Page 5 of 34

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 08 Oct 2014 23:49
by Ryu
The worst ATITM track (Carry the Blessed Home) is at least worse than the worst ATEOT track (Control the Divine). The Curse of Tracks That Start With C.

War of the Thrones wins out over Skalds, in my opinion. A more diverse track with relatable subject matter. The verse-chorus-verse nature of Skalds just seems like an attempt at having their ballad slot filled. That covers the token bard ballad..

In terms of speed and heaviness, TWNE and The Edge vs. A Voice in the Dark, Ride into Obsession, and Tanelorn.. This Will Never End wins above all of 'em, but ATEOT has a more solid set of heavy, fast, roots-Guardian.

The progressive tracks are a tossup. Lionheart is actually a favorite of mine in its oddities, it wins out easily over Valkyries and Control the Divine, yet Another Stranger Me never resonated with me, and Fly at times comes off as a weird novelty track lately to me.

There is no real "epic" piece on ATITM, which is a bullet to its proverbial kneecap.

Otherland is a good song in and of itself, there isn't a BG song quite like it. Turn the Page is good, if not a little over-the-top happy-sounding for BG, but ATITM seems to be that way in general.. apologies for the non-sequitur critique here.

Also, All the King's Horses is one I rediscovered and found had a lot of potential. It does not feel like a totally cohesive track - it seems to ramp up and then suddenly lose all its thunder. Maybe if it were more put-together. Factoring in that track as a finished product might put ATITM on the level of ATEOT for me. It's definitely more deserving than a rehashed, shift-in-tone track (Dead Sound of Misery) in terms of being on a final track list.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 09 Oct 2014 06:17
by bard_92
Yes, ATITM is epic album too, just need the ATEOT production to be heard it's all potential... :!:
Hope soon there would be a remixed version...
I would enjoy it as much as a new album :P

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 09 Oct 2014 22:02
by Feanor l'invincible
I hope they release a song.. or snippets and finally announce albums's release date with artwork and playlist!

SEEN ON BG'S OFFICIAL FACEBOOK 43 minuts ago! :

Blind Guardian
43 mins · Edited ·
Tomorrow at 10 in the morning German time, be here! Or at www.blind-guardian.com or twitter.com/blind_guardian. Your choice.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 09 Oct 2014 22:28
by sciacallo010
Our prayers have been listened.
The day has almost come.
Tomorrow the world will change forever.

New album announcement for 2018 :trollface: :lol:

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 09 Oct 2014 22:36
by sciacallo010
bestpike wrote:
Angus wrote:I'd actually say that ATEOT is significantly better than ATITM.
You know, I mostly thought I agreed with you, however I thought about it again while writing the previous post, and I realised maybe on average it's only slightly better (or maybe even worse). As a consistent album, definitely Ateot is the stronger contender. It reminds me of the comparison between Number of the Beast and Powerslave. The former has 3 hallmark songs and the others are fillers, the other is a very strong album as a whole. It's hard to compare them. Similarly, Atitm has This will never end, Turn the Page, Fly, Another stranger me and the rest are kind of filler (of course this is only my opinion). Ateot stays at a very respectable level from start to finish, but in my opinion none of the songs reach the level of the top Atitm ones, although they come quite close. I am not really sure which one is better.
I have to disagree again with the most of your post (of course it's just my opinion against yours, to each their own ;))
First of all to me it's quite strange to hear that The Number of the Beast has just 3 good tracks and all the rest are fillers, to me it's a great album almost from start to finish.
Then I agree with the fact that ATEOT is better then ATITM but to me songs like Sacred Worlds or Wheel of Time are some of the highes peaks of at least the three last albums; and even if I agree that ATITM is their worst album (even if with Blind Guardian I always prefer to say "less good") I wouldn't say that apart from 3 songs they are all fillers.
As I said this is just my opinion...;)

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 09 Oct 2014 23:09
by bestpike
sciacallo010 wrote:
bestpike wrote:
Angus wrote:I'd actually say that ATEOT is significantly better than ATITM.
You know, I mostly thought I agreed with you, however I thought about it again while writing the previous post, and I realised maybe on average it's only slightly better (or maybe even worse). As a consistent album, definitely Ateot is the stronger contender. It reminds me of the comparison between Number of the Beast and Powerslave. The former has 3 hallmark songs and the others are fillers, the other is a very strong album as a whole. It's hard to compare them. Similarly, Atitm has This will never end, Turn the Page, Fly, Another stranger me and the rest are kind of filler (of course this is only my opinion). Ateot stays at a very respectable level from start to finish, but in my opinion none of the songs reach the level of the top Atitm ones, although they come quite close. I am not really sure which one is better.
I have to disagree again with the most of your post (of course it's just my opinion against yours, to each their own ;))
First of all to me it's quite strange to hear that The Number of the Beast has just 3 good tracks and all the rest are fillers, to me it's a great album almost from start to finish.
Then I agree with the fact that ATEOT is better then ATITM but to me songs like Sacred Worlds or Wheel of Time are some of the highes peaks of at least the three last albums; and even if I agree that ATITM is their worst album (even if with Blind Guardian I always prefer to say "less good") I wouldn't say that apart from 3 songs they are all fillers.
As I said this is just my opinion...;)
Of course there is no right or wrong here, it's all opinion in the end. Well, by filler I meant that compared to these three songs in Number of the beast (you know which), the rest of the album is completely outshined, making it look like filler, and I see a similar effect in Atitm as well. Ateot does not have this imbalance. I usually listen to it whole, while on Atitm I pick and choose the ones I like. However, I somehow connected more with the top 4 (for me) songs of Atitm rather than any of the Ateot songs. Could be age, who knows.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 09 Oct 2014 23:14
by bestpike
sciacallo010 wrote:Our prayers have been listened.
The day has almost come.
Tomorrow the world will change forever.

New album announcement for 2018 :trollface: :lol:
thx for the update btw!

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 00:02
by Orodaran
Got an impulse to hear At the Edge of Time the other day... I think it's the best since Nightfall in Middle-Earth, It's easily better than A Twist in the Myth and the only way ANATO can rival against it is because of a certain short song about the trojan war. The days when the album was in my daily or weekly rotation are far gone, but I still enjoy the hell out of it and I think it's like Powerslave (Iron Maiden) and Horror Show (Iced Earth), very awesome and the lesser tracks are in the middle :P

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 00:21
by Ryu
Seeing as I'm cursed with insomnia I'll be awake around the time the "news" surfaces and will be LIVE TWEETING (not really).

But yeah, expect a prompt thread update.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 00:29
by Traveller in Time
Feanor l'invincible wrote:I hope they release a song.. or snippets and finally announce albums's release date with artwork and playlist!

SEEN ON BG'S OFFICIAL FACEBOOK 43 minuts ago! :

Blind Guardian
43 mins · Edited ·
Tomorrow at 10 in the morning German time, be here! Or at http://www.blind-guardian.com or twitter.com/blind_guardian. Your choice.

Blind Guardian: "Sorry for the long wait an no news, ah btw our new album is now in the stores !"

That would be epic :lol:
just dreaming already.......

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 00:36
by Ryu
Traveller in Time wrote:
Feanor l'invincible wrote:I hope they release a song.. or snippets and finally announce albums's release date with artwork and playlist!

SEEN ON BG'S OFFICIAL FACEBOOK 43 minuts ago! :

Blind Guardian
43 mins · Edited ·
Tomorrow at 10 in the morning German time, be here! Or at http://www.blind-guardian.com or twitter.com/blind_guardian. Your choice.

Blind Guardian: "Sorry for the long wait an no news, ah btw our new album is now in the stores !"

That would be epic :lol:
just dreaming already.......
It would be rather modern of them, no? At least a digital single release..

It obviously comes down to the label's decisions and I don't think NB does shit like that however

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 00:45
by Traveller in Time
You want to know it?


:!: Caution SPOILER :!:

Click me, but i warned you

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 00:47
by Ryu
Traveller in Time wrote:You want to know it?


:!: Caution SPOILER :!:

Click me, but i warned you
Ahhh, a single on December 5th, then.

Still holding out for a sample

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 01:00
by Feanor l'invincible
That would mean the single will be called "Twilight of Gods"

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 02:25
by Traveller in Time
And tons of coloured vinyls... :wink:

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 03:39
by Feanor l'invincible
I also think that this song (Twilight of The Gods) must be the "mid-tempo song" in the list of song titles in the first page.. Hansi described it as "commercial" and "catchy"...

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 03:56
by Ryu
Feanor l'invincible wrote:I also think that this song (Twilight of The Gods) must be the "mid-tempo song" in the list of song titles in the first page.. Hansi described it as "commercial" and "catchy"...
Or it could be one of the others, just renamed. around half of ateot's songs were renamed between announcement and release.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_of_the_Gods

Anyway, a song about... Ragnarök, in Norse mythology, a series of major events foretold to result in the death of a number of gods .. I would certainly hope is not commercial, at least. ;)

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 06:11
by bard_92
FInaaaaalyyyyyy :)))))))))))))))))))

Thanks God, you've heard our prayeeers !!!!

I have only one question, what's the difference between white, black, gold and blue vinyl ???
And why there're so many ? Might be an explosion song :)

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 07:35
by bestpike
Twilight of the gods? Wow, Blind Guardian including some Amon Amarth influences? :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwaZDRyHsys

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 10:16
by bestpike
That's interesting. At least we get a single in 2014 :D. It seems really weird though, no news at all about the album itself.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 10:19
by Ryu
http://www.blind-guardian.com/2014/10/1 ... er-5-2014/

No sample, and really no idea what (if any) song this replaced, so I'm leaving the OP for now.
bestpike wrote:That's interesting. At least we get a single in 2014 :D. It seems really weird though, no news at all about the album itself.
We do know it's out in January, evidently.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 10:21
by bard_92
Song 9 maybe ?

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 10:41
by Andreas
Not a very original song title indeed. Stormwarrior comes to mind, and I could be mistaken, but... Grave Digger? Anyway, there'll be tons more I'm sure.

Nagging aside, I'm very much looking forward to this. I will get it as soon as it comes out, I'm really glad they still release their singles in CD format. And my initial rant about the other tracks only being live songs was silenced by the fact that it's from a concert that I attended.

And eh, new album out in January? Yay!

So, happy dutchie is happy :mrgreen:

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 10:49
by bard_92
Yes, it will be January ;)

"The wait is over! Blind Guardian is back! The world’s most popular fantasy metal band gives us Twilight of the Gods; the first single from their long-awaited new album, to be unleashed upon the world in January 2015"

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 11:23
by Traveller in Time
i do like the artwork.

And Hansi's statement sounds promising, although i dislike words like: "we have ever written"
But this time i'll take Hansi up on that, hoping it's no Münchhausen quote again ;)
bard_92 wrote:what's the difference between white, black, gold and blue vinyl
well differences are: one is white, one is black.....
and they have in common that:
- it's vinyl
- the same songs in same versions are on it
- NB wants you to buy them all (what i'll do for collecting issues)

:wink:

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 12:23
by Orodaran
Wow, a covert art that plays on the contrasts between warm colors and cool colors, never done before! :D :roll: :P

Well, cover is generic and the title has been used by a dozen bands already, but once we'll hear the song in all of its awesomeness it will no longer matter!!!!! 8) 8) 8)

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 12:44
by Traveller in Time
Orodaran wrote:Wow, a covert art that plays on the contrasts between warm colors and cool colors, never done before! :D :roll: :P
:D
at least not blue/orange this time ;)

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 14:15
by wade-newb
Andreas wrote:Not a very original song title indeed. Stormwarrior comes to mind, and I could be mistaken, but... Grave Digger? Anyway, there'll be tons more I'm sure.

Nagging aside, I'm very much looking forward to this. I will get it as soon as it comes out, I'm really glad they still release their singles in CD format. And my initial rant about the other tracks only being live songs was silenced by the fact that it's from a concert that I attended.

And eh, new album out in January? Yay!

So, happy dutchie is happy :mrgreen:
They did say that this is just the "first single" though, implying there will be another, maybe? And maybe that one will have more than just live recordings (which I actually like very much :P)

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 14:48
by Traveller in Time
wade-newb wrote:
Andreas wrote:Not a very original song title indeed. Stormwarrior comes to mind, and I could be mistaken, but... Grave Digger? Anyway, there'll be tons more I'm sure.

Nagging aside, I'm very much looking forward to this. I will get it as soon as it comes out, I'm really glad they still release their singles in CD format. And my initial rant about the other tracks only being live songs was silenced by the fact that it's from a concert that I attended.

And eh, new album out in January? Yay!

So, happy dutchie is happy :mrgreen:
They did say that this is just the "first single" though, implying there will be another, maybe? And maybe that one will have more than just live recordings (which I actually like very much :P)
I would not trust so much in words, especially if it is from BG concerning releasing music.... :wink:
If there is a chance for a second one i hope for an appetizer for the orchestra album, but well with my hopes it is the same like the point about BG releases mentioned above: not that reliable ;)

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 14:56
by Isis65
trivial cover, title worse.

I hope that at least the song is decent.

:|

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 15:15
by sciacallo010
I really hope they won't release another single, I already spent too much on the 5 versions of this I just bought :D
And I'm upset with the Nuclear Blast who made a 5° different vinyl (a golden one) and sell it only to "bronze status" accounts on their online shop (meaning you spent more than like 500-600€ there...crazy).
If next single will be an appetizer for the orchestral album which will hopefully be released soon after, it will be different (and I'll buy it instantly in every possible different version :D).

Regarding the artwork I quite like it, but they should really get rid of Machado; his works are all too similar each other and it would be a pity to spoil beautiful albums, as I'm sure next releases will be, with bad artworks (luckly what he did so far for Blind Guardian isn't that bad and I quite like them all, but they're far from being even close to Marschall's masterpieces).

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 15:45
by Dragonfly
Great news - a new song in December and the album in January. Three months to go...
I wonder how "Twilight Of The Gods" used to be called during the production. I think it's either "Midtempo Song" due to its catchiness, "Outcast" (for Hansi really seems to be enjoying the new song) or "Song 9" because it seems to feature many different moods. Anyway I suppose "Twilight Of The Gods" is definitely one of the faster songs (or can it be an epic?) Who knows...
I really hope for a near album title and tracklist announcement though - as of now we only know approximate release date.
And another thought... it seems that the cover trend has been broken unless there will be another single with a cover song. Which is a shame :|

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 16:01
by Traveller in Time
sciacallo010 wrote:I really hope they won't release another single, I already spent too much on the 5 versions of this I just bought :D
And I'm upset with the Nuclear Blast who made a 5° different vinyl (a golden one) and sell it only to "bronze status" accounts on their online shop (meaning you spent more than like 500-600€ there...crazy).
If next single will be an appetizer for the orchestral album which will hopefully be released soon after, it will be different (and I'll buy it instantly in every possible different version :D).

Regarding the artwork I quite like it, but they should really get rid of Machado; his works are all too similar each other and it would be a pity to spoil beautiful albums, as I'm sure next releases will be, with bad artworks (luckly what he did so far for Blind Guardian isn't that bad and I quite like them all, but they're far from being even close to Marschall's masterpieces).
+1
i like his work for Rage or Lingua Mortis Orchestra, but you are right there is an overflow of his artwork nowadays, especially the hooded "monk" can be seen on many covers (Sinbreed, Iron Savior, Power Quest, Ancient Bard)

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 21:14
by Angus
Why is Dragonfly so far the only person that has mentioned that THE ENTIRE FUCKING ALBUM IS COMING OUT IN JANUARY!? Are you for real Blind Guardian? Only a three month wait after the announcement?

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 21:41
by Andreas
Angus wrote:Why is Dragonfly so far the only person that has mentioned that THE ENTIRE FUCKING ALBUM IS COMING OUT IN JANUARY!? Are you for real Blind Guardian? Only a three month wait after the announcement?
You might have cared to read my post:
Andreas wrote: *snip*

And eh, new album out in January? Yay!

*snip*
Sad dutchie is sad now :(

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 21:47
by Led Guardian
Angus wrote:Why is Dragonfly so far the only person that has mentioned that THE ENTIRE FUCKING ALBUM IS COMING OUT IN JANUARY!? Are you for real Blind Guardian? Only a three month wait after the announcement?
More lies by Munchausen! :P

So much excitement! The next half year is going to be overload for me. Final Hobbit movie in December (not nearly as good as LotR, but I'm still excited), Civilization: Beyond Earth out this month, Dragon Age: Inquisition in November, Witcher 3: Wild Hunt in February, BG single in December, new album in January, and Diablo Swing Orchestra and The Gentle Storm (Arjen/Anneke) are recording now, probably for first-half albums next year. It's too much! :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 11 Oct 2014 00:44
by bard_92
And here you can see the single picture with a different written "Twilight of the Gods",
which here I like better

http://www.radiotangra.com/news/read/24233.html

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 11 Oct 2014 01:27
by bestpike
bard_92 wrote:And here you can see the single picture with a different written "Twilight of the Gods",
which here I like better

http://www.radiotangra.com/news/read/24233.html
Indeed, the other fond is kinda weird. Also, I think this is the first single that just includes the 1 new song, without some kind of cover, which means that they are probably late on the deadlines and cutting corners left and right :P

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 11 Oct 2014 05:19
by Angus
Andreas wrote:
Angus wrote:Why is Dragonfly so far the only person that has mentioned that THE ENTIRE FUCKING ALBUM IS COMING OUT IN JANUARY!? Are you for real Blind Guardian? Only a three month wait after the announcement?
You might have cared to read my post:
Andreas wrote: *snip*

And eh, new album out in January? Yay!

*snip*
Sad dutchie is sad now :(
Image

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 11 Oct 2014 08:34
by wade-newb
The title of the song is obviously overused, but it's because it's an awesome name. The last time they dealt with the theme of gods and their power so specifically was Valhalla, and they've never had a title so explicitly about gods. Many bands have done the title, but that makes it kind of like a classic, recurring theme in metal, and I'm excited to see what Blind Guardian will contribute to it. What's awesome is how excited Hansi seems about this song. I remember an interview about ATITM, where he seemed quite "meh" about the songs and their lyrical themes. There is a strong sense of classic BG in everything about this song so far! We just have to hear how it sounds :D

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 11 Oct 2014 09:10
by Andreas
Angus wrote:
Image
Still not good enough :cry:

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 11 Oct 2014 10:09
by Andreas
Oh, and I forgot to mention that this new release will make me listen all BG albums in chronological order, while dancing. Without clothes.

Just as I did more than four years ago. Man, those were the days...

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 11 Oct 2014 11:39
by Perse
My guess is that Twilight of the Gods refers to Wagners opera "Götterdämmerung", it's quite popular in Germany and Hansi used the theme before for Blood on my Hands. So maybe he visited it again for the new album?
That could mean that Twilight... is going to be one of the epic pieces, hence the reference to Wagner? Thank god it's not far to the release date!

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 11 Oct 2014 12:00
by wade-newb
Perse wrote:My guess is that Twilight of the Gods refers to Wagners opera "Götterdämmerung", it's quite popular in Germany and Hansi used the theme before for Blood on my Hands. So maybe he visited it again for the new album?
That could mean that Twilight... is going to be one of the epic pieces, hence the reference to Wagner? Thank god it's not far to the release date!
This is very very interesting! Thank you for the insight.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 11 Oct 2014 17:38
by bard_92
Oh, my God, that would mean that it would be probably a song longer than 7 minutes, I guess...
And inspired by Wagner...sounds Epic, exactly what expect from Mr. Kursch :)

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 11 Oct 2014 18:58
by Gandalf de Grijze
Could this be like the ATTWS single? picking the longest song, hopefully a 10 min + song, for the first single...

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 11 Oct 2014 19:33
by Andreas
I don't think so. One of the terms they used for the song is "neck breaker", which leads me to believe that it's a speedy song of like 5 or 6 minutes. Kinda like A Voice in the Dark.

On the other hand, a longer song would kinda explain/make up for the other tracks just being live tracks.

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 11 Oct 2014 19:44
by bard_92
Andreas wrote:I don't think so. One of the terms they used for the song is "neck breaker", which leads me to believe that it's a speedy song of like 5 or 6 minutes. Kinda like A Voice in the Dark.

On the other hand, a longer song would kinda explain/make up for the other tracks just being live tracks.


Exactly my thoughts :)


Btw,the name of the single makes me think that it's not a concept album, which I hoped so...???
can't wait for the song names and their time duration...

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 11 Oct 2014 20:23
by Dragonfly
bard_92 wrote:
Andreas wrote:I don't think so. One of the terms they used for the song is "neck breaker", which leads me to believe that it's a speedy song of like 5 or 6 minutes. Kinda like A Voice in the Dark.

On the other hand, a longer song would kinda explain/make up for the other tracks just being live tracks.


Exactly my thoughts :)


Btw,the name of the single makes me think that it's not a concept album, which I hoped so...???
can't wait for the song names and their time duration...
That was just what I wanted to add - exactly! :) I personally don't think it's a long song, not "Grand Parade" that Hansi was talking about.
And I'm also hungry for the song titles and duration... and the final album title. What will they make up this time around?

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

Posted: 11 Oct 2014 22:18
by Rokubota
I'm glad they're still alive.

Schaffer hasn't written a killer and fresh riff in decades, he is done as a songwriter IMO and there's nothing really inspired in his music anymore. ATITM had some good songs but terrible production, ATEOT had Wheel Of Time and a better production but that's it.

I want a killer album but it's very unlikely this late in their career. Those iconic songs are very hard to do. Fiddler was the last time Hansi was truly inspired IMO.

.