Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
blind-man

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#151 Post by blind-man » 04 Mar 2015 12:41

OmegaSlayer wrote:That's why I keep ranting that Hansi and André should really sit with Marcus...and Frederik ( :? ) to write songs and not just do everything by themselves.
I think BG has only to gain more "shapes and dimensions", by allowing other people to co-write.
Blind Guardian's always been Hansi and André's creative output. They've always been the main songwriters, and it's been working great for 30 years now. So I think there's no reason to change that.
Orodaran wrote:I don't need to look metal in my looks because I am metal in my heart 8)

OmegaSlayer

#152 Post by OmegaSlayer » 04 Mar 2015 15:09

blind-man wrote:
OmegaSlayer wrote:That's why I keep ranting that Hansi and André should really sit with Marcus...and Frederik ( :? ) to write songs and not just do everything by themselves.
I think BG has only to gain more "shapes and dimensions", by allowing other people to co-write.
Blind Guardian's always been Hansi and André's creative output. They've always been the main songwriters, and it's been working great for 30 years now. So I think there's no reason to change that.
That's only narrow minded imho.

Gandalf de Grijze

#153 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 04 Mar 2015 20:35

OmegaSlayer wrote:
blind-man wrote:
That's only narrow minded imho.
I think you really overstate Marcus' creativity.
I just checked wikipedia for writing credits for the first albums, and though I cannot state for certain that these are correct (mostly talking about the first two albums, as my copies only state Olbrich as writer and wiki states all members as writers) from Tales onward we can see Marcus his songs appear here and there. Lets's just assume that the first two albums were a collective effort, so it is hard to judge his influence.
  • Tales: LOTR [Siepen/Kürsch] pretty good song, though not one that really stands out from the rest (I prefer the orchestral version from The Forgotten Tales)
    Lost In The Twilight Hall [Kürsch, Olbrich, Siepen, Stauch] great song, but again a collective effort.
  • Somewhere: The Quest For Tanelorn [Kürsch, Olbrich, Siepen, Kai Hansen] only song on SFB I like less is Black Chamber, and still it is a collective effort including influence from Kai Hansen...
  • IFTOS: none
  • Nime: Curse Of Fëanor [Olbrich, Kürsch, Stauch, Siepen] while in my opinion overrated, and possibly the worst song on the album (not counting interludes), again it was a collective effort, therefor hardly a quantifiable influence.
  • ANATO: Harvest Of Sorrow [Siepen, Kürsch, Stauch] a good ballad, but not outstanding
  • Twist: none
  • ATEOT: none
  • BTRM: Doom [Siepen, Olbrich, Kürsch] nice song, but the more I listen to it the less I like it.
(all credits here are music credits, all lyrics have always been Kürsch)

Your previous argument for Thomen's creativity was stronger already, but even then, you give Thomen too much credit. Thomen co-wrote Battlefield, which is an outstanding track, but otherwise also for him there is not much to base such high opinion of writing skills on.
Obviously they have had their influences in every song, and I do believe they are "allowed" by the "evil tyrants" Kürsch/Olbrich to fill up their own parts to suit their own preferences, same goes for Frederik. And I definately believe that without them songs would have sounded differently.

Now you may consider these songs mentioned to be their best, but I kindof doubt that.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

sciacallo010

#154 Post by sciacallo010 » 04 Mar 2015 21:26

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:Lets's just assume that the first two albums were a collective effort, so it is hard to judge his influence.
  • Tales: LOTR [Siepen/Kürsch] pretty good song, though not one that really stands out from the rest (I prefer the orchestral version from The Forgotten Tales)
    Lost In The Twilight Hall [Kürsch, Olbrich, Siepen, Stauch] great song, but again a collective effort.
  • Somewhere: The Quest For Tanelorn [Kürsch, Olbrich, Siepen, Kai Hansen] only song on SFB I like less is Black Chamber, and still it is a collective effort including influence from Kai Hansen...
  • IFTOS: none
  • Nime: Curse Of Fëanor [Olbrich, Kürsch, Stauch, Siepen] while in my opinion overrated, and possibly the worst song on the album (not counting interludes), again it was a collective effort, therefor hardly a quantifiable influence.
  • ANATO: Harvest Of Sorrow [Siepen, Kürsch, Stauch] a good ballad, but not outstanding
  • Twist: none
  • ATEOT: none
  • BTRM: Doom [Siepen, Olbrich, Kürsch] nice song, but the more I listen to it the less I like it.
(all credits here are music credits, all lyrics have always been Kürsch)
While I find you belittle those songs too much ( :mrgreen: I love those songs), I totally agree with you.
The main songwriters for Blind Guardian have always been Hansi and André, stating that they don't let the other write is nonsense as none of us knows what happens behind the scenes, and stating that the album could be better with more songs written by Marcus and Fredrik is pure delusion.
I'd understand if he wrote more songs in the past, but as he didn't saying such things is fantasizing about nothing.

Don't get me wrong, I love Marcus, but there's nothing concrete behind those assertions.

OmegaSlayer

#155 Post by OmegaSlayer » 04 Mar 2015 22:14

@Gandalf
Songs quality is objective.
So I won't even go through the I like this while you don't to avoid useless arguments.
I just say that since we don't know who wrote what riff, we can't even know if the sections of those songs you like less were written from André or Marcus.

I say that every member in a band (and not only BG) has his richness, his influences, his experience, his taste and is, overall, a valuable asset.
That's all, Marcus has shown his qualities, as Thomen did, and as Frederik did (with The Holy Grail).
I undoubtly encourage a more collective effort.

As a musician I tell you that every musician has shapes, patterns and sounds that he likes more, they are their "SOUND".
If you study musical structures of songs, you can see what musicians do to have their sound and you can get how to mimic them.
There are books to learn how to play like Vai, Malmsteen and many others, but you can clearly study how to play like Olbrich if you want.
Most of the times the best way to expand the boundaries of your sound is experience and share songwriting with other people.
You don't lose or bastardize your sound, you just widen it.
You take an idea that usually is not in your vein and make it your own.
So I think that jamming in the reharsal room with other people sometimes can be more efficient than writing 8 choruses for a song until you don't find the one and sports a more genuine and at the same time surprising result.

I appreciate your effort to prove me wrong, but honestly I don't see any crazyness in what I say.

Gandalf de Grijze

#156 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 05 Mar 2015 21:33

Gandalf de Grijze wrote: Obviously they have had their influences in every song, and I do believe they are "allowed" by the "evil tyrants" Kürsch/Olbrich to fill up their own parts to suit their own preferences, same goes for Frederik. And I definately believe that without them songs would have sounded differently.
I'll just quote myself here, I think in the basis we agree. I also stated several times that we cannot know which part was specifically written by Marcus and which part wasn't, so I agree with you there. However, taking this as a basis, how can you bluntly state that Marcus should be allowed to write more stuff, as it will be better for the band, when looking at the facts we only have 6 songs in the last 8 albums with a significant contribution by Marcus. I don't think this narrow basis warrants your wish for more Marcus songs.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands

Malinor

#157 Post by Malinor » 06 Mar 2015 07:58

I guess I have listened to BTRM enough to rate the songs. In the end, this is quite a good album for me that I enjoy listening to a lot.
There is only a handful of songs in the world I would rate 10, so you won't find any here.

The Ninth Wave - 7 - The first minutes lead up to the best song ever, but especially the chorus is not up to par. The song still keeps growing on me though.
Twilight Of The Gods - 7 - A Very solid fast song.
Prophecies - 9 - A Wonderful song from start to finish.
At The Edge Of Time - 6 - It starts epic and gets less epic with every passing minute. I understand why some like it a lot, it is just not for me.
Ashes Of Eternity - 7 - Again, a very solid fast song.
Distant Memories - 8 - This is a wonderful song that would have been a 9 if the lyrics would be a little more diverse (i.e. 6x "Then these fools will fade away").
The Holy Grail - 8 - A very good fast song.
The Throne - 9 - Fast, melodic and gripping, the best song on BTRM. Very close to a 10.
Sacred Mind - 6 - The chorus simply kills this song for me, although the rest of the song is not bad.
Miracle Machine - 7 - A beautiful little song.
Grand Parade - 6 - I enjoy the song when listening to it, but I never tell my MP3 "Play Grand Parade NOW".
Doom - No rating yet, listened to it for the first time yesterday.

Some remarks:
1. I had to listen to this album A LOT before liking it. But after some time I did not want to play anything but BTRM on my MP3.
2. If more of my favourite musicians would create this kind of music, I would literally not have enough time to get into it. I wonder how hard it would be to get into BG if this is the first Album you would hear. It really asks a lot from the listener.
3. I agree with some of the comments made earlier that the sound feels flat sometimes. As somebody pointed out, the music always comes from the same direction. NIME for example had melodies come from everywhere, I miss that and I feel the production could have been better.
4. Also, I would have liked more dominant drums sometimes. I liked Frederiks play on ATEOT (album), but not so much on this one.
5. Especially the epic songs on this album (The Ninth wave, ATEOT, Grand Parade) just don't click with me. I enjoyed Sacred and Wheel of Time so much more.

OmegaSlayer

#158 Post by OmegaSlayer » 06 Mar 2015 22:02

Gandalf de Grijze wrote: I'll just quote myself here, I think in the basis we agree. I also stated several times that we cannot know which part was specifically written by Marcus and which part wasn't, so I agree with you there. However, taking this as a basis, how can you bluntly state that Marcus should be allowed to write more stuff, as it will be better for the band, when looking at the facts we only have 6 songs in the last 8 albums with a significant contribution by Marcus. I don't think this narrow basis warrants your wish for more Marcus songs.
I didn't say Marcus (and Frederik) should write more stuff and bring it to the reharsal room.
It's pretty clear from many interviews that André writes songs at home, give the stuff to Hansi, they go back and forward then they go the reharsal room when everything is almost finished.
You said that the other players have their own "space" for their parts, but...music, like it or not, has RULES.
I say like it or not because the rules concept kind of kills some of the artistic aspect of music.
Even Jazz and dodecaphonic music have rules even when they sound so random.
So, once a lead is composed by André, there is not much Marcus can do.
If André writes a lead in E or A Phrygian (which he likes to use a lot), the number of solution Marcus can build gets severely limited.
That's the theory of harmony which tells you how you can effectively stack up notes.
You can say "fvck theory!" but the results won't be good, and that's pretty much guaranteed.
Better, the more you know theory, the more you can apply experimental sounds solutions with effectiveness.
But that is Jazz theory...something you have to study relentlessly for decades.
When André and Hansi come up with a verse with Hansi's vocals almost done and André's lead mostly following vocal lines, there's not much Marcus can do except decide the chords inversions or the rhythm patterns.
In BG way of writing Marcus and Frederik have little space to build melodies, to be later harmonically arranged by the band.
Also...about Marcus...he held lessons on guitarmasterclass and I assure you he would be a great addition to songwriting.

clintilona

#159 Post by clintilona » 07 Mar 2015 13:11

The Ninth Wave 9
Twilight Of The Gods 8
Prophecies 8.25
At The Edge Of Time 7
Ashes Of Eternity 8.5
Distant Memories 8.25
The Holy Grail 9.5
The Throne 9.75
Sacred Mind 8.75
Miracle Machine 7.5
Grand Parade 9.25
Doom 8

OmegaSlayer

#160 Post by OmegaSlayer » 08 Mar 2015 14:49

Guys!
Just realized the thread is about rating and not raNting... :mrgreen:

Dragonfly

#161 Post by Dragonfly » 08 Mar 2015 15:19

OmegaSlayer wrote:Guys!
To err is human. :)
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

priderock

#162 Post by priderock » 08 Mar 2015 15:22

That was funny. Just made my day! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

Infernal Lord

#163 Post by Infernal Lord » 08 Mar 2015 21:27

:mrgreen:
The Nine sing
Once upon a dream ago
We're the ones you've left alone

Gandalf de Grijze

#164 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 09 Mar 2015 14:36

Current standing:
The Ninth Wave 8.2/10
Twilight Of The Gods 7.0/10
Prophecies 8.6/10
At The Edge Of Time 8.3/10
Ashes Of Eternity 7.2/10
Distant Memories 8.5/10
The Holy Grail 8.7/10
The Throne 9.1/10
Sacred Mind 8.4/10
Miracle Machine 7.9/10
Grand Parade 8.6/10
Doom 7.9/10

Miracle Machine just went down a bit again, and Doom is still on the rise. Now both almost equal, although Doom is still slightly lower when looked at 3 decimals...

Perse

#165 Post by Perse » 09 Mar 2015 17:07

The Ninth Wave - 9/10
Really dark for Blind Guardian standards, except for the chorus. Took a while to get used to the contrast but now I love it. But I still think the darker parts are the best (As we will rule the world...)

Twilight of the Gods - 7.8/10
Decent, would not have gotten that much attention if it had not been the single. The chorus does not convince me completely.

Prophecies - 9.5/10
Would have been the better single, the ending is nothing but perfection.

At the Edge of Time - 8.3/10
Again the ending is the best part. Maybe I was a little bit underwhelmed because I expected something as epic as Wheel of Time.

Ashes of Eternity - 8/10
Does not deserve the hate it gets sometimes. Some parts are really majestic. I have the feeling that on many songs the verses are catchier than the chorus.

Distant Memories - 9.5/10
I would not compare it to Mordred's Song when it comes to the atmosphere and the emotion involved. But it surely is on the same level.

The Holy Grail - 8.8/10
I think it works mostly because of its chorus. But that does not change the fact that it is great. I don't like the ending though, one of the rare parts where I perceive the lyrics as cheesy.

The Throne - 9.5/10
Has three parts that blow my mind every time: The chorus, "I've come to tell you" and "A storm from the north". So epic.

Sacred Mind - 9/10
Hansi is on fire in this one. At first I wondered if the Xanadu line might get cheesy, but it works really well. But again I think the verses are the strongest parts.

Miracle Machine - 8/10
Are piano ballads the new medieval ballads? Would be great if you ask me.

Grand Parade - 7.7/10
Does not get me, to me it is actually the weakest track. Maybe it will change in the future. But the only thing that impresses me is when Hansi sings "It would be the EEEEEEEEND" Damn that sounds so perfect.

Doom 8.9/10
Definitely has the NiME/Thorn vibe to it. And a hint of Winter of Souls. Don't know why it is rated so low, for me it's one of the best tracks.

Led Guardian

#166 Post by Led Guardian » 21 Mar 2015 01:12

Perse wrote:Doom 8.9/10
Definitely has the NiME/Thorn vibe to it. And a hint of Winter of Souls. Don't know why it is rated so low, for me it's one of the best tracks.
Finally got to hear this song. Now at last I can rate all of them. At some point.

I can hear a little NIME, but to me it sounds like IFTOS meets D&W. The guitar sound is definitely very IFTOS. It's a pretty good song all in all, although it is a little rougher production-wise than the rest, so definitely a bonus track. The drum production isn't great anywhere on this album, but you can barely hear any of the cymbals in this song. Still, some nice melodies, catchy chorus, and a good, dark feel.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

clintilona

#167 Post by clintilona » 14 Jul 2015 06:01

The more I listen to this album start to finish, the more I wish "At the Edge of Tiime" was left off. That song has zero memorable moments to me and completely stalls out the middle portion of the album. I have tried listening to the album with that orchestral mess taken out a few times now and it makes for a perfectly executed musical masterpiece.

It took 50+ listens to finally admit it, but "At the Edge of Time" (the song) is just not good... At all... I have tried to find something to like, but it ruins an otherwise perfect album. Imagine the flow of this album without that 7 minute (feels like 12) song dragging everything down.

I initially gave it a 7/10 because I had hoped that maybe it was so complex that I just didn't absorb everything it had to offer. I have now realized that there is absolutely nothing in that song worth absorbing.

I'd imagine the reviews from people who can only find fault with this album for being too over the top would probably sing a different tune were this song not on the album.

priderock

#168 Post by priderock » 14 Jul 2015 12:28

clintilona wrote:The more I listen to this album start to finish, the more I wish "At the Edge of Tiime" was left off. That song has zero memorable moments to me and completely stalls out the middle portion of the album. I have tried listening to the album with that orchestral mess taken out a few times now and it makes for a perfectly executed musical masterpiece.

It took 50+ listens to finally admit it, but "At the Edge of Time" (the song) is just not good... At all... I have tried to find something to like, but it ruins an otherwise perfect album. Imagine the flow of this album without that 7 minute (feels like 12) song dragging everything down.

I initially gave it a 7/10 because I had hoped that maybe it was so complex that I just didn't absorb everything it had to offer. I have now realized that there is absolutely nothing in that song worth absorbing.

I'd imagine the reviews from people who can only find fault with this album for being too over the top would probably sing a different tune were this song not on the album.

Blasphemy!!!! :/ To me this is still the best song(it's even more than a song)in the album! I won't write anything about the song here, cause I did that a lot of times in some previous pages...

Warmoth

#169 Post by Warmoth » 14 Jul 2015 20:00

clintilona wrote:It took 50+ listens to finally admit it, but "At the Edge of Time" (the song) is just not good... At all... I have tried to find something to like, but it ruins an otherwise perfect album. Imagine the flow of this album without that 7 minute (feels like 12) song dragging everything down.
Wow, this is surprising. To me, this song is one of the strongest from the album. Musically and lyrically. Iit flies by when I listen to it.

If any song dragged on for me, it would be "The Ninth Wave". Which I still enjoy.

Parathion

#170 Post by Parathion » 24 Jul 2015 15:26

First of all i want to say, this isn't their best album. There are some good songs but a lot of weak ones too.

1. Decent intro, the mix between the choir and the guitars is good. Decent but lacks power . 6.5/10
2. Good start with the high vocals at the start of the song. This song calls forth an atmosphere. In my opinion it brings a feeling of despair and that is what Blind guardian can do. The can bring an atmosphere in their songs. Good guitarsolo's, nice speed and power. 8/10
3. Same here, a nice start with again the atmosphere they create here althoug not as good as the previous song. 7.5/10
4. Weak song, to slow to be any interesting. 4.5/10
5.This song starts with a promising intro. It sounds to me as wardrums followed by a nice guitarsolo and Hansi's raw voice. Accodring to me the song ends here; the chorus is too much choir and has no interesting middle nor ending. 5.5/10
6. This is excellent as a kind of interludium that a strong album needs. Too bad this albums lacks the strenght so it's kind of wasted here. 6/10
7. Very good start, very powerful, very Blind Guardian. The only flaw (for me) is the Hallalujah part. I don't like to be reminded about christianity in songs that carry me away on a fantasy voyage. 7.5/10 (would have been 8 without the Hallelujah)
8. This song tries te be too epic. The grandeur is too much and thus it looses quality. I'd say an epic fail 4/10
9. This song starts very calmly/weak. It seems like they are going to start another ballad when suddenly at 1:23 the fire erupts from your speakers. Great song worthy of praise!!!! 8.5/10
10. And another fail. Luckily Hansi's voice is recognisable or else i would think i was listening to an album of Tori Amos. 1.5/10
11. And here we are at the "Grand Parade". I would have changed the title into the "Grande Farce". Trying to make an epic song like "Wheel of Time" or "Sacred worlds" but it failed. For the effort 3/10

This is my personal opinion, as you perhaps can see i really loved "at the edge of time" and the older albums. This albums is the weakest in my opinion with some good songs but mostly bad ones.

Ryu

#171 Post by Ryu » 28 Jul 2015 01:56

To be fair, the legend of the Holy Grail is interwoven with aspects of Christian lore. In the context of the album's concept I'm not sure what the significance of the Grail even is, but it seems to be more or less the one from Arthurian legend. The phrase "hallelujah" therefore isn't at all out of place. That said I'm pretty sure the entire band has written off or denounced religion in general by now. They don't have an agenda, they're telling a story and being consistent with their references. :?

And to speak of opinions, as you have expressed yours .. Suggesting Sacred Worlds is more of an "epic" than Grand Parade sounds absurd to me. I don't want to devolve in to a fan boyish tirade, but to suggest Grand Parade is lacking "epic ness".. Sacred Worlds would just be a cookie cutter heavy/power metal song without the intro and outro. Grand Parade is borderline symphonic metal at times and never lets up. Criticize it all you want; Wheel of Time is as epic or moreso, true, but the Sacred Worlds comparison iust doesn't add up. And I love ATEOT.
Defiant of destiny

brazilian_bard

#172 Post by brazilian_bard » 28 Jul 2015 16:10

Ok, here it goes: (Edited on 1/7/16, now that I know all the songs very well)

The Ninth Wave : 8.5/10
Twilight of the Gods : 9.5/10
Prophecies : 8.5/10
At the Edge of Time : 10/10
Ashes of Eternity : 8/10
Distant Memories : --
The Holy Grail : 10/10
The Throne : 9/10
Sacred Mind : 9/10
Miracle Machine : 8.5/10
Grand Parade : 10/10
Doom: --
Last edited by brazilian_bard on 01 Jul 2016 18:47, edited 1 time in total.

Ryu

#173 Post by Ryu » 30 Jul 2015 13:15

Allow me to re-assess (I want to type up a semi-comprehensive review, but this is probably my final stance on the album)

Old score:
The Ninth Wave: 8.5/10
Twilight of the Gods: 6.5/10
Prophecies: 10/10
At the Edge of Time: 8.5/10
Ashes of Eternity: 7/10
Distant Memories: 7/10
The Holy Grail: 10/10
The Throne: 9/10
Sacred Mind: 8.5/10
Miracle Machine: 6/10
Grand Parade: 9/10
Doom: 8.5/10
Current:
The Ninth Wave: 9.0/10
Twilight of the Gods: 8.0/10
At the Edge of Time: 8.5/10
Ashes of Eternity: 7.5/10
Distant Memories: 7/10
The Holy Grail: 10/10
The Throne: 8.5/10
Sacred Mind: 9.0/10
Miracle Machine: 6/10
Grand Parade: 10/10
Doom: 8.5/10

I grew more and more fond of everything and only lost interest (slightly) in The Throne.

Again, these scores are weighing these tracks against all other BG tracks. Consider, for example; Mirror Mirror, ATTWS, Wheel of Time, The Curse of Feanor, Lost in the Twilight Hall, and Under the Ice as references for other 9 to 10 rated songs, at least from my perspective.
Defiant of destiny

Max

#174 Post by Max » 30 Jul 2015 16:06

Very well. Now I can score the tracks too:

The Ninth Wave: 8.5/10
Twilight of the Gods: 8/10
Prophecies: 9/10
At the Edge of Time: 9.5/10
Ashes of Eternity: 10/10
Distant Memories: 6/10
The Holy Grail: 8/10
The Throne: 8.5/10
Sacred Mind: 8/10
Miracle Machine: 7/10
Grand Parade: 7/10 (1st half), 9/10 (2nd half)
Doom: 9/10
Follow the blind
Your journey, your last hope, it can begin
These passing dreams were real no fantasy
There are more things than we know
Come take my hand

Jon The Wise

#175 Post by Jon The Wise » 23 Sep 2015 04:18

The Ninth Wave: 10/10
Twilight Of The Gods: 10/10
At The Edge Of Time: 9/10
Ashes Of Eternity: 8/10
Distant Memories: 8/10
The Holy Grail: 9/10
The Throne: 8/10
Sacred Mind: 9/10
Miracle Machine: 10/10
Grand Parade: 9/10

Hard to give this band a bad rating for anything they have ever done.

Vanni Fucci

#176 Post by Vanni Fucci » 09 Jan 2016 14:09

The Ninth Wave 7
Twilight of the Gods 6,5
Prophecies 9
At the Edge of Time 8
Ashes of Eternity 8
Distant Memories 8,5
The Holy Grail 9,5
The Throne 9
Sacred Mind 7,5
Miracle Machine 7,5
Grand Parade 8
Doom 9

I consider it a very solid release, roughly on the same level as the previous one, despite being more ambitious and taking much more time to get used to. The fact that the first two songs are (in my opinion) the album's worst didn't help at all to be honest, but I soon got over it.
It could have used a little streamlining here and there, but I appreciate the fact that they're always aiming for something new.

Nahar

#177 Post by Nahar » 11 Jan 2016 20:35

I thought I answered it before but it seems I haven't
probably didn't feel ready...

The Ninth Wave: 10/10
Twilight Of The Gods: 9/10
Prophecies: 9/10
At The Edge Of Time: 9/10
Ashes Of Eternity: 10/10
Distant Memories: 8/10
The Holy Grail: 9/10
The Throne: 10/10
Sacred Mind: 10/10
Miracle Machine: 9/10
Grand Parade: 9.5/10

It's nice to see how people think completely different things about some of the songs.
I was quite shocked actually with OmegaSlayer's review of Ashes of Eternity - it's one of my favourites.. Just pure fun for me, and I find myself excited every time it starts. Most of the other songs have different effects on every listen except The Ninth Wave which also has a very steady effect.

I think Sacred Mind is the Under the Ice of the album :)
"As darkness came it brought along silence.
Yet silence also bears madness.
Silence surrounds me - a deathly silence"...

priderock

#178 Post by priderock » 12 Jan 2016 09:35

Nahar wrote:
I think Sacred Mind is the Under the Ice of the album :)
I've thought its At The Edge Of Time - just an even more giantic one :D :?

As for Ashes of Eternety, I have to say that I also thought that it's the weakest one at first, but right now I can say that it's a such a great experience listening to it! It's like a mini epic musical! I like it! Great song! :P

P.S. At The Edge Of Time is still my favorite from the album! It's like the new Wheel Of Time! It's ending is probably the most memoriazable and epic part in BG's history(in music history too)!!! 100/10 for this piece of art!