2012's new "And Then There Was Silence"

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
BRi7X

2012's new "And Then There Was Silence"

#1 Post by BRi7X » 10 Jun 2017 07:03

:?:

Was the version of "And Then There Was Silence" on 2012's "Memories of a Time to Come" recorded with a real orchestra?
-Byronius Zedricks Septdicius Ativos, of Aldania, the blessed realm.

Facebook ; Last.fm

Darth Arrow

Re: 2012's new "And Then There Was Silence"

#2 Post by Darth Arrow » 14 Jun 2017 13:38

Unfortunately no, it still uses samples :(

This was debated back when it was announced that ATTWS was getting a new recording for MoaTtC, as many, myself included, thought that the only reason they would want to rerecord ATTWS only ten years after the original would be to have the option to use a real orchestra. I myself still can't understand why they bothered to rerecord the song when they didn't use a real orchestra, it was a huge disappointment to me personally.

BRi7X

Re: 2012's new "And Then There Was Silence"

#3 Post by BRi7X » 23 Jun 2017 14:53

Likewise! Although they (Charlie?) did a pretty damn good job at making it sound more authentic than the first, I'd say.

I've had a bit of recent experience with Orchestral VSTi's [plugins] for some of my original music, and the level of realism you can achieve is quite, quite impressive. The specific plugin I use has each velocity of each note of each instrument sampled separately, in addition to different types of playing for that instrument (staccato, pizzicato, tremolo, etc)... and then you can take it even further with the controls of the DAW and VST audio effects on top of that.

I do like parts of the new version over the old and vice versa. Usually, the first version of a song that I hear is the one that I'll end up liking (even if it's a cover.) But this is such a dynamic song.

It is truly surprising and a bit disappointing that they didn't rerecord it with a real orchestra during ATEOT production or even retrofit it during BTRM production. Though, I suspect that the orchestras can't be cheap. and it's not quite something that they can be like, "oh hey, we have this fourteen minute song that could use a touch up real' quick. we can probably get it in before lunch." haha. But then again, they went in and recorded real orchestra for Sacred. So who effing knows.

I think one of the reasons they didn't do it is because they were (I think...) recording much more than songs from the album.... they were recording pieces for this mythical orchestral album that we soon shall hopefully be able to listen to!
-Byronius Zedricks Septdicius Ativos, of Aldania, the blessed realm.

Facebook ; Last.fm