What do you [musically] expect from them?

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
brazilian_bard

What do you [musically] expect from them?

#1 Post by brazilian_bard » 07 Jan 2014 20:51

Just like waiting for Desolation of Smaug. I feel the same way about the bards.
This wait is getting too long... I'm with big expectations. Think about their whole discography. Now, think about their last 3 albums. Think about orchestral and acoustic motivations and themes...think about middle-earth... think about some declarations that were recently given by Hansi, if I'm not wrong, about making some serious really new stuff, declarations about musical tone weight... I feel there is someting epic to come... in the end, Desolation of Smaug was worth the wait.

Think about Sacred, Tanelorn into the Void, Road of no Release, Curse my Name, Wheel of Time...

I think there is some really new music to come. I mean... I loved ATITM, ATEOT and MOATTC... I feel those albums like a transition... I'm sorry to quote Metallica, those who know their history and discography will know what I mean... they started with a style, so years began to pass, and the music started changing... they had several journeys into their own darknesses... and, like life, like the world, they just arrive at a point that were totally known for them, but in a whole new way. Like a popular speech here in Brasil, "the world turns and always stops at the same point" and I say: in a whole new way.

Maybe, it's just my own expectations about the bards. I'm a little bit avid for their new material. :D

Frozen within

Re: What do you [musically] expect from them?

#2 Post by Frozen within » 14 Jan 2014 22:12

:shock: What, are you saying that BG is still an active band ?

Didn't Marcus become a pro skater, and didn't Andre marry Cortana last year (much to the Chief's annoyance btw ...) ?

Well, I wouldn't mind some new BG, although I haven't really listened to their latest album yet to be honest.
Eat more vegetables !

bard_92

#3 Post by bard_92 » 16 Jan 2014 01:05

I totally agree with your opinion ! After hearing ATEOT, MOATTC and ATGTSAT a can say that these guys will make a whole new vision about talking to music.
The songs that you mention are probably so high leveled attracting to composition, production,complexity, motivation and so on...
I can feel that the upcoming 2 albums will probably break the point aboult talking to what epic "is" !!! I really think that the world "epic" will need an absolutely new translation in the dictionary ;)
What more can I say...just hoping to have some news as soon as possible ... :)

Zook

#4 Post by Zook » 16 Jan 2014 01:10

Frozen within wrote: Well, I wouldn't mind some new BG, although I haven't really listened to their latest album yet to be honest.
It's been almost 4 years. What are you waiting for?

Frozen within

#5 Post by Frozen within » 17 Jan 2014 20:42

Well, there's just so much other good stuff out there you know. Guess it's just a matter of time before I get to it though :D
Eat more vegetables !

Zook

#6 Post by Zook » 18 Jan 2014 00:52

But... 4 YEARS!

Angus

#7 Post by Angus » 18 Jan 2014 22:22

More like 3 1/2 years.

Zook

#8 Post by Zook » 19 Jan 2014 17:12

:|

Rokubota

#9 Post by Rokubota » 22 Mar 2014 21:52

Less Celtic shit and more fresh sounds and melodies please, Wheel Of Time was the only classic song in the last album IMO, everything else in the record is either decent or forgettable material once the hype fades away. Hansi has become very lazy in the clean low key parts lately, live and in the albums where he sings them in a very flat way.

When you think a little bit about it, the last time he was really on fire in a record was the first Demons&Wizards album. I mean, his performance in that record (fiddler of the green, Path Of Glory, My last Sunrise) is amazing, you can hear a lot of feeling and emotion in it and Blind Guardian is lacking in that department lately IMO.

I pretty sure the Orchestra Project will show this much better. You can't be inspired all the time in your career and a lot it has to do with good luck like in the case of Wheel of Time.

Ryu

#10 Post by Ryu » 24 Mar 2014 09:44

Only one song from the upcoming album sounds like it may have a kind of celtic influence, but really, they've maintained at least a song an album with that kind of feel since TFTTW. if you'd count Lord of the Rings.

Curse My Name was originally my favorite from ATEOT, and while I'm actually sick of it now, it remains one of their most accessible and interesting songs. Most people I share it with end up liking it, regardless of their taste. If that doesn't speak to the quality of a track, I don't know what does. However, Valkyries/Control the Divine/War of the Thrones/Sacred Worlds (yes, I actually don't get the hype surrounding it) are skipped pretty readily, along with Curse My Name when I listen.

As for his voice, he's aging, but their last shows have sounded better than most from 2002-2009. He has his ups and downs. There's a few really amazing versions of Somewhere Far Beyond performed live from a couple years back. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqYUZ9N ... kw&index=8 I don't think he could feasibly do much better these days.

And... freshness. Well, there's something inspired by ELP on the next album, so, we'll see how that turns out. Often their "freshness" is frowned upon by fans beckoning for a return to their early nineties sound. BG fans are incredibly hard to please. However, I do feel Tanelorn (Into the Void) could've meshed pretty well with IFTOS, and Ride into Obsession has the speed of their eighties sound mixed with the extremely infectious choirs and vocal quirks of ANATO. Ride is my favorite from the album, easily, as it appeals to really every sound they've ever explored.
Defiant of destiny

Perse

#11 Post by Perse » 25 Mar 2014 13:05

To be honest I don't need another celtic ballad like skalds & shadows, a past and future secret, lord of the rings... Those are good songs, but something new would be cool. I think that's why I prefer the piano version of war of the thrones over the acoustic one. I don't doubt that they can write another kickass cetic-acoustic song, they have proven it several times. But I don't see the need to prove it again.

Vocalwise I think ateot is a pretty strong album. It contains some of the lowest (sacred worlds) and some of the highest (tanelorn, valkyries) parts Hansi has ever done. It would be awesome if he is able to maintain this level.
Here is an interview with him, where he talks especially about his singing, warming up and the problems he faces on tour: http://www.modernvocaltraining.com/hansikursch.htm

Ryu

#12 Post by Ryu » 26 Mar 2014 03:25

I think listeners just expect it from them anymore. The less core listenership are pretty infatuated with The Bard's Song, so I almost feel like a song like Skalds was an attempt to have a more universal appeal in the ATITM era. The few live performances of Skalds suggest it was not very well-received at all, and it's sort of vanished from setlists since the ATITM tour.
Defiant of destiny

bestpike

#13 Post by bestpike » 26 Mar 2014 10:43

My expectations are that this band has already reached their pinnacle with ANATO, which is actually higher than any other band I know. But everyone has their creative limits, and since ANATO they released one excellent album (ateot) and one solid (atitm). My expectations are not really high, but that means I wont be dissapointed probably :D. I mean, after Dark Knight, did you really expect something more from Nolan? (but he indeed delivered a really strong sequel anyway).
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Gandalf de Grijze

#14 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 26 Mar 2014 11:12

I really loved AtEoT, it surprised me in many ways, and to me it showed that they are still going strong with fresh melodies and amazing ideas. I'm expecting they will take another step in that direction, which combines the strong aspects of their older (middle) albums, especially IFTOS & NIME, and the fresh and at times experimental bombastic elements of their last couple of albums.
All in all I'm expecting a lot and I am fairly certain that they will deliver more than that...
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Rokubota

#15 Post by Rokubota » 22 Apr 2014 06:16

They have lost the agression of the past when lthey play live and also in the studio. When you see the videos from the 1991-1995 era is amazing how full of energy they were, Andre headbanging like crazy during a solo that sounds flawless, he was a beast back in the day just like Marcus.

They have slow down and the records have lost something, the roughness and agression in their sound is not there anymore. It's not their fault.

Ryu

#16 Post by Ryu » 22 Apr 2014 07:50

Rokubota wrote:They have lost the agression of the past when lthey play live and also in the studio. When you see the videos from the 1991-1995 era is amazing how full of energy they were, Andre headbanging like crazy during a solo that sounds flawless, he was a beast back in the day just like Marcus.

They have slow down and the records have lost something, the roughness and agression in their sound is not there anymore. It's not their fault.
They're like, 45-48. I'm 24 and headbanging that hard for a half hour fucking kills
Defiant of destiny

Gandalf de Grijze

#17 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 22 Apr 2014 08:56

I actually don't mind the lack of agressiveness in general, I never really found their more agressive songs to be the best songs anyway...
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands

Rokubota

#18 Post by Rokubota » 22 Apr 2014 09:59

Aging sucks balls, no doubt. Marcus is still energetic somehow, he has a secret and don't want to share it with the others 8) .

I'm Alive is an agressive song and one of their very best IMO. It's a shame that they don't play it at all anymore.

Ryu

#19 Post by Ryu » 22 Apr 2014 10:59

Fred and Marcus genuinely get in to the music every time I watch them perform, Fred especially. He's only around 40, which helps with that. Comparatively Andre does the least in terms of 'getting in' to it. He also seems not to sing much, but I've always viewed him as shy and being rather softspoken.

Even Mi could be seen getting in to it, which is both weird and funny. Most of the time he'd just kind of be standing back there and tapping the keyboard as he headbanged. ;)

Hansi makes an effort to headbang (slowly) and likes to... do this thing where he looks like he's hugging the crowd intensely. To be honest, after Hansi stopped playing bass, I think he stopped any really intense showmanship. It's alright, though. Highs and lows. I'm excited to see them on the stage after an extended break next month. I'm sure they'll show their colors.
Defiant of destiny

bestpike

#20 Post by bestpike » 22 Apr 2014 11:10

It seems to me that the less energetic side of BG during lives, i.e. Hansi and Andre are just there to deliver purely the music, and not really a show in itself (for example unlike Helloween, who are even bringing out people dressed as doctors during Dr. Stein). I have no problem at all with that, as the performances are always great. However, I have to admit that putting on a show can turn a live around even if a band doesn't have many good songs or if the audience doesn't know the songs really well. Thus in BG shows probably the ones who are getting their money's worth are the more hardcore fans, and maybe this is why BG audiences are always crazed (at least in Greece).
Forever to be free

Rokubota

#21 Post by Rokubota » 22 Apr 2014 21:06

bestpike wrote:It seems to me that the less energetic side of BG during lives, i.e. Hansi and Andre are just there to deliver purely the music, and not really a show in itself (for example unlike Helloween, who are even bringing out people dressed as doctors during Dr. Stein). I have no problem at all with that, as the performances are always great. However, I have to admit that putting on a show can turn a live around even if a band doesn't have many good songs or if the audience doesn't know the songs really well. Thus in BG shows probably the ones who are getting their money's worth are the more hardcore fans, and maybe this is why BG audiences are always crazed (at least in Greece).

And It' s sad because if you want to make an impact in an audience that's not familiar with your music you need to deliver a good show for them. They played for an audience in the metalfest Chile in 2012 that was there mostly for the thrash metal bands and the comments from most of the people were that BG was a boring band and they had a similar reaction in the 70000 tons of metal festival in 2011, the hardcore fans loved it but the rest were bored to death XD.

bestpike

#22 Post by bestpike » 22 Apr 2014 22:34

Rokubota wrote:
And It' s sad because if you want to make an impact in an audience that's not familiar with your music you need to deliver a good show for them. They played for an audience in the metalfest Chile in 2012 that was there mostly for the thrash metal bands and the comments from most of the people were that BG was a boring band and they had a similar reaction in the 70000 tons of metal festival in 2011, the hardcore fans loved it but the rest were bored to death XD.
Yep, that pretty much happens as far as I can tell. BG probably do not win over any fans during festivals, but it is worth every penny for the already initiated. Blind Guardian take their music pretty seriously, every album is great and unique, so I think they see the concerts similarly as a chance to professionally execute live their songs, instead of giving a show per se.
Forever to be free

Rokubota

#23 Post by Rokubota » 23 Apr 2014 01:00

bestpike wrote:
Rokubota wrote:
Yep, that pretty much happens as far as I can tell. BG probably do not win over any fans during festivals, but it is worth every penny for the already initiated. Blind Guardian take their music pretty seriously, every album is great and unique, so I think they see the concerts similarly as a chance to professionally execute live their songs, instead of giving a show per se.
The old school fans say that BG have become very pretentious with time. IMO a song needs to rock to be good and doesn't matter if it's complex or very simple.

Ryu

#24 Post by Ryu » 23 Apr 2014 06:50

Are there examples of bands which have sounded the same from album to album, consistently, without a drop in quality?

The "old BG fan" would seem to prefer 10 albums that sound like Tales from The Twilight World/Somewhere Far Beyond.
Defiant of destiny

bard_92

#25 Post by bard_92 » 23 Apr 2014 11:08

Ryu wrote:
The "old BG fan" would seem to prefer 10 albums that sound like Tales from The Twilight World/Somewhere Far Beyond.
So TRUE, my friend !!!!

That's why they are best..because they are different and really creative !!! :)

Rokubota

#26 Post by Rokubota » 24 Apr 2014 06:00

It's very easy to play that card but there are some people that like all their albums until NIME and hate the new ones. Take for example this guy.

http://www.metaltraveller.com/en/gigs/b ... _2010.html

Of course the guy has very harsh words for the performance in Paris but he IMO made the wrong analysis when he said that the people didn't like the new songs or ATEOT in general, he assumed that his taste was the general opinion.

Some people liked the new songs, If the crowd sings your riffs and melodies it means that you made something good, no doubt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoJdGqR58aw

but the point remains, some people doesn't care for BG post-NIME

Gandalf de Grijze

#27 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 24 Apr 2014 08:41

I guess part of the problem is that the Paris concert was the 3rd gig of the new tour, with the new album still being really new (less than a month old if I recall correctly), while the clip is from south-america, where the fans have had more than 6 months (maybe even a year) to listen to the new album.

Twister

#28 Post by Twister » 24 Apr 2014 19:40

And another part of the problem may be that since NIME they've been playing over and over the same old songs, leaving just a few spots for the new - never giving the new songs a chance to have a real impact on the crowds, they were just "fillers" between classics; or at least this is how a crowd would take them.
I remember an old live video of Skalds and Shadows (from the ATITM tour) where the crowd is a bit meh and Hansi just states: "Well, this song HAS the potential, after all, but…"

I love the Blind Guardian material. All of it, and this of course includes the post-NIME stuff. I love how they can get into new challenges, different production, still trying to use sounds they've never used before (ie. violin or the tip tap), but they just don't give those new songs enough space on the set lists. They're still daring, but only in the studio - live, they don't have the same "courage", they don't play that stuff much. It's like not believing enough in your own new material.

I'm aware of the fact that after a four-five year gap people would want to hear the classics, but damn, a wait of four years and I've got 11 songs of out 17 that I had already got four years before? That's quite a shame, since I love all their material, as I said, and I would love to hear plenty of it, not just a part - the same part all over again. I did it enjoy a lot, but it was still veeery similar to the previous gig… not enough "unique", let's say.
And I'm not complaining of enjoying twice The Bard's Song or Imaginations From the Other Side, but… Born in a Mourning Hall, for instance? On the other hand, Wheel of Time live was just amazing, as I love the live version of Fly!

I once did this fanboy thing of following Porcupine Tree on the whole italian tour, and I got more different songs from one night to another than with BG in four years. :P

In an interview, Hansi stated that they feel comfortable playing the old classics because they know that people would react well to them and so give positive vibes to the gig. And I have to say that when they played This Will Never End, the crowd reaction was really a lot lower than with Bright Eyes.

I don't think they're changing this now, but I will go to their new concerts anyway. I still love them, they're one of the very few metal bands I still listen to and not because they're some kind of teenage love, but because I find them to be really something, musically.

Back to the topic, I expect them to continue what they're doing. I absolutely trust them.
"Well, I was about to announce the next song, but I think we'll have to skip it...
Yeah, because we have a pretty sad song here, and you all seem so happy to me...!"

(Hansi Kursch)

Rokubota

#29 Post by Rokubota » 24 Apr 2014 21:39

They changed the setlits in the ATEOT Tour, ATEOT was very well represented in the tour and the stadistics say so. I love nightfall but that song is overplayed, Noldor could be a cool replacement.

Sacred is not a very good song to start a concert IMO, they can play an acoustic version of War Of Trones instead and the opener needs to be a killer fast and energetic song. Straight Through The Mirror deserves an oportunity and Turn The Page sounds really good live (never liked Fly to be honest). I'm Alive needs to be played more often, that song would be very helpful in festivals like the 70000 tons of metal, When Sorrow Sang has been played by tribute bands and the reaction is great.