Live Beyond The Spheres New Live Album

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
DREAMASTER

Live Beyond The Spheres New Live Album

#1 Post by DREAMASTER » 29 Jun 2017 02:29

So far from what has been heard from the videos, the mixing is some is terrible. It sounds lifeless, powerless and sound like recorded live in studio. I hope the overall album is not like this.
Behold the sword of power... Excalibur
Forged when the world was young
and bird and beast and flower were one with Man,
and Death was but a DREAM!!!

Led Guardian

Re: Live Beyond The Spheres New Live Album

#2 Post by Led Guardian » 29 Jun 2017 02:46

The recordings themselves sound good, but yeah, the lack of crowd noise has been rather disappointing, especially in comparison to Live.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

sciacallo010

#3 Post by sciacallo010 » 29 Jun 2017 09:21

Led Guardian wrote:
29 Jun 2017 02:46
The recordings themselves sound good, but yeah, the lack of crowd noise has been rather disappointing, especially in comparison to Live.
I agree, I listened to the album just a couple of time (it's sooo long) but it's pretty good, having the crowd slightly louder would have been nice, tho.

priderock

#4 Post by priderock » 29 Jun 2017 10:56

From what I've heard so far, it sounds good, but really steril. I just think that this kind of clean production is good for a studio album, but not that much for a live one, cause its hard to feel the atmosphere. I just can't hear the back vocals and also the crowd. Anyway, the performances are great, especially the TOTG ones. Cant wait to hear the whole album :D

sciacallo010

#5 Post by sciacallo010 » 03 Jul 2017 23:08

Actually I was listening to the album yesterday while going to their show and the crowd wasn't as "quite" (or at low volume) as I remembered, it's actually quite nice!

Led Guardian

#6 Post by Led Guardian » 05 Jul 2017 18:09

I'll post this interview/trailer here, on the small chance that there is a person who comes here but isn't connected to BG's Facebook page. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P41YoDamAJE
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

nyobit

#7 Post by nyobit » 05 Jul 2017 19:58

Led Guardian wrote:
05 Jul 2017 18:09
there is a person who comes here but isn't connected to BG's Facebook page
Thank you :D

Ryu

#8 Post by Ryu » 06 Jul 2017 02:19

The mixing seems more solid on the actual album and the backing vocals do seem more noticeable, oddly on some songs way more than others. Could be overdubs. Wheel of Time sounds absolutely incredible, to my surprise somewhat. Another highlight: no awkward falsetto during Tanelorn. Somehow.
Defiant of destiny

Led Guardian

#9 Post by Led Guardian » 06 Jul 2017 04:14

Ryu wrote:
06 Jul 2017 02:19
The mixing seems more solid on the actual album and the backing vocals do seem more noticeable, oddly on some songs way more than others. Could be overdubs. Wheel of Time sounds absolutely incredible, to my surprise somewhat. Another highlight: no awkward falsetto during Tanelorn. Somehow.
That's kinda disappointing. Those high notes were some of the highlights of the studio version. He didn't do them when I saw that song live.

priderock

#10 Post by priderock » 06 Jul 2017 05:36

Just heard the Bards song and even that there are like thousands of live versions I was blown away by this one.. :D The part ""in the dark and COOOOLD" is just ouststanding..
P.S. The mix is way, way better than what we heard on youtube! just great actually!!! Still not hear the whole album :)

Ryu

#11 Post by Ryu » 06 Jul 2017 06:29

Led Guardian wrote:
06 Jul 2017 04:14
Ryu wrote:
That's kinda disappointing. Those high notes were some of the highlights of the studio version. He didn't do them when I saw that song live.
Oh, I mean to say, he is legitimately hitting the note in this recording. In some live bootlegs I've heard, it sounds ... off? Heady, falsetto-y. Whereas this one sounds like it's coming from his chest. I'm terrible at describing things

Suffice to say he sounds as good or better than he did on Live at times

Twister

#12 Post by Twister » 06 Jul 2017 12:33

For someone who still has to listen to its copy - any clues of where every track was recorded, maybe here and there? :)
"Well, I was about to announce the next song, but I think we'll have to skip it...
Yeah, because we have a pretty sad song here, and you all seem so happy to me...!"

(Hansi Kursch)

priderock

#13 Post by priderock » 06 Jul 2017 13:17

Twister wrote:
06 Jul 2017 12:33
For someone who still has to listen to its copy - any clues of where every track was recorded, maybe here and there? :)
And Then There Was Silence - Dusseldorf
And the Story Ends - Dusseldorf
Bard's Song - Dusseldorf
Fly -Warsaw
Bright Eyes - Paris
Imaginations From The Ther Side - Hamburg

Thats all I can say by just listening to it :?

Twister

#14 Post by Twister » 06 Jul 2017 14:26

Thank you!
I hope there's a track from the Milan show, too. :)

A friend was at the Dusseldorf show and she agreed that it was amazing - especially ATTWS! No doubt they chose many songs from that show!
"Well, I was about to announce the next song, but I think we'll have to skip it...
Yeah, because we have a pretty sad song here, and you all seem so happy to me...!"

(Hansi Kursch)

priderock

#15 Post by priderock » 06 Jul 2017 15:03

Yeah, I think there's at least 2 from Italy by hearing Hansi speaking, but he never says the town actually.
Anyway, yes, the performances are absolutely top notch. Some of the songs sounds more like a different versions than the album ones, instead of a live performance, which is really interesting.
The album is really great! Wheel Of Time is also one of the highlights here :)

P.S. Does anyone know who is making the back vocals on APAFS - they're absolutely great? :o

Led Guardian

#16 Post by Led Guardian » 06 Jul 2017 17:52

Ryu wrote:
06 Jul 2017 06:29
Oh, I mean to say, he is legitimately hitting the note in this recording. In some live bootlegs I've heard, it sounds ... off? Heady, falsetto-y. Whereas this one sounds like it's coming from his chest. I'm terrible at describing things

Suffice to say he sounds as good or better than he did on Live at times
Ohhhh, I understand now. I thought you meant he was doing it in a lower register like he sometimes does. That is a highlight indeed!
priderock wrote:
06 Jul 2017 05:36
Just heard the Bards song and even that there are like thousands of live versions I was blown away by this one.. :D The part ""in the dark and COOOOLD" is just ouststanding..
P.S. The mix is way, way better than what we heard on youtube! just great actually!!! Still not hear the whole album :)
Really glad to hear that the mixing is better than the youtube videos. Now I'm more excited! And also wondering why so many people have already gotten to hear it...

ErHaO

#17 Post by ErHaO » 06 Jul 2017 18:17

Ryu wrote:
06 Jul 2017 06:29
Led Guardian wrote:
06 Jul 2017 04:14
Ryu wrote:
I get what you mean, but I think his use of the falsetto screams recently sounded good, see Wacken 2016 or Hellfest 2016 for example. He has gotten way better at Tanelorn in comparison to the early days. Interesting to hear he hits the notes differently on this album though.

priderock

#18 Post by priderock » 06 Jul 2017 22:00

Valhalla - Duseldorff again :) It seems that it's been one hell of a concert :)

sciacallo010

#19 Post by sciacallo010 » 07 Jul 2017 10:46

The Ninth Wave and Nightfall are from italian shows, dunno if it's Milan or Rome, I hope it says something about it in the booklet.

Twister

#20 Post by Twister » 07 Jul 2017 11:42

Nightfall is surely from the Rome show, I have a video of the performance of Nightfall in Milan and it has a different introduction.
The Ninth Wave could very possibly be from Milan, I remember Hansi saying "Keep in mind this is just the beginning" because we started chanting for every single band member (this part sadly was cut off, but of course, it lasted quite a bit! :) )

(Hansi Kursch)

JazzJackrabbit

#21 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 07 Jul 2017 15:59

Have to agree on the lack of crowd noise in the mix. I'm listening to Nightfall right now and like....what's the point of even putting this song on the album if I can't even hear the crowd during the chorus?? I shouldn't be able to hear the backing vocals more clearly than the audience, especially for THAT song.

ErHaO

#22 Post by ErHaO » 07 Jul 2017 17:29

Listened to it a couple of times. Some thoughts:

Audio is very clear, almost like a studio live perfromance at times. That has pros and cons for me. The instuments can be appreciated very well, especially hearing the bass so clear is great. It does, however, detract a bit from the live feeling. The vocals, be it Hansi, the backing vocals, or the crowd, are pretty isolated and the latter two are often a bit low in the mix (not always, so it is a delibirate decision on song by song basis). Backing vocals also sound "thin", moreso than usual. It took me a while to get used to, but overall I think it sounds good. Though during the Imaginations/Nightfall songs I would've preffered just a tad more crowd noise, especially since these are the songs where Hansi could use some help (don't get me wrong, the album is full of great Hansi moments, but the guy is still 50 and some of the songs of that era are demanding/written in a way that doesn't suit his current capabilites as good).

Random remarks the songs/tracklisting:
-Wheel of Time is a highlight and and Ninth Wave is also awesome. They suit Hansi's current vocals very well. The other two epics, ATTWS and Sacred Worlds, are great too.
-I love the band on Fly, the song is actually pretty groovy like this. Unexpected highlight for me.
-The speedy older songs sound great, especially Majesty is nice.
-Ballads sound great. I think Hansi sings them better than on Live, and Hansi's German accent is also noticably less than on Live (just compared LotR and APaFS of the two albums).
JazzJackrabbit wrote:
07 Jul 2017 15:59
Have to agree on the lack of crowd noise in the mix. I'm listening to Nightfall right now and like....what's the point of even putting this song on the album if I can't even hear the crowd during the chorus?? I shouldn't be able to hear the backing vocals more clearly than the audience, especially for THAT song.
Actually, the backing vocals being more clear than the crowd during the chorus is the case on Live as well. But I'd argue both should have been a tad louder for more impact.

JazzJackrabbit

#23 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 07 Jul 2017 19:24

ErHaO wrote:
07 Jul 2017 17:29
JazzJackrabbit wrote:
07 Jul 2017 15:59
Actually, the backing vocals being more clear than the crowd during the chorus is the case on Live as well. But I'd argue both should have been a tad louder for more impact.
I think it sounds perfect on ITTLG which is what I had in mind for a comparison.

Traveller in Time

#24 Post by Traveller in Time » 08 Jul 2017 20:05

personally: i love it. The background singing is really awesome and Hansi puts so much passion especiall in ATTWS. It's a pretty good mix with all (crowd, vocals, guitars, drums, bass).
Hansi really does some harsh screaming.
The only disappointment is the missing gems and that there is no info about where the single songs were recorded.
BTW on headphones it sounded much better than on my stereo.....
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

ThePKH

#25 Post by ThePKH » 11 Jul 2017 12:27

Sounds good thus far. I agree with what some others have been saying, that the audience should be slightly louder.
It's a live album ffs, and a Blind Guardian live album on top of that.
I still am the terror that flaps in the night!

duchessdeer

#26 Post by duchessdeer » 14 Jul 2017 12:49

priderock wrote:
06 Jul 2017 22:00
Valhalla - Duseldorff again :) It seems that it's been one hell of a concert :)
That's what I thought :lol:

Gamarej

#27 Post by Gamarej » 14 Jul 2017 21:02

Hello people, it's my first post in this forum!

I noticed something while listening to the "Live Beyond The Spheres" album. In about 07:21 of "The Last Candle" Hansi shouts "Give me pleasure, Ljubljana!". :D So another venue is figured out!

Also doesn't he mention Warsaw in the end of "Banish From Sanctuary"? It's part of his scream directed to the audience, I'm not sure if I heard it well...

Max

#28 Post by Max » 17 Jul 2017 11:23

This is what we know so far:

Track, Title, Time, Country, City, Notice
1, The Ninth Wave , 10:23, Italy, Rome,
2, Banish From Sanctuary , 06:09, Poland, Warsaw,
3, Nightfall , 06:33, Italy, Rome,
4, Prophecies , 05:40, , , english
5, Tanelorn , 06:28, , , english
6, The Last Candle , 08:11, Slovenia, Ljubljana,
7, And Then There Was Silence , 15:54, Germany, Dusseldorf,

1, The Lord Of The Rings , 05:20, , , english
2, Fly , 05:58, Poland, Warsaw,
3, Bright Eyes , 05:42, France, Paris,
4, Lost In The Twilight Hall , 06:55, Germany, , "megageil" (not Berlin)
5, Imaginations From The Other Side , 07:43, Germany, Hamburg,
6, Into The Storm , 04:33, , ,
7, Twilight Of The Gods , 05:57, , , english/german end
8, A Past And Future Secret , 04:26, , Leipzig/Munich/Pratteln/Krefeld, german/heimspiel
9, And The Story Ends , 07:13, Germany, Dusseldorf,

1, Sacred Worlds , 08:00, , ,
2, The Bard’s Song (In The Forest) , 04:36, Germany, Dusseldorf, intro english
3, Valhalla , 08:35, Germany, Dusseldorf,
4, Wheel Of Time , 09:33, , , english
5, Majesty , 08:39, , , english
6, Mirror Mirror , 06:46, , Pratteln/Bamberg/Berlin, only 2 shows without video, others shows videos have different movement by Hansi

Furthermore I wrote a request at NuclearBlast in order to reveal the venues/locations. Hopefully i get an answer.
Follow the blind
Your journey, your last hope, it can begin
These passing dreams were real no fantasy
There are more things than we know
Come take my hand

Max

#29 Post by Max » 19 Jul 2017 15:12

Sorry for double Post,

Nuclear Blast told me, that they do not know about the locations.
BUT the colleages from the production did forward the request directly to the band.

This means, it's up to the bards to answer (or not) ;-)
Follow the blind
Your journey, your last hope, it can begin
These passing dreams were real no fantasy
There are more things than we know
Come take my hand

Traveller in Time

#30 Post by Traveller in Time » 19 Jul 2017 21:31

Cool, thank you for your efforts.
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Led Guardian

#31 Post by Led Guardian » 19 Jul 2017 22:47

Max wrote:
19 Jul 2017 15:12
Sorry for double Post,

Nuclear Blast told me, that they do not know about the locations.
BUT the colleages from the production did forward the request directly to the band.

This means, it's up to the bards to answer (or not) ;-)
I wouldn't count on it. I just read an interview with Marcus where the interviewer asked him this, and he said they wanted to leave it up to the fans to figure it out.

Gamarej

#32 Post by Gamarej » 25 Jul 2017 20:48

Led Guardian wrote:
19 Jul 2017 22:47
I just read an interview with Marcus where the interviewer asked him this, and he said they wanted to leave it up to the fans to figure it out.
So here we are, figuring it out :D
A friend of mine found this one: If you listen to a few last seconds of "Banish From Sanctuary" and twelve first seconds of "Nightfall" and then to a bootleg-quality YouTube video titled "Blind Guardian - Nightfall (Warszawa Progresja 26-05-2015)" it comes out that actually "Nightfall" is from Warsaw, not "Banish From Sanctuary".

Shadow_Zero

#33 Post by Shadow_Zero » 26 Jul 2017 17:13

priderock wrote:
06 Jul 2017 15:03
P.S. Does anyone know who is making the back vocals on APAFS - they're absolutely great? :o
If it's from the Dutch show that would be me :mrgreen:
(but I thought the keyboard player usually did the backup vocals on APAFS)

Still need to get the cd! >_< (but something to look forward to, still)

Beorn

#34 Post by Beorn » 29 Jul 2017 04:28

Have to say it sounds really flat. No crowd noise. The music sounds overproduced. My only knock on the band is that they put too many overdubs and backing tracks into their studio songs. When they play the tracks as backing live, it sounds too technical. They miss a lot of the raw energy. Live was infinitely better. The track list is uninspiring as well. They could have put on a bunch of the backtracks that only made 3-4 shows. That would have definitely compensated for the lack of crowd noise.

ari

#35 Post by ari » 11 Sep 2017 14:46

Listening to ATTWS now, on my headphone tube amp I built and a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250ohm cans.

The lead guitar sounds awesome, and Hansi's voice is very upfront and raw. Bass is sitting in the mix really well - better than studio albums!
Marcus' rhythm guitar is furious but still sitting too far behind the drums for my liking. Unfortunate, I like his style with the long chords.

Crowd noise, or the lack of, doesn't really bother me. It's there in the important parts for the sing-a-longs. I'd much rather the orgasmic tones from Andre and the nuanced keyboards in this case.

MAJESTY!

Plenty of crowd here...ripping intro, Hansi sounds like a God. Frederick and The Bear are thumping it, but I do miss that overdub bass line from Live in Tokyo...
I kind of forgot about the audience until they appeared in the chorus then bridge...then it's back to the furious riffage.

Onto Prophecies, you really begin to realise how challenging the vocal lines are. The first verse alone has such a variety of vocal transitions. I do prefer thios song after the first chorus though...some of the intros on Beyond The Red Mirror are so vastly different to the actual songs, I am not sure if it is genius or just weird. That said, every single BG song stands alone and with unique intros.

I think I heard some crowd singing here :)

With Tanelorn rumbling along I will leave this mini review here.