Blind Guardian's 10th Album, "Beyond the Red Mirror"

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
bard_92

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

#1501 Post by bard_92 » 04 Feb 2015 21:23

OmegaSlayer wrote:
DREAMASTER wrote:
OmegaSlayer wrote:I just convinced a 62 years old friend to purchase "Beyond The Red Mirror"

Btw, I got my earbook, which is awesome, but I think that the idea of the insert is really really really cheap for a thing I payed more than € 35.00
Honestly I had to go check Gandalf pics once again because I thought my copy was defective, because I couldn't believe it.

What happened?
I have this very friendly customer at my store that is into 60-70s prog, rock and so on, we often talk about music when we go to get a coffee together.
And he's a vinyl collector with those huge very pricey stereo systems.
He told me some times ago he received his limited edition copy of Pink Floyd's latest album and I told him I had pre-ordered the record of my favourite band, not even mentioning the name or what they play.
When the package with the CDs arrived he was there and saw me unpacking the Earbook and he got overly excited about it, then I played some music and he was: "OOOOOOOOOH I like it! I'll buy it! Write me the name of the band and record" and so I did.
This morning he told me he ordered the 2LP version on Amazon and he was very happy about it ^___^

Great!!! I'm happy to hear news like this!!! :D

OmegaSlayer

Re: Blind Guardian's 10th Album, "Beyond the Red Mirror"

#1502 Post by OmegaSlayer » 04 Feb 2015 22:20

By the way I had him listening to "The Throne", the intro of "The Ninth Wave" and "The Holy Grail"

There are also a couple of guys that I got interested in BG in the guitar forum where I go.
And...I must give a try with another customer who listens early Metallica, loves Iron Maiden and Italian 70s prog rock.
Though this guy is always in a rush, so when I mentioned him to listen to BG I doubt he checked them on youtube or spotify or wherever.
I think I might have to cook and prepare something for him :)

So yeah...I'm seen here as the guy that doesn't love BG, but who knows why I keep trying to build them a larger fanbase. :mrgreen:
3 with the latest album already not mentioning all those people I BG-ified in 20 years.

Honestly I think that if you can manage the speed, it's not hard to get into BG.
Even my mother likes their songs.
Turns out BG are a band for grannys lol

Led Guardian

#1503 Post by Led Guardian » 05 Feb 2015 03:26

I really wish someone would upload Doom to youtube so I can hear it. I'm really curious, but $20 extra or whatever for one song and big pictures is absurd. BG may be one of my all-time favorite bands, and they've yet to let me down, but I'm still a discerning consumer. Not on iTunes, not on Spotify. They're not even including it in their official stream, which is killing me. Oh well, all songs make their way to youtube eventually to be listened to, and possibly mashed up with anime and movies in terrible AMVs. They're hitting hard with the DMCA claims right now, though.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

starschwar

#1504 Post by starschwar » 05 Feb 2015 06:40

Got my earbook today, listened through everything... three times, I think? Time stands still, so to speak. Absolutely adored the album. It's already skyrocketed to my second favorite BG album, just barely behind Nightfall. Sonically, it's an incredibly satisfying listen. Even with the voluminous liner notes and the like, I'm still not 100% certain about the story. More becomes clear with each listen, but I would very much like to hear your opinions on what you think the tale being told is. SPOILERS follow.

Also, how amazing is it that their work is complex enough to have plot spoilers?

Code: Select all

Arthur, the character from Bright Eyes, and And the Story Ends - and possibly other songs on Imaginations?  Refused to enter the mirror twenty years ago.  This has caused a cataclysm.  On our side of the mirror, scientists have discovered magic, and, though its power (including time travel), history has been altered, and society has lost music, united under a bizarre coagulation of all religions, both modern and ancient.  Only our protagonist seems to be aware of the temporal displacement, and even then, only partially.  He goes from referring to standard units of time from "Days" to "Quantum Times" without making note of this.

His absence in Discorda, the other world, has allowed Mordred, the Fallen Son, to incite a rebellion against the Nine gods of that world.  However, there's some suggestion that Arthur may be counted among them, and that they themselves are not true gods, but powerful kings.  In which case, nine powerful kings... the Nazgul, perhaps?  Maybe I'm reaching there.  At any rate, Mordred seals the Nine away and shuts Discordia off from our realm.  The only viable passage that remains is the Red Mirror.

The Crow, a mysterious manipulator, appears to Arthur in his mirror. Whether he was the one Arthur spoke to long ago, or if it was Mordred, or someone else entirely, I can't pinpoint.  Regardless, the Crow convinces Arthur of his destiny: he is to find the Red Mirror, and free the old gods, saving Discordia from Mordred's tyranny.  Hopping through dimensions, Arthur must also seek out the Holy Grail, which was hidden long ago... by whom?  Not sure about that much.  At some point, Arthur is mortally wounded.  Betrayed by his animal companions (Toad, Fox, Hare, Crow, or some combination thereof?), I think.  At death's door, Arthur is still adamant that there will be divine intervention, and Mordred will be defeated.

In the first bonus track, the Crow converses with... someone.  The mirror itself?  One of the powerful entities mentioned throughout (Time, Void, Fire, etc?).  It is here that it is revealed that Arthur is being manipulated.  The bit about people fading away due to being trapped in his mind is interesting to me.  Is it possible that his imagination is the key to magic itself?  It's a little abstract for me, can't quite wrap my head around it.

Thoughts on the second disc to follow.

starschwar

#1505 Post by starschwar » 05 Feb 2015 08:04

Arthur encounters Time herself, who presents him with the Grail and resurrects him.  Rallying around this miraculous event, the people of Discordia are galvanized against the tyrannical Mordred.  Mordred tempts Arthur to put his quest aside, cautioning him that he will never reach paradise if he follows his actions through to completion.  Complicating matters, he discovers that Storm, the Crow, had lied to him about critical details of his quest.  Facing the possibility of failure, Arthur puts his faith in the Grail, and takes it with him through the Red Mirror.  The Nine are freed, but their power is stripped from them, and are made human.  Fire, the being that made the mirror red is set free (or returned from our realm, perhaps? An inverse Promethus sort of situation?).  The denizens of Discordia celebrate, for they are now free, not only from Mordred's reign, but the domination of the Nine.  Their destiny is their own... but the lyrics tell us that nothing has/will change.  Perhaps it is the nature of mortal man to destroy eachother, even without the pretext of religious conflicts?  Or with Fire set loose, they are still doomed?  Or perhaps they will continue the cycle, with one faction praising Arthur's deeds, and the other lamenting the loss of Mordred - Arthur is explicitly compared to Judas at one point, after all.  Regardless, Arthur and Mordred are both condemned to Void.  Arthur's light grows more intense despite this cruel fate, while Mordred swears revenge....  is this but the middle chapter of a trilogy?  I hope so!

sciacallo010

#1506 Post by sciacallo010 » 05 Feb 2015 14:40

starschwar wrote:

is this but the middle chapter of a trilogy?  I hope so!
I wouldn't think so.
Hansi in an interview said he doesn't like to finish stories, so he left it open after IFTOS and did the same on Beyond the Red Mirror as well, with the bonus track "Doom" as a sort of continuation of the story and he said also that he think that sooner or later he may come back to it again.
I don't feel like he will end it in the future to make it a trilogy, I think if he'll ever write a following to it he'll leave it open

JazzJackrabbit

#1507 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 05 Feb 2015 18:26

FYI the Reddit AMA thread has been posted and they'll answer questions in about 2½ hours from now.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/ ... _of_blind/

priderock

#1508 Post by priderock » 05 Feb 2015 18:35

JazzJackrabbit wrote:FYI the Reddit AMA thread has been posted and they'll answer questions in about 2½ hours from now.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/ ... _of_blind/
I don't see how can I listen it? :/

ErHaO

#1509 Post by ErHaO » 05 Feb 2015 19:59

My questions:

Beyond the Red Mirror
-Can we expect some choir/orchestral tracks seeing a release in the future? Similar to the orchestral track of Wheel of Time? I would love to hear this (especially album trailer 5 was awesome!)
-Many people notice the reccurence of some musical themes from older songs on Beyond the Red Mirror. Was this intentional? Example: the really similar riff to Control the Divine in Prophecies (and it works great!).
-Same question but for the lyrics: Do some recurring elements/characters from previous songs have a meaning? (and with that I do not mean the songs from Imaginations that are tied directly to the concept) Or is it more of a preference to certain subjects? Lyrical example: the crow and the mirror in Straight Trough the Mirror of A Twist in the Myth. It almost seems connected in some way. Another example is the crow and the hare in Wait for an Answer.
-Are the (two?) Nightfall demo's present on the album and if so, which songs? If not, are you guys still considering to release them?

General BG
-Will the upcoming orchestral album have a concept as well? (I remember something in the lines of you guys working with a writer to do so?).
-When will we get a Dr. Who song?! ;)

Lets see if they answer one (or more) :)

priderock

#1510 Post by priderock » 05 Feb 2015 20:04

Nice questions, yes! :) But where's the link for listening it, I can't find anything on the link with the questions? :/

ErHaO

#1511 Post by ErHaO » 05 Feb 2015 20:13

I do not know how this works, don't they just type some stuff here and there?

Also, I wonder how many of these fans read/listen/watch some of the interviews. Some really generic questions present.

priderock

#1512 Post by priderock » 05 Feb 2015 20:17

ErHaO wrote:I do not know how this works, don't they just type some stuff here and there?

Also, I wonder how many of these fans read/listen/watch some of the interviews. Some really generic questions present.
Thanks a lot! Anyway, if you found "how it works", please post here!!!
Thanks in addition, man! :)

JazzJackrabbit

#1513 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 05 Feb 2015 20:17

priderock wrote:Nice questions, yes! :) But where's the link for listening it, I can't find anything on the link with the questions? :/
It's not for listening. It's a Reddit thread where people post questions and then you'll see the answers underneath the questions. Looks like they'll be using the username "blindguardianband."

jkl2000

#1514 Post by jkl2000 » 05 Feb 2015 20:23

Can anyone comment on the quality of the interior of the Earbook edition? The photos, notes, lyrics, etc?

Thanks!

priderock

#1515 Post by priderock » 05 Feb 2015 20:28

JazzJackrabbit wrote:
priderock wrote:Nice questions, yes! :) But where's the link for listening it, I can't find anything on the link with the questions? :/
It's not for listening. It's a Reddit thread where people post questions and then you'll see the answers underneath the questions. Looks like they'll be using the username "blindguardianband."
Ok!!! Thanks!!! :) :D :wink:

melkor

#1516 Post by melkor » 05 Feb 2015 20:46

I asked about the cover song in a second single for the cd. :D

Saludos

ErHaO

#1517 Post by ErHaO » 05 Feb 2015 23:36

Well, too bad they did not answer my questions. But they gave some very nice answers to a fair number of interesting questions (both personal and about the music). And in some cases I got an answer indirectly.

jkl2000

#1518 Post by jkl2000 » 05 Feb 2015 23:58

jkl2000 wrote:Can anyone comment on the quality of the interior of the Earbook edition? The photos, notes, lyrics, etc?

Thanks!
Answering my own question, I see there's a nice "unboxing" video on YouTube, where the guy flips through all the pages if the Earbook.

Dragonfly

#1519 Post by Dragonfly » 06 Feb 2015 00:41

My questions weren't answered either...
Still there were some interesting facts; I'm, for example, excited to see 'Valkyries' live, which is an option according to Hansi.
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

OmegaSlayer

#1520 Post by OmegaSlayer » 06 Feb 2015 08:42

Valkyries live is the most interesting thing in that AMA actually.
I'm disappointed at how some people manages to ask idiot questions...

nyobit

#1521 Post by nyobit » 06 Feb 2015 09:50

It looks like all questions with at least a little bit of originality were ignored (and in some cases downvoted by "fellow" fans), but they spent time on answering to things like "What is the experience like hearing 60,000 people sing in unison a song that you wrote?" and "What is it like having the voice of God?" or things that any old-school fan or someone who is willing to spend time to search the web already knows or will know in a short while (like questions about tour songs).

melkor

#1522 Post by melkor » 06 Feb 2015 09:56

nyobit wrote:It looks like all questions with at least a little bit of originality were ignored (and in some cases downvoted by "fellow" fans), but they spent time on answering to things like "What is the experience like hearing 60,000 people sing in unison a song that you wrote?" and "What is it like having the voice of God?" or things that any old-school fan or someone who is willing to spend time to search the web already knows or will know in a short while (like questions about tour songs).
No answer for the cover song on a second single :( .

ErHaO

#1523 Post by ErHaO » 06 Feb 2015 10:00

nyobit wrote:It looks like all questions with at least a little bit of originality were ignored (and in some cases downvoted by "fellow" fans), but they spent time on answering to things like "What is the experience like hearing 60,000 people sing in unison a song that you wrote?" and "What is it like having the voice of God?" or things that any old-school fan or someone who is willing to spend time to search the web already knows or will know in a short while (like questions about tour songs).
Not necessarily, they just kind of went from top to bottom and the most idiot reddit questions were unfortunately at a high position.

It kind of pisses me off though, many of those stock questions take literally one minute to google or do not tell the fans that care about the musical/conceptual details anything at all.

priderock

#1524 Post by priderock » 06 Feb 2015 12:05

I agree that at some point all became a piontless chat filled with meaningless things...
The only interesting for me was the progress of the orchestral project and the direction in it:
"Wheel of time meets At The Edge Of Time(the song)", but maybe we all knew that in some way! Anyway, I'm happy of hearing it! And indirectly they said that the concept will be by Marcus Heitz(so it seems that this is still in mind) ;)

ErHaO

#1525 Post by ErHaO » 06 Feb 2015 14:10

Well, Hansi saying 2017 for D&W's third album twice makes me think they are in fact in contact with the plans to do so in the coming years.

As for the direction of the orchestral project, that is no surprise. It does give me a good feeling that they made quite some material during Beyond the Red Mirror, so I expect no lack of creativity. I really believe we are getting that album in about two years (and maybe a second part and D&W 3 after that).

Also, I think Beyond the Red Mirror gave them more experience in making a concept album with all-new material (aside from the initial story of Imaginations). I am looking forward how they will fare with a writer and how the story (ear)book of that one will look.

Wizard's Crown

#1526 Post by Wizard's Crown » 06 Feb 2015 18:52

What do you think about the red version of the vinyl?

OmegaSlayer

#1527 Post by OmegaSlayer » 06 Feb 2015 20:25

People exceptionally loves to be buttkisser (the voice of a God...come on) and that's the people that annoys me more in life.
I think that every individual is exceptional, some, helped by how their life randomly spanned, are lucky to found their way and how to develope it at its best, some are less lucky.
I DO REALLY think that for example maybe a plumber out there could have had the skills to be the best drums player in the world but never had the chance to grab two drumstick and realize that drumming was his way.
Life is silly.
Thast's why I refuse to think that someone is more exceptional than others.
I think that some found a way and worked hard for it, so much composed respect, but no silly worship.

blindgfan

#1528 Post by blindgfan » 07 Feb 2015 06:46

What happened at 5:18 of At The Edge of Time? It's a terrible recording error!

priderock

#1529 Post by priderock » 07 Feb 2015 08:05

blindgfan wrote:What happened at 5:18 of At The Edge of Time? It's a terrible recording error!
Don't panic, man! :mrgreen: You really sure about it, calling it a mistake ? :wink: it's absolutely Ok for me!

blindgfan

#1530 Post by blindgfan » 07 Feb 2015 12:10

priderock wrote:
blindgfan wrote:What happened at 5:18 of At The Edge of Time? It's a terrible recording error!
Don't panic, man! :mrgreen: You really sure about it, calling it a mistake ? :wink: it's absolutely Ok for me!
I am not the only one reporting this, so I am definitely sure. Do you hear a line that says "And I shattered it all", according to official lyrics?

OmegaSlayer

#1531 Post by OmegaSlayer » 07 Feb 2015 12:24

I don't see what's the fuss about it. 8)

OmegaSlayer

#1532 Post by OmegaSlayer » 07 Feb 2015 20:40

Though...I wouldn't have liked to go back to this...but I'm currently listening the new Orden Ogan CD on my home theater...
If the regular metal instruments of BTRM would have sounded like this Orden Ogan's CD...WOW
The songs are not better than BTRM but the production pumps your blood so much you just want to sing with all you have in your lungs.

Infernal Lord

#1533 Post by Infernal Lord » 07 Feb 2015 21:04

OmegaSlayer wrote:Though...I wouldn't have liked to go back to this...but I'm currently listening the new Orden Ogan CD on my home theater...
If the regular metal instruments of BTRM would have sounded like this Orden Ogan's CD...WOW
The songs are not better than BTRM but the production pumps your blood so much you just want to sing with all you have in your lungs.
I don't really get the comments about poor production on the new album. The same was said about Metallica's 'Death Magnetic' and I never understood that either. I'm by no means any kind of expert on the matter but to me it sounds great...

As for the part in the above quote that I highlighted in bold, I feel that way about 'Prophecies' as it is! LOVE that song! 8)
The Nine sing
Once upon a dream ago
We're the ones you've left alone

OmegaSlayer

#1534 Post by OmegaSlayer » 07 Feb 2015 21:49

Actually we even use a wrong term, which is "production".
The correct one is "sound engineering", which already gives you a different scale of what the work is.
The work of the sound engineer is not only to find the sound that fits most BOTH the music and enhances the personal touch of a single player, it's also to be sure that the sound has dynamics (which is a thing I could write pages about it and still have barely touched the subject) and every instrument has its space.
It's an hell of a job indeed, and working with BG is a nightmare I think.
Sometimes the experience of a sound engineer that records in his life more albums than the band he's currently work for must have its weight, to tell, this will work and this won't work, and the band with humbleness should often accept those suggestions led by experience.

So, perhaps there's no wrong sound conceptually, but there are sounds that are not 100% fit with the band and their music.
BTRM doesn't sound BAD per se, but probably doesn't make the record shine as it could have.

Most people will say that BG wanted it like this, and it's a fair observation, though sometimes, external ears can help judge things better.

I don't blame Charlie, I don't blame BG...but the result didn't work as it could have.

Blackened

#1535 Post by Blackened » 07 Feb 2015 21:57

OmegaSlayer wrote:Though...I wouldn't have liked to go back to this...but I'm currently listening the new Orden Ogan CD on my home theater...
When I first listened to Twilight of the gods back in December I had some issues with the production. Now having the full album this problem has kind of disappeared. I really like the sound and would not change anything.

But I know what you mean: The new Orden Ogan sounds killer (as always)!
Looking forward to seeing them live next Friday!

Angus

#1536 Post by Angus » 08 Feb 2015 07:24

Hansi wrote:I strongly recommend a new game called World of Warcraft!!!
Can't tell if serious or not.

nyobit

#1537 Post by nyobit » 08 Feb 2015 12:26

Angus wrote:
If not, then he'd probably meant the latest add-on Warlords of Draenor.

Traveller in Time

#1538 Post by Traveller in Time » 08 Feb 2015 23:04

Angus wrote:
It was some kind of joke, because Hansi isn't a gamer at all. So he was making fun of Andre who is a big fan of WOW (in some other question Andre recommended WOW's newest Addon)
:D
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

priderock

#1539 Post by priderock » 10 Feb 2015 15:45

Hey, guys, would someone write what is Hansi saying about the orchestral project? It's in German... :x
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YLK0p9fQz ... e=youtu.be
Thanks in addition :)

JazzJackrabbit

#1540 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 10 Feb 2015 17:55

^Yeah, I saw that video. Would love for the whole thing to be translated. :P

Traveller in Time

#1541 Post by Traveller in Time » 10 Feb 2015 18:59

For the moment

The interesting stuff
- orchestra project: release 2016 or 2017, D&W (maybe) after that
- BGOA 2 then with orchestra, maybe on some other festivals, too but nothing exactly.
- Hansi will never play bass on a live show again (besides on a jam session, because he lacks of skills which are needed in todays BG music. He says IFTOS already suffered from this.
- BG drum recordings are not using any samples, which are mostly used in other productions

known facts:
- Hansi still likes to sing the Bard's song, although it is demanded on every show
- Marcus is sick of playing Valhalla

fun facts:
- Since 1,5 years Hansi wasn't defeated in table ice hockey

priderock

#1542 Post by priderock » 10 Feb 2015 19:07

Traveller in Time wrote:For the moment

The interesting stuff
- BGOA 2 then with orchestra, maybe on some other festivals, too but nothing exactly.
- Hansi will never play bass again (besides on a jam session or playing accoustic guitar at some promo session like they did at Japan in the past), because he lack of skills which are needed in todays BG music. He says IFTOS already suffered from this.
- BG drum recordings are not using any samples, which are mostly used in other productions

known facts:
- Hansi still likes to sing the Bard's song, although it is demanded on every show

fun facts:

Thanks a lot!!! :D But, did he said something about the songs in it ( the orchestral project ) ? Or it is still everything a secret ? :| This thing is killing me so slowly from a few years already...

blindgfan

#1543 Post by blindgfan » 10 Feb 2015 19:19

Traveller in Time wrote:For the moment

The interesting stuff
- Hansi will never play bass on a live show again (besides on a jam session, because he lacks of skills which are needed in todays BG music. He says IFTOS already suffered from this.

known facts:

fun facts:
I agree with Marcus

Traveller in Time

#1544 Post by Traveller in Time » 10 Feb 2015 19:20

no there is no word about details, just an orchestra plus Hansi's voice (at least it once was said in the past).

But on thursday there will be a second video with a longer interview, maybe then we get more details.
This one is more a studio tour, where Hansi explains the rooms (what was recorded or mixed here and there)

priderock

#1545 Post by priderock » 10 Feb 2015 22:14

Traveller in Time wrote:no there is no word about details, just an orchestra plus Hansi's voice (at least it once was said in the past).

But on thursday there will be a second video with a longer interview, maybe then we get more details.
This one is more a studio tour, where Hansi explains the rooms (what was recorded or mixed here and there)
Ok, great!!! Would you please do the same with part 2? :D

Traveller in Time

#1546 Post by Traveller in Time » 10 Feb 2015 22:27

I'll try my best :D

priderock

#1547 Post by priderock » 10 Feb 2015 22:38

Traveller in Time wrote:I'll try my best :D
Thanks!!! :mrgreen:

Traveller in Time

#1548 Post by Traveller in Time » 11 Feb 2015 19:29

BTW parts of the earbook artworks you can find on Machado's site:

http://finalfrontier.thunderblast.net/

inernal lord? i guess a typo :lol:

Warmoth

#1549 Post by Warmoth » 11 Feb 2015 20:01

There's a pic on there that didn't make it into the book.

It's a picture of the Golden door.

Dragonfly

#1550 Post by Dragonfly » 11 Feb 2015 20:16

Today I finally got my earbook and heard the album for the first time, probably the last to do so on the whole forum. :D And I'm kinda confused now, can't say I've learnt a lot about the album on my very first listen. So far that's what I've got:

'The Ninth Wave' feels as a mess, but a promising one;

'Twilight Of The Gods' sounds much better here than a single song;

'Prophecies' is really solid and catchy, but the ending feels like a different song from the rest;

'At The Edge Of Time' didn't really grasp me except for the epic ending;

'Ashes Of Eternity' is really nice, even though the chorus is weird and perhaps could have been better, I also like the opening line very much ('The Hare once betrayed me/And so did the Fox and the Crow');

'Distant Memories' has a couple of fine melodies but didn't quite get me so far, the entire song seems a little odd;

'The Holy Grail' is a freaking speedy bomb, that's how new Blind Guardian fast tracks should sound, I like the integration of the choir in the final line of the chorus;

'The Throne' is gigantic and dramatic, great orchestrations and guitar solo, but especially the outro is beautiful;

'Sacred Mind' almost disappointed me with its intro, and the chorus is not the best, but I like the brutal ending and variations in Hansi's vocals;

'Miracle Machine', along with 'The Holy Grail' looks like the most accessible song on the album, the impressive beauty of this piece cannot leave you indifferent; the choirs strongly remind me of Queen and I love that;

'Grand Parade' also feels kinda messy but undoubtedly has some parts that just break right into your heart, like the beginning, the chorus is great;

'Doom' lives up to its grim title, can't say much about this one now but it's certainly nice.

More listens to come.
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies