Interview 2017

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Max

Interview 2017

#1 Post by Max » 26 Jul 2017 16:32

Here is an Inteview from german guitar magazine:

Since I am not sure about copying the text is legal, I will just do a free translation here:

guitar 8/17:

Q:
Marcus, how did you choose the songs for the new live album? Are all of you listening to 30 versions of 20 songs day for day?
A:
Kinda. We did record more than 30 shows, but those were from the first european block of the tour. Everyone is making notes and there will be matching afterwards. At sometime there is a match - hopfully...

Q:
If you listen to "Mirror Mirror" for the fifth time, do you wish that someone makes a fault and you can go on to the next recording?
A:
Yes. (laughing). It is demanding. But we did exchange some songs of the setlist every evening. And we wanted to get the best performance for the album. So we had to sit through.

Q:
Exchaning the set list every evening is unusual for "big" bands. E.g. Iron Maiden does not and Metallica does exchange most songs. Whats your opinion?
A:
I think it is very important: If you are planning to release a live album, you have more songs to choose. Further people visiting more than one show will hear different sets. Most important, in a two year tour, it would be boring routine to play the same setlist.

Q:
But choosing freely is not possible, since you cannot leave the stage without performaing "bards songs"...?
A:
Your would laugh, we did gigs without the bards song. But if we do, there will be many question marks in the faces of the audience. But sometimes we have the cheekiness to leave out "set" songs like valhalla. I think it is okay, since they are not the only songs running good live.

Q:
Are there songs, you really do not like anymore?
A:
Sure, Majesty and Valhalla. But I cannot be bothered to play them, since i know the people go crazy when we play them. They are not my favourites for rehearse/practice; I would choose more sophisticated songs.
(Edit: Thanx Rabbit, I've checked the dictionary and updated the statement here)

Q:
BG is work self-sufficent at there own speed and studio for quite a long time. How is everyday-life going on? Do you meet daily at the studio to create metal-hymns?
A:
Not really. Everyone has his equipment at home. Only Hansi is from time to time in the studio in Oedt for business matters and vocal recording. I do not have a fixed time for music. But I am playing guitar every day...

Q:
Even after 35 years at the axe?
A:
Yes, it's just fun.

Q:
You have started in the mid 80s as Metal-fans and nerds. Since then the band is funtioning. But you never have been trendy or rock stars or the cool thing...?
A:
I agree with you - we did not plan to be that at no time. The hot thing of the month is forgotten next month. We always wanted to to, what WE wanted to do - and we always did. This is one of the reasons why we are keep going. We still have the same goals and the same preferences.

Q:
The coice of job has worked for you. Gratulations. Sharing the same preerences after 30 years is not self evident. Your interest in fantasy, your epic width and your nerdyness e.g.: Usually people evolve on this or just change. Did that happen in your band history?
A:
Funnily not (within the band). Obviously we did evolve musically: Starting with NWoBHM, Trash and Speedmetal. Naturally our stilistic preferences did change over the years. In the 80s I've been listening to metal exclusively. At sometime I have listened to different stuff. Thats the same for all of us. Andre for example loves the Rolling Stones. Hansi likes Prog. I am more to Death- and Black-Metal. But that does'nt mean that our songs will have Rolling Stones riffs and Death-Metal singing. Our vision of BG has never changed.

Q:
At the beginning of your carreer all of you were in school. There is a rumor that one of you has stayn down a year in school in order to be student for a longer time which was easier for making music?
A:
No, that's not true, but i really like that rumor (laughing). I did really stay down one year, but that is owd to our record contract while i was in the 11th year of school. Because of the recording and a small tour I did get bad marks in some classes. At the time I did pass my A levels, FTB was release and we were working on the Tales. Afterwards I did my civialian service (german thing, no real translation for that). After finishing this, alls of us were able to life from the band (as job). This envolvement was like a picture story. We have been very lucky.

Q:
Did you tell your parents at the age of 17: Mum, dad, dear teachers, I will be away from school for 2 months in order to record an album?
A:
Almost. I have been naive and requested special leave since some semi professionals in sports were always granted to do. Since I have been a long-haired metal head, my request was rejected. Nevertheless I have been to the studio for 3 weeks. On my return I was sent directly to principal who wanted me to leave school.
Since my mum has been working for a doctor, the prinpical ask her, why she did no sick certificate for me. My mother just asked if he wants to be told a lie....
When we were recording FTB, my mom did a sick certificate for 3 or 4 weeks and the school could not do anything about it. My teacher for math did hate me at that time. On the first day of my return I was sent to the blackboard in order to solve some problems. He gave me 3 bad marks that day. I have not been fussed on that... I have been supported by my parents as long as I would pass the a levels. I've been fine with that.
The plan has been to get professional with BG. We did practise every day and spend all of our money for the band. We had no real claims and were living at our parents homes...
Last edited by Max on 28 Jul 2017 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
Follow the blind
Your journey, your last hope, it can begin
These passing dreams were real no fantasy
There are more things than we know
Come take my hand

Led Guardian

Re: Interview 2017

#2 Post by Led Guardian » 26 Jul 2017 17:26

Cool interview. Some interesting questions about Marcus' past. I bet his parents feel good about supporting him and letting him take that time off to record albums, since 30 years later he's still at it. :mrgreen:
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

JazzJackrabbit

Re: Interview 2017

#3 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 27 Jul 2017 15:22

Max wrote:
26 Jul 2017 16:32
Q:
Are there songs, you really do not like anymore?
A:
Sure, Majesty and Valhalla. But i will not bother to play them, since i know the people go crazy when we play them. They are not my favourites for rehearse/practice; I would choose more sophisticated songs.
Did you mean to say something like, "It doesn't bother me to play them"? Because what you have right now seems to suggest the opposite. :P