Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Message
Author
User avatar
Gandalf de Grijze
Posts: 13916
Joined: 16 Aug 2002 18:01
Location: Dutchielandia
Contact:

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#101 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 08 Feb 2015 12:36

Current standing:
The Ninth Wave 8.2/10
Twilight Of The Gods 6.9/10
Prophecies 8.6/10
At The Edge Of Time 8.5/10
Ashes Of Eternity 7.0/10
Distant Memories 8.5/10
The Holy Grail 8.8/10
The Throne 9.1/10
Sacred Mind 8.6/10
Miracle Machine 8.1/10
Grand Parade 8.5/10
Doom 7.8/10

Led Guardian wrote:I'm also curious why so many people dislike Ashes of Eternity so much. It's not the best on the album, but it seems a solid and pretty catchy song to me. Reasons?
For me it isn't so much a disliking, it is just liking it waay less than other songs on the album... And I don't really see what's catchy about it. The best part of the song is the "from the ashes of eternity" line, which imo should have been elaborated in a full chorus, the way it is it is just an ok song...
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

User avatar
Infernal Lord
Posts: 81
Joined: 05 Feb 2015 23:51
Location: London, England

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#102 Post by Infernal Lord » 08 Feb 2015 13:31

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:
Led Guardian wrote:I'm also curious why so many people dislike Ashes of Eternity so much. It's not the best on the album, but it seems a solid and pretty catchy song to me. Reasons?
For me it isn't so much a disliking, it is just liking it waay less than other songs on the album...
This. :)
The Nine sing
Once upon a dream ago
We're the ones you've left alone

OmegaSlayer
Posts: 235
Joined: 14 Dec 2014 10:05

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#103 Post by OmegaSlayer » 08 Feb 2015 16:45

Please I would like to upgrade 2 of my votes
At The Edge Of Time - 6
Grand Parade - 7
Thanks :D

priderock
Posts: 174
Joined: 17 Jan 2015 12:45

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#104 Post by priderock » 08 Feb 2015 16:50

OmegaSlayer wrote:Please I would like to upgrade 2 of my votes
At The Edge Of Time - 6
Grand Parade - 7
Thanks :D
Yeaahhh :mrgreen: 8)

blindgfan
Posts: 108
Joined: 13 Nov 2014 11:45

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#105 Post by blindgfan » 08 Feb 2015 18:16

Led Guardian wrote:I'm also curious why so many people dislike Ashes of Eternity so much. It's not the best on the album, but it seems a solid and pretty catchy song to me. Reasons?
The chorus actually reminds me of Battlefield. Awesome track. No complaints.

ragehu
Posts: 10
Joined: 21 Jan 2011 01:37

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#106 Post by ragehu » 08 Feb 2015 19:21

This is an album we should rate after 10 or more listenings minimum...
More listenings - more better rates
:-)

User avatar
Infernal Lord
Posts: 81
Joined: 05 Feb 2015 23:51
Location: London, England

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#107 Post by Infernal Lord » 08 Feb 2015 19:40

ragehu wrote:This is an album we should rate after 10 or more listenings minimum...
More listenings - more better rates
:-)
It's DEFINITELY an album that you need to listen to a good few times to really get to know it, especially to cast a judgement. There's so much going on in each song. I think I've listened to it - to the exclusion of all else for the full week! - a minimum of about 40 times so far. It just keeps giving! 8)
The Nine sing
Once upon a dream ago
We're the ones you've left alone

Led Guardian
Posts: 2423
Joined: 26 Mar 2008 21:08
Location: Somewhere less cliché than far beyond

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#108 Post by Led Guardian » 08 Feb 2015 23:45

ragehu wrote:This is an album we should rate after 10 or more listenings minimum...
More listenings - more better rates
:-)
Science backs you up on that. :mrgreen:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/articl ... ne.0027241

I don't say that to take away from BG's music, because I love it, but it is true that simply being more familiar with a song makes you have a stronger emotional response to it, regardless of musical preference. Of course, if it's truly terrible that strong emotional response might be disgust. :lol:
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

User avatar
Infernal Lord
Posts: 81
Joined: 05 Feb 2015 23:51
Location: London, England

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#109 Post by Infernal Lord » 09 Feb 2015 09:14

Led Guardian wrote:
ragehu wrote:This is an album we should rate after 10 or more listenings minimum...
More listenings - more better rates
:-)
Science backs you up on that. :mrgreen:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/articl ... ne.0027241

I don't say that to take away from BG's music, because I love it, but it is true that simply being more familiar with a song makes you have a stronger emotional response to it, regardless of musical preference. Of course, if it's truly terrible that strong emotional response might be disgust. :lol:
That is a HEAVY read...! :o
The Nine sing
Once upon a dream ago
We're the ones you've left alone

letzterheld
Posts: 1
Joined: 09 Feb 2015 09:55

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#110 Post by letzterheld » 09 Feb 2015 09:59

My ratings:

The Ninth Wave 7.5
Twilight Of The Gods 7.5
Prophecies 10.0
At The Edge Of Time 9.5
Ashes Of Eternity 7.5
Distant Memories 9.0
The Holy Grail 9.0
The Throne 9.0
Sacred Mind 8.0
Miracle Machine 8.5
Grand Parade 9.0

User avatar
Gandalf de Grijze
Posts: 13916
Joined: 16 Aug 2002 18:01
Location: Dutchielandia
Contact:

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#111 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 09 Feb 2015 11:00

Current standing:
The Ninth Wave 8.1/10
Twilight Of The Gods 7.0/10
Prophecies 8.7/10
At The Edge Of Time 8.6/10
Ashes Of Eternity 7.0/10
Distant Memories 8.5/10
The Holy Grail 8.8/10
The Throne 9.1/10
Sacred Mind 8.5/10
Miracle Machine 8.1/10
Grand Parade 8.6/10
Doom 7.8/10


Prophecies is slowly extending its lead over Grand Parade and At The Edge Of Time, plus there is no longer a vote below the 7.0! Average is 8.2 still...
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

User avatar
Infernal Lord
Posts: 81
Joined: 05 Feb 2015 23:51
Location: London, England

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#112 Post by Infernal Lord » 09 Feb 2015 20:12

My Earbook arrived today! :)

On with 'Doom'...
The Nine sing
Once upon a dream ago
We're the ones you've left alone

User avatar
Infernal Lord
Posts: 81
Joined: 05 Feb 2015 23:51
Location: London, England

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#113 Post by Infernal Lord » 11 Feb 2015 00:12

Infernal Lord wrote:My Earbook arrived today! :)

On with 'Doom'...
I'm still getting myself fully acquainted with 'Doom'. I take the point that it sounds subtely different to the other songs on the album, but I quite like it. I think I need a few more listens and then I can chime in with a score /10...!
The Nine sing
Once upon a dream ago
We're the ones you've left alone

blindgfan
Posts: 108
Joined: 13 Nov 2014 11:45

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#114 Post by blindgfan » 11 Feb 2015 07:17

Infernal Lord wrote:
Infernal Lord wrote:My Earbook arrived today! :)

On with 'Doom'...
I'm still getting myself fully acquainted with 'Doom'. I take the point that it sounds subtely different to the other songs on the album, but I quite like it. I think I need a few more listens and then I can chime in with a score /10...!
It's one of the best songs on the album. Left out just for money grab.

User avatar
Gandalf de Grijze
Posts: 13916
Joined: 16 Aug 2002 18:01
Location: Dutchielandia
Contact:

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#115 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 11 Feb 2015 11:02

blindgfan wrote:
Infernal Lord wrote:
Infernal Lord wrote:My Earbook arrived today! :)

On with 'Doom'...
I'm still getting myself fully acquainted with 'Doom'. I take the point that it sounds subtely different to the other songs on the album, but I quite like it. I think I need a few more listens and then I can chime in with a score /10...!
It's one of the best songs on the album. Left out just for money grab.
I disagree, it is in my bottom three, and deservedly a bonustrack unlike Distant Memories, which is one of the best they've ever done, this song should never have been a bonus track
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

RandomName
Posts: 11
Joined: 03 Feb 2015 07:37

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#116 Post by RandomName » 11 Feb 2015 15:10

After god knows how many listening I raise The Ninth Wave to 9/10 :mrgreen:

blindgfan
Posts: 108
Joined: 13 Nov 2014 11:45

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#117 Post by blindgfan » 11 Feb 2015 18:12

Gandalf de Grijze wrote: I disagree, it is in my bottom three, and deservedly a bonustrack unlike Distant Memories, which is one of the best they've ever done, this song should never have been a bonus track
DM is the "Mordred's Song" of this album. Doom is the mighty "Requiem"!

User avatar
Gandalf de Grijze
Posts: 13916
Joined: 16 Aug 2002 18:01
Location: Dutchielandia
Contact:

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#118 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 11 Feb 2015 22:12

blindgfan wrote:
Gandalf de Grijze wrote: I disagree, it is in my bottom three, and deservedly a bonustrack unlike Distant Memories, which is one of the best they've ever done, this song should never have been a bonus track
DM is the "Mordred's Song" of this album. Doom is the mighty "Requiem"!
Yeah, considering that I thing Script For My Requiem the worst song on IFTOS, and that is is really REALLY getting boring to hear it live... I might tend to agree on the requiem part.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

blindgfan
Posts: 108
Joined: 13 Nov 2014 11:45

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#119 Post by blindgfan » 11 Feb 2015 23:43

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:
blindgfan wrote:
Gandalf de Grijze wrote: I disagree, it is in my bottom three, and deservedly a bonustrack unlike Distant Memories, which is one of the best they've ever done, this song should never have been a bonus track
DM is the "Mordred's Song" of this album. Doom is the mighty "Requiem"!
Yeah, considering that I thing Script For My Requiem the worst song on IFTOS, and that is is really REALLY getting boring to hear it live... I might tend to agree on the requiem part.
It's my second favorite after Another Holy War. I guess if they played the latter live instead, then Script would have been my first favorite )

User avatar
JazzJackrabbit
Posts: 106
Joined: 25 Nov 2014 18:21
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#120 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 12 Feb 2015 03:17

Alright here's my first crack it. I've listened to the album about 7-8 times but there's still the possibility that these scores could change.

The Ninth Wave - 9/10
Twilight Of The Gods - 7.5/10
Prophecies - 8/10
At The Edge Of Time - 9/10
Ashes Of Eternity - 8.5/10
Distant Memories - 6.5/10
The Holy Grail - 9/10
The Throne - 10/10
Sacred Mind - 7/10
Miracle Machine - 7.5/10
Grand Parade - 8.5/10

User avatar
Ryu
Posts: 339
Joined: 02 Jul 2009 17:06

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#121 Post by Ryu » 12 Feb 2015 06:42

Alright I'm bumping Ashes from 4 (Christ I'm so sorry Encrypted Time) to 7.

Distant Memories from 5 to 7.

Miracle Machine from 5 to 6.

Having a listen on my sound system without blasting everything is allowing me some greater appreciation for these tracks in particular.
Defiant of destiny

User avatar
Gandalf de Grijze
Posts: 13916
Joined: 16 Aug 2002 18:01
Location: Dutchielandia
Contact:

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#122 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 12 Feb 2015 10:25

Current standing:
The Ninth Wave 8.2/10
Twilight Of The Gods 7.0/10
Prophecies 8.6/10
At The Edge Of Time 8.6/10
Ashes Of Eternity 7.2/10
Distant Memories 8.5/10
The Holy Grail 8.8/10
The Throne 9.1/10
Sacred Mind 8.5/10
Miracle Machine 8.1/10
Grand Parade 8.6/10
Doom 7.8/10


With Ashes rising 2 tenths of a point, the average seems to have risen as well to 8.3. However no changes in the top or bottom songs occurred
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

User avatar
Infernal Lord
Posts: 81
Joined: 05 Feb 2015 23:51
Location: London, England

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#123 Post by Infernal Lord » 12 Feb 2015 20:08

Time to update my ratings now I'm much more familiar with the album. Previous ratings shown in regular text; new rating shown in bold blue; red and green show current bottom three / top three tracks:

The Ninth Wave 7 6.5 - rather than growing on me, I find this song less 'tolerable' (for want of a better word). The intro is ace but I'm not keen on the body of the song.

Twilight Of The Gods 9 8.7 - I still REALLY like this song and can't understand why it's in a lot of people's bottom 3, but perhaps I was just a TOUCH generous before.

Prophecies 9.8 9.9 - the intro is starting to grate on me less and less with each listen - I still LOVE this track!

At The Edge Of Time 6 6 - no change; I'm still not a massive fan of this one.

Ashes Of Eternity 7 7.5

Distant Memories 7 8

The Holy Grail 8.5 9

The Throne 8.2 8.2 - I still think this is a pretty good song (especially the solo) but I don't really get ALL the fuss

Sacred Mind 8 9.1 - the chorus didn't wash with me the first few times ("Xanadu"? What?!) BUT with my latest listen I've realised what a dark, evil-sounding, heavy, fast, brutal, awesome track this really is!

Miracle Machine 7 8 - a beautiful song...

Grand Parade 7 7.5

Doom (No previous rating) 7 - purely because I still need to listen to it more. This could well change...


Sorry, Gandalf - every time one of us does this it must really p!ss you off...! :mrgreen:
The Nine sing
Once upon a dream ago
We're the ones you've left alone

Hylirion
Posts: 8
Joined: 25 Sep 2010 15:59

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#124 Post by Hylirion » 12 Feb 2015 20:40

I'll give this a try

The Ninth Wave - 9.5/10 Such a good song. Only one I instantly liked. Awesome voicework, awesome heavy rythm guitar work, awesome chorus, awesome bridge. Guitar solo part could be slightly better only reason it's not a 10.

Twilight Of The Gods - 7/10 Decent song. Wonder if he'll do those 'HOW THEY DARE TO BE' live :P. Like the drumming on this song a lot. The different parts don't flow together all that well, bad buildup to the chorus. Some nice solo guitar stuff though. Hard to rate this one. Sometimes I love it, sometimes less :P

Prophecies - 7.5/10 Good song. Lot's of interesting stuff going on. Kind of dislike 'a crow a storm' in the chorus it's too slow. Also the introduction tones are soooo loud wtf. Ending is really cool.

At The Edge Of Time - 6/10 Strange song. Sick intro. Don't really like the voicework in this one unfortunately. Chorus is too busy for my liking Hansi gets buried. Not enough guitar in this song, weak guitar solo part.

Ashes Of Eternity - 8.5/10 Song with a bit more body, I like it, heavy rythm guitar stuff! A bit less busy than the previous songs. Amazing guitar solo part. Great voicework. Only suffers from a weak chorus and hook or this would be an instant classic imo.

Distant Memories - 9/10 Love this one. A little different than normal BG but this bonustrack is one of the best on the album. Flows great, good buildups, love the chorus. It's good paced and a fine departure from the busier/faster songs on this album.

The Holy Grail - 6.5/10
Not my song. Like the intro a lot! Chorus is a bit boring to me. He keeps singing 'there on the battlefield' and that just makes me want to listen to Battlefield instead as that song is way better :P.

The Throne - 9/10 "WE MUST SERVE THE FIRE!" Solid song for sure. Really flawless in my opinion.

Sacred Mind - 8.5/10 This intro is soooo good. "For all they went through!" So epic! Chorus starts good with the sacred mind part but the 'My Xanaduuuuuuuuu' part is weak. Otherwise this song would have been my favourite. Good tempo, great guitar stuff.

Miracle Machine - 6/10 Not a fan. It's their worst ballad and it's too late on the album. His voice and the piano sound great though and 'final seaaaheeeal' is amazing. Not a bad song but their other ballads are way more interesting.

Grand Parade - 7/10 Hard song to rate. It's definitely no 'And then there was silence' unfortunately. I'm in love with the orchestra parts of this song they are absolutely mindblowing. When the violins join the beating drums <3 But I don't really like the first few minutes. After the first instrumental ochestra break it get's a lot better the mid part is really good. Chorus doesn't do it for me. The sudden break after 'Here comes the SUN' is just terrible it ruins the song for me.

priderock
Posts: 174
Joined: 17 Jan 2015 12:45

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#125 Post by priderock » 12 Feb 2015 20:46

I just don't get it... How it's possible someone not to rate ATEOT(the song) 10/10.... Yeah, it's not a song, people must realize that, it's a masterpiece in the full meaning of this word... Just give this piece a chance, guys.., please stop expecting something similar to what we knew and like...Seriously, I'm a little upset :) Btw, I want to rate again "Grand Parade" with 10/10
Last edited by priderock on 12 Feb 2015 20:56, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
JazzJackrabbit
Posts: 106
Joined: 25 Nov 2014 18:21
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#126 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 12 Feb 2015 20:48

You're upset because people have different opinions? Chill dude, it's going to be okay.

priderock
Posts: 174
Joined: 17 Jan 2015 12:45

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#127 Post by priderock » 12 Feb 2015 20:50

JazzJackrabbit wrote:You're upset because people have different opinions? Chill dude, it's going to be okay.
Ok, confused is better word :wink: All the songs are special in its own way in the album, but this is just the most different and unexpected song BG have done.. maybe that's why I like it that much! But, yeah, I agree that at the end it's just a matter of taste.

Led Guardian
Posts: 2423
Joined: 26 Mar 2008 21:08
Location: Somewhere less cliché than far beyond

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#128 Post by Led Guardian » 12 Feb 2015 22:52

priderock wrote:I just don't get it... How it's possible someone not to rate ATEOT(the song) 10/10.... Yeah, it's not a song, people must realize that, it's a masterpiece in the full meaning of this word... Just give this piece a chance, guys.., please stop expecting something similar to what we knew and like...Seriously, I'm a little upset :) Btw, I want to rate again "Grand Parade" with 10/10
It's definitely different, and that's why I really want to like it. But honestly, I think it's at a 6/10 for me as well right now. The problem for me is that the melodies just don't do anything for me. Every time the music or vocal lines start heading in a direction that sounds like it's going to be awesome, it pulls back and becomes stilted. Also, they have a huge focus on the orchestra here, even to the extent that they wrote and recorded all the orchestra bits first, as I recall. But despite that, it has no room to breathe in the production. Most of the time I can't make out any discernible melody in the orchestra. It's just a wall of notes, washing around the song with no identity. Finally, there is a lack of build. I mean, how can it build? It's one big climax from beginning to end. Really, the most descriptive thing I can say is "This song needed more room to breathe."
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

User avatar
Infernal Lord
Posts: 81
Joined: 05 Feb 2015 23:51
Location: London, England

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#129 Post by Infernal Lord » 13 Feb 2015 00:40

Led Guardian wrote:
priderock wrote:I just don't get it... How it's possible someone not to rate ATEOT(the song) 10/10.... Yeah, it's not a song, people must realize that, it's a masterpiece in the full meaning of this word... Just give this piece a chance, guys.., please stop expecting something similar to what we knew and like...Seriously, I'm a little upset :) Btw, I want to rate again "Grand Parade" with 10/10
It's definitely different, and that's why I really want to like it. But honestly, I think it's at a 6/10 for me as well right now. The problem for me is that the melodies just don't do anything for me. Every time the music or vocal lines start heading in a direction that sounds like it's going to be awesome, it pulls back and becomes stilted. Also, they have a huge focus on the orchestra here, even to the extent that they wrote and recorded all the orchestra bits first, as I recall. But despite that, it has no room to breathe in the production. Most of the time I can't make out any discernible melody in the orchestra. It's just a wall of notes, washing around the song with no identity. Finally, there is a lack of build. I mean, how can it build? It's one big climax from beginning to end. Really, the most descriptive thing I can say is "This song needed more room to breathe."
That's a really succinct way of putting it. I agree!
The Nine sing
Once upon a dream ago
We're the ones you've left alone

ErHaO
Posts: 175
Joined: 23 Jun 2010 17:51

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#130 Post by ErHaO » 13 Feb 2015 02:27

The way ATEOT keeps on going and building makes the song for me. It is the best song they have done in many years for me. It is incredibly well paced and really intense despite not being a fast song. Their most massive sounding song imo. I like songs like Wheel of time a lot too, but most certainly hope they go for both kind of song structures in the future. As long as a balance is maintained.

I disagree with the mix, I can hear the orchestra and vocals clear. They are buried more in other songs.

I agree with some key points of your description though, but that is exactly what makes me love it so much.

blindgfan
Posts: 108
Joined: 13 Nov 2014 11:45

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#131 Post by blindgfan » 13 Feb 2015 04:42

Led Guardian wrote:
priderock wrote:I just don't get it... How it's possible someone not to rate ATEOT(the song) 10/10.... Yeah, it's not a song, people must realize that, it's a masterpiece in the full meaning of this word... Just give this piece a chance, guys.., please stop expecting something similar to what we knew and like...Seriously, I'm a little upset :) Btw, I want to rate again "Grand Parade" with 10/10
It's definitely different, and that's why I really want to like it. But honestly, I think it's at a 6/10 for me as well right now. The problem for me is that the melodies just don't do anything for me. Every time the music or vocal lines start heading in a direction that sounds like it's going to be awesome, it pulls back and becomes stilted. Also, they have a huge focus on the orchestra here, even to the extent that they wrote and recorded all the orchestra bits first, as I recall. But despite that, it has no room to breathe in the production. Most of the time I can't make out any discernible melody in the orchestra. It's just a wall of notes, washing around the song with no identity. Finally, there is a lack of build. I mean, how can it build? It's one big climax from beginning to end. Really, the most descriptive thing I can say is "This song needed more room to breathe."
Well, maybe it's because there was a lot of story material to put into lyrics. Would you feel better if they pulled The Wintersun and released BTRM part 1 instead of the full album?

Led Guardian
Posts: 2423
Joined: 26 Mar 2008 21:08
Location: Somewhere less cliché than far beyond

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#132 Post by Led Guardian » 13 Feb 2015 04:49

blindgfan wrote:Well, maybe it's because there was a lot of story material to put into lyrics. Would you feel better if they pulled The Wintersun and released BTRM part 1 instead of the full album?
Hmm? I'm just talking about the one song, At the Edge of Time. I don't have any issue with the lyrics, either.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

priderock
Posts: 174
Joined: 17 Jan 2015 12:45

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#133 Post by priderock » 13 Feb 2015 07:07

Yes, I agree with ErHaO, to me ATEOT(song) have one of the most clearest and placed "on top" Hansi's vocals on the album, but this is normall since the song is like an opera! And, maybe together with Wheel Of Time this is the most bombastic BG song to me, especially after the Nightfall album! What I can say is that I really hope to see more songs like this in one in the future - dominating orchestras, opera style, cinematic, epic, triumphal operatic vocals, giant chorus and everything together is like a victorious march!

Led Guardian
Posts: 2423
Joined: 26 Mar 2008 21:08
Location: Somewhere less cliché than far beyond

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#134 Post by Led Guardian » 13 Feb 2015 08:08

priderock wrote:Yes, I agree with ErHaO, to me ATEOT(song) have one of the most clearest and placed "on top" Hansi's vocals on the album, but this is normall since the song is like an opera! And, maybe together with Wheel Of Time this is the most bombastic BG song to me, especially after the Nightfall album! What I can say is that I really hope to see more songs like this in one in the future - dominating orchestras, opera style, cinematic, epic, triumphal operatic vocals, giant chorus and everything together is like a victorious march!
I don't mind the style if they'll tighten up the production and melodies/melodic progression.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

User avatar
Gandalf de Grijze
Posts: 13916
Joined: 16 Aug 2002 18:01
Location: Dutchielandia
Contact:

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#135 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 13 Feb 2015 10:35

Current standing:
The Ninth Wave 8.2/10
Twilight Of The Gods 7.0/10
Prophecies 8.6/10
At The Edge Of Time 8.5/10
Ashes Of Eternity 7.2/10
Distant Memories 8.6/10
The Holy Grail 8.8/10
The Throne 9.1/10
Sacred Mind 8.5/10
Miracle Machine 8.0/10
Grand Parade 8.6/10
Doom 7.8/10
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

User avatar
Dragonfly
Posts: 380
Joined: 29 Aug 2010 17:47
Location: Russia

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#136 Post by Dragonfly » 13 Feb 2015 12:16

Yay Ashes! It's such a kickass and catchy song, it deserves way more than just 7.2 out of 10!
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

User avatar
Angus
Posts: 118
Joined: 10 Dec 2010 21:17

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#137 Post by Angus » 13 Feb 2015 22:01

Ninth Wave 8
Twilight of the Gods 6.5
Prophecies 9
At the Edge of Time 9
Ashes of Eternity 5.5
Distant Memories 8
The Holy Grail 9
The Throne 8.5
Sacred Mind 7
Miracle Machine 5.5
Grand Parade 9
Doom 6

The album has a surprisingly high score on the Metal Archives with an average of 92% with 9 reviews.
Last edited by Angus on 25 Feb 2015 19:31, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Warmoth
Posts: 70
Joined: 05 Dec 2014 17:30
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#138 Post by Warmoth » 23 Feb 2015 00:29

Update, if changed, new rating in Green


The Ninth Wave 7/10 - 8.25/10
Twilight Of The Gods 7.5/10 -
Prophecies 8.5/10 - 8.75/10
At The Edge Of Time 9.5/10 - 9.25/10
Ashes Of Eternity 8/10 -
Distant Memories 9/10 - 8.75/10
The Holy Grail 8/10 -
The Throne 8.5/10 - 9/10
Sacred Mind 9/10 -
Miracle Machine 9.5/10 -
Grand Parade 9/10 -
Doom - 8/10 9/10

Led Guardian
Posts: 2423
Joined: 26 Mar 2008 21:08
Location: Somewhere less cliché than far beyond

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#139 Post by Led Guardian » 23 Feb 2015 03:35

Warmoth wrote:Update, if changed, new rating in Green


The Ninth Wave 7/10 - 8.25/10
Twilight Of The Gods 7.5/10 -
Prophecies 8.5/10 - 8.75/10
At The Edge Of Time 9.5/10 - 9.25/10
Ashes Of Eternity 8/10 -
Distant Memories 9/10 - 8.75/10
The Holy Grail 8/10 -
The Throne 8.5/10 - 9/10
Sacred Mind 9/10 -
Miracle Machine 9.5/10 -
Grand Parade 9/10 -
Doom - 8/10 9/10
So what's the difference in sound between an 8.5 and an 8.75? :P
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

User avatar
Warmoth
Posts: 70
Joined: 05 Dec 2014 17:30
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#140 Post by Warmoth » 23 Feb 2015 07:43

lol.

Well after repeated listens It got even better, but I didn't want to call it a 9 >.<

OmegaSlayer
Posts: 235
Joined: 14 Dec 2014 10:05

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#141 Post by OmegaSlayer » 23 Feb 2015 08:10

Angus wrote:Ninth Wave 8
Twilight of the Gods 6.5
Prophecies 9
At the Edge of Time 8.5
Ashes of Eternity 5.5
Distant Memories 8
The Holy Grail 9
Sacred Mind 7
Miracle Machine 5.5
Grand Parade 9
Doom 6

The album has a surprisingly high score on the Metal Archives with an average of 92% with 9 reviews.
You forgot The Throne :shock:

User avatar
Gandalf de Grijze
Posts: 13916
Joined: 16 Aug 2002 18:01
Location: Dutchielandia
Contact:

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#142 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 24 Feb 2015 16:42

Current standing:
The Ninth Wave 8.3/10
Twilight Of The Gods 7.0/10
Prophecies 8.6/10
At The Edge Of Time 8.5/10
Ashes Of Eternity 7.2/10
Distant Memories 8.6/10
The Holy Grail 8.8/10
The Throne 9.1/10
Sacred Mind 8.5/10
Miracle Machine 8.0/10
Grand Parade 8.6/10
Doom 7.7/10

OmegaSlayer wrote:
Angus wrote:Ninth Wave 8
Twilight of the Gods 6.5
Prophecies 9
At the Edge of Time 8.5
Ashes of Eternity 5.5
Distant Memories 8
The Holy Grail 9
Sacred Mind 7
Miracle Machine 5.5
Grand Parade 9
Doom 6

The album has a surprisingly high score on the Metal Archives with an average of 92% with 9 reviews.
You forgot The Throne :shock:
indeed!! please Angus, update your vote for The Throne.

All in all no huge changes, Doom seems to have gone down a bit again to a 7.7 and the average is still a 8.2 overall.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

User avatar
Angus
Posts: 118
Joined: 10 Dec 2010 21:17

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#143 Post by Angus » 25 Feb 2015 19:31

Oops! Just a second...

User avatar
Gandalf de Grijze
Posts: 13916
Joined: 16 Aug 2002 18:01
Location: Dutchielandia
Contact:

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#144 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 01 Mar 2015 20:53

Angus wrote:Oops! Just a second...
Added the vote, nothing changed in the average.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

T3hOverlord
Posts: 467
Joined: 02 Jul 2010 05:33

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#145 Post by T3hOverlord » 03 Mar 2015 06:10

Ninth wave: 6/10
Twilight of the gods: 7/10
Prophecies: 8/10
At The Edge of Time: 6/10
Ashes of eternity: 6.5/10
Distant Memories: 8/10
Holy Grail: 7/10
The Throne: 9/10
Sacred Mind: 6/10
Miracle Machine: 5/10
Grand Parade: 8.5/10
Doom: 10/10

To me, Doom is the first true "old school" song since Imaginations From The Other Side. Every other "old school" type song theyve made has always had modern elements, but Doom could have been ripped straight from Imaginations. It is a complete masterpiece and my favorite song on the album.

blindgfan
Posts: 108
Joined: 13 Nov 2014 11:45

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#146 Post by blindgfan » 03 Mar 2015 17:43

T3hOverlord wrote:Ninth wave: 6/10
Twilight of the gods: 7/10
Prophecies: 8/10
At The Edge of Time: 6/10
Ashes of eternity: 6.5/10
Distant Memories: 8/10
Holy Grail: 7/10
The Throne: 9/10
Sacred Mind: 6/10
Miracle Machine: 5/10
Grand Parade: 8.5/10
Doom: 10/10

To me, Doom is the first true "old school" song since Imaginations From The Other Side. Every other "old school" type song theyve made has always had modern elements, but Doom could have been ripped straight from Imaginations. It is a complete masterpiece and my favorite song on the album.
Well, it's the only song that doesn't have symphonic elements. So, it's easy to call it "old school".

T3hOverlord
Posts: 467
Joined: 02 Jul 2010 05:33

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#147 Post by T3hOverlord » 03 Mar 2015 22:21

blindgfan wrote:
T3hOverlord wrote:Ninth wave: 6/10
Twilight of the gods: 7/10
Prophecies: 8/10
At The Edge of Time: 6/10
Ashes of eternity: 6.5/10
Distant Memories: 8/10
Holy Grail: 7/10
The Throne: 9/10
Sacred Mind: 6/10
Miracle Machine: 5/10
Grand Parade: 8.5/10
Doom: 10/10

To me, Doom is the first true "old school" song since Imaginations From The Other Side. Every other "old school" type song theyve made has always had modern elements, but Doom could have been ripped straight from Imaginations. It is a complete masterpiece and my favorite song on the album.
Well, it's the only song that doesn't have symphonic elements. So, it's easy to call it "old school".
Im talking even Tanelorn, Voice in the Dark, Holy Grail, none of those could fit in with earlier albums. They are faser speed metal songs but they are still modern sounding in my opinion. Doom could have been written in 1995, again, in my opinion, and to me its one of the greatest songs they have put out in the last 15 years. Im blown away by it. Its sad to see no one else sees the genius I see in it.

blindgfan
Posts: 108
Joined: 13 Nov 2014 11:45

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#148 Post by blindgfan » 04 Mar 2015 00:23

T3hOverlord wrote:
blindgfan wrote:
T3hOverlord wrote:Ninth wave: 6/10
Twilight of the gods: 7/10
Prophecies: 8/10
At The Edge of Time: 6/10
Ashes of eternity: 6.5/10
Distant Memories: 8/10
Holy Grail: 7/10
The Throne: 9/10
Sacred Mind: 6/10
Miracle Machine: 5/10
Grand Parade: 8.5/10
Doom: 10/10

To me, Doom is the first true "old school" song since Imaginations From The Other Side. Every other "old school" type song theyve made has always had modern elements, but Doom could have been ripped straight from Imaginations. It is a complete masterpiece and my favorite song on the album.
Well, it's the only song that doesn't have symphonic elements. So, it's easy to call it "old school".
Im talking even Tanelorn, Voice in the Dark, Holy Grail, none of those could fit in with earlier albums. They are faser speed metal songs but they are still modern sounding in my opinion. Doom could have been written in 1995, again, in my opinion, and to me its one of the greatest songs they have put out in the last 15 years. Im blown away by it. Its sad to see no one else sees the genius I see in it.
I see the genius, don't worry. Which is why "old school" is less applicable here )

Led Guardian
Posts: 2423
Joined: 26 Mar 2008 21:08
Location: Somewhere less cliché than far beyond

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#149 Post by Led Guardian » 04 Mar 2015 02:03

T3hOverlord wrote:Im talking even Tanelorn, Voice in the Dark, Holy Grail, none of those could fit in with earlier albums. They are faser speed metal songs but they are still modern sounding in my opinion. Doom could have been written in 1995, again, in my opinion, and to me its one of the greatest songs they have put out in the last 15 years. Im blown away by it. Its sad to see no one else sees the genius I see in it.
Parts totally do. I still haven't gotten to hear Doom ( :x ) but a lot of parts in Holy Grail had me thinking, "Man, but for production this would fit right onto Follow the Blind."
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

OmegaSlayer
Posts: 235
Joined: 14 Dec 2014 10:05

Re: Rating all that is beyond the red mirror

#150 Post by OmegaSlayer » 04 Mar 2015 09:04

T3hOverlord wrote: Im talking even Tanelorn, Voice in the Dark, Holy Grail, none of those could fit in with earlier albums. They are faser speed metal songs but they are still modern sounding in my opinion. Doom could have been written in 1995, again, in my opinion, and to me its one of the greatest songs they have put out in the last 15 years. Im blown away by it. Its sad to see no one else sees the genius I see in it.
That's why I keep ranting that Hansi and André should really sit with Marcus...and Frederik ( :? ) to write songs and not just do everything by themselves.
I think BG has only to gain more "shapes and dimensions", by allowing other people to co-write.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest