Forgotten Bard Songs ---- Most underrated/overlooked songs?

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
TheMetalPigeon

Forgotten Bard Songs ---- Most underrated/overlooked songs?

#1 Post by TheMetalPigeon » 09 Mar 2016 17:38

Hail Blind Guardian fans, I've recently published a piece on the metal blog I write on what I consider to be the best of Blind Guardian's most overlooked / underrated songs. It can be found directly here:

http://themetalpigeon.com/2016/03/07/fo ... dian-gems/

Wondering what the BG community here thinks of the list and what you would consider to be your own list for the most overlooked/underrated BG songs?!

priderock

Re: Forgotten Bard Songs ---- Most underrated/overlooked son

#2 Post by priderock » 09 Mar 2016 22:12

Great post, man!!! I really like the descriptions for the songs, especially the one about Noldor! I share the same feelings with this one... And, yeah, because of moments like this BG is probably the most majestic thing in the music world!

As for me, the most underrated BG songs are:

Thorn - probably my favourite song from this album! This song has that spiritual feeling for me, as you described about Noldor. The chorus, especially the climax in the first one, is probably one of the best things in the epic history!

At The Edge Of Time - I know it's too early to say that this song is underrated, but I have the feeling that it might become, because it will be hard for the band to promote something like this!
But what can I say here - probably the best vocal lines I have ever heard in my life! Those opera lines are like a winds coming - especially the ones at the end of the song! This is probably the most motivational thing I have ever heard(especially the beginning and the ending), containing my favourite opera composition! This song is like the whole Lion King soundtrack, but on steroids!!!!! Seriously, look at the first three vocal lines on the ending: "I Don't Look Back, There's More In Me, My Hour Shall Come" - it's like the Mifasa's roar, but also on steroids! Then we have: "Then Straight Ahead" and "That's When The Ancient Gods Retuuuuuurn" - I mean, seriously, those two lines sounds giantic, not like from human being, but from how God would sound if we can hear his voice... Probably my favourite song ever!

Under The Ice - it's impossible to skip this chorus - it's like choirs of angels singing together! My God, Such a bless for the ears... That's exactly what I call a catchy chorus, even from the first listening!

Road Of No Release - probably in my top ten of BG songs! This song is so theatrical, containing this beautiful and touching dark vibe in it! Such a complex and glorious piece of music! I love it!!!

Valkyries

The Maiden And The Minestrel Night

Somewhere Far Beyond

Twilight Of The Gods

Age Of False Innocence

Theatre Of Pain

I just don't have the time to write about each of these songs, but to me they are kind of underrated - some of them from the band, some of them from the fans - and also some of my favourite BG songs ever!

TheMetalPigeon

#3 Post by TheMetalPigeon » 10 Mar 2016 17:25

Interesting list, I should qualify that I left off the newest album (Red Mirror) simply because its so new, in a way all of its songs are underrated by default right now. That being said, in a few years time I think "Distant Memories" and your choice "At the Edge of Time" will be two candidates for being underrated/overlooked. I do enjoy the latter quite a bit, particularly that moment early in the song where Hansi delivers a really emotional vocal (Who'll grant me wings to fly? / And will I have another try?"), its one of my favorite moments on the album.

Thorn has been the surprising choice for alot of people from the feedback I've gotten, particularly in the US Power Metal Connection group on Facebook, and it has a fantastic chorus, spiritual as you suggested, but I don't think I've ever held it in esteem as much as Noldor. Good picks on Age of False Innocence and Under the Ice, they really benefited from the remixed album on the boxed set.

I notice you had nothing from Twist in the Myth, no potential candidates from there at all?

priderock

#4 Post by priderock » 10 Mar 2016 19:29

Distant Memories, yes, I totally missed that one, but you're right about it..! This piece is so beautiful..!

As for a Twist In The Myth, actually I really love this album, even that some people do not like it. Yes, it's not as epic as the other ones, but it's still a thousands time better than almost anything else on the market! I really enjoy it every time, I'm listening to it! Fuckin love it!!! But, on the other hand, what I don't like about it is the production it has. That's why I put it out from some qualifications sometimes., What I can say is that I'm really happy after the release of ATGTSAT, cause after its release, except for ATITM, every BG album has a great production and mixing. But if I have to say something about the songs there, I have to say that my choices for underrated songs are:

Straight Through The Mirror

Lionheart

The New Order

P.S. I really hope to see the remixed version of this album soon... The new This Will Never End sounds fantastic
Last edited by priderock on 11 Mar 2016 02:32, edited 1 time in total.

Max

#5 Post by Max » 10 Mar 2016 22:53

Very interesting post!

I would list the following:

Follow the blind.
So awesome guitar solos. Hansi's demanding to follow them... Actually my favourite song atm.

Theatre of Pain.

Blood Tears/Thorn/When sorrow sang
So much feeling and drama.

The Maiden and minstrel Knight.
Follow the blind
Your journey, your last hope, it can begin
These passing dreams were real no fantasy
There are more things than we know
Come take my hand

JazzJackrabbit

#6 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 12 Mar 2016 01:11

Great post! I agree with a lot of your choices but I will say that I think Lionheart is one of BG's worst songs. I despise it. :P

I also agree with Max on Follow The Blind....it's fantastic. I would add in The Eldar, This Will Never End, Run For The Night, and Miracle Machine as being underrated.

Freak666

#7 Post by Freak666 » 12 Mar 2016 23:32

For me it's "The Edge" from ATITM

Drahcir

#8 Post by Drahcir » 17 Mar 2016 04:56

I agree with many of priderock's choices, especially At the Edge of Time, Theater of Pain, Under the Ice, The Maiden and The Minstrel Night, and Vaklyries.

At the Edge of Time is my favorite song Beyond the Red Mirror.

Schelm

#9 Post by Schelm » 20 Mar 2016 18:09

It is very interesting to see, that some songs are mentioned very often, for example The Maiden and the Minstrel Knight.
Songs I find underrated are:

The Bard's Song (The Hobbit) -> Every time I hear the guitar harmony during the verses and the outro it gives me goosebumps. The music matches perfectly the content and atmosphere of the lyrics, and furthermore the lyrics are about Middle-Earth. What more do you want?

The maiden and the minstrel Knight -> Nothing more to say. Just an incredibly beautiful piece of music.

Ashes to ashes -> Even not knowing that this song is about the death of Hansi's father, it always was one of the most emotional Blind Guardian songs for me. The chorus sounds just like it was coming from the realm of the dead. Very striking and touching lyrics.

Turn the Page -> Together with Fly this is the best song on A Twist in the Myth, I think. I love its cheerfulness.

Black Chamber -> short, melancholy, dark and perfect. I like the Somewhere version more than the Forgotten Tales version.

Sacred Mind --> In my opinion this song was not given enough appreciation during the discussion of BTRM. The awesome tempo change and the absolute catchy and unique chorus make it one of the album's best songs.

Other honorable mentions:
Curse my Name
A dark passage

clintilona

#10 Post by clintilona » 01 Apr 2016 05:39

At the Edge of Time (song) underrated? That piece of crap is the most overrated song that the amatuer BG fanboys have ever latched onto. Give me a break. The song is uninspired and soulless. Remove that song from Beyond the Red Mirror (bonus tracks included) and you have the best thing BG has ever done. They should've sat on it until the orchestral album, instead of interrupting the flow of perfection on BtRM.

priderock

#11 Post by priderock » 01 Apr 2016 06:37

clintilona wrote:At the Edge of Time (song) underrated? That piece of crap is the most overrated song that the amatuer BG fanboys have ever latched onto. Give me a break. The song is uninspired and soulless. Remove that song from Beyond the Red Mirror (bonus tracks included) and you have the best thing BG has ever done. They should've sat on it until the orchestral album, instead of interrupting the flow of perfection on BtRM.

It seems that the most uninspired and soulless thing are your ears...
And seriously, what kind of guy you have to be for calling somebody "fanboys", just because they prefer a song you don't like..??? I'm sorry, man, but you're just a pure idiot... The song is probably the perfection that you'll never be...

P.S... You just won the cup for the most stupid and pointless comment ever... ;) But I don't blame you - this song is too complex for a lot of people actually

P.S.2. Today is 1-st of April so I guess that all you said was just a stupid joke ;)

Traveller in Time

#12 Post by Traveller in Time » 03 Apr 2016 13:36

clintilona wrote:At the Edge of Time (song) underrated? That piece of crap is the most overrated song that the amatuer BG fanboys have ever latched onto. Give me a break. The song is uninspired and soulless. Remove that song from Beyond the Red Mirror (bonus tracks included) and you have the best thing BG has ever done. They should've sat on it until the orchestral album, instead of interrupting the flow of perfection on BtRM.
Why have yo rated it with an 7 then? i would expect after such words an 0 to 2 rating then :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44668&p=1455612#p1455612
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Led Guardian

#13 Post by Led Guardian » 03 Apr 2016 22:53

I feel like half the discussions on this board now are about whether At the Edge of Time is fantastic or terrible. :P

I've listened to it probably 30 times or so by now, and still think it's incredibly overrated by people on this forum (don't know about listeners overall). I finally decided it's actually my second least favorite song in the IFTOS and forward era, after Carry the Blessed Home. Meandering melodies, promising build-ups that never deliver, orchestral melodies that I still can't call to mind after 30 listens. I'm just not sure what happened there. It feels like they're just constantly holding back what could have been a great song, not letting it go where it wants to. I don't think I'll ever understand what it is about the song that some people love, because it does almost nothing for me. It's probably a 6 or something. Nothing that makes me want to not listen to it, but nothing that makes me want to listen to it either.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Drahcir

#14 Post by Drahcir » 04 Apr 2016 01:01

Led Guardian wrote:I feel like half the discussions on this board now are about whether At the Edge of Time is fantastic or terrible. :P

I've listened to it probably 30 times or so by now, and still think it's incredibly overrated by people on this forum (don't know about listeners overall). I finally decided it's actually my second least favorite song in the IFTOS and forward era, after Carry the Blessed Home. Meandering melodies, promising build-ups that never deliver, orchestral melodies that I still can't call to mind after 30 listens. I'm just not sure what happened there. It feels like they're just constantly holding back what could have been a great song, not letting it go where it wants to. I don't think I'll ever understand what it is about the song that some people love, because it does almost nothing for me. It's probably a 6 or something. Nothing that makes me want to not listen to it, but nothing that makes me want to listen to it either.
For me it's the brooding atmosphere that doesn't let go until the end. It's intense. The chorus lets one breath with its melody but then the song goes back to its hellish winding path (in a good way). That's just how I feel when listening to it.

bard_92

#15 Post by bard_92 » 04 Apr 2016 02:22

It's my favourite song on the album too, probably the most intense song on the album to me!
Everything is so giantic and gentle here and it's so beautifully leading to the climax in the album - the last minute of the song, which is the best opera part I have ever heard!
It's interesting how this song goes in two directions - "most favourite" or "last favourite"! I guess that's exactly what real art means ;)

Andreas

#16 Post by Andreas » 24 Apr 2016 18:26

My favourite hipster BG song is Precious Jerusalem. Other than that, I'm also into A Dark Passage, All the King's Horses, Age of False Innocence, Harvest of Sorrow.
Led Guardian wrote:I feel like half the discussions on this board now are about whether At the Edge of Time is fantastic or terrible. :P
I'd like to give a new version then :P
It's a really interesting song. For me, BG+orchestra=win, so it shouldn't be different in this case. And I can't point out any flaws.
However, every time I listen to BTRM, I kinda lose my attention when ATEOT plays. Not that it's boring, but to me it has this weird quality that it makes me want to sleep or something. Might have something to do with the fact that I was suffering from Pfeiffer's disease around the time it came out. Anyway, it's really hard for me to stay focused for the whole song.

bard_92

#17 Post by bard_92 » 24 Apr 2016 20:50

Andreas, my vision is exactly the opposite at some points :D
To me, the climax in the album comes here(At The Edge Of Time), cause the protagonist faces his inner war. Everyone has his inner war inside himself, so I find the song as the true climax here... That's why "The Prophecies" and "At The Edge Of Time" are the songs forming my favourite and intense chapter in the album! :)
But I agree with you "Blind Guardian + orchestra = 110% WIN"
As for the sleep condition , you're talking about, I remember that I had the same feeling with Sacred Worlds back in the past and I always played it when I went to bed... It's not about that the song is boring(it's one of the best things in the music history ever), but about all those harmonies between the orchestra and Hansi's vocals... It was such a bless for the ears to me, that I just wanted to go to bed and imagine new worlds..

JazzJackrabbit

#18 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 29 Apr 2016 16:27

I would compare ATEOT to a Christopher Nolan movie: The pacing is weird, it's kind of clunky in some areas, but somehow it all comes together very well. :P