A mistake in "At the edge of time"?

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Warmoth

A mistake in "At the edge of time"?

#1 Post by Warmoth » 07 Feb 2015 05:58

Is there a horrible mistake in "At the Edge of time" the song. 5:18 when he says "See, It's the whole world that I once condemned"
It sounds like a mashup of previous vocal takes maybe? Something sounds totally wierd here. Is it just me??

blindgfan

Re: A mistake in "At the edge of time"?

#2 Post by blindgfan » 07 Feb 2015 06:17

Warmoth wrote:Is there a horrible mistake in "At the Edge of time" the song. 5:18 when he says "See, It's the whole world that I once condemned"
It sounds like a mashup of previous vocal takes maybe? Something sounds totally wierd here. Is it just me??
Yep, I noticed that too. It messes up the line after it. I thought it was only my problem. But even the official stream on youtube sounds like that. What can we do? Total recall?

priderock

#3 Post by priderock » 07 Feb 2015 07:57

I cannot find anything weird..:I think that's the way the vocal line is supposed to be and I like it.

OmegaSlayer

#4 Post by OmegaSlayer » 07 Feb 2015 12:23

Maybe it's the lyrics in the booklet being wrong, it happens more often than we remember :wink:

blindgfan

#5 Post by blindgfan » 07 Feb 2015 15:41

OmegaSlayer wrote:Maybe it's the lyrics in the booklet being wrong, it happens more often than we remember :wink:
No, the lyrics actually match. But it looks like the layering trick gone wrong. Maybe next time they will take example from Ensiferum and record everything live. )

ErHaO

#6 Post by ErHaO » 07 Feb 2015 18:18

blindgfan wrote:
OmegaSlayer wrote:Maybe it's the lyrics in the booklet being wrong, it happens more often than we remember :wink:
No, the lyrics actually match. But it looks like the layering trick gone wrong. Maybe next time they will take example from Ensiferum and record everything live. )
Ensiferum does that? And when did they start this? The "clean" vocals on Unsung Heroes were absolute shit, so maybe that explains it for me. Last Breath for example, that is simply not acceptable for a studio release at points imo, they sound like complete amateurs there.

They still make some killer tunes (and I am looking forward to One Man Army and like the track), but I wish they did the clean and "choral" stuff more tastefully in concordance with their limits. Because a singer attempting notes he cannot hit often irks me a lot, especially on studio recordings.

priderock

#7 Post by priderock » 07 Feb 2015 18:20

Still cannot find anything wrong :? Maybe just a difference in the lyrics, as OmegaSlayer said...but nothing else. As it's still not a 40 secs beep...it's OK :mrgreen: :wink:

Gandalf de Grijze

#8 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 07 Feb 2015 19:05

I can hear what you guys mean, but really... is such a small thing worth making a fuzz about?
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Warmoth

#9 Post by Warmoth » 07 Feb 2015 19:31

Not a huge deal, no. I really wanted to make sure it wasn't just my copy. In no way could this effect my opinion of the song - I love it.

It sounds like it was crossfaded, no clicks or pops, you can't really tell there's anything off unless you're listening closely. And perhaps they intended it to be this way.

But yeah, If it is an error that sucks, Charlie can't catch a break. I like his work. I don't envy his monumental task of working on a Blind Guardian album

GuardianKnight

#10 Post by GuardianKnight » 07 Feb 2015 23:08

Warmoth wrote:But yeah, If it is an error that sucks, Charlie can't catch a break. I like his work. I don't envy his monumental task of working on a Blind Guardian album
I imagine it goes something like this...

BG: Hey Charlie, want to do audio production on our album where people who know nothing about audio production will crap all of your work and reputation for days on end no matter what you do or what we think of it or how good it actually is?

Charlie: Sure.

BG: Thanks!

starschwar

#11 Post by starschwar » 07 Feb 2015 23:18

I don't notice the anomaly. I have the Earbook CD version, and am listening on a 5.1 setup in Pro Logic II Music mode. Perhaps the increased sound separation on my setup is responsible, but there's no obvious edit or what have you when I listen.

Warmoth

#12 Post by Warmoth » 08 Feb 2015 00:50

GuardianKnight wrote: I imagine it goes something like this...

BG: Hey Charlie, want to do audio production on our album where people who know nothing about audio production will crap all of your work and reputation for days on end no matter what you do or what we think of it or how good it actually is?

Charlie: Sure.

BG: Thanks!
LMAO for sure.

When the single came out suddenly everyone was an audio engineer. "Production this, production that" Some people saying it was literally unlistenable....really?...really? Are they listening on a potato? These people clearly have not studied the ancient art of Trve Kvlt black metal. :twisted: :lol:

Led Guardian

#13 Post by Led Guardian » 08 Feb 2015 03:38

I mean, I hear it, but only because I was actively trying to find it. It's no beep. :P

It doesn't sound like a huge deal to me.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

blindgfan

#14 Post by blindgfan » 10 Feb 2015 17:52

Among errors on other songs: "Promised Land" sounded like "Promised End", and "Don't be upset" like "Don't be obsessed". Makes sense though...

OmegaSlayer

#15 Post by OmegaSlayer » 10 Feb 2015 20:27

Warmoth wrote:
LMAO for sure.

When the single came out suddenly everyone was an audio engineer. "Production this, production that" Some people saying it was literally unlistenable....really?...really? Are they listening on a potato? These people clearly have not studied the ancient art of Trve Kvlt black metal. :twisted: :lol:
Production blabber in Black Metal is a farse.
In the early 90s the black metal bands recorded their albums on 4 or 8 tracks, then when they had the money they started to sound different.
It was a matter of money more than everything, not only attitude.
Still...that is a peculiar sound that was forged which I love but has limited sense.

As for BG a sound that is muddy doesn't make the album better, just kills it instead.
And it is indeed muddy.
Charlie's fault, BG's decision?
Late and useless to debate, but the album doesn't sound in the best way to enrich the musical textures that were created for it.

Gandalf de Grijze

#16 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 11 Feb 2015 01:07

blindgfan wrote:Among errors on other songs: "Promised Land" sounded like "Promised End", and "Don't be upset" like "Don't be obsessed". Makes sense though...
how about "red door" always being pronounced as "raptor"
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands

Freak666

#17 Post by Freak666 » 11 Feb 2015 10:01

Truly a shame this album! Little mistakes and faults have been a trademark for BG albums in the past!

But face it:

No beeps ("Under the ice")
No pronunciation mistakes ("Legacy" in "War of thrones", "Iron" in "Battlefield")
No high frequency sounds ("Curse my name")
No brass farts ("Wheel of time")
No contentwise mistakes like mixing up gnomes and dwarves ("Lord of the rings")

This album is simply perfect!!

priderock

#18 Post by priderock » 11 Feb 2015 10:13

Freak666 wrote:Truly a shame this album! Little mistakes and faults have been a trademark for BG albums in the past!

But face it:

No pronunciation mistakes ("Legacy" in "War of thrones", "Iron" in "Battlefield")

The beep in Under The Ice has always been a mystic for me, even that this is one of my all time favourite BG songs.., at least we have a perfect remixed version :)
But, yeah, you're right for BTRM! It's perfect! As for ATEOT(the album), I really hope we'll get a Remastered version soon... This was one of my questions on the "discussion" before a few days, but unfortunately they didn't reached it...

blind-man

#19 Post by blind-man » 11 Feb 2015 14:36

priderock wrote:As for ATEOT(the album), I really hope we'll get a Remastered version soon.
What are you talking about? I think ATEOT is the best sounding record BG's ever released.
Orodaran wrote:I don't need to look metal in my looks because I am metal in my heart 8)

priderock

#20 Post by priderock » 11 Feb 2015 15:11

blind-man wrote:
priderock wrote:As for ATEOT(the album), I really hope we'll get a Remastered version soon.
What are you talking about? I think ATEOT is the best sounding record BG's ever released.
Yeah, it sounds great..that's why I don't want a Remixed one...I think that the sound is just a little lower compared to ATGTSAT and I want a version without the "bonus" on Curse My Name ... and maybe the brass on WOT :wink:
I would never wanted the best for this album if it wasn't so great and important for me ;)

Freak666

#21 Post by Freak666 » 11 Feb 2015 17:44

Maybe good news in this case:

Hansi mentioned in a Rock Hard interview that releasing the "Traveller's guide..." Versions as single outputs is considered as an option actually.
At least so I will get the chance to get my hands on ANATO

priderock

#22 Post by priderock » 11 Feb 2015 18:34

Freak666 wrote:Maybe good news in this case:

Hansi mentioned in a Rock Hard interview that releasing the "Traveller's guide..." Versions as single outputs is considered as an option actually.
At least so I will get the chance to get my hands on ANATO
And hope ATITM will be finally remixed...
Anyway, thanks for the info ;)

blindgfan

#23 Post by blindgfan » 11 Feb 2015 18:44

blindgfan wrote:Among errors on other songs: "Promised Land" sounded like "Promised End", and "Don't be upset" like "Don't be obsessed". Makes sense though...

It is in fact "promised end". So, never mind about that part.

Led Guardian

#24 Post by Led Guardian » 13 Feb 2015 08:13

priderock wrote:The beep in Under The Ice has always been a mystic for me, even that this is one of my all time favourite BG songs.., at least we have a perfect remixed version :)
:o I actually love the Under the Ice beep. As in, I legitimately like it. I think it adds a touch of extra flavor to the chorus musically. I wouldn't want it removed. :(
Gandalf de Grijze wrote:how about "red door" always being pronounced as "raptor"
I always hear "rector." Which almost sort of makes sense.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Dragonfly

#25 Post by Dragonfly » 18 Feb 2015 20:39

Hey, I've found another pronunciation mistake, this time in 'Ashes Of Eternity':

Now
Raise the flag
The war seems over
And BOW your head
At dawn they shall be murdered

Hansi pronounces the word BOW as if it was a noun, not a verb: [bəʊ] instead of [baʊ]. Not as obvious as the one in 'War Of The Thrones', I guess.
Last edited by Dragonfly on 18 Feb 2015 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

residentour

#26 Post by residentour » 18 Feb 2015 21:46

What do you mean with that?
I think that the sound is just a little lower compared to ATGTSAT
Higher volume produces high clipping so if an album is lower in volume it is better that way. And "ATGTSAT" has the worst sound engineering by far in a metal album I have ever listened to.

priderock

#27 Post by priderock » 21 Feb 2015 10:21

As for WOT, I'm talking about the sound in 7:35sec for example.., there a lot more, especially at the end of the song..still not sure is that a mistake or they wanted it this way, which have to mean that it's some brass :? It's not sounding bad, for sure, but I'm curious was it supposed to be this way?
As for ATGTSAT...you must be joking, but seriously I'dont care...I realized that the production in many cases is not a constant thing...it's nice for some, for others not... ;) To me ATEOT(if there wasn't the things I said above), MOATTC, ATGTSAT and BTRM are their best, but I know that some fans wouldn't agree...
Anyway..Cheers :)

residentour

#28 Post by residentour » 21 Feb 2015 14:40

As for WOT, I'm talking about the sound in 7:35sec for example.., there a lot more, especially at the end of the song..still not sure is that a mistake or they wanted it this way, which have to mean that it's some brass :? It's not sounding bad, for sure, but I'm curious was it supposed to be this way?
"Tuba" and "Cimbasso" are the instruments which should sound like fart. If you rule out some brass from stereo field you will get duller orchestration.
As for ATGTSAT...you must be joking, but seriously I'dont care...I realized that the production in many cases is not a constant thing...it's nice for some, for others not... ;) To me ATEOT(if there wasn't the things I said above), MOATTC, ATGTSAT and BTRM are their best,
Scientifically ATGTSAT and MOATTC are the worst in production in every aspect. If you are in to sound engineering you should realize that in seconds. Almost half of the elements are lost.
I advice listening to the original Vinyls on a decent monitor or even CDs via 120dB DAC interface.

priderock

#29 Post by priderock » 21 Feb 2015 15:00

Ok, thanks for explaining the brass ;)
As for the productions, I think I know what you mean saying that the "the half elements are lost", but compared to the original versions we've got very clear and shining vocals with this ones, and I personally prefer it this way :?

residentour

#30 Post by residentour » 21 Feb 2015 15:25

priderock wrote:Ok, thanks for explaining the brass ;)
we've got very clear and shining vocals with this ones, and I personally prefer it this way :?
Infact the vocals on that 2 albums are over emphasized to more bright tone which causes artifacts and essing also lost on lower frequency elements after filtering.
If you add an effect or filter to a source you will lose information out of it. What you may see as an easy to hear/notice is the reason of an over done processing on source.
Forexample if you add a sharpen filter to a picture you won't get a real sharp result instead you modify/thicken/black edges and washed out the nearby region of that edges.
Just by looking at this pic the source of the upper side is normal, but after a sharpen filter it currupts the natural look of it as seen the bottom side.
And this is just a basic sharpen. With anything more intense the source will be gone :

An overemphasized picture sample. You may say it is easy to see from a distant look ; But is this a normal, quality, decent photo? Of course not, far from it. Natural Colors are gone, most of the
colors cannot be seen after. The faces have ridiculous amount of black like they are covered with coal :) .
Every senses on human nature works similar. One thing should be balanced to be called quality. A more salty food than normal isn't better. You may say is it easy to detect some tastes at first
but then the food is already gone bad.
Same thing goes for any sound processing. Brighter vocals will interfere with cymbals, lower vocal freqs will be lost forever. This is why most of the remastered albums are bad.

Infernal Lord

#31 Post by Infernal Lord » 22 Feb 2015 19:23

Gandalf de Grijze wrote: how about "red door" always being pronounced as "raptor"
Ha! Weird. When I was listening to Prophecies with the missus soon after the album's release she asked (at the "There's a red, there's a red, there's a red door..." part) "Is he singing about a dinosaur here? It sounds like 'raptor'..."

I never heard it personally, but that's really strange...!
The Nine sing
Once upon a dream ago
We're the ones you've left alone

Dragonfly

#32 Post by Dragonfly » 22 Feb 2015 20:44

Infernal Lord wrote:
Gandalf de Grijze wrote: how about "red door" always being pronounced as "raptor"
Ha! Weird. When I was listening to Prophecies with the missus soon after the album's release she asked (at the "There's a red, there's a red, there's a red door..." part) "Is he singing about a dinosaur here? It sounds like 'raptor'..."

I never heard it personally, but that's really strange...!
RAPTOOOR TO DISCOOOORDIA!!!

priderock

#33 Post by priderock » 22 Feb 2015 21:32

Break the seal, find the raptor..
There's a rap, there's a rap...there's raptoooor
Break the seal, find the raptoooor

nyobit

#34 Post by nyobit » 22 Feb 2015 23:39

This confirms it - Hansi plays WoW.

blind-man

#35 Post by blind-man » 23 Feb 2015 18:40

How dare this German singer not have a perfect English pronunciation!? :)

Come on guys, it's not that bad. There are much worse cases out there (I'm looking at you Fabio Lione!).
Orodaran wrote:I don't need to look metal in my looks because I am metal in my heart 8)

Dragonfly

#36 Post by Dragonfly » 23 Feb 2015 18:44

blind-man wrote:How dare this German singer not have a perfect English pronunciation!? :)

Come on guys, it's not that bad. There are much worse cases out there (I'm looking at you Fabio Lione!).
No offence intended. I actually like Hansi's accent very much, it's part of his vocal charm for me.

priderock

#37 Post by priderock » 23 Feb 2015 19:10

I like it too, I was just kidding with the raptor :)

Gandalf de Grijze

#38 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 24 Feb 2015 01:29

blind-man wrote:How dare this German singer not have a perfect English pronunciation!? :)

considering that the /d/ is pronounced the same in german and in english... this is one thing he could pronounce perfectly... In fact, while singing his german accent is hardly there at all.

However, I'm fairly certain that the next time I hear Paint It Black I'll probably be hearing raptor as well (once heard it cannot be unheard) ;)

(do agree on fabio, his accent is horrible!)

blindgfan

#39 Post by blindgfan » 24 Feb 2015 04:55

ErHaO wrote:
blindgfan wrote:
Ensiferum does that? And when did they start this? The "clean" vocals on Unsung Heroes were absolute shit, so maybe that explains it for me. Last Breath for example, that is simply not acceptable for a studio release at points imo, they sound like complete amateurs there.

They still make some killer tunes (and I am looking forward to One Man Army and like the track), but I wish they did the clean and "choral" stuff more tastefully in concordance with their limits. Because a singer attempting notes he cannot hit often irks me a lot, especially on studio recordings.

They did it live only on the new album for the first time.

blind-man

#40 Post by blind-man » 26 Feb 2015 17:29

Damn you guys! Now I can't listen to Prophecies without thinking of fucking raptors! :lol:

priderock

#41 Post by priderock » 26 Feb 2015 18:01

"Will we ever see the "Rap" again?!!!" :lol:

T3hOverlord

#42 Post by T3hOverlord » 03 Mar 2015 09:19

Freak666 wrote:Truly a shame this album! Little mistakes and faults have been a trademark for BG albums in the past!

But face it:

off topic but at what time does the beep in under the ice happen?

blindgfan

#43 Post by blindgfan » 03 Mar 2015 19:34

But face it:

No pronunciation mistakes??? Lol! As hard as I tried to hear "Don't be upset" it always came out as "Don't be obsessed".
Last edited by blindgfan on 03 Mar 2015 21:17, edited 1 time in total.

Led Guardian

#44 Post by Led Guardian » 03 Mar 2015 20:14

T3hOverlord wrote:

But face it:

off topic but at what time does the beep in under the ice happen?
In the chorus.

Release from rooooootten thoouughts*BEEP* :mrgreen: