BTRM song poll (make 3 choices)

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.

Your top 3 songs from Beyond the Red Mirror are:

The Ninth Wave
8%
Twilight Of The Gods
1%
Prophecies
13%
At The Edge Of Time
14%
Ashes Of Eternity
3%
Distant Memories
6%
The Holy Grail
14%
The Throne
14%
Sacred Mind
10%
Miracle Machine
4%
Grand Parade
11%

Total votes: 161

bestpike

BTRM song poll (make 3 choices)

#1 Post by bestpike » 26 Jan 2015 22:40

It's probably a bit early, but choose your 3 most favorite songs from the new album. Maybe later we can make a new poll, since it's probably too early, plus one song is still missing (Doom).
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Gandalf de Grijze

Re: BTRM song poll (make 3 choices)

#2 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 26 Jan 2015 22:46

difficult, as i would choose 4 songs, and I haven't listened to distant memories yet...
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

drummer88

#3 Post by drummer88 » 26 Jan 2015 23:08

I definitely cannot decide. I really love Distant Memories, Holy Grail, Grand Parade, Sacred Mind and The Throne. Distant Memories would be my top choice, but I couldn't choose from the other 4 songs.

OmegaSlayer

#4 Post by OmegaSlayer » 26 Jan 2015 23:29

The Throne, Distant Memories, Prophecy

ErHaO

#5 Post by ErHaO » 26 Jan 2015 23:43

So far Prophecies, Holy Grail and At The Edge of Time.

BRi7X

#6 Post by BRi7X » 27 Jan 2015 00:14

Prophecies, Holy Grail, Ashes of Eternity for sure for now....
Still giving this listens upon listens, but these are my go-to's. (I usually end up skipping Twilight of the Gods only because I've been listening to it for the past two months almost and therefore end up bypassing The Ninth Wave since TotG is right after it. )

When my BLUE shipping-was-almost-as-much-as-the-vinyl double vinyl arrives, I'll rip it at max quality and give a more confident answer for sure.

Also, sidebar, does anyone know what Charlie produces in? I shouldn't rip it at 96KHz if he masters at 48KHz, for example. Where can I possibly find that out?

edit: wow, his website is teh suck. :?
-Byronius Zedricks Septdicius Ativos, of Aldania, the blessed realm.

Facebook ; Last.fm

Feanor l'invincible

#7 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 27 Jan 2015 00:24

I picked only 2, I thought I would going to have the chance to add one later since I hesitate between "The Holy Grail" and "At The Edge of Time" ..
THE CURSE OF FEANOR RUNS LONG!

bestpike

#8 Post by bestpike » 27 Jan 2015 00:40

The Holy Grail is the bomb. I'm dying for the lyrics.
Forever to be free

ErHaO

#9 Post by ErHaO » 27 Jan 2015 00:58

BRi7X wrote:edit: wow, his website is teh suck. :?
Wow, it really is a thing of beauty :lol:

(http://sc-services.de/equipmentflow.htm)

Feanor l'invincible

#10 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 27 Jan 2015 01:07

bestpike wrote:The Holy Grail is the bomb. I'm dying for the lyrics.
IMO, both songs are bombs but in different registers.

As for the lyrics, last time I slept listening to the album and I dreamt of having the names of characters speaking every lyric line along with the lyrics, so the story makes perfect sense in the end.. (remember we had this for Road of No Release), but is there any chance we get that? :roll:
THE CURSE OF FEANOR RUNS LONG!

blindgfan

#11 Post by blindgfan » 27 Jan 2015 03:10

I am surprised to see the band's proclaimed "best song" near the bottom.

Ryu

#12 Post by Ryu » 27 Jan 2015 06:37

blindgfan wrote:I am surprised to see the band's proclaimed "best song" near the bottom.
It is a strange and disheartening fact that it isn't quite what they tout it to be, but each day I find it climbing in my personal list. Prophecies, The Holy Grail, and Grand Parade are my top three. Didn't even listen to Grand Parade much early on, the quality of the initial rip neutered the fuck out of it.
Defiant of destiny

Gandalf de Grijze

#13 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 27 Jan 2015 08:24

I guess it would be more representative if we rate songs with a grade from 1-10/10 with one decimal... then we can simply calculate averages, giving a better view of general likes...
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands

OmegaSlayer

#14 Post by OmegaSlayer » 27 Jan 2015 09:29

It doesn't surprise me, yet it worries me loads.
Last record the song BG were more proud of was Wheel Of Time which was the sng I liked less.
This time it's Grand Parade, which is the song I like less (actually not, I hate Ashes Of Eternity).

But honestly maybe I like Ashes more than Grand Parade.
While I found Grand Parade...pointless, I hate Ashes because it has the potential to be an insane song but I think BG put every ounce of strength they have to butchered it.
The André tremolo wankering at the beginning should be removed from history, the solo is bad, and the chorus is the worse piece of music BG wrote in their career.
The chorus alone kills the song for me which might have been a masterpiece.

Ryu

#15 Post by Ryu » 27 Jan 2015 10:21

OmegaSlayer wrote:It doesn't surprise me, yet it worries me loads.
Last record the song BG were more proud of was Wheel Of Time which was the sng I liked less.
This time it's Grand Parade, which is the song I like less (actually not, I hate Ashes Of Eternity).

While I found Grand Parade...pointless, I hate Ashes because it has the potential to be an insane song but I think BG put every ounce of strength they have to butchered it.
The André tremolo wankering at the beginning should be removed from history, the solo is bad, and the chorus is the worse piece of music BG wrote in their career.
Don't get me started on Ashes of Eternity. It doesn't belong in their discography.
Defiant of destiny

Dragonfly

#16 Post by Dragonfly » 27 Jan 2015 12:19

Ryu wrote:

Don't get me started on Ashes of Eternity. It doesn't belong in their discography.
I haven't heard anything from the new album apart from 'Twilight Of The Gods' but it hurts to see so much hate for 'Ashes Of Eternity'. I hope I'll like it when my copy arrives.
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

blindgfan

#17 Post by blindgfan » 27 Jan 2015 12:24

Ryu wrote:
blindgfan wrote:I am surprised to see the band's proclaimed "best song" near the bottom.
It is a strange and disheartening fact that it isn't quite what they tout it to be, but each day I find it climbing in my personal list. Prophecies, The Holy Grail, and Grand Parade are my top three. Didn't even listen to Grand Parade much early on, the quality of the initial rip neutered the fuck out of it.

What do you mean? Is there a better quality version out there now?

blindgfan

#18 Post by blindgfan » 27 Jan 2015 12:28

Why? The Grand Parade is awesome, much better than 9th wave with its "WTF" chorus. It's the "Curse my name"++ of this album!

ErHaO

#19 Post by ErHaO » 27 Jan 2015 12:43

I like Ashes of Eternity. But I can see why people do not like it. It is a bit more straightforward faster song, does not have many "epic" elements and the chorus strays from the usual BG formula; most lines are a non-overdubbed Hansi singing and no high notes or something like that. The chorus sounds more laid-back/less intense for a lack of better words. I think it is catchy and adds to the variety of the album though.

I still do not like the Throne all that much, which seems to be a favourite for many. There are parts that I do love, though and I think it is well written, but it just does not connect with me well.

I still have to see the lyrics, but I have a feeling Ninth Wave's chorus is upbeat because it is like a glimmer of hope within the story ("sail out till you reach the promised land, we await for a new tomorrow etc.") while the verses tell the situation as is, which is pretty bad (words like curses, dying, defeat are thrown in). But I have not really paid attention to the story as of now.

Dragonfly

#20 Post by Dragonfly » 27 Jan 2015 13:12

ErHaO wrote:I like Ashes of Eternity. But I can see why people do not like it. It is a bit more straightforward faster song, does not have many "epic" elements and the chorus strays from the usual BG formula; most lines are a non-overdubbed Hansi singing and no high notes or something like that. The chorus sounds more laid-back/less intense for a lack of better words. I think it is catchy and adds to the variety of the album though.
Hmmm, doesn't sound bad at all to me. A non-overdubbed chorus might be a welcome change on such an intense record. And I must say I like the title 'Ashes Of Eternity' quite a bit.

Gandalf de Grijze

#21 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 27 Jan 2015 13:31

I think that it is, together with TOTG the weakest songs on the album, still i love it over anything from the first three albums, and lots of stuff from the other albums as well..
it is by no means a bad song!

Avelar

#22 Post by Avelar » 27 Jan 2015 13:34

Ashes of Eternity is not a typical BG song. Is it bad? I don't think so and I encourage BG to do more new things. Stagnation and lack of novelty it the worst that may happen to this band.
Actually I like Ashes of Eternity more than Sacred Mind.
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.

bestpike

#23 Post by bestpike » 27 Jan 2015 14:48

It's kinda funny that Prophecies is so high. I mean, it's a fucking great song, one of the best of the album, however that stolen riff irks me a little bit. I guess it proves that fans don't mind about rehashing a little bit if the results are good.
Forever to be free

OmegaSlayer

#24 Post by OmegaSlayer » 27 Jan 2015 16:26

blindgfan wrote: Why? The Grand Parade is awesome, much better than 9th wave with its "WTF" chorus. It's the "Curse my name"++ of this album!
I don't like it, I don't like the "festival mood" of it, which is clearly intended and well executed, but I don't like it.
That doesn't mean I consider it a bad song, but just a song that doesn't give me interesting vibes.

@bestpike
I don't mind a good rehashing.
If rehashed ideas would irk you, you should stop listening BG because there's like a guitar pattern that I explained in another post that they use at least 2 or 3 times each album, but it's less evident.

What's surprising is that the bonus track is higher so far than some standard tracks.

Andreas

#25 Post by Andreas » 27 Jan 2015 17:25

bestpike wrote:It's kinda funny that Prophecies is so high. I mean, it's a fucking great song, one of the best of the album, however that stolen riff irks me a little bit. I guess it proves that fans don't mind about rehashing a little bit if the results are good.
Rehashing your own stuff isn't stealing :P

BRi7X

#26 Post by BRi7X » 27 Jan 2015 17:29

ErHaO wrote:I like Ashes of Eternity. But I can see why people do not like it. It is a bit more straightforward faster song, does not have many "epic" elements and the chorus strays from the usual BG formula; most lines are a non-overdubbed Hansi singing and no high notes or something like that. The chorus sounds more laid-back/less intense for a lack of better words. I think it is catchy and adds to the variety of the album though.

Ashes of Eternity, more specifically the choirs of Ashes of Eternity, are a part of the big reasons that I've been referring to this album as almost 'liturgical' and 'evangelical'.
-Byronius Zedricks Septdicius Ativos, of Aldania, the blessed realm.

Facebook ; Last.fm

vlssstv

#27 Post by vlssstv » 27 Jan 2015 17:36

I voted ashes, distant, and grand

wade-newb

#28 Post by wade-newb » 27 Jan 2015 17:38

BRi7X wrote:

Ashes of Eternity, more specifically the choirs of Ashes of Eternity, are a part of the big reasons that I've been referring to this album as almost 'liturgical' and 'evangelical'.
Definitely picked up on this too, there are heavy heavy religious themes. It seems most people brought up religious in some way identify a lot more with it in old age even if they pushed religion away. I recall Hansi used to say he was not very Christian at one point, then not at all at another, and now these Christian themes seem very strong. Interesting.
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

bard_92

#29 Post by bard_92 » 27 Jan 2015 18:15

wade-newb wrote:
BRi7X wrote:

Definitely picked up on this too, there are heavy heavy religious themes. It seems most people brought up religious in some way identify a lot more with it in old age even if they pushed religion away. I recall Hansi used to say he was not very Christian at one point, then not at all at another, and now these Christian themes seem very strong. Interesting.

That's very interesting! I know we all have different visions, while we're talking about our faith, but I'm really happy about the Christian aspects...But, would you please say what do you mean, and what's it's point the concept, cause I really can't follow the lyrics without their official releases...??? :?

Thanks in addition :)

Warmoth

#30 Post by Warmoth » 27 Jan 2015 18:18

This was tough, I really enjoy each song for their own reasons.

Miracle Machine
Sacred Mind
The Throne

Hansi ballads are instant wins for me.
I love the build up of Sacred Mind, and the Chorus might be my favorite on the album. (And they deliver it 4 times!)
The throne sounds like it belongs on "A night at the opera" The lead work really takes me back to that album

Warmoth

#31 Post by Warmoth » 27 Jan 2015 18:40

wade-newb wrote:
BRi7X wrote:

Without having the lyrics it's tough to say.
But I think in one of the interviews (I cannot find which one!) Hansi hinted that he may be retro-actively making "Imaginations" a full concept to pair with RTRM.
I think he said the boy in the story is actually King Arthur? If this is the case, it would definitely tie a lot of "Imaginations" songs together. Albeit, King Arthur in Hansi's own Fantasy realm.

"Imaginations from the Other Side" – 7:19 (Starring the "Mirror". Beyond the mirror is the fantasy land)
"I'm Alive" – 5:31 (This one is an odd one out, about the Death Gate cycle series...It's a stretch but dystopian kind of stuff?)
"A Past and Future Secret" – 3:48 (King Arthur is the subject of this one)
"The Script for My Requiem" – 6:09 (Some Holy grail elements, which has been part of Arthurian legend, some Crusades type stuff going on, religious aspects)
"Mordred's Song" – 5:29 (King Arthur's son)
"Born in a Mourning Hall" – 5:14 (This one's a little odd as well, but some strong dystopian elements in it.)
"Bright Eyes" – 5:16 (The first song with the Boy)
"Another Holy War" – 4:32 (Extremely religious one, About Jesus Christ, Strong Holy grail links)
"And the Story Ends" – 6:00 (Part 2 of bright eyes, will he jump through the mirror?)

I'm really anxious to see the Earbook and read all the lyrics.

Warmoth

#32 Post by Warmoth » 27 Jan 2015 21:53

I found that interview.
I may have been thinking too hard about what he said. .

http://youtu.be/w8ZWkw2o4x0?t=12m53s
12:53 seconds is when he mentions it

wade-newb

#33 Post by wade-newb » 28 Jan 2015 04:16

To me, however, as far as I can gather from the words without the lyric sheet is that the Christian themes in BTRM are woven in, accepted almost, whereas in IFTOS, they were heavily critical of preachers and moneymaking, things like that. Which I prefer, but I must admit the music in BTRM is much more to my current preference. It may be that the Arthurian legend influence on the story necessitates Christian themes, but again, they seem much more inoffensive to Hansi this time around. Lots of stuff about Saints, souls, ends of lives (Prophecies - does he say "seems like a sermon or summon? Hard to tell with the accent).
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

Zhuge Liang

#34 Post by Zhuge Liang » 28 Jan 2015 06:35

Of course there are religious overtones, and it shouldn't be surprising to anyone. The character is referred to as "The Savior" on many occasions and as a "sacrificial king" in Distant Memories. People are going to bring up more similarities with Christ, I'm sure, but we won't know how similar it is until we see lyrics. I mean, the story of Christ is one of the most common/copied stories in the history of literature.
"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." -Zhuge Liang

bard_92

#35 Post by bard_92 » 28 Jan 2015 15:57

Ok, thank you!!! It seems that once again we just needs our precious copies in our hands :)

Dragonfly

#36 Post by Dragonfly » 28 Jan 2015 16:29

Frankly speaking, I could totally do without religion on this album...

Gandalf de Grijze

#37 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 28 Jan 2015 16:51

I honestly don't care if there is religion or not in the lyrical themes...

Andreas

#38 Post by Andreas » 28 Jan 2015 17:10

Yes, I don't get why people don't get so bent out of shape about that.

Warmoth

#39 Post by Warmoth » 28 Jan 2015 17:52

To be honest, they often write songs about fantasy stories so....

ErHaO

#40 Post by ErHaO » 28 Jan 2015 18:12

It is kind of their own Arthurian legend with the quest for the holy grail and the rise/demise of gods, so offcourse there are themes of religion(s) present (in the case of the story it is not really religion though, it is their own fantasy concept). I do not think this is Christian at all, but more common theme's and familiar elements so that we can relate to the setting of the concept.

Andreas

#41 Post by Andreas » 28 Jan 2015 18:19

Indeed, it's not as if Blind Guardian suddenly becomes one of the forefighters of christianity all of a sudden.
Warmoth wrote:To be honest, they often write songs about fantasy stories so....
Even if you're not religious, you should see the difference between fantasy and religion. But that's a whole other discussion.

JazzJackrabbit

#42 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 28 Jan 2015 18:26

They've had religious/Christian themed songs since the first album. Nothing new there.

bestpike

#43 Post by bestpike » 28 Jan 2015 20:01

Who would have thought that I would hold The Holy Grail? That lyric is so powerfully conveyed by Hansi's voice, it resonates deeply. Generally achieving things no one expected from you.
Forever to be free

ICBM

#44 Post by ICBM » 28 Jan 2015 23:37

I’ve only listened to the album leak (with the bonus track) a couple of times. I want it to still feel fresh when I can listen properly with perfect sound, lyrics etc. My favourite tracks right now are The Ninth Wave, At the Edge of Time and The Throne. Grand Parade is certainly a grower and might very well end up being my favourite song after more listens. The whole album is fantastic either way. The only track I don’t love is Ashes of Eternity. It's quite close to the material on ATITM, which in my opinion is their weakest album.

Interesting results in this poll so far. Twilight is considered the weakest track by this board? I wonder if the band would have chosen a different single in retrospective if they had seen this… hehe.

bestpike

#45 Post by bestpike » 29 Jan 2015 00:12

ICBM wrote:I’ve only listened to the album leak (with the bonus track) a couple of times. I want it to still feel fresh when I can listen properly with perfect sound, lyrics etc. My favourite tracks right now are The Ninth Wave, At the Edge of Time and The Throne. Grand Parade is certainly a grower and might very well end up being my favourite song after more listens. The whole album is fantastic either way. The only track I don’t love is Ashes of Eternity. It's quite close to the material on ATITM, which in my opinion is their weakest album.

Interesting results in this poll so far. Twilight is considered the weakest track by this board? I wonder if the band would have chosen a different single in retrospective if they had seen this… hehe.

It was a brilliant choice I think. It put the expectations so low for me that the rest of the album shined even brighter.
Forever to be free

Gandalf de Grijze

#46 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 29 Jan 2015 00:35

I quite eexpected it to be the weakest song on the allbum, they did the same with ATEOT & AVITD

JazzJackrabbit

#47 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 29 Jan 2015 00:40

Granted I have not listened to the album yet but it makes me wonder if there was some pressure from Nuclear Blast to include a "first single-y" type song.

ICBM

#48 Post by ICBM » 29 Jan 2015 00:41

bestpike wrote:It was a brilliant choice I think. It put the expectations so low for me that the rest of the album shined even brighter.
Good point :). Still, BG have been playing in smaller areas than before in many parts of the world these past 10-15 years. It would be a good thing to recruit as many new fans as possible. I was about 12 years old when I got into the band, but I'm not sure a song like that would have convinced me the way Nightfall did back then. Especially not if it had been accompanied by a "lyric video". The new generation may have a shorter attention span due to the internet and technology in general, but it would still probably benefit the bands sales and concert attendance to choose the best song for the single. Because a LOT more people will hear that than any other song from the album, even if it's not played on the radio.

Zhuge Liang

#49 Post by Zhuge Liang » 29 Jan 2015 02:35

Dragonfly wrote:Frankly speaking, I could totally do without religion on this album...
Religion is okay, especially as their own theme in their own way like others have mentioned. What I'm worried about is people dumbing down BG's ideas to fit their own religious beliefs. "oh it's about a savior of mankind, just like Christianity, I love this album!!" Stuff like that. I'm hesitant to listen to the album with a couple friends of mine for fear that they might do this. But like I said, depends entirely on the lyrics.
"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." -Zhuge Liang

Rokubota

#50 Post by Rokubota » 29 Jan 2015 03:05

At the edge of time, Grand Parade and The Throne could be my number one depending of my mood and have the same level of genius songwriting IMO. Twilight of the Gods is a mediocre song in an album with a lot of killer tracks, poor song is like a kid being bullied in the school xd.