Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.

Which old song is "Harvester of Souls" ?

1. Battlefield
33%
2. Under the Ice
11%
3. Punishment Divine
11%
4. The Soulforged
11%
5. Otherland
No votes
6. Road Of No Release
No votes
7. The Prophecies
No votes
8. And the Story Ends
11%
9. Precious Jerusalem
No votes
10. The Script for My Requiem
No votes
11. Theatre of Pain
No votes
13. At The Edge Of Time
22%

Total votes: 9

priderock

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#301 Post by priderock » 07 Sep 2019 06:19

Ok, to be honest.., I couldn't resist listening to the song :oops:

Right now, a few things come to my mind.
First of all, this song contains their most majestic and gigantic chorus(if we can talk about chorus, since this is not exactly a song structure...). This part is probably bigger and more majestic than every choir moment I have heard in the classical music... All of this makes me curious to know, how far this album can get with the other songs :)
On the other hand, the song has some weird and not typical B.G. moments, but let's not forged that this is not a typical album, this a musical/opera as it seems...

Right now, I'm blown away... the moment "Find the key to be free.." is something magnificent as well and something that I really need, as someone wrote also above...
My last thought is once again: how far this album can go, if once again they kept the tradition to release a song as a "single" that contains just a little from the whole piece...??? :)

wade-newb

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#302 Post by wade-newb » 07 Sep 2019 09:56

I’ve listened to this song over and over since yesterday and it sounds completely different now than my first listen. Really loving it a lot.
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

Led Guardian

#303 Post by Led Guardian » 08 Sep 2019 04:18

priderock wrote:
07 Sep 2019 06:11
Led Guardian wrote:
07 Sep 2019 03:48
priderock wrote:
01 Sep 2019 12:00
"The single will be This Storm. It was composed during the "Nightfall in Middle-Earth" songwriting and was the first track composed for the orchestral album. Dark Cloud's Rising was the second song composed also during "Nightfall".It has a "Shire"(from LOTR)-mood. These informations are from "Deaf Forever", a Heavy Metal print magazine.The german press was invited to listen to the whole album already in the beginning of July." Just read that info :D

P.S. Also read which song does "Harvester of Souls" is.., but since it's a major spoiler, I'm not sure I want to write it just like that :D But, if it's true, than I'm more than happy since this is maybe my favourite B.G. song and here it will appear even bigger as it seems :twisted:
I'm curious to know as well, since I can't read the article.
You have a PM ;)
Thanks!
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

LLAG

#304 Post by LLAG » 09 Sep 2019 17:40

I have to admit that in the first listening to Point of no retorn I expected something different, more energetic, but after listening to it several times I find it delicious. The nuances in Hansi's voice are immeasurable!

priderock

#305 Post by priderock » 09 Sep 2019 17:40

So, after 3 days of listening to Point of No Return, I'm still blown away how big the chorus part is... Seriously, what source is this... I mean.., WOW, it' just ubelivable.. It's like thousands and thousands of voices.... I expected something big, but this is even heard to believe...

"... A new breeze.., a new dawn.., a new day..." part is also out of this world... All in all, I'm speechless at the moment...

Led Guardian

#306 Post by Led Guardian » 13 Sep 2019 05:11

I was actually underwhelmed by the song when I first listened to it. I liked it a bit better the second time, but it's still not blowing me away. It's got sort of the same problem as At the Edge of Time (the song), where every time there's an interesting melodic idea, it eventually wanders off into something more generic, like the idea was never quite finished. For example, the Point of No Return chorus, which is just big orchestra hits and choir. Meh. I really like some of the ideas and parts in this song (for example, the intro up to the "Ages" segment and bit after the first chorus, the "Come along" part), but it feels like the composition was sort of like "Here's a cool melody someone thought of, annnd then some other stuff happens in between *vague hand wavy-gestures*, and then here's another cool melody." Hansi's lyrics also don't seem to flow as well as they usually do in this song.

I dunno, maybe the fact that I listen to classical music some has given me the wrong expectations for what this album will be. Like, if I compare it to movements from things like Dvorak's New World Symphony, or Holst's The Planets, or Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain, there's not really any comparison. I mean, Andre and Hansi are not classical composers, so the album's bound to be more a fusion of classical orchestration and a more pop/metal/soundtrack compositional sensibility, but it's hard to listen to something with classical orchestration and not compare it to classical music.

Still, I'm looking forward to hearing the full album, and hopefully it will all grow on me.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

priderock

#307 Post by priderock » 13 Sep 2019 05:56

I know what you talk about, but the final chorus part is already bigger than any classical choral moment... Even Carmina burana or Ninth Wave are kinda small to this one :) This even raises my expectations in terms of gigantic and "unseen proportions" in this album, as the band stated Anyway, what you talk about comes to me in the final 10secs when the music starts to be really motivational. Hope this melody finds a true development in some of the next pieces. I also hope that the classical approach will be higher in the whole album.., at least that's how I imagined it during all this years. To me, Point of No Return is more like a musical with significantly big and epic classical choral part. It has this gigantic Lord of the Rings/Wagner feeling and a lot of deep emotions in it... Anyway, I still think that the rest of the album will be more classical. The final part of At The Edge Of Time(the song) already gave me really high expectations a few years ago.

But, right now, Point of No Return completely fills my expectations... It's gigantic, epic, full of emotions and bombastic as hell...It has everything in it

Traveller in Time

#308 Post by Traveller in Time » 14 Sep 2019 18:20

Led Guardian wrote:
13 Sep 2019 05:11
I was actually underwhelmed by the song when I first listened to it. I liked it a bit better the second time, but it's still not blowing me away. It's got sort of the same problem as At the Edge of Time (the song), where every time there's an interesting melodic idea, it eventually wanders off into something more generic, like the idea was never quite finished. For example, the Point of No Return chorus, which is just big orchestra hits and choir. Meh. I really like some of the ideas and parts in this song (for example, the intro up to the "Ages" segment and bit after the first chorus, the "Come along" part), but it feels like the composition was sort of like "Here's a cool melody someone thought of, annnd then some other stuff happens in between *vague hand wavy-gestures*, and then here's another cool melody." Hansi's lyrics also don't seem to flow as well as they usually do in this song.

I dunno, maybe the fact that I listen to classical music some has given me the wrong expectations for what this album will be. Like, if I compare it to movements from things like Dvorak's New World Symphony, or Holst's The Planets, or Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain, there's not really any comparison. I mean, Andre and Hansi are not classical composers, so the album's bound to be more a fusion of classical orchestration and a more pop/metal/soundtrack compositional sensibility, but it's hard to listen to something with classical orchestration and not compare it to classical music.

Still, I'm looking forward to hearing the full album, and hopefully it will all grow on me.
After first listening i felt like you. It was a bit disappointed at first, but i have to say it grows on me with every further listening. Some parts just fly by to the next climax. "While i head into the storm.." is my favourite part besides the explosion on "find the key to be free". But when it is right that this song is the closest to BG music then there are a lot more suprises to come. So really i can't complain and after several listenings i like it more and more, although there is some feeling left that it was not their top song where every note every detail was turned twice around to make it perfect in BG terms. Well expectations after 23 years are really high :wink:
In comparison to Children of the smith point of no return is a bit weaker. This one really blew me away especially Hansis singing.
For example:2:10 - 2:40
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

priderock

#309 Post by priderock » 14 Sep 2019 20:19

Point of no return to be weaker than Children of the Smith... This must be a joke... Children of The Smith is a good song, but can be easily be forgotten after a while - it's good, but there's nothing genius in it... Point of no Return on the other hand is gigantic piece of art.. Yes, it tooks a few listens, but after that, the size of it just can't leave your head... I'm amazed that someone can compare it with Children of The Smith :/

Traveller in Time

#310 Post by Traveller in Time » 14 Sep 2019 21:01

you are right it is not comparable, children of the smith had no 23 years in the making (composing wise), nor such a big orchestra or production, nor was it composed by BG, its purpose was a game soundtrack, not a lifetime work and contains e-guitars. None or less i prefer Hansis singing there more and somehow i have the feeling they speed up with the vocal recordings (like Led Guardian said that missing flow of lyrics) to get it done. just my 2cents.

Don't get me wrong it's a masterpiece but still there is a feeling that it is not that perfect song, you expected them to deliver. Again just my opinion. Maybe a temporarily mood or just overhyped ;-)

Traveller in Time

#311 Post by Traveller in Time » 24 Sep 2019 18:26

nice one:

Traveller in Time

#312 Post by Traveller in Time » 24 Sep 2019 18:28

Warmoth

#313 Post by Warmoth » 25 Sep 2019 18:00

Does anyone know exactly what this is?
https://www.nuclearblast.de/de/produkte ... ition.html

Looks like a double LP of the standard album, and the same thing as Instrumental only. Makes sense. But the "Audiobook version as LP"? Does that mean the Audiobook version of the album will actually have different audio? Maybe it's a collection of spoken interludes?

I'm getting ready to pre-order. It's looking like I will never order from NB US ever again. Why do they have so little on there? And the pricing is stupid. Even with overseas shipping NB DE is cheaper. The piece I linked seems like a great deal for instance.

Warmoth

#314 Post by Warmoth » 25 Sep 2019 18:39

Did anyone else notice at the end of the 2nd trailer, very quietly, the "At the Edge of Time" outro? Is this the new version of OLD song we've been teased about for so long? Or is it just the video outro music, unrelated to the choir that was singing? lol.

priderock

#315 Post by priderock » 25 Sep 2019 22:04

Warmoth wrote:
25 Sep 2019 18:39
Did anyone else notice at the end of the 2nd trailer, very quietly, the "At the Edge of Time" outro? Is this the new version of OLD song we've been teased about for so long? Or is it just the video outro music, unrelated to the choir that was singing? lol.
Yes, they spoiled it by themselves actually. The bigger question here is: are those choirs connected to it, or not. Btw, The choirs sound so amazing and elegic. Can't stop listening to those parts. Actually, we can also hear a bit of "Where do we go from here" part, which leads me to another question: are those moments recorded already in the end of 2013 when At the edge of time and Harvester of Souls were recorded? If so, then these choirs are probably from Harvester of Souls? :/ But I might be wrong, actually. The outro of At the Edge of Time sounds great with them, actually.

P.S. After these trailer, I can hear the classical approach I was expecting :twisted:

Nahar

#316 Post by Nahar » 02 Oct 2019 15:41

https://youtu.be/fzCR7bqM2Eg

So we get a few more fragments... Sounds good to me, but listened only once.

What do you think?
Anyone can translate important bits?..
"As darkness came it brought along silence.
Yet silence also bears madness.
Silence surrounds me - a deathly silence"...

JazzJackrabbit

#317 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 02 Oct 2019 16:19

Further confirmation that Harvester of Souls = At the Edge of Time.

Traveller in Time

#318 Post by Traveller in Time » 03 Oct 2019 22:03

one of the first reviews [german]:

https://www.metal.de/specials/blind-gua ... on-391357/

i can try to translate it, if wanted.

priderock

#319 Post by priderock » 03 Oct 2019 22:30

Traveller in Time wrote:
03 Oct 2019 22:03
one of the first reviews [german]:

https://www.metal.de/specials/blind-gua ... on-391357/

i can try to translate it, if wanted.
Of Courssseeeee :P Pleaseeee

Ryu

#320 Post by Ryu » 04 Oct 2019 09:01

https://youtu.be/9Wsa7AY87nE

This Storm has arrived.
Defiant of destiny

Nahar

#321 Post by Nahar » 04 Oct 2019 16:41

I love it!

Two songs already with an only twice repeated chorus.
Interesting change...

Feels like it's leaning towards being "a musical", but somehow in a good sense. BtRM had something of this approach, but this naturally has more of it.

Traveller in Time

#322 Post by Traveller in Time » 04 Oct 2019 17:45

..it is just a matter of tiiiime 8)

Traveller in Time

#323 Post by Traveller in Time » 04 Oct 2019 18:43

Well tried my best. I did only translate the interesting part. The first part is about arriving at the studio, getting offered some cake, things getting started... an introduction
[..]
And then there it is blowing massivly out of the stereo.
"1618 Overture":
cineatic to the fullest. Everything is in there, what BG is capable of and what they have learned since NIME. First goosebumps moments.
The following audio play interlude is beyond any doubt like all the other on the album.
"War feeds war" is the first "full" song. At the first a bit hard to handle, because the instruments of a rock/metal band are missing. Neverthless everything harmonizes with everything and Hansi's voice suits perfect to the arrangements of the orchestra.
"Dark clouds rising": a view far beyond their regular music, even some musical elements. Sounds strange but works perfect.
"In The Underworld" is like his name darker than the other songs and creates a threatening atmopshere. Well done."The Great Ordeal" is a track which is closest to a regular BG song (arrangement wise) and the first unremarkable song.
"In The Red Dwarf’s Tower" has typical BG hooklines, which seems better shaped for the song, together with a genius bridge with a great mix of emotional singing and Hansi's screaming. This kind of music can be close described as aggressive.
"Treason" is a song in which you realize that Hansi learned a lot from the collaboration with Arjen Lucassen. The music reminds on Ayreon. With drums and guitars this song would have fitted perfectly to NIME.
"Point of No return" is an absolute highlight of the album.
This epic track houses all BG trademarks, but is of course reduced musicwise and hosts a mighty choir.
"Nephilim" is dream-like. Hansi uses a lot of different voices, layering over each other. It has a demanding approach.
"Harvester of souls" scores with a slow/carried melody which is sung over hecic instrumental music. But even this song loses against its forerunner.
"This storm" gains again with the help of a typical BG refrain and develops into score music.
The final song "Beyond the wall" can be again named as highlight. because Hansi goes high and low with his voice, of which he is mostly not capable of at his major band. A reason might be that Hansi has not to deal with the heavyness of a rock band, Andre says in an interview. Another bonus, you get guitars in the end, although it is just accoustic ones.
The intensity reaches almost metal style.
All in all Andre and Hansi worked a really long time on that album and i personally was surprised that the other BG members were not involved. But the quality is very high and pays of the waiting time and shows that Hansi and Andre (once again) did everything right.[..]
Last edited by Traveller in Time on 04 Oct 2019 23:30, edited 2 times in total.

Nahar

#324 Post by Nahar » 04 Oct 2019 21:52

Thanks!
Some interesting things there.

So the rest of the band had no part at all in the final output?.. I thought they could at least vote on stuff... Interesting...

Anyway, I'm really hyped after getting a second song. Didn't expect that...

Traveller in Time

#325 Post by Traveller in Time » 04 Oct 2019 23:13

Translation by Andre's track by track preview (german Rock Hard):

War feeds war:
After "the storm" it was the second orchestral song which we have written during the NIME songwriting pocess around 1996 and 1997.
With this song we made the decisio not release these kind of tracks on the NIME album. Leaving out those two orchestral tracks meant that we we had to compose two other songs for the album. That is why it was a tough decision for us.

Dark Cloud's rising:
One of the early compositions. In these days we were still going for the Tolkien concept and Dark cloud's rising is highly inspirated by "The Hobbit".
This is how Hobbiton sounds for me. The track was evolved during the process and changed within the last years.

In The Underworld:
There i had the way to Sauron in mind, which leads through dark passages. You already could hear in the first version that we constantly improved with programming of the orchestration. For me this song out of 4 was my favourite, which ruled/killed them all.

The Great Ordeal:
This track was composed during ANATO songwriting process. At that time i was really into role-playing games and tried out to focus on fantasy topics and soundtracks.
There we started to leave Tolkien topics. The movies were already published and there was a big hype for this topic.
Before it was a thing for insiders, only nerds knew of.
We had the feeling that we have to get away from this theme, else we would have looked like copycats.

In The Red dwarf's tower:
It is one of my absolute favourites. I went too far with it.I wanted to break bonds and even breaking through the structures/barriers of an classic orchestration.
I left all the rules behind, i used rhythm instruments in a very experimental way and many sounds got distorted.
That is how i imagine a fantasy soundtrack. Hansi made it shine with adding an outstanding singing and singing rythm. That hit me really hard. This track is one of the most inovative ones on the album, anything like that has never been done before.

Treason:
I looked up some chapters of Lord of the rings for inspiration. With treason i tried to express in tones the slow- and heaviness of treebeard, whose inside hosts an enourmous force.
Again a song for nerds (laughter)

Point Of No return:
We were often disturbed during song writing process by touring.
It was difficult to continue and getting back to the feeling for composing after half a year.
Point of no return is one of these, which was untouched for years.
It was finished only two or three years ago, although first ideas came up in 2005. I got inspired from the atmopshere of a role playing game, in which i have been really into it these days.

Nephilim
Nephilim is a sad, tragic track, in which i wanted to express deep pain. In this part of the story, which inspired me, many important people had died.
That is why i tried to compose something dramatic dark.
The song but also has heroic moments.

Harvester of Souls

For me this track feels like your a sitting in a submarine and dive deep into the ocean.
This song seemed to be difficult. Hansi could not get along with it. But somehow he has found a way for his singing. The atmopshere first did not suit to fantasy topics, it sounded close to avantgard music.
Then we tried to transcript it into a rock song, which we both prefered. The song was then released on BTRM as "At The Edge of Time". Later Hansi and i listened to the orchestral version again, looked at each other and said:
"Well, it was not that fucked up".(laughs) We brought the idea back up, because its atmosphere fitted very well as part to our story.

This storm:

Like i said, this was the first song written and made the impact to start this project. if you are listening to this song, you understand why there was need to give birth to the idea for a whole album.

Beyond the Wall:
Hansi said during all those years that he needs a song that has an epic finish and shines above all. I started songwriting for this song 3 years ago, after i had rediscovered a 30seconds lasting harp track, which was meant to be an interlude.
This one i took as beginning for the track and continued from this spot and took everything which fitted. This is how the dynamic could be raised during the rest of the song.
I had already gained a lot of experience and i wanted to have a the end to be like a soundtrack. Beyond the wall is one of my favourites, which becomes very heavy in the second half. A the end we were this good that we could create some more pieces of that puzzle. This would never have been possible at the start of this project. Back then you had to take everything which came out of your mind.
In the end we had control of it.We knew how to use the tools for classic instrumentation so well, that we could precisely create a certain feeling.

EDIT: typos :roll:
Last edited by Traveller in Time on 05 Oct 2019 20:42, edited 1 time in total.

JazzJackrabbit

#326 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 05 Oct 2019 06:15

Nahar wrote:
04 Oct 2019 21:52
So the rest of the band had no part at all in the final output?.. I thought they could at least vote on stuff... Interesting...
They seem to be treating it as a separate band/side project. I noticed on Spotify the two singles are not listed under Blind Guardian. They're under Blind Guardian Twilight Orchestra.

priderock

#327 Post by priderock » 05 Oct 2019 13:16

Traveller in Time!!! Thank you very much :!: It seems that the biggest epics here will be In The Red Dwarf's Tower, Harvester of Souls and maybe their biggest opus - Beyond the Wall!!!

Dragonfly

#328 Post by Dragonfly » 05 Oct 2019 15:41

Now this track-by-track by Andre, so kindly translated by Traveller In Time (thank you my friend!) really does put things into perspective. Detailing each song's creative process, from the Nightfall sessions and up to recent years, broadens the scope of this legendary project even more. I feel like after this album Andre will grow so much as a songwriter in everyone's eyes! Needless to say, looking forward to giving this thing a spin!

Also I see now why "At The Edge Of Time" was titled "The Ocean" during the Beyond The Red Mirror writing process - Andre sees it as a soundtrack to a submarine descent.
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

Traveller in Time

#329 Post by Traveller in Time » 05 Oct 2019 20:38

priderock wrote:
05 Oct 2019 13:16
Traveller in Time!!! Thank you very much :!: It seems that the biggest epics here will be In The Red Dwarf's Tower, Harvester of Souls and maybe their biggest opus - Beyond the Wall!!!
thanks to all :oops:
Yeah it sounds really promising :D

priderock

#330 Post by priderock » 11 Oct 2019 07:55

Traveller in Time wrote:
05 Oct 2019 20:38
priderock wrote:
05 Oct 2019 13:16
thanks to all :oops:
Yeah it sounds really promising :D
Traveller, do you have the new "Hardline" magazine. If so, can you, please, write us the info in it? I'm sorry if I want too much, but you're like the only german native here :)
Thanks in addition, friend!

Traveller in Time

#331 Post by Traveller in Time » 11 Oct 2019 16:52

priderock wrote:
11 Oct 2019 07:55

Traveller, do you have the new "Hardline" magazine. If so, can you, please, write us the info in it? I'm sorry if I want too much, but you're like the only german native here :)
Not yet :oops: , but it is on my radar for this weekend ;-)

priderock

#332 Post by priderock » 11 Oct 2019 17:44

Traveller in Time wrote:
11 Oct 2019 16:52
priderock wrote:
11 Oct 2019 07:55

Not yet :oops: , but it is on my radar for this weekend ;-)
WOW! Great to hear that! :D

Traveller in Time

#333 Post by Traveller in Time » 12 Oct 2019 19:39

a pity i could not get it in shops around my town. But i ordered it online, but this means it will take till beginning of next week.
Last edited by Traveller in Time on 13 Oct 2019 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

priderock

#334 Post by priderock » 13 Oct 2019 14:06

Traveller in Time wrote:
12 Oct 2019 19:39
a pity i could not get it in shops aroóund my town. But i ordered it online, but this means it will take till beginning of next week.
Ok, thanks for the info! Don't worry, people here know how to wait :lol:

Traveller in Time

#335 Post by Traveller in Time » 14 Oct 2019 23:20

So here we go. First is to mention that only Andre was interviewed for the article in Hardline magazine.
I summarized it, all in all there is no essential new stuff about the orchestra album. the article just summarizes the facts we already know:

First he is describing how it started (during NIME songwriting), he got deeper into orchestration and wrote some songs which did not fit to the NIME stuff, but they already struggled with the time schedule for NIME, but somehow they managed to write some more orchestral songs and decided to make a whole album. He describes that they were quite naiv and did not yet know about the complexity of it, but all in all they kept the songs at hold and said that they would write new parts when they had time to. So with every spin of their regular 4 years circle (album-tour) they added one or two songs to this project. After they finished ANATO they had enough songs together for an album and showed them to Charlie Bauernfeind with the task to prove it and come up with ideas how to produce such an album. Charlie responed that it is a lot of hard work, becasue you just can not program such things, and that you need a real orchestra with sheet music for every instrument.
So Hansi and Andre started to form a team to realize the needed things. This was necessary because Andre has no knowledge about reading or writing music notes. Then Andre describes that he uses keyboards and sound libraries for songwriting and stores the ideas via sequencer. He listened to the diffrenet type of instruments and picked the ones he liked. That stratedgy meant that he made sound samples which could not played by real orchestra, but hat a flair they tried to maintain later with the orchestra recordings.
One mistake for example was that he wrote a song part played by violin too low (string is missing). But Matthias Ulmer (a studied composer) helped out and suggest it to let this party played by cellos.All the arrangements were done with Matthias Ulmer and Charlie B. He then describes the problems which were created during time, so for example they had a demo running on an Atari ST and later had to be rescripted to a modern system, and so on. So they had a lot of demos. But not only for the instruments, also Hansi's singing had several ones. He had 2 to 3 different lyrics for the songs (working lyrics), when the story was decided with Markus Heitz, Hansi had two different lyrics for each song and did pick the ones which felt best.
Andre speaks about songwriting itself, that he had the freedom of having not a straight songs structure like when writing rock songs ( verse, bridge, refrain, solo), so he was absolutely free to do what he wanted.
All in all he is satisfied that the project went slowly, because they spent a lot of money on it as well. Andre even says it is beyond the most expensive BG production ever, but they put so much soul and love in it that it was worth it. But without their former success and their own studio (they could work on it whenever they had time left) it would not have been possible. They only had to travel to prague for the orchestra recordings for this project, else not.
Further he speaks about delays like Bg activities or Hansi had to find the suitable time for recordings and so on.
Then he is talking about that they used the old speakers of NIME, because they first searched via agencies for suitable ones, but further the process went the more they came back to their former speakers. Because the music still has this Tolkien approach, but had to skip that topic because of maybe copyright issues and because of the success and popularity of the movies in general (they did not want to look like copycats). Then he describe show they got in contact with Markus Heitz and that a comic was made for the album as well, but the artist could not keep the deadline. But they might pick the stuff up for a later release.
Andre denies a orchestral tour, but says one or two events might be possible (big festival, single concert etc), but then they need additional singers to present it like a musical.
In the end they speak about the upcoming BG album: Andre used the time Hansi was buys with D&W and wrote most of the songs in raw condition. They plan to hit the studio next year to spend a year with producing the new album. So a 2021 release might be possible.

in short:
- most expensive BG production ever
- Matthias Ulmer and Charlie helped a lot with orchestration and arrangement
- Songwriting took until ANATO was done (adding 1 or two songs with every songwriting for regular BG albums)
- several demos for each songs, even many lyric versions
- comic of the story on hold, maybe a future release
- No live tour for this orchestra project, just one ort two special shows with additional guest singers (nothing planned so far)
- new regular BG album: start recording/producing next year. Maybe finsihed 2021

priderock

#336 Post by priderock » 15 Oct 2019 08:41

Thank you for the info, Traveller!!! Thanks to you, we - the non german members here - can also know everything that is published about this gigantic project! Thank you again!!! You're such a help :!: :!: :!:

wade-newb

#337 Post by wade-newb » 15 Oct 2019 13:45

Thank you so much for the info! It’s so interesting to hear about the process of this album.
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

JazzJackrabbit

#338 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 15 Oct 2019 15:52

Thanks, Traveller!

And we have a new video today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aWkdj-m5ng

Nahar

#339 Post by Nahar » 15 Oct 2019 16:06

JazzJackrabbit wrote:
15 Oct 2019 15:52
Thanks, Traveller!

And we have a new video today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aWkdj-m5ng
Very nice new glimpses!
Excited...
Less than a month!....

Guardian'86

#340 Post by Guardian'86 » 15 Oct 2019 19:59

Only 24 days left !!
It seems an eternity...but clearly are few weeks.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
the review done by Andrè excited my mind which now it's full of imaginations...can't wait !!!!! no words to add at the moment...he said everything !!! Hail to Blind Guardian!!

Traveller in Time

#341 Post by Traveller in Time » 15 Oct 2019 20:31

:oops: Glad to be of service.
The video is great. The ballad in the end sounds great :D

"Fuck nochmal" or was the first "Fangt nochmal an?" (start over again) :mrgreen:

priderock

#342 Post by priderock » 18 Oct 2019 09:20

Exactly 3 weeks, guys, till The Day of the Days! Most probably, in the next 2 weeks we're about to get Trailer 4 and Trailer 5 and on the 3rd week - The Grand Finale :)
To be honest, can't believe...

P.S. Some interesting info from a spanish interview with Andre:

- First advance was "Point Of No Return" and then you uploaded a video with lyrics of "This Storm". Tell me about both, please.

André.- "Point Of No Return" I would say that it is a bit different from the rest of the songs on the album because it is more based on the rhythm. It has a great epic chorus, which we like very much. The fact is that we thought that since the subject did not have that great epic and complex approach that the rest of the themes have, it would be a great introduction to put people on the disc. That they could easily enter the world of this orchestral music. And I think it worked very well with most of our fans.

The second theme, "This Storm", has a more epic approach, I would say that it is the real thing. People have loved this theme, and I think that shows that they are going to be very surprised with the whole album.

- Choose several themes, whatever you want, and tell me details about them especially at the musical level, the most prominent in your opinion. I would love you to give us detailed descriptions and talk about various songs.

André.- For me the topic that has been the biggest challenge has been the last one, "Beyond The Wall". The story was that when we had almost all the songs finished, Hansi told me that we needed a great ending for the album. He insisted that it was missing, there was no great ending, no song was appropriate to be the grand finale. So I tried to compose a theme with everything I had learned over the years, starting with something slow and from there building something that would grow and reach a great climax at the end. And I could do it, I managed to compose something that I had been asked for, and that has been my biggest challenge on this album. I think I succeeded because I managed to get that great ending and Hansi was very happy with the subject.

Everyone has said that it is the perfect ending to the album, so I think I have done a good job as a composer. I am glad to have learned so much over the years to have been able to do this.

- The cover of Gyula Havancsák is very good. Tell me about her.

André.- We had the basic idea for this cover for some years. We were supposed to use it in "Beyond The Red Mirror", but we delivered it too late and it ended up in our archives. When we were looking for a cover for the orchestral record Hansi came across that one and it fit the story perfectly. We talked to Gyula and asked him if he could continue with that design, expand it, because we only had that main character. We suggest you connect it more with the story and make a bigger design. He accepted and has made a truly incredible design. Even for the singles he has made tremendous designs. I think it's the best cover we've had in a long time.

Sorry for the bad translation, but I made it automatically via Google Translate :oops:

Nahar

#343 Post by Nahar » 20 Oct 2019 09:40

priderock wrote:
18 Oct 2019 09:20
Exactly 3 weeks, guys, till The Day of the Days! Most probably, in the next 2 weeks we're about to get Trailer 4 and Trailer 5 and on the 3rd week - The Grand Finale :)
To be honest, can't believe...

P.S. Some interesting info from a spanish interview with Andre:

- First advance was "Point Of No Return" and then you uploaded a video with lyrics of "This Storm". Tell me about both, please.

André.- "Point Of No Return" I would say that it is a bit different from the rest of the songs on the album because it is more based on the rhythm. It has a great epic chorus, which we like very much. The fact is that we thought that since the subject did not have that great epic and complex approach that the rest of the themes have, it would be a great introduction to put people on the disc. That they could easily enter the world of this orchestral music. And I think it worked very well with most of our fans.

The second theme, "This Storm", has a more epic approach, I would say that it is the real thing. People have loved this theme, and I think that shows that they are going to be very surprised with the whole album.

- Choose several themes, whatever you want, and tell me details about them especially at the musical level, the most prominent in your opinion. I would love you to give us detailed descriptions and talk about various songs.

André.- For me the topic that has been the biggest challenge has been the last one, "Beyond The Wall". The story was that when we had almost all the songs finished, Hansi told me that we needed a great ending for the album. He insisted that it was missing, there was no great ending, no song was appropriate to be the grand finale. So I tried to compose a theme with everything I had learned over the years, starting with something slow and from there building something that would grow and reach a great climax at the end. And I could do it, I managed to compose something that I had been asked for, and that has been my biggest challenge on this album. I think I succeeded because I managed to get that great ending and Hansi was very happy with the subject.

Everyone has said that it is the perfect ending to the album, so I think I have done a good job as a composer. I am glad to have learned so much over the years to have been able to do this.

- The cover of Gyula Havancsák is very good. Tell me about her.

André.- We had the basic idea for this cover for some years. We were supposed to use it in "Beyond The Red Mirror", but we delivered it too late and it ended up in our archives. When we were looking for a cover for the orchestral record Hansi came across that one and it fit the story perfectly. We talked to Gyula and asked him if he could continue with that design, expand it, because we only had that main character. We suggest you connect it more with the story and make a bigger design. He accepted and has made a truly incredible design. Even for the singles he has made tremendous designs. I think it's the best cover we've had in a long time.

Sorry for the bad translation, but I made it automatically via Google Translate :oops:
Thanks!
Really anticipating "Beyond The Wall" now (and the whole album with it).
Always nice to hear from André :)

Traveller in Time

#344 Post by Traveller in Time » 23 Oct 2019 23:39

In the newest Rock Hard is an Interview with Hansi about their orchestra project.
I tried to sum it up:

He tells about the process and the idea of the album which is similiar to Andre's text above: He came one day with some song arrangements made via keyboard an computer using song libraries, which he thought did not suit to their regular band music. Hansi recognized this Tolkien vibe in it. First song was "the storm" which had the title "Gondor". Hansi had several ideas coming up and made even Rheingold related lyrics. It all sounded a bit like "The Wall" of Pink Floyd performance wise.
But Andre did prefer his Tolkien related version. 2004 they were finished with 8 arrangements. Unti now all songs were further developed like "Point of no return" which was half done and finished two or three years before.
Then he describes their time problem and all needed more time then expected, like writing down the notes for the instruments and searching for right people and an orchestra.

About typical BG elements:
Andre can easily work on orchester arrangements, because he creates his guitar notes via orchestration, he started doing that since Theater of Pain. Andre likes to try things out and tries to break boundaries, sometimes harming others with it- For example he uses a mibra or a vibrofon as guideline. But there are 80 people playing their instruments heavily, so no chance for the vibrofon. Most of classic lovers would say: "oh well, this annoying tone of the vibrofon ruins everything" But Andre insists so there have to be found ways to solve this. Triangels are a topic for itself. Andre likes small chasing instruments playing a big role.But this is also the allure and some reference to BG music.

Production:
Extremly demanding, because Hansi was also working on D&W album. [Here some direct speech translated:] The singing was difficult, because the orchestra is like a living organic creature, having it's own dynamic. The muscians are playing live together in a room, so even if you use 120 microphones the spatial sound is always there.
On every track of violin is for example a trumpet and vice versa. It is a living person which literally ate me (Hansi) during performances.I am used to sing against a sound wall of guitars, but there it is more easier due to the technical possibilities. In a metal production everything is artificial, becasue every instrument is recorded for itself. So you never get the feeling that the singing can become a disturbing element. I had to to adapt the "moving waves" the orchestra made. it is always swimming. In Todays music buisness everything is staight to a grid and precise as possible, but you can not do it with an orchestra and you don't want it to be like that. For myself it is as absurd in production like for an opera liking person my singing style. It was an heavy eveleoping process. [end of direct speech trnaslation].
He tells that there were 3 versions which were ready for production of Hansi's singing. They tried out a lot with filters and so on. They started with the softest version which suited the playing of the orchestra. But it had "no balls".
So they had to find a way in between all this. Also some parts were played by the orchestra more soft or heavy than it was meant to be, all in all a diccicult and demanding process. And during this process they already had two to three new song arrangements, which they put on hold and did not use it for the upcoming album. Until now there are 4 songs ready for a future orchestra album (Hansi asks what does this mean :-) )
(interviewer laughs as well and answers: maybe it does not take 15 years again..) Hansi responds that he learned a lot and that he often sweared during production.

About bringing it on stage:
They thought about and discussed about it. But it is on hold for now, becasue the production was time demanding. So far they want to book a venue for a couple of days. But not before 2021. It is even unknown if the band will take part with some classics for encore. Maybe it is just The Blind Guardian Twilight hall orchestra playing on 3 evenings. Hansi also says there would be need of additional gust singers, because he can't handle it all alone.

About if Frederik and Marcus were disappointed not to be part of this project:
They were totally fine with it and theey had not much isnight besides the discussion when they were not sure about using the songs for a regular BG album or not. But most of the production was made with the songwriting with a regular BG album alongside. Only the last two or three years it got a bit difficult, because the project got so demanding. But they made a big progress in songwriting for a regular BG which can be recorded 2020 and maybe released 2021. He also says that Frederik and Marcus were involved in D&W, so they had something to do and that they are both not only great muscians but also nice people, with a lot of creativity and both burn for music.

About song structure fitting not in the regular verse-refrain pattern:
Hansi says that came all naturally by coincidence. They kept with the so called flow, which can annyo some people that the song progresses and is not coming back to a certain point of the music, which they liked.
But they really liked the linear development of their ideas for the songs. There is a lot to happen that they repeat a part of a song. "War feeds war" has something like a chorus, but it appears only a single time, so you really can not call it a refrain.

About bombast not killing everything like on many other metal productions:
On the streaming and CD version they paid tribute to state of the art production. Streaming: everything needs to be louder, else it won't work on playlist. But they tried to keep as much dynamic as possible in it, but also kept up to modern mastering requirements. Hansi did disliked it and for they vinyl version they went analog to keep as much dynamic as possible. Hansi says that you don't want to play with an orchestra if you compress it in the end.
But he says he is satisfied with the outcome even for the digital versions. They spent a lot of time and there were many point of views about this topic. He also says that you also had to get used to dynamic music again, but in the end they achieved what they had dreamed about. He once did play the vinyl for some friends and turned up the volume because of the low parts but then the orchestra set in and blew their ears off. After half an hour he was deaf.
During production he had some similiar experience and once Charlie told him that some metal muscicians had killed their hearing by classic music. He said he was lucky but when listening to "In The Underworld" via his high end car audio system and cracked it up to max volume, he suffered 3 days of Tinnitus.
Nowadays you have to get used to this volume differences again, he mentions and gives an advise in the end:
Do not turn up the volume already at the beginning of the first low parts, wait for the imposing ones.

In Short:
- Heavy demanding production
- The storm was named Gondor in the very beginning
- Andre works with orchestrations for his guitar parts at songwriting since Theatre of pain
- there are already 4 arrangements ready for a future orchestra album
- regular BG album, maybe 2021
- bringing it to the stage: maybe at 3 evenings, nothing scheduled so far, maybe with band as encore
- vinyl mastering got more dynamics than CD and digital mastering, but all sound great
- mostly linear songs with seldom using refrains.

I was really suprised by the different mastering for the vinyl version- Now i really have to look for a vinyl player as well :-) And that they got already 4 song arrangements done (ok once hansi said that they already have stuff for a second one).
Mostly no refrains is not surprising although with Point of no return they picked a song as single which breaks the rule here, an exception you can say.
Soon we will know :D

Traveller in Time

#345 Post by Traveller in Time » 23 Oct 2019 23:41

ah and the story is revealed, but i don't want to spoil it here. And btw the english version of the prequel got released today as Ebook.

Guardian'86

#346 Post by Guardian'86 » 24 Oct 2019 12:59

Update with a pretty cool interview with Hansi...about the upcoming orchestral album, the progress of the next regular studio album, demons & wizards....

https://www.themetalvoice.com/single-po ... 8MpVMHW23k

priderock

#347 Post by priderock » 24 Oct 2019 13:40

1 Million Euros :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Great info, guys!!! Thank you very much for sharing it!!!!! :) :) :) :)

P.S. a little review about the first half of the songs from the net. Once again translated via Google, but it works :D

The dark power - BLIND GUARDIAN TWILLIGHT ORCHESTRA
It begins classically with the "1618 Ouverture". A worthy reception, as it turns out later. Small spoken-word passages take the listener on a journey that is reminiscent of the great masters of classical music. Of course always with the BLIND GUARDIAN-typical vocals and style.

"War Feeds War" is an opulent work that has brought Hansi safely to its limits. So powerful and expressive you have rarely heard this exceptional artist. The epic musical background creates a whole universe of new sounds. Ruhiger launches "Dark Cloud's Rising" with string sounds before the chorus unleashes and reveals a new facet of the musical class of the Metal veterans. You feel like you are part of an incredibly large production. So strong do the tracks pull the listener into the action.

"In The Underworld" plays with different tempos and moods. Hansi delivers a brilliant performance, which shows the frontman in a previously unknown form. Is this really BLIND GUARDIAN 2019 or did you find lost works by Smetana and Wagner? One sonic explosion follows the next. While the timpani are still reverberating, they are refilled directly with "The Great Ordeal". A lightheaded number that instantly settles in the ear canals and manifests the desire to experience this album live.

More than seven minutes is "In The Red Dwarf's Tower". This epic scores with its tonal variety, which one looks in vain for metal / classical crossover releases. To call a song a highlight here is more than difficult. But choosing to release "Point Of No Return" as a single in advance was right. The melody is carried. Hansi always creates a counterweight to the music with his voice. That makes this track unmistakable. It can definitely be counted among the strongest works of the legendary band. How the adventures end, every listener should find out for themselves, but so much is betrayed: There is plenty of bombast, epic sounds and Hansi's voice in a never-familiar voice on you.

Good things take a while - "Legacy Of The Dark Lands"
Together with the 90-member Prague Filmharmonic Orchestra, BLIND GUARDIAN have created a massive masterpiece in the Rudolfinum in Prague that sets new standards. Whether the magic of Prague has affected this production, is not known, but it is very obvious. In "Legacy Of The Dark Lands", all releases that want to unite metal and classical music will have to be judged in the future. There's nothing more that can not be done.

Traveller in Time

#348 Post by Traveller in Time » 24 Oct 2019 19:56

This interview is one of the best we had for a while :D
Thanks.

Dragonfly

#349 Post by Dragonfly » 24 Oct 2019 22:08

Traveller is killing it as always! Vielen Dank! :)
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

priderock

#350 Post by priderock » 25 Oct 2019 07:22

Just read about the story, too! It sounds Apocalyptic :twisted: