Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.

Which old song is "Harvester of Souls" ?

1. Battlefield
33%
2. Under the Ice
11%
3. Punishment Divine
11%
4. The Soulforged
11%
5. Otherland
No votes
6. Road Of No Release
No votes
7. The Prophecies
No votes
8. And the Story Ends
11%
9. Precious Jerusalem
No votes
10. The Script for My Requiem
No votes
11. Theatre of Pain
No votes
13. At The Edge Of Time
22%

Total votes: 9

priderock

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#401 Post by priderock » 09 Nov 2019 16:42

Dragonfly wrote:
09 Nov 2019 15:49
Traveller in Time wrote:
09 Nov 2019 00:14
Dragonfly wrote:
08 Nov 2019 23:09
By the way, congratulations, fellow brothers and sisters, we made it to this fabled day! How many of us were desperate it would never come? We have a truly historic occasion today which I'm sure will be remembered for many as well.

On a darker note - I wonder how many people actually didn't live long enough to see this album's release and never got a chance to see it come out and give it a listen...
Amen.

Hard to see the video shots with Douglas Fielding, knowing he is not living anymore, great job he did.
To all others can be said: It is like you dreamed of....it is everything and beyond. So i guess they know :)
Indeed. And this album is his very last work I believe? At least the stars aligned so that he could be a part of this project.
Such a wise words, guys!!! Dragonfly, I've never thought about how many people did not make it to the album, but after thinking about it, I have to say that the release of this project comes together with a tears of joy and some blood tears as well... It's covered by the sunrise of the day, but also with some dark clouds behind it...

Funny part, but that's the way life works - some of us won't make it for the second one, if one fine day it comes to the light of day...

Dragonfly

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#402 Post by Dragonfly » 09 Nov 2019 19:04

priderock wrote:
09 Nov 2019 16:42

Such a wise words, guys!!! Dragonfly, I've never thought about how many people did not make it to the album, but after thinking about it, I have to say that the release of this project comes together with a tears of joy and some blood tears as well... It's covered by the sunrise of the day, but also with some dark clouds behind it...

Funny part, but that's the way life works - some of us won't make it for the second one, if one fine day it comes to the light of day...
Now that you mention it, in a fresh interview Hansi prophesied that a second Blind Guardian Twilight Orchestra album would be out as soon as 2040 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Here's the link, though it's in German: https://www.derwesten.de/panorama/promi ... 83851.html

Only 21 years to wait, that's 2 years faster than the first part. :)
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

Nahar

#403 Post by Nahar » 09 Nov 2019 22:06

Wondering if some of you also get the feeling that some parts are familiar.

I'm trying to pinpoint some parts:
1) Treason's ending line: "no one knows..."
2) Nephilim's "It's the twist of fate again" - sounds terribly familiar.
3) Nephilim's next line...

I'm talking about the vocal Melody, and possibly some words.
I asked the same question before about some parts in AtEoT (with some answers). I'm not blaming them for stealing or anything, but mainly I'm curious if it's a small tribute or just a pure musical choice and basically a coincidence.

Can you recognize any of these? Do you get such feelings towards these and other parts?
"As darkness came it brought along silence.
Yet silence also bears madness.
Silence surrounds me - a deathly silence"...

MEPHiSTO

#404 Post by MEPHiSTO » 10 Nov 2019 11:22

What the fuck guys. I waited 2/3 of my life for this orchestral project. When I listened to "Point of no Return" I was not touched at all. It is quite a nice song, but sounded so "polished", without any edge. Like someone had over 20 years time to make it perfect ;) I was a bit disappointed.
When "The Storm" was released my feelings got even worse. Also a nice song, but still nothing special, I thought.

Then, while I was on holiday, the album was sent to me. I planned the holiday to end on 8th, but shipping and delivering was done on 7th while I was on an Island. I did not expect to receive the album on the same day it was shipped. In the evening of the 7th I just checked Youtube every 5 minutes: Someone else must already got the CD and put at least one or two Songs online. Nothing. The next morning I woke up early, took the ferr boat at 7:45 a.m., drove hours by car home (and passed Krefeld ~23 km during the way home :D) just to find my copy in the mailbox.
I made my favourite tea, opened the package, got my external DVD-drive (during the last two decades CD- and DVD-drives in notebooks got old-fashioned.. whait, notebooks? :D), put on my ANC-headphones and what followed was only magic. I now understand "Point of no Return" and "The Storm". I also understand that those songs are not the album, but only parts of it. There is no one song that represents the album. Only the complete tracklist does so.

I immediately felt in love with just everything. This is a masterpiece. I have to listen like 500 times to every song again to get all their beatuy and details. I even listened nearly one year every day to "Beyond the Red Mirror". I guess this time I need at least two years :D

This is so overwhelming. Every time I hear a song it gets my new favourite song until I listend to the next song, which gets my new favourite song, until... ;)

@Blind Guardian
Thank you so much. This touches my heart so deep.

Someone should make a list what happened in the last 20 years, while this masterpiece was created.
The craziest thing: Duke Nukem Forever was released :D

Nahar wrote:
09 Nov 2019 22:06

Sounds like "Out on the Water" (Very beginning of "Out on the Water" of Nightfall)

Quarzstufenhyäne

#405 Post by Quarzstufenhyäne » 10 Nov 2019 11:58

Is it just me or are there electric guitars in the chorus of Dark Clouds Rising? I was told this album would be orchestra only :D

Nahar

#406 Post by Nahar » 10 Nov 2019 12:47

Quarzstufenhyäne wrote:
10 Nov 2019 11:58
Is it just me or are there electric guitars in the chorus of Dark Clouds Rising? I was told this album would be orchestra only :D
Was thinking the exact same thing...

Nahar

#407 Post by Nahar » 10 Nov 2019 12:59

Found this: https://youtu.be/iwYsBKBR1kw

Any German speaker care to summarize?

Traveller in Time

#408 Post by Traveller in Time » 10 Nov 2019 13:46

Nahar wrote:
10 Nov 2019 12:59
Found this: https://youtu.be/iwYsBKBR1kw

Any German speaker care to summarize?
- Hansi prefers vinyl. Especially for the orchestra album (which had extra mastering in USA) and suggests to buy black one, because coloured can be to due production processes have a different granulation, not much but there is. But he is fine with CDs and says CDs sometimes have advantages compared to vinyl
- Andre likes CDs and still buys them
- Talking about cooperation with Heitz: He had to release the prequel, because he had a deadline to keep (BG thought they could have released their album in May). Bit difficulty because Hansi did develop the story and Heitz did not know in which direction, but of course the main idea (story of Nicolas) was set.
- They did everything on their own, besides writing the playing notes for the single instruments, producer wo work for BG are only there to "ennoble" their work. Every decision is made by Hansi and Andre
- 2021 are shows with orchestra planned, but not in which form, maybe a second BGOA (big event), maybe just in concert halls (then maybe several).
- Production regular BG album starts beginning next year

Most interesting and new:
They will keep the stylisitc (using orchestra) in future albums, they are far not done with it (trying out everything, Andre likes the dynamics you can create), although new album will have less orchestra in it than BTRM and more metal, but still complex.
Hansi even says that he thought they would get away from the orchestra stuff, after this release, but he was wrong. I guess Andre still wants to compose things for orchestra

and to answer Nahar's post:

The orchestra project always had influence on regular BG albums since 2002. There would have been no ATTWS without the orchestra project. Andre says that in the interview aswell.

for the no one knows part i don*t know any similarity to other BG songs. But i only thought of Black Chamber and the Eldar, Out of the water was not in my focus, thanks to Mephisto to bring it up. The great ordeal reminds me on some parts of The New Order and ATTWS, but nothing to be worried about. All in all there is always something comparabble to other music, composition harmonies of notes are not endless (it is but not everything sounds good for us ;-)
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Traveller in Time

#409 Post by Traveller in Time » 10 Nov 2019 13:59

MEPHiSTO wrote:
10 Nov 2019 11:22
What the fuck guys. I waited 2/3 of my life for this orchestral project. When I listened to "Point of no Return" I was not touched at all. It is quite a nice song, but sounded so "polished", without any edge. Like someone had over 20 years time to make it perfect ;) I was a bit disappointed.
When "The Storm" was released my feelings got even worse. Also a nice song, but still nothing special, I thought.

Then, while I was on holiday, the album was sent to me. I planned the holiday to end on 8th, but shipping and delivering was done on 7th while I was on an Island. I did not expect to receive the album on the same day it was shipped. In the evening of the 7th I just checked Youtube every 5 minutes: Someone else must already got the CD and put at least one or two Songs online. Nothing. The next morning I woke up early, took the ferr boat at 7:45 a.m., drove hours by car home (and passed Krefeld ~23 km during the way home :D) just to find my copy in the mailbox.
I made my favourite tea, opened the package, got my external DVD-drive (during the last two decades CD- and DVD-drives in notebooks got old-fashioned.. whait, notebooks? :D), put on my ANC-headphones and what followed was only magic. I now understand "Point of no Return" and "The Storm". I also understand that those songs are not the album, but only parts of it. There is no one song that represents the album. Only the complete tracklist does so.

I immediately felt in love with just everything. This is a masterpiece. I have to listen like 500 times to every song again to get all their beatuy and details. I even listened nearly one year every day to "Beyond the Red Mirror". I guess this time I need at least two years :D

This is so overwhelming. Every time I hear a song it gets my new favourite song until I listend to the next song, which gets my new favourite song, until... ;)

@Blind Guardian
Thank you so much. This touches my heart so deep.

Someone should make a list what happened in the last 20 years, while this masterpiece was created.
The craziest thing: Duke Nukem Forever was released :D

Nahar wrote:
09 Nov 2019 22:06

Sounds like "Out on the Water" (Very beginning of "Out on the Water" of Nightfall)
Great post. Did enjoy this one. Reminds me of myself (not only the setting, drinking tea (btw black tea is my preferred) listening with headphones via PC (to all audiophil people: with extra soundcard (Asus Xonar Essence)) , had the same feeling of "the point of no return", to polished and lacking somehow the details you expect. "This storm" made me more confident that it will be great. But after listening to the whole album, i can only appologize for my stupid words and again proves everyone right who had the passion to not listening to the single songs and know can enjoy the epicness of this masterpiece in a whole. You made the right call!

Traveller in Time

#410 Post by Traveller in Time » 10 Nov 2019 16:13

hahaha, the interview with "der westen" had really some nice moments which i don't want to be left out for you guys.
When Hansi was asked what will be in 2039 and which mega project will they release then:

Looking into the future 20 years ahead? Sounds meanwhile very ambitous to me these days, but why not. What will we do in 20 years?
We will witness the 25.000th play of the theatre play of "legacy the dark lands". The play is already world heritage and is still running since 20 years at broadway.
After several blockbuster soundtracks, which we arranged succesfully, we finally win the oscar after 2 further unsuccessfull nominations for the Tolkien classic "Akalabeth" for the best soundtrack.
With Blind Guardian we fullfill our long living heart disire and do our first unplugged tour. The live accoustic album, which gets released in same year, "Mordor Interludes" ia the most successfull album all over the world.
In 2040 the second album of Blind Guardian's Twilight orchestra "Somewhere in the Dark Lands, Jazzterday" gets released.No clue if it will be successfull, because of a mix of metal with saxophon, clarinet and contrabass.
But well who dares nothing, who wins nothing.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Sounds everything realistic to me besides releasing a live album within the same year as the tour, Mr. Kürsch :lol: :lol:

Nahar

#411 Post by Nahar » 10 Nov 2019 18:46

Traveller in Time wrote:
10 Nov 2019 16:13
hahaha, the interview with "der westen" had really some nice moments which i don't want to be left out for you guys.
When Hansi was asked what will be in 2039 and which mega project will they release then:

Looking into the future 20 years ahead? Sounds meanwhile very ambitous to me these days, but why not. What will we do in 20 years?
We will witness the 25.000th play of the theatre play of "legacy the dark lands". The play is already world heritage and is still running since 20 years at broadway.
After several blockbuster soundtracks, which we arranged succesfully, we finally win the oscar after 2 further unsuccessfull nominations for the Tolkien classic "Akalabeth" for the best soundtrack.
With Blind Guardian we fullfill our long living heart disire and do our first unplugged tour. The live accoustic album, which gets released in same year, "Mordor Interludes" ia the most successfull album all over the world.
In 2040 the second album of Blind Guardian's Twilight orchestra "Somewhere in the Dark Lands, Jazzterday" gets released.No clue if it will be successfull, because of a mix of metal with saxophon, clarinet and contrabass.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Sounds everything realistic to me besides releasing a live album within the same year as the tour, Mr. Kürsch :lol: :lol:
LOL!
Very nice.
And true comment :)

Dragonfly

#412 Post by Dragonfly » 10 Nov 2019 21:11

Traveller in Time wrote:
10 Nov 2019 16:13

I was guessing while reading it, thanks again Traveller! Everything sounds quite realistic, doesn't it? Leave it to Blind Guardian to mix metal, orchestra and jazz instruments, and they will somehow make it sound magnificent. All we have to do is just stay alive until 2040, if the world hasn't come to an end by that time. :mrgreen:

wade-newb

#413 Post by wade-newb » 12 Nov 2019 06:51

I just can’t stop listening to this album, it’s pure magic.
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

Warmoth

#414 Post by Warmoth » 12 Nov 2019 07:47

EDIT: before I get trashed to oblivion. I Recognize this album as a huge feat. It's clearly very competent and high quality. After first couple listens there were epic moments that shined and inspired wonder sprinkled in the mass. I can't wait to LOVE it as much as I love their other works.

OK guys, it's fresh on my mind. I apologize in advance for my long winded, blunt mess below. And for perhaps speaking too soon. But I have to get this out. My gut reactions. This may come off as nit picky, but for an album that was teased for so long...it's going be scrutinized.

Spoiler - I don't love this album...yet. (I also didn't love "Beyond the Red Mirror" when it first came out, but I've come to thoroughly appreciate it now).

"Story"

I just finished 2 full listens. I Read along with it the first time using the Earbook. I read the liner notes by Markus Heitz. I then Listened to the Audio book LP, which did actually contain additional recordings not heard on the album. And in preparation, last week I finished "The Dark Lands" in English.

I'm sorry, in regards to the "story" I'm underwhelmed thoroughly. I can't mask it. It lacks so much to be considered a narrative. With more time, I'm sure it will become a bit clearer. I don't need my hand held but...it shouldn't be so cryptic when it's advertised as a sequel to a book. Side note: "Beyond the Red Mirror" suffered the same condition but it never became clear (I posted a GIGANTIC analysis of that album in which I desperately searched for meaning). I can only conclude...they should stop doing original story concept albums.... And that's fine, honestly, I could listen to Hansi sing the phonebook. If you followed the making of this album over the last few years, it was already clear that the lyrics and story was tacked on last minute when compared to the 20+ year timeline.

Voice acting / Interludes
I think it was a mistake to use the same men from Nightfall in Middle Earth. As good as they are. I already knew of course, but I didn't think it would be so in your face. As soon as the album began I get poked in the eye with this. And then throughout they played multiple characters... it's very jarring, unbelievable and confusing. Their voices are too recognizable and they don't really augment them. For me, this causes a direct comparison to NiME. And let's just say NiME is one of greatest albums of all time. So it immediately makes this album pale. While I'm being rude, I'll say the female voice is somewhat bland and uninteresting.

Not only are the voices the same, but even the dialogues are remarkably similar. Similar in general construction and action. Even vocabulary. It seems uncreative. And I'm sorry, but when I hear those iconic voices say certain words, I'm transported out of the album and back into the masterpiece NiME. Especially when they're backed by similar SFX.

Oh and yeah... they used the "War of Wrath" SFX! Just copy/pasted them right into "The Great Assault". No one else noticed this?!? It was like a punch in the face. I mean come on... If they are trying to do some extremely meta linking to NiME, just tell us. Otherwise, it's kind of embarrassing. Or even more cynically, it sounds like some executive said "Hey, everyone loves NiME, let's exploit fan's nostalgia"

The Music
I knew this was an Orchestral album from the beginning. Yet I still consider the lack of electric guitars a missed opportunity.

Remaking "At the Edge of Time" in the form of "Harvester of Souls" was 100% pointless. Obviously they can do whatever they want, but I see this as tarnishing and lazy (disclosure: I love "At the Edge of Time").

As pointed out, there are many musical similarities to older BG songs. Maybe I'm too familiar with their catalog, but I tend to notice these things easily....I think it was "The Great Ordeal" Chorus-like area reminded me heavily of pieces of "And then there was silence" for one random example. This isn't a super big deal, it happens. They aren't blatant like some bands

Lyrically, there are certain lines and themes Hansi has hammered at for a very long time. That's fine too. Vocally, I really didn't notice anything new like others are claiming. He sounds good, but not breaking new ground.

Don't hate me, hopefully I'll change my mind on some of this soon. I'll be listening to it many more times. Currently I can't even rank the songs. I don't find any of them to stand out at all, other than the Singles which I've heard several times already. I do like the singles, now that I can sing along to them...but is that really liking the song, or just some sort of weird self-satisfaction game?
Last edited by Warmoth on 13 Nov 2019 01:08, edited 4 times in total.

priderock

#415 Post by priderock » 12 Nov 2019 10:19

Well, after full listening to the album a couple of times, even that I still did not hear it on vinyl with really good sound system and quality, since it's still not here, I have to say my opinion:
First of all - the album is a masterpiece, that's for sure. I know how B.G. albums grow on me and I'm almost completely sure that this will become my favorite one - I can already sense that. As for Hansi's voice - yes, it's pure Hansi, just taking everything till now an making it to the maximum. I LOVE it! The only minus that I have is the 20 years teasing, something like this can really fuck your experience due to the high expectations. It's not that the album does not meet them, just already creates sounds and expectations of how the album will sound - and once you heard it and it's different, the mind is disappointed, even that with the time you can realize that it's even better as you have expected it. I already have moments in the album that are beyond my imagination and expectations, but you got the point... As for Harvester of Souls, I always loved that song, so having it here is amazing. The only problem that I have with it is that it's not a new experience.., but who cares, the song is amazing as usual...

About the missing guitars and so on.., I absolutely prefer the pure orchestral sound and the dramatic melodies, so it works more than ever to me. At the same time I really don't want a second BTRM. The album is my favourite together with ANATO, but I don't want the same album again... No point of that

LLAG

#416 Post by LLAG » 12 Nov 2019 13:54

After listening the album a few times (6 or 7) I have a better idea of what is happening. And I guess I still will need more time. But this is growing in the expected direction.

I don't really need the guitar at all. The soundtrack feeling is strong and it works completely for me. The compositions are top, they have a lot of different details and moments, so I love it. And I understand that they have used some of the ideas in little parts of their last 4 albums, so the influence is there. But, from my point of view, an album like this one ask for some particular sound, and if you have to got it form other side, you has take it. Like Moulin Rouge, stealing pop/rock songs from everywhere, but being excellent just for this, because it was impossible to compose such a bunch of good music just for a film. I understand BG has used the best lines possible for every moment. And it works.

Abourt the interludes, I like to listening to the same people that work on NiME, as narrators or actors, it is common to see the same people in different roles.

What I expect for the future? The option of them to use some of the songs live as a band. I think I the Red Dwarf Tower could work, using samples for the chorus, also Dark Cloud's Rising. About this one, could it be that part of the lyrics reffer to Frodo or Bilbo leaving the Shire and they re-used this?

Warmoth

#417 Post by Warmoth » 12 Nov 2019 17:05

LLAG wrote:
12 Nov 2019 13:54
Dark Cloud's Rising. About this one, could it be that part of the lyrics reffer to Frodo or Bilbo leaving the Shire and they re-used this?
I felt that completely

MEPHiSTO

#418 Post by MEPHiSTO » 12 Nov 2019 19:09

Traveller in Time wrote:
10 Nov 2019 13:59
Great post. Did enjoy this one. Reminds me of myself (not only the setting, drinking tea (btw black tea is my preferred) listening with headphones via PC (to all audiophil people: with extra soundcard (Asus Xonar Essence)) , ...
Look how old we got :D
23 years ago we might gave the album its first listen in a bar, with crappy sound, being out with friends and drinking beer. Today we search a quiet place, listening with a good tea and with headphones.
As someone referred before: RIP to everyone that did not make it to the release. And "enjoy" for everyone that is still alive and able to listen to the songs. Someone should make a goup photograph of all of us, finally holding their copy in hand and listening. Maybe on the second Blind Guardian Festival ;)
priderock wrote:
12 Nov 2019 10:19
I already have moments in the album that are beyond my imagination and expectations, but you got the point... As for Harvester of Souls, I always loved that song, so having it here is amazing. The only problem that I have with it is that it's not a new experience.., but who cares, the song is amazing as usual...
Last weekend I infected a colleague with Blind Guardian. He thought it was some kind of "Kuttenmetal" and never gave it a try. After showing him some parts of every "era", he started to enjoy the music. He is often listening to old 80s/90s metal songs and loves classical music, so he basically likes most of the components of BG.
When I showed him "Harvester of Souls" I made an interesting discovery: For me the song is a revelation. I really like the part when the "chorus" sets in (first time at ~1:58 with "The seed's conceived..."), because in the orchestral version it feels so easy and pure. The sound feels so smooth and soft, while the "At the Edge of Time"-version goes with rhythm guitars and drums at this particular part. Knowing the "At the Edge of Time"-version, the "Harvester of Souls"-version feels so much redemptive and harmonic.

I really love both versions. When I heard some bits of the song in a teaser on Youtube I was so pleased to hear this familiar and beautiful song. My opinion is that both have its individual right to exist :D

I think without knowing the "old" one my feelings would be different. Like the ones of my colleague who had not that deep feelings of "At the Edge of Time" and the comparison between both songs. Maybe, in some years, when he also listened every song a hundred times as I did, he may feel it. But maybe he never will, since he did not waited that many years between the songs ;)

/edit
And I really really like the "Silver Bullet on its way"-part. It reminds me of the Gunslinger and the Dark Tower.

Traveller in Time

#419 Post by Traveller in Time » 12 Nov 2019 23:03

Oh and yeah... they used the "War of Wrath" SFX! Just copy/pasted them right into "The Great Assault". No one else noticed this?!? It was like a punch in the face. I mean come on... If they are trying to do some extremely meta linking to NiME, just tell us. Otherwise, it's kind of embarrassing. Or even more cynically, it sounds like some executive said "Hey, everyone loves NiME, let's exploit fan's nostalgia"
i did. And i think it was on purpose, the whole album screams so for lord of the rings, even the story is similiar, if you ask me. And the same feelings appear (Nicolas not knowing what he is capable of, like Frodo, fellowship, fighting against a greater evil, betrayal (Saruman), Giants stand on their side(Ents or eagles) and so on) And you can recognize that that album influenced all the others in between, there are several hints. This album shows their evolution process. I would say every song released has some link to it.

Nahar

#420 Post by Nahar » 12 Nov 2019 23:51

I agree that there seems to be a purpose in re-using stuff.
For War of Wrath SFX I think it can symbolize war, and the idea of it being something that doesn't really change its essence and one recording is good for all.
I guess the album is kind of a retrospect for them (although not exactly for the fans) - mixing up different eras, so that's another added meaning for that idea.
In that sense - also leaving "leftovers" of the original ideas has a special quality that shows that the "story" is bigger than just that of The Dark Lands.
Thinking about it - Dark Lands sounds like a vague enough concept... and the Legacy can also be that of Blind Guardian :)

Something I find interesting in the album is the more free-form songwriting, leaving behind the 3-time-repeated-chorus (almost) rule. I think what helped them with that a bit was the idea to have a musical theme that repeats in different places and binds the songs together. I suppose you guys noticed the repeated themes as well (sometimes it's quite blunt). Can anyone here map it out?... How much does 1618 Ouverture cover?...

Nahar

#421 Post by Nahar » 13 Nov 2019 00:10

Nahar

#422 Post by Nahar » 14 Nov 2019 22:02

Silence surrounds me...

I want to read more of your thoughts!
What happened to the hype?

Anyway, to make it a useful reply - can someone please tell me what's the source for the LOTR references of specific songs? I seem to have missed that interview (or whatever it was) and I'm curious...

wade-newb

#423 Post by wade-newb » 15 Nov 2019 00:11

Thanks for that Blabbermouth interview, I really enjoyed it. Seemed a nice chemistry of quality questions and answers.

On a slightly different note I just started listening again to BtRM right now for the first time in a while (I’ve been on a looon Demons and Wizards, Maskandi, and folk metal trip) and already The Ninth Wave has hit me completely different because of Legacy of the Dark Lands. The whole tone of BtRM seems to make more sense to me.

Nahar

#425 Post by Nahar » 15 Nov 2019 09:13

Haha.
I thought he was joking in some weird fashion, but then I saw he gave it just one spin.

How can a Blind Guardian fan judge a Blind Guardian album from just one listen?...
I've been surprised about this kind of comments several times since this album came out.
An interesting phenomena...
It's nice, though, that this album is controversial. Hansi, at least, saw it coming. Apparently he knows their fans quite well...

Nahar

#426 Post by Nahar » 15 Nov 2019 09:18

wade-newb wrote:
15 Nov 2019 00:11
Thanks for that Blabbermouth interview, I really enjoyed it. Seemed a nice chemistry of quality questions and answers.
I tried to search there but couldn't find it.
Do you have a link?..
wade-newb wrote:
15 Nov 2019 00:11
On a slightly different note I just started listening again to BtRM right now for the first time in a while (I’ve been on a looon Demons and Wizards, Maskandi, and folk metal trip) and already The Ninth Wave has hit me completely different because of Legacy of the Dark Lands. The whole tone of BtRM seems to make more sense to me.
Very interesting!
Especially since I think BtRM had a similar impact on their previous albums. I hope to get the same experience... (But I'm still busy immersing myself in Legacy...)

Guardian'86

#427 Post by Guardian'86 » 15 Nov 2019 10:39

Nahar wrote:
15 Nov 2019 09:13
Haha.
I thought he was joking in some weird fashion, but then I saw he gave it just one spin.

How can a Blind Guardian fan judge a Blind Guardian album from just one listen?...
I've been surprised about this kind of comments several times since this album came out.
An interesting phenomena...
It's nice, though, that this album is controversial. Hansi, at least, saw it coming. Apparently he knows their fans quite well...
This review is totally funny. Hansi's vocals doesn't fit with the music???? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: No comments, a BG fan but even a serious music listener, metal listener, wouldn't say a thing like this but maybe that this opinion is totally right on his mind....and his impression for him is the truth !! anyway I respect this....but he didn't explore all the details, in terms of music, vocals and choirs, this album neeeds to be assimilated and it demands a lot of time...

Dragonfly

#428 Post by Dragonfly » 15 Nov 2019 14:15

Nahar wrote:
15 Nov 2019 09:13
Haha.

Exactly! What a load of bullshit. No good review is written after just one listening session. He was so eager to put his 'product' out - his toilet sure was burning...

priderock

#429 Post by priderock » 15 Nov 2019 18:17

1 listening and making a review - The only shit in their "toilet" is this guys!

Kuros

#430 Post by Kuros » 16 Nov 2019 16:37

I agree with the review. The album has definite pacing issues, and often feels like disparate snippets that they've struggled to paste together into songs. As for the music itself, many parts sound like they were written for a musical - which is perfectly fine if you're into that stuff, but there's something lacking with a straight-to-album approach of a musical and skipping the film part. If these songs would have been part of a movie, they would have accompanied the character development of the story and the visuals of the performances, and if the orchestrations had been part of a metal album, they would have accompanied the rhythm and dynamism of the guitar parts, but standing by themselves they lack something - bombast without soul and epicness without story.

This is all subjective however, the one objectively atrocious failure of the album is the production. Compressed to all hell and even CLIPPING at loud bassy parts. Check out this abomination: https://youtu.be/XZWMjYJ8eTI?t=292

Traveller in Time

#431 Post by Traveller in Time » 16 Nov 2019 17:39

sorry, but youtube has no good sound quality, even the official "Point of no return" sounds different from the CD version. To be honest i hear some clipping on my headphones (Sony MDR MA900 via Asus Sonar soundcard), too. But for example with my car's speakers it is not there. And even Hansi and Andre were aware that CD has its limitations and they had to figure out a compromise between classic and modern sound (which is fine via streaming and can put itself through in playlists among other songs). The vinyl should be the ultimate source for searching for production mistakes if you ask me. I for myself cannot judge it, because of having not the best equipment at all, nor having listened to the vinyl, and finally i am far no audio expert (i just can compare it to other classic recordings or other productions).
But i would be interested which devices you used, highend audio system, headphones, streaming etc?

Well concerning the story it is a matter of taste, for me all the songs are connected and tell a story, if you let it. And i think it is the most importan thing at all. You Need time, focus and a mood to dive into it. If one of these is missing it does not work. So i can understand people saying, well that is too much effort for me. I often just want to listen to songs while doing something parallel. Then more simple songs are better.
But if you invest in it and can assure that there is a much better outcome than any simple song can have. At the end it is a matter of taste, like with everything. But one listening does not do it and that is my main critics on this review.
You can write that it is maybe too complex and not easy listening. I would be really interested in an review of an expert in classic recordings and mastering.

But thanks for your opinion and i hope other forumers won't roast you :-)
Last edited by Traveller in Time on 16 Nov 2019 22:45, edited 1 time in total.

wade-newb

#432 Post by wade-newb » 16 Nov 2019 18:50

SO glad they have the instrumentals on Spotify as well as the normal songs. Now that I’m getting more familiar with the songs’ identities and structures I can’t help want even more. I love the Blind Guardian signature in orchestral compositions, and of course Hansi’s vocals, and I suddenly feel that just one orchestral album from them is nowhere near enough. As someone who was not even following the development of this album since the start, please don’t take so long to make a follow-up 😂

priderock

#433 Post by priderock » 16 Nov 2019 21:41

In the Underworld is perfect on vinyl, I already checked about clipping, but didn't found anything... Also, the quality of the album is way better here than the CD. It's far more clear and way more dynamic... After hearing it on CD and then on vinyl, I wouldn't play it on CD again..Hansi also recommended the vinyl here... The difference is really big and I would not recommend the listening of this album on CD, as well... The story is their best by far and the music is so powerful that it does not need any "film" images... It already creates a lot...

My only complain about this perfect album are some strange noises and I don't mean clipping. For example, does anyone else hears a strange "puk" sound around the "now kill the king" part from Harvester of Souls... There are other examples as well.., they are not some major mistakes, but to be honest, it really borders my ears, especially when I know it's there :/

Traveller in Time

#434 Post by Traveller in Time » 16 Nov 2019 21:54

what record player, stereo and speakers do you use? Just curious.

priderock

#435 Post by priderock » 16 Nov 2019 22:13

I'm using a vinyl player Sony PS-HX500 and Panasonic akx700 as a stereo system. The sound is totally perfect with these two.., just can't even imagine how can anyone complain about the production - it's perfectly clear and full of dynamic... I said about my only complain, would like to hear if someone else shares the same opinion?

You can also hear what I'm talking about in "yet everything it shaaaallll" part from Point of No Return. It's again this strange 'puk' sound that appears from nowhere(in the right speaker I think) :/ As I said, it's not a big deal, but aren't the guys able to hear these things and remove them somehow.

All in all, I'm really happy about the album - this is their first album for me where I don't want to skip a single narration or a song while listening to it - can listen it from A to Z... and explode on every single song... It's their best songwriting ever... It will be really sad if Twilight Orchestra 2 never sees a light of day... As I said before, for the past 15 years, the orchestrations are their strongest side.

Nahar

#436 Post by Nahar » 18 Nov 2019 00:20

I somehow get the feeling that several parts of the album refer to The Lord of the Rings (and not just musically).
The most obvious reference is "The road goes on"... but we can find more stuff in Dark Cloud's Rising: first - the title, reminds me of the Shadow of the Past chapter, though also the actual dark cloud that covers Gondor later. Also there's the "friends you'll meet on your way" part, and carrying the burden part.
In the Red Dwarf's Tower, reminded me of Gandalf's captivity, and you can easily imagine the choir singing "Saruman" in that su-su part...
There's The White Horseman interlude - LotR has The White Rider chapter...
We can find more such stuff...

But how does this make sense?
I guess that Hansi had some demo LotR versions and we know that sometimes he leaves some demo stuff even if it doesn't fit the story (at least in NiME I know it happened several times).
But this time the story came way after (most of) the music. I didn't read Dark Lands, but I'm beginning to suspect Hansi wanted it to have some LotR themes (reworked by Markus and all..) so that he could make such double references.
What do you think?

Kuros

#437 Post by Kuros » 18 Nov 2019 14:26

Traveller in Time wrote:
16 Nov 2019 17:39
sorry, but youtube has no good sound quality
I use Spotify Premium, same problem there, and it has nothing to do with my headphones. I'm not the only one experiencing these issues. Check out this reddit thread for example.

priderock

#438 Post by priderock » 18 Nov 2019 15:44

Kuros wrote:
18 Nov 2019 14:26
Traveller in Time wrote:
I use Spotify Premium, same problem there, and it has nothing to do with my headphones. I'm not the only one experiencing these issues. Check out this reddit thread for example.
Did you try on Vinyl? I guess all those people are listening on CD and the CD does not sounds as good as the vinyl. Hearing it on vinyl, I did not find any clippings and I'm listening it really loud... Please, share some more info..

priderock

#439 Post by priderock » 18 Nov 2019 22:36

Just made a new listening session on the vinyl player. First of all, I have to admit that I like more and more the album... I love it at the moment. I find more and more beautiful moments with each and every listening. This is the first time when I have troubles with picking a favourite song - they're all so different and perfect in their own way. Maybe Treason, or War Feeds War, or Pont of No Return, or Beyond the Wall.., In the Underworld.. Red Dwarf's Tower... pfff, the last time I felt this way was with A Night At The Opera... But back to the point - the album sounds perfect to me - yes, it's compressed a little bit, but it sounds perfect this way. The dynamics are also outstanding. It sounds like a production bigger than life... I said my only complaints in a post above, but they're minor... One more thing - B.G. are the biggest professionals in this game and I'm pretty sure that the album sounds the way they wanted to sound.

Nahar, back to your question - yes, I also feel like listening to a LOTR soundtrack... The feeling is totally there - especially in the first part of the album, including Point of no Return. After that, the story takes it in it's own way - both musically and lyrical, but before Nephilim I feel like listening to a different chapters from LOTR. And let me tell you something - this soundtrack is far better than the one in the movies... The Road is better.. In the Underworld is better, In the Red Dwarfs tower mystic sounds.., the march in Treason, the gigantic armies in Point Of No Return...It's just perfect...

Traveller in Time

#440 Post by Traveller in Time » 18 Nov 2019 23:49

Kuros wrote:
18 Nov 2019 14:26
Traveller in Time wrote:
well i have it via expensive heapdhones, too. But for example my car's speakers (which are really cheap) there is none. And i tried it on a Teac receiver with Phonar speakers, there is definitly less than on my headphones....
EDIT:
Second try on a Teufel sound system with Ultima 40 speakers. No clipping, just the bass needs to be turned down a bit -2db. And it was just from CD. :wink:

Nahar

#441 Post by Nahar » 24 Nov 2019 18:13

https://kiyimuzik.com/the-story-told-on ... -to-today/

Yet another nice interview

Hansi's been giving a lot of them lately. I think this one has more interesting stuff than the others I've heard...

Tablinan

#442 Post by Tablinan » 25 Nov 2019 20:57

I hoped they would go for a real lyrical direction into this one. Masterpieces like The Eldar or Age of False Innocence.

I just feel they went for a weird mix between really using the orchestra as the basis of the opus and mixing traditional BG's qualities. IMO Hansi could be much more touching and unforgettable if he went into a more intimate approach with the orchestra, without singing too many layers and choirs - Leave it to the Orchestral Choir, for God's sake.

I hoped the orchestral choir would be much more participant, but it lacks presence. Beyond The Wall has a wonderful soprano singing a line, but it is too little. Why not to really dive into vocal music, like Gesualdo or Freddie.

It would have been absolutely brilliant to have a more soloist one-voiced Hansi singing alongside the orchestra.

Hence the orchestra would embrace the music the way it deserves.

Why they don't have a PIANO on board? It is so important for orchestral music. And it would add variety.

I like The Eldar more than the whole album as of now.

And no composition comes even close to And Then There Was Silence. I was hoping for remarkable moments.

Still have to hear it better. But I feel a bit disappointed - it could have been deeper and more profound if they really embraced the full orchestra capabilities.
Blind my eyes and I still can see through the mist

priderock

#443 Post by priderock » 25 Nov 2019 22:33

I think I can agree with you about two things, Tablinan- the presence of the classical choirs and the piano.
Even that I'm not completely sure, since it might become boring to use only classical choirs - maybe it's even better to keep them for the most special moments - each song has it.., and there are a lot of them actually... As for the piano, I can completely agree with you, even that I'm not sure that there is a moment that really needs it. But it would be cool, yes!
All in all - I completely like the album and think it's perfect the way it is. At the same time, I like all that you said and think that for what you're saying they might need another compositions.., so let's hope for something like that in their second orchestral album :wink:
And one more think - yes, I'm also curious to hear even more operatic Hansi and hoped to hear it here..... but at the same time I trust them when they say that these vocals didn't work at the end that good and they had to find something in between.
At the end, the album is perfect and it's easily their best record ever...Anyway, you have a good point!

Avelar

#444 Post by Avelar » 26 Nov 2019 12:15

I didn't expect too much from this album because I think that masterpieces are usually created in short terms, on a wave of inspiration and concentration of energy. So I'm not disappointed with the album :) . Even more, I think it is an exceptional, beautiful, masterfully composed record.

When I first heard 'Point of No Return' I wasn't very impressed, but with more spins came appreciation and I started to really love this song. The same is with the whole album but to a greater degree.
After the first listen I wasn't sure if I will come back to it many more times, probably the problem was that I tried to approach it from the story point of view, I paid more attention to narrations and tried to get an integral idea of the album, and failed at it. The story didn't speak to me. I think it would be better if they didn't try to use the book with the music that was mostly composed before. It seems too artificial. If use book then go with a more epic, well known and renowned title. That would be more on par with this epic music. Hansi's own story concept would be better too.

Now I listen only to the version without interludes and it is much better, and still growing. Now I don't pay any attention to the story and just enjoy beautiful music and Hansi's vocals. Music is always a primary part of a record, I like to use imagination to create my own plot that accompany the music. This album is another confirmation of an extraordinary composer's talent of Andre. There isn't any song that I don't like, which continues the wonderful tradition from all previous albums :) . But there is also no an absolute highest point, all songs are great and roughly on the same level. I can't say that any song is weaker or stronger than another, only 'Point of No Return' stands out for me. If there was a song that would reach the heights of ATTWS then the album would be perfect. But for now ATTWS remains their highest point and will probably remain. 'Beyond the Wall' doesn't work as an epic album ending. It has a potential but ends too soon, not reaching a real climax.

Interestingly the album feels as BG album as their any other, continuation to BtRM, even though it lacks usual guitars and drums. I'm curious how they will continue.

I'm sure I will get much more from this album as I continue to listen to it. There are so many great moments to be discovered.
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.

Nahar

#445 Post by Nahar » 26 Nov 2019 14:53

A different sort of review:
https://youtu.be/IvWuBfYi2Vw

I guess he has some valid points.
I don't like how he claims to understand this stuff, making him an authority on that stuff, and I suspect he didn't listen enough (BG songs not being memorable after 2 listens in Not a bad thing...).

priderock

#446 Post by priderock » 26 Nov 2019 16:58

So, this guy knows everything about music and his opinion is the most accurate one, right??? At the same time we know a lot of other people who are in love with the classical music and they Love the project.. And he's making a judgment after 2 listenings(in the best way). I mean, whatever music B.G. have has ever done - it just does not hit you on the first place....That's it - don't know why, but that's the way it is. As for the music - it's something between a cinematic soundtrack and a musical, why does the people are not able to get it. It does not tried to copy the classical music, even that some of the pieces have this approach. As for Hansi's vocals - it sounds epic, it's not exactly metal, it's just epic.., don't try to classify it somewhere, it's Hansi and this guy has the most epic voice and this epic approach is even higher this time... As far as I know, even Bohemian Rhapsody was criticized back in the 70es.., for a lack of identity...
But usually, the most funny part is that these people like Nightwish for example.., I mean, seriously??!

Nahar

#447 Post by Nahar » 26 Nov 2019 17:16

I totally agree.

It seems like this guy likes to be on top of things. A Hammerfall fan apparently... Likes to feel he got everything. I think that's a self-deceptive approach, and will keep you bored and probably boring.

Nahar

#448 Post by Nahar » 26 Nov 2019 20:30

And another, nicer, one:
https://youtu.be/WZMxTNZINe8

Both of these are actually advertising themselves through these reviews.

priderock

#449 Post by priderock » 26 Nov 2019 21:26

Nice review! At least the guy has listened to the album 7 times... I still can't believe how deaf the previous guy was :lol:

Nahar

#450 Post by Nahar » 27 Nov 2019 14:03

Yeah...
The previous guy...
I was trying to understand him better, so I watched some more reviews and although he explains stuff quite clearly and seems decent, I felt deeply annoyed and just went back to LotDL.

I feel like I'm learning more about people than the music with all these reviews...