Blind Guardian's 10th Album, "Beyond the Red Mirror"

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
loren

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

#1201 Post by loren » 21 Jan 2015 00:46

bestpike wrote:
loren wrote:
bestpike wrote:Prophecies has a small riff stolen from Road of No Release, which in turn had the ending stolen from Noldor. Easter egg? lol
If you're refering to the chorus of Prophecies, then, you mean it has the same riff with Control The Divine (not Road of No Release) and it has been stated quite a few times allready, here on the forum, on this thread. It was mentioned even when a trailer, that had this segment, went online.
And I made the same mistake again earlier in the thread even. Thanks for the correction.
That was you again?? Haha!! :p
No problem mate!
https://www.facebook.com/uncertaingreece
http://www.reverbnation.com/uncertain4
One of my bands. Death/progressive metal from Athens, Greece!

Edain

#1202 Post by Edain » 21 Jan 2015 00:47

This is where they wanted to go with A Night at the Opera. Seems they arrived, comfortably. Not without flaws, but amazing. Needs more listens. And lyrics. And more listens.

Don't do it live guys, it can only lose impact. Maybe do it live on the next BG:OA. With orchestra. And choirs.

ANATO and the particular ATEOT-songs were Metal with opera. This is Opera with Metal. Cool.
"Edis Rehto Eht Morf Snoitanigami!"

Ryu

#1203 Post by Ryu » 21 Jan 2015 01:13

Edain wrote:This is where they wanted to go with A Night at the Opera. Seems they arrived, comfortably. Not without flaws, but amazing. Needs more listens. And lyrics. And more listens.

Don't do it live guys, it can only lose impact. Maybe do it live on the next BG:OA. With orchestra. And choirs.

ANATO and the particular ATEOT-songs were Metal with opera. This is Opera with Metal. Cool.
You can pretty much be sure they'll do at least TOTG and The Holy Grail, probably Sacred Mind and Ashes of Eternity live.

I also see them attempting The Ninth Wave with heavy keyboard overdubs..
Defiant of destiny

Rokubota

#1204 Post by Rokubota » 21 Jan 2015 01:44

T3hOverlord wrote:This album is fucking incredible, but it will only reach its full potential once its reworked in like 5-10 years. I agree that it sounds like a combo of twist in the myth and at the edge of time. Thats the first impression I got from it listening to it last night. This album basically defines Blind Guardian's 21st century sound.

Grand Parade, I have a feeling, would be incredible, if I could actually understand what the fuck is going on in it. The production makes it sound like mush.
like how they reworked ANATO?

I don't think so, the album is a victim of bad production but it will get even worse if it`s retouched by them. BG is clueless about how to do this kind of things unlike Devin Townsend who actually knows what he is doing.

nyobit

#1205 Post by nyobit » 21 Jan 2015 01:44

Freak666 wrote:I'm glad Andre is still wearing his Kokopelli-Pendant
Omg... I've been trying to find out what's that thing for like 8 years :)

T3hOverlord

#1206 Post by T3hOverlord » 21 Jan 2015 02:14

Rokubota wrote:
T3hOverlord wrote:This album is fucking incredible, but it will only reach its full potential once its reworked in like 5-10 years. I agree that it sounds like a combo of twist in the myth and at the edge of time. Thats the first impression I got from it listening to it last night. This album basically defines Blind Guardian's 21st century sound.

Grand Parade, I have a feeling, would be incredible, if I could actually understand what the fuck is going on in it. The production makes it sound like mush.
like how they reworked ANATO?

I don't think so, the album is a victim of bad production but it will get even worse if it`s retouched by them. BG is clueless about how to do this kind of things unlike Devin Townsend who actually knows what he is doing.
I'm hoping at one point in the next 5-10 years they listen to their fans and fire Charle and get a real pro to remix it. Thats wishful thinking though, that would be a dream come true, because already, songwriting-wise this is among my favorite BG albums.

T3hOverlord

#1207 Post by T3hOverlord » 21 Jan 2015 02:16

I also find it so fucked up that their rerecorded Valhalla etc, along with a lot of the remixed ATGTSAT albums, the production was a lot harder hitting, dynamic, with clicky, beefy bass drums etc, and they totally regressed with this album. It doesnt make any sense when you compare this with MOATTC

Rokubota

#1208 Post by Rokubota » 21 Jan 2015 02:35

Feanor l'invincible wrote:Sacred Mind's chorus is so damn good that they did it 4 times :lol:
:lol:

Zhuge Liang

#1209 Post by Zhuge Liang » 21 Jan 2015 05:41

I think I remember them mentioning they were drawing inspiration from Savatage in an interview, and I can definitely hear it in Grand Parade. It's great, I love it. Savatage ruled.
"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." -Zhuge Liang

OmegaSlayer

#1210 Post by OmegaSlayer » 21 Jan 2015 09:01

Dudes...
I'm one of the first ones blaming Charlie for a terrible production, but saying he's not a pro is too much and false.
He's not fit to deal with BG.

It has been clear by a decade that both Hansi and Andrè are terribly stubborn with their decisions.
And the friendship with Charlie doesn't help because he probably can't voice his concerns too much saying: "Dudes, if you go that route, that is going to suck"

And I'm not in for a rework, because BG are going to screw it more than it's already messed.
This record only needs drums re recorded by Thomen, as the past 2 records.

Anyway February 5th 8PM CET they guys will answer questions on Reddit and I'll be there asking about bringing Thomen back.
Because the drumming is so flat it kills every dynamic and every mood change.

bestpike

#1211 Post by bestpike » 21 Jan 2015 09:49

This could change, but the album to me is much better than ATEOT, solely on the fact that it's faster, more brutal, and all the songs sound fucking great, I can't find any filler at all. And I don't even know the lyrics, which was necessary to get into some previous albums' songs.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

finrod

#1212 Post by finrod » 21 Jan 2015 10:14

Can anyone tell me what the lyrics are to the chorus of Sacred Mind? I can hear "Sacred mind, we build a new..." but I can't make anything out after that.

Avelar

#1213 Post by Avelar » 21 Jan 2015 10:49

Wizard's Crown wrote:Am I wrong or there's a similarity between the chorus of prophecies and the chorus of turn the page? In prophecies the part I'm talking about the lyrics are "once upon a dream ago (?) " and in turn the page "turn the wheel again"..am I the only one hearing it?
Definitely! Just needed to pay attention to recognize it immediately. One more connection to an old song? :)
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.

Wizard's Crown

#1214 Post by Wizard's Crown » 21 Jan 2015 11:04

Avelar wrote:
Wizard's Crown wrote:Am I wrong or there's a similarity between the chorus of prophecies and the chorus of turn the page? In prophecies the part I'm talking about the lyrics are "once upon a dream ago (?) " and in turn the page "turn the wheel again"..am I the only one hearing it?
Definitely! Just needed to pay attention to recognize it immediately. One more connection to an old song? :)
I guess so..so far I have spotted riffs from Fly, Control the Divine, Tanelorn some similar solo parts from again Fly and Tanelorn, and this melody from Turn the Page

Guardian'86

#1215 Post by Guardian'86 » 21 Jan 2015 11:29

OmegaSlayer wrote:Dudes...
I'm one of the first ones blaming Charlie for a terrible production, but saying he's not a pro is too much and false.

It has been clear by a decade that both Hansi and Andrè are terribly stubborn with their decisions.
And the friendship with Charlie doesn't help because he probably can't voice his concerns too much saying: "Dudes, if you go that route, that is going to suck"

And I'm not in for a rework, because BG are going to screw it more than it's already messed.

Anyway February 5th 8PM CET they guys will answer questions on Reddit and I'll be there asking about bringing Thomen back.
Honestly I agree too. I listened to the album and the drumming is really flat. Maybe because of the new approach they adopted for this album. Sometime I have the impression that the orchestral parts cover guitar parts and I can hear good the guitar solos.
The drumming reminds me something from the previous album...and it seem too simple !!!

bard_92

#1216 Post by bard_92 » 21 Jan 2015 12:17

If At The Edge Of Time has something to do with the orchestral project...then...MY GOD :shock:
This Chorus is already my favourite one, the song is my favourite one already...those operatic vocals at the end are the best thing I have ever heard...Just can't describe this song...much more than anything I have ever imagine I'll hear in music in my life!!!!!!! To me that's their best song!

ErHaO

#1217 Post by ErHaO » 21 Jan 2015 12:51

The leak is a webrip? Does that mean there is hope for a bit better quality?

Edit: I have just compared the Twilight of the Gods single and the album leak on identical set up, there is indeed an audible difference (not in mixing, offcourse).

I agree with the Charlie part and also agree that Thomen was much better. But like I said before, I think the drumming is solid enough and does not kill any dynamic at all. To me that is hyperbole.

But I do know what you feel. When Dream Theater went to Mangini (who by all means is a fantastic drummer and I love him live) Their albums without Portnoy sucked balls in terms of drumsound and the drums just have a bit of a lifeless presence a lot of the times (alltough DT13 most certainly has some really cool parts). And then you have the extreme case of Avenged Sevenfold. There was some awesome drumming on some of their earlier records and I liked when Portnoy took the job upon him. But Hail to the King with their new drummer sounds like Lars Ulrich sneaked into the studio, deleted all drum tracks and recorded his on top of it. Somehow, drummer changes in bands where the drums are/were prominent often are not for the best, unfortunately.

drummer88

#1218 Post by drummer88 » 21 Jan 2015 13:46

ErHaO wrote:The leak is a webrip? Does that mean there is hope for a bit better quality?

Edit: I have just compared the Twilight of the Gods single and the album leak on identical set up, there is indeed an audible difference (not in mixing, offcourse).

I agree with the Charlie part and also agree that Thomen was much better. But like I said before, I think the drumming is solid enough and does not kill any dynamic at all. To me that is hyperbole.

But I do know what you feel. When Dream Theater went to Mangini (who by all means is a fantastic drummer and I love him live) Their albums without Portnoy sucked balls in terms of drumsound and the drums just have a bit of a lifeless presence a lot of the times (alltough DT13 most certainly has some really cool parts). And then you have the extreme case of Avenged Sevenfold. There was some awesome drumming on some of their earlier records and I liked when Portnoy took the job upon him. But Hail to the King with their new drummer sounds like Lars Ulrich sneaked into the studio, deleted all drum tracks and recorded his on top of it. Somehow, drummer changes in bands where the drums are/were prominent often are not for the best, unfortunately.
Well, to be fair we have to admit, that in the early days Thomens playing was also quite simple. More complex drumming found ist way into the Songs on Nightfall and Opera. Of course no one can deny that his drumming there was/is outstanding. As I said in another thread, I'm quite sure, that as the newest member Frederik doesn't get that much space for his own ideas as Thomen got. Andre said in a Trailer for the last Album, that everybody has some space to bring in new elements, but in the end everyone has to stick quite closely to his origin ideas. So it might be hard for Frederik to Play mor compley stuff. In my opinion in Sinbreed he can show much more of his skill and creativity.

OmegaSlayer

#1219 Post by OmegaSlayer » 21 Jan 2015 14:20

It's from Somewhere Far Beyond that Thomen renewed how the drum is played in power metal.
And by the way, I would question even Steve Vai as a replacement for Marcus.

bestpike

#1220 Post by bestpike » 21 Jan 2015 14:54

I don't know what The Holy Grail is talking about, but only Hansi's voice and the music make me excited about it lol. It's more who tells the story and less how good the story itself is I guess, proven time and time again.
Forever to be free

drummer88

#1221 Post by drummer88 » 21 Jan 2015 15:04

OmegaSlayer wrote:It's from Somewhere Far Beyond that Thomen renewed how the drum is played in power metal.
Nope, that was Ingo Schwichtenberg on the Keeper albums

OmegaSlayer

#1222 Post by OmegaSlayer » 21 Jan 2015 15:34

drummer88 wrote:
OmegaSlayer wrote:It's from Somewhere Far Beyond that Thomen renewed how the drum is played in power metal.
Nope, that was Ingo Schwichtenberg on the Keeper albums
Indeed Ingo started it, no doubt about that, but Thomen completed it, because he took that idea and moved it forward.

blindgfan

#1223 Post by blindgfan » 21 Jan 2015 18:12

Does anyone have more info on bonus tracks (besides the lengths)?

I only found this from a long time ago:

Midtempo Song Potentially titled "Distant Memories"

" “Midtempo Song” is a great song of misunderstandings and technical failures, the result so far is a little surprising to everyone involved and has nothing to do at all with a song entitled “Midtempo Song”. I enjoy this one a lot, because I cannot remember us doing something like this. The song is still in a very early phase and André has kept it hidden from me for a while now."

" “Midtempo Song” is the most “commercial” song on the album so far. “Commercial” in a positive way, of course. It would deserve a title like “Irish Hills” more than “Grand Parade” did when it was called “Irish Hills”, but who said that life is always fair… To give justice to the song I also have to say that it is very progressive but also very catchy."

residentour

#1224 Post by residentour » 21 Jan 2015 18:15

Any vuvuzella? :mrgreen:

Wizard's Crown

#1225 Post by Wizard's Crown » 21 Jan 2015 18:40

At one video we saw Marcus playing an acoustic part..i guess that one will be at the bonus tracks?

ErHaO

#1226 Post by ErHaO » 21 Jan 2015 19:14

blindgfan wrote:Does anyone have more info on bonus tracks (besides the lengths)?

I only found this from a long time ago:

Midtempo Song Potentially titled "Distant Memories"

" “Midtempo Song” is a great song of misunderstandings and technical failures, the result so far is a little surprising to everyone involved and has nothing to do at all with a song entitled “Midtempo Song”. I enjoy this one a lot, because I cannot remember us doing something like this. The song is still in a very early phase and André has kept it hidden from me for a while now."

" “Midtempo Song” is the most “commercial” song on the album so far. “Commercial” in a positive way, of course. It would deserve a title like “Irish Hills” more than “Grand Parade” did when it was called “Irish Hills”, but who said that life is always fair… To give justice to the song I also have to say that it is very progressive but also very catchy."
The song description from a few months back:

Distant Memories

- again cineatic soundtrack with orchester
- more light-footed
- great storytelling by Hansi
- dynamic and dramatic sounding

(mind that some of those song descriptions are a bit off now that I heard them myself).

For the sake of album pacing I am hoping this one to be an epic ballady piece.

And do we have anything on Doom?

And are those Nightfall demo's present on this album? (or do we get those in the next boxset/best of/rereleases at their 30th anniversary). They said they finished recording the full versions if I remember correctly.

Avelar

#1227 Post by Avelar » 21 Jan 2015 19:16

Wizard's Crown wrote:At one video we saw Marcus playing an acoustic part..i guess that one will be at the bonus tracks?
Asked myself the question where is this acoustic part several times and it seems that you have an answer - it's gonna be in a bonus track. Distant Memories?
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.

Dragonfly

#1228 Post by Dragonfly » 21 Jan 2015 19:36

*cough, cough* 'Distant Memories' has leaked apparently. I don't know where, I don't know how, I just saw people discussing it. And yes, it was described as beautiful and epic yet kinda monotonous at the same time.
As for 'Doom', it will be certainly the last song from the album everyone will hear, whether on the earbook edition or just as a download. No information on that one yet, as far as I'm concerned.
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

Feanor l'invincible

#1229 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 21 Jan 2015 19:49

Wizard's Crown wrote:
Avelar wrote:
I guess so..so far I have spotted riffs from Fly, Control the Divine, Tanelorn some similar solo parts from again Fly and Tanelorn, and this melody from Turn the Page
The Ninth Wave at 3:42 for example
Intro riff to Ashes of Eternity

Some of you might say this is easy, but this is all I could do with my modest level of english :D
This is a very emotive ballad we have here! feel free to correct, please.

Miracle Machine :

When they are coming give us guidance.
For they are calling to erase the damn
Yet after all they praise the calling
To erase the damn

(They will return)

Now let me take you to the other side
Turn off the light and let it grow
They will set it on fire
They come to fool us all
They are slaves to the fire you know,
the fire must grow, they have to feel it.

We must believe in something that I would call a miracle
The (grey?) will break the final seal
We must believe in something a miracle,
a miracle machine. We're just hiding secretly.

No belief, no belief, give us what we need
Betrayed by the ? I've learned to love the shadows and now they're ?
That's why they need you in the other side and then we,
we may carry another lie, I summon from the inside, deeper inside.
They don't belong here, though they claim their rights

(let it grow)

Turn off the lights let reason grow. They will set it on fire
They come to fool us all
They are slaves to the fire you know,
The fire must grow, they have to feel it.

For they are coming, give us guidance.
Last edited by Feanor l'invincible on 21 Jan 2015 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
THE CURSE OF FEANOR RUNS LONG!

OmegaSlayer

#1230 Post by OmegaSlayer » 21 Jan 2015 20:15

I confirm "Distant Memories" has leaked.
I haven't listened to it yet though.

Feanor l'invincible

#1231 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 21 Jan 2015 20:21

OmegaSlayer wrote:I confirm "Distant Memories" has leaked.
I haven't listened to it yet though.
I confirm, I can hear the bass for once, nice power ballad, definitely has its place between Ashes of Eternity and The Holy Grail on the album!

OmegaSlayer

#1232 Post by OmegaSlayer » 21 Jan 2015 20:53

"Distant Memories" is a quality song, much better than 2 or 3 other regular songs.
Imagine a softer, less aggressive, bit slower, more symphonic Mordred's Song.
It raises the quality of the whole album.
It's also the better recorded song as Feanor rightly pointed out.
I get why people say it's monotous...for 4/5 of the song the drum does the same thing.

Listening to it a second time, it's a little gem.

Orodaran

#1233 Post by Orodaran » 21 Jan 2015 21:15

OmegaSlayer wrote:Anyway February 5th 8PM CET they guys will answer questions on Reddit and I'll be there asking about bringing Thomen back.
Really? out of all the things you could possibly ask, you are gonna say this? the office equivalent of entering a company and suggesting that a person is entirely at fault for something and that he should lose his job of 10 years in favor of someone who worked there 10 years ago before him?

Furthermore, what do you expect them to answer, given they'd even bother to answer? what kind of reply do you realistically expect? I understand having opinions, preferences, and wanting to voice one's own displeasure with this or that side of the band, but again, seriously - what are you gonna expect as an answer, assuming they'd even give one? if you want to waste a question, just ask them to play a gig in a random country of the world where they have no audience.
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

OmegaSlayer

#1234 Post by OmegaSlayer » 21 Jan 2015 21:25

I know I sound like a dick, I always do because I honestly say what I think, even if I know people won't like what I say.
Still I don't see any point in kissing BG's butts and telling them everything is ok while it's not.
I don't expect an answer.
As a fan I have my concerns and delusions and I want to voice them.
I don't have any negative feelings against Frederik, I think he's a really good drummer, but between an honest worker that does his job and someone that has the extra spice I prefer the extra spice.
It's a paradox that BG wants to progress, but something in their sound holds them back.
Last edited by OmegaSlayer on 21 Jan 2015 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

arenamaster

#1235 Post by arenamaster » 21 Jan 2015 21:26

dudes i don't know about you all

but i love this fucking album

it feels so much more mature, so much more focused than any record since NiME
Each step I take,
May it hurt may it ache
Leads me further
Away from the past!
But as long as I breathe,
Each smile in my bleak face,
I'm on my way to find
Back to the peace of mind!

Freak666

#1236 Post by Freak666 » 21 Jan 2015 21:49

Just rushed through all songs because of being busy. Oh yes, you really have to be in the right mood for this album.
I feel it's great, but after the first quick spin my head aches. There seems not to be any non-complex verse or chorus.
I know it will grow, but I also know it will take a lot of time. Time that a full time worker with two childs unfortunatly quite never has.... :(

blindgfan

#1237 Post by blindgfan » 21 Jan 2015 22:18

Freak666 wrote:Just rushed through all songs because of being busy. Oh yes, you really have to be in the right mood for this album.
I feel it's great, but after the first quick spin my head aches. There seems not to be any non-complex verse or chorus.
I know it will grow, but I also know it will take a lot of time. Time that a full time worker with two childs unfortunatly quite never has.... :(

The more it grows the longer it will stay.

Gandalf de Grijze

#1238 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 21 Jan 2015 22:24

blindgfan wrote:
The more it grows the longer it will stay.
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!

(sorry, couldn't resist)
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

nyobit

#1239 Post by nyobit » 21 Jan 2015 22:41

Wizard's Crown wrote:
Avelar wrote:
IIRC it has to do with the weakest songs (in the opinion of the songwriters) being usually placed on the third place of the tracklist. This is funny, because usually they are the ones I enjoy the most in the recent albums.

arenamaster

#1240 Post by arenamaster » 21 Jan 2015 22:52

Sorry man, but this is a stupid fucking question. Thomen is happy doing his thrash metal thing and if he wasn't interested in playing for BG on ANATO, why would he now when they have evolved even further into the orchestral style he doesn't like?
Each step I take,
May it hurt may it ache
Leads me further
Away from the past!
But as long as I breathe,
Each smile in my bleak face,
I'm on my way to find
Back to the peace of mind!

bestpike

#1241 Post by bestpike » 21 Jan 2015 22:57

arenamaster wrote:
Sorry man, but this is a stupid fucking question. Thomen is happy doing his thrash metal thing and if he wasn't interested in playing for BG on ANATO, why would he now when they have evolved even further into the orchestral style he doesn't like?
Besides, Thomen never wanted to actually leave or the band to kick him, it was a necessary decision. Don't ask this question...
Forever to be free

ErHaO

#1242 Post by ErHaO » 21 Jan 2015 23:17

bestpike wrote:
arenamaster wrote:
Besides, Thomen never wanted to actually leave or the band to kick him, it was a necessary decision. Don't ask this question...
I recall that the booklet that comes with the Travellers boxset that they all state the most difficult time in their career was when Thomen left.

Indeed, do not ask this question. You will probably only annoy them, offend Fredrick and never get an answer anyways. Instead, ask how they approach the recording/writing of the drumming and how they decide on the drumsound to gain some insight.

Wizard's Crown

#1243 Post by Wizard's Crown » 21 Jan 2015 23:38

It's probably a little rude to ask them that question which they probably won't answer seriously ( I don't think they will be offended they have heard much worse stuff). However the band (and by band I mean Andre and hansi) should be concerned about the drumming part cause in power metal the driving force of the music is the drummer and in our case this just doesn't happen. Maybe the band has to do a meeting and discuss this kind of stuff with Frederick and what they want from him. But it the band is happy with the final product there's nothing to do but only to imagine how thomen would have played it.

Listen to the Holy grail..this is the first time that Frederick plays this way in a speedy song (close to what thomen would have played it) and already is a fan favorite..we know he can't be thomen but all we want is to play with more passion..

Rokubota

#1244 Post by Rokubota » 21 Jan 2015 23:44

Asking that kind of question is pretty stupid, "de muy mal gusto" to put it in spanish. If it was for me they will make more thrashy songs but at the end of the day they are the band and not me.

Frederik just needs to please the guys in BG and none else, Marcus and the other guys are happy with him in the band AFAIK. I actualy think that a lot of the kick ass tempo changes in the new album are his contribution.

Btw, ATEOT is a really kick ass song, it gets better and better. This record is their best in a long time and IMO their more mature, much better than the last two records for sure.

\,,/ \,,/

Tom_Bombadil

#1245 Post by Tom_Bombadil » 22 Jan 2015 00:18

Hi guys, first time posting here!! :D

I want to share some of my opinions for the new album: it's fuckin' brilliant. It takes their last three albums and mix them in their most epic record to date.
Best song for me (subject to change of course) is Prophecies, each note fits perfectly in the song, the guitar lead in the chorus takes a lot from Control the Divine, but WOAH is it good!!!! And the ending... :roll:
I also revaluated Miracle Machine; at the first listens it felt weird but actually its build-up is an excellent introduction to Grand Parade.

Speaking of auto-citations, apart from the ones you've already spotted, the bit at 1.43-1.45 of Sacred Minds is exactly taken from the scream "I still hear my cryouts!!" on the beginning of Script for my Requiem :mrgreen: but the part at 1.32-1.34 of The Holy Grail, where I already heard it?? :shock:

Last thought: I would love to hear The Ninth Wave as the opener for the live shows. That intro would be sooooooo good.

Dragonfly

#1246 Post by Dragonfly » 22 Jan 2015 00:49

Just listened to an interview with Marcus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgoZEpRtQH8, I guess we've not had it posted here yet) and now I wonder why nobody would ask a question about the absence of covers this time aound. Everyone likes when Blind Guardian make a cover version as far as I know, but no one cares enough to ask them about this rather interesting aspect of the band's music. Same thing goes for those Nightfall-era songs that were mentioned in that update only to vanish much like your salary. Man I wish I could conduct an interview myself... I'm starting to get an impression that some interviewers are not that clever and curious as they should be considering their profession and taste in music.

Feanor l'invincible

#1247 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 22 Jan 2015 00:55

Can't find the acoustic part by Marcus on "Distant Memories"...

Dragonfly

#1248 Post by Dragonfly » 22 Jan 2015 00:56

Tom_Bombadil wrote:Hi guys, first time posting here!! :D

I want to share some of my opinions for the new album: it's fuckin' brilliant. It takes their last three albums and mix them in their most epic record to date.
Best song for me (subject to change of course) is Prophecies, each note fits perfectly in the song, the guitar lead in the chorus takes a lot from Control the Divine, but WOAH is it good!!!! And the ending... :roll:
I also revaluated Miracle Machine; at the first listens it felt weird but actually its build-up is an excellent introduction to Grand Parade.

Speaking of auto-citations, apart from the ones you've already spotted, the bit at 1.43-1.45 of Sacred Minds is exactly taken from the scream "I still hear my cryouts!!" on the beginning of Script for my Requiem :mrgreen: but the part at 1.32-1.34 of The Holy Grail, where I already heard it?? :shock:

Last thought: I would love to hear The Ninth Wave as the opener for the live shows. That intro would be sooooooo good.
Wow, even Tom Bombadil lisetens to Blind Guardian! :D
Welcome! :mrgreen:

Dragonfly

#1249 Post by Dragonfly » 22 Jan 2015 00:58

Feanor l'invincible wrote:Can't find the acoustic part by Marcus on "Distant Memories"...
Maybe it's 'Doom' then? Judging by the title it may be a pretty dark song...

ErHaO

#1250 Post by ErHaO » 22 Jan 2015 01:59

So while listening to this awesome album I read Hansi's posts again and came up with this:

Ninth Wave - ???
Twilight of the Gods - Song 9 (used to be a collection of parts, straightforward chorus)
Prophecies - Prophecies
At the Edge of Time - The Ocean (very progressive orchestral orientated song, could be thematic introduction to orchestal album)???
Ashes of Eternity - Encrypted Time (modern speed song with 70's influences)
Distant Memories - Midtempo song (commercial, progressive and cathy, something new for them)???
Holy Grail - Holy Grail
The Throne - The Throne
Sacred Mind - Outcast (soft intro, speed afterward, rollercoaster trough three decades of metal)
Miracle Machine - ???
Grand Parade - Irish Hill/Grand Parade
Doom - ???

The ones I could not link:
-Winter’s Coming? (fast and heavy, 90's influenced, Marcus idea)
-Soundtrack 2 (some very heavy moments, almost trash metal like) (maybe Ninth Wave? Just because of it's name :P Has some soundtrack moments and it does get somewhat heavy here and there. )
-Two nightfall b-songs (pretty sure they are not on this album considering most songs have fitting descriptions)

Not sure about ATEOT, could be Ninth Wave as well. Maybe Doom is one of the above? As for Miracle Machine, there is no description by Hansi I would link to that. To quote Hansi: "Right now, we are working on 5 faster songs". Maybe Doom is one of those still?