Page 10 of 34

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Nov 2014 11:48
by loren
I wonder what happened to the "Nightfall In Middle Earth" songs they finished with the latest sessions/recordings.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Nov 2014 12:58
by Gandalf de Grijze
I don't mind the earbook thing, actually I quite like those limited editions with crazy stuff...

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 11 Nov 2014 05:51
by Palantyre
I am here to inform you all that Felipe Machado Franco is a goddamn cancer upon the world of metal album cover art and needs to go jump in front of a running combine harvester.

That's all, carry on.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 11 Nov 2014 07:30
by Ryu
Palantyre wrote:I am here to inform you all that Felipe Machado Franco is a goddamn cancer upon the world of metal album cover art and needs to go jump in front of a running combine harvester.

That's all, carry on.
This is about the sentiment of hundreds of fans on the BG facebook as well, directly to their post about the new album.

They haven't rushed to defend his work, I wonder how they feel about it at this point.

An album's cover is as meaningful as its defining track. I'd like to think they aren't settling for less than they're worth. With that in mind, ATEOT's best track is certainly leagues beyond its cover in terms of quality and evocation.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 11 Nov 2014 08:34
by bard_92
In my opinion the red one is probably the best Guardian cover till now !!! I found it it mysterious, epic, and somehow operatic and classical !

And I didn't see what's wrong with the blue one...it's not that bad, I like the world it describes... !!!
So, I'm absolutely fine with the covers...and I'm in love with the red one !!! But at the end, the important thing is the music, and I'm absolutely sure that this time there would be nothing equal to it in the world !!!!

So, in personal, I'm much more than happy and satisfied !!!
Come on, guys... we were waiting this for nearly 5 years...they said "three classical choirs", "two orchestras", 12 songs, I'm sure that this will be the "album of the albums", "the holy grail" for them...and at the end we're talking about the cover...

Just don't get it !, Seriously, I don't get it !!!

Now, I'm really thankful to them, cause all I can see is that they paid so much more for this album:
Creativity, ambitious, personal time, money and much more...

and once again...We're talking about the cover...


P.S.
And let me tell you something..I prefer all their money to go for the choirs..not for some cover, at the end that's what will come to my ears and makes glory and happiness to my spirit !!!!

God bless you bards, I love you !!!

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 11 Nov 2014 09:38
by Ryu
bard_92 wrote:In my opinion the red one is probably the best Guardian cover till now !!! I found it it mysterious, epic, and somehow operatic and classical !

And I didn't see what's wrong with the blue one...it's not that bad, I like the world it describes... !!!
So, I'm absolutely fine with the covers...and I'm in love with the red one !!! But at the end, the important thing is the music, and I'm absolutely sure that this time there would be nothing equal to it in the world !!!!

So, in personal, I'm much more than happy and satisfied !!!
Come on, guys... we were waiting this for nearly 5 years...they said "three classical choirs", "two orchestras", 12 songs, I'm sure that this will be the "album of the albums", "the holy grail" for them...and at the end we're talking about the cover...

Just don't get it !, Seriously, I don't get it !!!

Now, I'm really thankful to them, cause all I can see is that they paid so much more for this album:
Creativity, ambitious, personal time, money and much more...

and once again...We're talking about the cover...


P.S.
And let me tell you something..I prefer all their money to go for the choirs..not for some cover, at the end that's what will come to my ears and makes glory and happiness to my spirit !!!!

God bless you bards, I love you !!!
I'm particularly hyped by the fact 12 original tracks from them on a single release (this excludes covers, alternate versions, or any of the NIME dramatic pieces) is the most we've ever gotten, though it did happen on ATITM as well, if you count All the King's Horses and discount Dead Sound of Misery.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 11 Nov 2014 23:58
by Palantyre
I just don't have anything much to say about the album until I can actually hear something.
I mean sure I'm bloody excited that new BG is coming and so soon even, but.... what else is there to say? Well, I hope it'll be a good album, and I hope the production won't be shit. That's about it.

All the choirs, orchestras and whatnot will amount to exactly dick all if the songwriting isn't good or if the production can't handle them (which I'm not confident about since it's Charlie Boogerfiend again).
"Oh but they're saying this will be the album of albums!" Yeah well guess what, bands say things like that about their upcoming albums all the time.

It's absolutely true, in the end it's really the music that matters. Not even the most hideous cover art can ruin a great album (see Iron Maiden - Dance of Death).
But as long as the only thing to say about the album itself is "Yeah I hope it will be good", people will settle with talking about the peripherals, like in this case album art.

And I want to clarify: I'm not being pessimistic about the album. I really am excited. I just have nothign else to say about that.


But as for Felipe Machado Franco's artwork, it's not just a case of "Oh no hes ruining my Blind Guardimans!!1", it's more widespread than that.

He's doing the artwork for so, so many bands nowadays and IT ALL LOOKS THE GODDAMN SAME. It'll be a near-monochrome picture of some kind of figure in some mist or smoke or whatever and there will be ~*TOTALLY AWESOME ENERGY BURSTS OMG U GUYS*~ in brilliant orange or red against the blue-grey-greenish backdrop. Sure, they can be cool images on their own, but he seems to have zero originality outside that One Thing and he's just inundating the whole scene with this horseshit. It's really tiring.

And it wouldn't even be that bad if he varied his colour usage some more, but as it stands he just keeps participating in the same ham-fisted complimentary colours craze that's been making all movies and movie posters coloured teal and orange for the last few years.

I mean seriously, look at this stuff: http://finalfrontier.thunderblast.net/covers2007.html
The guy isn't an artist, he's an engineer.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 12 Nov 2014 01:01
by Ryu
Palantyre wrote:I just don't have anything much to say about the album until I can actually hear something.
I mean sure I'm bloody excited that new BG is coming and so soon even, but.... what else is there to say? Well, I hope it'll be a good album, and I hope the production won't be shit. That's about it.

All the choirs, orchestras and whatnot will amount to exactly dick all if the songwriting isn't good or if the production can't handle them (which I'm not confident about since it's Charlie Boogerfiend again).
"Oh but they're saying this will be the album of albums!" Yeah well guess what, bands say things like that about their upcoming albums all the time.

It's absolutely true, in the end it's really the music that matters. Not even the most hideous cover art can ruin a great album (see Iron Maiden - Dance of Death).
But as long as the only thing to say about the album itself is "Yeah I hope it will be good", people will settle with talking about the peripherals, like in this case album art.

And I want to clarify: I'm not being pessimistic about the album. I really am excited. I just have nothign else to say about that.


But as for Felipe Machado Franco's artwork, it's not just a case of "Oh no hes ruining my Blind Guardimans!!1", it's more widespread than that.

He's doing the artwork for so, so many bands nowadays and IT ALL LOOKS THE GODDAMN SAME. It'll be a near-monochrome picture of some kind of figure in some mist or smoke or whatever and there will be ~*TOTALLY AWESOME ENERGY BURSTS OMG U GUYS*~ in brilliant orange or red against the blue-grey-greenish backdrop. Sure, they can be cool images on their own, but he seems to have zero originality outside that One Thing and he's just inundating the whole scene with this horseshit. It's really tiring.

And it wouldn't even be that bad if he varied his colour usage some more, but as it stands he just keeps participating in the same ham-fisted complimentary colours craze that's been making all movies and movie posters coloured teal and orange for the last few years.

I mean seriously, look at this stuff: http://finalfrontier.thunderblast.net/covers2007.html
The guy isn't an artist, he's an engineer.
You're right, all we've got are two LP covers and a single cover to dissect, apart from a tracklist, and they render my initial impression "potentially better than ATITM and ATEOT".

I suppose the fact he's (Machado) so ubiquitous could serve as some kind of commentary on the aesthetic tastes of the average Eurometal/etc band's members. Don't they have a say? Most of that is miserably overwrought, like Digital Blasphemy wallpapers for a burgeoning Hot Topic youth

This may be a stretch but I feel like the album cover was done before the title was considered. "The Red Door" was a provisional title, and the red rectangular thing on both covers could easily pass as a door of sorts. Did he just hand them the works only to have them go "guys this looks like a red door or a mirror flip a coin"

Whatever. Unless their label is siphoning this guy's works down their throats, I genuinely feel like these (some of them genuinely great for their genre) bands have lost touch with what looks "good".

Edit: Overture of the Wicked looks nearly hand-drawn! What the fuck!

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 12 Nov 2014 01:18
by sciacallo010
Palantyre wrote:I just don't have anything much to say about the album until I can actually hear something.
I mean sure I'm bloody excited that new BG is coming and so soon even, but.... what else is there to say? Well, I hope it'll be a good album, and I hope the production won't be shit. That's about it.

All the choirs, orchestras and whatnot will amount to exactly dick all if the songwriting isn't good or if the production can't handle them (which I'm not confident about since it's Charlie Boogerfiend again).
"Oh but they're saying this will be the album of albums!" Yeah well guess what, bands say things like that about their upcoming albums all the time.

It's absolutely true, in the end it's really the music that matters. Not even the most hideous cover art can ruin a great album (see Iron Maiden - Dance of Death).
But as long as the only thing to say about the album itself is "Yeah I hope it will be good", people will settle with talking about the peripherals, like in this case album art.

And I want to clarify: I'm not being pessimistic about the album. I really am excited. I just have nothign else to say about that.


But as for Felipe Machado Franco's artwork, it's not just a case of "Oh no hes ruining my Blind Guardimans!!1", it's more widespread than that.

He's doing the artwork for so, so many bands nowadays and IT ALL LOOKS THE GODDAMN SAME. It'll be a near-monochrome picture of some kind of figure in some mist or smoke or whatever and there will be ~*TOTALLY AWESOME ENERGY BURSTS OMG U GUYS*~ in brilliant orange or red against the blue-grey-greenish backdrop. Sure, they can be cool images on their own, but he seems to have zero originality outside that One Thing and he's just inundating the whole scene with this horseshit. It's really tiring.

And it wouldn't even be that bad if he varied his colour usage some more, but as it stands he just keeps participating in the same ham-fisted complimentary colours craze that's been making all movies and movie posters coloured teal and orange for the last few years.

I mean seriously, look at this stuff: http://finalfrontier.thunderblast.net/covers2007.html
The guy isn't an artist, he's an engineer.
Thank you.
Seriously, I totally agree with you and I couldn't write it better.
And I'm also grateful to read that I'm not the only one to think that the cover thing his going beyond the only "oh that's a bad cover" (I'm also having a kind of confirm on the petition I wrote and posted a few pages ago, it's collecting quite a lot of signatures since the new cover was revealed).

Guys, until they release at least some simples, there's nothing to talk about music-wise, but our hopes.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 12 Nov 2014 01:47
by ErHaO
Yeah, that is true. There is some terrible, terrible stuff on his site. But when he deviates from his way overused cliches he can make some pretty good art actually.

Examples of this are The Fiction Maze by Persuader, Within the Hour and I love the alternate Nightfall in Middle Earth cover in the boxset as well (special edition disc). His work in the booklet of ATEOT looked very nice too, and connected pretty well to the songs overall. I like the cover with the red mirror also. Simple but effective I'd say.

I hope the booklet for the Red Mirror is of similar quality.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 12 Nov 2014 02:21
by sciacallo010
ErHaO wrote:I love the alternate Nightfall in Middle Earth cover in the boxset as well (special edition disc).
Me too.
I've always thought that that cover is the perfect example of what Machado is capable of: doing good (even great) artworks and spoiling everything with a bad (or just overused) choice of colours.
I love the design of that artwork, I hate the colours he used.

On the other hand the Overture of the Wicked's cover that was quoted above makes me mad: how is it possible that the goddamn Machado is capable of doing artworks that good and he is doing this?!

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 12 Nov 2014 17:53
by Andreas
Gandalf de Grijze wrote:I don't mind the earbook thing, actually I quite like those limited editions with crazy stuff...
So do I. But an earbook? Like Freaky said, they're very unhandy. When I'll look at my CD collection, it'd be an eyecatcher. And for that, it has to be a monumental album, or at least better than (or equally good as) ATEOT. I mean, the earbook version of the new Sabaton album had some nice goodies too. And although the album was so good that it more than made up for the turd that was Carolus Rex, it wasn't worth paying double for an extra CD with three covers.

On the other hand, Blind Guardian has a good habit of making monumental albums since 1990 IMO, so I'm kinda getting used to the idea.

And I sincerely hope the extra CD will contain the lost NIME songs. Unfortunately, that's the best case scenario.

Palantyre wrote:I am here to inform you all that Felipe Machado Franco is a goddamn cancer upon the world of metal album cover art and needs to go jump in front of a running combine harvester.

That's all, carry on.
That's a bit much, I just wish he'd never come near a computer again. More humane, same effect for us.

By the way, some of his stuff is acceptable. For instance, I like his cover for the Evertale album. However, he's not Blind Guardian-acceptable.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 12 Nov 2014 21:05
by Dragonfly
I'm wondering what is on the second CD, too. Hope it's not those 12 album songs streched across 2 CDs, 6 songs on each.
Also having the instrumental version of the album really would not be the best option in my opinion, instrumental versions tend to be almost a one-time listen for me and therefore totally disposable. I also hope there will be those Nightfall-era tracks, maybe with some demos and a cover version.
Strange there's no full description of the earbook yet since you basically don't know what you're buying.

Also: total playing time of the album is 75:40. I don't know if it's 11 songs or 12 though.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 12 Nov 2014 22:49
by bard_92
Dragonfly wrote:I'm wondering what is on the second CD, too. Hope it's not those 12 album songs streched across 2 CDs, 6 songs on each.
Also having the instrumental version of the album really would not be the best option in my opinion, instrumental versions tend to be almost a one-time listen for me and therefore totally disposable. I also hope there will be those Nightfall-era tracks, maybe with some demos and a cover version.
Strange there's no full description of the earbook yet since you basically don't know what you're buying.

Also: total playing time of the album is 75:40. I don't know if it's 11 songs or 12 though.
76 minutes...WOW, truly awesome !!! Hope it's for the 11 songs...just want longer songs :D :D :D :D

But where did you saw that ?

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 12 Nov 2014 23:00
by Dragonfly
bard_92 wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:I'm wondering what is on the second CD, too. Hope it's not those 12 album songs streched across 2 CDs, 6 songs on each.
Also having the instrumental version of the album really would not be the best option in my opinion, instrumental versions tend to be almost a one-time listen for me and therefore totally disposable. I also hope there will be those Nightfall-era tracks, maybe with some demos and a cover version.
Strange there's no full description of the earbook yet since you basically don't know what you're buying.

Also: total playing time of the album is 75:40. I don't know if it's 11 songs or 12 though.
76 minutes...WOW, truly awesome !!! Hope it's for the 11 songs...just want longer songs :D :D :D :D

But where did you saw that ?
Actually in a dream I had last night :) I dreamt that I was conducting an interview with the guys and somehow these numbers just showed up and I remembered them.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 12 Nov 2014 23:50
by bard_92
Are you serious...I just got excited for the duration... :/

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 13 Nov 2014 00:11
by Dragonfly
bard_92 wrote:Are you serious...I just got excited for the duration... :/
Don't worry, it must be approximately the same, that is, over 70 minutes with "Distant Memories" which was mentioned both in that magazine article and in the official press release :wink: .

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 13 Nov 2014 05:17
by Ryu
Twilight of the Gods is near. What do you all want from it?

They say it's a 'neckbreaker', with their 'catchiest chorus', and it 'exemplifies' them - sounds a bit like how they were describing A Voice in the Dark. It's wise on their part to be straightforward when reaching out to the scene for the first time in five years. They have new fans, more than ever, especially if you consider things like Robot Unicorn Attack and the exposure they gained through it. Really the first truly mainstream exposure I know of them receiving in the US, for instance.

Many entry-level metal fans, then, (and they are not to be neglected) will know of them for Battlefield, and if they bothered to branch out, Mirror Mirror, Nightfall, Lord of the Rings, and The Bard's Song as well. (These are merely the most likely options, statistically speaking.) In this instance, I can see them approaching some level of bombast with TOTG. Battlefield is arguably heavy, if not fast, with one of their catchiest choruses, and it now serves to 'exemplify' them in a sense.

Twilight of the Gods as a title elicits catastrophe, deicide; an apocalypse. The theme of the album also seems to center on those descriptors - have we ever had such a plainly grim title as 'Doom'? Things seem bleak and intense, desperate even. I expect something dark and haunting in terms of chorus (think This Will Never End) with an intensity likened to maybe a Demons & Wizards track for other parts of the song, not without Andre's trademark flourishes and pomp.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 13 Nov 2014 11:49
by blindgfan
bard_92 wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:I'm wondering what is on the second CD, too. Hope it's not those 12 album songs streched across 2 CDs, 6 songs on each.
Also having the instrumental version of the album really would not be the best option in my opinion, instrumental versions tend to be almost a one-time listen for me and therefore totally disposable. I also hope there will be those Nightfall-era tracks, maybe with some demos and a cover version.
Strange there's no full description of the earbook yet since you basically don't know what you're buying.

Also: total playing time of the album is 75:40. I don't know if it's 11 songs or 12 though.
76 minutes...WOW, truly awesome !!! Hope it's for the 11 songs...just want longer songs :D :D :D :D

But where did you saw that ?
I actually hope it's for the 12 songs. I don't need it to be over 80 minutes, which will require extra CD )

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 13 Nov 2014 12:09
by Andreas
blindgfan wrote: I actually hope it's for the 12 songs. I don't need it to be over 80 minutes, which will require extra CD )
It doesn't really matter, the only versions of the album that contain all 12 tracks, are 2CD versions.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 13 Nov 2014 14:56
by ErHaO
They updated the pictures on the NB store.

The 10"vinyl contains an alternate version of the track "Grand Parade" on side A. I'm probably going to order that one. Wish they'd show the back of the earbook tough, then we'd know what it contains.

And boy, do they have a lot of different vinyl colours of BtRM. Random and ugly colours as well, including piss clear yellow. Why not just a black one and one with a colour that fits the theme and/or picture disc. Who buys those terrible ones?

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 13 Nov 2014 19:50
by sciacallo010
I bought the black one, the splatter red and the picture, not sure on the yellow, it's pretty ugly...

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 13 Nov 2014 21:43
by Traveller in Time
and gold for those with bronze status

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 13 Nov 2014 22:41
by sciacallo010
Traveller in Time wrote:and gold for those with bronze status
This is ludicrous, I think that makes no sense to sell an edition only to limited people (of course I don't blame the Guardians, it's a stupid NB's decision).
I wanted to buy it just to have every different edition, but I changed today when I found out the yellow and green edition (new stuff, it appeared in the last couple of days) and decided that I won't fund the label's greed.
I bought many different editions but I won't fall in their exploitation of fan(atic)s buying every edition, this time.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 14 Nov 2014 00:33
by Orodaran
Dragonfly wrote:I was kinda afraid that Nuclear Blast would turn one of those 11 songs into a bonus track, and here it is... And I'm pretty damn sure "Distant Memories" is just as much of an integral part of the story as any other song on the album. I hate it when that happens, kinda reminds me of Symphony X's "Iconoclast" where all 12 tracks provide the full experience, and the regular CD version features only nine songs.
It's almost the same thing with "Beyond The Red Mirror": the usual CD comes as quite a deficient edition of the album, with only 10 songs and that really generic cover art.
Well, with SX's case there was the excuse "The casual fan would not buy a double CD"...

The thing I hate with bonus tracks, in general, is how they ruin the flow of the album, or provide an unnecessary coda after the intended last song. Especially when it's a random live track or a demo, you have the "last" song on the album and then something else.... put the song in the middle or find a proper place for it in the tracklist, rather than just go "Oh, here's the bonus track, it's at the end". And I did notice one of the bonus songs is in the middle of the tracklist, but will the other one that is at the end be the intended closing track? Grand Parade is supposed to close out the album and it should close all the versions of it...

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 14 Nov 2014 01:17
by Dragonfly
Orodaran wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:I was kinda afraid that Nuclear Blast would turn one of those 11 songs into a bonus track, and here it is... And I'm pretty damn sure "Distant Memories" is just as much of an integral part of the story as any other song on the album. I hate it when that happens, kinda reminds me of Symphony X's "Iconoclast" where all 12 tracks provide the full experience, and the regular CD version features only nine songs.
It's almost the same thing with "Beyond The Red Mirror": the usual CD comes as quite a deficient edition of the album, with only 10 songs and that really generic cover art.
Well, with SX's case there was the excuse "The casual fan would not buy a double CD"...

The thing I hate with bonus tracks, in general, is how they ruin the flow of the album, or provide an unnecessary coda after the intended last song. Especially when it's a random live track or a demo, you have the "last" song on the album and then something else.... put the song in the middle or find a proper place for it in the tracklist, rather than just go "Oh, here's the bonus track, it's at the end". And I did notice one of the bonus songs is in the middle of the tracklist, but will the other one that is at the end be the intended closing track? Grand Parade is supposed to close out the album and it should close all the versions of it...
I understand what you mean and kinda agree with you, but still I'm glad there are these two bonus tracks. The more new & fresh Blind Guardian songs, the better. Especially considering the 4,5-year wait.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 14 Nov 2014 01:22
by Rokubota
Ryu wrote:Twilight of the Gods is near. What do you all want from it?

They say it's a 'neckbreaker', with their 'catchiest chorus', and it 'exemplifies' them - sounds a bit like how they were describing A Voice in the Dark. It's wise on their part to be straightforward when reaching out to the scene for the first time in five years. They have new fans, more than ever, especially if you consider things like Robot Unicorn Attack and the exposure they gained through it. Really the first truly mainstream exposure I know of them receiving in the US, for instance.

Many entry-level metal fans, then, (and they are not to be neglected) will know of them for Battlefield, and if they bothered to branch out, Mirror Mirror, Nightfall, Lord of the Rings, and The Bard's Song as well. (These are merely the most likely options, statistically speaking.) In this instance, I can see them approaching some level of bombast with TOTG. Battlefield is arguably heavy, if not fast, with one of their catchiest choruses, and it now serves to 'exemplify' them in a sense.

Twilight of the Gods as a title elicits catastrophe, deicide; an apocalypse. The theme of the album also seems to center on those descriptors - have we ever had such a plainly grim title as 'Doom'? Things seem bleak and intense, desperate even. I expect something dark and haunting in terms of chorus (think This Will Never End) with an intensity likened to maybe a Demons & Wizards track for other parts of the song, not without Andre's trademark flourishes and pomp.
A dark Album for dark times?

Pirates of the Caribbean doesn't sound very dark to me and one song have that vibe if you believe what the magazine said. Everyone is talking about a very epic album, like a Movie Soundtrack and with Thrash elements(ATEOT part 2 IMO).

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 14 Nov 2014 02:19
by Dragonfly
Ryu wrote:Twilight of the Gods is near. What do you all want from it?

They say it's a 'neckbreaker', with their 'catchiest chorus', and it 'exemplifies' them - sounds a bit like how they were describing A Voice in the Dark. It's wise on their part to be straightforward when reaching out to the scene for the first time in five years. They have new fans, more than ever, especially if you consider things like Robot Unicorn Attack and the exposure they gained through it. Really the first truly mainstream exposure I know of them receiving in the US, for instance.

Many entry-level metal fans, then, (and they are not to be neglected) will know of them for Battlefield, and if they bothered to branch out, Mirror Mirror, Nightfall, Lord of the Rings, and The Bard's Song as well. (These are merely the most likely options, statistically speaking.) In this instance, I can see them approaching some level of bombast with TOTG. Battlefield is arguably heavy, if not fast, with one of their catchiest choruses, and it now serves to 'exemplify' them in a sense.

Twilight of the Gods as a title elicits catastrophe, deicide; an apocalypse. The theme of the album also seems to center on those descriptors - have we ever had such a plainly grim title as 'Doom'? Things seem bleak and intense, desperate even. I expect something dark and haunting in terms of chorus (think This Will Never End) with an intensity likened to maybe a Demons & Wizards track for other parts of the song, not without Andre's trademark flourishes and pomp.
I quite agree with you here! It should be something similar to "A Voice In The Dark" in terms of stylistic peculiarities and song structure. I also imagine the overall atmosphere as evoking the feeling of despair and impending darkness, especially on the part of those gods being dethroned and vanquished. Or is it a metaphor? We'll see. Speaking of comparison with "Voice", I suppose "Twilight Of The Gods" is shorter, between 4 and 5 minutes as it was described as a "compact" song by the article's author. And let's not forget "complex drum patterns", this may be one of Frederik's shining moments as well!
As for Hansi saying that this one has "the most epic and catchy chorus" they've ever written, well... The new song should be trying VERY HARD to earn that title considering that it's the band who wrote "The Script For My Requiem" and "The Soulforged" we're talking about here.
Anyway, I expect a killer Blind Guardian song... and it doesn't really change every time they prepare a new album to unleash upon the unsuspecting world :mrgreen: .

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 14 Nov 2014 06:46
by Ryu
http://www.last.fm/user/Repka2/library/ ... Red+Mirror

This person appears to be listening to the new album. Whether or not it's a fake, well - 0:50 for At the Edge of Time's track length? Seems suspect. Also two tracks with the same length.

Also apparently Twilight of the Gods has an entry in Spotify, but when I try to play it, my browser freezes.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 14 Nov 2014 10:32
by Dragonfly
Ryu wrote:http://www.last.fm/user/Repka2/library/ ... Red+Mirror

This person appears to be listening to the new album. Whether or not it's a fake, well - 0:50 for At the Edge of Time's track length? Seems suspect. Also two tracks with the same length.

Also apparently Twilight of the Gods has an entry in Spotify, but when I try to play it, my browser freezes.
Well, both first and the last tracks are about nine-and-a-half-minute long, so it's quite possible. "At The Edge Of Time" is just a sample or something, I expect it to be a 6-7 minute song. The rest looks quite plausible.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 14 Nov 2014 20:24
by Light of Eärendil
Nuclear Blast USA has the track list of the Earbook deluxe edition... it seems like they've spread the 12 songs between the two CD's, I hope it's because it's too long and it wouldn't fit a single CD...

http://shop.nuclearblast.com/en/product ... port-.html

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 14 Nov 2014 21:09
by Wizard's Crown
Im so desperate for some new BG song that even if they put out a 30-second sample of a song I will listen to it 20 times a day...cant wait another month!!!:D

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 14 Nov 2014 21:32
by Led Guardian
How are only, like, two people talking about the three choirs and two 90-person orchestras on this album??? I read that and momentarily wondered if we were getting a bait-and-switch with the orchestral album. :P

I'm pretty damn excited about this now, and really hoping it lives up to the hype. With their new vocalist and after their first new single, I'm kinda worried that Diablo Swing Orchestra's new album won't hold up to their first three at all. It would suck royally if BG released an underwhelming album around the same time, since they're two of my favorite bands.

Also not excited about the pricing. $12 for 10 songs, and then another $6 for the 11th song, and the 12th song costs another $27? I know the earbook as a bunch of fancy shit, but I just want the music. Why can't the $18 version have both bonus songs? I blame Nuclear Blast and greed.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 14 Nov 2014 21:43
by Freak666
Light of Eärendil wrote:Nuclear Blast USA has the track list of the Earbook deluxe edition... it seems like they've spread the 12 songs between the two CD's, I hope it's because it's too long and it wouldn't fit a single CD...

http://shop.nuclearblast.com/en/product ... port-.html
2 cds with 6 tracks each suck alot. Why they didn't just release "Doom" for example as a track coming with TOTG-Single? Would have been much better.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 15 Nov 2014 00:32
by ErHaO
That really sucks! They could have put Doom on the 2nd dics along with some of Wacken 2011 or something. And maybe the alternate version of Grand Parade of the 10" vinyl (wonder how alternate it is). Would that have been so hard?!! :?

But yeah, I want all songs anyways so I am still going for that one. At least it looks very nice. Hopefully the booklet and overall package is great too.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 15 Nov 2014 00:35
by ErHaO
ErHaO wrote:That really sucks! They could have put Doom on the 2nd dics along with some of Wacken 2011 or something. And maybe the alternate version of Grand Parade of the 10" vinyl (wonder how alternate it is). Would that have been so hard?!! :?

But yeah, I want all songs anyways so I am still going for that one. At least it looks very nice. Hopefully the booklet and overall package is great too.

Edit: Interesting that Miracle Machine has an alternate mix but Grand Parade is called an alternate version.

Edit: quoted instead of edit :roll:
Led Guardian wrote:How are only, like, two people talking about the three choirs and two 90-person orchestras on this album??? I read that and momentarily wondered if we were getting a bait-and-switch with the orchestral album. :P

I'm pretty damn excited about this now, and really hoping it lives up to the hype. With their new vocalist and after their first new single, I'm kinda worried that Diablo Swing Orchestra's new album won't hold up to their first three at all. It would suck royally if BG released an underwhelming album around the same time, since they're two of my favorite bands.

Also not excited about the pricing. $12 for 10 songs, and then another $6 for the 11th song, and the 12th song costs another $27? I know the earbook as a bunch of fancy shit, but I just want the music. Why can't the $18 version have both bonus songs? I blame Nuclear Blast and greed.
The pricing is ridiculous, after seeing the tracklists. I really expected the second disc to have Doom and some other material. ATEOT costed me like 20 euro's for the digipack on release and gave me 10 new studiosongs, a kickass cover, two alternate versions and three demo's, which all sounded pretty different. And on top of that a code that allowed downloads for more alternate stuff (if I remember correctly Valkyries and Wheel of Time?). And each song had unique illustrations in the booklet, which now seems exclusive to the earbook?

In the end it is all about the music and for paying the double price I would've expected a bit more to be honest.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 15 Nov 2014 02:46
by Ryu
Earlier, before we had this much info, I was going to say "at least this isn't like when Smashing Pumpkins released Zeitgeist" (like six different chain stores getting their own special edition with a unique song for each store). Yeah, still not quite on that level of shilling but a cashgrab nonetheless

We're all deliberating the price, but let's be honest, most of us are just going to end up pirating the bonus material, I'm sure. I'm on the tightest budget of my life, and more than half of this life has been dedicated to supporting the bards. The single and album will leak, and I'll download them, but I will also pay for the proper versions. I'm not in a position to spend $100+ for a complete product in the case of one album, however.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 15 Nov 2014 07:49
by Led Guardian
Yeah, I'm probably going for the digipak myself. $45 is way too much for 12 songs. I got an earbook sort of thing for Ayreon's last album, but that was a double album, had 2 extra CDs with instrumental versions of all the music, and a bonus behind the scenes DVD, plus it was signed. That makes it worthwhile. But just 12 songs and a big lyrics book? Too much.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 15 Nov 2014 14:06
by Dragonfly
Of course any label strives to become a money-sucking machine without others noticing it, and it's not a revelation, but still I'm disappointed.
So the earbook edition will have 2 CDs with running time of about 40 minutes each? And no other bonus material? "Doom" could really be used for the single instead of two pretty useless live songs which everyone has heard dozens of times. If only it was some new, exclusive live track like "The Curse Of Feanor" or "War Of The Thrones" or whatever... Yeah, this sucks.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 15 Nov 2014 23:02
by Freak666
Dragonfly wrote:Of course any label strives to become a money-sucking machine without others noticing it, and it's not a revelation, but still I'm disappointed.
Just face it: The earbook is like a blackmail. For a true BG fan it's just like "buy or die".
Normally I just would boycott things like this, but how could I this time?

In the late 90's and in the beginning of 2000 NB was a great label. They signed quite all of my fav bands and I was really happy for BG back then. I really felt they would care about Metal and keeping it alive especially regarding the whole HammerFall thing around 15years ago. I even got a Nuclear Blast patch on my vest in these days!!!

Today of course I see things more rational as I'm not teenager anymore driven by emotions. But this rip-off is sooo obvious that it makes me angry. Does NB really think we are that stupid? Fuck them!

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 16 Nov 2014 00:20
by Dragonfly
Freak666 wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:Of course any label strives to become a money-sucking machine without others noticing it, and it's not a revelation, but still I'm disappointed.
Just face it: The earbook is like a blackmail. For a true BG fan it's just like "buy or die".
Normally I just would boycott things like this, but how could I this time?

In the late 90's and in the beginning of 2000 NB was a great label. They signed quite all of my fav bands and I was really happy for BG back then. I really felt they would care about Metal and keeping it alive especially regarding the whole HammerFall thing around 15years ago. I even got a Nuclear Blast patch on my vest in these days!!!

Today of course I see things more rational as I'm not teenager anymore driven by emotions. But this rip-off is sooo obvious that it makes me angry. Does NB really think we are that stupid? Fuck them!
Man you're so right... Let me tell you something. When "At The Edge Of Time" came out it became the first Blind Guardian album I got. I had then just started listening to BG. I was a first-year student in 2010 and got my first job in the summer. I was selling telephone cards and it was fucking stupid, I stood out in the street several hours every day, the sun was beating down, I was tired and thirsty and only managed to sell like 3-5 cards a week which resulted in a laughable salary by the end of July. It completely sucked. But I needed money to buy that new record, and it was the stimulus driving me ahead.
So when I was done I got my ridiculous pay and headed for a local online shop to order "At The Edge Of Time". And the digipack edition cost only 300 roubles which amounted to less than 10 dollars at that time I guess. Of course I had to pay for the delivery and then wait for it and I didn't get the album until August 31st, the last vacation day. But still I grabbed the 2CD edition with everything I needed - both the album tracks and the bonuses - for just 10 dollars. The package was awesome, too. And up to this day that album remains one of my all time favourites.
Now, four-and-a-half years later, I'm no longer a student yet still haven't found a permanent job. But I'm going to buy that earbook version anyway, first and foremost because I don't want to miss any new Blind Guardian songs. But this time it will cost me a lot more than in good old times...

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 16 Nov 2014 17:23
by Andreas
Led Guardian wrote:How are only, like, two people talking about the three choirs and two 90-person orchestras on this album???
Because it's not really a selling point. I mean, I'm sure one orchestra and one choir would have resulted in the same final product. So it's more like showing off your inconsistency :P

And what the hell @ the tracklist of the earbook? I don't really feel like paying double the money for just one extra track (unless it's 15 minutes at least). Buying the digipack and pirating Doom has become an option now.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 16 Nov 2014 18:36
by Guardian'86
Hello everybody ! I'm new here. For me it's a big pleasure and an Honor to be part of this community. I'm from Italy.
I'm an huge fan of Blind Guardian since 2002.
I'm really really excited for the news about their new album "Beyond The Red Mirror", I was waiting for this news since a lot of months, and now after nearly 5 years we'll have e new opus !!! Can't wait !!! Blind Guardian forever!!

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 16 Nov 2014 21:36
by Dragonfly
Guardian'86 wrote:Hello everybody ! I'm new here. For me it's a big pleasure and an Honor to be part of this community. I'm from Italy.
I'm an huge fan of Blind Guardian since 2002.
I'm really really excited for the news about their new album "Beyond The Red Mirror", I was waiting for this news since a lot of months, and now after nearly 5 years we'll have e new opus !!! Can't wait !!! Blind Guardian forever!!
Welcome! :) It's always a great thing to meet someone who loves Blind Guardian, especially now when there's so much shitty music out there...
As for the new album, I'm also sure excited as hell! :)

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 16 Nov 2014 21:54
by Feanor l'invincible
Blind Guardian on Facebook said that samples will be available soon.. very soon.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 16 Nov 2014 22:11
by Guardian'86
Dragonfly wrote:
Guardian'86 wrote:Hello everybody ! I'm new here. For me it's a big pleasure and an Honor to be part of this community. I'm from Italy.
I'm an huge fan of Blind Guardian since 2002.
I'm really really excited for the news about their new album "Beyond The Red Mirror", I was waiting for this news since a lot of months, and now after nearly 5 years we'll have e new opus !!! Can't wait !!! Blind Guardian forever!!
Welcome! :) It's always a great thing to meet someone who loves Blind Guardian, especially now when there's so much shitty music out there...
As for the new album, I'm also sure excited as hell! :)
Thanks for the welcome! They are absolutely my favourite band !!! Every their album especially from "tales from the twilight world" onwards is amazing but clearly there are the favourites.
The upcoming new album excites me because it seems it is a sort of sequel to "imaginations from the other side"....!!!!!!

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 16 Nov 2014 22:33
by sciacallo010
Feanor l'invincible wrote:Blind Guardian on Facebook said that samples will be available soon.. very soon.
I've just seen it, I'm so torn.
On one hand I can't wait to listen to them, on the other I really wanna keep the surprise for the moment I'll have the album in my hands.

@Guardian'86 per caso sei di TrueMetal? :D

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 16 Nov 2014 23:11
by Guardian'86
I don't know if I will listen to the samples honestly...... 8 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I prefer to wait till' the release...but in the meantime I can't wait for the new single between 19 days !!!

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 16 Nov 2014 23:12
by Ryu
They're teasing a sample on their social networks now.

Though it's quite late in Germany, perhaps tomorrow.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 16 Nov 2014 23:32
by wade-newb
Ryu wrote:They're teasing a sample on their social networks now.

Though it's quite late in Germany, perhaps tomorrow.
Such cruelty for us in roughly the same timezone as them.