Blind Guardian's 10th Album, "Beyond the Red Mirror"

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
ErHaO

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

#1101 Post by ErHaO » 17 Jan 2015 12:26

I agree with your lyrics and agree it does not sound like the final chapter of the concept based on the lyrics (which is Grand Parade, if the story is told chronologically). At the Edge of Time or Ninth Wave I'd say, I am leaning more towards the latter.

Dragonfly

#1102 Post by Dragonfly » 17 Jan 2015 12:44

Guys, that's 'Grand Parade'. I asked a person who got a chance to listen to the entire album by accident, and he said it comes from 'Grand Parade'. And that is quite fitting, if you ask me.
As for those lyrics... to me it sounds like 'I don't look back this morning'. Just saying :D.
Last edited by Dragonfly on 17 Jan 2015 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

priderock

#1103 Post by priderock » 17 Jan 2015 12:53

Hi to all of you, guys! I just saw your questions about which song this is...in a lot of interviews it was said that only At The Edge Of Time song was recorded in the previous hall(for ATEOT album), and from what we've heard from the last trailer, that song is played right in this hall.., and that would mean that the song is At The Edge Of Time.., or at least that's what makes sence...
And, on the other hand, is it really possible the final of the best song of the album(as they said) to be just published on some trailer before the album is out...I mean that this would be the most stupiest thing I have ever heard, listen and so on...it's like releasing the final 10 minutes of a movie in its trailer...Seriously...is that possible???

I love the guys, but this would be an amazing pain for the fans...No words if that's the truth...

Dragonfly

#1104 Post by Dragonfly » 17 Jan 2015 13:15

I thought it was a different hall in the video, frankly speaking.

Feanor l'invincible

#1105 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 17 Jan 2015 13:26

André was introducing the song by saying "... and we wrote a very epic song" then just after there's a sample.. André didn't mean Ninth Wave or At the Edge of Time for sure.

As for the story telling, Hansi confirmed in an interview that it's going to be an open ending and "Doom" is supposed to be a sequel, so maybe at the end a mirror appears, the young boy walks to the portal.. and then ... wait another 20 years to know what happened. :roll:

I agree with Priderock in terms of giving us the end of Grand Parade in a trailer as the worst marketing idea in the music industry but still hoping for more surprising content on the album than what we actually heard on trailers.
THE CURSE OF FEANOR RUNS LONG!

Dragonfly

#1106 Post by Dragonfly » 17 Jan 2015 13:36

I just hope it's not the end of the song but some different part. Remember, one of the reviewers said that 'Grand Parade' features a dramatic change of mood before the first guitar solo I guess, so it might be that part.

ErHaO

#1107 Post by ErHaO » 17 Jan 2015 13:57

Is Doom really supossed to be a sequel/epilogue kind of song?
Dragonfly wrote:Guys, that's 'Grand Parade'. I asked a person who got a chance to listen to the entire album by accident, and he said it comes from 'Grand Parade'. And that is quite fitting, if you ask me.
As for those lyrics... to me it sounds like 'I don't look back this morning'. Just saying :D.
Well, then that settles it I guess :P

Did not know the story was open ended, so in that case the they will return line makes sense in a cliffhanger way (or maybe the song follows up on this). Stupid marketing aside, the line does sound like a quality ending to a song to me.

Guardian'86

#1108 Post by Guardian'86 » 17 Jan 2015 15:48

Just pre-ordered the digibook edition!! Can't wait !

residentour

#1109 Post by residentour » 18 Jan 2015 02:13

Here is 10 seconds of "Grand Parade - [vocals only]" ripped&processed with combining 2 trailers:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49863600/vocals.mp3

JazzJackrabbit

#1110 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 18 Jan 2015 06:13

priderock wrote:And, on the other hand, is it really possible the final of the best song of the album(as they said) to be just published on some trailer before the album is out...I mean that this would be the most stupiest thing I have ever heard, listen and so on...it's like releasing the final 10 minutes of a movie in its trailer...Seriously...is that possible???
I guess you never saw this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MY7dG7No84

priderock

#1111 Post by priderock » 18 Jan 2015 07:27

JazzJackrabbit wrote:
priderock wrote:And, on the other hand, is it really possible the final of the best song of the album(as they said) to be just published on some trailer before the album is out...I mean that this would be the most stupiest thing I have ever heard, listen and so on...it's like releasing the final 10 minutes of a movie in its trailer...Seriously...is that possible???
I guess you never saw this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MY7dG7No84

The difference is more than big I think! It's just the vocals, not the final product, not the choral parts and so on... :? :|
Btw, I have to dammit that Hansi's voice has never been better...I always knew he has those operatic skills...but seriously..never expected this range, that you can hear on the last song in the video! Just blow away all things musical wise I have ever heard

Orodaran

#1112 Post by Orodaran » 18 Jan 2015 13:39

Well, problem solved for me anyway, as much as I'm excited about the release and I know I will buy it right away first chance I get, I find myself strangely aphatic to the trailers and the clips... I've literally heard ONCE Twilight of the Gods, and never even bothered to watch the trailers. I'll have a full, untainted listening experience without expectations or memories of clips coming back 8)
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

crzgfx

#1113 Post by crzgfx » 18 Jan 2015 14:27

priderock wrote:
JazzJackrabbit wrote:

The difference is more than big I think! It's just the vocals, not the final product, not the choral parts and so on... :? :|
Btw, I have to dammit that Hansi's voice has never been better...I always knew he has those operatic skills...but seriously..never expected this range, that you can hear on the last song in the video! Just blow away all things musical wise I have ever heard
I guess you never saw the vocal range video of his: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXu79ysIXTM

Well, actually, NIME has been the rangiest album so far. Just watch this video and see how he expanded his range around 1992, reached his peak between 1995 and 2001...he still hits some of those high notes, in TOtG he actually sang up to a G#5. Right now, he is in excellent shape regarding the range and tone of his vocals!

About the 5th trailer: The song at the beginning HAS to be the Ninth Wave. Those dystopian/new music elements strongly point in that direction. About the parts later on: I really don't know. :D

priderock

#1114 Post by priderock » 18 Jan 2015 15:12

Yeah, amazing!!!! About TOTG, yes, the high tones are really outstanding, especially the ones right in the beginning! But I really mean the vocal lines as the one in 4:10! It's really deep and it sounds like a wind...what's the music term for this one? I've never heard Kursch doing something like this before! Hope he'll do that again!

ErHaO

#1115 Post by ErHaO » 18 Jan 2015 17:16

I think Hansi sounds great on Twilight of the Gods and based on the trailers I am expecting a lot from his vocal performance. I just hope they do not bury every vocal line in a layer of a hundred hansis and choirs this time around, but the single and trailers give me a good impression that they will not go overboard with this.

I never expect him to top Nightfall, in which he still has his early Imaginations brutal sound but also nailed the soft melodic parts together with some great harmonies. One of the best albums ever in respect to metal vocals (and one of the best albums ever in general, offcourse :P). He does sound different nowadays, but in respect to their changed songwriting this works very well. And the guy still has plenty of power.

I am curious how he will be live during the coming tour.

His harsh vocals were great during his few performances last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KW_OJ8m3pg Awesome Time what is Time performance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpDNB_UxCGU Making the Doro performance that much better

Offcourse he is not really consistent in a live setting, so well hear.

JazzJackrabbit

#1116 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 18 Jan 2015 20:19

It still amazes me to this day that Hansi managed to keep his voice after recording NIME.

Angus

#1117 Post by Angus » 19 Jan 2015 05:58

Totally, Noldor would result in an ordinary singer vomiting his shredded larynx.

ErHaO

#1118 Post by ErHaO » 19 Jan 2015 14:17

Yeah, I would love to have some vocal only tracks of that album. Wish BG would release the seperate tracks on jammit like Dream Theater did, to play around with the songs.

Dream Theater example/samples: http://www.jammit.com/artist/dream-theater Even though it is a bit expensive, I would buy some tracks without a doubt in the case of BG.

Wizard's Crown

#1119 Post by Wizard's Crown » 19 Jan 2015 21:28

So I guess that this Friday maybe we get some samples from all the songs as they did in the previous album? :lol:

Qtulhu

#1120 Post by Qtulhu » 19 Jan 2015 23:52

Wizard's Crown wrote:So I guess that this Friday maybe we get some samples from all the songs as they did in the previous album? :lol:
I doubt that. Their record label is not doing such thing anymore. They actually try to prevent such thing from happening. On the other hand, maybe they will upload lyric video of another song into Youtube. That would be even better. Or perhaps we will get nothing until the album's release.

Gandalf de Grijze

#1121 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 19 Jan 2015 23:57

Qtulhu wrote:
Wizard's Crown wrote:So I guess that this Friday maybe we get some samples from all the songs as they did in the previous album? :lol:
I doubt that. Their record label is not doing such thing anymore. They actually try to prevent such thing from happening. On the other hand, maybe they will upload lyric video of another song into Youtube. That would be even better. Or perhaps we will get nothing until the album's release.
Considering we already had the lyric video for TOTG, I doubt another one will appear...
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Umex

#1122 Post by Umex » 20 Jan 2015 00:07

I kinda heard from the interwebs that things have l3aked. Is that true?

Traveller in Time

#1123 Post by Traveller in Time » 20 Jan 2015 00:28

Umex wrote:I kinda heard from the interwebs that things have l3aked. Is that true?
It seems so :(
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Dragonfly

#1124 Post by Dragonfly » 20 Jan 2015 01:47

Yes, that's true. Just saw that.

Feanor l'invincible

#1125 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 20 Jan 2015 01:57

At least, it's not like when A Twist in the Myth leaked.. someone reminds me? a month before or so?

Ryu

#1126 Post by Ryu » 20 Jan 2015 02:12

Man...

Here we go.

Giving it a spin

Halfway through The Ninth Wave, this is...different. I am definitely noticing what's been said about the production. It'll take some adjusting, but this is the sound they wanted.

Finishing The Ninth Wave, I will allow that it's a stronger opener than Sacred Worlds. The choirs are magnificent, and that's not to be understated. Hansi's vocals are awful low and raspy at points - again, not inherently a negative. It sets a different mood than we're used to. Very, very progressive track and also one I can see them opening shows with. After the initial choirs there's sort of a triumphant/fist-pumping marching-ish pounding rhythm. A surprisingly uplifting, sing-songy chorus. Reminds me of Kamelot actually, The Black Halo era.

Prophecies is the song with the Control the Divine riff. This is a throwback to ANATO/Twist, a perfect wedding of them, but better than all but This Will Never End. "Be eternal, be infernal, will we ever see the light again" is in this song.

The song we were all convinced was "Grand Parade" is indeed "At the Edge of Time". You guys haven't had any of Grand Parade spoiled. ;)

The Throne is huge, hard to really wrap my head around on first listen. Sort of "ANATO for 2015"
Last edited by Ryu on 20 Jan 2015 02:57, edited 8 times in total.
Defiant of destiny

Dragonfly

#1127 Post by Dragonfly » 20 Jan 2015 02:16

Ryu wrote:Man...

Here we go.

Giving it a spin
Make sure to share your impressions then :). Time to sleep here. Good night!

notimportant

#1128 Post by notimportant » 20 Jan 2015 02:42

9/10 songwriting, 1/10 production

Ryu

#1129 Post by Ryu » 20 Jan 2015 02:51

notimportant wrote:9/10 songwriting, 1/10 production
a shame about that really, it's such a busy record with some squandered potential
Defiant of destiny

Feanor l'invincible

#1130 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 20 Jan 2015 03:05

After a first ear making sure to not spoil a lot: BUT SPOILER ALERT!

- The Ninth Wave: Weird, too weird, I had a lot of Demons & Wizards feelings, even some Grave Digger.

- Prophecies: Nice chorus even if the lead reminds of Control the Divine.. definitely an ANATO feeling, epic ending.

- At The Edge of Time: Never heard this kind of progressive, maybe Sonata Arctica? not much guitar.. orchestral stuff wins :roll: COMPLICATED, epic ending.

- Ashes of Eternity: I Do not have an opinion, first listen didn't give me the chills. I'm not sure about this one for now...

- Holy Grail: After 5 songs, here comes the first "best" song.. I'm in love. (Journey through the dark and company should be jealous..)

- The Throne: This one I have the feeling it's going to grow in me faster than light! wow andré's solos, hansi's singing.. this is the BG I fell in love with as a young boy :cry: oh gosh.. epicness. (this has more guitar stuff than At the edge of time the song)

- Sacred Mind: OK! Progressive! this is a madness of riffs, this has to be the "SHUT-UP-AND-DONT-TELL-US-WE-DONT-KNOW-HOW-TO-MAKE-METAL-ANYMORE" .. oh man, this is a combination of good metal I've been listening to here and there.. A METAL MASTERPIECE!

- Miracle Machine : Sad ballad with positive parts, I'm glad this is not medieval, this is.. definitely not a ballad like they write every album! I'm surprised! It's like they tried to write a mature "Black Chamber" after all these years 8)

- Grand Parade: I'm not going to listen to it for now.

It was 1 listen each song! We will be discussing more as the days go by.. !

Feanor l'invincible

#1131 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 20 Jan 2015 03:06

Agree.

blindgfan

#1132 Post by blindgfan » 20 Jan 2015 03:12

I have yet to find any flaws in production... I would have been better off not knowing there were any )

Ryu

#1133 Post by Ryu » 20 Jan 2015 03:14

blindgfan wrote:
I have yet to find any flaws in production... I would have been better off not knowing there were any )
I don't agree it's a 1/10, I'm just upset every time the drums are drowned and swept away by how massive everything else is

Hansi's also sort of swept up and indecipherable at times
Defiant of destiny

Wizard's Crown

#1134 Post by Wizard's Crown » 20 Jan 2015 03:24

So the "Control the Divine" part is indeed a new song...

ErHaO

#1135 Post by ErHaO » 20 Jan 2015 03:27

I was too weak guys, already listening it :oops: (at least they got my money already :) )

Impressions after two full back to back listenings:

+It feels like a middleway ANATO and ATITM with some Demons & Wizards and a tad of Nightfall thrown in, but really has it's own identity. Lack of inspiration are not the words here. Some real fresh and weird stuff for them, love it!
+I do not hear the same pacing problems as the Twilight of the Gods for most of the album. The writing is tight and precise for the most part and flows well. There is a shitload of stuff going on though, so this album needs some sinking time I think.
+Most of the choruses are not their usual stuff. Definately some interesting and fresh ones here!
+Hansi is goddamn awesome on this record.
+Andre has really awesome leads and solos. His amazing sense of melody shines trough pretty often.
+Some of their most epic songs are present on this record. It has this ANATO way of feeling larger than life without coming off like a cheesy parody on fantasy (like a lot of PM bands do).

-The album has a bit too few resting points for me, much like ANATO. Not a problem for most I think, more of a total album pacing problem (I would like another Miracle Machine kind of song thrown in halfway, for example).
-The production is indeed bad. When all things go blazing with the orchestra's, choirs and the band stuff can become messy. I did get used to it more the second time around though, but it takes time. Here's hoping that the vinyl will sound better here.
-Is it me, or are there some volume fluctuations here and there? (much like Memories of a Time to Come)

Long term is unpredictable, but I think this one is a stayer for me. If I know the songs better I will probably review the songs separately.

Ryu

#1136 Post by Ryu » 20 Jan 2015 03:29

ErHaO wrote:I was too weak guys, already listening it :oops: (at least they got my money already :) )

Impressions after two full back to back listenings:

+It feels like a middleway ANATO and ATITM with some Demons & Wizards and a tad of Nightfall thrown in, but really has it's own identity. Lack of inspiration are not the words here. Some real fresh and weird stuff for them, love it!
+I do not hear the same pacing problems as the Twilight of the Gods for most of the album. The writing is tight and precise for the most part and flows well. There is a shitload of stuff going on though, so this album needs some sinking time I think.
+Most of the choruses are not their usual stuff. Definately some interesting and fresh ones here!
+Hansi is goddamn awesome on this record.
+Andre has really awesome leads and solos. His amazing sense of melody shines trough pretty often.
+Some of their most epic songs are present on this record. It has this ANATO way of feeling larger than life without coming off like a cheesy parody on fantasy (like a lot of PM bands do).

-The album has a bit too few resting points for me, much like ANATO. Not a problem for most I think, more of a total album pacing problem (I would like another Miracle Machine kind of song thrown in halfway, for example).
-The production is indeed bad. When all things go blazing with the orchestra's, choirs and the band stuff can become messy. I did get used to it more the second time around though, but it takes time. Here's hoping that the vinyl will sound better here.
-Is it me, or are there some volume fluctuations here and there? (much like Memories of a Time to Come)

Long term is unpredictable, but I think this one is a stayer for me. If I know the songs better I will probably review the songs separately.
Perhaps Distant Memories (whenever we get it) will be the pace shift I agree we need

Also, merciful fate, the Prophecies chorus is gorgeous eargasm fuel; and it goes without saying The Holy Grail is the immediate standout classic here, the only song that doesn't require much ruminating over

I really feel like "Midtempo Song" was probably "The Ninth Wave"
Defiant of destiny

blindgfan

#1137 Post by blindgfan » 20 Jan 2015 04:37

Does ATEOT have a chorus? I am lost in it.

Ryu

#1138 Post by Ryu » 20 Jan 2015 04:43

blindgfan wrote:Does ATEOT have a chorus? I am lost in it.
Good question, every time I listen to it I feel like I'm not clinging to any aspect of it

Edit: sounds like the chorus around 3:57. This is a challenging song, it sort of just feels like an epic cinematic piece that just continuously builds upon itself

We need lyrics.
Defiant of destiny

Wizard's Crown

#1139 Post by Wizard's Crown » 20 Jan 2015 05:01

Is it me or Twilight of the Gods is the weakest song of the album?

blindgfan

#1140 Post by blindgfan » 20 Jan 2015 05:17

Wizard's Crown wrote:Is it me or Twilight of the Gods is the weakest song of the album?
Is it me or does every song sound awesome yet at the same time it causes a headache? Maybe it hasn't sunk in yet. Maybe the production.

Ryu

#1141 Post by Ryu » 20 Jan 2015 05:28

Interesting observation: The Ninth Wave's lyrics refer to "neon gods"; Neon God was a prospective song title for an ATITM track about 9 years ago.

;o
Defiant of destiny

Zhuge Liang

#1142 Post by Zhuge Liang » 20 Jan 2015 05:31

1 play through. Reserving judgement. A lot to take in.
"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." -Zhuge Liang

Ryu

#1143 Post by Ryu » 20 Jan 2015 06:03

I'm enjoying Prophecies quite a bit so here's my attempt at some lyrics:

I can see a crow on your judgement day
Seems like a summon
Please come over don't come over please come over
Welcome the last day of our lives

So break the cycle
(?) tearing down
And as we break the cycle
But there is no return, no return

We shall overcome
We will bring you back to a moment in time
We will reveal and detect what you are
Precious truth in a cage
It has been captured but safe
And now we'll bind it and blind it with lies
The king will come

(?) He is the center of creation
The prophecy is a promise to us all

(Chorus)
A crow, a storm
Shadows will be rising soon
A crow, a storm
(?) Once a upon a dream ago
We're the ones you've left alone

Now as we speak there's a way there's a door
Come find us and join us
Come see it and feel it
(?)
You shall be fallen
Your mind's still trapped in twilight
Now catch a glimpse
Shall I get through?

They've walked on to the other side
But I could not know
I'm drowning, drowning, where do I belong
Drowning shadows
I am the center of creation
The prophecy, it's a promise to us all

(Chorus)

Don't blame me, don't blame me
It's (my lie in tone?)
The crow and the hare
They move further in to the unknown

All my words they will be gone
You'll see them playing games
My dear

They've moved along
'Cause one day in the afterlife we'll meet again
I'm frowning, frowning on your judgement day

They are shadows
They're in the center of creation
The prophecy it's promised to us all

(Chorus)

But don't be afraid
There's more beyond the red door
And please ignore their pleas
Just break the seal
Break the seal, find the red door
(There's a red there's a red there's a red door)
Break the seal find the red door
Be eternal, be infernal be eternal we shall never get it back
Be eternal, be infernal be eternal will we ever see the light again?
Defiant of destiny

OmegaSlayer

#1144 Post by OmegaSlayer » 20 Jan 2015 06:16

Less than 2 minutes to finish DL.
Didn't expect it so soon at all.
I don't feel guilty since the record has been in pre order from November :)

Umex

#1145 Post by Umex » 20 Jan 2015 06:37

Aww man, I hate you guys/gals. Saw the spoiler before going to bed and I have to read all this right before driving to work. What in the nine hells should I listen to on my commute?! Nailbiting?! :)

T3hOverlord

#1146 Post by T3hOverlord » 20 Jan 2015 07:00

I know we cant link the leak here but can someone pm me or give me a hint as to where I can find it????

wade-newb

#1147 Post by wade-newb » 20 Jan 2015 07:09

The website hasitleaked refers to the website where it leaked, but there's still a bit more jumping to do. I'm downloading right now! Hope it works. I also hope the backpackers' internet holds out.
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

T3hOverlord

#1148 Post by T3hOverlord » 20 Jan 2015 07:11

nvm got it, saving it for when my buddy gets off work. holy fuck

edit: i found a 320kbps torrent if you skim through a couple google search pages

Zhuge Liang

#1149 Post by Zhuge Liang » 20 Jan 2015 07:14

Wizard's Crown wrote:Is it me or Twilight of the Gods is the weakest song of the album?
That'd be fine by me, I think Twilight is a solid song. Only time will tell, though.
"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." -Zhuge Liang

OmegaSlayer

#1150 Post by OmegaSlayer » 20 Jan 2015 07:54

Definitely Twilight IS indeed the worse song.
By a mile, I should say.
My opinion is that sometimes the guys wanted to try a bit harder and some thing don't sound spontaneous at all.
The record is great anyway, but the production butchers it.
It IS THAT BAD.
In some parts it's a chore to listen to it.

I found loads of nods to past records in vocal and guitar lines.
Probably that's a choice.
A welcome one if I say mine.

I will go on song reviews when they grow more, but for now I'm liking more the ones that haven't been hyped to the border of the universe and more, like "The Throne"