Is Blind Guardian a power metal band?

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
ICBM

Is Blind Guardian a power metal band?

#1 Post by ICBM » 18 Dec 2014 02:27

I’m not interested in discussing narrow genre definitions, but in the overall consensus on things.

Reading around on this forum, it seems like many users favour bands like Stratovarious, Rhapsody, Dragonforce, Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Hammerfall etc.

Personally I can’t stand those kinds of bands or the “power metal” genre at all. To me Blind Guardian is not just a “power metal” band that’s better than the others. They make music that sounds and feels completely different. Still, they obviously have more fans that are into this genre, or other typical Nuclear Blast/Wacken bands, than those who prefer extreme metal, classical, noise or other kinds of non-mainstream music.

Do you think that Blind Guardian fits in with the current Nuclear Blast roster? Should they always tour with these types of bands? I know from personal experience that quite many people in the black/death metal underground enjoy the band, even though they never listen to stuff like the other bands mentioned.

This is not meant to be insulting to anyone’s taste in music, but it would be nice to hear peoples opinions. I have a feeling more old-school fans are reading this forum than their facebook page, hehe.

Gandalf de Grijze

Re: Is Blind Guardian a power metal band?

#2 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 18 Dec 2014 07:50

I think they used to be powermetal... and that is why they are still strongly linked to the genre. However, nowadays they definately have a style of their own, balancing on the crossroads of symphonic metal, power metal and progressive metal.

Having said that, I have to admit that for most metal genres I don't like the "typical" sounding bands too much, and generally am more attracted to bands that cross genre lines and have a sound of their own.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Avelar

#3 Post by Avelar » 18 Dec 2014 10:44

ICBM wrote:Should they always tour with these types of bands?
The forthcoming european tour will be with Orphaned Land who are not of power metal genre at all. And I am happy with this, I like Orphaned Land a lot and it's gonna be great to see both bands perform at the same gigs. I could even say that they fit together more than would BG and some typical power metal band. By the way, I was surprised that such big band like Orphaned Land is going to be 'just a support' band on the tour. That says much about how BG is honored, I guess.
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.

Warmoth

#4 Post by Warmoth » 18 Dec 2014 19:36

I agree with you OP. I don't considered them power metal, and I really don't like the bands you mentioned either. To me they're not even remotely similar.
Some people consider Iced Earth power metal too. I really don't get that.

The touring and labelmates don't matter to me. ..they never come to the US anyways! =(

Honestly, if you can name a band that really sounds similar to any Blind Guardian PLEASE do. I really enjoy them, and would be ecstatic to find more music like theirs.

edit: Oh, I consider myself primarily an old school Death Metal fan and Blind guardian is probably my favorite band.

ICBM

#5 Post by ICBM » 19 Dec 2014 22:53

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:I think they used to be powermetal... and that is why they are still strongly linked to the genre. However, nowadays they definately have a style of their own, balancing on the crossroads of symphonic metal, power metal and progressive metal.
You are right about this. Especially TFTTW and SFB can definitely be considered part of the power metal genre. Still, they “feel” very different than any albums that they have been compared to. Part of it is surely the lack of the constantly high-pitched style vocals that is often synonymous with the genre. But I think that the music seems to be from another place as well. While every other power metal band I’ve heard appears to compose music according to certain pre-defined formulas, or going for a specific sort of sound, BG seem to always have been completely free when creating their songs. Of course they’ve shown influences from other bands, but to me their music have always seemed very organic rather than mechanical (even on the first two albums, which were obviously heavily influenced by Helloween and Thrash metal respectively).
Warmoth wrote:Honestly, if you can name a band that really sounds similar to any Blind Guardian PLEASE do. I really enjoy them, and would be ecstatic to find more music like theirs.

edit: Oh, I consider myself primarily an old school Death Metal fan and Blind guardian is probably my favorite band.
Persuader from Sweden and Thomen’s later band Savage Circus are the bands most often recommended when people ask this question. They may sound similar at first, but I don’t think either one of them comes close to the same spirit. Great music goes beyond song structures and production, Blind Guardian truly stands alone in their genre.

Happy to see someone else who considers Blind Guardian their favourite band but generally prefers old-school DM!

Traveller in Time

#6 Post by Traveller in Time » 25 Dec 2014 15:01

Or check out Thomen's new band Serious Black
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnO-uRsdIgg

or Evertale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8hA61X ... qKNABQ7Dpu

or Solar Fragment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiKAdVbhtEY
(with Hansi as guest)

or if you like the russian language
Epidemia (dealing with fantasy themes especially LOTR)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ygg9sEAT-s

or Iron Savior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4nv1Of ... 805619914D
(again Hansi on guest vocals)

But of course there is nothing like BG, just close ;)
My first choice would be like said above Savage Circus and Persuader would be my first choice, too

Or if you just like Hansi's voice then Demons and Wizards is your choice
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

OmegaSlayer

#7 Post by OmegaSlayer » 25 Dec 2014 20:30

Battalions Of Fear was indeed Deutsch power metal mixed with some speed and classic metal influences.
Follow The Blind was still power metal with heavy thrash influences, both bay area and Deutsch thrash.

I think that from Tales, they become one of the frontrunners of Power Metal.
I think that they were no more playing power, but they start defining what power metal in the 90s was like.
They made the way, the other followed.

Then with Imaginations they took their own way, mixing thrash, power, 70s prog, symphonic.

Imho Helloween up to Keepers, old Running Wild, old Rage up to End Of All Days, Gamma Ray up to Powerplant were power metal.
Stratovarius, Rhapsody and blah blah have never been power metal.
They lacked the thrashy elements to be power metal.
A guitar picking fast on a chord is not enough to make you power metal.

I love Persuader and "Evolution Purgatory" is up with SFB quality wise for my liking.
I never cared if they were called rip-off, because for me they're quality, period.

I suggest to check Orden Ogan, since they're mind blowing, they've got personality and many features of the BG sounds albeit mixed in a different way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwBSMaJRt34

crzgfx

#8 Post by crzgfx » 31 Dec 2014 18:01

Blind Guardian is still Power Metal. First, there is a PM cliché, but that doesn't mean every band has to sound like the cliché to actually be a PM band. Listen to Orden Ogan, Helloween, Maegi and Blind Guardian. They are all PM. Even in Death Metal, there are bands with a distinct sound, such as Behemoth or the early Opeth. Blind Guardian has a very special sound, since they are heavily influenced by Queen and early thrash bands, yes. But just because they don't sound like Hammerfall (which is a great band IMO) doesn't make them define a new genre - or we could have Motörhead Metal, Judas Priest Metal, Iron Maiden Metal and Metallica Metal, too.

vlssstv

#9 Post by vlssstv » 10 Jan 2015 18:25

I have been listening to a very eclectic variety of music for the better part 40 yrs. prog pop blues rock but especially metal from death to symphonic and in the late eighties BG was easy a thrash speed metal style. In the 90's power metal elements were prevalent. Then 2k's and the more symphonic stuff ... I think the questions answer is yes with a large nod to just about every other music style. They are that good due to increasing music skill,insight and good lyrics. As long as Hansi and Andre' want they will make great music.
That said cannot wait for "Beyond the red mirror"

ErHaO

#10 Post by ErHaO » 16 Jan 2015 23:24

I do not know about genres really, but what I do know is that, even when they go all symphonic, BG manages to sound serious and non cheesy, with few exceptions. There is always a bit of a rough edge to be found somewhere and the lyrics often describe the story the song tells in an artistic way. I cannot really put my fingers on it, but this is how I feel (I love me some cheesy power metal every now and then though, but those songs wear off quickly most of the time).

I see some other nice bands are mentioned in this thread as well. Alltough melodic death metal/folk, I'd reccomend trying out: Wintersun (self titled) and the first two Ensiferum albums as well. They kind of have a fantasy power metally feeling to me (beware: grunting/screaming vocals, but I like them in this case. Jari has quite the distinct voice).