Blind Guardian's 10th Album, "Beyond the Red Mirror"

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
OmegaSlayer

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

#901 Post by OmegaSlayer » 23 Dec 2014 08:58

I don't think it's compression.
From ToTG single I realized it's way too heavy on mid frequencies.
Mid frequencies mudden the sound, they make it more a wall of sound but way less defined.
The gear BG guys use also don't help.
The use EMG pickups on their guitars which are a bit muddy by nature, especially if Andrè now uses a 7 string.
They should have used Bare Knuckle, or Seymour Duncan pickups instead if they aimed for a modern sound and keeping their details and textures.
I also think they should drop Charlie Bauerfiend as a sound engineer.
Charlie is a great sound engineer and proved it on maaaaaaaaaaaaaany records, still he never really nailed the sound BG needed, and it's impressive that Flemming Rasmussen nailed the BG sound 20 years ago on Somewhere and Imaginations.
What often goes unnoticed is how important Marcus is in the economy of BG.
His rythmic precision, note attack, consistence and interesting voicing solutions is astonishing to say the least, he's a good 60% of BG sound live.
Charlie Bauerfiend's productions killed all the power and DRIVE Marcus brought to BG and that's a shame.

loren

#902 Post by loren » 23 Dec 2014 14:53

Flemming Rasmussen worked on Imaginations (production, including mixing/mastering) and on Nightfall (he did some mixing, recording and engineering. On that record there were a lot of people working. It was the first time Charlie Bauerfiend was in a BG production).

Somewhere Far Beyond was Kalle Trap only.
https://www.facebook.com/uncertaingreece
http://www.reverbnation.com/uncertain4
One of my bands. Death/progressive metal from Athens, Greece!

OmegaSlayer

#903 Post by OmegaSlayer » 23 Dec 2014 17:43

Right, Kalle Trap.
Still better than Charlie imho :)

Traveller in Time

#904 Post by Traveller in Time » 23 Dec 2014 21:10

I preferred Flemming Rasmussen a lot, but i also have to say that Charlie did some great work on other albums (i.e. for Lingua Mortis Orchestra, Rage, Saxon, Helloween). I guess that's how BG want to sound today, let's face it.

ah and btw those coloured vinyl madness of 'Beyond the Red mirror' is continueing:
now there is:
- red
- blue
- black
- picture
- splatter
- gold (silver costumers only, NB)
- silver (EMP only)
- orange
- purple
- white
- yellow

well i guess even i won't buy all.... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Traveller in Time on 23 Dec 2014 23:55, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Dragonfly

#905 Post by Dragonfly » 23 Dec 2014 21:23

Traveller in Time wrote:I preffered Flemming Rasmussen a lot, but i also ahve to say that Charlie did some great work on other albums (i.e. for Lingua Mortis Orchestra, Rage, Saxon, Helloween). I guess that's how BG want to sound today, let's face it.

ah and btw those coloured vinyl madness of 'Beyond the Red mirror' is continueing:
now there is:
- red
- blue
- black
- picture
- splatter
- gold (silver costumers only, NB)
- silver (EMP only)
- orange
- purple
- white
- yellow

well i guess even i won't buy all.... :mrgreen:
One has to be a fucking Abramovich to buy them all... and have quite a bit of free space at home, too. And I still don't know where to put my (I hope) earbook...
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

OmegaSlayer

#906 Post by OmegaSlayer » 23 Dec 2014 21:45

Traveller in Time wrote:I preffered Flemming Rasmussen a lot, but i also ahve to say that Charlie did some great work on other albums (i.e. for Lingua Mortis Orchestra, Rage, Saxon, Helloween). I guess that's how BG want to sound today, let's face it.
That's exactly the point.
Charlie is a friggin' competent sound engineer, but with BG the sound he "forges" hasn't the drive it should, especially in regards to Marcus' guitars.
It lacks the groove BG have live.
Marcus live is a machine gun, you don't even hear the touch of the guitar pick on the strings, you just hear the note clean and powerful.
In BG you often listen to Andrè's cool leads but Marcus' guitar work is essential and it should need to be more in front in the studio production.

Traveller in Time

#907 Post by Traveller in Time » 23 Dec 2014 23:41

Dragonfly wrote: One has to be a fucking Abramovich to buy them all... and have quite a bit of free space at home, too. And I still don't know where to put my (I hope) earbook...
Yeah with a price of 20 - 30 euros per version it is really ou of reach and i forgot to mention the single vinyls of TOTG ;)

OmegaSlayer

#908 Post by OmegaSlayer » 24 Dec 2014 09:25

Did someone ordered the CD version with the Mirror as a gift?

Traveller in Time

#909 Post by Traveller in Time » 25 Dec 2014 14:44

OmegaSlayer wrote:Did someone ordered the CD version with the Mirror as a gift?
Jup

OmegaSlayer

#910 Post by OmegaSlayer » 25 Dec 2014 20:15

I would have gladly forked the money for that version if the CD would have had Doom.

Traveller in Time

#911 Post by Traveller in Time » 26 Dec 2014 00:53

I will buy both, that's the only positive reason for their 4 years releasing politics, you don't spend so much money every year ;)
Maybe Doom can be bought sperately (i guess later on a second single) or as mp3

Feanor l'invincible

#912 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 26 Dec 2014 19:30

No trailer today? I thought they'd release a trailer every friday until the album is out?
THE CURSE OF FEANOR RUNS LONG!

sciacallo010

#913 Post by sciacallo010 » 26 Dec 2014 20:54

Dragonfly wrote: One has to be a fucking Abramovich to buy them all... and have quite a bit of free space at home, too. And I still don't know where to put my (I hope) earbook...
I'm not exactly Abramovich, but...Image
BTW I bought just a bunch of vinyls, but (i'm quite sure) every cd edition :oops:

bard_92

#914 Post by bard_92 » 26 Dec 2014 21:17

Feanor l'invincible wrote:No trailer today? I thought they'd release a trailer every friday until the album is out?
Yeah, but in the last video they wished us Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year which was obvious that they won't publish something new till 2015...
But the good fact is that there're at least 3 more trailer+samples of the songs, which makes me think that once we cross the new year, the're will be no empty Friday ;)

Dragonfly

#915 Post by Dragonfly » 27 Dec 2014 13:43

Traveller in Time wrote:
Yeah with a price of 20 - 30 euros per version it is really ou of reach and i forgot to mention the single vinyls of TOTG ;)
Especially considering that the rouble has suffered a terrible downfall in the recent weeks and has just begun to rehabilitate itself; this financial catastrophe caused the prices to rise almost to the double value, while 1 euro used to be worth about 40-45 Russian roubles it skyrocketed up to 90-110 roubles a couple of weeks ago I guess. That means that the price for the earbook, for example, has also risen dramatically...

I also hoped for a fresh studio trailer, but it's OK - everyone has a right on free holidays :).

OmegaSlayer

#916 Post by OmegaSlayer » 27 Dec 2014 21:47

Yeah but how long are Blind Guardian's holidays? :P

Gandalf de Grijze

#917 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 27 Dec 2014 21:58

Christmas? two days in germany (and several other countries)
So no update yesterday is a well deserved holiday... next friday we'll get a new update for sure...
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Rokubota

#918 Post by Rokubota » 27 Dec 2014 22:30

OmegaSlayer wrote:
Charlie is a friggin' competent sound engineer, but with BG the sound he "forges" hasn't the drive it should, especially in regards to Marcus' guitars.
Marcus live is a machine gun, you don't even hear the touch of the guitar pick on the strings, you just hear the note clean and powerful.
In BG you often listen to Andrè's cool leads but Marcus' guitar work is essential and it should need to be more in front in the studio production.

Marcus parts aren't that hard to play, Feanor is a little tricky here and there but they never played that song live. He's tight as hell and has the best stage presence in the band, but apart from that.

Dragonfly

#919 Post by Dragonfly » 28 Dec 2014 00:21

By the way, samples of the last album were revealed earlier than a month before the actual ATEOT release date. This has me thinking that they should be available pretty soon unless Nuclear Blast has decided to skip that this time around.

bard_92

#920 Post by bard_92 » 28 Dec 2014 13:54

The samples - 1st or 2nd January almost for sure!!! If they'll release them that's just the perfect moment...even the fact that this time I'll try my best to not listen them! :)

Dragonfly

#921 Post by Dragonfly » 28 Dec 2014 17:49

bard_92 wrote:The samples - 1st or 2nd January almost for sure!!! If they'll release them that's just the perfect moment...even the fact that this time I'll try my best to not listen them! :)
Me, too. I want to preserve that feeling of novelty and exciting freshness until I get my hands on the new album. I wish I could refrain from pre-listening to the album's bits and pieces. It may sound bizarre, but I'll be more interested in people's opinions about the samples if they ever get unveiled.

bard_92

#922 Post by bard_92 » 28 Dec 2014 18:02

Dragonfly wrote:
bard_92 wrote:The samples - 1st or 2nd January almost for sure!!! If they'll release them that's just the perfect moment...even the fact that this time I'll try my best to not listen them! :)
Me, too. I want to preserve that feeling of novelty and exciting freshness until I get my hands on the new album. I wish I could refrain from pre-listening to the album's bits and pieces. It may sound bizarre, but I'll be more interested in people's opinions about the samples if they ever get unveiled.
Me too, I'll probably read the comments, but that's all from me this time...I want a virgin album! And I'll do it this time...I waited 4,5years, so I can wait one more month!!! :)

Dragonfly

#923 Post by Dragonfly » 28 Dec 2014 19:32

bard_92 wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:
Me too, I'll probably read the comments, but that's all from me this time...I want a virgin album! And I'll do it this time...I waited 4,5years, so I can wait one more month!!! :)
So far it seems like no one's going to listen to samples... :shock:

bard_92

#924 Post by bard_92 » 28 Dec 2014 21:50

Yes, that would be funny :lol: But I guess that someone has to make the sacrifice, in the name of the forum :roll: :mrgreen:

Dragonfly

#925 Post by Dragonfly » 28 Dec 2014 22:31

By the way, I have just completed my earbook order from Nuclear Blast. Here's to hoping it won't arrive much later than January, 30th...

OmegaSlayer

#926 Post by OmegaSlayer » 28 Dec 2014 23:03

Rokubota wrote:
OmegaSlayer wrote:

Marcus parts aren't that hard to play, Feanor is a little tricky here and there but they never played that song live. He's tight as hell and has the best stage presence in the band, but apart from that.
Listen to Imagination Through The Looking Glass on a good audio system at high volume.
You can definitely hear how Andrè muddens the rhythm tightness when he doubles Marcus.
If you're a guitarist as I understand, you can really hear how Andrè has a worse alternate picking technique than Marcus.
I never said Marcus plays difficult parts (as neither does Andrè), but how he plays them makes the difference.
Then, hey, it works and I like BG for their music and I don't expect to listen to technical death metal, but having Marcus more in the listener's face can only do good.
Go listen to Tales and Somewhere and listen how much more powerful they sounded even without tons of overdubs.
And that, sir, is Marcus' work.

Rokubota

#927 Post by Rokubota » 29 Dec 2014 01:44

Marcus is a beast for sure and he shines during André's solos too, but I don't hear anything especial in the new songs in terms of riffs. What he plays isn't that remarkable to be honest and André's stuff is also uninspired.

OmegaSlayer

#928 Post by OmegaSlayer » 29 Dec 2014 07:57

Rokubota wrote:Marcus is a beast for sure and he shines during André's solos too, but I don't hear anything especial in the new songs in terms of riffs. What he plays isn't that remarkable to be honest and André's stuff is also uninspired.
Oh yeah, we surely agree 100% on this.
There are loads of recycled patterns on different keys.
And that's why I miss Thomen so much, since I thinkk he was the reality check guy.

Dragonfly

#929 Post by Dragonfly » 29 Dec 2014 14:29

http://www.nuclearblaststore.co.uk/ says there will be 48 pages in the earbook edition. Not bad.

Dragonfly

#930 Post by Dragonfly » 29 Dec 2014 16:17

http://www.lastfm.ru/music/Blind+Guardi ... Red+Mirror oh, look, they have the length of "Doom". Is it really that long?

And a new review: http://www.blabbermouth.net/cdreviews/b ... ed-mirror/

blindgfan

#931 Post by blindgfan » 29 Dec 2014 18:12

Dragonfly wrote:http://www.lastfm.ru/music/Blind+Guardi ... Red+Mirror oh, look, they have the length of "Doom". Is it really that long?

And look at "At the Edge of Time"... Is it really that long?

Dragonfly

#932 Post by Dragonfly » 29 Dec 2014 18:19

blindgfan wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:http://www.lastfm.ru/music/Blind+Guardi ... Red+Mirror oh, look, they have the length of "Doom". Is it really that long?

That's why I'm in doubts. "Doom" being that long would practically justify the earbook edition spread over two CDs.

blindgfan

#933 Post by blindgfan » 29 Dec 2014 18:24

Dragonfly wrote:
blindgfan wrote:

That's why I'm in doubts. "Doom" being that long would practically justify the earbook edition spread over two CDs.

I doubt that the bonus track is that long.

blindgfan

#934 Post by blindgfan » 29 Dec 2014 18:28

The reviewer forgot about tracks 8 and 9.

Dragonfly

#935 Post by Dragonfly » 29 Dec 2014 18:38

blindgfan wrote:

The reviewer forgot about tracks 8 and 9.
They often "forget" about certain songs, not everyone delivers a track-by-track review.

Orodaran

#936 Post by Orodaran » 30 Dec 2014 00:16

blindgfan wrote:

"Equally enchanting is "At the Edge of Time", which keeps a frolicking back beat and spritely orchestral accompaniment behind Frederik Ehmke's gradual stamp"

Unless they achieved that in only 50 seconds, I guess no, At the Edge of Time is not as "long" as listed on LastFm.
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Dragonfly

#937 Post by Dragonfly » 30 Dec 2014 00:47

Orodaran wrote:
blindgfan wrote:

"Equally enchanting is "At the Edge of Time", which keeps a frolicking back beat and spritely orchestral accompaniment behind Frederik Ehmke's gradual stamp"

Unless they achieved that in only 50 seconds, I guess no, At the Edge of Time is not as "long" as listed on LastFm.
No no no, it's a 7-minute song :).

Traveller in Time

#938 Post by Traveller in Time » 30 Dec 2014 02:52

bard_92

#939 Post by bard_92 » 30 Dec 2014 21:33

WOW, thanks for the interview and Doom's length!!! The Hype is level: "Untouchable" right now!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

blindgfan

#940 Post by blindgfan » 30 Dec 2014 22:52

bard_92 wrote:WOW, thanks for the interview and Doom's length!!! The Hype is level: "Untouchable" right now!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Where did you see Doom's length?

bard_92

#941 Post by bard_92 » 30 Dec 2014 23:10

Here :) I know it's not confirmed, but at least there is around 70-80% chance this to be true ;)

Dragonfly

#942 Post by Dragonfly » 30 Dec 2014 23:36

bard_92, keep in mind that it's not confirmed yet. It is indeed strange that a bonus track is that long, but I personally wish it was :).

And a sweet little interview with Hansi where he, among other things, tells a story behind one of the new songs:
https://vk.com/doc25734967_354547966?ha ... 5b52d4a7f9
https://vk.com/doc25734967_354548241?ha ... ee8af093c8

blindgfan

#943 Post by blindgfan » 31 Dec 2014 03:38

Dragonfly wrote:bard_92, keep in mind that it's not confirmed yet. It is indeed strange that a bonus track is that long, but I personally wish it was :).

And a sweet little interview with Hansi where he, among other things, tells a story behind one of the new songs:
https://vk.com/doc25734967_354547966?ha ... 5b52d4a7f9
https://vk.com/doc25734967_354548241?ha ... ee8af093c8

So, Camelot Legends is what it's all about!!! How many times has it been done already?

Freak666

#944 Post by Freak666 » 31 Dec 2014 16:28

So King Arthur fighting against Modred via the red mirror.
I don't know if that is what i was looking for.... ^^

bard_92

#945 Post by bard_92 » 31 Dec 2014 16:50

Yes, it's a little strange to me too, for example what might be the connection between the Holy Grail and King Arthur and the Last Supper :/ But who knows, it might be awesome :)

Freak666

#946 Post by Freak666 » 31 Dec 2014 19:10

bard_92 wrote:Yes, it's a little strange to me too, for example what might be the connection between the Holy Grail and King Arthur and the Last Supper :/ But who knows, it might be awesome :)

The concept of mixing existing fantasy novels was already lightly performed in the song "IFTOS".
If this is Hansi's definition of "Fantasy" then it's totally fine for me. He's the mastermind and I fully trust in his vision.

bard_92

#947 Post by bard_92 » 31 Dec 2014 19:17

Yes, you're right! And I have to agree that I like the idea for The Grail and The Last Supper :)

Gandalf de Grijze

#948 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 02 Jan 2015 12:06

CAPSLOCK FRIDAY AND A NEW BG STUDIO CLIP

NEW PARTS OF OTHER SONGS, AND I AM IN LOVE WITH THE NEW ALBUM ALREADY
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Dragonfly

#949 Post by Dragonfly » 02 Jan 2015 12:15

Yeah, and this part seems to focus more on faster songs. I like everything I've heard so far!

bard_92

#950 Post by bard_92 » 02 Jan 2015 12:30

The part from 1:53 is really awesome!!! :)

BEST TRAILER TILL NOW!!! CANT WAIT FOR THE ORCHESTRAL PARTS-MAYBE IN THE NEXT ONE!!! :D
Last edited by bard_92 on 02 Jan 2015 12:51, edited 2 times in total.