Blind Guardian's 10th Album, "Beyond the Red Mirror"

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
ErHaO

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

#851 Post by ErHaO » 13 Dec 2014 03:00

In the case of the Control the Divine riff, I think it is deliberate, as it is basically the same (maybe ATEOT is just what the song name implies with a lot of orchestral elements? :P ). If they go this way, I would love to hear some subtle Bright Eyes and And the Story Ends pieces troughout the album, considering the concept.
bestpike wrote:The way I see it Ateot started the "inspiration drought" era of Blind Guardian, which is basically where every other good band is at (Blind Guardian have innovated themselves more times than any other band I know could ever dream of). This is basically copy yourself a bit, insert a few new bits, and voila a new album. Both Ateot and now Btrd lack the clear vision of the previous albums (I guess they decided to stop that since Atitm actually had a vision, it just wasn't that good). Instead we get this "mix the old with the new" quote on interviews of the last two albums, which doesn't seem very hopeful for the future (not necessarily including the next album). Adding symphonic stuff is good, but it doesn't make a song much better (in my ears).
Save for Tanelorn and maybe Valkyries, each song introduces quite some fresh elements to them, on top of revisiting nearly all their past styles of songs. It could be that we have a different perception of inspiration, but revisiting a certain style while succesfully creating new songs with their own "identity" is not a lack of inspiration to me. If so, I would call Ayreon, Dream Theater, Threshold, Kamelot, Nightwish, Iron Maiden, Queens of the Stone Age etc. (just naming random bands I like) inspirationless for most parts of their careers, while those artists have plenty of fresh albums whilst keeping a trademark style (to varying degrees).

BG did have quite the changes troughout their career offcourse. From Imaginations to ATITM they basically had a completely different sounding album each time. But being inspired is not only about sounding totally different or new ways of songwriting. They can be inspired to add to a certain sound or combine it in new ways. Which they did with ATEOT. Changing your style drastically for the sake of it is not inspiration. In the case of ATITM, I actually think they were a bit uninspired at times as quite some songs have a samish feeling on that album and/or are a bit flat/monotonous in terms of songwriting.

As for symphonic pieces/orchestras contributing to the songs it depends on the type of song. The way they used it in Wheel of Time was really awesome, the song revolves around the orchestra and it pays off. Sacred does not rely on the orchestra in terms of songwriting nearly as much (save for the intro and outro, which are a bit unnecessary), so still sounds a bit more like usual powermetal fare.

JazzJackrabbit

#852 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 13 Dec 2014 19:35

Even if I were to believe their music is uninspired now, it's still pretty damn good music. I'll take BG's uninspired work over a lot of other current band's fresh material these days.

Gandalf de Grijze

#853 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 13 Dec 2014 19:50

JazzJackrabbit wrote:Even if I were to believe their music is uninspired now, it's still pretty damn good music. I'll take BG's uninspired work over a lot of other current band's fresh material these days.
:!:
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Guardian'86

#854 Post by Guardian'86 » 13 Dec 2014 22:04

ErHaO wrote:In the case of the Control the Divine riff, I think it is deliberate, as it is basically the same (maybe ATEOT is just what the song name implies with a lot of orchestral elements? :P ). If they go this way, I would love to hear some subtle Bright Eyes and And the Story Ends pieces troughout the album, considering the concept.
bestpike wrote:The way I see it Ateot started the "inspiration drought" era of Blind Guardian, which is basically where every other good band is at (Blind Guardian have innovated themselves more times than any other band I know could ever dream of). This is basically copy yourself a bit, insert a few new bits, and voila a new album. Both Ateot and now Btrd lack the clear vision of the previous albums (I guess they decided to stop that since Atitm actually had a vision, it just wasn't that good). Instead we get this "mix the old with the new" quote on interviews of the last two albums, which doesn't seem very hopeful for the future (not necessarily including the next album). Adding symphonic stuff is good, but it doesn't make a song much better (in my ears).
Save for Tanelorn and maybe Valkyries, each song introduces quite some fresh elements to them, on top of revisiting nearly all their past styles of songs. It could be that we have a different perception of inspiration, but revisiting a certain style while succesfully creating new songs with their own "identity" is not a lack of inspiration to me. If so, I would call Ayreon, Dream Theater, Threshold, Kamelot, Nightwish, Iron Maiden, Queens of the Stone Age etc. (just naming random bands I like) inspirationless for most parts of their careers, while those artists have plenty of fresh albums whilst keeping a trademark style (to varying degrees).

BG did have quite the changes troughout their career offcourse. From Imaginations to ATITM they basically had a completely different sounding album each time. But being inspired is not only about sounding totally different or new ways of songwriting. They can be inspired to add to a certain sound or combine it in new ways. Which they did with ATEOT. Changing your style drastically for the sake of it is not inspiration. In the case of ATITM, I actually think they were a bit uninspired at times as quite some songs have a samish feeling on that album and/or are a bit flat/monotonous in terms of songwriting.

As for symphonic pieces/orchestras contributing to the songs it depends on the type of song. The way they used it in Wheel of Time was really awesome, the song revolves around the orchestra and it pays off. Sacred does not rely on the orchestra in terms of songwriting nearly as much (save for the intro and outro, which are a bit unnecessary), so still sounds a bit more like usual powermetal fare.
I agree about ATITM album..honestly it's uninspired and monotonous not only in terms of songwriting but in terms of style and sound too and so it's pretty obvious the same feeling. The combination of old and new style I think must be balanced..honestly I wanna hear power songs too without progressive and orchestral elements everytime....and I hope the upcoming album sounds differently.

bard_92

#855 Post by bard_92 » 13 Dec 2014 22:27

I don't think that the upcoming album will sound different than ATEOT. Maybe only the orchestras and choirs will be more, and I truly HOPE SO!!! That's what makes special BG to me and that's what makes songs for decades in my opinion!(like ATTWS, Sacred Words, Road Of No Release, Wheel Of Time) There are more bands that makes Power Metal, but for me there's only one that knows how to use orchestras and choirs on their maximum, and that's Blind Guardian! They're so genius and untouchable in this direction, like also in the progressive one!!! I truly hope to hear more of those things in the new album-I think that's what they're best at!!!

Rokubota

#856 Post by Rokubota » 14 Dec 2014 05:49

I really want to know if the Japanese fans liked the new single. ATEOT wasn't that hot for them and ATITM was a little bit better if you trust the users in Amazon.jp, they still love SFB and IFTOS a lot :).

drummer88

#857 Post by drummer88 » 14 Dec 2014 11:43

Good morning everybody,
I have to admit that I am not that optimistic anymore after seeing the second Trailer. Almost every new Piece we get to hear sounds like some older song. At the beginning you can hear elements of FLY, then the solo part of CONTROL THE DIVINE and the orchestral bit sounds quite similar to a part of ATTWS. Even the short drum sample in the middle Sound almsot identical to the intro of TANELORN from the last record. Especially the seen drum pattern concerns me, because for me it hints, that the announced Speed metal Songs will again lack the fast drumbeats of the early days. Even though the songs might be fast they again might not have the Speed metal attitude because of the slow drumbeat (as in TOTG).

EDIT: I have the Impression that Frederik is really bound to the drum arrangements hansi and andre worked out in the Demos. When you compare his style in BG and in Sinbreed it's really a big difference.

Guardian'86

#858 Post by Guardian'86 » 14 Dec 2014 13:37

bard_92 wrote:I don't think that the upcoming album will sound different than ATEOT. Maybe only the orchestras and choirs will be more, and I truly HOPE SO!!! That's what makes special BG to me and that's what makes songs for decades in my opinion!(like ATTWS, Sacred Words, Road Of No Release, Wheel Of Time) There are more bands that makes Power Metal, but for me there's only one that knows how to use orchestras and choirs on their maximum, and that's Blind Guardian! They're so genius and untouchable in this direction, like also in the progressive one!!! I truly hope to hear more of those things in the new album-I think that's what they're best at!!!
Yes maybe. One year ago Hansi said that this time around they wanted keep out the brutal side of BG for next album which has been described fast (power) epic and progressive with orchestral elements so a combination of old and new style with a New approach. It's clear that i like the progressive and orchestral elements and of course the fantasy side of the band.
I kNow they are so Genius...
I wanted to clarify about ATITM : for sure is a great album but sometime I ask myself why they made an album like That !!! Maybe it was the first one with NB...who knows??!

OmegaSlayer

#859 Post by OmegaSlayer » 14 Dec 2014 16:03

About TOTG...
I feel like the guys put mayonnaise on top of dark chocolate.
I like mayonnaise and I like chocolate, but hell they don't mix together.
And I mean it about the chorus, it doesn't come from left, it doesn't come from right, it just there out of nowhere without a build-up.
It seems it's there more for the show than for the song's economy.
And this is not the first time BG pulls something like this from ANATO.
Being proggy is cool, when you still retain the sense of what you're doing and not when you put riffs one after another.

The song is undoubtely good, but gives a sense of WTF is this?
The intro seems a bit plain, somehow rehashed, even more because we all know Andrè could have find better lead solution, at least different then one he has been using for decades now, and because when he moves from his comfort territory he's even able to do better things.

The part I like more is "A way..." that should have been the chorus imho.

The chorus is very good with his Uriah Heep/70s influences as a stand alone but it just feels out of place. LOADS.

The song grows, but I think it's because we fans refuse a turd from BG.
My friends and girlfriend who like BG but are not diehard fans just can't stand how that chorus sticks out.
I think we will just accept it and move on.

Dragonfly

#860 Post by Dragonfly » 14 Dec 2014 20:29

The second trailer is really great with all these bits of new songs (and the hockey part :) ). The riffs at the beginning are from some fast song I think, maybe "Ashes Of Eternity". Then that intro part really reminds of "Lord Of The Rings", but different. I suppose it could be "Sacred Mind". And I wonder if that part with "Control The Divine" could be actually taken from the At The Edge Of Time sessions, it's just so similar... Weird.
And the last bit... sounds fantastic. Now I understand what Hansi meant by considerable progress in terms of composing orchestral stuff. I think it's intro to the song "At The Edge Of Time", super bombastic and really serves as an introduction to the orchestral project. Fuck, that was awesome.
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

bard_92

#861 Post by bard_92 » 14 Dec 2014 22:18

Dragonfly wrote:The second trailer is really great with all these bits of new songs (and the hockey part :) ). The riffs at the beginning are from some fast song I think, maybe "Ashes Of Eternity". Then that intro part really reminds of "Lord Of The Rings", but different. I suppose it could be "Sacred Mind". And I wonder if that part with "Control The Divine" could be actually taken from the At The Edge Of Time sessions, it's just so similar... Weird.
And the last bit... sounds fantastic. Now I understand what Hansi meant by considerable progress in terms of composing orchestral stuff. I think it's intro to the song "At The Edge Of Time", super bombastic and really serves as an introduction to the orchestral project. Fuck, that was awesome.

I Agree!!! After this trailer, I mean mostly the new song at the end, the waiting is almost impossible! It's really painfull now! My first reaction was also At The Edge Of Time, but then I thought about the heroic melodies Andre mentioned in Grand Parade, which fits perfectly to what we've heard there! But is it possible to make a spoiler of Grand Parade so early-on the second trailer... :?: :?: :?:
So, the question is: Ninth Wave?,At The Edge Of Time?, The Throne?, or Grand Parade???
I exclude Distant Memories, cause it was mentioned as mostly a dramatic song!!!

Dragonfly

#862 Post by Dragonfly » 14 Dec 2014 23:27

bard_92 wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:The second trailer is really great with all these bits of new songs (and the hockey part :) ). The riffs at the beginning are from some fast song I think, maybe "Ashes Of Eternity". Then that intro part really reminds of "Lord Of The Rings", but different. I suppose it could be "Sacred Mind". And I wonder if that part with "Control The Divine" could be actually taken from the At The Edge Of Time sessions, it's just so similar... Weird.

I Agree!!! After this trailer, I mean mostly the new song at the end, the waiting is almost impossible! It's really painfull now! My first reaction was also At The Edge Of Time, but then I thought about the heroic melodies Andre mentioned in Grand Parade, which fits perfectly to what we've heard there! But is it possible to make a spoiler of Grand Parade so early-on the second trailer... :?: :?: :?:
So, the question is: Ninth Wave?,At The Edge Of Time?, The Throne?, or Grand Parade???
I exclude Distant Memories, cause it was mentioned as mostly a dramatic song!!!
I don't think it's "The Ninth Wave" because it seems that the orchestra plays a more supportive role there and the song itself is more based on massive riffs. Also I wouldn't expect a sample of a bonus track which is "Distant Memories", usually bonuses do not get promoted at all, so yeah, I agree, it's probably another song. Hard to say about "The Throne"... I just think both "Grand Parade" and "At The Edge Of Time" feature the orchestra at its most epic and most defining while in other songs it may play a more accompanying role. Just my vision. Don't know why I think so though.

bestpike

#863 Post by bestpike » 15 Dec 2014 00:03

OmegaSlayer wrote:About TOTG...
I feel like the guys put mayonnaise on top of dark chocolate.
I like mayonnaise and I like chocolate, but hell they don't mix together.
And I mean it about the chorus, it doesn't come from left, it doesn't come from right, it just there out of nowhere without a build-up.
It seems it's there more for the show than for the song's economy.
And this is not the first time BG pulls something like this from ANATO.
Being proggy is cool, when you still retain the sense of what you're doing and not when you put riffs one after another.

The song is undoubtely good, but gives a sense of WTF is this?
The intro seems a bit plain, somehow rehashed, even more because we all know Andrè could have find better lead solution, at least different then one he has been using for decades now, and because when he moves from his comfort territory he's even able to do better things.

The part I like more is "A way..." that should have been the chorus imho.

The chorus is very good with his Uriah Heep/70s influences as a stand alone but it just feels out of place. LOADS.

The song grows, but I think it's because we fans refuse a turd from BG.
My friends and girlfriend who like BG but are not diehard fans just can't stand how that chorus sticks out.
I think we will just accept it and move on.
I'm not sure I agree the chorus doesn't mix with the song in that sense. I just find it uninspiring, very commonplace. I also didn't like the symphonic vocals in it.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Feanor l'invincible

#864 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 15 Dec 2014 01:19

Maybe all the clips we got from this trailer are from "At the Edge of Time".. I really hope so (since it looks like "a collection of old BG pieces")
THE CURSE OF FEANOR RUNS LONG!

Dragonfly

#865 Post by Dragonfly » 15 Dec 2014 01:25

Feanor l'invincible wrote:Maybe all the clips we got from this trailer are from "At the Edge of Time".. I really hope so (since it looks like "a collection of old BG pieces")
But there are new pieces and ideas too :).

bard_92

#866 Post by bard_92 » 15 Dec 2014 09:20

I seriously don't think that those things are taken from ATEOT album, firstly because, even the Control The Divine melodies sounds different and more catchy here. On second place, the trailers 4 years ago didn't had this black curtain in the studio. And at the end, there's no point doing that :)

About the last song on the 2-nd trailer-"Dragonfly",you probably have point about it :)

OmegaSlayer

#867 Post by OmegaSlayer » 15 Dec 2014 17:18

bestpike wrote: I'm not sure I agree the chorus doesn't mix with the song in that sense. I just find it uninspiring, very commonplace. I also didn't like the symphonic vocals in it.
It is uninspiring if you lead fans to believe it's the new "Valhalla" :roll:
As much as I love them, I think Hansi and Andrè sometimes live in a world of their own where surprise and "experimentalism" don't always equate with "good".
I miss Thomen so much, I think he was the guy giving the reality checks in BG, not to mention that Frederik, although a great drummer, is too modern and too straight forward for the band.

Rokubota

#868 Post by Rokubota » 16 Dec 2014 00:21

drummer88 wrote:Good morning everybody,
I have to admit that I am not that optimistic anymore after seeing the second Trailer. Almost every new Piece we get to hear sounds like some older song. At the beginning you can hear elements of FLY, then the solo part of CONTROL THE DIVINE and the orchestral bit sounds quite similar to a part of ATTWS. Even the short drum sample in the middle Sound almsot identical to the intro of TANELORN from the last record. Especially the seen drum pattern concerns me, because for me it hints, that the announced Speed metal Songs will again lack the fast drumbeats of the early days. Even though the songs might be fast they again might not have the Speed metal attitude because of the slow drumbeat (as in TOTG).

EDIT: I have the Impression that Frederik is really bound to the drum arrangements hansi and andre worked out in the Demos. When you compare his style in BG and in Sinbreed it's really a big difference.
Maybe that's the reason why they want to complete the Orchestra Album next year, this new album could be a real stinker and they are afraid about the reaction.

All the good bands have like 8 years of inspiration and luck when they usually compose their iconic records, after that it's very difficult to make a landmark album again.

blindgfan

#869 Post by blindgfan » 16 Dec 2014 17:23

Is there any recent full album review available out there?

blindgfan

#870 Post by blindgfan » 16 Dec 2014 17:44

blindgfan wrote:Is there any recent full album review available out there?

So much for just 5 songs: http://rockrevoltmagazine.com/album-rev ... ed-mirror/

Dragonfly

#871 Post by Dragonfly » 16 Dec 2014 18:24

blindgfan wrote:

So much for just 5 songs: http://rockrevoltmagazine.com/album-rev ... ed-mirror/
Wow, thanks man! Sounds promising, but why just these songs and not a word about the rest? Kinda weird.

loren

#872 Post by loren » 16 Dec 2014 19:01

Quote from the article: ".... “Twilight of the Gods” begins our journey pillaging forward with fast blast beats..."

Where the hell did he hear a blast beat on Twilight of the Gods?? Does he even know what a blast beat is???
https://www.facebook.com/uncertaingreece
http://www.reverbnation.com/uncertain4
One of my bands. Death/progressive metal from Athens, Greece!

JazzJackrabbit

#873 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 16 Dec 2014 19:15

http://www.metalunderground.com/reviews ... seid=14746

bard_92

#874 Post by bard_92 » 16 Dec 2014 21:23

Sounds amazing! It's really seems that this time each song have so much potential in itself. I know that there are no fillers in ATEOT, but from what I've heard till now in those interviews, it seems that this time the ball is picked even higher. I like the description for Sacred Mind, and I don't know why but that's not the first time that gives me big expections to this song. Also, I don't know why, but just have the feeling it would be something like Road Of No Release, but maybe even more complex and progressive :)

Rokubota

#875 Post by Rokubota » 17 Dec 2014 03:52

I don't trust these early reviews at all. I'm prepared for the worst, but hope for the best.

wade-newb

#876 Post by wade-newb » 17 Dec 2014 05:45

Rokubota wrote:I don't trust these early reviews at all. I'm prepared for the worst, but hope for the best.
I also don't trust them, they sound too enthusiastic. And they also said a combination of Queen and Helloween results in something "brutal" and "relentless". What?
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

Dragonfly

#877 Post by Dragonfly » 17 Dec 2014 23:19

When I listen to the chorus of "Twilight Of The Gods" I sometimes hear "...there's no retweet" instead of "...there's no retreat", and I don't even have a Twitter account.

Stupid comment is stupid! :)

ICBM

#878 Post by ICBM » 17 Dec 2014 23:25

Hnggghhh.... that orchestral sample at the end of the last studio video is so damn good... Seriously raised my expectations for the album to max level.

bestpike

#879 Post by bestpike » 19 Dec 2014 02:24

Are we getting a video clip this time? Was there any word about it?
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Ryu

#880 Post by Ryu » 19 Dec 2014 12:50

bestpike wrote:Are we getting a video clip this time? Was there any word about it?
It would seem so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvH9vC66P6M
Defiant of destiny

Freak666

#881 Post by Freak666 » 19 Dec 2014 13:03

The last seconds sounds soooo promising!

ErHaO

#882 Post by ErHaO » 19 Dec 2014 13:48

Nice, they extended the orchestral preview. This stuff sounds really epic!

I also like the other new material presented here (some stuff of the single too though).

loren

#883 Post by loren » 19 Dec 2014 13:50

The part we hear on around 0:38 of the trailer resembles a lot with a part from "Under the Serpent Sun" by At The Gates...
https://www.facebook.com/uncertaingreece
http://www.reverbnation.com/uncertain4
One of my bands. Death/progressive metal from Athens, Greece!

Dragonfly

#884 Post by Dragonfly » 19 Dec 2014 18:27

I'm fairly sure that part with the choirs at around 1:11 comes from "The Ninth Wave". So dark and heavy.

bard_92

#885 Post by bard_92 » 19 Dec 2014 19:08

Dragonfly wrote:I'm fairly sure that part with the choirs at around 1:11 comes from "The Ninth Wave". So dark and heavy.
I agree! But what about again the last one-before I thought that it was the beginning of Grand Parade, but now I'm confused-is it the outro??? It is a long one-0,50sec., so it seems to me that it should be from a longer song like 8-9 minutes one, and considering the melodies-the most obvious choice would be "Grand Parade"- what do you think?

Dragonfly

#886 Post by Dragonfly » 19 Dec 2014 19:25

bard_92 wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:I'm fairly sure that part with the choirs at around 1:11 comes from "The Ninth Wave". So dark and heavy.
I agree! But what about again the last one-before I thought that it was the beginning of Grand Parade, but now I'm confused-is it the outro??? It is a long one-0,50sec., so it seems to me that it should be from a longer song like 8-9 minutes one, and considering the melodies-the most obvious choice would be "Grand Parade"- what do you think?
Now I'm just as confused as you... still I think it might as well be "At The Edge Of Time". And to me it doesn't really have to be an outro, the melody may pick up again after this sample. My guess is it's the intro to "At The Edge Of Time", sounds like it can be a truly great starting point for an epic song.

bard_92

#887 Post by bard_92 » 19 Dec 2014 19:30

Interesting point! Unfortunately, I guess that only time will show us...

Dragonfly

#888 Post by Dragonfly » 19 Dec 2014 19:37

bard_92 wrote:Interesting point! Unfortunately, I guess that only time will show us...
Samples can solve that problem, I wonder if we'll get them at some point. And I wonder even more whether I should listen to them or not :o.

bard_92

#889 Post by bard_92 » 19 Dec 2014 20:45

I think that the samples will be our Christmas present, even the fact that I hate these things...somehow they ruin the surprises....But as far as I know me I would listen them...just can't wait... :cry:

ICBM

#890 Post by ICBM » 19 Dec 2014 23:09

ICBM wrote:Hnggghhh.... that orchestral sample at the end of the last studio video is so damn good... Seriously raised my expectations for the album to max level.
Hngggghhh'ing even harder with the additional sample in the third clip. This song HAS to be Grand Parade. André said it was the best song they ever did, this just can't be anything else than that.
bestpike wrote:Are we getting a video clip this time? Was there any word about it?
I hope there won't be any video. The Bright Eyes video was cool for it's time, the later ones have just been increasingly embarrassing. The should spend that money on lowering the price for the Earbook Edition instead (which unfortunately might be the only edition contaning the complete linear notes).

For anyone wondering, Hansi said in a video interview that the concept story for the album would be further told in linear notes. André mentioned that Hansi sent him a complete written story (presumably while he was still writing the music). Would be a real asshole move by NB to release more of the story in the more expensive versions of the album. Unless you actually get a separate book or something.

Rokubota

#891 Post by Rokubota » 19 Dec 2014 23:32

Hansi sounds awesome in that new clip alone, he still has his great voice for sure. I liked the Demons & Wizards vibe in the part where André is playing the seven-string guitar.

I like Mr Sandman a lot, to me it's their best MV so far. I always thought that maybe a 2d animated video could fit with them very well, something very artistic like Asura's Wrath 11.5, Animatrix Kid's Story or the Kill Bill anime segment. A very sketchy looking animation in that style but with BG in it.

Ryu

#892 Post by Ryu » 20 Dec 2014 01:19

Rokubota wrote:Hansi sounds awesome in that new clip alone, he still has his great voice for sure. I liked the Demons & Wizards vibe in the part where André is playing the seven-string guitar.

I like Mr Sandman a lot, to me it's their best MV so far. I always thought that maybe a 2d animated video could fit with them very well, something very artistic like Asura's Wrath 11.5, Animatrix Kid's Story or the Kill Bill anime segment. A very sketchy looking animation in that style but with BG in it.
Man, in terms of recent BG videos, those suggestions are almost too tasteful. ;) They're great ones and I'd love to see them channel that style, but I think they're a little too kitsch at heart when it comes to their video presentation.

Also, perhaps the part around 00:35 in the video is Outcast (Sacred Mind)? Sounds epic and sad, and intro-y.
Defiant of destiny

Traveller in Time

#893 Post by Traveller in Time » 21 Dec 2014 03:00

BTW there is some new merch at EMP and NB.
Maybe that is killing a bit time of the long wait...ah yeah and your bank account ;)

Today you can even order at EMP one 100euro voucher for 80 euros and a 50 euro voucher for 40euros.
http://www.emp.de/lis_00VOUCHER10050_ru ... =topseller

EMP:
- Overlord Hoodie
- Overlord T-Shirt
- Overlord Girlie
- Magician T-Shirt
- Overlord Poster with signatures of the band

NB:
- Time T-Shirt
- Time Longsleeve
- Time Zipper
- Red Mirror T-Shirt
- Red Mirror Longsleeve
- Red Mirror Hoodie
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

bard_92

#894 Post by bard_92 » 21 Dec 2014 10:25

To me, this orchestral part - from 3:40 to the end of trailer 3 is probably the best thing musical wise that BG have ever written...and ever come to my ears!!! I LOVE IT!!! We'll probably face something really epic this time...

OmegaSlayer

#895 Post by OmegaSlayer » 21 Dec 2014 17:11

The orchestra part is really Dimmu Guardian :mrgreen:
Anyway I finally got my copy of TOTG and I must say that the song sounds "something else" in terms of better, though the mix is relying too much on mid frequencies which muddens everything a bit too much :(

bard_92

#896 Post by bard_92 » 21 Dec 2014 17:47

Today I just remember myself how great the parts "how date to be such..." are...probably the best operatic vocals to me to date...so clean and wise work!!! Just awesome!!! :)

Freak666

#897 Post by Freak666 » 21 Dec 2014 23:49

German "Rock it!"-magazin has an review in the recent issue.
It scored 9/10 and became album of the month. Overall they've said it's a perfect album just the productions sounds a bit "compressed". Unfortunaltely they didn't explain that any further. But they said it might be because they only had a pre-release version.

Between: The second best album in this issue was "Serious Black" which was stated to be a true Killer-album. Seems Thomen is just right back on track! Too sad they are touring with HammerFall next spring. They would have been the perfect support for BG as well! (Not to mention Orden Ogan who are also HammerFall's support band this time)

ErHaO

#898 Post by ErHaO » 22 Dec 2014 00:05

Compression is something that plagues a lot of music nowadays and also a lot of BG material. I am never too bothered with it to enjoy the music, but it is unecessary and hampers the potential soundquality on high end audio set-ups. Thankfully, a lot of vinyl releases have a much better mastering (as the physical medium requires). Their latest box set (Travellers guide), for example, was quite a bit more compressed than the original releases for the most part. I did enjoy the new mixes a lot though, as some elements that I like were more up front in the mix or I could appreciate some stuff I had never really heard before (but that is something else than better soundquality in itself).

Dragonfly

#899 Post by Dragonfly » 22 Dec 2014 23:28

Crap, I just left Sweden after 4 months' living there, and now I learn that there's a special issue of a Swedish magazine with a big feature about Blind Guardian! I could've probably translated it into English, it would've been so much fun... HELL! :evil: :evil: :evil:

bard_92

#900 Post by bard_92 » 23 Dec 2014 04:50

Dragonfly wrote:Crap, I just left Sweden after 4 months' living there, and now I learn that there's a special issue of a Swedish magazine with a big feature about Blind Guardian! I could've probably translated it into English, it would've been so much fun... HELL! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Right now, it hurts even more... :|