Setlist discussion for 2015

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Drahcir

Re: Setlist discussion for 2015

#101 Post by Drahcir » 11 Oct 2015 07:15

Jon The Wise wrote:So last night they got my dream set for this tour! A Past And Future Secret and Bright Eyes were done, as were both The Last Candle and Lost In The Twilight Hall and also And The Story Ends. With Banish, so many of my favorite songs I have not seen live were present here. Sacred Worlds was done, and Into The Storm, totally want to see that set at the end of the month, would be able to die happy. 8)
Same here! I hope they play that setlist in Dallas! Either A Past and Future Secret or Lord of the Rings and I will be happy. :D

Jon The Wise

#102 Post by Jon The Wise » 11 Oct 2015 16:47

Last night they spoiled them again. Both Majesty and Guardian Of The Blind! Lord Of The Rings and Bright Eyes were done, and Imaginations in the encore, jealous again! Why the hell can't they just treat everyone to Guardian Of The Blind. They did Sacred Worlds and Last Candle. Another set, I'd kill to see. And Then There Was Silence was done too making this one of the longest 18 song sets on the tour. :evil:

Drahcir

#103 Post by Drahcir » 11 Oct 2015 20:08

Hopefully they keep up these killer setlists for the North American tour. November 24th feels like such a long wait with all of these awesome setlists. :x

Since they played And Then There Was Silence the last time I saw them, I can deal without that song. But please... play Sacred Worlds and Lord of the Rings, that's all I need :lol:

Jon The Wise

#104 Post by Jon The Wise » 11 Oct 2015 22:10

We should implement a "like" button on this forum. Yeah, same here, I have heard And Then There Was Silence live twice so I'm really hoping they just leave it out and keep Bright Eyes and Guardian Of The Blind around. They should keep doing both The Last Candle and Lost In The Twilight Hall, two of the best tracks off that album, neither of which I've managed to see. Seems they got all these AND ATTWS at the last couple shows, they should keep it like that because seeing them once every five years suuuucks. I'm betting I'll end up hearing stuff I've already heard as the special songs when I go. Looking at what they've been playing in Brazil, some sets are average and then the last couple are unbelievable. Like I said I'll probably be hearing ATTWS, the girlfriend will be ecstatic either way, it's her first time seeing them. Would like to see some bucketlists of tunes they do perform live that you fellow Bard's have not seen.

My key choices in order:
Lost In The Twilight Hall
Guardian Of The Blind
Bright Eyes
The Last Candle
Mordred's Song
Journey Through The Dark
A Past And Future Secret
Blood Tears

I'm hoping Banish From Sanctuary will of course be there as I have not seen that yet and the first three off the new album will be great. I would choose Sacred Worlds as far as ATEOT goes. Wheel Of Time is epic as fuck too though. Can't get over the last two sets though...just awesome.

Drahcir

#105 Post by Drahcir » 11 Oct 2015 23:00

Exactly, I am hoping to hear songs that I didn't hear them play last time. I only saw them once on the A Twist in the Myth Tour, so the ATEOT material will be new for me. I really just want to hear Sacred Worlds and Tanelorn from ATEOT. I've seen some setlists from Japan I think in which the "random" songs were the same ones I already saw them play (i.e., Bright Eyes, The Script for My Requiem, etc.), and knowing my luck I'll probably hear these songs all over again. :lol: When I saw them last the setlist was solid, so now I just want something different. But they are always changing up their setlist, so no matter what it will be a surprise.

My bucketlist:
Lord of the Rings
Sacred Worlds
Traveler in Time
A Past and Future Secret
And the Story Ends
Blood Tears
Time What Is Time
Wheel of Time

Ryu

#106 Post by Ryu » 11 Oct 2015 23:04

I want even riskier choices, even if they "flop". The thing is with a lot of the more challenging songs, I believe the fan hype would overwhelmingly compensate for whatever perceived lack of substance Hansi/the others feel there will be.

Take Battlefield for example. It's consistently been one of the top google search results pertaining to the band, in individual song titles at least. This means there's massive casual appeal to the song (for obvious reasons, Robot Unicorn Attack) which means crowd backing could be that much more reliable. The response to Battlefield suddenly coming over the speakers live would be mental, the crowd would likely be louder than the band at times (if you've watched recent videos of the Brazilian tour, this is no uncommon thing ;) ) and I believe there's no reason Hansi can't simply do what he does for Mirror Mirror - immense, passionate, magnum opus as it is, he hardly hits any of the notes in the song anymore. It's a rather dull affair vocally in a live setting. Battlefield could be relegated to such a spot, though I'd probably regret suggesting this years down the line.

Nonetheless, the lack of Battlefield especially comes with weak excuses. I remember their excuse during the 2003 tour pertained to Thomen having an injured hand or something of that nature - OK, check this amateur Youtube drummer out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I74Bua3XGag

Is there any reason to believe Thomen could not pull that off once recovered? I'm no drummer but a kid recorded the song flawlessly in his bedroom one afternoon five years ago. The song isn't impossible. And Then There Was Silence was supposed to be the impossible song, and look how it turned out. Still dull at times live (vocally) but a staple nonetheless and one I will always look forward to hearing and singing along to.

Maybe I've overly critical, but I think their adherence to playing it safe so consistently is misguided. Fans will recognize When Sorrow Sang, Follow the Blind, A Dark Passage, The Holy Grail, etc.

When Sorrow Sang, there's actually a recording of it on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL0sBe_OIVg there are few known recordings of it live - and while it isn't phenomenal, it was also recorded during a time where they hadn't quite musically come in to their own shoes. They hadn't really had time to muster a true sense of confidence over the more demanding and complex songs, and crowd participation was at a minimum due to the (relative) newness of the song. (You could also blame the recording quality.) Hansi also makes quite a few mistakes with timing, there are seemingly tons of leads missing at various points. They still pulled it off, and it isn't half-bad even with shit recording quality. If they went back to it today I believe it could be on par with Time Stands Still, easily.

And what of Noldor, Road of No Release, The Throne? All songs Hansi has repeatedly expressed in interviews he has an interest in re-capturing live. He even went as far as to say listening to Noldor for the first time in years was impressive to him. It's as if their ambition is limited to the studio kitchen sometimes..

But, they play more than half of their discography live, right? And the setlist changes every night? Still more than I can say for a lot of bands, but they're also my favorite band, and I want to hold them to the highest standard in every regard. Dream Theater used to utilize the kind of setlist variety I enjoy, dunno if they still do, but that's what I'm looking for. It's professionalism, versatility, and respect for a dedicated fanbase. Not pretending bits of your band's history don't exist.
Defiant of destiny

Dragonfly

#107 Post by Dragonfly » 11 Oct 2015 23:07

Jon The Wise wrote:I think if they did anything else from Battalions then people would not insist on them playing Majesty, the shows that got both were so lucky. Almost spoiled :lol:
Run For The Night! I want that song.
It appears that this song hasn't been played often recently, maybe Hansi's kinda shy of his mistakes as a lyricist. I would love to hear it one day though.
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

priderock

#108 Post by priderock » 11 Oct 2015 23:46

What mistakes, Dragonfly? :/

As for the topic, I would like to hear live:

Battlefield
Noldor
At The Edgd Of Time(it might be really hard here)
Under the Ice
Road Of No Release
Thorn
Blood Tears
The Holy Grail

Hedge Wizard

#109 Post by Hedge Wizard » 12 Oct 2015 08:27

Bucket setlist? Oh jeez, here we go:

Banish from Sanctuary
Follow the Blind (as if it will ever happen)
Traveler in Time
Time What Is Time
Journey Through the Dark
Ashes to Ashes
Somewhere Far Beyond
Another Holy War
Into the Storm + pretty much everything else from NIME

Hopefully I can knock some of those off after this upcoming tour.

Dragonfly

#110 Post by Dragonfly » 12 Oct 2015 22:03

priderock wrote:What mistakes, Dragonfly? :/
As far as I know (and I'm not a native speaker myself so someone may correct me) there's no such word as "meanless", it should be "meaningless". And the second one - which I just found - "They've been scared and they've been anxiously tonight" where there should be anxious instead of anxiously. That's understandable though - there's no discrimination between adjectives and adverbs in German, and Hansi had just started his career as lyricist... and look what lyrics he does now! 8)
Same goes for "Majesty" with "For so many blood we've lost" when it clearly should be "much blood".
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

Jon The Wise

#111 Post by Jon The Wise » 13 Oct 2015 00:27

:P hah, I was saying that the other day. Everything is so meanless, yeah it isn't a word but it sounds great for the song. I also thought maybe he was saying meaningless very fast or in a different way.

Jon The Wise

#112 Post by Jon The Wise » 13 Oct 2015 05:33

Miracle Machine returned tonight, as did I'm Alive again. Time Stands Still, Wheel Of Time, Imaginations were all done. They got Barbara Ann last, who wouldn't mind seeing that.

priderock

#113 Post by priderock » 13 Oct 2015 06:14

Dragonfly wrote:
priderock wrote:What mistakes, Dragonfly? :/
As far as I know (and I'm not a native speaker myself so someone may correct me) there's no such word as "meanless", it should be "meaningless". And the second one - which I just found - "They've been scared and they've been anxiously tonight" where there should be anxious instead of anxiously. That's understandable though - there's no discrimination between adjectives and adverbs in German, and Hansi had just started his career as lyricist... and look what lyrics he does now! 8)
Same goes for "Majesty" with "For so many blood we've lost" when it clearly should be "much blood".
Ok, thanks :) The more you know... :x

Drahcir

#114 Post by Drahcir » 13 Oct 2015 15:38

Jon The Wise wrote:Miracle Machine returned tonight, as did I'm Alive again. Time Stands Still, Wheel Of Time, Imaginations were all done. They got Barbara Ann last, who wouldn't mind seeing that.
Miracle Machine + Lord of the Rings. I'll take it! ;)

Lord of the Rings along with Traveler in Time were the songs that turned me into a Blind Guardian fan (Tales from the Twilight World was my first or second album by them), so I am hoping to hear at least one of those live since they didn't play either the last time I saw them (we got Skalds and Shadows as the ballad).

Jon The Wise

#115 Post by Jon The Wise » 13 Oct 2015 16:12

Interesting they stuck Script in near the end last night too. Odd place for it but again I wouldn't complain, even though I've seen it before. One of those sing along classics.

Tablinan

#116 Post by Tablinan » 13 Oct 2015 17:54

São Paulo

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/blind-gua ... 46a9b.html

The Ninth Wave
Banish from Sanctuary
Nightfall
Fly
Tanelorn (Into the Void)
Prophecies
The Last Candle
Miracle Machine
Lord of the Rings
Time Stands Still (at the Iron Hill)
I'm Alive
Imaginations from the Other Side

Encore:
Wheel of Time
Twilight of the Gods
Valhalla

Encore 2:
Majesty
The Script for My Requiem
The Bard's Song - In the Forest
Mirror Mirror
Barbara Ann

Strong and long - 20 songs! - setlist! Enjoyed it a lot! Script on the end was unexpected and absolutely harsh.

I'd love to hear Silence for the first time though or Sacred for the 2nd. Missed those two, and would die for Blood Tears. Dreaming one day of The Eldar and Noldor. Hail!
Blind my eyes and I still can see through the mist

Drahcir

#117 Post by Drahcir » 13 Oct 2015 17:58

Jeesh 20 songs :shock:

brazilian_bard

#118 Post by brazilian_bard » 13 Oct 2015 18:27

The setlist here in Rio was awesome, unexpected, but still amazing 8) :o

9/10/15 - Vivo Rio - RJ - BR

1. The Ninth Wave
2. Banish from Sanctuary
3. Nightfall
4. Fly
5. Tanelorn (Into the Void)
6. Prophecies
7. The Last Candle
8. A Past and Future Secret
9. Bright Eyes
10. Lost in the Twilight Hall
11. And the Story Ends
Encore:
12. Sacred Worlds
13. Twilight of the Gods
14. Valhalla
Encore 2:
War of Wrath
15. Into the Storm
16. The Bard's Song - In the Forest
17. Majesty (Audience request)
18. Mirror Mirror
Outro

Some songs I couldn't belive they were playing there, because nobody wouldn't expect these songs to be on the setlist: The Last Candle, A Past and Future Secret and Bight Eyes... it was beautiful!!! The Ninth Wave intro and the whole song was absolutely beautiful and amazing.

My wishes were attended, and they've played Into the Storm, Sacred, Into the Void and Twilight of the Gods.

All the setlist was awesome, and although it lasted 2 amazing hours and 10 blessed minutes, I've missed songs like I'm Alive, Script, LotR, Road and ATTWS 8)

Well, altought I hadn't the time to stalk the guys and everything, I feel lighter now. Like a dream realized. I can now get back to my little life. Planning to take vacations on their next tour.

Bards, thank you very much. You guys are absolutely amazing. Brasil loves you so much, deep inside our hearts.
Last edited by brazilian_bard on 13 Oct 2015 21:42, edited 2 times in total.

Drahcir

#119 Post by Drahcir » 13 Oct 2015 18:40

^ I hope they play that in Dallas!!!! :o

brazilian_bard

#120 Post by brazilian_bard » 13 Oct 2015 21:54

Drahcir wrote:^ I hope they play that in Dallas!!!! :o
They've answered some requests made by the crowd... you guys have to make it.
Write it down on papers, and scream for it! 8)

Jon The Wise

#121 Post by Jon The Wise » 14 Oct 2015 04:18

Hmmm, I should probably make a sign that says Bright Eyes then! 8)

Drahcir

#122 Post by Drahcir » 14 Oct 2015 16:32

Is Majesty the only song they do by request?

brazilian_bard

#123 Post by brazilian_bard » 14 Oct 2015 18:24

Jon The Wise wrote:Hmmm, I should probably make a sign that says Bright Eyes then! 8)
Who knows? It may work!
Drahcir wrote:Is Majesty the only song they do by request?
There is this girl here on BGBrasil group, she's excited about the fact she had a sign askin for LotR song, and Hansi not only answered her request, but made fun with the situation, saying that he think everybody there would agree that it was a good song to go. And it was just like that. They've played the song. It was in Sao Paulo if I'm not wrong, here in Rio unfortunately this song was not played.

When I went to the house, I was sure I would be there asking songs and more songs, but it wasn't like that. In first place I was very tired, it was a friday night. I stayed in the VIP area, closer to the bards, but when the show started I became so excited, that I forgot about asking songs, had a cold beer, and spent all(the rest) of my energy jumping, singing and screaming :mrgreen:

Jon The Wise

#124 Post by Jon The Wise » 14 Oct 2015 21:38

I'm thinking a sign is the best way, but they have been doing Lord Of The Rings a lot on this tour and on the last tour, they could've already had it on the set, but if you put something like Martyr or something they have not done live since the 90's, it is highly unlikely he'll answer the request. If the sign says something they've been doing like Bright Eyes or Mordred's Song and he notices, he'd just feel like a dick for not saying alright. :lol:

Jon The Wise

#125 Post by Jon The Wise » 14 Oct 2015 21:41

Sorry, double posting, but they should ask for a request AFTER and only AFTER Majesty has been done. Most people will shout that and then the few people yelling other things rarely get heard through all the Majesty chants. :P

Gandalf de Grijze

#126 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 15 Oct 2015 09:51

I actually find Majesty quite overrated... I could do easily without hearing it during my next 4-5 gigs...
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

JazzJackrabbit

#127 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 15 Oct 2015 15:52

I honestly don't care what they play when I see them live for the first time in two weeks. I know it'll be an amazing night.

Jon The Wise

#128 Post by Jon The Wise » 15 Oct 2015 16:16

That's how I felt the first time I saw them, you don't have expectations your first time. If they do the set they did last night it would be the same songs I saw before, Time Stands Still, LOTR, And The Story Ends, Imaginations, no Miracle Machine again. Only old tunes I'd be cashing in on would be Banish and Last Candle, hope to hell I get to hear more than that. JazzJackrabbit, we will be at the same show :wink: , 2 weeks to the day! So last night they DID do another request after Majesty was obviously requested and it was Story, amazing tune, I would have wanted another though since I've caught that one twice. They did 18 last night, sucks that some shows hit 20 songs and some get docked 2 tracks. :x

Drahcir

#129 Post by Drahcir » 15 Oct 2015 20:32

Jon The Wise wrote:That's how I felt the first time I saw them, you don't have expectations your first time.
Same here. I had zero expectations the first time and they played And Then There Was Silence. Now I have too much expectations. :lol:

They played another killer setlist in Buenos Aires. I hope we get that!

Jon The Wise

#130 Post by Jon The Wise » 15 Oct 2015 22:04

Will be kind of ticked off to not get Miracle Machine too :o I feel they will definitely be doing it in North America though.

brazilian_bard

#131 Post by brazilian_bard » 16 Oct 2015 20:39

Jon The Wise wrote:I'm thinking a sign is the best way, but they have been doing Lord Of The Rings a lot on this tour and on the last tour, they could've already had it on the set, but if you put something like Martyr or something they have not done live since the 90's, it is highly unlikely he'll answer the request. If the sign says something they've been doing like Bright Eyes or Mordred's Song and he notices, he'd just feel like a dick for not saying alright. :lol:
For sure, you're right. This song was already on the set, but not in all shows of the tour... and I'm sure too, that even if I've made a huge sign asking for Fast to Madness song, for example, it wouldn't be attended. People must have a good sense. But maybe if I've had made this same huge sign, but instead asking for LotR song, chances were the song would be played. Should it? Maybe... the setlists are very disclosed after the shows, and it have a little variation from house to house, so you should be asking songs that are already ready to go! You're absolutely right. What I'm trying to say here is that, maybe this song wasn't on the set for THAT night... here in Rio this song was not played... anyway, the show was amazing and they've burnt down the house.

brazilian_bard

#132 Post by brazilian_bard » 16 Oct 2015 20:40

JazzJackrabbit wrote:I honestly don't care what they play when I see them live for the first time in two weeks. I know it'll be an amazing night.
It's the best approach. It WILL be fucking awesome anyway. 8)

Jon The Wise

#133 Post by Jon The Wise » 17 Oct 2015 06:05

Mordred's Song, Time Stands Still, Imaginations and Script were done tonight. No Into The Storm which is lame, and no Miracle Machine. Sacred Worlds :wink:

Jon The Wise

#134 Post by Jon The Wise » 20 Oct 2015 04:36

Short set last night, only 17 songs. Hope they aren't slowly shrinking it down. They did Imaginations and Script. Wheel Of Time. :| I feel 18 songs should be minimum on this tour since some shows have gotten 20 song sets. :shock:

Drahcir

#135 Post by Drahcir » 20 Oct 2015 05:09

Well I think on the past 2 North American tours they usually played 15 songs. So we might be lucky to even get 17. Last night didn't have the most exciting setlist compared to the previous ones. :|

Jon The Wise

#136 Post by Jon The Wise » 20 Oct 2015 16:09

They did 16 last 2 times I saw them. On the last two tours. Was hoping this would be a nice extended set for the entire tour since it is a shorter tour then they generally do and it is a celebration of the whole history. :)

Drahcir

#137 Post by Drahcir » 21 Oct 2015 16:06

Setlist from Mexico City last night.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/blind-gua ... 5a087.html

Jon The Wise

#138 Post by Jon The Wise » 21 Oct 2015 16:54

That one is ideal, I like that one. I would love to hear Journey Through The Dark. Miracle Machine and Imaginations would be killer. Cant complain there. :)

Hedge Wizard

#139 Post by Hedge Wizard » 22 Oct 2015 05:01

Journey Through the Dark made it onto the setlist, and that's all I need to know. Fingers crossed they play it when I see them!

Jon The Wise

#140 Post by Jon The Wise » 22 Oct 2015 16:56

I think it should always be done or alternated at least with either Time What Is Time or Somewhere Far Beyond. SFB is generally not represented enough with just The Bard's Song. I figured you'd be quite happy to hear that Hedge Wizard, let's hope for the best next week! Will be here before we know it...time what is time. :wink:

brazilian_bard

#141 Post by brazilian_bard » 23 Oct 2015 18:20

The Somewhere far Beyond song itself was already played live lots of times... bit it seems it was a long time ago...

Some people were talking here, about a show called "The Bard's Night', that happened here in Brazil in 2012. Some said songs like 'The Forest', 'The Hobbit', 'Piper's Calling' and 'Somewehre far Beyond' were played that night. Can you imagine this?

I'm wondering where the fuck I was, that not there :(

Jon The Wise

#142 Post by Jon The Wise » 23 Oct 2015 21:49

Yeah, Somewhere Far beyond has been done ALOT just not on this tour. Would be prime to hear The Hobbit live. The Piper's Calling is annoying and pretty much just an intro to SFB, I don't even qualify it as a song, as I've mentioned before I always skip it. :evil:

Ryu

#143 Post by Ryu » 23 Oct 2015 23:25

Curitiba, 2012 :

Sacred Worlds
Born in a Mourning Hall
Turn the Page
A Voice in the Dark
Lost in the Twilight Hall
Valhalla
Ride into Obsession
The Piper's Calling
Somewhere Far Beyond
A Past and Future Secret
Imaginations from the Other Side
Encore
War of Wrath
Into the Storm
Lord of the Rings
And the Story Ends
Wheel of Time
The Bard's Song - In the Forest
The Bard's Song - The Hobbit
Mirror Mirror

... that's a fantastic setlist. The Brazilians received some treats we never see these days, and some on my dream setlist.
Defiant of destiny

Jon The Wise

#144 Post by Jon The Wise » 24 Oct 2015 22:36

That is an exquisite setlist for sure. Any set with Lost In The Twilight Hall is amazing to me, plus The Hobbit, how did that sound live? Been wanting to hear that live forever.

Drahcir

#145 Post by Drahcir » 25 Oct 2015 03:36

Now I just want to hear anything from Imaginations from the Other Side! Even the ones I've already seen them play before, hehe :P

Jon The Wise

#146 Post by Jon The Wise » 25 Oct 2015 16:46

Which ones are they? I've seen them do Imaginations, Script, Born In A Mourning Hall, And The Story Ends but I am still dying to hear Mordred's Song, Bright Eyes, I'm Alive or A Past And Future Secret. Perhaps I'll get lucky this week!

Drahcir

#147 Post by Drahcir » 25 Oct 2015 17:13

Jon The Wise wrote:Which ones are they? I've seen them do Imaginations, Script, Born In A Mourning Hall, And The Story Ends but I am still dying to hear Mordred's Song, Bright Eyes, I'm Alive or A Past And Future Secret. Perhaps I'll get lucky this week!
Imaginations, Script, Born in a Mourning Hall, and Bright Eyes. I'd love to hear And the Story Ends and the rest of the songs you mentioned. :D

Gandalf de Grijze

#148 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 27 Oct 2015 11:24

I'm so sorry guys....

I've seen all songs from IftOS at least 4 or 5 times, with Imaginations itself going as far as 15-16 times at least...
AND I've seen the entire album live within 2 days back at the BGOA. And during the warm-up gig they played the entire album except for APAFS...

So, now bow to my awesomeness :twisted:

Sorry, just had to brag :p
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Drahcir

#149 Post by Drahcir » 27 Oct 2015 14:50

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:I'm so sorry guys....

I've seen all songs from IftOS at least 4 or 5 times, with Imaginations itself going as far as 15-16 times at least...
AND I've seen the entire album live within 2 days back at the BGOA. And during the warm-up gig they played the entire album except for APAFS...

So, now bow to my awesomeness :twisted:

Sorry, just had to brag :p
I love you

Jon The Wise

#150 Post by Jon The Wise » 27 Oct 2015 16:16

Part of the fun in accomplishing these achievements is bragging. :lol: You are a lucky mother! Was watching the live DVD the other night and I watched the Imaginations album in order with the exception of Born In A Mourning Hall which isn't on there, anybody know why the hell that is? Seen it live twice anyway but it seems dumb to have the entire album live minus one track. :roll: