Which BG song has affected/affects you the most?

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
bestpike

Which BG song has affected/affects you the most?

#1 Post by bestpike » 24 Oct 2014 18:26

Very general question, simply which song either touches you emotionally (not in a somber way necessarily) the most, or has accompanied you through your life (good or bad events), or has affected your life somehow. For me the song Turn the Page has been a great help when going through some massive (positive) changes in my life.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Twister

Re: Which BG song has affected/affects you the most?

#2 Post by Twister » 24 Oct 2014 19:03

Listening to BG music always bring back a lot of memories, since it's the band I've been listening the most 'til now - and still listening today. But if I'd have to choose one, the first would have to be The Last Candle, which helped me out a lot when a friend died when I was 17.
"Well, I was about to announce the next song, but I think we'll have to skip it...
Yeah, because we have a pretty sad song here, and you all seem so happy to me...!"

(Hansi Kursch)

kalrhael

#3 Post by kalrhael » 24 Oct 2014 23:06

Skalds and Shadows is my go to song when i'm feeling depressed or down. The ending is especially terrific, and it's such an eloquently sung and intricately woven song in its rhyme and scheme, it's hard to not get sucked into it when you're in a bog, and it can work when you're happy or depressed, making is a flexible song.

Perse

#4 Post by Perse » 24 Oct 2014 23:08

Really interesting topic!

I guess for me it would be Bright Eyes. There's a lot in it I can relate to. The feeling that everything around you has just gone mad and is completly out of control. And at the same time the vague idea that you don't get what you deserve and have to deal with it alone, but no one wants to see.

I would be interested in a topic about songs from other bands that inspired/affected persons...

sciacallo010

#5 Post by sciacallo010 » 25 Oct 2014 02:15

I'll say Noldor (Dead Winter Reigns) because it is the first Blind Guardian's song I listened to, it introduced me to a band who means the world to me, so in this way I kinda group them all :D
If I had to point to another song probably I'd say The Bard's Song for it beautiful melody, amazing and meaningful words and for the great sense of brotherhood that causes when played live sang by each and every single person in the crowd.

Ryu

#6 Post by Ryu » 25 Oct 2014 04:57

When I first discovered Under the Ice, I was 14 and going through the throes of my angsty phase. I had never heard anything like power metal before - I was a fan of melodic and harmonious singing but this exceeded anything I ever expected to hear in music.

I would get home from school, turn out the lights, dive onto the couch, hide under a ton of pillows and just see where my walkman could take me. I burnt off several Blind Guardian compilation discs for my circle of friends (with some D&W tracks mislabeled as BG tracks via Limewire and the like) and an obsession stirred.

Most of the tracks that introduced me to BG were from ANATO and to a lesser extent NIME. Those albums therefore have probably the most complex niche in my heart of any music.. but Under the Ice in particular had this ethereal, spacy vibe at times that carried me away.

"Under the ice you will believe
under the ice you will be free
released from rotten thoughts
no more pain
no more gods"

I wanted to be under the ice.
Last edited by Ryu on 25 Oct 2014 10:13, edited 1 time in total.
Defiant of destiny

bard_92

#7 Post by bard_92 » 25 Oct 2014 07:19

Wheel Of Time might be my choice ! Nearly three years ago I was really depressed, like nothing was happening the way I want it in my life...I was so absolutely "desperate and tired" !!!, so I think it's absolutely obvious my choice ! The part

"Once again I'll bring down the mountain"

After that this orchestral part...never expected to hear a song that talks to my heart even without the lyrics(this happened to me for the first time with WOT)

"The young man says I would never give up
This inner war I can hold against it,
my mind, my mind, my mind'a in darkness..,

The young man says I would never give in"
And so on...

Pure Epicnesss !!! This song alway turned me somehow to God
, like he had a plan for me !!!

Love this song, I'm sure God send it to me in the right time !

Also that's the first song that catched my interest into orchestra and choir music !!!

But, the first BG song that was extremely catchy for me was Under The Ice and it's chorus !

bestpike

#8 Post by bestpike » 25 Oct 2014 22:56

amazing that its different for everyone. goes to show of the sheer quality material bg are shelling out for 2 decades straight.
Forever to be free

Blackened

#9 Post by Blackened » 26 Oct 2014 15:54

For me it was "Blood tears", helping me through some difficult times.

I still get goosebumps everytime I listen to it, especially when the drums come in right before the chorus.
Another song I've never had the pleasure of hearing live unfortunately.

Andreas

#10 Post by Andreas » 27 Oct 2014 21:30

The sadness of Harvest of Sorrow always grabs me. Especially in the context in which I heard it first, namely at the end of NiME (as a bonus track).

Sentinel

#11 Post by Sentinel » 28 Oct 2014 16:38

Twister wrote:Listening to BG music always bring back a lot of memories, since it's the band I've been listening the most 'til now.
Same goes for me. There are a lot of songs that I hold dear, with different songs bringing back different memories.

If I had to pick only one, I'd say "The Elder". Back in my teens, the first time in love, full moon at the sky and then Hansi's voice joins in. Getting goosebumps even while writing this.
Free are those who walk away from setting suns
Free are those who laugh at chains that held them bound
Free are those who conquer in vain but won't stop to run
Battered and down you pick up your pieces
To rise as one!

Gandalf de Grijze

#12 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 28 Oct 2014 22:24

There is one song that I have skipped for a while now due to the difficult memories that come with it.

The Maiden And The Minstrel Knight was "our song" for me and my ex-girlfriend, so for several years after she broke up with me I just couldn't listen to that song anymore due to the pain, only recently I could listen to it again without thinking back to that time too much...
(though the pain isn't fully gone, even while writing this I can feel tears welling up)

There are many other songs as well that are special to me in one way or another, but I guess this one has the strongest emotional impact...
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

bestpike

#13 Post by bestpike » 29 Oct 2014 16:04

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:There is one song that I have skipped for a while now due to the difficult memories that come with it.

The Maiden And The Minstrel Knight was "our song" for me and my ex-girlfriend, so for several years after she broke up with me I just couldn't listen to that song anymore due to the pain, only recently I could listen to it again without thinking back to that time too much...
(though the pain isn't fully gone, even while writing this I can feel tears welling up)

There are many other songs as well that are special to me in one way or another, but I guess this one has the strongest emotional impact...
The fact that it's a melancholic-sounding song doesn't help either. The song Eagleheart by Stratovarius reminds me the death of my grandmother, but it sweetens the memory due to its uptempo and hopeful qualities. Besides, that song lies in your face kinda: the victorious banner of love doesn't always proudly stand, sadly. Stay strong, brother.
Forever to be free

Dragonfly

#14 Post by Dragonfly » 29 Oct 2014 18:20

...And this is why I sometimes say that certain songs can absolutely KILL you.
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

OmegaSlayer

#15 Post by OmegaSlayer » 14 Dec 2014 10:27

Hello!
New member here! :)

Banish From Sanctuary was the first BG song I listened to back in 1993 I think, and was blown away.
So that's my introduction to BG and I hold that song so very dear :)

Avelar

#16 Post by Avelar » 17 Dec 2014 12:05

And Then There Was Silence. There were moments when this song brought tears to my eyes just because it is so emotional and epic.
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.

bestpike

#17 Post by bestpike » 17 Dec 2014 21:17

Avelar wrote:And Then There Was Silence. There were moments when this song brought tears to my eyes just because it is so emotional and epic.
Can't say I cried over a song, but if I remember correctly Bright Eyes and later Imaginations from the Other Side spurred me the most emotionally back then. The second one through music and lyrics, and the first just through the melody and Hansi's emotional vocal lines.
Forever to be free

ICBM

#18 Post by ICBM » 17 Dec 2014 23:22

And then there was silence, The Soulforged, Journey through the dark, And the story ends, The curse of Feanor. All very emotional songs that doesn't have to relate to any of my personal experiences to be touching. I think Hansi always had quite personal angles in many lyrics that deals with stories already told. This is especially clear on A Night at the Opera. By far the best (and most sad) lyrics on any album. Even though the songs deal with many different subjects, there is something of a red line through all the lyrics that to me seems more personal than on any other album.

ICBM

#19 Post by ICBM » 17 Dec 2014 23:38

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:The Maiden And The Minstrel Knight was "our song" for me and my ex-girlfriend, so for several years after she broke up with me I just couldn't listen to that song anymore due to the pain, only recently I could listen to it again without thinking back to that time too much...
(though the pain isn't fully gone, even while writing this I can feel tears welling up).
Seriously, you need to get out and see other women asap if your girlfriend broke up with you several years ago and you're still crying when thinking about it. It's just tragic to be hung up on something like that for so long. You will never be happy again if you don't change your mindset.

Warmoth

#20 Post by Warmoth » 18 Dec 2014 21:19

Avelar wrote:And Then There Was Silence. There were moments when this song brought tears to my eyes just because it is so emotional and epic.
"She's like the sunrise, outshines the moon at night. Precious like starlight" Get's me every time.
"Nightfall in Middle-Earth" has a lot of emotional moments throughout. It's not necessarily just listening to the songs, but having read the Silmarillion makes them hit harder.

Does Demons and Wizards count? "Down Where I am" "Fiddler on the Green" "Seize the Day" are a few that come to mind.

I love these goosebump/tearful moments. I think I read somewhere that not all people are capable of experiencing this? if that's true, that sucks. It can really attach a song to you.

bestpike

#21 Post by bestpike » 18 Dec 2014 21:53

ICBM wrote:
Gandalf de Grijze wrote:The Maiden And The Minstrel Knight was "our song" for me and my ex-girlfriend, so for several years after she broke up with me I just couldn't listen to that song anymore due to the pain, only recently I could listen to it again without thinking back to that time too much...
(though the pain isn't fully gone, even while writing this I can feel tears welling up).
Seriously, you need to get out and see other women asap if your girlfriend broke up with you several years ago and you're still crying when thinking about it. It's just tragic to be hung up on something like that for so long. You will never be happy again if you don't change your mindset.
There are different mentalities and personalities man, not everyone is affected the same way. You can also be in a very susceptible state when it hits you, i.e. when you don't expect it.
Forever to be free

Zhuge Liang

#22 Post by Zhuge Liang » 19 Dec 2014 01:42

Probably Wheel of Time. BG has always kind of inspired me to read. The Illiad, Silmarillion, and Dragonlance for example (Dragonlance was a combination of BG and my friends reading it, though). There were others I intended to read but never had, primarily Otherland. Surprisingly I've not read LOTR or the Hobbit, as I got into the band right around the LOTR movies came out so I never saw the need to. I didn't like Bilbo in those movies so that turned me away from the Hobbit at the time.

But never has this desire to read what they write about been stronger than with the Wheel of Time. I foresee in my lifetime that I will always be reading it in some capacity. The love for the series has spilled into my gaming life, I often create some of the characters in the games I play. It's generally always on my mind in some way.
"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." -Zhuge Liang

vlssstv

#23 Post by vlssstv » 21 Jan 2015 16:51

for me the discovery of "nime" as music lyrics and a style that felt (at the time) like it was written for me by friends. It is why I've stuck with them to this day.

Morbidian

#24 Post by Morbidian » 04 Feb 2015 15:06

My first audio cassette that I bought back in the 90's was ''Follow the Blind'', so you could say that whole album pretty much affected on me to go for with Guardians. Talking about that album, songs like ''Hall of the King'' and best ever instrumnetal ''Beyond the Ice'' are the ones that left the big impact on me, and still I like to hear those tracks, there's something with riffage, structure and melody lines in those tracks that's simply timeless.
When the sky is burning,
see the Moon falling down.
On your right is lightning.
See the war in the sky.

Remember Brian,
when it's time.
Remember Brian.

warchanter

#25 Post by warchanter » 04 Feb 2015 15:56

For me it's The Eldar.
It brings back bittersweet memories and makes me want to shout everytime I hear the last verses, just to feel relieved at the end.

Midnight

#26 Post by Midnight » 13 Feb 2015 23:34

Songs that give me courage are The New Order, Turn the Page and And the Story ends. The first one helped me especially a few years back when I broke up with my first love - Your soul is like water and like rain it will return. Live on in healing rain, the past will find release. and the other two are with me every time I do an important decision or help me go through something I might not otherwise do, which would lead to a personal stagnation or something worse. It's set up for you, come turn the wheel, there's nothing to fear. And we're not alone there's someone else too from the mirror's other side.

Also Blood Tears inspire me to help my friends for instance when it is necessary to express an uncomfortable opinion. Cut off your old friend's hand.

And of course The Wheel of Time which is for me the most emotional song ever and as mentioned above it also made me read the whole series. Thanks to NIME I actually started reading books.

There are many more songs that have been inspiring for me ever since I started listening to BG but I will not bore you more. I will just say I hold BG as one of the dearest things I have and thanks to them I believe I am a better person.

It is educative, inspiring and of course enjoyable.
Last edited by Midnight on 19 Feb 2015 13:37, edited 1 time in total.

priderock

#27 Post by priderock » 13 Feb 2015 23:42

Midnight wrote:Songs that give me courage are The New Order, Turn the Page and And the Story ends. The first one helped me especially a few years back when I broke up with my first love - Your soul is like water and like rain it will return. Live on in healing rain, the past will find release. and the other two are with me every time I do an important decision or help me go through something I might not otherwise do, which would lead to a personal stagnation or something worse. It's set up for you, come turn the wheel, there's nothing to fear. And we're not alone there's someone else too from the mirror's other side.

Also Blood Tears inspire me to help my friends for instance when it is necessary to express an uncomfortable opinion. Cut of your old friend's hand.

And of course The Wheel of Time which is for me the most emotional song ever and as mentioned above it also made me read the whole series. Thanks to NIME I actually started reading books.

There are many more songs that have been inspiring for me ever since I started listening to BG but I will not bore you more. I will just say I hold BG as one of the dearest things I have and thanks to them I believe I am a better person.

It is educative, inspiring and of course enjoyable.

Very touching!!! Thanks for sharing it! They're music also help to me in a a very similar directions as yours...The song to me is probably Wheel Of Time...it's really the most emotional one...

txusinho

#28 Post by txusinho » 14 Feb 2015 19:56

bestpike wrote:Very general question, simply which song either touches you emotionally (not in a somber way necessarily) the most, or has accompanied you through your life (good or bad events), or has affected your life somehow. For me the song Turn the Page has been a great help when going through some massive (positive) changes in my life.
New member here. Hi you all.
Blind guardian's been my favorite band since I was 17. Now 34

I'll be father in less than two weeks, and I must say that I'm living now the most incredible days of my life. Listening to the opening of "the ninth wave" is currently the most touching song, since I feel it as the rise of a new work, a new life.
In the past I had other touching songs. As I evolve, the touching songs change. Life is change :)

"Sail on till you reach the promised land"
Mi promised land is coming in less than two weeks.

Thank you for the topic. First time I sign in to any forum to discuss.

"Bards you are.."

priderock

#29 Post by priderock » 14 Feb 2015 23:04

txusinho wrote:
bestpike wrote:Very general question, simply which song either touches you emotionally (not in a somber way necessarily) the most, or has accompanied you through your life (good or bad events), or has affected your life somehow. For me the song Turn the Page has been a great help when going through some massive (positive) changes in my life.
New member here. Hi you all.
Blind guardian's been my favorite band since I was 17. Now 34

I'll be father in less than two weeks, and I must say that I'm living now the most incredible days of my life. Listening to the opening of "the ninth wave" is currently the most touching song, since I feel it as the rise of a new work, a new life.
In the past I had other touching songs. As I evolve, the touching songs change. Life is change :)

"Sail on till you reach the promised land"
Mi promised land is coming in less than two weeks.

Thank you for the topic. First time I sign in to any forum to discuss.

"Bards you are.."

Thanks for sharing this, man!!! You just wrote what I am dreaming for...expecting a baby and a brand new BG album in the same year!!! WOW, really hope to live this someday! :) I'm really happy for you and let God bless your upcoming child! :)
Seriously, what a great moment..and, Yeah, the beginning of The Ninth Wave is great for it!!! :D

icedmetal

#30 Post by icedmetal » 15 Feb 2015 01:13

Hi all, old member coming back (seriously 10+ years since I was last on the forums).

Blind Guardian helped me survive my teenage years relatively intact. Morder's Song is the first BG song I'd ever heard. IFTOS, NIME and ANATO all hold special places for me (even that bloody beep in Under the Ice :D ).

The progress of the band has kept them new yet constant in my life which has changed so much over the past decade.

Max

#31 Post by Max » 29 Apr 2015 16:08

Hi there,

in my case, there can only be mentioned one: "When sorrow sang".

The very part when Hansi sings:

"I feel like screaming
But I can't breath in
Shall I wane right now
I will not leave this
World of living
Till she has said
Goodbye"

Whenever a hear that part, I am touched so intense that I have to fight upcoming tears ...
Hansi's voice in this passage perfectly matches the epic feeling I've had when reading the part in the Silmarillion - Thank you Blind Guardian for every time I can have that feeling !
Follow the blind
Your journey, your last hope, it can begin
These passing dreams were real no fantasy
There are more things than we know
Come take my hand

Arenvir

#32 Post by Arenvir » 29 Apr 2015 18:51

That would be Into the Storm and Time stands still, the first BG Songs i´ve ever heard. My love of the Silmarillion Stories brought me to BG and especially NIME.

Nothing cooler than King Fingolfin dueling Morgoth:

"He gleam´s like a star
And the sound of his horn's
Like a raging storm
Proudly the high lord
Challenges doom
Lord of slaves he cries!"

Jon The Wise

#33 Post by Jon The Wise » 25 Sep 2015 17:08

Wow, such an influential band to me and my style of writing metal songs. So many of them have affected the way I live and deal with situations so it's hard to pick any certain tracks but here's a fistful:

Bright Eyes
Goodbye My Friend
Miracle Machine
The Last Candle
Banish From Sanctuary
Skalds & Shadows

brazilian_bard

#34 Post by brazilian_bard » 02 Oct 2015 18:21

Interesting topic! Bestpike, you're the best 8)

I have a special feeling about the SfB album, cuz when I first listened to it, it was a complex and sensible delicate age for me, I was experiencing many emotional changes and new feelings in my life, as a teenager. Like I've already said here in another topic, the first BG album I've listened to was FtB, after this I've bought the SfB CD.

I would point a song or another, but it's useless. The whole album is so deep and dense. Time What is Time intro shows that there are serious things to come along the album. For sure, I've already cried listening to Theatre of Pain, at some point of my life. But the following songs dried all the tears.

The sea was clear
On the day I was stranded
Answers I'd known
To keep this all alive
But I can't change it
Forever...

LotR has the same power, both versions. For sure, I've already cried listening to this song too. But all the tears stoped before the end of the song. I'm Brazilian, and although I speak english, I don't know EU culture very well. So I get the lyrics, the music, and my imagination.

'The Hobbit' for sure is the best BG song for me at all. How did these guys made a song like this?
I speak first as a musician, since my 10 yo, and as a music fan too... I think few other music gave me the visions this album and specially this song did. I think you guys can laugh at me, I liked the re-recorded version, but some small details bother me a bit, like some things on the drums that for ME didn't fit very well, and a guitar solo bend Andre didn't made on the new version, closest when Hansi sings "I'M ALIVE", that for me it's one of the 'peaks' of the song. He didn't made the bend, and just played the note. But of course, it's a re-recording. So it's OK. Only the fact they've re-recorded this song made me very happy, because it shows a lot of people must like this song too.

Speaking of other albums, about the music itself, those are the songs that most deeply hits my heart - what doesn't mean I don't like the other songs, but those sound more deep, emotional to me:
A Past and Future Secret, Another Holy War, To France version, Blood Tears, The Eldar, Precious Jerusalem, Sacred, Road of no Release, Curse my Name, War of the Thrones and Miracle Machine... and that's it.

:)

Stuwie

#35 Post by Stuwie » 02 Oct 2015 22:09

It's such a well written song! - It's my favourite, well, one of my favourites.

I don't know if it counts, but one time (after getting high, oops) I was walking home around 1/2am, and I decided to listen to Blind Guardian. As always, I choose a song from a playlist I create with my favourite songs (which consists around 40/50 haha), but after playing through a few, it finally came to Skalds and Shadows. But for some weird reason, I had this "super very happy" feeling for around 2/3 seconds. It just hit me suddenly, and disappeared. It was such a weird, but amazing experience.

Jon The Wise

#36 Post by Jon The Wise » 03 Oct 2015 17:26

I have had some quite similar experiences with Skalds & Shadows as well. Getting high in the forest and listening to it is quite surreal. All Guardian ballads have brought tears to my eyes at some point but more so some of the tracks on The second Demons & Wizards album. I must also mention Mordred's Song, and Journey Through The Dark, they always strike some chords deep within' my soul. And The Story Ends, also very relatable.

brazilian_bard

#37 Post by brazilian_bard » 03 Oct 2015 18:28

Excuse me for a while guys, for changing the topic a few minutes. The bards last night show setlist was posted on facebook, and I'm really excited about it, hopefully it will be the exactly same here in Rio next week. Fuck. Its perfect:

SETLIST - FORTALEZA - 02/OUT/15
01 The Ninth Wave
02 Banish From Sanctuary
03 Nightfall
04 Fly
05 Tanelorn (Into the Void)
06 Prophecies
07 The Last Candle
08 Lord Of The Rings
09 Mordred's Song
10 Majesty
11 I'm Alive
12 And Then There Was Silence
13 Sacred Worlds
14 Twilight Of The Gods
15 Valhalla
16 War of Wrath / Into The Storm
17 The Bard's Song - In The Forest
18 Mirror Mirror

Oh my God. :o
Thanks.

Jon The Wise

#38 Post by Jon The Wise » 16 Oct 2015 21:59

Yeah, I would be so happy to see that set. Mordred's Song and I'm Alive would do it for me! As for the new stuff I can really relate to the new album, my life needed a breath of fresh air and new vibes to give me hope and press forward. Lines like "welcome the last day of our lives" and "we don't talk we don't care anymore" and "reeeach for a new horizon" among many other lines here were just what I have been waiting for as of late. Miracle Machine is perfect, just what we all need, a miracle. Could not be more thankful for the existence of this band.