Twilight of the Gods vs A Voice in the Dark

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.

Twilight of the Gods
54%
Voice in the Dark
46%

Total votes: 28

bestpike

#1 Post by bestpike » 05 Dec 2014 16:54

Which single did you like more? For the moment I'm leaning towards A Voice in the Dark as the stronger song.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

bard_92

Re: Twilight of the Gods vs A Voice in the Dark

#2 Post by bard_92 » 05 Dec 2014 17:14

I don't thing that we need such a competition, cause each of the two songs is unique by itself and have different things and emotions to offer.And when we're talking about music it's hard to say that something is better than the other...of course, sometimes it's obvious, but sometimes it depends to the taste of each person...However, I voted for TOTG, cause it's more innovative song to me...I prefer the production it have, it's more clear than AVOTD. At the end, and the 2 songs are really awesome :) But let's see, it's interesting to know what the people think ;)

JazzJackrabbit

#3 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 05 Dec 2014 17:40

AVITD is better but I do think TOGT is a solid song.

bestpike

#4 Post by bestpike » 05 Dec 2014 18:19

bard_92 wrote:I don't thing that we need such a competition, cause each of the two songs is unique by itself and have different things and emotions to offer.And when we're talking about music it's hard to say that something is better than the other...of course, sometimes it's obvious, but sometimes it depends to the taste of each person...However, I voted for TOTG, cause it's more innovative song to me...I prefer the production it have, it's more clear than AVOTD. At the end, and the 2 songs are really awesome :) But let's see, it's interesting to know what the people think ;)
Yeah I'm not saying one is bad and the other brilliant or anything. I think A Voice in the Dark is stronger because it somehow feels it has more "content", it has more ups and downs, more things are happening. Twilight of the Gods has some cool ideas but sounds kinda over too soon, and not very many ideas in there. I think it's a valid competition because they both served as appetizers for the main course, and that makes me hypothesize that I will like the new album less than Ateot. I had the same feeling for Atitm as well (for a different reason though) and it sadly came true. Let's hope I'm wrong this time.
Forever to be free

bard_92

#5 Post by bard_92 » 05 Dec 2014 18:33

Yeah, I know what do you mean, but I think that the ideas are strongly connected more to the vocals, which sounds to me more complex than AVITD and the whole thing sounds like a Broadway music... Maybe I'm just oriented more to this kind of music and that's why I prefer it...And on the other hand I think that there're a lot of ambitious ideas in the song that are too short just for it's length...I'm pretty sure that it's really a microcosms of the whole thing...and every thing that we can hear here will be put in the extended way it deserves to be in the other songs!!! And that's what I expect at the end :)
Hope I'm not wrong ;)

The only thing I don't like at the moment is that we have to wait too much - 2 months...Maybe the trailers are the things that will settle our hunger, but it's still too much I think...

Gorthaur

#6 Post by Gorthaur » 06 Dec 2014 01:55

you should have ''Both are good/bad equally'' as the option, as after taking a couple of listens to TOTG, it reminded to AVITD a bit, but I don't know why... As someone wrote, songs are unique by itself and offer different emotions, but musical style is pretty similar between both songs.

I'll refrain form voting now, maybe in a few days, when I understand TOTG better and when it grows on me. :D

bestpike

#7 Post by bestpike » 06 Dec 2014 02:11

Gorthaur wrote:you should have ''Both are good/bad equally'' as the option, as after taking a couple of listens to TOTG, it reminded to AVITD a bit, but I don't know why... As someone wrote, songs are unique by itself and offer different emotions, but musical style is pretty similar between both songs.

I'll refrain form voting now, maybe in a few days, when I understand TOTG better and when it grows on me. :D
Well, the equal option does not give much information. But you are right that maybe the poll is unfair towards TOTG, since it's too soon.
Forever to be free

Gandalf de Grijze

#8 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 06 Dec 2014 10:51

i'm already liking totg better than avitd... then again, avitd is in my opinion by far the weakest song off of ateot...
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Angus

#9 Post by Angus » 07 Dec 2014 04:44

Hopefully they continued the weakest song as the first single trend with BTRM

Twister

#10 Post by Twister » 09 Dec 2014 14:46

Definitely Twilight of the Gods!
A Voice in the Dark was "just" a catchy song, a simple choice for a single, maybe needed to show the change of style from ATITM. But TotG, on the other side, is a real killer, in my opinion. More dense, more ideas, catchy and yet not really "easy"…

Very happy about it. :)
"Well, I was about to announce the next song, but I think we'll have to skip it...
Yeah, because we have a pretty sad song here, and you all seem so happy to me...!"

(Hansi Kursch)

bestpike

#11 Post by bestpike » 15 Dec 2014 00:27

TotG winning even just for a bit, nice going! For me, after quite a few listens (of course this can change with even more listens) Blind Guardian have kinda dropped the ball on this (in the sense of improving upon previous releases). Right now I can't see how TotG can be considered better than AVitD. Since both songs kinda fit the same type of song (please correct me if they don't, that's what I might be missing), let's see:

Chorus: clear winner AVitD
Brutal intro: AVitD's intro is more brutal and also lengthier. TotG the moment you start to headbang it's over (10 seconds, that's it).
Content: AVitD has the more content, it's longer and more progressive at the same time
Lyrics: Game of thrones wins by default? Plus their length is longer (I think)? AVitD
Outro: TotG doesn't have anything, it just ends with a whimper after the last chorus.
Main riff: I like AVitD's more. That's just personal opinion, no facts to back it up. Maybe TotG's is simpler?

The only area where I see TotG being better is the experimentation with orchestral vocals. Is that really enough to make it better?
Forever to be free

Avelar

#12 Post by Avelar » 17 Dec 2014 11:59

I have not decided yet for which song to vote, maybe in a year..
AVitD is more complete and progressive which means interesting. But more complex and technical doesn't always mean more pleasant and satisfying. For me TotG wins in simplicity, production and probably some other factors. AVitD is often too intensive and I don't like how it is produced, it's too harsh to my ears. TotG gives me more pleasure while I am listening to it, and I think that is the most important.
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.

JazzJackrabbit

#13 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 17 Dec 2014 18:31

bestpike wrote:TotG winning even just for a bit, nice going! For me, after quite a few listens (of course this can change with even more listens) Blind Guardian have kinda dropped the ball on this (in the sense of improving upon previous releases). Right now I can't see how TotG can be considered better than AVitD. Since both songs kinda fit the same type of song (please correct me if they don't, that's what I might be missing), let's see:

Chorus: clear winner AVitD
Brutal intro: AVitD's intro is more brutal and also lengthier. TotG the moment you start to headbang it's over (10 seconds, that's it).
Content: AVitD has the more content, it's longer and more progressive at the same time
Lyrics: Game of thrones wins by default? Plus their length is longer (I think)? AVitD
Outro: TotG doesn't have anything, it just ends with a whimper after the last chorus.
Main riff: I like AVitD's more. That's just personal opinion, no facts to back it up. Maybe TotG's is simpler?

The only area where I see TotG being better is the experimentation with orchestral vocals. Is that really enough to make it better?
Pretty spot-on assessment. I do agree with others that TOTG feels like a radio edit or incomplete version of a song whereas none of those issues exist with AVITD. I actually do enjoy TOTG quite a bit but AVITD is better in almost every aspect.

bestpike

#14 Post by bestpike » 17 Dec 2014 20:56

Avelar wrote:I have not decided yet for which song to vote, maybe in a year..
AVitD is more complete and progressive which means interesting. But more complex and technical doesn't always mean more pleasant and satisfying. For me TotG wins in simplicity, production and probably some other factors. AVitD is often too intensive and I don't like how it is produced, it's too harsh to my ears. TotG gives me more pleasure while I am listening to it, and I think that is the most important.
While I disagree that TotG is better, you make some good points here. In the end it is subjective of course, 99% of the time you can't convince by arguments a song is better than another.
Forever to be free

ErHaO

#15 Post by ErHaO » 18 Dec 2014 00:38

I voted Twilight of the Gods. It could be this changes over the years (it is hard to say how the song ages on the long term). It is really close though, both are quality songs in my book, albeit probably not being top 25 BG songs at any point for me (which is more a statement of how much I love some of their other songs :P )

Some thoughts while listening to them side by side now:

+The vocals in TOTG are superiour, I also love the way the choirs sound.
+Andre's melody he plays the first time directly after the first chorus is catchy and remniscent of the IFTOS album, it always gets me going (moreso than the minisole after the first chorus of AVITD, for example). I love it as a recurring element and is instantly recognizable.
+I like the way Andre plays the lead troughout the song with melodies consisting of short notes (is there a musical term for this? I dunno) and switches to "more flowing" sustained notes during the chorus. It gives the song a certain groove. TOTG is a bit more melody focused than AVITD overall, I like that.
+The drumming is more original. AVITD has solid drumming, but it is a bit more standard. TOTG tries some subtle new approaches. It caught me a bit offgaurd, but I like how Fredrick begins and ends the song instead of going for the usual double bass drum patterns and drum strolls. It helps to give the song it's own face.

+/- The chorus is on the same level imo. I think TOTG might work better live (but it is far from the promoted chorus), but I cannot choose between them. I like them both.
+/- I never was really fond of the solo of AVITD (I always feel it drags a bit or something, I don't know). The one from TOTG is short and really remniscent from previous stuff, but works well in the context of the song.

-AVITD definitely flows better. I have no problem with the structuring of TOTG except for the material between the intro and the first time the chorus kicks in (the rest flows well to me), they should have added some music there.
-AVITD indeed has a bit more material. Not sure if I would call it more complex, but the lenght and amount of unique material are perfect, whereas it feels like TOTG has some untapped potential (see previous point).

As for lyrical content, I have to see how it fits into the album as a whole. It is a concept album after all.

TOTG would be a mid tier ATEOT track and a top tier ATITM track, so I am looking forward to the album a lot.

ICBM

#16 Post by ICBM » 19 Dec 2014 22:57

Twilight of the Gods is definitely the better one for me. Then again, AWITD is probably my least favourite song on the last album. I hope the single will be my least favourite on this album as well. :)

vlssstv

#17 Post by vlssstv » 10 Jan 2015 21:25

avitd was almost too catchy for me, I like totg better because it has bit more to digest lyrically. although they seem to be depending on the chorus more than in past songs ... but ehh Hansi is still one of tyhe best fantasy style song writers in metal today or ever.