shorter... I would just be a bit more careful with those kinds of estimations, or maybe they really ARE that sure about the next record coming in the next several years? We'll find out sooner or later.

JazzJackrabbit

#39 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 10 Jul 2019 16:49

Hey guys, is there a consensus on the remasters vs the originals? I wanna get TBTCK and just wanna know if I'll be good getting the remaster or if I should try to find a copy of the original.

Traveller in Time

#40 Post by Traveller in Time » 10 Jul 2019 18:54

in my opinion i do prefer the original, but on crimson king there are some nice demo songs on the remastered bonus disc.
Remasters sounds more smooth and all instruments are levelled, miss the more rough feeling a bit and details lack if you ask me, espcially guitars (original sometimes instruments or voices stand out) therefore you can hear the several Hansi choirs better.
Some more opinions?

Dragonfly

#41 Post by Dragonfly » 13 Jul 2019 23:33

I have only heard some of the remastered verisons on YouTube, and yeah, I'd say they sound a bit more levelled. I also prefer the roughness of the originals.
"Until She Comes" is quite gorgeous though, and you only get it with the remaster. Looks like we could have got FIVE great ballads on "Touched By The Crimson King" if they had finished this song for the record. Also, Hansi's dog barking in the background is a nice, even if unintentional, touch; sadly, dogs don't live very long compared to humans, and it's been 14 years since Hansi worked on that song, so knowing that the dog is no longer with him adds to the poignancy of the piece... What do you think of this song?

Traveller in Time

#42 Post by Traveller in Time » 14 Jul 2019 20:48

Dragonfly wrote:
13 Jul 2019 23:33
I have only heard some of the remastered verisons on YouTube, and yeah, I'd say they sound a bit more levelled. I also prefer the roughness of the originals.
"Until She Comes" is quite gorgeous though, and you only get it with the remaster. Looks like we could have got FIVE great ballads on "Touched By The Crimson King" if they had finished this song for the record. Also, Hansi's dog barking in the background is a nice, even if unintentional, touch; sadly, dogs don't live very long compared to humans, and it's been 14 years since Hansi worked on that song, so knowing that the dog is no longer with him adds to the poignancy of the piece... What do you think of this song?
yeah there is a bit of a tragedary in there, with the dog's barking, who has faded away long time ago. It was nearly on point. They lyrics suit to this poignancy as well. It transports emotions of sadness, anger of pure dispair and being helpless, hard to put this into words. All seems so natural and like fate brought it together as if it was planned beforehanded.
Hopefully they will finish this song for a future record or maybe as bonus for a magazine oder a bonus disc. The demo sounds already close to a finished song, if you ask me.
It's changings from slow to fast and hard suits perefectly. A second fiddler on the green feeling.
Last edited by Traveller in Time on 27 Aug 2019 20:32, edited 1 time in total.

Dragonfly

#43 Post by Dragonfly » 14 Jul 2019 21:44

Traveller in Time wrote:
14 Jul 2019 20:48
Dragonfly wrote:
13 Jul 2019 23:33
yeah there is a bit of a tragedary in there, with the dog's barking, who has faded away long time ago. It was nearly on point. They lyrics suit to this poignancy as well. It transports emotions of sadness, anger of pure dispair and being helpless, hard to put this into words. All seems so natural and like fade brought it together as if it was planned beforehanded.
Hopefully they will finish thi song for a future record or maybe as bonus for a magazine oder a bonus disc. The demo sounds already close to a finished song, if you ask me.
It's changings from slow to fast and hard suits perefectly. A second fiddler on the green feeling.
Exactly, Traveller! They said it wouldn't be reworked for the upcoming album but it may still see the light of day sometime as a completed song. The guys should not forget it, it's such a beautiful piece.
It also makes me wonder what made them write so many ballads for "Touched By The Crimson King" - literally half of the songs are of the slower type in one way or another, to the dismay of many. Not me though, as I believe that the ballads are the absolute best part of that record. "Love's Tragedy Asunder" was my very first acquaintance with the band, and the magic was enhanced further by gems like "Wicked Witch" and "Down Where I Am". And now we have "Until She Comes", which is also wonderful.

Traveller in Time

#44 Post by Traveller in Time » 10 Aug 2019 23:09

does anybody know if there was a Wacken edition of the D&W Tour shirt and made a picture of it?
I am always curious about special event shirts.

Traveller in Time

#45 Post by Traveller in Time » 26 Aug 2019 21:36

Some news were spread about the upcoming album by metal hammer magazine:

Diabolic:
Opener track
women's choir, low tuned guitar intro, following Iced Earth-riffs and forward pushing Hansi, nearly into growling.
refrain reminds of heaven denies on speed.
Jon:"I awaken the demon in him (Hansi)"

Wolves in winter:
pumping start with mordern sound, mixing Iced Earth riffs with BG sounds
Exciting tempo shifts and a strong refrain: Feel the power rise within you

Invincible:
Alternative Rock elements, rocking riff in american style and a tight solo sound like an extensively road-trip
Jon:" There are many cool guitar parts, which are missing in this version"

Timeless Spirit:
ten minute lasting mystical trip showing off the whole spectrum of D&W's range and dynamic. Ghost are summoned and Hansi shines on "Child in Time"-moments

about the album in general:
Influenced by heavy metal from late the 80's, early 90's, and classic, prog and alternative rock.
Last edited by Traveller in Time on 27 Aug 2019 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

Ryu

#46 Post by Ryu » 27 Aug 2019 18:23

Traveller in Time wrote:
26 Aug 2019 21:36
Some news were spread about the upcoming album by metal hammer magazine:

Diabolic:
Opener track
women's choir, low tuned guitar intro, following Iced Earth-riffs and forward pushing Hansi, nearly into growling.
refrain reminds of heaven denies on speed.
Jon:"I awaken the demon in him (Hansi)"

Wolves in winter:
pumping start with mordern sound, mixing Iced Arth riffs with BG sounds
Exciting tempo shifts and a strong refrain: Feel the power rise within you

Invincible:
Alternative Rock elements, rocking riff in american style and a tight solo sound like an extensively road-trip
Jon:" There are many cool guitar parts, which are missing in this version"

Timeless Spirit:
ten minute lasting mystical trip showing off the whole spectrum of D&W's range and dynamic. Ghost are summoned and Hansi shines on "Child in Time"-moments

about the album in general:
Influenced by heavy metal from late the 80's, early 90's, and classic, prog and alternative rock.
Lovely, don't suppose you have anymore info from this article and would be willing to translate?
Defiant of destiny

Traveller in Time

#47 Post by Traveller in Time » 27 Aug 2019 20:24

Sadly there was no further info. Just a pre- pre-listening session.
It was a side note from an interview with Jon and Hansi, but there are no breaking news so far.
The most interesting part was the side note, which i tried to translate above (i am sure it is not 100% correct) ;-)

But in the same magazine there is a similiar description of each song of the orchestra album. I try to translate it,if you are interested.

Dragonfly

#48 Post by Dragonfly » 27 Aug 2019 23:12

Sounds lovely, everything except the alternative rock bit... screw that. I'd hate to have Hansi and Jon tap into that crap. Ugh.
On the other hand, the intensity and epicness described by the author really do make me excited! We sure have something to look forward to in 2020 already.

Ryu

#49 Post by Ryu » 28 Aug 2019 03:15

Traveller in Time wrote:
27 Aug 2019 20:24
Sadly there was no further info. Just a pre- pre-listening session.
It was a side note from an interview with Jon and Hansi, but there are no breaking news so far.
The most interesting part was the side note, which i tried to translate above (i am sure it is not 100% correct) ;-)

But in the same magazine there is a similiar description of each song of the orchestra album. I try to translate it,if you are interested.
I would love that, thank you!
Defiant of destiny

priderock

#50 Post by priderock » 28 Aug 2019 07:41

Traveller in Time wrote:
27 Aug 2019 20:24

Of course we are :)