Beyond The Red Mirror Split In Two CD's ?!

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
DREAMASTER

Beyond The Red Mirror Split In Two CD's ?!

#1 Post by DREAMASTER » 27 Nov 2014 22:59

According to NB site "Beyond The Red Mirror" will be split in two cd's in the Earbook edition while the digibook will be in only on cd.

Hearbook tracklist:
CD1
01. The Ninth Wave
02. Twilight Of The Gods
03. Prophecies
04. At The Edge Of Time
05. Ashes Of Eternity
06. Distant Memories (bonus)
CD2
01. The Holy Grail
02. The Throne
03. Sacred Mind
04. Miracle Machine
05. Grand Parade
06. Doom (bonus)

Digibook tracklist:
01. The Ninth Wave
02. Twilight Of The Gods
03. Prophecies
04. At The Edge Of Time
05. Ashes Of Eternity
06. Distant Memories (bonus)
07. The Holy Grail
08. The Throne
09. Sacred Mind
10. Miracle Machine
11. Grand Parade

Does the split has to do that there is no space for the second bonus track?
Behold the sword of power... Excalibur
Forged when the world was young
and bird and beast and flower were one with Man,
and Death was but a DREAM!!!

Freak666

Re: Beyond The Red Mirror Split In Two CD's ?!

#2 Post by Freak666 » 27 Nov 2014 23:21

Yes, it seems so.
This would mean that "Doom" is a rather long song as the other 11 tracks are in summery around 70 minutes all together and a usual CD can take up to 80 minutes of music.

ErHaO

#3 Post by ErHaO » 27 Nov 2014 23:52

I would not even be surprised if Doom was pretty short and they just cut it in two for the sake of having a special edition with two discs. I think it is very cheap and a scam for its price. Definitely since they have so much orchestral stuff this time around (thus, releasing orchestral versions like they did for The Wheel of Time should not be hard), the Wacken 2011 performance and released two alternate versions of songs on that bonus vinyl in the store. They could have easily put some of that stuff on the second disc, along with Doom.

It will still be the version I order though and I hope those liner notes and artwork are going to be damn good for the 20 euros extra I pay.

Dragonfly

#4 Post by Dragonfly » 28 Nov 2014 00:03

ErHaO wrote:I would not even be surprised if Doom was pretty short and they just cut it in two for the sake of having a special edition with two discs. I think it is very cheap and a scam for its price. Definitely since they have so much orchestral stuff this time around (thus, releasing orchestral versions like they did for The Wheel of Time should not be hard), the Wacken 2011 performance and released two alternate versions of songs on that bonus vinyl in the store. They could have easily put some of that stuff on the second disc, along with Doom.

It will still be the version I order though and I hope those liner notes and artwork are going to be damn good for the 20 euros extra I pay.
My thoughts exactly! There's probably so much stuff that can be put on the second disc... otherwise stretching the album across 2 CDs is just a waste of material. And just imagine: you'll have to change CDs while listening to the whole album which kinda breaks the flow of the music. The only thing that attracts me here is that both CDs have a sort of symmetry to them - they both end with a bonus track.
Hope that the liner notes will detail each song in the most meticulous way possible including how all of them were called during the production :D.
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

blindgfan

#5 Post by blindgfan » 02 Dec 2014 23:28

Seriously. Who will be willing to pay for Earbook edition?

Dragonfly

#6 Post by Dragonfly » 03 Dec 2014 01:06

blindgfan wrote:Seriously. Who will be willing to pay for Earbook edition?
I will. I only live once so why not to try and buy it once in a lifetime when it's a new album by one of my all-time favourite bands? With bonus tracks and liner notes... should be tasty. But yeah, expensive as hell.

bestpike

#7 Post by bestpike » 03 Dec 2014 01:13

Dragonfly wrote:
I will. I only live once so why not to try and buy it once in a lifetime when it's a new album by one of my all-time favourite bands? With bonus tracks and liner notes... should be tasty. But yeah, expensive as hell.
I really like your attitude, I think like that as well. One fond example I remember was the collector's edition of Half-Life 2 (75 euros) when I could've bought the normal version for 30 euros less and don't regret it at all. Although I would suggest to listen to the album first. It's only fair you at least have an idea of what you're buying (I have bought all BG albums btw).
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Gandalf de Grijze

#8 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 03 Dec 2014 01:42

I have already paid for my preorder.

Actually BG is the only artist I blindly preorder, as I know I won't be disappointed.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Dragonfly

#9 Post by Dragonfly » 03 Dec 2014 01:55

bestpike wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:
I really like your attitude, I think like that as well. One fond example I remember was the collector's edition of Half-Life 2 (75 euros) when I could've bought the normal version for 30 euros less and don't regret it at all. Although I would suggest to listen to the album first. It's only fair you at least have an idea of what you're buying (I have bought all BG albums btw).
Looks like I'm a real beginner compared to you, I only have "At The Edge Of Time" and "Nightfall In Middle-Earth" so far. Going to get all albums for sure... And in this case I can really just make a blind purchase since I can fully rely on the guys' talent and ability to create awesome music :). Anyway, the first real taste is coming soon :wink:.

OmegaSlayer

#10 Post by OmegaSlayer » 14 Dec 2014 10:51

My problem with the Earbook is not the price, but the 24x24 format.
It's a format too big for space saving, and I hate it. :(
It sucks because I have every limited edition and every BG single, even the Japanese Mr.Sandman one.
Still I picked BTRM in digipack and I really hope "Doom" will be released on a new single.
I really really hope.

I don't condemn the practice of releasing one more song for a particular edition, I just hate how that edition looks like.
Not to mention that the limited edition cover artwork is worse than the one of the regular edition.

ErHaO

#11 Post by ErHaO » 16 Jan 2015 21:04

So another rant on this.

Lets see what Nightwish gives us for the same price for their upcoming album (also Nuclear Blast):

http://www.madsupply.com/en/shop/band+m ... eluxe+gold

-Full album on one disc
-Bonus acoustic disc
-Orchestral disc (intrumentals) (damn, how much I would love to have this for the Beyond the Red Mirror based on the latest trailer....)

I am still a bit bummed by the editions of Beyond the Red Mirror.

Dragonfly

#12 Post by Dragonfly » 16 Jan 2015 22:03

I feel your pain and indignation. This earbook is probably the most expensive musical item I've ever purchased so far, and total playing time in comparison with the new Nightwish album is ludicrous for the same price. Unfortunately, this problem is not something we can change or somehow influence... so I just hope that 'Beyond The Red Mirror' is awesome and the package is worth the money.

DREAMASTER

#13 Post by DREAMASTER » 03 Feb 2015 15:20

Well it seems that the tracklist of the earbook fits in one CD after all.

More cash grab?

OmegaSlayer

#14 Post by OmegaSlayer » 03 Feb 2015 15:45

We could have a bottle of wine at least... :mrgreen:

DREAMASTER

#15 Post by DREAMASTER » 03 Feb 2015 15:53

LOL

Yeah because 40-50€ jus for this is a ripoff. Ppl are paying extra cash for a unnecessary cd and a big size format doesn't fit in any shelve.

OmegaSlayer

#16 Post by OmegaSlayer » 03 Feb 2015 16:44

For € 70,00 we coukld have had a replica of André's Nike shirt :lol: :mrgreen:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nike-Mens-Track ... ack+jacket

(Seriously, how many of them the dude has? :P )

magic_child

#17 Post by magic_child » 03 Feb 2015 16:57

I'm not sure about this, but I think that there was something about losing quality or getting problems, if CDs are longer than X minutes?? Even if it is possible to have 80 minutes, maybe is is "safer" to split it up?

Apart from this, I think the price is for the very big Earbook, which is much bigger and has much more pages than the normal CD. The price is not for the bonus track or second disc. Hansi also said that he loves the Earbook, because he could do a lot of stuff, go crazy with it, almost like an accompanying book.

ErHaO

#18 Post by ErHaO » 03 Feb 2015 18:15

I think the choice to do this was on BG themselves (I mean, look at other earbooks from NB...). I think they only wanted to have relevant material to the concept and nothing more. No repeated material (instrumentals) and no other lyrical topics (live, demo's, covers) etc. The earbook looks like a definitive story book and every song present is represented like this.

Still, they could've included a download code like with ATEOT, which was nice.

In the end, I think the earbook with the vinyl is not that bad of a value (looks awesome, damn good music and a nice exclusive vinyl) but it most certainly could be a lot better.

Gandalf de Grijze

#19 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 04 Feb 2015 00:58

I really think the larger size of the pages and artwork in the booklet are definately worth the extra money.
I'm not too fond of making an extra cd with just the orchestral or instrumental versions... those are bonusses that I'd probablyy play once, maybe twice, and never go back to again, ever...
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

blindgfan

#20 Post by blindgfan » 04 Feb 2015 01:28

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:I really think the larger size of the pages and artwork in the booklet are definately worth the extra money.
I'm not too fond of making an extra cd with just the orchestral or instrumental versions... those are bonusses that I'd probablyy play once, maybe twice, and never go back to again, ever...

There are ways to turn it into a single CD

OmegaSlayer

#21 Post by OmegaSlayer » 04 Feb 2015 08:22

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:I really think the larger size of the pages and artwork in the booklet are definately worth the extra money.
I'm with you, holding the book in your hands gives insanely pleasure :)
I was very happy with it.
I don't mind if there aren't orchestral, karaoke ir antani songs.
The 2 bonus tracks are really insanely goods and definitely not sound like B-sides.
My complaints are mainly for that flyer...really that was ugly terribad and that it could have been a single CD with no need of swapping.
So yeah, I would rate the earbook an 8.5/10.
Would have been a 9/10 with one disc and the flyer, 9.5/10 with two discs and not the flyer.

It seems to me that BG never manages to get everything perfect from A to Z for my liking, but it's also true that from them I always expect 11/10

Morbidian

#22 Post by Morbidian » 04 Feb 2015 14:57

''Doom'' lasts less than 6 min.
Adding it to the single cd release, it would ran about 77 minutes, or almost max. running time of regular cd, so, it could've been added.
When the sky is burning,
see the Moon falling down.
On your right is lightning.
See the war in the sky.

Remember Brian,
when it's time.
Remember Brian.

DREAMASTER

#23 Post by DREAMASTER » 04 Feb 2015 20:34

So I went to investigate to be sure if putting all the songs in one cd would affect the sound quality and the asnwer is NO! So this was anothe NB scheme to get more money from BG fans.

So Nuclear Blast, go fu** yourself!

ErHaO

#24 Post by ErHaO » 04 Feb 2015 23:55

DREAMASTER wrote:So I went to investigate to be sure if putting all the songs in one cd would affect the sound quality and the asnwer is NO! So this was anothe NB scheme to get more money from BG fans.

So Nuclear Blast, go fu** yourself!
Like I said before. I think NB wanted two discs (marketing), but I think it really is BG who decided on the content (maybe for reason I stated above; including wacken 2011 stuff, the alternative MM/GP from the 10" and some orchestral pieces should be easy, after all). Nightwish comes with three discs (regular, acoustic and orchestral!) for the same price and is also NB (not to mention all the other earbooks NB released as of late: Epica and Sabaton for example).

DREAMASTER

#25 Post by DREAMASTER » 05 Feb 2015 01:26

Still, how many fans can afford to pay 30-50€ for one album?

t.a.j.

#26 Post by t.a.j. » 08 Feb 2015 10:01

What I find really bad, is that it's a concept album, not just a collection of songs and thus the "bonus tracks" are not bonus tracks at all, but actual, integrated parts of the story, which means that the regular editions are not regular, but missing relevant pieces that would have belong to the original piece of art. This kind of disrespect, reducing art to mere commodity, to be cut up and manipulated as seen fit by the marketing department, is shocking to me and speaks ill not only of Nuclear Blast, who after all are just a company with a company's logic, but mostly of the band, who cooperated and seemed entirely willing to treat their album and story are ever so much cheap shit.

It's much like the DLC practice in Video Games and makes we wish I'd stayed with just pirating the album.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Tom Servo

#27 Post by Tom Servo » 20 Mar 2015 02:20

I bought what I thought as the "earbook" version, and it was missing "Doom". I didn't know there was a 2cd version. It turns out the song is only under 6 minutes and the total time is 76 minutes, so there was no reason to split it. BUT, I found a listing on Ebay that says it has two more bonus live tracks. Can anyone confirm this, and if so what are they?

Traveller in Time

#28 Post by Traveller in Time » 20 Mar 2015 20:08

Tom Servo wrote:I bought what I thought as the "earbook" version, and it was missing "Doom". I didn't know there was a 2cd version. It turns out the song is only under 6 minutes and the total time is 76 minutes, so there was no reason to split it. BUT, I found a listing on Ebay that says it has two more bonus live tracks. Can anyone confirm this, and if so what are they?
mh i think you mix digipak(/ or digibook as some call) it with earbook.
There was only one earbook version (as far as i know) (LP Size book with 2 CDS with doom and a vinyl)
The digipak had distant memories

I only know that the japan digipak version has Doom and Distant memories + two live versions which were also on the TOTG single.
Time stand still and The bard's song live in wacken.

But i totally agree on this bonustrack madness. For Helloween's new output it is even more to be angry about:
The limited digipak (with special 3D cover) and the vinyl version will feature two bonus tracks:

14. I Wish I Were There
15. Wicked Game

The digital version contains three bonus tracks:

14. I Wish I Were There
15. Wicked Game
16. Free World

The limited earbook will feature a bonus CD with four bonus tracks:

01. I Wish I Were There
02. Wicked Game
03. Nightmare
04. More Than A Lifetime

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/hellow ... BxmkzOr.99
EDIT: Ok i have to correct me: There is an earbook version with 2CDs (with doom) and one with a vinyl extra.
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!