Blind Guardian LP 12(?) Speculation

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Ryu

Blind Guardian LP 12(?) Speculation

#1 Post by Ryu » 29 Jan 2018 03:43

Assuming the orchestral project somehow comes first, the next BG metal release would be their 12th album.

I'm making this thread as I discovered some info that surfaced July of last year and haven't seen it discussed here or anywhere else; in this interview, Hansi discusses the titles and overall feel of a couple new songs:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/blind- ... of-an-era/

"We haven't done too much songwriting for the next regular BLIND GUARDIAN album, but still, we've made some steps at least, and I can sense a strong change in comparison to what we did on the last album. There's one song called 'Architect Of Doom', which is a real heavy song. Very powerful. Very thrashy at points. And there's another song called 'American Goth', which is kind of what you would expect from BLIND GUARDIAN, but yet the way we maintained the drums, for example, the way we maintained the orchestra, and that is a song with orchestra, again, it's so different. I'm pretty sure that there will be a significant change when you listen to these two albums and from that point of view, yes, 'Live Beyond The Spheres' is the end of an era."

He goes on to say, "I would say there's a good chance that the orchestral album will be musically accomplished completely at the end of this year, and throughout the whole next year we will continue with mixing and everything, so this album can be released in the beginning of 2019. And the heavy album, basically, is supposed to follow later. Let's say in 2020. We are having a very good run and if things continue like they are maintaining at the moment, I'm pretty sure that we can stick to this schedule."

I'm not especially crazy about the song titles, but we can probably assume they'll change a few times over the next few years.
Defiant of destiny

arenamaster

Re: Blind Guardian LP 12(?) Speculation

#2 Post by arenamaster » 02 Feb 2018 21:17

American Goth is a hilarious and amazing song name and I very much hope that title stays. However, they typically change quite a bit. I'm curious as to what the change means between albums. I guess it remains to be seen.

However, I really reallly want that orchestral project hahahah
Each step I take,
May it hurt may it ache
Leads me further
Away from the past!
But as long as I breathe,
Each smile in my bleak face,
I'm on my way to find
Back to the peace of mind!

Traveller in Time

#3 Post by Traveller in Time » 05 Feb 2018 23:33

Oh i have missed that interview, or maybe i get older and have forgotten it already..... spokey

End of an era is a hard word made by Hansi, and besides from his releasing promises he sticks to his words, if you ask me. So that's really a surprise. Although BG often make major changes in music after two albums.
I hope they are quite busy, as there was no christmas or new years greetings nor any other new or signs of life. On the other side the IFTOS tour and live album delayed their process a lot and now there are two records to be done (or maybe three if the D&W rumours are true), but a year of mixing should be enough, even if there are some voices missing, which need to be recorded. They are no beginners with mixing an orchestra nowadays (or better to say Charlie is not).
O the one side it would be great to get some news about the production status on the other side i still hope for strategy like:" oh btw our album is out", but i know no record company would support this.
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

priderock

#4 Post by priderock » 06 Feb 2018 10:57

I still find it a little bit too early to talk about the 12 album, since we still don't have the 11th one :D
What I think is that we will finally get the orchestral project in our hands - next year probably. This is their driest info period if you ask me - exactly 3 years without any news.. Which can be considered as a clear sign that there is nothing more to be said about their next release - the orchestral album, except it's release date...
As for the regular album - I really don't know what does Hansi means by saying that they will change their approach - i mean what are they going to release - pop music, or what? :lol:
We all know that they won't come back to the sound of their first two albums and at the same time BG is not BG without the choirs and this complex orchestral stuff - or at least that's how I find and recognize them nowadays... Maybe more irsih melodies - that would be great actually. Anyway, i truly hope that they won't change this trademark. Or even if they chage it, I really hope to see orchestral album part 2 someday :D

All that I feel right now is that in the next 2 or 3 years the world will take some really serious punch with those 2 releases - especially the orchestral one... and it won't be the same anymore...

Max

#5 Post by Max » 12 Feb 2018 09:55

I'm pretty sure that I've read this somewhere...

Anyway this is very mysterious...
I can sense a strong change in comparison to what we did on the last album. There's one song called 'Architect Of Doom', which is a real heavy song. Very powerful. Very thrashy at points.
Real heavy and powerful and trashy... Instantly "Journey through the dark" comes to my mind. (which is very different to BTRM)
Further they never go back to the early days, but combining this with their newest complexity makes me very ancious.
Title sounds very cool too (i know it's the working title).
And there's another song called 'American Goth', which is kind of what you would expect from BLIND GUARDIAN, but yet the way we maintained the drums, for example, the way we maintained the orchestra, and that is a song with orchestra, again, it's so different.
Seems like an evolution of "Grand parade" with a mix closer to ANATO
I'm pretty sure that there will be a significant change when you listen to these two albums and from that point of view, yes, 'Live Beyond The Spheres' is the end of an era.
Isn't always a big change? For me every Album was a huge step forward (maybe except ATITM, my first full BG Album btw..., not complaining here)
End of an Era sounds very frightful. But we had Huge changes with SFB, NIME, BTRM...
But hence Hansi repeatedly mentions it, it will be even more than that - but its still BG Metal, so I will be pleased!
He goes on to say, "I would say there's a good chance that the orchestral album will be musically accomplished completely at the end of this year, and throughout the whole next year we will continue with mixing and everything, so this album can be released in the beginning of 2019. And the heavy album, basically, is supposed to follow later. Let's say in 2020. We are having a very good run and if things continue like they are maintaining at the moment, I'm pretty sure that we can stick to this schedule."
This is the same as always... If they stick to their usual release behavior, I guess late 2020 will the heavy album single and 2021 the release.
I am very confident, that they will take a lot time to mix the orchestral album, since they worked for decades on the songs...

One more thing, i do not think, that they will release both albums in the same year...
Follow the blind
Your journey, your last hope, it can begin
These passing dreams were real no fantasy
There are more things than we know
Come take my hand

DREAMASTER

#6 Post by DREAMASTER » 22 Feb 2018 00:17

Interesting would be they replacing Charlie. His productions (mixing &mastering) for BG albuns have getting worse. The last album and live album sound terrible.
Behold the sword of power... Excalibur
Forged when the world was young
and bird and beast and flower were one with Man,
and Death was but a DREAM!!!

priderock

#7 Post by priderock » 14 Mar 2018 09:24

Well, it seems that in the next 3 and a half years we will probably get 3 releases - the orchestral album in 2019/Demons And Wizards in 2019 most probably/and the regular BG in 2021...
Prepare yourself, guys... This means like 30 new songs, when usually we get 10 for the same time(and even more)..
I really can't express my feelings right now...

Sometimes, I just want to skip all the releases and then in 2021 to make a playlist with all of those 30 songs and then take a long walk... I know I won't do that, but can you imagine it... A moment for a lifetime... :)

Ryu

#8 Post by Ryu » 05 Jun 2018 20:31

http://www.moshbit.pt/2018/02/12/entrev ... -guardian/

Here's a new interview with not much in the way of news, apart from Andre (!!! an Andre interview !!!) reaffirming the orchestral album will be arriving in 2019, and that a song written for the new heavy album will be about a very popular movie..
Defiant of destiny

Led Guardian

#9 Post by Led Guardian » 07 Jun 2018 21:09

You don’t wanna know my playtime! 😉 But for example, when World of Warcraft was released, I set my alarmclock, slept 3 hours and played 21hours every day for more than 3 month in a row! Ok you can discount 20 minutes for the pizza service of course. ;)))
I think we just learned why it takes so long between albums. :lol:
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Dragonfly

#10 Post by Dragonfly » 16 Sep 2018 23:44

Led Guardian wrote:
07 Jun 2018 21:09
You don’t wanna know my playtime! 😉 But for example, when World of Warcraft was released, I set my alarmclock, slept 3 hours and played 21hours every day for more than 3 month in a row! Ok you can discount 20 minutes for the pizza service of course. ;)))
Goddamnit, how did Andre not lose his sanity at the time? Or ability to actually play guitar when he obviously didn't have any time to rehearse or practice...

On the subject of this topic: if the next regular album is really going to be quite different from Beyond The Red Mirror that sounds like they should seriously diminish the role of the orchestra first and foremost. That's one point that springs to my mind. And the second one: maybe this new record could use a bit more folkish than usual approach, perhaps more acoustic/semi-acoustic songs that would compensate for the lack thereof on Beyond The Red Mirror. I don't know. I'd be glad to see them make a folkier album!
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

Led Guardian

#11 Post by Led Guardian » 17 Sep 2018 06:37

Dragonfly wrote:
16 Sep 2018 23:44
Led Guardian wrote:
07 Jun 2018 21:09
Goddamnit, how did Andre not lose his sanity at the time? Or ability to actually play guitar when he obviously didn't have any time to rehearse or practice...

On the subject of this topic: if the next regular album is really going to be quite different from Beyond The Red Mirror that sounds like they should seriously diminish the role of the orchestra first and foremost. That's one point that springs to my mind. And the second one: maybe this new record could use a bit more folkish than usual approach, perhaps more acoustic/semi-acoustic songs that would compensate for the lack thereof on Beyond The Red Mirror. I don't know. I'd be glad to see them make a folkier album!
I think he did, tbh. That ain't healthy. Glad he got it back lol.

On topic, next LP will have smooth jazz solos. :lol:
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

priderock

#12 Post by priderock » 17 Sep 2018 10:24

It's almost 4 full years and we didn't even have a single official info about the progress of the songs here. This is probably the driest period without info about the regular album but it's understandable since they're finally finishng the orchestral project right now. Anyway, a single info at least about the direction of the album will be great. :?
What I think is that it will be more medivial this time - the lack of choirs will be painfull for me, so I hope if they change the direction this time will lead just to using them differently :?

Dragonfly

#13 Post by Dragonfly » 17 Sep 2018 13:45

Led Guardian wrote:
17 Sep 2018 06:37

On topic, next LP will have smooth jazz solos. :lol:
I have nothing against that, especially if they do a cover version of a song that could use such solos. Might be a fun bonus track or something. :)
priderock wrote:
17 Sep 2018 10:24
It's almost 4 full years and we didn't even have a single official info about the progress of the songs here. This is probably the driest period without info about the regular album but it's understandable since they're finally finishng the orchestral project right now. Anyway, a single info at least about the direction of the album will be great. :?
What I think is that it will be more medivial this time - the lack of choirs will be painfull for me, so I hope if they change the direction this time will lead just to using them differently :?
I think it's that dry because of the orchestral album which is the next thing they're going to treat us with. I wonder if there is still hope for a January/February 2019 release or those plans have already fallen through...
Yes, a record that focuses more on the medieval side of the band would be amazing! And totally different from Beyond The Red Mirror.

priderock

#14 Post by priderock » 17 Sep 2018 14:49

No, I think early 2019 is by far in the past as a release date... I'm still hoping for late 2019 single, and early 2020 for the album(which seems really possible).
I think that Hansi might be ready at this point with all the vocals, but even if they're fully ready regarding to the recordings, I'm pretty sure they'll give it some time to think on it for last...
Then we have at least 8 months(this time) for the mixing and mastering + 3 or 4 months before it we'll be announced. So, as I said before - no 2019 for me :) Anyway, 2019 is great number, so who knows :D :twisted:

P.S. I doubt they'll give us some news before the release of all of the 10 re-isues... Most of the times the bands don't do that, cause it will distract the people from the current releases :? Which means that we won't get news about it before the begining of the next year(at least) :? In other words - be strong, guys, the dry period continues... :roll:

Dragonfly

#15 Post by Dragonfly » 18 Sep 2018 23:28

I don't know, I've still not given up hope for a 2019 release though usually I'm quite prone to despair. :? I'd say if something is going to hold them back now it would probably be the story component. I'd imagine that some sort of deluxe edition of the orchestral project will come with a book attached to it, though how thick it's gonna be - no one knows. Maybe just a CD booklet of considerable volume. If not - then what's the point of involving a professional writer? I honestly don't think there will be a significant postponement because of the music itself - pretty much everything looks to be ready if the interviews are anything to go by. So for me 2019 appears to be quite a fruitful year in terms of new music.

priderock

#16 Post by priderock » 19 Sep 2018 08:33

If that's true and we get it in 2019, then we can really hope for a regular album in 2021 :)

Dragonfly

#17 Post by Dragonfly » 20 Sep 2018 20:48

That sounds quite realistic to me. Though any kind of postponement is also very realistic when it comes to Blind Guardian. :|

Hansi
Bard

#18 Post by Hansi » 26 Sep 2018 19:35

No comment about the release date of this album from my side. The recordings will not be continued before the end of 2019 or the beginning of 2020. The 2 working titles mentioned in the interview would be "Architects of Doom" and "American Gods" - do not know, where this inspiration came from ...
Good thing, we are a good step further songwriting wise. I believe, by now we have finished five songs and there are two more, which can be considered ready(more or less). In the Guardian universe, this in total makes 60-70% of an album.

Dragonfly

#19 Post by Dragonfly » 26 Sep 2018 21:36

Hansi wrote:
26 Sep 2018 19:35
No comment about the release date of this album from my side. The recordings will not be continued before the end of 2019 or the beginning of 2020. The 2 working titles mentioned in the interview would be "Architects of Doom" and "American Gods" - do not know, where this inspiration came from ...
Good thing, we are a good step further songwriting wise. I believe, by now we have finished five songs and there are two more, which can be considered ready(more or less). In the Guardian universe, this in total makes 60-70% of an album.
Still great news, thank you! What do you think, will "Winter's Coming" from the Beyond The Red Mirror sessions considered for this new album? The heavy and fast one that was Marcus' idea. You mentioned it in one of info updates for that record.

Ryu

#20 Post by Ryu » 27 Sep 2018 21:07

Well Hansi, I'll try not to overwhelm you with needless fanboy prying, but we also can't be sure how long we have until you go back in to hiding..

Do you sense a unifying theme with the songs for this album, or is that something that develops late in production? I remember some Beyond the Red Mirror songs weren't originally centered on the concept story itself. "American Gods", if this is a nod to the Neil Gaiman novel, I anticipate the album's approach being akin to At the Edge of Time or A Twist in the Myth - disconnected songs all mostly discussing fiction or historical figures/mysticism.

And "the end of an era" was mentioned. In terms of orchestral pieces, I can imagine both Beyond the Red Mirror and the Orchestral Project may have satisfied the urge to go down that path for a while. If we can assume orchestral pieces will be less prominent on this album, what would you say we should expect in terms of sound?

This is of course assuming you want to linger in this den of madmen for very long. You made an appearance, I had to try. ;)
Defiant of destiny

Hansi
Bard

#21 Post by Hansi » 28 Sep 2018 17:31

I will have to ask Marcus for "Winter‘s Coming". It disappeared.
I doubt that BG 12 is going to have a unifying concept. We have not even spoken about that so far. The idea for topics certainly develops when I have a better overview about the songs. I only have very loose ideas about possible ways to go when I do my melody lines. BtRM was a different story and some things also were pure coincidence in the beginning and I loved that. At points during the early stages of the songwriting for BtRM I already dealt with "Imaginations ..." related topics, or ideas. Then in addition someone came up with the idea of an "Imaginations..." inspired production and the plan for the concept began to grow. There were many little things like that. "Doom" is just one other perfect example.
On the twelfth one there will be individual storytelling , myth and fiction for sure. The working title "American Gods" is originally inspired by Gaiman‘s work. I may also follow the basic philosophy of the story but will then turn into a different direction. As for the orchestra abuse on the last and the next album, there is quite a bit on it, agreed. But we will say farewell to that slowly. I would be surprised if we did not have orchestration on the twelfth. We will see. In the songwriting so far, it is considerably less :D The attempt to describe not finalized music is predestined to become a future failure. What I can say is, that the songs are not sounding like copies of anything we have done before. The one or the other part is even surprising to me. 24 months, more or less, from now, you will know.

Dragonfly

#22 Post by Dragonfly » 28 Sep 2018 18:47

Great! :) Sounds really promising to me! Please don't forget about the medieval side of Blind Guardian on this record since it was nearly absent on the last one. I for one am hungry for another song in the vein of "War Of The Thrones" or "Curse My Name" from "At The Edge Of Time". By the way, why wouldn't you guys play those songs live? Is it because they present some difficulties on stage, or you don't want to play them, or there hasn't been a great opportunity to introduce these songs to the live set? I am certain that quite a few people would get enraptured if you perform them one day. :D

Schelm

#23 Post by Schelm » 01 Oct 2018 17:51

I for one am hungry for another song in the vein of "War Of The Thrones" or "Curse My Name" from "At The Edge Of Time". By the way, why wouldn't you guys play those songs live?
Hansi once told that the idea of a second BG Festival is existing, where they play three times: one heavy, one acoustic and one orchestral set. I guess Curse my Name would be perfect for the acoustic set. But maybe Im dreaming too much :D

Dragonfly

#24 Post by Dragonfly » 01 Oct 2018 21:21

Schelm wrote:
01 Oct 2018 17:51
I for one am hungry for another song in the vein of "War Of The Thrones" or "Curse My Name" from "At The Edge Of Time". By the way, why wouldn't you guys play those songs live?
Hansi once told that the idea of a second BG Festival is existing, where they play three times: one heavy, one acoustic and one orchestral set. I guess Curse my Name would be perfect for the acoustic set. But maybe Im dreaming too much :D
It would indeed, but isn't it too long to wait for such a festival? I think these two songs could make a great addition to any Blind Guardian live set and serve as a substitution for "A Past And Future Secret" and "Lord Of The Rings", along with songs like "Skalds And Shadows" and "Harvest Of Sorrow" (hell, I wish they played "Harvest" more often...) Though who knows, maybe there is a specific reason why the band never play them.