Blind Guardian's 10th Album, "Beyond the Red Mirror"

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
sciacallo010

Re: Blind Guardian's 10th Album, "Beyond the Red Mirror"

#1601 Post by sciacallo010 » 20 Feb 2015 19:43

I bought the earbook with the vinyl too, but have no vinyl player here and can't find one until April :(
I hope that some nice guy will rip it and share it with us :mrgreen:

agarbanzo

#1602 Post by agarbanzo » 20 Feb 2015 19:48

Is "The Throne" related to Melisandre's character in A Song of Ice and Fire book saga? I believe that the song mentions many things related to the events of Stannis Baratheon, Melisandre (and probably of Jon Snow) in the Wall and existing threat to the other side of the wall.

Thanks

P.S: Sorry for my English. My native language is Spanish :D.

OmegaSlayer

#1603 Post by OmegaSlayer » 20 Feb 2015 21:10

No man, nothing is related to any realeased fiction in this album, just nods to mythological, historic and religious characters and places

fonzbear2000

#1604 Post by fonzbear2000 » 21 Feb 2015 01:36

Such an amazing album that I've listened to many times now! My personal favorite is The Throne.

It's been said that this album sold more copies in the first week here in the USA than any other BG album, but I haven't seen the actual amount. Does anyone know exactly how many copies did sell in the first week?
Come on over to the BEST, FREE Iron Maiden forum!: http://forum.maidenfans.com/

Led Guardian

#1605 Post by Led Guardian » 21 Feb 2015 06:48

fonzbear2000 wrote:Such an amazing album that I've listened to many times now! My personal favorite is The Throne.

It's been said that this album sold more copies in the first week here in the USA than any other BG album, but I haven't seen the actual amount. Does anyone know exactly how many copies did sell in the first week?
Crazy talk! Everyone knows that they've lost their magic and are out of touch with their fans, and this album has performed underwhelmingly compared to previous albums! :P :P :P

In seriousness, I don't know the exact numbers. It's cool that it happened though. The US has always been a tough market for them.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

OmegaSlayer

#1606 Post by OmegaSlayer » 21 Feb 2015 08:50

Led Guardian wrote: Crazy talk! Everyone knows that they've lost their magic and are out of touch with their fans, and this album has performed underwhelmingly compared to previous albums! :P :P :P

In seriousness, I don't know the exact numbers. It's cool that it happened though. The US has always been a tough market for them.
I see what you did thar little scoundrel :lol: :lol: :lol:
:mrgreen:

priderock

#1607 Post by priderock » 22 Feb 2015 11:48

The alternate versions had leaked ;) But I there's some wrong sound on the versions I found :?
The mix of Miracle Machine is worst to me and Grande Parade is more like a demo version. Absolutely pointless step to me :? At The Edge Of Time orchestral version would be wayyyy better!

ent

#1608 Post by ent » 22 Feb 2015 13:56

where can i get and listen to alternate versions of songs?
CROATIAN BARD

Blind Guardian Croatian Bards
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blind-Gua ... 0227785608

Led Guardian

#1609 Post by Led Guardian » 23 Feb 2015 03:34

OmegaSlayer wrote:
Led Guardian wrote: Crazy talk! Everyone knows that they've lost their magic and are out of touch with their fans, and this album has performed underwhelmingly compared to previous albums! :P :P :P

I see what you did thar little scoundrel :lol: :lol: :lol:
:mrgreen:
:wink:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

agarbanzo

#1610 Post by agarbanzo » 25 Feb 2015 19:18

OmegaSlayer wrote:No man, nothing is related to any realeased fiction in this album, just nods to mythological, historic and religious characters and places
Thanks man!!

Dragonfly

#1611 Post by Dragonfly » 26 Feb 2015 22:07

Anyone else thinks that 'Prophecies' could've been used as a single song just as well as 'Twilight Of The Gods'? I suppose it's got everything a single BG song needs to have.
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

JazzJackrabbit

#1612 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 26 Feb 2015 23:50

It's definitely one of the catchiest songs on the album. Good single material for sure.

OmegaSlayer

#1613 Post by OmegaSlayer » 27 Feb 2015 08:44

I think we will see another single before the year ends. ;)
I'm still waiting a video :mrgreen:
Prophecy, The Holy Grail or The Throne would be the best ones imho

Dragonfly

#1614 Post by Dragonfly » 27 Feb 2015 12:10

Then I wonder if they have any exclusive content left... Otherwise they can just put 'Doom' and the alternate versions along with one of the album tracks and that will be OK, especially for those who don't have an earbook.

Warmoth

#1615 Post by Warmoth » 27 Feb 2015 17:47

For other content they could do all kinds of things.

A cover they may have secretly recorded? I really like all the covers they've done
An orchestral mix of At the edge of time, or Grand parade, or Throne
The alternate Version of Grand parade or Miracle Machine they used on the Earbook Deluxe 10"
A live track from "At the edge of time (album)"
Doom / Distant memories
Demo track from one of the new songs

If they do, they don't need 20 versions of the single. Please, just one Jewel case version

Dragonfly

#1616 Post by Dragonfly » 27 Feb 2015 18:24

The instrumental version of 'At The Edge Of Time' would be especially magnificent!
As for the cover song, it doesn't seem that they have one this time...

OmegaSlayer

#1617 Post by OmegaSlayer » 27 Feb 2015 22:21

New single will have the song, a cover, 3 live versions of The Bard's Song :mrgreen:

Dragonfly

#1618 Post by Dragonfly » 27 Feb 2015 22:45

OmegaSlayer wrote:New single will have the song, a cover, 3 live versions of The Bard's Song :mrgreen:
And that's exactly the worst thing about singles.

Led Guardian

#1619 Post by Led Guardian » 27 Feb 2015 23:32

OmegaSlayer wrote:New single will have the song, a cover, 3 live versions of The Bard's Song :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Traveller in Time

#1620 Post by Traveller in Time » 28 Feb 2015 00:43

I'm curious when they are going to release the leftovers from NIME, if i remember correctly Hansi said that they are recorded.
Maybe 2018 when the 20th anniversary of NIME will be?
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

OmegaSlayer

#1621 Post by OmegaSlayer » 28 Feb 2015 11:07

So they have 3-4 songs left over from NIME, like 8 from the Orchestral project, new album should be out soon. :)
I'll be the usual annoying nancy, but I don't think the guys should need so much time to organize them and refine them into songs for an album, as the only thing that lately changed in BG is Marcus' guitar parts.

Gandalf de Grijze

#1622 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 28 Feb 2015 11:25

I disagree, there will be at least one new studioversion of The Bard's Song, maybe a fully orchestral one...
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Orodaran

#1623 Post by Orodaran » 28 Feb 2015 15:44

Well, after further listenings, my opinion of the album has improved, and I'm slowly getting more and more into the songs... The Holy Grail is now finally in the "OMFG Awesome" department :P I've realized however that my main "problem" with the album lies with the two epics that bookend it, it's not that I don't like them, but I don't feel attracted to them like with the previous epics, and I'm also a bit unconvinced by how they've structured.

First of all, I'm all for trying new things and not re-writing previous songs, so changes are always welcome. But the way the songs go... for example, The Ninth Wave starts with an awesome intro, then the music starts in (I'm not bothered in the least by the "modern" sounds), then Hansi screams "when dark night embraces my miiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnd" and....... the moment you'd expect the song to "explode" it stays down again, then comes the nearly-grunted bridge ("Burnt and sealed they may end") and then, out of nowhere, a more uplifting chorus that - of course it's just a matter of taste - I don't feel lives up to choruses of previous epics.

Also Grand Parade, the chorus is a bit better (but I still like way more those of ATTWS, Sacred Worlds and Wheel of Time), but the song is a bit "flat" to me, in terms of mood changes. ATTWS is a musical movie through the story of Troy, Sacred World is really a long-ish song with three choruses but you can still get the feel of it, and Wheel of Time is very soundtrackish with two distint choruses and a you-can't-not-notice-it's-not-there eastern interlude. The way right now I'd describe Grand Prade is "Nine minutes and a half of choirs, counterchoirs and vocals layered one over the other" with no memorable sections.

I KNOW the song does not stay the same throughout it, I know there's a solo section, a time when it slows down etc etc but it doesn't give me the feeling that the other epics give, when I say "flat" I don't mean that nothing happens, but that whatever happens is too much similar to what comes before and what comes other to be recognizable even after 2-3 weeks of listening to it.

Then of course, since each listening brings new stuff that I like (by now, for example, I'm all pumped up singing "I won't lie while bright eyes are turning pale your sand runs low"), I may come here in a week or so and tell that I'm a moron 'cause Grand Parade is the best thing they've ever done, but until then... I will remain a bit underwhelmed by the two main songs of the album I guess!
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Traveller in Time

#1624 Post by Traveller in Time » 28 Feb 2015 15:52

Orodaran wrote:Well, after further listenings, my opinion of the album has improved, and I'm slowly getting more and more into the songs... The Holy Grail is now finally in the "OMFG Awesome" department :P I've realized however that my main "problem" with the album lies with the two epics that bookend it, it's not that I don't like them, but I don't feel attracted to them like with the previous epics, and I'm also a bit unconvinced by how they've structured.

First of all, I'm all for trying new things and not re-writing previous songs, so changes are always welcome. But the way the songs go... for example, The Ninth Wave starts with an awesome intro, then the music starts in (I'm not bothered in the least by the "modern" sounds), then Hansi screams "when dark night embraces my miiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnd" and....... the moment you'd expect the song to "explode" it stays down again, then comes the nearly-grunted bridge ("Burnt and sealed they may end") and then, out of nowhere, a more uplifting chorus that - of course it's just a matter of taste - I don't feel lives up to choruses of previous epics.

Also Grand Parade, the chorus is a bit better (but I still like way more those of ATTWS, Sacred Worlds and Wheel of Time), but the song is a bit "flat" to me, in terms of mood changes. ATTWS is a musical movie through the story of Troy, Sacred World is really a long-ish song with three choruses but you can still get the feel of it, and Wheel of Time is very soundtrackish with two distint choruses and a you-can't-not-notice-it's-not-there eastern interlude. The way right now I'd describe Grand Prade is "Nine minutes and a half of choirs, counterchoirs and vocals layered one over the other" with no memorable sections.

I KNOW the song does not stay the same throughout it, I know there's a solo section, a time when it slows down etc etc but it doesn't give me the feeling that the other epics give, when I say "flat" I don't mean that nothing happens, but that whatever happens is too much similar to what comes before and what comes other to be recognizable even after 2-3 weeks of listening to it.

Then of course, since each listening brings new stuff that I like (by now, for example, I'm all pumped up singing "I won't lie while bright eyes are turning pale your sand runs low"), I may come here in a week or so and tell that I'm a moron 'cause Grand Parade is the best thing they've ever done, but until then... I will remain a bit underwhelmed by the two main songs of the album I guess!
hehehe, let me say you after listening to it nearly every day those melodies are stuck in my head and i catch myself singing them.
Grand Parade hase some great and remarkable refrain "say goodbye my friend..." and this damnation part is really stucking in my head.

I like it when they turn music in a song into a direction you don't expect. The ninth wave like you described it has some kind of teasing (you expect the song explodes), that makes it so interesting if you ask me. This song really did grow the most on me. I'm still not so much into Sacred mind (the word xanadu and a bit those long singing it reminds me of this pop song from Olivia Newton-John)and twillight of the gods. But the rest really got me.

Orodaran

#1625 Post by Orodaran » 28 Feb 2015 16:09

Yeah, I'd say Sacred Mind doesn't grab me either... The Holy Grail is damn awesome, The Throne is growing very much on me, Prophecies kicks ass and At the Edge of Time, Ashes of Eternity and Distant Memories have all those "woah" moments. And also Miracle Machine is a little wonderful gem, who cares if this time around we didn't get a medievalish ballad!
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

OmegaSlayer

#1626 Post by OmegaSlayer » 28 Feb 2015 23:07

I get what you say Odaran.
Imho the album has some parts where the need to make sound experiments and give a wow factor didn't deliver as they don't feel 100% genuine and spontaneous.

The Ninth Wave, as it clearly wants to change between moods should have had 2 choruses like Wheel Of Time, an uplifting one and a real darker one, especially since the song is lengthy.

Grand Parade sounds too Disney, but thesecond half of the song is cool.

Basically, you mentioned these 2 songs as "Epics", which is true in the intention since they're long, but they have relatively much less meat compared to other BG long songs.
Probably with a 6 minutes length both TNW and GP would have been more effective and catchier.

Guardian'86

#1627 Post by Guardian'86 » 01 Mar 2015 20:37

For sure "Beyond The Red Mirror" is a great album.
But honestly I don't like some things on this album like the fact that it's an orchestral album for an half. The orchestra cover the guitars sound sometime if not usually and this is pretty clear in songs like "at the edge of time", "the throne", "the grand parade".
The other thing is the drummer sound and the simplicity of the drumming except for "the holy grail" and "sacred mind", but generally the drumming is too flat.
The album is absolutely great with a huge performance of Hansi Kursch.
This album for me is the prelude of the orchestral but this was pretty clear from the rumours and maybe from the interviews. I ask myself if they will change their sound and if they can do a great album without orchestra and not with down tuned guitars and something like this happened in some songs of the previous albums.
The choirs are Amazing but clearly this is a great attribute for BG but in the meantime the choirs are too much and so maybe that some great songs with so many choirs can't be played because of them. Anyway for sure this album is better than "at the edge of time" and for sure much much more better ATITM.

Zhuge Liang

#1628 Post by Zhuge Liang » 02 Mar 2015 03:58

Guardian'86 wrote:The orchestra cover the guitars sound sometime if not usually and this is pretty clear in songs like "at the edge of time", "the throne", "the grand parade".
Is this really all that surprising to people? A full sized orchestra is around 100 instruments. Compared to 2 guitars, yeah, the orchestra will probably take over at times.
"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." -Zhuge Liang

OmegaSlayer

#1629 Post by OmegaSlayer » 02 Mar 2015 11:52

Zhuge Liang wrote: Is this really all that surprising to people? A full sized orchestra is around 100 instruments. Compared to 2 guitars, yeah, the orchestra will probably take over at times.
Yeah...it IS surprising.
Look at how many knobs the mixing table to prevent it to happen. :mrgreen:
http://www.yamahacommercialaudiosystems ... mage01.jpg

It's not the first record ever with an orchestra, it's not even the first metal record ever with orchestra, it's not even the first power metal record ever with an orchestra. :P

Now...it's either a choice from BG (and honestly it is a questionable choice), or an halfassed work.
My opinion is that the album would have needed another couple of months to get the mixing done right and Nuclear Blast wasn't willing to wait because the record would have been released in a window that was already busy with Nightwish, which is a band that sells MORE than BG.
Better, it would have needed 2 sound engineers working together, one specialized in orchestral stuff and another one in metal.
It is honestly too much work for a single sound engineer no matter how skilled the s-e is.
Last edited by OmegaSlayer on 03 Mar 2015 08:16, edited 1 time in total.

Guardian'86

#1630 Post by Guardian'86 » 02 Mar 2015 13:42

Zhuge Liang wrote:
Guardian'86 wrote:The orchestra cover the guitars sound sometime if not usually and this is pretty clear in songs like "at the edge of time", "the throne", "the grand parade".
Is this really all that surprising to people? A full sized orchestra is around 100 instruments. Compared to 2 guitars, yeah, the orchestra will probably take over at times.
Indeed this is the point. Too much orchestral sound. I know that this is Amazing and awesome, creating great music along with great choirs too but until what point????
Maybe for them this is the right direction after the failure of the album "a twist in the myth", Andrè said that with the album "at the edge of time" they got a step in the right direction.
I understand the fact that BG album after album in the last years want search new elements for their albums but honestly playing nearly a Whole album with down tuned guitar I don't like too much. Apart from this the production is not too good, the drums sounds flat and too simple.
Like I said the album is pretty good...but with for me it's an orchestral album for an half. I hope they will revisit their sound and especially the drumming firstly. But in the end that's a matter of opinion!

residentour

#1631 Post by residentour » 02 Mar 2015 14:04

but honestly playing nearly a Whole album with down tuned guitar I don't like too much
Most of BG songs (all previous albums incl.) are played drop-half-step downtuned.

For orchestra stuff, I would do the same if I travel across countries and record 100+ people playing real instruments. Hiding non metal instruments behind guitars/drums is sometimes because they are fake synth samplers and they sound too plastic. Combining lots of plastics is, ummm plastic heaven :mrgreen: or shall I say hell :twisted: . I would be disappointed not to hear Wheel of Time orchestration clearly.

sciacallo010

#1632 Post by sciacallo010 » 02 Mar 2015 14:37

Guys the matter here is the idea behind the album; I don't think that it came out differently then how they wanted it to, they are Blind Guardian, one of the Nuclear Blast's best selling band (and let's remember that Wintersun is a NB's band as well and they waited 8 years before coming out with a new "half-album") , they are perfectionists at the point to create a festival just to record a DVD, I don't really think they were forced to release the album before they reached the result they wanted.
As I said the idea behind the album is what matters here: to me this is in some way like a classical music album where every element of an orchestra contribute to the overall music piece; above all in the most majestic songs like At The Edge of Time and Grand Parade guitars are not the leading instruments as in a metal song, they are part of the overall "experience", of the song as a whole alongside with the other elements of the orchestra.

priderock

#1633 Post by priderock » 02 Mar 2015 14:52

sciacallo010 wrote:Guys the matter here is the idea behind the album; I don't think that it came out differently then how they wanted it to, they are Blind Guardian, one of the Nuclear Blast's best selling band (and let's remember that Wintersun is a NB's band as well and they waited 8 years before coming out with a new "half-album") , they are perfectionists at the point to create a festival just to record a DVD, I don't really think they were forced to release the album before they reached the result they wanted.
As I said the idea behind the album is what matters here: to me this is in some way like a classical music album where every element of an orchestra contribute to the overall music piece; above all in the most majestic songs like At The Edge of Time and Grand Parade guitars are not the leading instruments as in a metal song, they are part of the overall "experience", of the song as a whole alongside with the other elements of the orchestra.
I absolutely agree here! I really don't think that BG's conception is creating a clear metal album anymore(and it never was in my opinion)... And I like that honestly :!:

blind-man

#1634 Post by blind-man » 02 Mar 2015 15:33

Orodaran wrote:Yeah, I'd say Sacred Mind doesn't grab me either... The Holy Grail is damn awesome, The Throne is growing very much on me, Prophecies kicks ass and At the Edge of Time, Ashes of Eternity and Distant Memories have all those "woah" moments.
Funny how personal taste works. Sacred Mind is probably my favorite song from the album, while Prophecies and Distant Memories are my "least favorites".

I think this album was the one that took me the longest to really get into, but now that I have I absolutely love it. The only two songs that don't quite do it for me, as mentioned above, are Prophecies and Distant Memories.
Orodaran wrote:I don't need to look metal in my looks because I am metal in my heart 8)

The Rider Of Rohan

#1635 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 02 Mar 2015 18:20

New album. Awesome as fuck.

Just dropped by to let you know. 8)
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

OmegaSlayer

#1636 Post by OmegaSlayer » 02 Mar 2015 22:14

sciacallo010 wrote:Guys the matter here is the idea behind the album; I don't think that it came out differently then how they wanted it to, they are Blind Guardian, one of the Nuclear Blast's best selling band (and let's remember that Wintersun is a NB's band as well and they waited 8 years before coming out with a new "half-album") , they are perfectionists at the point to create a festival just to record a DVD, I don't really think they were forced to release the album before they reached the result they wanted.
Sorry, but you make things bigger than they are.
Blind Guardian up to this record were probably between the 10th and 15th Nuclear Blast band sales wise worldwide, in Europe and Japan they're big, but sales are counted worldwide.
I don't know where you got the festival/DVD info, I remember they made the festival just for fans, but I might be wrong.
Labels plan the releases up to 2 years in advance, because they don't want to cannibalize their own sales.
You just need to check any label release schedule to realize it.
Sometimes albums are ready even 6 months before release, but bands need to wait the release window that the label decided.
Screw that date and you might see your released pushed even 6 months later.
Wintersun...the guy is so up his own ass that he's going to ruin his career...Nuclear Blast is not happy about him and after his stupid rant I doubt any smart label will sign him.
Blind Guardian makes money, but not as much as Testament, Slayer, Machine Head, Nightwish, Soulfly, Sabaton and the list goes on and on and on.
Nuclear Blast wants BG to grow on those other bands level for sure, it's in their interests, but at the moment they're not NB first priority.
So, be sure that NB set a release at least from May-June 2014 and they wanted it to be respected.

OmegaSlayer

#1637 Post by OmegaSlayer » 03 Mar 2015 22:02

Also...just to clear things about the bad production.
This is a live, and you listen it on youtube, and check how you can clearly listen to all the instruments.
And loads of the orchestral parts are more complex than the ones on BTRM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YC4WJcvd7Y

Holysword

#1638 Post by Holysword » 04 Mar 2015 01:51

Orodaran wrote:Yeah, I'd say Sacred Mind doesn't grab me either... The Holy Grail is damn awesome, The Throne is growing very much on me, Prophecies kicks ass and At the Edge of Time, Ashes of Eternity and Distant Memories have all those "woah" moments. And also Miracle Machine is a little wonderful gem, who cares if this time around we didn't get a medievalish ballad!
Dude...
When I've heard that the album was out, I went ahead on youtube to "taste" the new songs... I was thinking
"Hum, this Twilight of the Gods sounds fun... I'm definitelly getting this album! Lets see the next one... what is this, The Throne?"
I've listened The Throne probably 8 times in a row and decided
"Thaaaaats it, I'm getting it now" *grabs jacket and goes to a local store*
Now I regret, I should have searched better or ordered online the earbook. Damn Bards making me so impulsive!

Dragonfly

#1639 Post by Dragonfly » 05 Mar 2015 15:17

Orodaran wrote:Yeah, I'd say Sacred Mind doesn't grab me either... The Holy Grail is damn awesome, The Throne is growing very much on me, Prophecies kicks ass and At the Edge of Time, Ashes of Eternity and Distant Memories have all those "woah" moments. And also Miracle Machine is a little wonderful gem, who cares if this time around we didn't get a medievalish ballad!
I agree, 'Sacred Mind' used to be... hmmm... not the weakest, but... let's say the least remarkable song on the album. I like its heaviness and aggression but it just failed to touch me. Now I'm really starting to dig that one. It grows, and grows, just like 'At The Edge Of Time'. They both become more and more impressive with each listen. And one cannot deny the awesomeness of that WOULD YOU LIKE TO MEET THE TYRANT IN THE TWILIGHT ZONE?-part.

JazzJackrabbit

#1640 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 05 Mar 2015 19:50

Just saw that they're doing another Q&A, this time on Facebook, in about an hour from now.

https://www.facebook.com/blindguardian/ ... permPage=1

priderock

#1641 Post by priderock » 05 Mar 2015 21:35

JazzJackrabbit wrote:Just saw that they're doing another Q&A, this time on Facebook, in about an hour from now.

https://www.facebook.com/blindguardian/ ... permPage=1
Just no comment... This time there're even more stupid thouuuusnds of questions, that have absolutely no sense, meaning, point... and the worst - some of them can be found on the internet!!! What a spammers!!!!! I'm really angry and upset... It writes: "Questions"... Not "Opinions" of how great they are and thousands of these pointless comments!!! Ahhhfggfgghhg

Traveller in Time

#1642 Post by Traveller in Time » 05 Mar 2015 22:10

I was lucky although i didn't expect it.

Yeah some questions are really lame. For example asking for a german tour dates...or what is NIME about.

At least now i know that the documentary Travellers at the edge of time is on hold and will be continued. So in some years we can expect some insight into BG's world. :D

A nice one was this question:
Is Doom an original NIME song and/or is there any news on the unreleased material?

Blind Guardian Yes Doom is an original NIME Song. There's one more song we have of this session, that's all the news i have -AO
or
What does the crow and the red door mean in your new album? Are they any symbolism? Do they come from a book?

Blind Guardian The Red Door plays an important role in mythology and religion. So it is a very strong symbol. This is the reason I have chosen it. Though, in the particular part of the story this is meant to be a failure in transition of the message. The Red Mirror is falsely considered to be a Red Door. The difficulty for the Chosen One is to find the right portal. There are still many doors leading you from one universe to the next, but since you cannot look through, it is more difficult to find the right way, while in earlier days there were plenty of mirrors to use as a safer portal. No matter what, The Red Mirror(and by accident The Red Door) means to be the final existing portal from the one relevant world into the other. The Crow is accompanying me for years and years. It might be the only constant companion(in my imaginations) ever since "Imaginations from the Other Side". The Crow certainly has been the driving force. The inspiration comes from the area we are from and the simple fact that this is the most fascinating species - apart from hares, of course.-HK
WOHOOO!
We rehearsed "curse of feanor"
My interpretation of Beyond the Red Mirror is that it appears to speak on one level to the entire 'mythology' of the band thus far, to make explicit references to themes we have seen before in different songs/albums (both in lyrical subject matter, with the Hare and Crow also appearing in Wait For an Answer, and in terms of musical ideas, such as a solo in The Throne that sounds very much like a solo in And Then There Was Silence), and sort of stand as a testament to the band's oeuvre as it stands after thirty years. Is there anything consciously intentional there on the part of the band? Also, I've observed those sorts of links to every other album, but I haven't yet managed to pinpoint anything that connects to the band's original album with Battalions of Fear. Can you speak to that at all?

Blind Guardian Wait for an Answer literally plays in between "Imaginations From the Other Side" and "Beyond the Red Mirror" - though the whole story has a more reincarnating aspect with regard to Beyond the Red Mirror. Actually this is the place, where the three went, right after the "Departure of the Nine". The Crow is meant to be the "White Crow". Fox and Hare successfully try to avoid genocide in the story where "Wait for an Answer" is based on. I have scratched some of the old Blind Guardian topics and the idea indeed has been to create a stronger incarnation of the Guardian universe, yet there are strong ties to reality: an overwhelming supply of facts and information. Hard to differ what is correct, since all claim to be real and true. Once these storyboard citations have been made, we did the same with pieces of the production and musical citations. -HK
What is the story, the tale, behind the "Beyond the Red Mirror" 's lyrics? What are they talking about?

Blind Guardian That would go a little too far here. Sorry. The meaning of names definitely play an important role in understanding the deeper meaning of the story. Arthur - Bear ...

blind-man

#1643 Post by blind-man » 06 Mar 2015 02:22

That Q&A was a disgrace. Lots of stupid questions, "please come to X" comments , and "why don't you keep releasing the same album over and over again" types of questions.
Orodaran wrote:I don't need to look metal in my looks because I am metal in my heart 8)

sciacallo010

#1644 Post by sciacallo010 » 06 Mar 2015 10:21

blind-man wrote:That Q&A was a disgrace. Lots of stupid questions, "please come to X" comments , and "why don't you keep releasing the same album over and over again" types of questions.
I agree, as Traveller in Time pointed out there were some interesting questions and answers, but also an awful lot of trivial and dumb questions.
And above all, for fuck's sake, Americans, they already said a thousand times that they are coming for an american tour in September/October why you keep asking?! When they'll have all the dates confirmed they'll announce them!

Traveller in Time

#1645 Post by Traveller in Time » 06 Mar 2015 19:17

Wow Hansi even continued answering questions on the next day here some stuff what can be interesting:

We have used "Doom" (in a new version) and "Harvest of Sorrow". One song is still left. We may release it, one day. The reason, that it is not on the album is based on the simple fact, that the lyrics were not adjustable to the concept. A song about Feanor would not necessarily have made sense within the context.-HK
What is the crow doing at the moment? Is she satisfied with your story? She can't be considered good or bad, or?

Blind Guardian Ambitious, clever, selfish, insane to a certain extend. A real survivor. Long term planer. Good, or bad? The answer is given in "The Ninth Wave".
On the first album there are some political lyrics in addition to the usual fantasy stuff. Did you guys decide "let's not do this anymore" or did you just lose interest?

Blind Guardian There are political issues here and there woven in even after BoF. Sometimes it is just about symbols, sometimes there are quotes(Wait For An Answer) within the lyrics, which point out unbalances in the Here and Now. We have not lost interest in real life. Even though I think, the message in B.o.F. is quite decent, I believe the chosen words are not always suitable and things would have needed to be described a little better in the song. I am not even sure, if the music goes along with my lyrical attempt with regard to this particular piece. At the very end almost all songs deal with the question what is good and what is bad, or what is right and what is wrong. I believe, the answer is always based on perspectives and therefore I do not like to judge too quickly. When it comes to lyrics and storytelling, I don´t want to be straight forward. BtRM deals with very actual topics. It delivers a massive amount of distorted information. Welcome to the real life. How can something be more actual, at the moment?-HK
What a hell means "lying toad"? (btw Prophecies my favorite one in the new album, hope to see i t live in Porto Alegre )

Blind Guardian It is the only time she(the Toad is indeed female) is speaking to the Chosen One directly. In the past she was betraying her brethren - the remaining- "Nine" and helped the Fallen Son to gain power far beyond imagination. She is blaming herself for her lying toad, which caused all that dilemma.-HK
Hi. Congratulations on the the new album. It's without doubt a master piece an one of my favorite metal albums. My question is. I know the concept of this album came from imaginations from the other side but other than that. What is your inspirations? An do you feel you are now getting the recognition you deserve? respect.

Blind Guardian There was a lot of research necessary to complete the whole story. I was chasing in between mythology, history and actual news to find anything that could be linked. For example I have started with Henry VIII(check out the name of his brother), found Thomas Morus and ended up with C.S. Lewis, who sent me back to Shakespeare. As for the recognition: we get what we deserve:-)-HK
Hello my favourite band! I have a question for Hansi: who is the narrator in the first large prose part in the BTRM booklet? The one starting with the phrase 'Before we begin: this is strictly confidential'.

Blind Guardian This would be my fictional "Me". One of the first inspirations for the story board goes back to "Another Stranger Me". I have skipped that idea for most of the parts, later on, but thought it would be nice to bring it back at that particular point. -HK

Light of Eärendil

#1646 Post by Light of Eärendil » 18 Mar 2015 18:05

For those who would like to listen to Grand Parade (Alternate Version) that comes on the 10" vinyl I've made a WAV transfer... you can download it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h612ie2r34f3a ... 9.wav?dl=0

blindgfan

#1647 Post by blindgfan » 18 Mar 2015 21:17

Light of Eärendil wrote:For those who would like to listen to Grand Parade (Alternate Version) that comes on the 10" vinyl I've made a WAV transfer... you can download it here:

Thanks. Much better quality. Where can I find the lyrics?

sciacallo010

#1648 Post by sciacallo010 » 18 Mar 2015 21:42

Light of Eärendil wrote:For those who would like to listen to Grand Parade (Alternate Version) that comes on the 10" vinyl I've made a WAV transfer... you can download it here:

Thanks a lot man!
Could you upload also the other song on the 10" vinyl?

Light of Eärendil

#1649 Post by Light of Eärendil » 18 Mar 2015 22:14

sciacallo010 wrote:Thanks a lot man!
Sure man! Tomorrow I'll have time to do it...

sciacallo010

#1650 Post by sciacallo010 » 18 Mar 2015 22:18

Light of Eärendil wrote:
sciacallo010 wrote:Thanks a lot man!
Sure man! Tomorrow I'll have time to do it...
That's great, thanks again.
It's so bad having the Earbook Deluxe and not being able to play the vinyl because I don't have the vinyl player here :mrgreen: