'BEYOND THE RED MIRROR'- Your Reviews

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
priderock

Re: 'BEYOND THE RED MIRROR'- Your Reviews

#151 Post by priderock » 09 Feb 2015 21:55

TheMetalPigeon wrote:Hi guys, used to post here a long long time ago under a different name but have been a longtime lurker since. I figured I'd contribute my review to this thread in order to break my lengthy silence. I write a small metal opinion/commentary blog and I'll just throw out the link to my review there, hope that's cool. Thanks!

http://themetalpigeon.com/2015/02/05/bl ... ed-mirror/

Interesting review!!! Thanks for sharing it.., and breaking your silence :)

Led Guardian

#152 Post by Led Guardian » 10 Feb 2015 01:04

blindgfan wrote:
Hylirion wrote:A bit sad but the album sounds quite muddy. Like there is so little instrument separation and the soundstage is so condensed. Didn't like it very much the first listen, only really instantly great thing was the Nine Waves intro which is awesome no matter what. Nearly every song on the album is very busy, which just makes me sad that it's so hard to place the different instruments/voices, it's a huge wall of sound hitting you with too little definition.

Album gets way better with several listens as you get to understand the song structures and get to appreciate the details in each song more. I hated twilight of the gods at first but even starting to like that song as well :). Distant Memories is my favourite so far, kind of strange for a bonus track :P. Also a big fan of Sacred Mind. All in all the songs themselves are great. But I wish the sound was done differently, i think it would be way more accessible that way. Plus when you use so much stuff in a song it should sound very wide not condensed. What's the use of adding layers when you can't discern them from eachother... The drums miss their punch as well.

So... great songs, not so great sound quality.
I know the feeling about TOTG. After hearing that annoying slow part in the middle of each verse of Ninth Wave, you get to appreciate TOTG more and more )
:o I love those parts! So ominous and groovy, with a nice meaty low end/bass. I agree on TOTG too though. It keeps growing on me.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

blindgfan

#153 Post by blindgfan » 10 Feb 2015 02:28

Led Guardian wrote:
blindgfan wrote:
Hylirion wrote:A bit sad but the album sounds quite muddy. Like there is so little instrument separation and the soundstage is so condensed. Didn't like it very much the first listen, only really instantly great thing was the Nine Waves intro which is awesome no matter what. Nearly every song on the album is very busy, which just makes me sad that it's so hard to place the different instruments/voices, it's a huge wall of sound hitting you with too little definition.

Album gets way better with several listens as you get to understand the song structures and get to appreciate the details in each song more. I hated twilight of the gods at first but even starting to like that song as well :). Distant Memories is my favourite so far, kind of strange for a bonus track :P. Also a big fan of Sacred Mind. All in all the songs themselves are great. But I wish the sound was done differently, i think it would be way more accessible that way. Plus when you use so much stuff in a song it should sound very wide not condensed. What's the use of adding layers when you can't discern them from eachother... The drums miss their punch as well.

So... great songs, not so great sound quality.
I know the feeling about TOTG. After hearing that annoying slow part in the middle of each verse of Ninth Wave, you get to appreciate TOTG more and more )
:o I love those parts! So ominous and groovy, with a nice meaty low end/bass. I agree on TOTG too though. It keeps growing on me.
Correction: only second and third verse. First is fine.

Pilgrim

#154 Post by Pilgrim » 23 Feb 2015 13:03

t.a.j. wrote:When considering the mix, one should keep in mind that what comes out of the production onto the medium is only the base which produces the final sound that you hear only through whatever audio equipment you use. Equalizers, presets, the qualities of speakers and headphones, even the acoustics of the room your in will influence what you hear.
I partially disagree with this. Regarding presets and equalizers mainly.
The only way I use EQ it's to decrease levels of a range of frequencies, eg. to remove a little bit of bass or correct extreme brightness. I do not increase level because this causes distortions when cranking up the volume. Also, it's not pratical to use. You would need EQ presets for each different album to make it work in an acceptable way. And they do nothing with the dynamics range compression.

While I agree that the quality of your sound equipment will influence your experience, no speaker and equipment setup can make a bad recording sound good. Sound quality is first and foremost guaranteed by the recording, mixing and mastering. No amount of money spent on hifi systems can change that. Just listen to Opeth's new album, Pale Communion. It sounds acceptable even in low end speakers.

blind-man

#155 Post by blind-man » 23 Feb 2015 18:23

Pilgrim wrote:You would need EQ presets for each different album to make it work in an acceptable way.
Wait, you don't do that!? :D I have different EQ presents for each BG album.

I'd have to agree that Beyond the Red Mirror's sound quality is not exactly stellar. At the Edge of Time was definitely better.
Orodaran wrote:I don't need to look metal in my looks because I am metal in my heart 8)

OmegaSlayer

#156 Post by OmegaSlayer » 23 Feb 2015 20:40

Mixing with EQ is something that is just subjective.
Some likes more meaty bass frequencies over sound brightness, etc... etc...
You can't radically change the sound of guitars or drums, just try to make something you like pop up a little more.
Honestly I don't change EQ levels, I set them on a record that is recorded almost perfectly (Dream Theater's Image And Words imho) and listen everything with that levels, as I will get the ideal fusion of the frequencies I enjoy more and the sound the band was willing to offer.

Mahoora

#157 Post by Mahoora » 25 Feb 2015 13:57

Man, I didn't post here in ages! I even had to change my location a bit!!

I intentionally didn't post my review right away because I wanted this album to sink in. I didn't want to make any judgement based on initial hearings but now after about 3 weeks of the release. I'm happy to review it

Beyond the Red Mirror is a great album! like some of few mentioned earlier. Blind Guardian has grown and matured musically and personally and I' changed too. I first listened to BG when I was 12 and I was an angry teenager looking for speed and heaviness and I found just that in albums like Nightfall and Imaginations. throughout the years, I've grown and BG have grown with me. through the bombastic Grand ANATO, all the way into the modern progressive ATITM and of course the old/new ATEOT. and I loved every one of these albums because they meant something to me. I was no longer the teenager but rather an adult with a great passion for classic rock, progressive rock, jazz and classical music so listening to BG growing into other types of metal while maintaining their integrity was and still is amazing.

Going back to Beyond the Red Mirror. I just love it! It is a masterpiece! the symphonic approach is completely fresh and awesome! the moments of beauty and magic in each and every song is breathtaking. and the lyrics are great story telling at its peak!

of course like most of you I find the At the Edge of Time and The Grand Parade so damn epic. I also a huge fan of Ashes of Eternity even though I'm into speedy songs. I like it because there's a good vibe about it. fresh and bombastic!

I'm also in love with Distant Memories! like hansi said, it's the most beautiful song Bg have ever made. it almost brings a tear to my eye every time I listen to it.

One cannot of course hide his fondness of the lyrics and the story telling. for example when Twilight of the Gods was released I just thought that it's a real good song but after the album and putting it in the order of the story, it turned to be a masterpiece. thinking about the emotions and the context of this song in terms of the story just gives it a deeper appreciation. way to go Hansi :D

Another important factor why I highly regard this record is the fact that even in songs that I don't appreciate much there's some magical great moments! there's no weak songs in this album I think, which is a huge advantage. 8)

In terms of production. I think Charlie did a great job on this one. I really love the guitars and Bass sounds (more pronounced bass this time yeeahh!) but I think the drums sound especially the snare is not good nor natural. the symbals sound is good but I think the snares can be a point to improve on in the future (I play drums so that's why I pay extra attention)

And last but not least. Holy shit! I thought that ATEOT artwork could not be topped but how mistaken I was! Beyond the Red Mirror art work (the ear book edition at least) is fucking amazing! nice job Felipe!

So there you go. my overall review of the album and my first post in ages! hope to be more active in the forum again!
All those plans and hopes and dreams what happens to them? it's only a handfull of the lucky ones who can look back and say that they even came close.
You can't take it with you. act III,scene I

priderock

#158 Post by priderock » 25 Feb 2015 15:13

Mahoora wrote:Man, I didn't post here in ages! I even had to change my location a bit!!

I intentionally didn't post my review right away because I wanted this album to sink in. I didn't want to make any judgement based on initial hearings but now after about 3 weeks of the release. I'm happy to review it

Beyond the Red Mirror is a great album! like some of few mentioned earlier. Blind Guardian has grown and matured musically and personally and I' changed too. I first listened to BG when I was 12 and I was an angry teenager looking for speed and heaviness and I found just that in albums like Nightfall and Imaginations. throughout the years, I've grown and BG have grown with me. through the bombastic Grand ANATO, all the way into the modern progressive ATITM and of course the old/new ATEOT. and I loved every one of these albums because they meant something to me. I was no longer the teenager but rather an adult with a great passion for classic rock, progressive rock, jazz and classical music so listening to BG growing into other types of metal while maintaining their integrity was and still is amazing.

Going back to Beyond the Red Mirror. I just love it! It is a masterpiece! the symphonic approach is completely fresh and awesome! the moments of beauty and magic in each and every song is breathtaking. and the lyrics are great story telling at its peak!

of course like most of you I find the At the Edge of Time and The Grand Parade so damn epic. I also a huge fan of Ashes of Eternity even though I'm into speedy songs. I like it because there's a good vibe about it. fresh and bombastic!

I'm also in love with Distant Memories! like hansi said, it's the most beautiful song Bg have ever made. it almost brings a tear to my eye every time I listen to it.

One cannot of course hide his fondness of the lyrics and the story telling. for example when Twilight of the Gods was released I just thought that it's a real good song but after the album and putting it in the order of the story, it turned to be a masterpiece. thinking about the emotions and the context of this song in terms of the story just gives it a deeper appreciation. way to go Hansi :D

Another important factor why I highly regard this record is the fact that even in songs that I don't appreciate much there's some magical great moments! there's no weak songs in this album I think, which is a huge advantage. 8)

In terms of production. I think Charlie did a great job on this one. I really love the guitars and Bass sounds (more pronounced bass this time yeeahh!) but I think the drums sound especially the snare is not good nor natural. the symbals sound is good but I think the snares can be a point to improve on in the future (I play drums so that's why I pay extra attention)

And last but not least. Holy shit! I thought that ATEOT artwork could not be topped but how mistaken I was! Beyond the Red Mirror art work (the ear book edition at least) is fucking amazing! nice job Felipe!

So there you go. my overall review of the album and my first post in ages! hope to be more active in the forum again!

Great review, thank you!!! Most of the things written in it are exactly my thoughts!!! About TOTG song - I feel absolutely the same!!! It's like a mini theatrical stage play! I like it :)

DREAMASTER

#159 Post by DREAMASTER » 16 Apr 2015 21:03

They should take a listen to the new Nighwish album and take notes. The album has a very good production that blends very well the usual band instruments with the orchestras and choirs. And every instruments sound fine.
Behold the sword of power... Excalibur
Forged when the world was young
and bird and beast and flower were one with Man,
and Death was but a DREAM!!!

JazzJackrabbit

#160 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 16 Apr 2015 21:17

DREAMASTER wrote:They should take a listen to the new Nighwish album and take notes. The album has a very good production that blends very well the usual band instruments with the orchestras and choirs. And every instruments sound fine.
Production is the only thing it does better than BTRM. Don't get me wrong, I like the album but it's as standard as it gets for Nightwish.

Gandalf de Grijze

#161 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 16 Apr 2015 21:37

JazzJackrabbit wrote:
DREAMASTER wrote:They should take a listen to the new Nighwish album and take notes. The album has a very good production that blends very well the usual band instruments with the orchestras and choirs. And every instruments sound fine.
Production is the only thing it does better than BTRM. Don't get me wrong, I like the album but it's as standard as it gets for Nightwish.
Well, them having a good vocalist now makes the album quite possibly the best they have done...
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Led Guardian

#162 Post by Led Guardian » 16 Apr 2015 22:10

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:
JazzJackrabbit wrote:
Well, them having a good vocalist now makes the album quite possibly the best they have done...
I wish I liked Nightwish, because I love Floor's voice. Best female vocalist in metal, imo.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Gandalf de Grijze

#163 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 16 Apr 2015 22:14

best and most versatile (or should i say in part because she's the most versatile)
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands

DREAMASTER

#164 Post by DREAMASTER » 16 Apr 2015 23:37

JazzJackrabbit wrote:

Well aside if the new songs are better or not, my problem with BG albums production comes from the day that Charlie Bauerfiend became BG producer and began to do the mixing and mastering job too. Most of his work on other bands albums where he also does the mixing and mastering is also dreadful.

With new technologies in audio recording, mixing and mastering, there's no excuse for BG new album have such terrible production. The band instruments don't blend very well with the orchestras and choirs. The balance between all the instruments is a mess. It varies throughout all the album. Again the band instrument that suffers the most from Charlie bad job is the Drums. It's the worst drums sound I ever listened in a BG album.
For me the album could been so much better with a proper and better mixing and mastering job. I still can't believe that the band that always have the maximum quality in mind, thought the album production was acceptable for release.

priderock

#165 Post by priderock » 17 Apr 2015 04:32

I cannot believe that someone will prefer whatever it is from the new Nightwish album.... With all my respect, but Nightwish is just sooo overrrated as a band, even that I like 4-5 of their songs...

DREAMASTER

#166 Post by DREAMASTER » 17 Apr 2015 12:25

Did you even read what I wrote?!

priderock

#167 Post by priderock » 17 Apr 2015 14:13

It has nothing to do with your comment.., I just expressed my disappointment from their newest work and their overhelming reputation ;)

JazzJackrabbit

#168 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 17 Apr 2015 14:56

DREAMASTER wrote:
JazzJackrabbit wrote:

Well aside if the new songs are better or not, my problem with BG albums production comes from the day that Charlie Bauerfiend became BG producer and began to do the mixing and mastering job too. Most of his work on other bands albums where he also does the mixing and mastering is also dreadful.

With new technologies in audio recording, mixing and mastering, there's no excuse for BG new album have such terrible production. The band instruments don't blend very well with the orchestras and choirs. The balance between all the instruments is a mess. It varies throughout all the album. Again the band instrument that suffers the most from Charlie bad job is the Drums. It's the worst drums sound I ever listened in a BG album.
For me the album could been so much better with a proper and better mixing and mastering job. I still can't believe that the band that always have the maximum quality in mind, thought the album production was acceptable for release.
Oh yeah, I agree completely with you on that.

DREAMASTER

#169 Post by DREAMASTER » 17 Apr 2015 16:30

priderock wrote:It has nothing to do with your comment.., I just expressed my disappointment from their newest work and their overhelming reputation ;)

Ah ok.

Because my point here is only focus in the album Production (mixing & mastering).

Max

#170 Post by Max » 07 May 2015 11:46

Hi there,

as usual I needed some time to get completely into the album in order to write a personal review.

At first, I pre-ordered TOTG and BTRM.
After listening TOTG I was wondering if I did well by pre-ordering the album...
This song, the ABBA-sounding-parts in "Sacred Mind" and grande parade - i don't feel comfortable when hearing them.

Anyway, back to business:

BTRM is one of these albums that I can listen to in a complete session from beginning to the end (only the earbook edition with "Doom" as closer).
Very good singing by Hansi, the choir(s) is fitting very well (there should be a festival where the crowd is singing the parts of the choir).
The guitars have nice instrumental parts. The drums are providing a good basis for the songs.

The mixing is a lot better than the "A Memories of a Time to Come"-Mixes of the old songs. The drums sound more realistic (not electric or keayboard style).
(note: I am no musician, no producer, nor do I have any knowledge of those things - just my personal feeling)
ATITM was more "soft rock"(if it is the correct word for "Kuschelrock").

Personally I like the most "Prophecies", "At the edge of Time" and "Ashes of Eternity" because the flow of the story and the music is the best when listening the album at once.
"The 9th Wave", "At the edge of Time" (and "Sacred" from ATEOT) are awesome tracks. I would prefer a orchestral album in that style (maybe in stylistic combination with FT orchestral versions).

To summarize, much better than ATEOT (the only album I did not buy) and ATITM.
Only thing I would adjust for my personal taste is to change the mixing to a more rough sound.

I would say coequal with the anything before 2006. And I love that they continued the story from IFTOS (I would like some more lyrics about Tolkiens' stories(pre- or sequel to silmarillion)).
Follow the blind
Your journey, your last hope, it can begin
These passing dreams were real no fantasy
There are more things than we know
Come take my hand

priderock

#171 Post by priderock » 19 May 2015 23:10

So, 4 months later, what I can say is that even my big obsession to NIME, ANATO and ATEOT - BTRM easly becomes my favourite Blind Guardian album!!! Why? Because almost everything I wanted to hear from this group is just here:
- triumphal classical exploding opening that makes everything looks small..
- complex compositions
- operatic and theatrical soundings and compositions
- theatrical and giant operatic vocal lines(especially from Kursch)
- long songs
- epic and soundtrack styled songs
- original ideas
- with the time you can discover thousands of things in the songs...

I can really write a lot more, but that's the main to me!
In my personal opinion - the bards had surpassed themselves...

And I would rate the songs this way, starting from my most favourite one:

1. At The Edge Of Time
2. Grand Parade
3. The Throne
4. The Ninth Wave
5. The Holy Grail
6. Prophecies
7. Miracle Machine
8. Distant Memories
9. Sacred Mind
10. Twilight Of The Gods
11. Ashes Of Eternety
Last edited by priderock on 20 May 2015 05:56, edited 1 time in total.

Led Guardian

#172 Post by Led Guardian » 20 May 2015 00:03

Max wrote:Hi there,
This song, the ABBA-sounding-parts in "Sacred Mind" and grande parade - i don't feel comfortable when hearing them.
:| I don't see it. Especially not Sacred Mind. How so?

Max

#173 Post by Max » 22 May 2015 17:25

Hey there, I meant the parts in sacred mind, where the choir sings Xanadu. It always reminds me of ABBA's waterloo...

concerning Grand Parade, I meant that I don't get into the song - maybe after some more time...
Follow the blind
Come take my hand

Led Guardian

#174 Post by Led Guardian » 23 May 2015 08:10

Max wrote:Hey there, I meant the parts in sacred mind, where the choir sings Xanadu. It always reminds me of ABBA's waterloo...

concerning Grand Parade, I meant that I don't get into the song - maybe after some more time...
Hmm. Other than they both have 3 syllables and rhyme, I still don't hear it. But whatever, if you don't like it, it doesn't really matter why.

Infernal Lord

#175 Post by Infernal Lord » 23 May 2015 21:01

Led Guardian wrote:
Max wrote:Hey there, I meant the parts in sacred mind, where the choir sings Xanadu. It always reminds me of ABBA's waterloo...

Hmm. Other than they both have 3 syllables and rhyme, I still don't hear it. But whatever, if you don't like it, it doesn't really matter why.
I'm with Led on this one. 'Sacred Mind' is one of the two best tracks on the album in my opinion (after / with 'Prophecies'). I'll confess I found the chorus a little strange or even off-putting on the first couple of listens but actually I put that down to the fact that I listened to the album in its entirety the first four times-or-so on just my iPhone speaker because I was at work when I downloaded it (on the day of release) and couldn't wait to get home to a decent stereo to listen to it. The song ['Sacred Mind'] really came into its own as soon as I heard it cranked up through my Bose...!

Anyway, I know music is very subjective but I REALLY don't see a comparison to ABBA... :?
The Nine sing
Once upon a dream ago
We're the ones you've left alone

Ryu

#176 Post by Ryu » 23 May 2015 21:13

There is something unmistakable and novel to the layering aesthetic of BG's vocals, and when he says there is an ABBA-esque quality to certain lines, it got me thinking. I've played BG around plenty of people who are strictly pop/alternative fans, people who have hated all other power/melodic metal they've heard, but could not deny the infectious/lasting nature of their songs. The person I'm dating in particular is a non-metal fan to an extreme but has said Prophecies is catchier than anything you can hear on hits stations. Perhaps it's the touch of The Choir Company, perhaps it's the sheer inimitability of Hansi, perhaps it's the production. But there is an undeniably pop-y, hook oriented feel to things at times. Tanelorn also comes to mind in terms of choruses my pop-friends get in to.
Defiant of destiny

brazilian_bard

#177 Post by brazilian_bard » 10 Jun 2015 21:16

blind-man wrote:
Pilgrim wrote:You would need EQ presets for each different album to make it work in an acceptable way.
Wait, you don't do that!? :D I have different EQ presents for each BG album.
Definitely, necessary. 8)

Now. I'm happy to realize, in a few replies I've partially read, that I'm not the only one who found this album a little bit, why not to say, a little strange. Until now, I just can say that the songs 'The Ninth Wave', 'Twilight of the Gods' and 'The Holy Grail' (specially this last one) where the album songs that I could more 'dive' into.
And it took me a few weeks to dive into the first 2. The Holy Grail was true love at the first listen, but I was expecting this to happen on all songs. Was not the case.

I've been listening to the whole album since it's release, because I don't want to stay in the show here in Rio in october and don't recognize a song. But I must confess, this album maybe the most hard to understand, for me. I just can't find the big choruses. Where they are? Someone said here the choruses don't match the song's intro and development, and I totally agree. In the other hand, as a musician, I completely understand that music must evolve. Maybe they wanted to make something new. It's hard to talk about this, specially if what you always did worked well. Some bands stay their whole career in their musical confort zone, other bands float in different styles, as the years go by.

Maybe I just need more time, like I did when ANATO was released. But I really can't dive into all that album songs too, in oposite to all other Blind Guardian albums. I must say, ATEOT was one of the most amazing albums I've ever heard in my life. Except for 'Ride into Obsession', this album is all the way fucking awesome.

I'm thinking that it must not be easy writing an amazing album, after writing 9 or 10 amazing albums!
Last edited by brazilian_bard on 11 Jun 2015 16:23, edited 2 times in total.

Ryu

#178 Post by Ryu » 10 Jun 2015 22:31

I don't know, man. "Prophecies" and "Grand Parade" have some of the catchiest and biggest choruses of theirs in their history.

Though Ashes of Eternity's is one of the weakest, comparatively, and Distant Memories' isn't what I'd call catchy or big. And At the Edge of Time's chorus is almost *too* big. Still, Prophecies, Grand Parade, Sacred Mind? Do nothing for you?
Defiant of destiny

t.a.j.

#179 Post by t.a.j. » 14 Jun 2015 16:20

Pilgrim wrote:no speaker and equipment setup can make a bad recording sound good
But they can easily make a good recording sound bad.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

priderock

#180 Post by priderock » 14 Jun 2015 17:26

Exactly, but that's not the case here. The good equipment just makes this album wayyyy better.., just like At The Edge Of Time album ! And I like that.

brazilian_bard

#181 Post by brazilian_bard » 19 Jun 2015 18:10

Ryu wrote:I don't know, man. "Prophecies" and "Grand Parade" have some of the catchiest and biggest choruses of theirs in their history.
Though Ashes of Eternity's is one of the weakest, comparatively, and Distant Memories' isn't what I'd call catchy or big. And At the Edge of Time's chorus is almost *too* big. Still, Prophecies, Grand Parade, Sacred Mind? Do nothing for you?

Gimme more time, I'll answer you... :wink:

For now, anyone knows where I can find the "The Ninth Wave" intro lyrics?

All the lyrics I've found on the internet already begins at "As dark night embraces"

Max

#182 Post by Max » 13 Jul 2015 09:07

Infernal Lord wrote:
Led Guardian wrote:

I'm with Led on this one. 'Sacred Mind' is one of the two best tracks on the album in my opinion (after / with 'Prophecies'). I'll confess I found the chorus a little strange or even off-putting on the first couple of listens but actually I put that down to the fact that I listened to the album in its entirety the first four times-or-so on just my iPhone speaker because I was at work when I downloaded it (on the day of release) and couldn't wait to get home to a decent stereo to listen to it. The song ['Sacred Mind'] really came into its own as soon as I heard it cranked up through my Bose...!

Anyway, I know music is very subjective but I REALLY don't see a comparison to ABBA... :?
I am enlighted now ...!
I cannot explain how I have heard anything like ABBA in there !? Now it is just awesome ! Though still a little pop'ish during chorus.
Actually, I am sure now: BTRM = NiME 2.0

It was too early to rate it - I guess.
(Since for ANATO it took me even longer to discover the brilliance.)
Follow the blind
Come take my hand

brazilian_bard

#183 Post by brazilian_bard » 28 Jul 2015 15:37

brazilian_bard wrote:
Ryu wrote:I don't know, man. "Prophecies" and "Grand Parade" have some of the catchiest and biggest choruses of theirs in their history.

Gimme more time, I'll answer you... :wink:

For now, anyone knows where I can find the "The Ninth Wave" intro lyrics?

All the lyrics I've found on the internet already begins at "As dark night embraces"
Nothing about the Ninth Wave intro lyrics, huh? :? This song is nice, but that chorus... I don't know. Maybe alive.

Well, what I can say now after listening more the album, is: I like more "Prophecies" song now, it's chorus remains me the ATITM bside. Probably, the "Lion Heart" song. I think it's strange but cool at the same time. A good song. :mrgreen:

I like MUCH more "Twilight of the Gods" now. What an awesome intro they made. I feel it's a song only truly BG fans will understand and enjoy it's complexity, although the chorus it's easy to memorize and "comes soon", if you know what I mean.

"The Throne" is an awesome song too. Probably, one of the album's best. I can listen to the entire song without wanting pass to the next.

Yeah, "Sacred Mind" its an awesome song too. Full of ambience and mistery, and beauty. The abrupt change in "fire" was terrific.
I like and I don't like the chorus, like it's melody, but strange at the same time. I am not convinced by that voicing...

One of the songs I liked the first time I've listened was "Ashes of Eternity", it's heavy and fast, and I like it. It remains me a bit of "Curse of Feanor", and again, the same ATITM bside feeling, specially in the chorus. Am I too much high? :lol:

It will be awesome to see these guys here in Rio, just can't wait \m/ :)

brazilian_bard

#184 Post by brazilian_bard » 10 Aug 2015 19:49

Update: I just wanted to say, I've just listened to "Grand Parade" now, and for the first time I was able to enjoy the song. It played by itself on a random playlist, I wasn't expecting and I didn't know it was the song, but at some point I said, "wait, this song is amazing, which one is this?" and when I open my phone to check the song name, it was there.

Ps: Nightfall[2011 remix] just started playing. A good remix, but the original is better.
Last edited by brazilian_bard on 25 Feb 2016 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

Drahcir

#185 Post by Drahcir » 11 Oct 2015 07:06

Dense album. It took me a few listens to get into it, but now I can't stop listening to this album. It has a dark, powerful grandiose and majestic atmosphere. I'm glad they did a sequel to Imaginations from the Other Side since it is one of my favorite BG albums. So far The Throne, The Holy Grail, Prophecies, The Ninth Wave, and Twilight of the Gods are my favorites. No big stand outs like Sacred Worlds and nothing as catchy as Tanelorn or Valkyries from the last album, but the songs are consistently good and powerful as ever. Not one of the best BG albums but all of their albums are good and this one doesn't dissapoint.

Jon The Wise

#186 Post by Jon The Wise » 16 Oct 2015 19:24

Alright, have listened to it about 40-50 times and think I am ready to review it. I will probably do this in 3 or 4 different edits since my laptop is kinda screwy and it could be lengthy. Only reviewing the regular 10 track album. First off it's hard to say it is better than ATEOT but it definitely is not worse IMO.

The Ninth Wave: This is an opening masterpiece and it took a few listens to really get into it but I absolutely love it, can't wait to see it done live. The chorus is ever so epic and brings energy and life to my body everytime I hear it. Phenomenal leads and lyrics which become further carved in your head with each and every listen. Could go on and on about this but let's press on.

Twilight Of The Gods: Probably my favorite off the album, the opening riff is astounding and the intro solo Andre busts into right before the opening line is magnificent, couldn't have been better written. I think this will be the one guaranteed track to stick around for future tours and some of Hansi's best lines on the album, but they are all so good.

Prophecies: Another one of the best tracks, one of my favorite chorus lines off this album and again looking forward to experiencing it live!

At The Edge Of Time: Seems it would have fit well on the last album too but it rules in every regard, seems it would be quite tough to pull off live with the epic choruses. Love the lyrics "they burn and bleed"..."til the savior will break through" love the solo and delivery, nailed it as always!

Ashes Of Eternity: This would be my second choice to see when they choose to do more off this album, from the opening riff to the lyrics it would go over great live and make a great sing along for the fans at the chorus. Superb track.

The Holy Grail: First choice of song I'd pick for them to do next, it is amazing from start to finish and one of my favorite choruses on the album. Solo is punishing and the vocal delivery is swift and memorable. I feel this one will definitely be done live eventually.

The Throne: This song is amazing as they all are but I find it's slightly long and it doesn't keep me quite as interested as everything else on here but it is still awesome, just doesn't stick in my head as much as the rest.

Sacred Mind: This one reminds me of myself in the chorus, and I still don't know how they capture such an amazing sound time and time again. These guys are the best metal composers ever, hands down. Most consistent and diverse as well, they reach levels other bands could only dream of...seriously.

Miracle Machine: They have always been the only metal band who could write and perform ballads next to Ozzy and Sabbath in my mind. They can literally write lyrics that touch the darkest parts of your soul and help you see the light! This is beautiful as all the other ones they have done and gives me hope. How do you do it Hansi? Pure genius I believe! Keep doing it live!!

Grand Parade: I feel this may come next tour as well, but to replace Sacred Worlds or Wheel Of Time in the epic slot. Funny how both this and The Ninth Wave are both 9:28, kinda crazy. This song reminds me of Curse of Feanor just right when it begins and then becomes something very magical! Gives me hope as they always do and puts me in the mood to march to war. Lyrically it is perfect, don't think it could be better and it is musically astounding as always, on and on it's a Grand Parade!!!

All in all a brilliant album through and through, not like they would release anything less, best metal band there is \m/ This is a true masterpiece ..like everything else in their catalogue.

brazilian_bard

#187 Post by brazilian_bard » 16 Oct 2015 20:11

Some people are saying Blind Guardian's songs and Hansi's voice are like good wines. The more age it have, the better it gets. I think it's a perfect way to describe them. Just like ATEOT, in the beginning I had a 'little hard time' diving and understanding most of the album's songs. (songs like 9nth wave, Twilight, Holy Grail and Miracle Machine are out of this list).

BUT NOW, I can't stop listening the album. The more I listen to it, the more I love it. It's awesome. Maybe for the fact I've mentioned, at each album they get more complex and evolve. Amazing. Awesome. Great album. All the songs are beautiful, full of personality.

So grateful to the bards, for making many people´s life happier and better.

priderock

#188 Post by priderock » 19 Oct 2015 01:36

I Absolutely agree with John The Wise and Brazilian_Bard :!: :!: :!: Btw, I'll also give my review soon.

schlampo

#189 Post by schlampo » 21 Nov 2015 22:37

Twilight of the Gods was the only song to grab my attention on first round, second round The Edge of Time stood out.

Now a life altering experience...my first BG show in Edmonton! The whole album is gold now. I also told my wife to change her name to Blind Guardian since I can't shut up about them...life isn't that bad in a dog house if you have 'Beyond the Red Mirror' though. It's gets better each time you listen to it!

JazzJackrabbit

#190 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 05 Feb 2016 22:05

One year later, this album still kicks so much ass. 8)

warchanter

#191 Post by warchanter » 12 Feb 2016 12:17

I agree!

priderock

#192 Post by priderock » 24 Feb 2016 11:23

It's probably in their top three albums.. containing my all time favourite BG song with Hansi's best vocals - At The Edge Of Time!!!! I could write a whole review just about this song...

Midnight

#193 Post by Midnight » 25 Feb 2016 05:27

priderock wrote:It's probably in their top three albums.. containing my all time favourite BG song with Hansi's best vocals - At The Edge Of Time!!!! I could write a whole review just about this song...
Haha, I agree that might be interesting! :)

brazilian_bard

#194 Post by brazilian_bard » 25 Feb 2016 16:29

The only thing I don't understand, is why they've played so few songs from the new album on the show I've went to. It was the tour of the new album. I really, really, really was expecting to hear and sing The Holy Grail song with them, but they didn't. The show was really amazing, the best of my life, why not to say. And they always have shown that they're sensible about the songs fans would like to hear in the shows, and I understand that it must not be so easy to choose among many fabulous songs, which ones to play.
The Curse of Feanor, is another sample. I've listened or readed somewhere that they don't play this song alive, because of the vocal lines, that clearly are very strong, but at the same time, Hansi always had his way to make strong lines in a smoother way, so I started thinking there is no excuse :lol: to not play this awesome song alive. Andre's leads on this song are ones of his best.
Well bards, are just thoughts. I really expect you/them to come back here soon. :mrgreen:

JazzJackrabbit

#195 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 25 Feb 2016 16:43

I think they feel pressured to make sure a lot of the classics (Mirror Mirror, Bard's Song, Valhalla, etc) are include in their setlists. It's no easy task when you have 10 albums to choose from.

Gandalf de Grijze

#196 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 25 Feb 2016 21:37

I do agree that they should include more of the newer songs in their setlists, regardless of how well a new album is received at first. Problem with a band like BG who have 10 studio albums (or more like other bands) is that they can't have all the classics in one show because there are too many of them. By focussing their live efforts too strongly on IFTOS/NIME (mostly) they kind of rob many of the new songs of the chance of becoming true live classics.

Gotta admit I really loved Curse Of Feanor a lot more live than I expected, considering it is one of my least favorite NIME songs...

Drahcir

#197 Post by Drahcir » 27 Feb 2016 08:04

Yes can they please drop Mirror Mirror... At the Edge of Time as the set closer instead would be absolutely amazing.

priderock

#198 Post by priderock » 27 Feb 2016 08:33

Drahcir wrote:Yes can they please drop Mirror Mirror... At the Edge of Time as the set closer instead would be absolutely amazing.
I can absolutely agree with you - this can be the most powerful closer(and also my dream),but is it possible to sing something like this every night?