Blind Guardian's 10th Album, "Beyond the Red Mirror"

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Orodaran

Re: Blind Guardian's 10th Album, "Beyond the Red Mirror"

#1551 Post by Orodaran » 11 Feb 2015 20:44

You're not the last, I listened to the album only today! It was my intention all along to buy it without hearing clips or leaks, and I finally succeeded even though being ill delayed me a bit 8)

I am too overwhelmed by the huge complexity of the album, and I agree as well that the most accessible ones are The Holy Grail (damn that song is awesome!) and Miracle Machine. Love the intro to The Ninth Wave, but as with the rest of the album, I'll have to understand what the hell is going on :lol: :P

The at the time criticized A Night at the Opera is straightforward 4/4 hard rock compared to this album.... I will listen to it carefully in the coming days, hoping it will click with me - after 20 years of listening to Blind Guardian I don't want to grow out of them just yet!
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Dragonfly

#1552 Post by Dragonfly » 11 Feb 2015 20:53

Well, maybe simultaneously... :P
What I've noticed is that the whole thing just rushed past me while I was sitting there in front of the stereo with the book in my hands even though yeah, it takes time to find out what the hell is going on, as you said. But I like the freshness of the entire thing, 77 minutes felt like barely half an hour. Let's now decrypt this musical beast!
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

Freak666

#1553 Post by Freak666 » 11 Feb 2015 21:21

Just take your time. I promise after the 5th listening you will love it.
The feelings you have shared of beeing worried about its complexity is what we all felt the first spin.

Dragonfly

#1554 Post by Dragonfly » 11 Feb 2015 21:27

I hope so. :)
Four years ago, 'At The Edge Of Time' didn't strike me at once either, there were only two songs that just killed me on the very first listen.

Infernal Lord

#1555 Post by Infernal Lord » 11 Feb 2015 23:29

Freak666 wrote:Just take your time. I promise after the 5th listening you will love it.
The feelings you have shared of beeing worried about its complexity is what we all felt the first spin.
This! It gets better and better. To me this album just keeps giving - I've listened to nothing else for 10 days (the missus is starting to get REALLY pissed off with it...! :mrgreen: ) and each time it goes round I discover something new.

I still can't quite get my head around the storyline, but that's another story! :lol:
The Nine sing
Once upon a dream ago
We're the ones you've left alone

Traveller in Time

#1556 Post by Traveller in Time » 12 Feb 2015 22:54

ok the interview is available,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYTIJwUAoak

but really it's hard to say something about it. It is more like a private talk about the life and BG's past, getting older, metal scene etc. They speak short about the story of BTRM, but there isn' anything we don't know already or what wasn't said in interviews before.
There is really no huge value, or no new infos.
There is no word about the orchestra project. It's nice listening to, because it gives you an insight of hansi's personality, but die hard infos are really not there.
BTW you can win to personalized concert tickets for a BG show of your choice in germany, austria or swiss, you just have to post onyoutube Hansi's favourite line of NIME

I'll try to sum it up, but really there is nothing worth speaking about.
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Zhuge Liang

#1557 Post by Zhuge Liang » 13 Feb 2015 05:57

So I bought the 2 LP red splatter vinyl. Sides A, B, and D sound great. Side C sound really awful, kind of muddy. There's nothing on my needle to cause it (why would it only affect one side and not the other 3?), and the amount of dust/minor debris is pretty equal on every side. Did this happen to anyone else? I sent a a question in to Nuclear Blast about it. It's really annoying seeing as side C has 3 of the better songs (Holy Grail, Throne, Sacred Mind).
"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." -Zhuge Liang

priderock

#1558 Post by priderock » 13 Feb 2015 06:58

Traveller in Time wrote:ok the interview is available,

but really it's hard to say something about it. It is more like a private talk about the life and BG's past, getting older, metal scene etc. They speak short about the story of BTRM, but there isn' anything we don't know already or what wasn't said in interviews before.
There is really no huge value, or no new infos.
There is no word about the orchestra project. It's nice listening to, because it gives you an insight of hansi's personality, but die hard infos are really not there.
BTW you can win to personalized concert tickets for a BG show of your choice in germany, austria or swiss, you just have to post onyoutube Hansi's favourite line of NIME

I'll try to sum it up, but really there is nothing worth speaking about.

Ok, thanks anyway!!! :) As for the orchestral project, I'm pretty sure we'll get something like a "New Years address" at the beginning of 2016...maybe... :?

OmegaSlayer

#1559 Post by OmegaSlayer » 13 Feb 2015 13:11

International charts positions

Germany: 04
Austria: 08
Swiss: 10
Czech Repubblic: 12
Finland: 14
Spain: 31
Sweden: 34
Italy: 36
Japan: 45 (10 international charts)
Canada: 49 (4 Top Hard charts)
UK: 54 (05 Rock charts, 11 Indie charts)
France: 57
USA: 132 (03 Heatseekers charts, 06 Top Hard charts)

In Italy ATEOT was 21, so BG lost 15 spots and the average Italian power metal fan is not liking BTRM, and even the reviews are weaker than in other Countries.
But Germany...Germany is a failure imho.
Powerwolf' "Preachers Of The Night" took the number one spot.
A band with a lesser name, a lesser budget, a worse distribution and releasing albums on a normal schedule.
Obviously charts don't equate to quality certification, but they gauge how much you're in contact with the fanbase.

This album, as good as it is, lacks spontaneity, it's odd for the sake of being odd and it's unevenly polished, voice and lead guitars are polished, everything else who cares.

I so so so hope these guys get their feet back on the ground.

RandomName

#1560 Post by RandomName » 13 Feb 2015 14:29

OmegaSlayer wrote: Obviously charts don't equate to quality certification, but they gauge how much you're in contact with the fanbase.
Obviously. The fanbase will die, and the musicians, but the music will not.

El_Martillo

#1561 Post by El_Martillo » 13 Feb 2015 15:35

OmegaSlayer wrote: But Germany...Germany is a failure imho.
A band with a lesser name, a lesser budget, a worse distribution and releasing albums on a normal schedule.
Obviously charts don't equate to quality certification, but they gauge how much you're in contact with the fanbase.
Isn't it also a question of the competition in the particular week of the release? With mainstream acts like Deichkind releasing their record parallel, one can't expect to reach No. 1. And to predicate they lost the contact with their fanbase because they didn't chart on 1 is kind of farfetched...

blindgfan

#1562 Post by blindgfan » 13 Feb 2015 17:45

OmegaSlayer wrote:International charts positions

In Italy ATEOT was 21, so BG lost 15 spots and the average Italian power metal fan is not liking BTRM, and even the reviews are weaker than in other Countries.

This album, as good as it is, lacks spontaneity, it's odd for the sake of being odd and it's unevenly polished, voice and lead guitars are polished, everything else who cares.

WTF??? Amon Amarth was in U.S. top 20.

ErHaO

#1563 Post by ErHaO » 13 Feb 2015 18:01

We need total numbers. Charts are also heavily dependent on the performance of other artists and their respective fanbases. Also, do streams count towards the numbers? How does BG fare on Spotify/Deezer, for example? And do all versions count in all those countries? (I think so; vinyl, different CD versions, downloads etc.).

I think a few years of not releasing new music and not touring does harm sales a bit, and over the many years it is more difficult to maintain steady numbers. It is also their least accessible album (moreso than ANATO imo) and many people do not seem to be too fond on the single.

But seeing how it ranked at Itunes and Amazon, I am not expecting this one to do bad at all.

OmegaSlayer

#1564 Post by OmegaSlayer » 13 Feb 2015 18:28

El_Martillo wrote:
Isn't it also a question of the competition in the particular week of the release? With mainstream acts like Deichkind releasing their record parallel, one can't expect to reach No. 1. And to predicate they lost the contact with their fanbase because they didn't chart on 1 is kind of farfetched...
They're losing contact neverthless.
In the moment when your fanbase doesn't buy an album day 1 there's something going on.
I don't know how many metal-related forums you guys take part into but the average expectation is "Can't wait to listen the new BG, but I fear they will release a dump", so surely less and less people will purchase the album day 1.
Add the decision to pick the worse song for the single, not releasing a video and...you know what?
I feel that BTRM is a bit out of touch with reality as it is too forced on some parts and it's rushed out without ironing out some stuff like production and marketing.

Again, I ask you to not be stubborn Blind Guardian fans but be objective.
For average Joe the Metalhead, this album is not worth more than 4 years of wait.
In 4 years the teenage metalheads could have redeemed to pop music, or jumped to another kind of metal for example.

Being out of touch is not related to be or not number one, but it's a factor why they won't reach number one.
It's a cause, not an effect.

@ErHaO
Thanks for being always a wise guy that manages to be lucid and objective :)
I think all the PAID versions of the album are taken into account.
It's in the interest of the record label to have all that data detailed.
Spotify anyway has very humble numbers for BG for example compared to Sabaton or other power metal bands.

RandomName

#1565 Post by RandomName » 13 Feb 2015 19:28

Actually that's true that an average metalhead is even unaware of BG's existence, and I don't think that's the fact one has to bother too much of.

Traveller in Time

#1566 Post by Traveller in Time » 13 Feb 2015 20:01

media charts in germany are no longer counting the sales.
They are counting the business volume.
But you are right there were strong opponents, and i'm wondering how pre-sales count.
Because at some charts i saw records listed which are in pre-sale but not available, but i don't know how it is in official charts.
It would be strange if they are counted seperately.

They were no.1 at amazon heavy metal and no. 39 or so in total, so not that bad. And i bet many peopel bought directly at NB or EMP.
maybe after christmas people were running out of money, especially man bills have to be paid in december / january
Not matter in my list they are no.1

sciacallo010

#1567 Post by sciacallo010 » 13 Feb 2015 20:58

I'm italian, living in the UK and I bought the album from the german NB webshop.
In what country's chart are the (several editions) I bought?

Those comparisons don't make much sense to me: if bigger bands (in terms of fanbase size such as Metallica or AC/DC) come out with a new album in the same week as a smaller band (such as Blind Guardian) it would be impossible for the smaller band to gain the highest positions in the chart.
As I said above there's also the "problem" of the many many people who buy the album online from foreign sellers who are cheaper.
The only fact that matters are the overall sales in the world.

PS: by the way in the UK they gained 134 positions in the chart from the last album (197 for ATEOT against 54 for Beyond the Red Mirror)

Led Guardian

#1568 Post by Led Guardian » 13 Feb 2015 23:03

Traveller in Time wrote: They were no.1 at amazon heavy metal and no. 39 or so in total, so not that bad. And i bet many peopel bought directly at NB or EMP.
maybe after christmas people were running out of money, especially man bills have to be paid in december / january
Not matter in my list they are no.1
Day 1, I actually saw the album hit number 14 in Amazon music overall, which is really good.
OmegaSlayer wrote:Again, I ask you to not be stubborn Blind Guardian fans but be objective.
For average Joe the Metalhead, this album is not worth more than 4 years of wait.
In 4 years the teenage metalheads could have redeemed to pop music, or jumped to another kind of metal for example.
Here's the thing: you aren't actually being objective. You are looking at the chart numbers and choosing to interpret them in a way that confirms your own personal feelings on the album. You are just as guilty of confirmation bias as everyone else. Having your own opinion is about the album is fine, but realize that that opinion is influencing your perception of the band's overall success, and that you have too little information to make any sort of claim to objectivity regarding it. Everything you say about them being "out of touch" and having trouble connecting with their fans is a bare step from pure speculation, however you try to spin the numbers to support you conclusion.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Gandalf de Grijze

#1569 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 13 Feb 2015 23:56

OmegaSlayer wrote:
El_Martillo wrote:
They're losing contact neverthless.
In the moment when your fanbase doesn't buy an album day 1 there's something going on.
I don't know how many metal-related forums you guys take part into but the average expectation is "Can't wait to listen the new BG, but I fear they will release a dump", so surely less and less people will purchase the album day 1.
Add the decision to pick the worse song for the single, not releasing a video and...you know what?
I feel that BTRM is a bit out of touch with reality as it is too forced on some parts and it's rushed out without ironing out some stuff like production and marketing.

Being out of touch is not related to be or not number one, but it's a factor why they won't reach number one.

@ErHaO
Spotify anyway has very humble numbers for BG for example compared to Sabaton or other power metal bands.
I have highlighted two lines from this post that I would like to comment on.

First it is the comment that implies that everyone who disagrees with you is simply a stupid fanboy not open to critique. I take offense at that, don't assume you are right because you are more critical than others here, which seems to be the case not only in this discussion but also in others.
While you may have a couple of good points in your criticisms, your conclusions tend to be overdrawn and based on assumptions that hardly apply to the band (if they apply at all). For example you assume a whole lot about the relationships between bandmembers, in particular about Thomen and Frederick, when we don't truly know what kind of influence either Thomen or Frederick have had in the writing and production process of the albums.

Also with point #2, you have actually said it yourself: chart positions mean nothing about quality, it is simply a popularity contest. And while most of us here may believe BG is one of the best bands in the world, myself included, I also know that they will never be #1 material, simply because their material isn't "easy listening" enough to appeal to the metal masses. Nonetheless they have been gaining new listeners with each album according to their own admissions.
This is shown also by the shows and sizes. Again 10-11 shows already the warm-up gig in Krefeld is sold out! In Spain they will even play one show more than last tour, which also goes for Brasil, France and Russia. The venues are often the same or larger.

Then there is the fact that you assume that everybody is capable and willing to buy a new album on day 1. BG for me is the ONLY band that I preorder, all the other bands that I like, some of whom I really love to death, will not see me buy the album on day 1, but only on the day that I feel I can spend the money on them without having to forego paying a bill or something. In order to buy the earbook I had to temporarily cut back on other things I like.
Then there are many people I know who prefer to buy their cd's at concerts for the simple fact that that way more of their money actually arrives in the pockets of the band, and not the pockets of various middle-men and sometimes ludicrous record companies. Plus the aforementioned fact that people order at various places online. I myself for example ordered a copy at NB and one at the dutch EMP, both sales will not count for the dutch charts.

I also don't believe the band is losing touch with the fans, as a matter of fact, they've never been too hot on frequent communications with the fans while in the studio anyway. On the other hand they are very accessible towards their fans while on tour, which I personally find infitessimally more important than them being social media wizards. But honestly, the amount of contact the band has with the fanbase, will not make them chart higher.
On a personal note: I'm quite happy they don't report on every single fart in the studio or tourbus like some other bands seem to do.

I agree with Led here:
Led Guardian wrote:Here's the thing: you aren't actually being objective. You are looking at the chart numbers and choosing to interpret them in a way that confirms your own personal feelings on the album. You are just as guilty of confirmation bias as everyone else. Having your own opinion is about the album is fine, but realize that that opinion is influencing your perception of the band's overall success, and that you have too little information to make any sort of claim to objectivity regarding it. Everything you say about them being "out of touch" and having trouble connecting with their fans is a bare step from pure speculation, however you try to spin the numbers to support you conclusion.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Led Guardian

#1570 Post by Led Guardian » 14 Feb 2015 00:27

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:First it is the comment that implies that everyone who disagrees with you is simply a stupid fanboy not open to critique. I take offense at that, don't assume you are right because you are more critical than others here, which seems to be the case not only in this discussion but also in others.
This is probably the one thing I like least on internet fan communities. There's just this general trend on the internet that pointing out flaws is somehow an inherently more objective exercise than praising something's qualities. As if by not liking something, or at least not liking it as much as someone else, that somehow makes an opinion more realistic or credible.

I've heard people joke that loving something authentically and passionately is the antithesis of being a hipster. I feel like that applies to the internet as well. Like loving something makes a person less believable. That you can critically dislike something, but not critically love it; that to love something you have to discard critical thought. And I just don't understand that.

Okay, tangent rant over. :lol:
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

sciacallo010

#1571 Post by sciacallo010 » 14 Feb 2015 01:49

Traveller in Time wrote:no there is no word about details, just an orchestra plus Hansi's voice (at least it once was said in the past).

But on thursday there will be a second video with a longer interview, maybe then we get more details.
This one is more a studio tour, where Hansi explains the rooms (what was recorded or mixed here and there)
The second video came out, can anyone please translate at least the most interesting things?
Thanks a lot :mrgreen:

drummer88

#1572 Post by drummer88 » 14 Feb 2015 12:09

OmegaSlayer wrote: They're losing contact neverthless.

@ErHaO
Well, at least in the biggest german metal forum (rock hard forum) that wasn't the case at all. Everybody was really eager to hear the new Album and especially now two weeks after the release the opinions couldn't be better. Most of the People Claim it to be a Milestone or the best Album since NIME. That wasn't the case with ATEOT.

Edain

#1573 Post by Edain » 14 Feb 2015 12:55

In fact most of the reviews - international and national - are very favorable. Mediocre reviews are the clear minority.

I wanted to mention the Rock Hard Forum as well - prior to the release the majority there was quite sceptical but since the release there are hardly any negative comments, most are really really positive, if not enthusiastic. And Rock Hard Forum is pretty much the home of Average Metal Joe. Amazon & metal-archives reviews are also extremely positive up to now. The tour is bigger than the last one and has Japan-dates again.

So I don't think it's fanboyish to have a positive impression of the albums impact.

Just two last thoughts: for a Metal act that is not Metallica or Iron Maiden it is not possible to beat Deichkind in the German charts in week 1. Deichkind is huge and it's more accessible for a wide audience. It's damn well done hiphop.

And Sabaton is for the Metal audience what Deichkind is for the mainstream audience. It's accessible, fun and professionally executed. As much as it hurts my fanboy heart it's no surprise that Sabaton has currently more commercial success than Blind Guardian - but commercial success is in most cases diametral to complexity. If they want to do complex stuff they're not gonna make it to #1 because most people want easy-listening stuff. Thats a simple fact.

As a fan one can only hope that they're going to have enough commercial success as to being able to create the music they want to create. More is not necessary.
"Edis Rehto Eht Morf Snoitanigami!"

OmegaSlayer

#1574 Post by OmegaSlayer » 14 Feb 2015 13:27

First of all, I apologize to those who feel offended about my "fanboy" criticism.
The point is that, being this the official forum, there is indeed someone who is not open to criticism.
Anyway, if my words offended you, and you took the time to reply to me, your open to talk, this meaning you fall out of the category.

I didn't made a parallel between BG and a band with the same level of fame, or bigger level of fame, but with much smaller level of fame, smaller budget and so on.
What you guys call for BG (not buying day 1, buying at gigs and so on) is worth for all the other bands.
I mentioned a band (Powerwolf) playing in the same even field.

Though I ask myself...how did Nuclear Blast promoted the album?
It's normal that labels start releasing music videos with a slight advance, they do it constantly.
BG in late November (said in a youtube interview) didn't even know which song to pick yet.
Sincerely I think that they were thinking too much to the 13th guitar overdub than how to promote their work.
It's insane that after 4 years you don't have a full fletched release plan for your album.

Again, on the personal relations in BG, I still refer to interviews.
When Hansi says that they barely meet each other, that they tray to mostly keep their spaces on tour and be on their own except some occurrencies and stuff...when it's "André sent me this, I did that and he replied", Marcus songs are always b-sides.

It's an aspect that I don't like, but it's not that I don't like it because I'm the beginning and end of the world, I don't like it because I think that working this way BG never exploits their best.
Surely it works, it worked so far and will keep working.
Still BG is a band with loads of people with talent (now even Barend, and I never downplayed Frederik's performance but his personality) where 2 people takes all the spot and decisions and "album time" with most tracks/overdubs and so on.

And in all that they don't have the time to decide the song for the video, it's silly and I'm sure something that creates even some buttaches to the label.
What's next?
The stage that is not ready by the time the tour starts.

I'm the first being pissed that they didn't get the number 1 spot (which, again, according to their interviews they wanted to reach) because they deserve it, and the record deserves it, but still I see that the problem is on their side more than the fan side.

Traveller in Time

#1575 Post by Traveller in Time » 14 Feb 2015 16:53

Wow sometimes you are painting a really black vision.

But what do we have now? We have a killer album, we have a Hansi which is in best shape ever (when i read his interviews)
Marcus and Frederik have Sinbreed to fulffil their creativity (it doesn necessary mean that if there are 5 working people on one project it is the best project.
past shows that many great inventions were firstly born in a dark, small room with one person thinking over and over again about it.)
Don't get me wrong, both ways can work, but maybe only this one works for BG (imagine it would take them 8 years for a single album because double of time they would spend on discussions.)

How much creativity Marcus and Frederik and Barend invest isn't written down, so how will you know in the end? Maybe it's more than it seems.
It's interesting to talk about it, but little by little this discussion gets out of hand, we have no facts and just guessing things and now it's kind of sewing some doubts and pessimistic thoughts (e.g. critics on Frederik etc.) i don't want to support any longer. Because words once said can't be taken back.

Who are we ? i for myself i'm no musician, no person in focus, i am just 2/3 of the age of the BG members and i think i can analyse them and give thems some kind of advices?
That's weird. Isn't it?
I trust in them they never failed so far, and even when they'll do so in future, it's their decision, will and they have my respect for it.

You always can say what would be IF........
you always can say that and nobody can proof you wrong, people are making money with this sentence
But in the end it's just fiction and sometimes it's funny to talk about, but don't spend too much time in it.
The Here and now is real and demands more our focus then an IF world.

Traveller in Time

#1576 Post by Traveller in Time » 14 Feb 2015 17:50

But now to something completely different:

interview lose facts i have written down:

- Krefeld: ugly city, but has some nice places like the castle Linn (where Hansi did grew up next to it, also inspiration for The Bard's song)
but Hansi's heart is there and it's aquite place which is helpful for songwriting)

- Hamburg: most beautiful city in germany, once he could imagined to live there, but he's ok with Krefeld. No need to live in USA like other bands like Ramstein do.

- Hansi prefers tea more than coffee, and wine more than beer

- likes to do songwriting in the studio, where it is quite, warm, has a cup of tea/coffee, some literature, some internet, some music. a tlittle chat with Daniel (working in the studio/management) Perfect for him.

- music is their passion, not work

- came to rock music via his sister (who got an LP player) and then later he was allowed to use it, too. Listened to some Kate Bush
first self bought record: Beach Boys 20 golden greates, later Queen then Deep Purple. He first disliked DP but on the other side was fascinated by their heavyness and speed. "Fireball" grew on him.

- still himself a fan of music

- routine on stage: the best to happen, because if you are in doubts about songs there is always trouble.

- classic songs he still likes to perform (not bored) and they will stay in their live set, no need to sort them out

- wanted to get professional soccer player first, but had not that talent and maybe not the iron will to do so. later had knee problems

- Holy grail and Twilight of the gods could become so called "evergreens" The Ninth wave and grand parade can be the same like ATTWS and get part of a live set, but hard to sing a long the BtRM stuff he states

- has no issues with getting older ('i never was fastest in running'), or especially with getting 50. had no problems with getting 40 (got more relaxed, mor thinking before doing something twice), just with getting 30 he had some problems, because then he felt like being adult (first body achings showed up).

- soccer and ice hockey fan, but no die hard. attends to a game once in 4 years (soccer: KFC Uerdingen (former times Bayer 04 Uerdingen, ice hockey:Krefeld Penguins*)

- about writing a soccer hymn: Never! Other's should do that. Last one was a Coldplay cover with some Xavier Naidoo elements

- drugs & alcohol: drugs have never been a topic for BG. in younger days alcohol was their drug, but since 20 Hansi stays away from hard alcohol.
played 2-3 shows drunk and it was a mess. Drinking and singing doesn't get along together
wondering how other bands can handle that, but in the end they suffer from it.
drugs for writing music wouldn't work at BG, too much details

- Justin Biber: 'it's no music! But he is a superstar, so he can't be that loser at all'

- Hansi has a thick skin when it comes to critics and tries to to sing even when he is ill instead of cancelling a show.

- Smart phones in the audience: respects them, but he thinks you lose a lot of it when not looking around and just staring on your display. People can't rate a show based of a single moment recorded by a smartphone on youtube,

- Name: Came from "Fates Warning - Awakening The Guardian". Great symbol character of the name (blind guardian) Bandlogo: Recognized really late that it was the same font like the logo of the Bee Gees, but he thinks they have no problem with it nowadays.

- personal aim: success and reaching much as people as possible with their music.

- projects with other bands: besides D&W no, Marcus and Frederik have Sinbreed, and Andre makes what he wants, but is happy with beeing creative just for BG. Quote: "Hansen was enough!" ;)

- would you change things in your life: no, Hansi says that all his mistakes, which he often made twice just brough him to his life he is in now, and he is really happy with it. Fall down and get up would be his life-phrase. "You learn this when you are a child and it seems people are losing this (mentally seen) when they are grown up it seems".

* schwarze Füße, gelbe Zähne KEV! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Traveller in Time on 14 Feb 2015 22:01, edited 3 times in total.

Warmoth

#1577 Post by Warmoth » 14 Feb 2015 20:31

Thanks for the translation!

I laughed when I looked up the BeeGees Logo! :lol:

As far as rankings go, I can only speak of the US (It seems metal and Intelligent music in general is more accepted over in europe)
As awesome as it would be, the day BG is #1 in the US is the day they've changed for the worse. Sadly, even my "Metal" friends don't get them.

I appreciate their "No compromise" attitude when it comes to doing what they want.

priderock

#1578 Post by priderock » 14 Feb 2015 21:10

Traveller in Time wrote:But now to something completely different:

interview lose facts i have written down:

- Krefeld: ugly city, but has some nice places like the castle Linn (where Hansi did grew up next to it, also inspiration for The Bard's song)
but Hansi's heart is there and it's aquite place which is helpful for songwriting)

- Hamburg: most beautiful city in germany, once he could imagined to live there, but he's ok with Krefeld. No need to live in USA like other bands like Ramstein do.

- Hansi prefers tea more than beer, and wine more than beer

- likes to do songwriting in the studio, where it is quite, warm, has a cup of tea/coffee, some literature, some internet, some music. a tlittle chat with Daniel (working in the studio/management) Perfect for him.

- music is their passion, not work

- came to rock music via his sister (who got an LP player) and then later he was allowed to use it, too. Listened to some Kate Bush
first self bought record: Beach Boys 20 golden greates, later Queen then Deep Purple. He first disliked DP but on the other side was fascinated by it's heavyness and speed. "Fireball" grew on him.

- still himself a fan of music

- routine on stage: the best to happen, because if you are in doubt's about songs there is always trouble.

- classic songs he still likes to perform (not bored) and they will stay in their live set, no need to sort them out

- wanted to get professional soccer player first, but had not that talent and maybe not the iron will to do so. later had knee problems

- Holy grail and Twilight of the gods could become so called "Evergreens" The Ninth wave and grand parade can be the same like ATTWS and get part of a live set, but hard to sing a long the BtRM stuff he states

- has no issues with getting older ('i never was fastest in running'), or especially with geeting 50. had no problems with getting 40 (got more relaxed, mor thinking before doing something twice), just with getting 30 he had some problems, because then he felt like being adult (first body achings showed up).

- soccer and ice hockey fan, but no die hard. attends to a game once in 4 years (soccer: KFC Uerdingen (former times Bayer 04 Uerdingen, ice hockey:Krefeld Penguins*)

- about writing a soccer hymn: Never! Other's should do that. Last one was a Coldplay cover with some Xavier Naidoo elements

- drugs & alcohol: drugs have never been a topic for BG. in younger days alcohol was their drug, but since 20 Hansi stays away from hard alcohol.
played 2-3 shows drunk and it was a mess. Drinking and singing doesn't get along together
wondering how other bands can handle that, but in the end they suffer from it.
drugs for writing music wouldn't work at BG, too much details

- Justin Biber: 'it's no music! But he is a superstar, so he can't be that loser at all'

- Hansi has a thick skin when it comes to critics and tries to to sing even when he is ill instead of cancelling a show.

- Smart phones in the audience: respects them, but he thinks you lose a lot of it when not looking around and just staring on your display. People can't rate a show because of a single moment recorded by a smartphone on youtube,

- Name: Came from "Fates Warning - Awakening The Guardian". Great symbol character of the name (blind guardian) Bandlogo: Recognized really late that it was the same font like the logo of the Bee Gees, but he thinks they have no problem with it nowadays.

- personal aim: success and reaching much as people as possible with their music.

- projects with other bands: besides D&W no, Marcus and Frederik have Sinbreed, and Andre makes what he wants, but is happy with beeing creative just for BG. Quote: "Hansen was enough!" ;)

- would you change things in your life: no, hansi says that all his mistakes, which he often made twice just brough him to his life he is in know, and he is really happy with it. Fall down and get up would be his life phrase. you learn this when you are a baby and it seems people are losing this (mentally) when they are grown up it seems.

* schwarze Füße, gelbe Zähne KEV! :mrgreen:
Thanks for translating it!!! I'm happy for you being a part of this forum!!! :mrgreen: :D :wink:

Traveller in Time

#1579 Post by Traveller in Time » 14 Feb 2015 21:52

priderock wrote:
Thanks for translating it!!! I'm happy for you being a part of this forum!!! :mrgreen: :D :wink:
:oops:
Wow thanks, it would be nice if this video could be translated 1:1 (but therefore my english skills are far not experienced enough), because it's really nice personal talking. But well you all might know that Hansi has really some next door guy character.

priderock

#1580 Post by priderock » 14 Feb 2015 23:00

Traveller in Time wrote:
priderock wrote:
:oops:
Wow thanks, it would be nice if this video could be translated 1:1 (but therefore my english skills are far not experienced enough), because it's really nice personal talking. But well you all might know that Hansi has really some next door guy character.
It's a great work, man!!! As for Hansi, I really agree about his personality - A genius with a great heart, I think :)

OmegaSlayer

#1581 Post by OmegaSlayer » 14 Feb 2015 23:23

Thanks Traveller for the translation.

As for seeing things dark and gloom.
I had been following BG from 1992 when I was 14, discovering them with Banish From Sanctuary on a friend's tape and rented SFB and the other albums from a big store in Roma that rented CDs and had everything that was released worldwide.
For those wondering how early I started to listen to Metal...I got Iron Maiden's Powerslave for my 8th bday, I wanted it for the cover, but loved the music sooooo much.
In fact BG albums couldn't be found anywhere in Italy until Imaginations was released.
I remember it was April/May when it was released as I was still 16 (my bday is in June).
Together with my friends we managed to find and purchase Battalions and Follow CD just after Imaginations.
I remember we literally spent afternoons together just listening to BG and playing Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger and Secret Of Mana.
We also had our RPG session with BG as soundtrack.
We could find Tales and Somewhere just some days before their first concert in Roma, which was December 12th 1995 at Circolo degli Artisti, which was in a very dangerous area of the City, and it was a real fight to get my parents' permission to go.
My first concert, the one of my favourite band.
With my friends and bandmates, all at the first metal concert, we waited 2 years for that day.
We all went dressed as the Guardian and were in the front line.
We were like 300 people coming from half of Italy, but the venue was soooo small that it was impossible to move.
I remember Marcus being fat in his very tight jeans and Star Wars t-shirt and Hansi playing his bass only when he remembered he had to LOL
Then after the concert we met the band.
I still remember Hansi and Thomen in their bathrobe in cold December stopping by to shake hands with the fans.
I remember Thomen asking me a cigarette and smoking together and he offered me a beer.
Then my best friend, (who has disappeared into thin air, not dead, just...vanished in October 5th 2008) met at University a dude that worked for an Italian metal magazine and was in the old Circle Of The Bards fan club.
Through him we got to knew a lot of BG and that Imaginations sold 350000 copies before NIME was released, and that they were big in Germany, he told us that there were even big ads on the fastway for Imaginations release.
Then after IFTOS their sales went down from what I know, I've lost contact with this dude before ATITM and that's why they were released from Virgin.
I had a band, and at concerts we ALWAYS played a BG cover...Imaginations, Time What I Time, And The Story Ends, Lost In The Twilight Hall, Banish From Sanctuary.
Anyway, back to NIME, we went to their concert in Roma and again we met the guys, and I still remember Thomen as the most likeable, down to Earth guy, always with a smile, always happy to be with the fans, hugging people, being nice and so on...unlike the others.
That said...the 90s were different from the 2000s.
As the common perception they were more impacting the metal scene with progress back then than they were now, and for many people IFTOS was already a difficult album with too many changes of paces and mood.
But yeah, BG were respected by anyone, even death and black metallers.
And they were seen as amazing players, especially Thomen.
Back in the day Thomen was revered as one of the best metal drummers ever, especially after the death of Ingo, and Thomen seemed to carry Ingo's legacy on his shoulders.
That said to note that I insanely love BG and that most of my better teenage memories, the memory of my lost friend are deeply tied to BG.
Being "with them" for so long, I never saw them "evolving", yeah they do, but they leave pieces behind.
I don't know how many of you remember...but the change from Marschall in ANATO cover wasn't that big...the big problem was that the Guardian wasn't on the cover.
Fans here in Italy were so angry, but Internet wasn't yet a wide thing, so the ruckus was silent.
The real difference is that before ANATO I perceived and read from interviews, dunno how many I read from them and those were always hyper interesting, a solid band, tight, connected, excited.
That's a feeling I don't have anymore after Thomen left/was kicked/whatever.
It's like the sit and rest and they don't have that "hunger" anymore, not the hunger for fame, but the hunger to be perfect.
I just saw BG giving 100% of their writing skills and capacities until ANATO, then they started working at reduced capacity, getting stubborn on little details but sometimes missing the whole picture.
Like getting 3 choirs but not caring enough that the drums and bass should have more space and volume and the guitars should bite more.
Progressing is not denying what you do better, it's just building on top of that.
I'm not searching the old BG sound, but the old BG attitude.
Many can say that people grow up/old, gets more mature...but here I see loads of you know Queen.
Queen is a band that has many similarities to BG, soooo many, still all of them worked for the band's best interest even with personal arguments going on and stuff, because any of the 4 made the alchemy.
No one remembers John Deacon as an outstanding bass player or Roger Taylor as a drum virtuoso, but together they made an alchemy.
What I say is that Hansi and André working alone won't ever get those alchemy back, that alchemy were everything is perfect, things will always be good because they have the skills, but they'll keep offering 80% of what the band could achieve.
Some things that Hansi says, although lovely and genuine...are actually a bit dick.
Not seing the band as "work" is disrepectful towards the band itself.
Your music is what gives the meal everyday to your family, it IS indeed work, it's the work you were fit for, it's a work that is less harder than being a carpenteer, but it's still work, and every work must be respected and honoured at best.
It's a work...the "we make music first for ourselves" is, trust me, the biggest bullshit you will ever listen, from whoever's mouth, from black metallers to the most indie-sperimental underground band.
If you make music for yourself you don't even take the hassle to record it.
Obviously many will say "you don't get it, he wanted to say that he likes it so it doesn't feel like work", and obviously I get this, but someway it conflicts with taking 4 years for an album and having half of your bandmates/friends out of a thing you like.
Arguments and conflicts to make a song don't necessarily make songwriting longer and dividing the weight on more shoulders makes everything lighter.
So yeah...I say that they naively got out of touch with reality, which isn't a bad things per se in this world, and I'm someway happy for them that they reached this "Nirvana", they're nice guys...but "Hey we got a wine, but not a video for the new album" is something that makes me very critical to their approach in the things concerning the band.
I wish them bigger and bigger success but they work on auto pilot lately.

Traveller in Time

#1582 Post by Traveller in Time » 15 Feb 2015 02:37

OmegaSlayer wrote:Thanks Traveller for the translation.

As for seeing things dark and gloom.
I had been following BG from 1992 when I was 14, discovering them with Banish From Sanctuary on a friend's tape and rented SFB and the other albums from a big store in Roma that rented CDs and had everything that was released worldwide.
For those wondering how early I started to listen to Metal...I got Iron Maiden's Powerslave for my 8th bday, I wanted it for the cover, but loved the music sooooo much.
In fact BG albums couldn't be found anywhere in Italy until Imaginations was released.
I remember it was April/May when it was released as I was still 16 (my bday is in June).
Together with my friends we managed to find and purchase Battalions and Follow CD just after Imaginations.
I remember we literally spent afternoons together just listening to BG and playing Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger and Secret Of Mana.
We also had our RPG session with BG as soundtrack.
We could find Tales and Somewhere just some days before their first concert in Roma, which was December 12th 1995 at Circolo degli Artisti, which was in a very dangerous area of the City, and it was a real fight to get my parents' permission to go.
My first concert, the one of my favourite band.
With my friends and bandmates, all at the first metal concert, we waited 2 years for that day.
We all went dressed as the Guardian and were in the front line.
We were like 300 people coming from half of Italy, but the venue was soooo small that it was impossible to move.
I remember Marcus being fat in his very tight jeans and Star Wars t-shirt and Hansi playing his bass only when he remembered he had to LOL
Then after the concert we met the band.
I still remember Hansi and Thomen in their bathrobe in cold December stopping by to shake hands with the fans.
I remember Thomen asking me a cigarette and smoking together and he offered me a beer.
Then my best friend, (who has disappeared into thin air, not dead, just...vanished in October 5th 2008) met at University a dude that worked for an Italian metal magazine and was in the old Circle Of The Bards fan club.
Through him we got to knew a lot of BG and that Imaginations sold 350000 copies before NIME was released, and that they were big in Germany, he told us that there were even big ads on the fastway for Imaginations release.
Then after IFTOS their sales went down from what I know, I've lost contact with this dude before ATITM and that's why they were released from Virgin.
I had a band, and at concerts we ALWAYS played a BG cover...Imaginations, Time What I Time, And The Story Ends, Lost In The Twilight Hall, Banish From Sanctuary.
Anyway, back to NIME, we went to their concert in Roma and again we met the guys, and I still remember Thomen as the most likeable, down to Earth guy, always with a smile, always happy to be with the fans, hugging people, being nice and so on...unlike the others.
That said...the 90s were different from the 2000s.
As the common perception they were more impacting the metal scene with progress back then than they were now, and for many people IFTOS was already a difficult album with too many changes of paces and mood.
But yeah, BG were respected by anyone, even death and black metallers.
And they were seen as amazing players, especially Thomen.
Back in the day Thomen was revered as one of the best metal drummers ever, especially after the death of Ingo, and Thomen seemed to carry Ingo's legacy on his shoulders.
That said to note that I insanely love BG and that most of my better teenage memories, the memory of my lost friend are deeply tied to BG.
Being "with them" for so long, I never saw them "evolving", yeah they do, but they leave pieces behind.
I don't know how many of you remember...but the change from Marschall in ANATO cover wasn't that big...the big problem was that the Guardian wasn't on the cover.
Fans here in Italy were so angry, but Internet wasn't yet a wide thing, so the ruckus was silent.
The real difference is that before ANATO I perceived and read from interviews, dunno how many I read from them and those were always hyper interesting, a solid band, tight, connected, excited.
That's a feeling I don't have anymore after Thomen left/was kicked/whatever.
It's like the sit and rest and they don't have that "hunger" anymore, not the hunger for fame, but the hunger to be perfect.
I just saw BG giving 100% of their writing skills and capacities until ANATO, then they started working at reduced capacity, getting stubborn on little details but sometimes missing the whole picture.
Like getting 3 choirs but not caring enough that the drums and bass should have more space and volume and the guitars should bite more.
Progressing is not denying what you do better, it's just building on top of that.
I'm not searching the old BG sound, but the old BG attitude.
Many can say that people grow up/old, gets more mature...but here I see loads of you know Queen.
Queen is a band that has many similarities to BG, soooo many, still all of them worked for the band's best interest even with personal arguments going on and stuff, because any of the 4 made the alchemy.
No one remembers John Deacon as an outstanding bass player or Roger Taylor as a drum virtuoso, but together they made an alchemy.
What I say is that Hansi and André working alone won't ever get those alchemy back, that alchemy were everything is perfect, things will always be good because they have the skills, but they'll keep offering 80% of what the band could achieve.
Some things that Hansi says, although lovely and genuine...are actually a bit dick.
Not seing the band as "work" is disrepectful towards the band itself.
Your music is what gives the meal everyday to your family, it IS indeed work, it's the work you were fit for, it's a work that is less harder than being a carpenteer, but it's still work, and every work must be respected and honoured at best.
It's a work...the "we make music first for ourselves" is, trust me, the biggest bullshit you will ever listen, from whoever's mouth, from black metallers to the most indie-sperimental underground band.
If you make music for yourself you don't even take the hassle to record it.
Obviously many will say "you don't get it, he wanted to say that he likes it so it doesn't feel like work", and obviously I get this, but someway it conflicts with taking 4 years for an album and having half of your bandmates/friends out of a thing you like.
Arguments and conflicts to make a song don't necessarily make songwriting longer and dividing the weight on more shoulders makes everything lighter.
So yeah...I say that they naively got out of touch with reality, which isn't a bad things per se in this world, and I'm someway happy for them that they reached this "Nirvana", they're nice guys...but "Hey we got a wine, but not a video for the new album" is something that makes me very critical to their approach in the things concerning the band.
I wish them bigger and bigger success but they work on auto pilot lately.
wow thanks for your honesty and this private story. It seems we have some common links there (i got known to BG music at same age) i think now i know why you write those things.
I'll try to answer you, but maybe not in here, because that response needs some private response as well (and this forum is free to be read by anyone) and maybe it helps to stay on topic ;)

For first notes:
I never heard of big ads on freeways nor from BG nor any other metal band. Powerwolf had one big ad in their hometown saarbrücken for their last album, but in times of IFTOS 1995 metal was more unpopular than nowadays. So i really can't imagine that there were such ads. I only know that the german music sender viva was making a promotion special for them (Metalla with Markus Kavka, which resulted in the short movie "Drei Schüsse im Leberknödel")
The mass media was in touch with metal, when Edguy played at a chart show of the Channel Pro Sieben, when ATITM was released, fly was used for some promo trailers for the movie "driven" and used as background music in some report about running shoes), so you see much later! The only printed ads were posters of upcoming shows or for albums (mostly hung at record shops)

BG left Virgin, because Virgin music was restructuring their company demanded my their mother EMI. So there were many changes in human ressources and to reduce cost they made politics that smaller bands were leaving the label, especially from not so popular genres like metal. They did focus on pop music.
BG saw that there was no longer a perspective for them and wanted to change to a label where the focus is on them, maybe they were a bit worried about some quality issues (for example the second DVD from ITTLG had technical errors) too.

Hansi once said this:
Q:You have also parted with your old record company Virgin Records now. Why did you part with them?
Hansi: It was obvious that they had left their priority in the EMI family and EMI wanted more and more money. As it is a very big company we lost priority as well. We asked if there was any chance to terminate the contract even though they had like two albums left and as we were not willing to work with them anymore they were not interested in keeping us.

blind-man

#1583 Post by blind-man » 16 Feb 2015 11:46

OmegaSlayer wrote:International charts positions

I really wish you would stop spreading your bullshit all over this forum with your endless rants. We get it, you don't like the new album. But BG has been more successful than ever, and the new record has been almost universally praised. It's been this way with every new album they release, so I think it's pretty safe to say that they haven't lost "contact with their fanbase", and that they most definitely don't need to "get their feet back on the ground". So stop trying to use your personal opinion on their music as evidence that they are a declining band, or that they've lost that imaginary alchemy you have in your head just because Thomen left the band.
Orodaran wrote:I don't need to look metal in my looks because I am metal in my heart 8)

sciacallo010

#1584 Post by sciacallo010 » 16 Feb 2015 14:33

drummer88 wrote:
Well, at least in the biggest german metal forum (rock hard forum) that wasn't the case at all. Everybody was really eager to hear the new Album and especially now two weeks after the release the opinions couldn't be better. Most of the People Claim it to be a Milestone or the best Album since NIME. That wasn't the case with ATEOT.
Same for the biggest italian forum (TrueMetal) where most of the people are very satisfied and many consider it the best album since NIME.

OmegaSlayer wrote: Though I ask myself...how did Nuclear Blast promoted the album?
It's normal that labels start releasing music videos with a slight advance, they do it constantly.
BG in late November (said in a youtube interview) didn't even know which song to pick yet.
Sincerely I think that they were thinking too much to the 13th guitar overdub than how to promote their work.
It's insane that after 4 years you don't have a full fletched release plan for your album.
So first you ask what NB did to promote the album, then you complain about Blind Guardian for the promotion...a bit contradictory, don't you think?
The "pre-promotion" is something that is done by the label and I think they did a quite good job; there's always room for improvement, but i remember seeing a lot of ads on youtube videos, on magazines, they released a lyric video, lots of studio videos, a teaser...I mean, that ain't nothin, you know?
As for the "post-promotion", here's where the band has a part, I think they did a really good job, I remember seeing at least 5-6 different interviews only in Italy and I guess they haven't been there for a week; overall I have memory of none less than 20-25 interviews all did in no more than 1-2 weeks.

I also heard that the overall sales for the new album in the first week are 24.000 which is the same number they did with ATEOT, but considering the crisis in the music bizz, selling as much as 5 years before is a pretty good achievement

trayxdor

#1585 Post by trayxdor » 16 Feb 2015 23:02

I like BTRM very much... but I think it can't compare with ANATO, which for me is their outstanding album with unbelievable creativeness and perfect songwriting. Holy Grail and prophecies are very nice songs, but I think there are no songs that can compete with And then there was silence, Under the ice and more. But I like the album, it's better than I expected...

OmegaSlayer

#1586 Post by OmegaSlayer » 17 Feb 2015 09:00

blind-man wrote:
I really wish you would stop spreading your bullshit all over this forum with your endless rants. We get it, you don't like the new album. But BG has been more successful than ever, and the new record has been almost universally praised. It's been this way with every new album they release, so I think it's pretty safe to say that they haven't lost "contact with their fanbase", and that they most definitely don't need to "get their feet back on the ground". So stop trying to use your personal opinion on their music as evidence that they are a declining band, or that they've lost that imaginary alchemy you have in your head just because Thomen left the band.
Blind-man, such a fitting name.
You read only what you like to spin things.
Or maybe you simply don't understand.
Bravo.
This is your third personal attack against me.
Get an enema of chamomille dude.
If you're not willing to read other people opinions, or expect to read only what you like, don't go to forums.
It's been this way with every new album they release
Really?
Like A Twist In The Myth? Right?
(Which is a record I love)
sciacallo010 wrote: Same for the biggest italian forum (TrueMetal) where most of the people are very satisfied and many consider it the best album since NIME.
In that forum the users, that knows you better than I do, suspect you purchased all the 24000 copies you mention :roll:

sciacallo010

#1587 Post by sciacallo010 » 17 Feb 2015 12:19

OmegaSlayer wrote:
sciacallo010 wrote: Same for the biggest italian forum (TrueMetal) where most of the people are very satisfied and many consider it the best album since NIME.
In that forum the users, that knows you better than I do, suspect you purchased all the 24000 copies you mention :roll:
You got a point, this is a really convincing argument :roll:

So, let's see what we got here: in the two months you've been on this forum you complained about the Blind Guardian's inspiration, about their choice of sounds for the new album, about their "contact with their fanbase", about the fact they "don't let Marcus and Frederik write songs", about "Fredrik's personality", about how they promoted the album and probably about many other things I can't recall now.

Let's analyze those things:
- Blind Guardian's inspiration: what can I say here? I think this could be considered, to some extent, subjective; I find their inspiration is still high, they're still doing great albums, if you totally dislike their newest efforts maybe to you they're not much inspired anymore, we take that.
- Choice of sounds for the new album: here again is subjective, but it has to be said that for such a complex situation, where an awful lot of instruments play together some choices are forced, you can't pretend an album with voice, guitar, another guitar, bass, drums, keyboard, orchestra (usually formed by 40 up to 100 instruments) and choir to sound like an album where just two guitars, vocals, bass and drums are playing.
- Contact with fanbase: ...apart from the countless posts they wrote over the lasts months on facebook, twitter, the many fan's posts they retweeted (probably the most of the times on the socials it ain't them, but to the fans it looks like they are), the AMA on Reddit, the "play World of Warcraft with Blind Guardian" contest, the huge amount of interviews they gave, the videos from the studio, yeah, they didn't do much :roll:
- They don't let Marcus and Fredrik write songs: first of all: are you more concerned about the final results as of overall album quality or about the band's members feelings? Because on this point it seemed more like you were saying "poor guys, the evil Hansi and André are letting them down not allowing them to write anything"...by the way as everyone said in every interview anyone is free to come out with new ideas, then they, all together, evaluate them.
It's quite clear that Marcus and Fredrik don't write many songs (maybe because they are not very prolific songwriters (Dave Murray for example is an amazing guitarist but wrote very few Iron Maiden songs) or because they write better songs in a style that is not quite fitted to Blind Guardian, who knows), but when they have good ideas they use them (The Holy Grail and Doom).
You know a McCartney and a Lennon used to write the most of the songs for their band, I can't recall many people complaining about that.
As for their personal satisfaction they have Sinbreed where they can free their creativity.
- Fredrik's personality: honestly here I don't really get what you're talking about.
If you wrote "creativity" in place of "personality" we could have a talk about that, but here I don't understand what you mean.
- The album's promotion: I already answered yesterday, the promotion is a matter of the label: if you haven't seen ads on the underground's walls (but here let me laugh a bit, it's nonsense to believe this could ever happen) it's a label's fault, not Blind Guardian's.

Now, when you come to the official Blind Guardian's forum you can't pretend to endlessly complain about everything and everyone for months and hearing no one annoyed.
I'm not saying that on this forum you can only say good things about anything BG do, but when you've said you don't like something, you've discussed about it that's it, there's no point in keeping repeating it every other day; it seems like your heroes let you down so you want to bash them in every possible way and, you know, after two months it became quite annoying.

You know keeping repeating that you've known them since 1993, you went to their first italian gig and such stuff doesn't make you safe to say everything that crosses your mind, no matter how sense it makes.

PS: and I just talked about your criticisms on the band, we could also comment on when you implied that anyone who doesn't agree with you is a stupid fanboy who is not open to any kind of criticism.
And tried to step back with a "First of all, I apologize to those who feel offended about my "fanboy" criticism.
The point is that, being this the official forum, there is indeed someone who is not open to criticism."" which to me seems pretty much like a "I say I'm sorry because they took it bad, but as this is the official band's forum it's obviously filled with close-minded fanboys".
Not very polite, at least.

OmegaSlayer

#1588 Post by OmegaSlayer » 17 Feb 2015 14:10

I see you got a good sense of humor :lol:
I posted that because the thread you mentioned is not all roses and flowers as you make it look.
Why didn't you mentioned all the complaints about the album that are there?
If people joked about that, it means something ;)

I never say my opinion is absolute, it's just my friggin' opinion, still most of you obnoxiously attempt to take only the bad I have to say.
In that, my expectations from the band are always sky high.
Most of you are happy with what they do (I'm too to a SOLID degree), still my expectations are higher than most of you.
I don't expect a donkey to behave like a horse, but if a pure blood stallion toddles, it raises some questions.

Inspiration.
I never said they lack inspiration or creativity, so don't know where you got that or where I said I don't like the album.

Choice of sound.
It is indeed subjective.
Yes, but blaming the amount of tracks is a serpent biting its tail.
First, because there have been multiple albums in the past which have sounded better, second because there comes a point where a band should weigth the balance of elements.
I explained that in my opinion BG is not good at balancing things, because they stuffed ANATO with stuff to remove it in a second mixing, so they get excited too much and lose track of things, which is nice because excitement is a wonderful thing, but when you keep it focused.

Contact with fanbase is costant in my opinion, not only when you have a product to sell.
But again I'm a prick to think like this.

About Frederik and Marcus and Sinbreed.
André doesn't feel the need to work on other bands because he fulfills his creativity in BG, Marcus and Frederik resort to Sinbreed, which is not a death/black/folk/doom metal band...it's in the same genre of BG.
Makes me raise questions.

Frederik personality/creativity...those are 2 things that go hand in hand in an artist.

Promotion, yeah, it's up to the label...but I would really have headaches to deal with BG and their odd times.

I prefer to be blunt and honest than polite and false.

blind-man

#1589 Post by blind-man » 17 Feb 2015 21:03

OmegaSlayer wrote:This is your third personal attack against me.
What are you talking about? My previous post was the first time I addressed you on this forum, and it contained no personal attacks.
OmegaSlayer wrote:Really?
Like A Twist In The Myth? Right?
(Which is a record I love)
Yes, A Twist in the Myth was very well received. The only people who complained about it were those who have been complaining since 2002's A Night at the Opera, who do not understand that Blind Guardian is an ever changing and evolving band, and expect them to re-release Imaginations From the Other Side over and over again.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's perfectly OK not to like the direction the band has been taking recently. But you shouldn't come to the band's official forum, complain about every single thing, from the song writing to the promotion by the record company, and worst of all, make up a bunch of absurd theories about the inner workings of the songwriting process and the personal relationships between the band members, which is something you obviously know nothing about, and then expect the rest of us not to be annoyed.

So the point that I'm trying to get across is, if you don't like modern Blind Guardian, stop whining, go listen to their old records, and stop trying to pass your personal opinions about the band as facts.
Orodaran wrote:I don't need to look metal in my looks because I am metal in my heart 8)

OmegaSlayer

#1590 Post by OmegaSlayer » 18 Feb 2015 08:54

Oh, sorry, might have mistaken you for another user.
I apologize.

I see your point about ATITM, but it's not different from what I say.
The album received criticism, in a way or another and it's not universally praised, which is a shame.
For me it's an album that hasn't hits like Mirror Mirror but is incredibly solid and the songs have really good quality even without any major peaks.
And again, we talk about average Joe the metalhead or average Jurgen the BG fan? :lol:
And again "who is the BG fan?"
Because I see one funny thing that is some kind of "fight" about who's the true BG fan.
Some say true fans are those from the first hours, some say they are the ones that accepted the band after ANATO.
I really do think it's silly.
It's like evolutionists against orthodox.

I do like BG, I do like the "new direction" (which is not a new direction in my opinion, it's just them adding and stacking elements to what they always did, as there are only 2 songs out of 12 in BTRM that don't use the old BG song structures and they are The Ninth Wave and At The Edge Of Time), I like ANATO, ATITM, ATEOT and BTRM so I don't get the fuss you guys make it with "if you don't like it don't listen".
I only point out that BTRM could have been better with some wiser choices, like a less muddy production.
And sincerely I find amusing that it seems blasphemy to point it out here.
Is the production good? Yes
Do I expect BG to be happy with just good? No

That's my main complaint, BG being ok with the "just good" and not aim for the "perfection"
Is it blasphemy? Is it not loving BG?
Probably I'm just spoiled by BG.

Gandalf de Grijze

#1591 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 18 Feb 2015 10:05

OmegaSlayer wrote:I prefer to be blunt and honest than polite and false.
Just a suggestion: how about mixing things up a little and trying to be polite and honest?
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Orodaran

#1592 Post by Orodaran » 18 Feb 2015 21:49

Yeah, I agree with the general "chill out bros, it's just rock n' roll" thing, mainly :P (Rock n' roll... or power metal... or power symphonic metal... or power Blind Guardianized heavy symphonic multilayered hobbit bard metal... you chose)

As for me and the album, well.... after some listenings, dunno, I'm still not completely sold on this album. Surely every listening bring something new here and there, and I'm slowly warming up to it, but I'm far from being in the "OMFG this is awesome" camp, and I don't know if I ever will.

The "BG vibe" with its trademarks is there, the musicianship too as well, and of course we have still Hansi's unique voice, but I feel that it's the song themselves that are not there... or not really. I mean, they're not bad songs, but for example in The Ninth Wave the part that gives me most goosebumps is the intro, and in Gran Parade all I remember so far is the chorus and the part at the beginning, "Losing their minds, losing their souls". This could be said for many songs, I just remember bits and pieces here and there, and I can't see myself ever learning from memory Ninth Wave or Grand Parade, while after all this time I could sing along to And then there was Silence word for word (but maybe it's not fair to compare a 12 years old song with new music I've heard probably less than 10 times).

I feel intrigued by the album, I'm listening to it almost daily and I'm about to listen to it now, but I'm not sure that, after all the "learning experience" of such a complex record, I will completely fall in love with it. BG always had amazing choruses, but I'm not totally caught by the new ones. The songs are nothing alike, but I daresay that At the Edge of Time and Beyond the Red Mirror both start with "Epic song / Fast song / Slower song", and - again, not fair to compare 5 years old songs with new ones - my humble opinion is that Sacred is way better than The Ninth Wave, Tanelorn is way better than Twilight of the Gods, and Road of No Release is better than Prophecy, which for the record I like and it's one of my favorites... but the old choruses trump all over the new ones.

I like things here and there, I'm slowly appreciating The Throne and The Holy Grail is awesome (but again, Ride into Obsession is more concise and ferocious), but my general impression is that maybe BG got away with this album a bit too much, making it complex for the sake of showing that they could do it. Also the concept itself is very hard to figure out, and dividing the album in chapters with a chapter almost for a single song and never for more than two songs... it's like they put too much icing on the cake, while the cake is not the best they've ever served.

I almost envy those who are in ecstatic admiration of this album, 'cause I want to like it as well, and again, I'm not saying I don't like it (nor I will spend 30 pages trying to reiterate over and over again that I don't :P ), but I'm afraid I will not go past the "Ok, good it's good, but they tried too hard and got carried away" feeling.

Anyway... time to have another listening right now 8)
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

OmegaSlayer

#1593 Post by OmegaSlayer » 18 Feb 2015 22:35

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:
OmegaSlayer wrote:I prefer to be blunt and honest than polite and false.
Just a suggestion: how about mixing things up a little and trying to be polite and honest?
You're indeed right...just it's impossible for a square to become round, I can be an oval with edges at best.
Sorry guys. :oops:

I think I liked the album much more than Orodaran did, still I'm not able to be calm and polite as he is.

What I feel to suggest to Oro is...don't enjoy the album as an album, but as an "experience", possibly with the book in your hands.
As an album made of songs, it might fall short...when I listen to "The Throne" I keep telling myself "WOW" this is one of the best 5 songs BG ever wrote...then I fail to remember it easily.
But as an experience, the album is huge.

Orodaran

#1594 Post by Orodaran » 18 Feb 2015 22:48

Well, it's not that I don't like it, I'm into it, it's just that I'm not on the "Everything is awesome" bandwagon just yet, fearing I never will. I'm at Sacred Mind right now, and there were many moments during the listening that made me go "Well, ok, this part I actually like a lot" :P (Like for example the "Recall the eclipse, there is none who survived" stanza in At the Edge of Time, or the "I won't lie, whille bright eyes" bit of Ashes of Eternity). It's just that there's too much I like and too little I *love*.... for now, at least!
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Dragonfly

#1595 Post by Dragonfly » 18 Feb 2015 23:11

Orodaran wrote:Well, it's not that I don't like it, I'm into it, it's just that I'm not on the "Everything is awesome" bandwagon just yet, fearing I never will. I'm at Sacred Mind right now, and there were many moments during the listening that made me go "Well, ok, this part I actually like a lot" :P (Like for example the "Recall the eclipse, there is none who survived" stanza in At the Edge of Time, or the "I won't lie, whille bright eyes" bit of Ashes of Eternity). It's just that there's too much I like and too little I *love*.... for now, at least!
I can suggest taking a break, a day or two without listening. There were 3 days, I think, between my 4th and 5th listens, and today I gave it another spin. And I liked it WAY more than all the previous four listenings combined, each song almost gave me goosebumps (well, except for 'Sacred Mind' maybe, which happens to be the weakest track for me so far). So five listens - and I am blown away. :D What a great feeling!

Ryu

#1596 Post by Ryu » 19 Feb 2015 07:01

Slightly more on topic; anyone had a chance to listen to the alternate versions of Grand Parade and Miracle Machine? I finally had a chance, though I've listened to Miracle Machine so infrequently I can't really put my finger on the differences?

Grand Parade is notably different, almost entirely new lyrics and a little "stripped" feeling in production? Like there's some symphonic elements there but it feels like not *all* of them are, maybe someone a little more versed in production quality jargon can help me phrase this better. As soon as the track starts you can pinpoint a difference in the "finish" of the track so to speak. It has the feel of a demo but nowhere near as unfinished as their other demos.

I'm not at all qualified to dissect audio quality and production value though.
Defiant of destiny

Led Guardian

#1597 Post by Led Guardian » 20 Feb 2015 01:06

Ryu wrote:Slightly more on topic; anyone had a chance to listen to the alternate versions of Grand Parade and Miracle Machine? I finally had a chance, though I've listened to Miracle Machine so infrequently I can't really put my finger on the differences?

Grand Parade is notably different, almost entirely new lyrics and a little "stripped" feeling in production? Like there's some symphonic elements there but it feels like not *all* of them are, maybe someone a little more versed in production quality jargon can help me phrase this better. As soon as the track starts you can pinpoint a difference in the "finish" of the track so to speak. It has the feel of a demo but nowhere near as unfinished as their other demos.

I'm not at all qualified to dissect audio quality and production value though.
I didn't even know there were alternate versions.

Warmoth

#1598 Post by Warmoth » 20 Feb 2015 01:10

I made a thread about it actually

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44687

Seems a lot of people own it, but have no means of playing it! lol

Zhuge Liang

#1599 Post by Zhuge Liang » 20 Feb 2015 09:08

Well, I'm guessing those versions are only available on the 10" vinyl from the Earbook, which means you'd need a record player capable of ripping the songs to a CD. I have one, but didn't buy that version of the album. Quality would probably be bad anyway. It's too bad they didn't do what they did with the last album, give you a code for digital goodies.
"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." -Zhuge Liang

warchanter

#1600 Post by warchanter » 20 Feb 2015 12:40

Warmoth wrote:I made a thread about it actually

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44687

Seems a lot of people own it, but have no means of playing it! lol
Exactly! I couldn't resist buying the deluxe earbook counting on my oooold vinyl player to do its job.
It took me some time to retrieve it from my parent's garage. Guess what? Cassette player and radio still worked beatifully. The vinyl player, on the other hand... arghhhh.
Thanks to warmoth I've been able to listen to the alternate version and mix, so:

- Grand Parade: the main difference are the lyrics. Almost completely different. Soundwise it seems the same, but I can't say for sure. Feels like a refined demo.
- Miracle Machine: slightly different mix, Hansi's voice seems louder than in the album version but that's it.