Blind Guardian's 10th Album, "Beyond the Red Mirror"

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Andreas

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

#1301 Post by Andreas » 23 Jan 2015 16:40

Oh, and the page is MINE!

ErHaO

#1302 Post by ErHaO » 23 Jan 2015 17:04

New video is cool. Nice to see them practice and talk about translating the songs to a live setting.
Angus wrote:It has nothing to do with bit rate. It's a big myth that lossless sounds better than 320 KBPS mp3. Do a placebo controlled test and you'll know what I'm talking about.
True, but the first leak was not of good quality at all (even though it was 320 I think). There were som strange digital artefacts and background noise. I did the playlist test and could clearly tell which was the single rip and which was the leak regarding Twilight of the Gods. Especially Andre's leads sounded different.

Blackened

#1303 Post by Blackened » 23 Jan 2015 18:27

New Rock Hard arrived today.
It features a sampler that includes "The throne".

Haven't read the interview yet & I won't listen to the song 'cause I want to wait for the vinyl next week but I love to read the thoughts from you who have already heard the album.

Interesting note: According to the sampler Bauerfeind has a writing credit for the music of "The throne".

Dragonfly

#1304 Post by Dragonfly » 23 Jan 2015 19:04

Blackened wrote: Interesting note: According to the sampler Bauerfeind has a writing credit for the music of "The throne".
Interesting indeed. I guess it's the first time when producer takes part in writing a Blind Guardian song?

One more week to go. I wonder when Nuclear Blast will dispatch the orders...
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

Tom_Bombadil

#1305 Post by Tom_Bombadil » 23 Jan 2015 19:10

This is probably not exactly the right thread to post this, but given that here the Frederik/Thomen discussion has been on for quite some time and some persons talked about having back Thomen in the band, I consider the right thing posting this part of the interview to him that appeared on Metalitalia.com today. I translated it by hand so don't mind my english :mrgreen:

Interviewer: "Thomen, after near ten years from your departure from Blind Guardian, today, at a personal level, did you get to pacify with your ex band?"

Thomen: "As you might know, me and Blind Guardian lived very difficult moments in the past. Moments that led inevitably to a split between me and them. You see, we had different visions on many things, I wasn't ok with some of their choices and they didn't agree with my ideas, so there was quite a lot of issues on the table. After the split it needed a little time to cheer up my mind again, not that I felt spite towards them, but there was bitterness and I had to metabolize the separation from my friends with whom I played twenty years. In that period it wouldn't be easy to hang out with them or pretend that nothing happened. But, as some time passed by, I took a decision, I took my car and went to Blind Guardian's studio. I remember that I ringed the doorbell, they opened and I told them: 'Hi guys, what's up, what about a cup of coffee?'. It was Hansi to welcome me that day, after a moment of surprise, he told me: 'Hey Thomen, happy to see you, how are you?'. So in that way we began to talk about what happened, we clarified a lot of the issues, even if on some things everyone remained of his opinion. But the most important thing was that we left behind us the past misunderstandings, after all we know each other since we are young boys and we played together for a lifetime. It would have been very silly to remain enemies. Today this is the situation, I would lie if I told you that I meet Blind Guardian every day, but once every two or three months it happens that we find each other and we spend some time together. I also met my "successor", Frederik Ehmke, a super nice guy and a great drummer. They listened to my record with Serious Black and they congratulated me, heartfully wishing me good luck. In one of my visits to their studio they even lent me some things without I asked anything. I congratulated with Hansi for the equipment and he said: 'You need something? Get it!'. I'm very happy to have regained a good relationship with them."

So my opinion is that it is pretty clear that, on this side, the best thing for them is how things are going now: Thomen with Serious Black and Blind Guardian with Frederik. And asking them to get back together would be only selfish and, moreover, useless.

JazzJackrabbit

#1306 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 23 Jan 2015 19:16

Nice, thanks for posting that.

ErHaO

#1307 Post by ErHaO » 23 Jan 2015 19:34

Nice to hear they are on good terms. And I wish Thomen the absolute best in terms of recovery. I was actually hoping to see him live with Serious Black, but too bad. Really sucks for him that he finally has a gig that seems promising and he is unable to tour at the beginning.

Rokubota

#1308 Post by Rokubota » 23 Jan 2015 22:33

Darth Arrow wrote:
Rokubota wrote:Btw, ATEOT is a really kick ass song, it gets better and better. This record is their best in a long time and IMO their more mature, much better than the last two records for sure.
Holy shit :!: If Rokubota says that BtRM is their best record in a long time, then my own expectations just jumped by a mile :lol: I've resisted listening to the leak and I will keep at it since the real release is only a week away. Seriously, what the fuck dudes, you've been waiting for 4½ years for a record and then you jump on a leak 1½ WEEKS before the release, jeesh :lol:
:lol: :lol:

BG was in autopilot in the last records and this new album sounds like a band with the ambition to make a masterpiece, only time will tell if they succeed.

bard_92

#1309 Post by bard_92 » 23 Jan 2015 23:24

Rokubota wrote:
Darth Arrow wrote:
Rokubota wrote:Btw, ATEOT is a really kick ass song, it gets better and better. This record is their best in a long time and IMO their more mature, much better than the last two records for sure.
Holy shit :!: If Rokubota says that BtRM is their best record in a long time, then my own expectations just jumped by a mile :lol: I've resisted listening to the leak and I will keep at it since the real release is only a week away. Seriously, what the fuck dudes, you've been waiting for 4½ years for a record and then you jump on a leak 1½ WEEKS before the release, jeesh :lol:
:lol: :lol:

BG was in autopilot in the last records and this new album sounds like a band with the ambition to make a masterpiece, only time will tell if they succeed.
With every coming day, I'm closer and closer to say that they absolutely reached it! This is probably the album with the most gems in their career to me, for example:
-the first 3 minutes of Ninth Wave
- the ending of Prophecies
- The whole At The Edge Of Time(best thing ever musical wise to me...it's just more than a song, more than an epic...more than anything I have ever heard...)
- Distant Memories(so many catchy moments in this one)
- The Throne(this song is the best definition to me as what the world epic is)
- Miracle Machine(as touching as the Bards Song to me)
- Grand Parade - it's hard to write about this song - it's just a musical masterpiece, it's something that can make proud it's creators for life...just can't find the right words do describe this piece of art!
So, it's still too early to say big things, but that's probably the first BG album that smashed my had with some of it's moments so quickly...

Ryu

#1310 Post by Ryu » 23 Jan 2015 23:40

ErHaO wrote:New video is cool. Nice to see them practice and talk about translating the songs to a live setting.
Angus wrote:It has nothing to do with bit rate. It's a big myth that lossless sounds better than 320 KBPS mp3. Do a placebo controlled test and you'll know what I'm talking about.
True, but the first leak was not of good quality at all (even though it was 320 I think). There were som strange digital artefacts and background noise. I did the playlist test and could clearly tell which was the single rip and which was the leak regarding Twilight of the Gods. Especially Andre's leads sounded different.
If we were all hearing the same original leak (this would've been Monday, central standard time?) then the bitrate jumped between 256 and 320.
Defiant of destiny

Angus

#1311 Post by Angus » 24 Jan 2015 00:22

You can clearly tell that the studio trailers sound far better than any of the leaks. Let's not judge the production until we get the real thing (only 7 more days).

blindgfan

#1312 Post by blindgfan » 24 Jan 2015 00:23

Ryu wrote:
ErHaO wrote:New video is cool. Nice to see them practice and talk about translating the songs to a live setting.
If we were all hearing the same original leak (this would've been Monday, central standard time?) then the bitrate jumped between 256 and 320.
What I did notice is the leak was not loud enough. I had to turn it up higher than normal. But background noise???? Don't know about that.

Blackened

#1313 Post by Blackened » 24 Jan 2015 00:46

Form the Rock Hard Interview:
- Frederik created the basic arrangement for "Holy grail"
- the only songs from Marcus are " Doom" & the not yet finished "Winter's coming"
- orchestral album at the end of 2016 (15, 16 Songs done, maybe 10 on the album)
- no special mix of BTRM for the Vinyl version

The rest is an interesting read but nothing really groundbreaking.

drummer88

#1314 Post by drummer88 » 24 Jan 2015 01:05

Argh, I don't even want to start to think about that they left an oldschool speed song unfinished but therefore release a boring song like totg :cry: :cry: :cry:

Gandalf de Grijze

#1315 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 24 Jan 2015 01:13

Blackened wrote:Form the Rock Hard Interview:
- the only songs from Marcus are " Doom" & the not yet finished "Winter's coming"
- orchestral album at the end of 2016 (15, 16 Songs done, maybe 10 on the album)

welll, that smashes all the Frederik bashers, as they all seem to love Holy Grail...
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

drummer88

#1316 Post by drummer88 » 24 Jan 2015 01:18

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:

welll, that smashes all the Frederik bashers, as they all seem to love Holy Grail...
And it seems that Andre and Frederik are the two "metal" forces in the band that Keep Hansi and Andre in reality.

BTW: I can't stop listen to Distant Memories. This must be the most emotional song they have ever written. The Chorus melodie is beyond anything!

Dragonfly

#1317 Post by Dragonfly » 24 Jan 2015 01:20

That is quite exciting I must say. Thank you once again for your interesting facts!
Looks like this time all the members contributed to the songwriting process. Great, I like that!
So 'Winter's Coming' is out of the album... You know that's just like 'All The King's Horses' back in 2006 - the only Marcus' song is left out or used as a bonus track only. Kinda unfair. :( The good thing is that now I firmly believe that 'Doom' is awesome since songs from Marcus never fail to end up among my favourites.
Anyway, 'Winter's Coming' being out makes me think that 'Ashes Of Eternity' is almost certainly 'Encrypted Time'.
If only ten orchestral songs will make it to the album then what about the rest? Or will they release it in two parts which is something I read about in an interview from 2013 I guess...
I'm intrigued!

ErHaO

#1318 Post by ErHaO » 24 Jan 2015 02:13

Interesting!

So maybe, just maaaaaaybe we will have another album in just barely two years? And from the sounds of it they are keeping some stuff behind for later purposes (maybe their 30th anniversary/another box thing?).

I also wish for a new live album. I think there are plenty of songs that have not had a proper live version for over 20 years and new songs that deserve for a live counterpart (in the same way as they did with Live, with patching up things and making a compilation of the best performances).
blindgfan wrote:
What I did notice is the leak was not loud enough. I had to turn it up higher than normal. But background noise???? Don't know about that.
Well, it was not present all the time. An example would be near the very end of Miracle Machine, you can hear some digital noise (2:57-3:02). In the newer version I do not.

On my laptop I do not hear much of a difference regarding overall sound between leaks, but on my phone (which ironically sounds quite a lot clearer and more accurate than my laptop) I can hear it. On my phone (Sony Xperia Z3 btw) I can hear the orchestras much better apart from the band, too. My laptop probably has a very crappy onboard soundcard.

But who cares, the CD's/vinyls are almost upon us! :D Saving the listenings on the high end installation at my dads place for the real release.

Traveller in Time

#1319 Post by Traveller in Time » 24 Jan 2015 03:08

Very interesting interview.

A new DVD would be cool, too.

BTW EMP has some new merchandise and maybe there we have a look at one of the tour shirts:

http://www.emp.de/art_296241/
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

bestpike

#1320 Post by bestpike » 24 Jan 2015 04:30

A new live CD or DVD should be coming before the next regular album. It's been 3 albums now since the Live CD. It's also been 3 albums between Live CD and Tokyo Tales, so figures.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

bard_92

#1321 Post by bard_92 » 24 Jan 2015 08:33

Great facts, thank you!!!

So, if there's an orchestral project part 2, that would be something that will keep my interest in the next 15 years for sure!!! Hope it will come true someday :) :) :)

As for the Distant Memories - as someone said above- yes, I absolutely agree that this is their most emotional song, maybe ever...and maybe that's what Hansi meant in the post from January 2013, saying about the "Midtempo song" that it's something they never really did before... :)

OmegaSlayer

#1322 Post by OmegaSlayer » 24 Jan 2015 08:41

Gandalf de Grijze wrote: welll, that smashes all the Frederik bashers, as they all seem to love Holy Grail...
Compared to Somewhere Far Beyond and Lost In The Twilight Hall, Holy Grail doesn't stand a chance.
So yeah, one song doesn't smashes even a mosquito.
You're trying a bit too hard.

Andreas

#1323 Post by Andreas » 24 Jan 2015 12:45

OmegaSlayer wrote:
Gandalf de Grijze wrote: welll, that smashes all the Frederik bashers, as they all seem to love Holy Grail...
Compared to Somewhere Far Beyond and Lost In The Twilight Hall, Holy Grail doesn't stand a chance.
So yeah, one song doesn't smashes even a mosquito.
You're trying a bit too hard.
Heh, you should know when someone's trying too hard :P

OmegaSlayer

#1324 Post by OmegaSlayer » 24 Jan 2015 14:33

Andreas wrote: Heh, you should know when someone's trying too hard :P
At least I'm honest and I don't try to sell smoke to prove my point. ;)

Mafarfloune

#1325 Post by Mafarfloune » 25 Jan 2015 21:29

drummer88 wrote:
And it seems that Andre and Frederik are the two "metal" forces in the band that Keep Hansi and Andre in reality.
That's one way of seeing it. One could also argue they're holding them back, as the "metal" side of Blind Guardian is, IMO, not what they do best anymore.

drummer88

#1326 Post by drummer88 » 26 Jan 2015 01:00

Oh did I write Andre? I meant Marcus and frederik of course :D

OmegaSlayer

#1327 Post by OmegaSlayer » 26 Jan 2015 09:11

Mafarfloune wrote:
drummer88 wrote:
That's one way of seeing it. One could also argue they're holding them back, as the "metal" side of Blind Guardian is, IMO, not what they do best anymore.
I would say the "fast side" not the "metal side" actually.

Dragonfly

#1328 Post by Dragonfly » 26 Jan 2015 18:30

Is it just me or is the earbook edition already sold out on Nuclear Blast Europe?

Gandalf de Grijze

#1329 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 26 Jan 2015 18:47

OmegaSlayer wrote:
Mafarfloune wrote:
drummer88 wrote:
I would say the "fast side" not the "metal side" actually.
I guess for quite some "metalheads" there is hardly any difference between these two ;)
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands

bard_92

#1330 Post by bard_92 » 26 Jan 2015 19:23

Btw, does someone already knows the bonus things for the Japanese edition? Mabe At The Edge Of Time song only instrumental - that will be amazing, this song really has and their best orchestrations!!! Also, will we get some kind of an interview, as we had with the last album(A journey through the edge of time) ???At least, I really hope so...
Last edited by bard_92 on 26 Jan 2015 19:32, edited 2 times in total.

Gandalf de Grijze

#1331 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 26 Jan 2015 19:24

Dragonfly wrote:Is it just me or is the earbook edition already sold out on Nuclear Blast Europe?
http://www.nuclearblast.de/en/products/ ... eluxe.html
this one? seems to still be available

Dragonfly

#1332 Post by Dragonfly » 26 Jan 2015 20:43

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:Is it just me or is the earbook edition already sold out on Nuclear Blast Europe?
http://www.nuclearblast.de/en/products/ ... eluxe.html
this one? seems to still be available
No, the one without the 10''. Seems it's no longer available.
Last edited by Dragonfly on 26 Jan 2015 21:09, edited 1 time in total.

Gandalf de Grijze

#1333 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 26 Jan 2015 20:57

i thought there was only the one with the 10"....

Dragonfly

#1334 Post by Dragonfly » 26 Jan 2015 21:09

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:i thought there was only the one with the 10"....
Well, now you are right. :) I actually ordered the earbook only version.

Gandalf de Grijze

#1335 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 26 Jan 2015 21:13

I had this one pre-ordered since november...

melkor

#1336 Post by melkor » 26 Jan 2015 21:22

bard_92 wrote:Btw, does someone already knows the bonus things for the Japanese edition? Mabe At The Edge Of Time song only instrumental - that will be amazing, this song really has and their best orchestrations!!! Also, will we get some kind of an interview, as we had with the last album(A journey through the edge of time) ???At least, I really hope so...

I ordered the japanese 2 cd deluxe edition (from cdJapan), this edition include the earbook traks + the two live tracks from the single (TIME STANDS STILL and THE BARD'S SONG).

They shipped my order yesterday to Mexico :D .

I have a preorder of the earbook edition with EMP too.

Saludos
Last edited by melkor on 26 Jan 2015 21:30, edited 1 time in total.

Traveller in Time

#1337 Post by Traveller in Time » 26 Jan 2015 21:29

I'll guess this time they will reach #1 at charts since the volume of sales does count and not the amount of sold records. :)
Thanks to all those special packages and multicoloured vinyl and so on
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

bard_92

#1338 Post by bard_92 » 26 Jan 2015 21:41

melkor wrote:
bard_92 wrote:Btw, does someone already knows the bonus things for the Japanese edition? Mabe At The Edge Of Time song only instrumental - that will be amazing, this song really has and their best orchestrations!!! Also, will we get some kind of an interview, as we had with the last album(A journey through the edge of time) ???At least, I really hope so...

I ordered the japanese 2 cd deluxe edition (from cdJapan), this edition include the earbook traks + the two live tracks from the single (TIME STANDS STILL and THE BARD'S SONG).

They shipped my order yesterday to Mexico :D .

I have a preorder of the earbook edition with EMP too.

Saludos
Ok, thanks a lot!!! But I just wonder why there's nothing more special for Japanese edition... :?

ErHaO

#1339 Post by ErHaO » 26 Jan 2015 23:49

Me too. As I said before, Nightwish, also signed to Nuclear Blast, releases their album in earbook version (same price) with two bonus discs: acoustic versions and orchestral intrumental tracks. And ATEOT's two disc version had great bonuses for a low price and even a online code with more alternate stuff.

I wonder why the earbook version is so half assed this time around. Considering other bands signed to NB, I'd say it really is due to BG's decisions or something like that. I am pretty sure there is not too much extra work in releasing some wacken 2011 stuff and orchestral tracks.

bestpike

#1340 Post by bestpike » 27 Jan 2015 01:38

The transition of Sacred Mind from its slow intro to its fast main part is fucking phenomenal and exemplary. Would you like to meet the tyrant in the twilight zone?
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

blindgfan

#1341 Post by blindgfan » 27 Jan 2015 02:31

Still no lyrics to be found?

Feanor l'invincible

#1342 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 28 Jan 2015 01:25

Ryu wrote:I'm enjoying Prophecies quite a bit so here's my attempt at some lyrics:

I can see a crow on your judgement day
Seems like a summon
Please come over don't come over please come over
Welcome the last day of our lives

So break the cycle
(?) tearing down
And as we break the cycle
But there is no return, no return

We shall overcome
We will bring you back to a moment in time
We will reveal and detect what you are
Precious truth in a cage
It has been captured but safe
And now we'll bind it and blind it with lies
The king will come

(?) He is the center of creation
The prophecy is a promise to us all

(Chorus)
A crow, a storm
Shadows will be rising soon
A crow, a storm
(?) Once a upon a dream ago
We're the ones you've left alone

Now as we speak there's a way there's a door
Come find us and join us
Come see it and feel it
(?)
You shall be fallen
Your mind's still trapped in twilight
Now catch a glimpse
Shall I get through?

They've walked on to the other side
But I could not know
I'm drowning, drowning, where do I belong
Drowning shadows
I am the center of creation
The prophecy, it's a promise to us all

(Chorus)

Don't blame me, don't blame me
It's (my lie in tone?)
The crow and the hare
They move further in to the unknown

All my words they will be gone
You'll see them playing games
My dear

They've moved along
'Cause one day in the afterlife we'll meet again
I'm frowning, frowning on your judgement day

They are shadows
They're in the center of creation
The prophecy it's promised to us all

(Chorus)

But don't be afraid
There's more beyond the red door
And please ignore their pleas
Just break the seal
Break the seal, find the red door
(There's a red there's a red there's a red door)
Break the seal find the red door
Be eternal, be infernal be eternal we shall never get it back
Be eternal, be infernal be eternal will we ever see the light again?
Good job!
In first pre-chorus, I hear something like "We will come undone" but does not make sense to me...
THE CURSE OF FEANOR RUNS LONG!

Edain

#1343 Post by Edain » 28 Jan 2015 08:37

Could it be that the copypasta-riff from Control the Divine is deliberate in the sense that it's a nod to the Lucifer-theme from the CtD? The "center of creation"-line reminds me very much of the feeling of the earlier song.
"Edis Rehto Eht Morf Snoitanigami!"

ErHaO

#1344 Post by ErHaO » 28 Jan 2015 15:13

I think it is more something in the line of "screw it, it still sounds great so lets use it again for a better song". I do not see BG as a band that does that sort of thing for conceptual purposes (yet), save for moments like the Bard's Song and the Hobbit on the same album. Would be an interesting question to them, actually. As for the concept, I would have actually loved hearing some Imaginations nods here and there (like Dream Theater did for Metropolis and Scenes from a Memory, for example).

Also, regarding those lyrics. There is a crow (a recurring animal troughout songs) on the regular edition's cover. Just a small detail I like :)

OmegaSlayer

#1345 Post by OmegaSlayer » 28 Jan 2015 16:06

ErHaO wrote: Also, regarding those lyrics. There is a crow (a recurring animal troughout songs) on the regular edition's cover. Just a small detail I like :)
The crow is in plain sight on the "Memories Of A Time To Come" cover too

Dragonfly

#1346 Post by Dragonfly » 28 Jan 2015 16:26

ErHaO wrote:Also, regarding those lyrics. There is a crow (a recurring animal troughout songs) on the regular edition's cover. Just a small detail I like :)
Hmm, I thought I saw a crow here, too, but it looks like a larger bird (a golden eagle maybe?) Notice how many animals in general are in this picture, which hopefully comes from the booklet.

Wizard's Crown

#1347 Post by Wizard's Crown » 28 Jan 2015 16:28

So beautiful..

Dragonfly

#1348 Post by Dragonfly » 28 Jan 2015 16:36

I do like it too, hopefully the booklet design will be just as amazing as on 'At The Edge Of Time'.

By the way, the Holy Grail... errrr... earbook is on its way!

OmegaSlayer

#1349 Post by OmegaSlayer » 28 Jan 2015 17:53

Honestly I'm just glad I see the Guardian on the cover again.

ErHaO

#1350 Post by ErHaO » 28 Jan 2015 18:06

Damn that picture disc looks beautiful! Had not seen that one yet. It seems like that one also has the hare and fox from the song lyrics (and other animals it seems). Good to see the artwork really matches the music.

I meant the original Beyond the Red Mirror cover though, in one of the broken/dormant mirrors (on the left).