New tour! First show! Any chance of a live setlist update?

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
drummer88

Re: New tour! First show! Any chance of a live setlist updat

#51 Post by drummer88 » 12 Apr 2015 11:12

I'm really eager to see a live video of TOTG. How do the people that already have been to concert feel on the live performance of that song? I'm really suprised that they don't play holy grail instead as it surely is a killer live song and in german metal forums people love that song, even the oldschool fans. On this particular case I was reminded on the last tour, where after some time the band noticed that AVITD isn't a good live song and replaced it by TITV. Maybe it'll be the same again.

Infernal Lord

#52 Post by Infernal Lord » 12 Apr 2015 11:41

sciacallo010 wrote:As I promised here are some photos I took in Krefeld last week http://imgur.com/a/PuEa8
In the end there are also a couple of photos of the hoodie I bought.
Looks like you managed to elbow your way to the front nicely! That's something I'm intending to do tonight...

I love the tour hoodie, too, so thanks for those pics. I think it'd be rude not to buy one of those!

Excited for tonight's London show. 8)
The Nine sing
Once upon a dream ago
We're the ones you've left alone

ent

#53 Post by ent » 12 Apr 2015 12:59

sciacallo010 wrote:As I promised here are some photos I took in Krefeld last week http://imgur.com/a/PuEa8
Tnx for photos.

Hoodie is cool.

I hope that someone will take pictures of the whole merchandise! :)
CROATIAN BARD

Blind Guardian Croatian Bards
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blind-Gua ... 0227785608

Gandalf de Grijze

#54 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 12 Apr 2015 14:40

Unlike AvitD, TotG is great live! Killer live track and an instant classic if you ask me.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

priderock

#55 Post by priderock » 12 Apr 2015 16:17

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:Unlike AvitD, TotG is great live! Killer live track and an instant classic if you ask me.
So, at the end, the bards were right, right?? :)

Gandalf de Grijze

#56 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 12 Apr 2015 21:33

still the worst song on the album though ;)
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands

ErHaO

#57 Post by ErHaO » 12 Apr 2015 22:28

I attented Eindhoven as well, great concert! The band made some mistakes here and there, but the energy and power was great. Atmosphere and crowd too, even though I do not like moshpits. I really, really hope some of the performances make the new live CD :D

As for the new stuff. Twilight of the Gods worked really well live I have to say (alltough the intro sounded a bit off to me?). I heard quite some people around me actually singing along too. Way better than A Voice in the Dark back when ATEOT tour started for reference (I was in Tilburg back then, which was also the first foreign show of the tour). Ninth Wave is a great intro as well. Miracle Machine was good, but I personally like the "lesser polished" acoustic guitar songs better in a live setting (still want them to do Curse My Name acoustic, for example). Prophecies is one of my album favourites and while the performance was great, I liked the other new songs better in a live setting.

Also, I heavily disagree with them needing to scrap songs like Valhalla and Mirror Mirror. They already did not play stuff like LotR, Bright Eyes, Traveller in Time, Welcome to Dying etc. There is more than enough space for new songs, older classics and some lesser known stuff (and I think it is balanced well as of now). Hitsongs as a constant bring the crowd to the same level and set the tone. Especially Mirror Mirror at the end was one of the best things I have ever experienced at any concert. Great energetic performance and the whole venue gave their best. Some traditions are just great, and it has been more than 5 years since I experienced this one.

Live I vastly prefer ATTWS to Sacred Worlds and Wheel of Time, but since they are recording a live cd, I think they made a good choice to bring these back and give us a professional recording of them. I would have liked them to do the same for the faster songs by switching one of them, but they did not unfortunately. Banished, Lost, Journey were all really great to hear, but I really want a live release with Ride, Goodbye, This will, Holy Grail, Voice etc.

sciacallo010

#58 Post by sciacallo010 » 13 Apr 2015 18:53

Yesterday's show in London has been a blast once again!
I'm (very slightly) disappointed that the setlist was quite similar to the Krefeld one, I was hoping for some more differences, but I can't really complain on such a great setlist.
I found Hansi in such a good shape, maybe even better than in Krefeld, he nailed some really hard bits!

I've been pleasantly surprised when Hansi said that all of the gigs in this tour are being record for a new live album!

They have been so kind to come out after the show so I also took some pictures (again, I already took some in Berlin in September :mrgreen: ) and had a nice chat with them; Barend, in particular, has been super nice and stayed outside chatting (and even offered us the Jack Daniels he was drinking :mrgreen: ) for maybe an hour.

An extra note: they told us that next year they'll do all the European festivals and they'll headline Wacken :wink:

Infernal Lord

#59 Post by Infernal Lord » 13 Apr 2015 21:17

ent wrote:
Tnx for photos.

Hoodie is cool.

I hope that someone will take pictures of the whole merchandise! :)
Done. :)

See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44744
The Nine sing
Once upon a dream ago
We're the ones you've left alone

Ryu

#60 Post by Ryu » 14 Apr 2015 07:23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD4-tMtvfcU

There's Miracle Machine in London. This crowd is spectacular. Hansi's also pretty funny here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BXMqR26Olk

Edit: Who wouldn't want to watch that crowd sing The Ninth Wave? I am so shocked and pleased at how responsive this crowd is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfeVl9r_1QI

Edit: Setlist from Paris:

The Ninth Wave
Banish from Sanctuary
Nightfall
Fly
Tanelorn (Into the Void)
Prophecies
The Last Candle
Miracle Machine
(Accoustic)
A Past and Future Secret
(Accoustic)
Bright Eyes
Welcome to Dying
Imaginations from the Other Side
Encore:
War of Wrath
(Intro)
Into the Storm
Twilight of the Gods
Valhalla
Encore 2:
Wheel of Time
The Bard's Song - In the Forest
Mirror Mirror

Not exactly seeing these old gems and surprising songs they've mentioned. All these setlists are pretty similar with three or so songs switching out for the three or so other stock songs. :(
Defiant of destiny

Sarah

#61 Post by Sarah » 15 Apr 2015 10:32

The setlist from Antwerp :

The Ninth Wave
Banish from Sanctuary
Nightfall
Fly
Tanelorn (Into the Void)
Prophecies
The Last Candle
Acoustic set
Miracle Machine
A Past and Future Secret
Lord of the Rings
Majesty
And the Story Ends

Encore:
War of Wrath
Into the Storm
Twilight of the Gods
Valhalla

Encore 2:
Sacred Worlds
The Bard's Song - In the Forest
Mirror Mirror

I was pretty happy with Lord of the Rings & And the Story Ends, wasn't expecting those at all :)
All in all, a good show it was. But so far, out of the 3, Eindhoven is still my favourite. Great company and better sound ! (The sound quality in Paris wasn't good at all)
Dreamland turned to realland and we faced a new frontier
We lost the world
Sometimes we hold it but it's slipping away
When we add reality it doesn't taste like our dream

Edain

#62 Post by Edain » 15 Apr 2015 13:13

Not exactly seeing these old gems and surprising songs they've mentioned. All these setlists are pretty similar with three or so songs switching out for the three or so other stock songs. :(
I thought the same. The Krefeld-gig raised my expectations as the setlist was really "different" from the last two or three tours - but for now it seems they mostly switched newer staple songs for older staple songs. :?

But it's just the start of the tour, let's see what happens in the next couple of weeks. :)
"Edis Rehto Eht Morf Snoitanigami!"

Avelar

#63 Post by Avelar » 15 Apr 2015 14:15

Edain wrote:The Krefeld-gig raised my expectations as the setlist was really "different" from the last two or three tours - but for now it seems they mostly switched newer staple songs for older staple songs. :?

But it's just the start of the tour, let's see what happens in the next couple of weeks. :)
My thoughts exactly. I am disappointed that setlists are so similar to each other.
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.

priderock

#64 Post by priderock » 15 Apr 2015 15:09

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/blind-gua ... 88f18.html

Guys, I just check that - At The Edge Of Time - the outro was used as the end of the concert in Paris !!
WOW..Just came in my pants

Gandalf de Grijze

#65 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 15 Apr 2015 16:32

Avelar wrote:
Edain wrote:The Krefeld-gig raised my expectations as the setlist was really "different" from the last two or three tours - but for now it seems they mostly switched newer staple songs for older staple songs. :?

My thoughts exactly. I am disappointed that setlists are so similar to each other.
Gotta admit that I too had hoped for more changes between setlists...

ErHaO

#66 Post by ErHaO » 15 Apr 2015 17:00

Maybe they first want to nail the current setlist to have several good takes for the live recording and then move on to some other surprises/new songs. That would make sense to me. Not expecting a complete turnaround, but do think we will see some other changes.

Edain

#67 Post by Edain » 16 Apr 2015 19:23

Sounds reasonable to me. Time will tell. :) No surprises on the Strasbourg-setlist except for And then there was Silence. Wheel of Time AND ATTWS in one setlist. Nice. :mrgreen:

Led Guardian

#68 Post by Led Guardian » 16 Apr 2015 22:09

Edain wrote:Sounds reasonable to me. Time will tell. :) No surprises on the Strasbourg-setlist except for And then there was Silence. Wheel of Time AND ATTWS in one setlist. Nice. :mrgreen:
The last BG concert that I went to we got those AND Sacred Worlds. Really can't beat that. And the only US performance of Barbara Ann. :P
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Edain

#69 Post by Edain » 17 Apr 2015 11:35

Pah, when they were in Vienna in 2006 we got all ballads because Fred was sick.

Bards Song, APAFS, Harvest of Sorrow, Lord of the Rings, Carry the Blessed Home - And then there was Silence AND Barbara Ann. Eat that! :mrgreen:

ErHaO

#70 Post by ErHaO » 17 Apr 2015 12:01

I do not think the setlist variety is all that bad btw.

A few shows in, these are the songs that we did not get in the NL show: Last candle, Bright Eyes, Majesty, Wheel of Time, Lord of the Rings, And the Story Ends, Welcome to Dying, And then there was Silence. That is already more than half a CD worth of audio.

So far, 26 songs were played. Do you guys think all songs played will have a performance featured on the next Live? (Live had 22). I hope so :D
Led Guardian wrote:
Edain wrote:Sounds reasonable to me. Time will tell. :) No surprises on the Strasbourg-setlist except for And then there was Silence. Wheel of Time AND ATTWS in one setlist. Nice. :mrgreen:
The last BG concert that I went to we got those AND Sacred Worlds. Really can't beat that. And the only US performance of Barbara Ann. :P
Well, those people got Ninth Wave, WoT and ATTWS. Which to me is more epic. Ninth Wave is, against my expectations, absolutely a killer track live (the London crowd got it right from the looks of the above posted clips).

That was actually my only dissapointment of the Dutch show, that we got Sacred Worlds in the encore. While I like the track. I think it is a fairly standard power metal song with a nice ochestral intro/outro slapped onto it.

But yeah, can't beat Barbara Ann :D

Twister

#71 Post by Twister » 17 Apr 2015 19:58

ErHaO wrote:So far, 26 songs were played. Do you guys think all songs played will have a performance featured on the next Live? (Live had 22). I hope so :D
Well, if I'm not mistaken they said they were rehearsing around 40 songs, so it's quite possible what other users said before, that they're just playing the same songs all over to get more practiced over them every night and possibly getting better in playing them, maybe even taking some minor changes here and there to make them work better in their live versions - so that in the end we can have a good live recording of that song. And at a certain point they'll move on, putting other songs in the setlist.

In the next live album, I'd like to see all those songs from ATITM-ATEOT-BTRM that are on the setlists.
I'm waiting for a good live version of Fly since I first heard that song live in Florence, 2006!
Surely won't need another version of Valhalla, Majesty and Journey Through the Dark in there (we have plenty live versions of them), but I'd still enjoy having ATTWS for example, since the only live version we have is a DVD-recording one.
Edain wrote:Pah, when they were in Vienna in 2006 we got all ballads because Fred was sick.
I remember that gig!!! It was the very next show after the gig I attended in Florence! I remembered almost everyone of them was sick - and not only them, I got sick, as my sister and other four friends that were there. Nasty illness around the place... :P
Sorry about that! :P
"Well, I was about to announce the next song, but I think we'll have to skip it...
Yeah, because we have a pretty sad song here, and you all seem so happy to me...!"

(Hansi Kursch)

johnny61

#72 Post by johnny61 » 01 May 2015 09:59

That’s superb!! I am also a photographer my friend. I have captures loads of photos in various events. I displayed those photos in a photography exhibition. People really like my work!
Last edited by johnny61 on 23 Jun 2015 11:39, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow_Zero

#73 Post by Shadow_Zero » 01 May 2015 10:55

drummer88 wrote:I'm really eager to see a live video of TOTG. How do the people that already have been to concert feel on the live performance of that song? I'm really suprised that they don't play holy grail instead as it surely is a killer live song and in german metal forums people love that song, even the oldschool fans. On this particular case I was reminded on the last tour, where after some time the band noticed that AVITD isn't a good live song and replaced it by TITV. Maybe it'll be the same again.
From the new album I instantly liked The Ninth Wave, The Holy Grail and The Throne. Too bad they didn't play the latter 2.

@ErHaO: What mistakes did you notice in Eindhoven? (I only noticed Marcus' acoustic guitar (amp) not working during Miracle Machine ^^ ).
Wow!

Dentarthurdent

#74 Post by Dentarthurdent » 04 May 2015 02:12

Holy shit, what an amazing show in Stuttgart. Really nice stage/lighting-setup, and the band at the absolute top.

Great intro with 9th wave, and as foolow-up, as if it were nothing, Banish from fucking Sanctuary. Then the amazing acoustic prt with small drumkit and everything - Miracle Machine and a truly magical acoustic rendition of Lord of the Rings. Last Candle and Bright Eyes from the earlier stuff. And the Story Ends as last regular song, up comes War of Wrath & Into the Storm. Everyone starts shouting Majesty as usual and what do they do? They fucking play Guardian of the bloody Blind. I couldn't believe it! Valhalla finished the first block of encore, and the second was introduced by Wheel of Time, which was also a pretty good idea. And thn of course Bard's Song (no Hobbit, though) and Mirror Mirror.

But seriously, GUARDIAN OF THE BLIND! What the fuck? Gotta love that band.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

JazzJackrabbit

#75 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 04 May 2015 22:06

Dentarthurdent wrote:But seriously, GUARDIAN OF THE BLIND! What the fuck? Gotta love that band.
I've been trying to find video of them playing it but no luck so far. :(

JazzJackrabbit

#76 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 06 May 2015 16:18

North American dates are being posted now on Facebook including Toronto on Oct 29th!! :D :D

Edit: Full dates are up now. Looks like Grave Digger are supporting them.

http://www.blind-guardian.com/tour/

Traveller in Time

#77 Post by Traveller in Time » 06 May 2015 17:10

Traveler in Time showed up!

Wow and journey through the dark right after, really great
Milan was lucky
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Led Guardian

#78 Post by Led Guardian » 06 May 2015 19:53

Traveller in Time wrote:Traveler in Time showed up!

Wow and journey through the dark right after, really great
Milan was lucky
Uh, woohoo? :P

I really wish their surprises would be newer material, instead of older stuff. I think Guardian of the Blind is the only one I'm a bit excited about. I'm okay with Banish, but I feel like something like Holy Grail would fit that niche as well or better. And I think our opinions differ on those two you mentioned. :lol: Even within their own albums, I consider those songs middle-of-the-road and most boring song on the album, respectively. Journey through the Dark I think actually falls in the bottom 10% of BG songs for me, so I'm really hoping to get something else in its place when I see them.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

JazzJackrabbit

#79 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 07 May 2015 01:02

Found a video of Guardian Of The Blind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub4VzJR5NDU

Dentarthurdent

#80 Post by Dentarthurdent » 07 May 2015 03:21

Led Guardian wrote:Journey through the Dark I think actually falls in the bottom 10% of BG songs for me, so I'm really hoping to get something else in its place when I see them.
You, sir, are a very strange person.

;)
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

Avelar

#81 Post by Avelar » 07 May 2015 12:01

JazzJackrabbit wrote:Found a video of Guardian Of The Blind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub4VzJR5NDU
What a surprise! I wouldn't expect this song to be played on this tour. And it was performed perfectly! Forever young BG :twisted:
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.

sciacallo010

#82 Post by sciacallo010 » 07 May 2015 19:08

Guys a little gift for you: I interviewed Marcus a couple of days ago (the interview will be online soon but I don't know if it will be published in english and italian, or just italian) and he told me that there's a 5th song from Beyond The Red Mirror, he didn't specified which one, which they'll play at some time in the future ;)

Dragonfly

#83 Post by Dragonfly » 07 May 2015 20:32

sciacallo010 wrote:Guys a little gift for you: I interviewed Marcus a couple of days ago (the interview will be online soon but I don't know if it will be published in english and italian, or just italian) and he told me that there's a 5th song from Beyond The Red Mirror, he didn't specified which one, which they'll play at some time in the future ;)
Awesome! Thank you! :)
It's kinda nice that he didn't specify which song it was, it keeps fans intrigued, but I'd like to know when they are going to unveil it finally because I'm starting to fear that this exclusive surprise box will not be opened until, for instance, the US tour. And that would mean no Holy Grail for me and many others.
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

Ryu

#84 Post by Ryu » 07 May 2015 23:58

Things to consider..

First I've heard them mention playing "Ashes" live more than any of the remaining tracks, which is a shame if it turns out to be the 5th track mentioned.

Second, Sacred Mind was dubbed "their favorite among the fast ones" numerous times.

"Grand Parade" is the track they're most proud of in their history of songwriting, and is definitely a much less daring endeavor than ATTWS.

Finally, fans seem to really beg for "The Throne" and "Holy Grail". I haven't seen any reactions from the band concerning these songs in a live environment. Do they mention "Holy Grail" Being a contender for a live spot in their recent video wherein they talk about each track?

All that said, "Doom" will probably never be played. ;(
Defiant of destiny

Jon The Wise

#85 Post by Jon The Wise » 16 Aug 2015 20:07

Sorry to bump this, that youtube video of Guardian Of The Blind is so wicked, I know Marcus hates playing Majesty so I told him a few years back to just play ANYTHING else from Battalions, and you wouldn't have to play Majesty. I would kill to see this done live, too bad they aren't playing it at too many of the shows yet though. Hansi's vocals sounded so good, they need to do it more!

Ryu

#86 Post by Ryu » 21 Aug 2015 00:47

They could 100% nail any song from BoF/FTB live. They aren't really vocally demanding.

That said, play Follow the Blind, bards. :D
Defiant of destiny

Jon The Wise

#87 Post by Jon The Wise » 26 Aug 2015 16:14

Given how often they do those tracks, it was especially awesome. They need to play more from the :twisted: first two albums more often.

Shadow_Zero

#88 Post by Shadow_Zero » 18 Dec 2015 01:58

New setlist:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/blind-gua ... 230b0.html

Pretty much the same as in the US. Too bad we didn't get Barbara Ann, Wheel of Time, ATTWS or even Holy Grail / The Throne.
I guess we had the European debut of Curse of Feanor. Not a fan of the song myself, but part of the crowd was chanting for it :)

And I know chanting Majesty is a sort of a 'running gag', so to say, during Blind Guardian shows, but damn, the song just remains killer live! (only the second time I've seen them play it in the Benelux) They can swap it for Imaginations From The Other Side any time :mrgreen:
Last Candle was very nice as well!

They started 20:50 and ended like 23:05, long show! Nice! (though Last Candle and Valhalla got a REALLY long crowd extension ;) ).
But damn, can we skip the crowd extensions next time and get Barbara Ann! I've never experienced that song live :( (been seeing the Bard's live every tour since 2002).

Shadow_Zero

#89 Post by Shadow_Zero » 24 Dec 2015 11:15

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/blind-gua ... 22500.html
Holy cow, Lord of the Rings acoustic! That's awesome! (and they also got ATTWS)

I'm wondering, I see all these setlists with "played by crowd request". How does this work? Does Hansi ask the crowd which song to play?
Too bad we didn't have a 3rd encore in Utrecht :/