Thoughts about Mirror Mirror - input for podcast

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Stian

Thoughts about Mirror Mirror - input for podcast

#1 Post by Stian » 26 May 2015 22:11

Hi everyone!

I'm doing a podcast called Metal Tunes, where each week we choose a metal song to talk about. We're still recording episodes for our launch, and one of our first episodes will be on what I consider to be one of Blind Guardian's greatest song, Mirror Mirror.

I would be very interested to hear people's opinions and thoughts on this song, since you guys on this board are all die hard BG fans. When did you first hear the song, do you think it's overrated, what's the best live recording (bootleg or otherwise), the best cover and any other thoughts you might have regarding this song.

I hope to hear back from you guys, your input will be much appreciated for the recording of our podcast!

Led Guardian

Re: Thoughts about Mirror Mirror - input for podcast

#2 Post by Led Guardian » 27 May 2015 02:37

Hmm. I first heard it almost 6 years ago. I think it is a fantastic song, but also overrated. This may be an uncommon opinion, but I actually think Noldor (Dead Winter Reigns) is the best song off of NiME. The harmonies in that song are beastly, like the contrast between the mid-range, harsh almost screams, and the low vocal line running underneath it in the "Can't escape.." section. And that climactic build. :shock:

But Mirror Mirror is still fantastic. The upbeat guitar melodies are incredibly catchy, and really great to sing along to live. As a live song, I love that the audience sings some of the guitar parts. Personally, I can sing the whole thing beginning to end, including the entire solo. The song is just that catchy and memorable. While I would also like for other songs from that album (or newer) to get more play, I still enjoy it as a frequent concert closer. The upbeat nature of the song makes sure you end a show feeling happy and hyped.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

priderock

#3 Post by priderock » 27 May 2015 06:01

First of all - yeah, it's a great song!!! This was the second BG song that I liked in the beginning(after Bard's Song). To me it's also a little overrated, cause my favourite in that album are Noldor, Blood Tears and Thorn, but if you want to introduce the group to some new fan - than no doubt to me - this is waaaayyy better choice, cause you can get into it easier! Anyway, I love that song, I love it's upbeat construction, I love the positiveness in it, it's live performances and at the end, all I can say is that you can never skip something that bears so much hope - lyrically and musically !!! :)

JazzJackrabbit

#4 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 27 May 2015 15:32

I guess I'll give the clichéd answer and say it's probably my favourite BG song. When I put my iPod on shuffle and Mirror Mirror comes up, I have to listen to it every single time.

Warmoth

#5 Post by Warmoth » 27 May 2015 17:46

This song is amazing, of course. With so many amazing Blind Guardian songs, it's difficult to choose a best. But it's up there for sure. I'll give you some fanboism to work with.

It's got it all; Speed riffs, Beautiful melodies, up-tempo ass kicking drums, SUCH a catchy chorus, Hansi in all his glory, and one of my favorite solos of all time.

The guitar melodies, in my eyes, fit perfectly with the Tolkien lyrical theme. The subtle keyboards also help to fully flesh out the frolicky-graceful sound that perfectly represents the Elves.
All of the guitar parts are top-notch, but I especially love the the end of the solo: Da-da-doo-dee-da, -da-da-doo-dee-do! It's like a glimpse of hope in a dark world. You know the part I'm speaking of? I think everyone does. It's so uplifting.

Hansi is the perfect voice of the Noldor. They aren't just a graceful happy-go-lucky race. They're are a tortured people and are struggling against an unprecedented evil. Longing for the old days "of bliss and cheerful laughter" (love this line) Hansi's vocal delivery is so fitting and believable. To me, in this song he really becomes an Elf. (Really though, on the whole album).

I seem to be pointing out the strong ties to Tolkien and how true it is to the source, but that's not what makes this song great. It's a definite plus. But if you knew nothing about Tolkien, or even spoke English, I think you could still recognize the beauty in this song (as long as you're open minded to more complex music and Distorted guitars in general). It has such a dynamic composition and magical feeling about it. It sounds like nothing else, that's for sure. I have yet to find any other band that captures this otherworld feeling in such a transparent and organic way.

Overall I think it's a great representation of Blind Guardian. It has everything I love about them and It's so fantastical. This was one of the first songs I heard by them. I was floored then, and I still am. I can't get sick of this song.

Stian

#6 Post by Stian » 30 May 2015 08:50

Thanks for your input guys, it's very useful for preparing to record the podcast. If anyone else has any thoughts on this song, good or bad, feel free to let me know :)

Ryu

#7 Post by Ryu » 01 Jun 2015 01:41

I echo most of these sentiments, but one thing that's often irked me about Mirror Mirror (and it's really no fault of the song's) is that during live performances of the song, the layered guitars featured in the chorus are totally absent.

A number of their songs suffer, or are at least slightly hindered by this transition from studio to live. I adore the almost "synthy" feel to Andre's guitar playing in the studio. It would be impossible to replicate this sound without three or four (or more?) guitars dedicated to this end, I am aware, but a lot of what initially made me so addicted to their compositions were those extremely Brian May-esque layerings.

To be fair on select occasions Marcus will accompany Andre on certain parts to emulate the studio feel (the end of the Tanelorn (Into the Void) solo, the end of the Prophecies solo) but then you're losing the "fullness" of the rhythm guitar and yeah..

I'm not saying I'd want a total replication of how bombastic the layerings of ANATO were in a live setting, nor am I discounting how amazing they sound live/their creativity. Just some of the magic seems absent at times.

All that said Mirror Mirror is driven over the top and is their magnum opus live, and that accreditation falls to the fans in a huge way.
Last edited by Ryu on 01 Jun 2015 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
Defiant of destiny

the last candle

#8 Post by the last candle » 01 Jun 2015 16:27

Hey, I think that this is a very nice idea!
So I´m going to share my opinion about Mirror, mirror with you:
for me the live recording from "Wacken 2011" of "Morror, Mirror" was the first BG song I´ve ever heard (as far as I can remember). The next day I bought the album (Nightfall in middle-earth) so it was quite convincing :wink:
I already liked the beginning (I´m easily bored by intos and so on if i don´t know the song yet) and when Hansi started singing, I was blown away by his (amazing) voice but the chorus really got me in the end. It was stuck in my head for ages and it was so epic that I could not stop listening to it. Since then I got to know many other BG songs and there are definitely some that are more epic than mirror, mirror but it´s still a great plesure to listen to it.
The only sad thing about this songs is when it´s played live you can be at least 99% sure that this is te last song...
Will my weary soul find release for a while
At the moment of death I will smile.

Max

#9 Post by Max » 02 Jun 2015 09:34

Very well,

When did you first hear the song?
After buying the the NiME Album (2 years ago).

Do you think it's overrated?
No. Maybe they play it a little too often live. Though I think the studio version is the best. The overwhelming fitting of Hansi's voice to the feeling generated by Tolkien about the Elves fighting for themselves makes me shiver during listening the whole NiME Album. So much drama, pride, will power, longing and passion can be found in Mirror Mirror - it is a masterpiece. Live the song lacks a little the epicness (imho).

What's the best live recording (bootleg or otherwise)?
Since there are only a few official live recordings (2003, Wacken, ITLG) and bootlegs are very poor quality - there is none for me. Though, hearing and singing the song on a show is absolutely amazing and revives the feelings from the Silmarillion.

The best cover ...
I haven't listen to any cover yet - so I don't know.

... and any other thoughts you might have regarding this song.
If you experience this song on a show - you know why the people love it. If you listen closely to the album version (and have read the Silmarillion / Unfinished Tales) you will be carried away into the world of Tolkien. Sometimes I am so much taken away that I miss my station on the train ;-)

@the last candle
Sadly Mirror Mirror is often the end of the show - but it awakens the longing for the next show even more!
Follow the blind
Your journey, your last hope, it can begin
These passing dreams were real no fantasy
There are more things than we know
Come take my hand

the last candle

#10 Post by the last candle » 03 Jun 2015 16:03

@max: I absolotely agree with you and I´m already waiting for the neyt BG show! But waiting for a concert 8 months or so is very hard and then you´ve reached the final day and all your "hopes and dreames" come true and you have a really really amazing time and then "Mirror Mirror" is annouced and you know it will be over soon. So I still think, that it´s a bit sad...
Will my weary soul find release for a while
At the moment of death I will smile.