Blind Guardian's 10th Album, "Beyond the Red Mirror"

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Ryu

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

#1151 Post by Ryu » 20 Jan 2015 08:00

OmegaSlayer wrote:Definitely Twilight IS indeed the worse song.
By a mile, I should say.
My opinion is that sometimes the guys wanted to try a bit harder and some thing don't sound spontaneous at all.
The record is great anyway, but the production butchers it.
It IS THAT BAD.
In some parts it's a chore to listen to it.

I found loads of nods to past records in vocal and guitar lines.
Probably that's a choice.
A welcome one if I say mine.

I will go on song reviews when they grow more, but for now I'm liking more the ones that haven't been hyped to the border of the universe and more, like "The Throne"
In your opinion is the start of the chorus there (The Throne) "we must start the fire"?
Defiant of destiny

wade-newb

#1152 Post by wade-newb » 20 Jan 2015 08:27

Good god. In my mind, this is BG's best album so far, by a long long way.
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

OmegaSlayer

#1153 Post by OmegaSlayer » 20 Jan 2015 08:48

Ryu wrote: In your opinion is the start of the chorus there (The Throne) "we must start the fire"?
I mean where it sounds like "Theatre Of Pain", on Ashes Of Eternity for example ;)
Last edited by OmegaSlayer on 20 Jan 2015 09:40, edited 1 time in total.

Umex

#1154 Post by Umex » 20 Jan 2015 09:27

This is pretty insane....

bard_92

#1155 Post by bard_92 » 20 Jan 2015 09:34

First listening: Ninth Wave and At The Edge Of Time...!!! Outstanding songs!!! ATEOT is really becoming something very special to me... This one could be the best thing musical wise I have ever heard! But what do you think about Grand Parade ??? Is it really better than than ATTWS and WOT ??? I still have mixed feelings...and does somebody get the meaning of the lyrics :/

wade-newb

#1156 Post by wade-newb » 20 Jan 2015 09:44

bard_92 wrote:First listening: Ninth Wave and At The Edge Of Time...!!! Outstanding songs!!! ATEOT is really becoming something very special to me... This one could be the best thing musical wise I have ever heard! But what do you think about Grand Parade ??? Is it really better than than ATTWS and WOT ??? I still have mixed feelings...and does somebody get the meaning of the lyrics :/
Grand Parade was an extreme experience for me. I think that it's so different from a typical BG Epic that it can be hard to understand. Perhaps don't try to see it in the same musical light as attws or wot. To me the best so far are, in order, Ninth Wave, Grand Parade, Sacred Mind. Those are the ones really standing out to me right now, but all have got amazing music and moments.
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

bard_92

#1157 Post by bard_92 » 20 Jan 2015 10:36

I'm sorry I breaked our deal Traveller in Time...I was supposed to wait 10 more days with samples or anything...but not with the full songs :(

Gandalf de Grijze

#1158 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 20 Jan 2015 11:11

Oh how tempting it is to go look for the leak....
But I must resist! I cannot lose faith!

However: about TOTG being the weakest song on the album: I already predicted that ;)
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Gandalf de Grijze

#1159 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 20 Jan 2015 11:47

Ok, I'm weak!

just downloaded it, (conscious says it is ok, i bought it already)
First listen on the best audio i have in house,.,.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands

drummer88

#1160 Post by drummer88 » 20 Jan 2015 12:11

Well after the first few rounds I'm not as happy as I was with ATEOT. In comparison the new Album lacks great catchy Refrains in most of the Songs. The only Songs that I stick so listen over and over again are the holy grail, sacred mind and the throne. Especially the holy grail is one of the best Songs since NIME and also the first real Speed metal Songs since mirror mirror. Finally a song has some real Speed metal drums again and no disrupting parts that takes the Speed out of the song like in AVITD or in Tanelorn.

Edit: Ashes of Eternity seems to be one of the worst Songs BG has ever written. There is not even a single Special part in this song -.-

OmegaSlayer

#1161 Post by OmegaSlayer » 20 Jan 2015 13:00

Best song in my book is "The Throne" hands down.

Anyway, I liked the record so much that I pre-ordered even the Earbook edition, so the early leak was good for sales :)

So, if I decided to buy 2 copies it's obvious I enjoyed the record a lot though:

-For the millionth time I say BG lack the touch of Thomen since the drum sections are weak and predictable.
-Andrè should cut down some of his parts because they're redundant. (Like on the TOTG intro, his high notes don't add anything significant to the music, just weaken the impact instead)
-Production is bad.
-Felipe Machado is too cliched for BG, Anthony Clarkson was way better.
-Some choruses from the left field sound stubbornly forced.

turcomagan

#1162 Post by turcomagan » 20 Jan 2015 13:32

the throne is the best song since and then there was silence, very very very inspired. they do it again, teleport me from my oficce to another world :lol:

Wizard's Crown

#1163 Post by Wizard's Crown » 20 Jan 2015 13:38

After 3-4 hours of only hearing the new album I have to say some things.

1.This album is the true continuing of ANATO. It combines all the elements from the past 2 albums giving us the lost ancestor of ANATO. Maybe it is too early but in my eyes this album is equal to A night at the opera. (however because exactly it combines ATITM and ATEOT it kind of erases those albums)

2.bad production but I can justify it cause the band made a huge sound of instruments and vocals in each and every song so the producer had a tough time. From my point of view the ideal would be a release of a reworked production of the album cause it is a same to have an almost perfect album with bad production.

3.Frederik is too little for the band. A drum machine would do a better job and I'm so sad to say that kind of words. I was listening to the Throne and I was so annoyed by his boring drum pattern as it was an endless repeat. I said that for ToTG and I will say it again:he holds back the band and the songs. Thomen would make the songs kicking serious ass.

4.from the holy grail until the end of the album the bards give us pure excellence.my personal favorites the holy grail the throne and sacred mind.the holy grail is the script of my requiem of our time.

5.totg and ashes of eternity are the weakest songs for me.

6.i admit I haven't ordered the album but after that I'm buying a vinyl player (if someone has any suggestions please send me at pm) and the vinyl of the album.

Well done bards!! :P
Last edited by Wizard's Crown on 20 Jan 2015 17:52, edited 1 time in total.

finrod

#1164 Post by finrod » 20 Jan 2015 14:33

When I first listened through the album I was, I don't know, completely lost. There was barely anything that really stood out to me. It was too overwhelming, I guess. I've just finished my second listen, and it almost sounds like a completely different album to the one I first heard. Every track is amazing. And I think it will only get better with each successive listen.

Umex

#1165 Post by Umex » 20 Jan 2015 14:37

The Ninth Wave - The intro chant gives me the goose bumps each time, otherwise the song gets watered down... Idk, may still grow on me, I tend to like these epic stuff in the end.
Twilight of The Gods - Listened too much to it and is now a bit annoying
Prophecies - Probably one of my favs, can't point my finger at why
At the Edge of Time - That was in the last trailer, right? That chorus part is awesome, the whole song is awesome
Ashes of Eternity - Haven't listened it enough
The Holy Grail - I like it, especially the backing chorus, also probably one of the best
The Throne - This one didn't impress much
Sacred Mind - Insane, love it.
Miracle Machine - I leave the slow ones for the end, sounds nice on first listening
Grand Parade - This one is probably no.1. Epic level 11+. I can't even... It's really GRAND.

All in all I am quite satisfied, a lot of songs show potential and as always with the Bards, the songs need their time. And that is great. We don't get cheesy pop-rock songs that go right into the ear, you have to work for the songs and that's what I love about it. It is hard music. Production wise I won't pretend to be smart, it's probably hard to put in all the epic they want to and still sound clean and clear, dunno who should be called "responsible" for any production issues, the Bards for trying to be "too Epic", or the producer, for not being able to cope with the scale. It sounds reasonably well to me, at least. Hell, it sounds great to me.

I'll deffinitely buy the thing once it graces our store.

Time to peek beyond the red mirror some more....

OmegaSlayer

#1166 Post by OmegaSlayer » 20 Jan 2015 16:00

Am I the only one that thinks that Ride Into Obsession is the best fast song BG made after Mirror Mirror? :oops:

Anyway, I would buy again the last 3 records if Thomen would re record the drum parts.
As I said in the other thread about Frederik's drumming, having Thomen out is a no win situation.

It's not about drumming skills, it's about ALCHEMY.
A founding member, a songwriter, which stayed in the band for 20 years can't be replaced.
By anyone, not even by Portnoy.
Part of BG sounds in Thomen's hands, and that's what have been lacking in the last 3 records to make them excellent.

I also think that Thomen gave Hansi and Andrè a run for their money and was vocal with production choices.
Thomen back would only be good for the band.

The drums in BTRM are silly, so flat they hurt.

bestpike

#1167 Post by bestpike » 20 Jan 2015 16:17

OmegaSlayer wrote:Am I the only one that thinks that Ride Into Obsession is the best fast song BG made after Mirror Mirror? :oops:

Anyway, I would buy again the last 3 records if Thomen would re record the drum parts.
As I said in the other thread about Frederik's drumming, having Thomen out is a no win situation.

It's not about drumming skills, it's about ALCHEMY.
A founding member, a songwriter, which stayed in the band for 20 years can't be replaced.
By anyone, not even by Portnoy.
Part of BG sounds in Thomen's hands, and that's what have been lacking in the last 3 records to make them excellent.

I also think that Thomen gave Hansi and Andrè a run for their money and was vocal with production choices.
Thomen back would only be good for the band.

The drums in BTRM are silly, so flat they hurt.

Thomen didn't want to quit, he had/has health problems (I'm not clear on what exactly, drugs or some physical problem), the story about different musical directions was just a front. Ride into Obsession is not bad at all, but I wouldn't put it above Punishment Divine :O.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

ErHaO

#1168 Post by ErHaO » 20 Jan 2015 16:23

Yesterday I listened with my in-ear phones on my laptop. Now, by putting it on my (better souding than my home PC and laptop, ironically) phone, playing with equalizers and with a pair of clear non-bassy/muddy headphones, I can hear the elements that make up the songs much better. Still far from an ideal production, however.

So, after listening to it like 7 times and my favourite ones even more my song reviews:

-Ninth Wave: Interesting intro, it is kind of like they expanded on Inquisition from FTB. The song has this dystopian/dark beginnings feeling with a tad of well placed proggyness. Chorus is catchy, epic and flows great. This is the worst sounding song from the album btw. Hansi is a bit on the background. In fact, all elements sound a tad far away here. And the scifi sounds, while cool, could sound better. They should take notes from Arjen Lucassen for the scifi stuff.

-Twilight of the Gods: I have discussed this song quite extensively. I like it, but it has some clear pacing problems in the first minute or two and feels like they cut out some parts. Thankfully I can say that this is the only song with such problems and that the more straightforward chorus of this one is also about the only case. Lower tier song for sure, but an solid single.

-Prophecies: This albums Valkeries/Control the Divine (well, it has that riff :P ). This song flows well and has some damn catchy parts. The control the divine riff works really well here, so I do not mind it. Love the ending of this song a lot. Familiar territory, but done well.

-At the Edge of Time: It is most certainly a unique song for them. Tight songwriting. Even though short and no lack of different musical elements, it kind of feels like a coherent large epic. I like how they use the choirs. Hansi is not multiplied all the time and sings "alone" for quite some lines and sometimes the choirs kick in to put a bit of power behind him or complement him with another melody. Orchestra sounds grand, too.

-Ashes of Eternity: This one displays my problems with Twilight of the Gods perfectly, actually. It has this nice heavy intro build up and seamlessly goes over into some nice riffing with Hansi singing along and naturally builds up to the choirs. The moment the chorus kicks in, you "feel" it coming for a lack of better words. With that said, I like this song a lot. The chorus is cool and different than most of their fast songs. It is not some choirs blazing or (extremely) high notes stating the words of the song title, but Hansi singing a catchy line with his "normal" voice for the most part.

-Holy Grail: Indeed an awesome song. My favourite one as of now. It is not a throwback in the way Tanelorn (Into the Void) was though, as I am definitely hearing some modern BG here too. Some parts remind me a bit of Road of no Release (some of the "breakdownish" parts). This is a gem for me too.

-The Throne: Not feeling this one. It is indeed an ANATO-esque song. Maybe it will grow but there are not many hooks that catch my attention so far.

-Sacred Mind: Great song. Intro reminds me a bit of Nightfall songs, and then it kicks into some darker toned metal with some awesome Hansi vocals (really versatile on this song). It kind of has a classic BG feeling in terms of riffing and flow (I am thinking Tales From the Twilight World when I say this), but still feels really fresh (mainly due to the chorus and great build up).

-Miracle Machine: The Queen is strong in this one. Since that is one of favourite bands, I am loving it. Totally different than their usual medieval sounding ballads. It has a sad tone in general, but the chorus has kind of an upbeat almost poppy feeling.

Grand Parade: Well, this caught me offguard initially. I was kind of expecting some ATTWS/WOT type of building up but it is really different. Epic in a refreshing way for them, upbeat with some darker moments troughout the song and fitting of the title Grand Parade.

As for the drumming: I think the drumming is really solid for the most part. Some tasteful moments and always in service of the song, he plays with the band well. But Fredrick never really makes some parts his own, like Thomen did (take the Precious Jerusalem solo and what follows, for example). Thomen made the drums a lead instrument at times, which I love. There are indeed parts that I miss that. Still, I like what he does for the most part here.
OmegaSlayer wrote:Am I the only one that thinks that Ride Into Obsession is the best fast song BG made after Mirror Mirror? :oops:
Nope, I listen to that song very much nowadays. One of their top fast songs for me.

OmegaSlayer

#1169 Post by OmegaSlayer » 20 Jan 2015 16:35

bestpike wrote: Thomen didn't want to quit, he had/has health problems (I'm not clear on what exactly, drugs or some physical problem), the story about different musical directions was just a front. Ride into Obsession is not bad at all, but I wouldn't put it above Punishment Divine :O.
Eheheh
I know that the musical direction is a pr bullshit.
Thomen has had problems playing long tours and stuff and as far as I know he was alcohol addicted after problems with his wife...

The point is that BG is getting less and less a live band.
They all start to get close to 50, Hansi's voice can stand long tours either and this tour is VERY short.

So in my opinion it's time for a reunion. :mrgreen:

Avelar

#1170 Post by Avelar » 20 Jan 2015 16:56

finrod wrote:When I first listened through the album I was, I don't know, completely lost. There was barely anything that really stood out to me. It was too overwhelming, I guess. I've just finished my second listen, and it almost sounds like a completely different album to the one I first heard. Every track is amazing. And I think it will only get better with each successive listen.
Absolutely the same here! This album is very ambitious and 'massive' and is hard to perceive at first, but already the second listen showed me that it is a great album, each song has something to enjoy.

At The Edge Of Time gives me goosebumps and together with intro to Ashes Of Eternity immediately settled in my head. I agree that The Throne is grandiose and has something from ATTWS.

There is so much happening at every moment, I'm yet to find where is this melody https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z0kwDK ... lpage#t=39.

If only production and the album cover where on par with songwriting and musicians' performance...
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.

blindgfan

#1171 Post by blindgfan » 20 Jan 2015 17:43

drummer88 wrote:Well after the first few rounds I'm not as happy as I was with ATEOT. In comparison the new Album lacks great catchy Refrains in most of the Songs. The only Songs that I stick so listen over and over again are the holy grail, sacred mind and the throne. Especially the holy grail is one of the best Songs since NIME and also the first real Speed metal Songs since mirror mirror. Finally a song has some real Speed metal drums again and no disrupting parts that takes the Speed out of the song like in AVITD or in Tanelorn.

Edit: Ashes of Eternity seems to be one of the worst Songs BG has ever written. There is not even a single Special part in this song -.-
Are you kidding? What about Battlefield? Ride into Obsession? How are they not speedy?

Rokubota

#1172 Post by Rokubota » 20 Jan 2015 17:50

so the album is bad and the production is atrocious?

loren

#1173 Post by loren » 20 Jan 2015 17:53

Avelar wrote:
There is so much happening at every moment, I'm yet to find where is this melody https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z0kwDK ... lpage#t=39.
It's from the song Prophecies
https://www.facebook.com/uncertaingreece
http://www.reverbnation.com/uncertain4
One of my bands. Death/progressive metal from Athens, Greece!

drummer88

#1174 Post by drummer88 » 20 Jan 2015 17:57

blindgfan wrote:
drummer88 wrote:Well after the first few rounds I'm not as happy as I was with ATEOT. In comparison the new Album lacks great catchy Refrains in most of the Songs. The only Songs that I stick so listen over and over again are the holy grail, sacred mind and the throne. Especially the holy grail is one of the best Songs since NIME and also the first real Speed metal Songs since mirror mirror. Finally a song has some real Speed metal drums again and no disrupting parts that takes the Speed out of the song like in AVITD or in Tanelorn.

Are you kidding? What about Battlefield? Ride into Obsession? How are they not speedy?
Well, Battlefield is not really a Speed metal song at all. It might hast some "faster" parts but still as a whole not even near a Speed metal song. Ride Into Obsession has of course Speed but it's often interrupted by parts that take the Dynamics out of it. Holy Grail on the other hand is the first song for a long time that has uncompromising Speed from start till end. If you listen carefully to the faster Songs on the last Album, you will hear, that they always lack the typical fast drumbeats as on the older Albums.

ErHaO

#1175 Post by ErHaO » 20 Jan 2015 18:18

Avelar wrote:
It is present in prophecies (1:54)

ErHaO

#1176 Post by ErHaO » 20 Jan 2015 18:20

ErHaO wrote:
Avelar wrote:
It is present in prophecies (1:54)

Edit: beaten quite hard by Loren :P

(edit: quite instead of edit :oops: )
Last edited by ErHaO on 20 Jan 2015 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

Andreas

#1177 Post by Andreas » 20 Jan 2015 18:21

OmegaSlayer wrote:Less than 2 minutes to finish DL.
Didn't expect it so soon at all.
I don't feel guilty since the record has been in pre order from November :)
Well, you should feel guilty. You're getting access to their work in a way that they did not intend.

Avelar

#1178 Post by Avelar » 20 Jan 2015 18:32

Right, it is in Prophecies, only sounds differently. I liked this moment in video, would like to hear more of this 'groovy, rough' (don't know right words) sound in the song. Anyway I like Prophecies very much, it's cool how successfully they integrated Control The Divine melody here and gave it a new life.
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.

Rokubota

#1179 Post by Rokubota » 20 Jan 2015 18:35

I'm listening to it right now and the production is pretty bad, holy shit people didn't lie or exaggerated one bit about it. These guys are definitely deaf.

The songs are boring so far and too progressive for my taste.

Wizard's Crown

#1180 Post by Wizard's Crown » 20 Jan 2015 18:51

Avelar wrote:Right, it is in Prophecies, only sounds differently. I liked this moment in video, would like to hear more of this 'groovy, rough' (don't know right words) sound in the song. Anyway I like Prophecies very much, it's cool how successfully they integrated Control The Divine melody here and gave it a new life.
Am I wrong or there's a similarity between the chorus of prophecies and the chorus of turn the page? In prophecies the part I'm talking about the lyrics are "once upon a dream ago (?) " and in turn the page "turn the wheel again"..am I the only one hearing it?

Rokubota

#1181 Post by Rokubota » 20 Jan 2015 19:14

It's a more ambitious album than the last one for sure.

drummer88

#1182 Post by drummer88 » 20 Jan 2015 19:28

Rokubota wrote:It's a more ambitious album than the last one for sure.
Yes definatly. On ATEOT the Songs were less stuffed with numerours different layers of melodies. But this fact made the last Album to a better live Album. The Songs were structured in a very clear way and the Songs always found a better way to prepare the way into the Chorus, which in most Songs really stood out and were a good anchor in the song. I'm slowly getting more into the structures and melodies of the new Album, but it takes quite Long. Even longer than with ANATO. I'm really eager to know which Songs they are going to Play live. In the Trailer we saw that they rehearsed ninth wave, sacred mind and prophecies. I really hop they'll also play holy grail,because I has the most live potential.

Rokubota

#1183 Post by Rokubota » 20 Jan 2015 19:55

Andre's solo in The Throne is quite awesome, super expressive guitar playing right there.

ErHaO

#1184 Post by ErHaO » 20 Jan 2015 19:57

ATEOT indeed had some songs that worked (will work) really well live. As for this album, I indeed think Holy Grail has the most potential. I really hope they play that one as many people seem to be fond of it. Songs like ATEOT, Ninth Wave and Grand Parade are great, but I do not think those will translate well to a live setting. For one song during the show it may work (like they did with WOT last time around), but I have no interest in the band playing along with an orchestral CD all the time.

bestpike

#1185 Post by bestpike » 20 Jan 2015 20:52

I just listened to the Ninth Wave, holy shit it's good.
Forever to be free

Orodaran

#1186 Post by Orodaran » 20 Jan 2015 21:17

Not listening, not downloading lalalalala 8)

And guys, please, don't ask for links... if in 2015 you have to get help to find leaked stuff, you don't deserve to hear it :P
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Feanor l'invincible

#1187 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 20 Jan 2015 21:19

THERE'S A RED, THERE'S A RED, THERE'S A RED DOOR :shock:
THE CURSE OF FEANOR RUNS LONG!

OmegaSlayer

#1188 Post by OmegaSlayer » 20 Jan 2015 21:21

Many listenings today.
The Ninth Wave, At The Edge Of Time and Grand Parade go straight with Wheel Of Time...in the group of BG songs that I like less of all times.
Those are 4 songs that don't even get remotely close to And Then There Was Silence.

This record for me is The Throne, Prophecies and Sacred Mind that go instead in the top 10.
Miracle Machine is excellent.

Gandalf de Grijze

#1189 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 20 Jan 2015 21:52

to me TOTG and Ashes of Eternity are the weakest songs on the album...
LOVE Ninth Wave, ATEOT, The Holy Grail, The Throne and The Grand Parade!

The choirs in Ninth Wave remind me of certain parts of LOTR/Hobbit soundtracks... not in the sense of melodies, but definately in the sense of feeling and ambiance...

Also: Miracle Machine is reminding me of Queen's Miracle in more than just the word miracle ;) (and it is a great ballad)

Feanor l'invincible

#1190 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 20 Jan 2015 21:59

Sacred Mind's chorus is so damn good that they did it 4 times :lol:
THE CURSE OF FEANOR RUNS LONG!

ErHaO

#1191 Post by ErHaO » 20 Jan 2015 22:18

The only song I do not like is the Throne so far. Twilight of the Gods and Ninth Wave are lower tier, the rest is really excellent. Top three is Holy Grail, Prophecies and Sacred Mind as of now.

Looking forward very much to those two bonus tracks (alltough I refuse to believe Distant Memories is really a bonustrack halfway the concept album) and having the lyrics and liner notes/artwork to make something of the story.

OmegaSlayer

#1192 Post by OmegaSlayer » 20 Jan 2015 22:35

ErHaO wrote:The only song I do not like is the Throne so far.
Dude, download it again, your version must be broken :shock:

Gandalf de Grijze

#1193 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 20 Jan 2015 22:40

OmegaSlayer wrote:
ErHaO wrote:The only song I do not like is the Throne so far.
Dude, download it again, your version must be broken :shock:
:!:

Rokubota

#1194 Post by Rokubota » 20 Jan 2015 22:44

ATOET is a very good song, very operatic and Hansi is great in it. Holy Grail has a Testament vibe to it( FTTB), very cool song indeed.

TOTG is crap in comparison with the rest of the album IMO and can't understand why is in the record. The Throne and Sacred Mind are the songs that i liked the most so far.

There's a lot of fresh ideas here, no doubt.

bestpike

#1195 Post by bestpike » 20 Jan 2015 23:23

I did not expect much from this album, but from the initial listen this thing has the potential of going higher than ATEOT. Need more listens, and the lyrics!
Forever to be free

T3hOverlord

#1196 Post by T3hOverlord » 20 Jan 2015 23:50

This album is fucking incredible, but it will only reach its full potential once its reworked in like 5-10 years. I agree that it sounds like a combo of twist in the myth and at the edge of time. Thats the first impression I got from it listening to it last night. This album basically defines Blind Guardian's 21st century sound.

Grand Parade, I have a feeling, would be incredible, if I could actually understand what the fuck is going on in it. The production makes it sound like mush.

bestpike

#1197 Post by bestpike » 21 Jan 2015 00:04

Prophecies has a small riff stolen from Road of No Release, which in turn had the ending stolen from Noldor. Easter egg? lol
Forever to be free

loren

#1198 Post by loren » 21 Jan 2015 00:19

bestpike wrote:Prophecies has a small riff stolen from Road of No Release, which in turn had the ending stolen from Noldor. Easter egg? lol
If you're refering to the chorus of Prophecies, then, you mean it has the same riff with Control The Divine (not Road of No Release) and it has been stated quite a few times allready, here on the forum, on this thread. It was mentioned even when a trailer, that had this segment, went online.
https://www.facebook.com/uncertaingreece
http://www.reverbnation.com/uncertain4
One of my bands. Death/progressive metal from Athens, Greece!

blindgfan

#1199 Post by blindgfan » 21 Jan 2015 00:25

Rokubota wrote:ATOET is a very good song, very operatic and Hansi is great in it. Holy Grail has a Testament vibe to it( FTTB), very cool song indeed.

TOTG is crap in comparison with the rest of the album IMO and can't understand why is in the record. The Throne and Sacred Mind are the songs that i liked the most so far.

There's a lot of fresh ideas here, no doubt.

TOTG being the worst song gives a pleasant feeling, just like Final Frontier.

bestpike

#1200 Post by bestpike » 21 Jan 2015 00:40

loren wrote:
bestpike wrote:Prophecies has a small riff stolen from Road of No Release, which in turn had the ending stolen from Noldor. Easter egg? lol
If you're refering to the chorus of Prophecies, then, you mean it has the same riff with Control The Divine (not Road of No Release) and it has been stated quite a few times allready, here on the forum, on this thread. It was mentioned even when a trailer, that had this segment, went online.
And I made the same mistake again earlier in the thread even. Thanks for the correction.
Forever to be free