None of my friends like Blind Guardian

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Warmoth

None of my friends like Blind Guardian

#1 Post by Warmoth » 28 May 2015 06:23

Just something I was thinking about today. Do any of you guys have this experience?

I wish my friends could appreciate them, I really do. But all I get from them is "Their songs all sound the same", "Boring", "They sound just like Dragonforce", "Bard's Song is OK I guess", "I can't stand his voice"

I honestly am baffled. I mean, it doesn't effect me, so who cares. But I don't understand it, my friends are metalheads.
Are my friends all morons, or is this a normal response? Do only certain types of people enjoy BG?

Ryu

Re: None of my friends like Blind Guardian

#2 Post by Ryu » 28 May 2015 06:28

Everyone I know personally who's played d&d (nice qualifier, eh? around 15+ people) has anywhere from liked to adored BG. I have a friend who detests them because he says Hansi sounds like an "angry middle-aged woman", but otherwise enjoys the instrumentation.. Outside of the d&d people I really can't comment. I haven't really been terribly close friends with anyone who would actually dislike BG, as it happens.

Of course the lower end of the spectrum are people who only actively listen to Mirror, Mirror and The Bard's Song. I have a friend who's relatively disinterested in BG besides Curse My Name, too. So it's an eclectic mix. Another friend claims the only album they like from start to finish is BTRM. Another friend was only really in to the darker, more depressing songs with haunting qualities (Blood Tears, Thorn, Noldor, Road of No Release). There's a BG niche for most open-minded people I would think.

Are these friends fans of fantasy to any extent, or metal that goes beyond mere "heavy" metal?

Anyway, you'd do well to inform them Dragonforce sound like BG, not the other way around. And I can sort of get why the "uninitiated" listener might think their songs blend together. They're all usually choir-heavy, dramatic (melodramatic to new fans/non power metal fans, probably) and thematically linked, in a way.
Defiant of destiny

priderock

#3 Post by priderock » 28 May 2015 07:31

Very interesting! As for their dark and haunting songs(like Blood Tears, Noldor, Thorn, Road Of No Release and so on) I can say that those songs are also my absolutely favourite thing
i their career - of course right after operas like WOF, TNW, ATEOT, Grand Parade, SW, ATTWS and The Throne for example... So if you're asking me, If there were not the songs I just wrote, then - for sure - I also was not going to be the "fan" I'm right now! For sure the bards were going to be my favourite band again(cause there's just no other band I like all their songs), but probably not as big as life favourite, as it is right now... Now for the topic - it's really interesting what you're saying - I've never heard someone saying something bad about their music! First of all - I really don't care, cause almost no one of my friends is listening a complex music and I prefer always listening music with myself.., so I don't struggle from that and I'll never will. Anyway, this doesn't mean that I didn't tried a few times to give them just a few listens, because I'm just curious about their reactions. For example, I was using songs like Curse My Name(the middle part), Wheel Of Time(orch. version - middle part + the the climax), War Of The Thorns(also the climax of the acoustic version) for some videos that I made a few months ago and I have to tell you that the people were blown away - they really liked it, especially the music... Before that, some of my friends told me that "these guys are making so good music, it's just said that we're not right now into this kind of complexity". I also introduced a few times the beginning of The Ninth Wave and the people wanted it again and again(of course there was a girl who wanted to stop it.., but that's normal...) Once I played ATTWS(2012 version)and Road Of No Release to one of my friends and his words were "WOW, this is really good, I feel Like I'm in a kingdom.." The last time I did something like this was before a few days playing the gigantic opera climax in the last 53 seconds of At The Edge Of Time - and my friend was like "WOW, I just can't believe that you're listening to music like this nowadays, that's such a good taste..." My mother also likes BG and my brother is a fan as big as I'm.., so I'm truly happy - that's enough for me... :)

Other thing I have to say is that it's very important what would be the first song you'll play them, what's the culture in the country you're living, the musical tastes and so on. :/ But at the end, I'm really happy that not everyone is liking their music, cause this means only one thing - IT HAS A CHARCTER.., something that even 90% of the metal nowadays don't have it...

JazzJackrabbit

#4 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 28 May 2015 17:49

For me, I would replace the word "like" with "have heard of." :P

Warmoth

#5 Post by Warmoth » 28 May 2015 22:31

Ryu wrote:Are these friends fans of fantasy to any extent, or metal that goes beyond mere "heavy" metal?

Anyway, you'd do well to inform them Dragonforce sound like BG, not the other way around. And I can sort of get why the "uninitiated" listener might think their songs blend together. They're all usually choir-heavy, dramatic (melodramatic to new fans/non power metal fans, probably) and thematically linked, in a way.
My close friends include about 5 people, 4 of which played World of Warcraft in it's prime. But yes, these are all people who allegedly enjoy Lord of the rings (films), fantasy video games, the occult and mythical more geeky type of things. A couple of them are into Extreme metals (black/death/grind)

I can only conclude that they're all full of shit and/or enjoy these things for different reasons than I.
And, I definitely correct people who say BG sound like Dragonforce. lol.

I've had one friend say they think I like it because I'm a musician and I can better appreciate it than them. I think that's bogus. Are you all musicians as well?

priderock

#6 Post by priderock » 28 May 2015 22:41

I'm not a musician, but I have to say that I really started loving BG after two 2 years of listening some random songs of them... It's a really complex stuff, that's the main problem if you're asking me, but if you have some developed visions about the music, you can easly found that there's something to go back to it..that's what happened to me, but I really needed some time...

Gandalf de Grijze

#7 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 28 May 2015 23:49

A couple of my closest friends I actually met through this forum, so not much of a problem for me, as for those I haven't met through the forum: only few don't like BG, mostly due to either not liking metal at all or liking more extreme forms of metal.

I must admit I've never had the "complexity problem" myself. I've always enjoyed new BG albums straight from the beginning, every song lodging itself into my mind right away! But it seems that that is just how my mind works ;)
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

thesuicider

#8 Post by thesuicider » 29 May 2015 10:23

I guess its a matter of taste. One of my best friends who does listen to a lot of metal across genres could never get into BG.For eg he preferred the new Nightwish album to BTRM. A lot of the guys for some reason find it difficult to get into BG saying they are too complex and not straight up metal. Anyway different strokes. For me BG sets the bar for quality.

Max

#9 Post by Max » 29 May 2015 10:39

This topic is quite interesting...

Actually I have only a little amount of "friends" (I would say something between acuaintances and friendship).
My only real friend is my wife ;-)
She is listening to mainstream radio station and some "special interest".

The funny thing is, she is much more comfortable with the "hard songs" (as she says) than the ballads...

Background (@ complexity point)
{
Anyway i must admit - My first encounter with BG was around 1999. A girl I met while playing counter strike provided me some music to listen at. There was slipknot, korn, BG, In extremo, Eisregen and some more (much too heavy for me around that time). But indeed as a big Tolkien fan I loved the lord of the rings Version from FT.
After some time i bought ATITM-Album (which the girl didn't like because she found it too "popish"(you can consider from the bands she offered to me, that she rather like the hard stuff)).
I was taken by that album right away ...
Some more time went by and now I have almost all albums. I really need time to get into every Album to understand the magic (complexity and brilliance) of it.
}

Most of my so called friends listen music to break the silence... I am listening music to enjoy it. Enjoying the lyrics and the epicness of the instrumental combination.
Lucky I have to "travel" around 1 hour to work - enough time to listen to one album or some random tracks.
I sometimes listen to BG at work (when my roomate is on holiday). A workmate came to me and ask me about the music (because he is hearing it when passing by my office). I provided hime some songs - now he is getting into it more and more. He also has a problem with the complexity - but I think he will soon get into it.

Aside the main topic (referring to the comment on Dragonforce)
I cannot understand how people can say it sounds like XY. I tried to find any other band that serves my longings. Some said listen to Gamma Ray, Deamons and Wizards or Helloween - I'm sorry thats not like BG or even the same!? There is only one other Album that fascinates me "like" BG (Pyramaze - Melancholy Beast (for those who would ask)).

About your friends comments:
- alle same (probably overstrained, they have not listened correctly)
- boring (ignorant and uninterested)
- bards song is ok i guess (that is so funny - as Hansi said (free translation): "a casual song of a casual band")
- I can't stand his voice (that is a comment I can understand. I have listened to many other bands and mostly the singer's voice is good or the band or the lyrics but not the combination (of course all of this is personal taste))

Concerning your final question:
I don't think there are specific "types of people" who would enjoy BG. I've been to the concert in Berlin on Wednesday (most people looked like the typical rocker/metaller). I do not know anything about their character, but by there appearance I can tell they are different types of people. To underline this statement - if you meet me on the street you would not guess by any means that I listen to metal or rock at all (sidenotes to my "type": Tolkien fan, love to cook, love to play fantasy/horror role play games (LOTRO, Witcher, DS1+2, Bloodborne), IPhone, Casual fashion style, Network Admin, love my dog, affinty to new technical devices).
(funny note on that: I was at MediaMarkt to buy new headphones - the sales(wo)man asked me after I have tried some headphones and noticed that all of them are useless, what kind of music I listen to? I said Metal - she was absolutely surprised, but she recommended the ones i've bought to me).

As you all say - It does not affect me if they do not like BG (though most of them do not take time to really listen to it). At a show (or here in this forum) I can meet the people who share my passion for BG !

(Maybe here is another side topic, which headphones do you use and which songs you use to test them?)

EDIT:
It just came to my mind after submitting my post:
Maybe my "type" can be summarized by "complex" - Is that the type where we can match?
Follow the blind
Your journey, your last hope, it can begin
These passing dreams were real no fantasy
There are more things than we know
Come take my hand

Midnight

#10 Post by Midnight » 29 May 2015 15:37

On an unrelated point. I guess you work as a programmer, am I right? :)

Max

#11 Post by Max » 29 May 2015 15:55

Nice try,
actually I am administrating a campus ip network and management software.
Programmer would match the stereotype though ;-)
Follow the blind
Your journey, your last hope, it can begin
These passing dreams were real no fantasy
There are more things than we know
Come take my hand

Warmoth

#12 Post by Warmoth » 29 May 2015 17:10

Max wrote: I cannot understand how people can say it sounds like XY. I tried to find any other band that serves my longings. Some said listen to Gamma Ray, Deamons and Wizards or Helloween - I'm sorry thats not like BG or even the same!? There is only one other Album that fascinates me "like" BG (Pyramaze - Melancholy Beast (for those who would ask)).
I agree so much here. Though, I do enjoy Demons and Wizards a lot. I wouldn't put them on the same level/category as BG or Iced Earth(older stuff).
Max wrote: It just came to my mind after submitting my post:
Maybe my "type" can be summarized by "complex" - Is that the type where we can match?
I was hesitant to suggest that maybe it takes a "cerebral" or "intellectual" person, because that sounds so arrogant. But "Complex" sounds much less condescending.

I also agree with you, I think most people merely hear music, rather than listen to it. Maybe that's the issue.

Traveller in Time

#13 Post by Traveller in Time » 01 Jun 2015 23:47

In the sense of Fat Ed:

Not everyone likes Blind Guardian.... - Fuck them! :mrgreen:

Seriously i think some people don't take their time to listen to it seriously and carefully.
But well if they already start with some negative thoughts about BG you can't persuade them (and there is no sense at all).
Most of my friends don't like Power Metal and often call it pussy or gay metal, of course it's already a joking game to say so.
And sometimes it takes its time. A friend of mine was listening for many years to pop like Queen and Robbie Williams (at least handmade music) and i often
played some songs of Bg and said him that Queen was their inspiration and he started to like some songs. And one day he came and said: "Finally i know what's awesome about metal" and now he is even a bigger metalhead than i am :)

About the rest: Max did really give an excellent answer! Saying Dragonforce sounds like BG just shows the lack of
a) interest in listening to whole songs and not single notes or samples
b)knowledge in (metal) music
c)sense of hearing

i can understand if somebody doesn't like Hansi's voice, but you can't say that someone is sounding similiar to Hansi (except in parts Jens Carlsson)
Hansi has for me the most unique voice ever. It's impossible to copy it. It can vary between roughness and softness within a single breath.
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

the last candle

#14 Post by the last candle » 03 Jun 2015 21:53

I have only a few friends who listen to metal in general and out of those I know no-one who does not like Blind Guardian. There are a few who think it´s okay and nice and even some, who like them (nearly) as much as I do!
Even my Dad likes them, although he is normally used to german hardcore punk..
Most of my other friends know only a few songs from Blind Guardian, mostly Ballads. A friend of mine, who really likes "Game ot Thrones" even put "War of the Thrones" into her Playlist. She also tried "Voce in the dark" but told me afterwards that it´s "to heavy" for her. Apart from that, they all know (and like) the Bards Song (in the forrest) and thigs like "Harvest of sorrow". There is one of them who likes "Sacred worlds" very much because she played Sacred2 and did the quest wit Blind Guardian.
Apart from that they only get to hear BG from time to time and they always tell me that the softer stuff is okay and quite likable...
I can live with that (and apparently they too)...
But I have one friend, who dislikes BG very much, saying they are not "Metal" instead listening to stuff like Black veil brides... I really can´t understand him and we had many discussions (Which mostly ended with the two of us shouting and screaming at each other) about music, before we decided not to talk about such topics anymore...
So I think these are quite mixed feelings. As I said it´s absolotely okay for me and I don´t have issues with someone, saying he/she dosen´t like them but insulting BG saying they are "not metal" isn´t okay for me... I really can´t understand that.
Will my weary soul find release for a while
At the moment of death I will smile.

Zhuge Liang

#15 Post by Zhuge Liang » 06 Jun 2015 23:10

Get new friends
"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." -Zhuge Liang

N0ld0r

#16 Post by N0ld0r » 13 Jul 2015 08:02

I have a friend who, until this year, only listened to mainstream country and pop/rock. Then one day I was picking him up and had Imaginations From The Other Side CD playing in my car. He was instantly blown away and insisted on cranking the volume waaay up. When we got back to his house later, he insisted on letting him load the CD to his computer.

One year later, and he is completely obsessed. Like more than I am. They are the only band he listens to. He has every album on CD and has many many BG songs with over 130 plays on his iTunes already. I'm not friends with any metalheads in real life, so I was so happy that I was able to get him into my favorite band so I can share my love of them with someone :)

Yesterday I tried introducing him to some other power metal...Iced Earth and Gamma Ray. He disliked Iced Earth but seemed to really be digging "Rebellion in Dreamland".
My Last.fm
My RateYourMusic

Still the wind blows, calm and silent, carries news to a distant shore...

Dentarthurdent

#17 Post by Dentarthurdent » 13 Jul 2015 20:02

Sure he did. Not digging Rebellion in Dreamland would be a hard thing to do.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect