Blind Guardian's 10th Album, "Beyond the Red Mirror"

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
T3hOverlord

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

#801 Post by T3hOverlord » 06 Dec 2014 23:49

EDIT: FOR THE KING, FOR THE LAND, FOR THE MOUNTAINS, FOR THE GREEN VALLEYS WHERE DRAGONS FLY. FOR THE GLORY, THE POWER TO WIN THE BLACK LORD, I WILL SEARCH FOR THE EMERALD SWORD
Avelar wrote: I think that Twilight of the Gods would be in place on ATEOT and wouldn't be the worst song there. For example i like it more than i liked Tanelorn (Into The Void) after the first listen.
I had this revelation today too and it made me like the song a whole lot more. Just thinking, it would fit fine on AteoT and it would be in the top half of songs on there for sure. I also agree I am more of a fan of twilight of the gods than I was tanelorn when I waited till "6:66am" or whatever the fuck to listen to it hahaha

bard_92

#802 Post by bard_92 » 07 Dec 2014 07:37

After 3 days-and finally listened with the original quality yesterday - I must say that I absolutely like it and right now it's even in The Top 10 of my BG songs...Seriosly, the song is really catchy, there's probably not even an empty and boring second in it, it's very brutal, regarding to some of the vocals...and finally I started liking and singing along the chorus!!!! Great song!!! And once again I just realized that a BG song just needs time...Can't wait for the album!!! Just there's still too much time...

bard_92

#803 Post by bard_92 » 07 Dec 2014 11:52

At least in the last 2 weeks we get some materials like the interview just published on their FB page with Andre! Hope they'll continue and find some way to keep us fresh and excited like posting some things here and there...:)

Gandalf de Grijze

#804 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 07 Dec 2014 12:22

interview spoken of: http://planetmosh.com/blind-guardian-in ... mber-2014/

just listening already... interesting note: they're going to rehearse about 17 songs they haven't played much over the last 20 years, which does obviously include a couple of new songs....
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

blindgfan

#805 Post by blindgfan » 07 Dec 2014 14:44

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:interview spoken of: http://planetmosh.com/blind-guardian-in ... mber-2014/

just listening already... interesting note: they're going to rehearse about 17 songs they haven't played much over the last 20 years, which does obviously include a couple of new songs....

It was funny how he couldn't remember the 3rd song from IFTOS that has to do with this concept.

bestpike

#806 Post by bestpike » 07 Dec 2014 16:01

By the way, does it make any sense whatsoever that the live performances in the single are from older albums? I hope it implies a new Live album is coming and they didn't want to spoil anything.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Dragonfly

#807 Post by Dragonfly » 07 Dec 2014 17:16

I just wanted to say that the "How've they dared to be..." part is fucking genius, that's exactly what I envision when Hansi speaks about "typical dystopian elements". I hope there are more moments like this one on the album.
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

bard_92

#808 Post by bard_92 » 07 Dec 2014 17:23

Dragonfly wrote:I just wanted to say that the "How've they dared to be..." part is fucking genius, that's exactly what I envision when Hansi speaks about "typical dystopian elements". I hope there are more moments like this one on the album.
I absolutely agree!!! :)

Dragonfly

#809 Post by Dragonfly » 07 Dec 2014 17:42

bard_92 wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:I just wanted to say that the "How've they dared to be..." part is fucking genius, that's exactly what I envision when Hansi speaks about "typical dystopian elements". I hope there are more moments like this one on the album.
:wink: :)
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

Guardian'86

#810 Post by Guardian'86 » 07 Dec 2014 22:38

bard_92 wrote:
I agree too !!! Absoultely !! this song is just Amazing, masterful and it sounds awesome !!! Hansi is a great singer, vocalis and a great composer firstly !!!!! He's genial !!!!!

ErHaO

#811 Post by ErHaO » 08 Dec 2014 02:55

I love the way the deliver the lines "the door to discordia!" and later "There is war in Discordia!" The ending of the song is also cool, different from their usual approach, due to Fredrick's drumming.

Rokubota

#812 Post by Rokubota » 08 Dec 2014 05:22

Chorus still doesn't feel natural in the song.

Ryu

#813 Post by Ryu » 08 Dec 2014 05:37

Rokubota wrote:Chorus still doesn't feel natural in the song.
If it's "Song 9" then yeah the chorus sure as hell does interrupt the momentum of the song, as stated last year when they were describing "Song 9".
Defiant of destiny

Darth Arrow

#814 Post by Darth Arrow » 08 Dec 2014 23:01

After giving TotG more spins, I have to say that the song keeps getting better and better after each listen. It sounds much better now than how it did at first, though it still lacks the certain kick which many BG songs have for me. And the chorus is still quite mediocre. But as I predicted, why I was so critical towards TotG at first was precisely because I had very different expectations from the final outcome. Preordered my copy of the earbook today, price was horrible 52 € :shock: But if I had preordered from Napalm Records as I did with the single, I would've saved "only" 7 € when counting shipping fees, so I guess I'll be supporting the local record store for this.

This may sound like a weird question, but is Marcus' name really Marcus? If you look at this picture https://www.facebook.com/blindguardian/ ... =1&theater with the members' autographs, it seems like Marcus has signed the picture as Magnus. And Marcus was credited as "Magnus" Armin Siepen on SFB, both on the original release and on the 2007 remaster. I checked two of my three autographs, and they are noticeably different from the one from the picture. Though as they've been signed on a festival sign-session they are also much more scruffy :P But they COULD spell Marcus, the one on the facebook picture is clearly Magnus. Metal archives lists "Marcus Matthias Siepen" as his real name, but I'm not sure how trustworthy that is. Also why was "Magnus" inside quotation marks on SFB booklet, but Armin without the quotes? :| 'Tis a mystery......

EDIT: Marcus' homepage also states "Marcus Matthias" as his full name, and why wouldn't we believe it. I'm still curious where Magnus Armin comes from though.

Traveller in Time

#815 Post by Traveller in Time » 08 Dec 2014 23:44

Interesting question.

But i guess Magnus is some kind of nickname (would be nice to know how he did get it) from the early days of Blind Guardian
like Thomen "The Omen" Stauch had. ;)
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Darth Arrow

#816 Post by Darth Arrow » 09 Dec 2014 00:05

Yeah, and I don't know how it is in German, but for me Magnus draws connections to Latin word Magus, and Magnus as a nickname could be some kind of reference to being a magician with the guitar :) But where does Armin Siepen come from, and why Armin wasn't inside quotations in SFB booklet?

EDIT: Ok, Magnus does not refer to the word Magus in Latin, but the Latin word magnus pretty much means "The Great" in English. So Marcus would be pretty much credited as "The Great" Armin Siepen on SFB :wink:

bestpike

#817 Post by bestpike » 09 Dec 2014 00:51

I think probably his real name is Marcus, but at some point decided to have an artist name and chose Magnus and changed his signature accordingly. Nice spotting by the way.
Forever to be free

Twister

#818 Post by Twister » 09 Dec 2014 01:19

Yep, Magnus was/is just a nickname, as was Thomen (a fusion between real name Thomas, of course, and other nickname The Omen).

I finally got to listen to the single in original quality, and I must say I really, really like the song.
To my taste, it is better than the whole AtEoT, except Sacred World and Wheel of Time - and it's a gamble with Curse my Name and War of the Thrones, which are anyway different kind of songs so I wouldn't compare them anyway.

So: totally trusting you, Guardians, the new album will be a killer!
"Well, I was about to announce the next song, but I think we'll have to skip it...
Yeah, because we have a pretty sad song here, and you all seem so happy to me...!"

(Hansi Kursch)

sciacallo010

#819 Post by sciacallo010 » 09 Dec 2014 12:14

I'm pretty sure it comes from the latin "magnus" meaning great (Alexander the Great was called this way by the latins).

By the way, I finally received yesterday a lovely package filled with awesomeness (namely every edition of TOTG but the gold vinyl) and I'm very satisfied with what they've done here: very interesting stuff with those down-tuned guitars, Hansi provides really "angry" powerful vocals and the overall feel is that it's a pretty good song.
And it keeps getting better every time I listen to it! :mrgreen:

Warmoth

#820 Post by Warmoth » 09 Dec 2014 18:46

Anyone in the US pre-order the single from NuclearBlast US?
I have no clue when it's supposed to arrive, their site isn't very informative. Or maybe I missed a crucial email?

As for the song "Twilight of the Gods", I quite like it. Particularly the intro up to the first chorus.
The song does have some darker elements that I like. When they first released the teaser, I thought of Demons and Wizards, briefly.
I think the chorus is pretty catchy. Not their best musically. In fact it might be too simple. But the the vocals are very memorable to me. (Hansi always is)
The down-tuned guitars are an interesting aspect. I noticed it right away, which to me makes this song stand out completely from all of their previous work.
I'm both excited and anxious to see how they rest of the album sounds. I think there's going to be more room for Marcus to shine in the low end, but I just hope it's been handled correctly. (In my opinion, detuned guitars, while heavy, can lead to a muddy sound in complex music). (further stepping into Fred's kick drums!)

The single did it's job for me. Wet my appetite for the rest of the album, which I'm sure is chock-full of more complex compositions. I am VERY excited to hear the album's orchestra work.

bard_92

#821 Post by bard_92 » 10 Dec 2014 00:15

Yeah, the first time I listened to it I was also with mixed feelings...but right now-My Lord, It's Awesome! I love it, Great Song, probably one of the most touching vocals in their career!
The highlights in the song for me are
"How dare to be" ones...Brilliant work!!! Very high and clean vocals!!!
"Red door to Discordia"
"The Damage done"...that's maybe their most brutal thing for me...
"The Kings Gone"
The Chorus - it was firstly underrated by me, But it's a pure magic, one of my favorites, but defenetly needs time, even the fact it's not that complex...

But The Oscar from me probably goes to the "Awayyyy" choral part!!! Grand vocals,
Unbelievable ones...probably 20 from 10 points!!!!

I'm really happy that Hansi added some DW inspirations here! Maybe he knows that DW project is almost dead(because of many reasons, which are normal) and that's why he decided to please us with some surprises in the new album!!! Thanks, Hansi!!! :) :) :)

Wizard's Crown

#822 Post by Wizard's Crown » 11 Dec 2014 15:27

Twilight of the Gods is a good song..at the first hearings I didn't dig it but now it's a very pleasing song..to enjoy it more I prefer to see it as a musical adventure and not as a solid song..but i will have to say it one more time..Frederik doesn't help the song at all..I believe that instead the drums hold the song back..it has parts where the song needs to be escalated and the drums just play the rythm..

Avelar

#823 Post by Avelar » 12 Dec 2014 10:35

I would say that it is unfair to say that Frederik doesn't help the song at all. There are quite a few moments where drumming sounds original and interesting to me. In my opinion he makes the song even more awesome. I don't feel that there are moments were the song obviously needs escalation.
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.

bard_92

#824 Post by bard_92 » 12 Dec 2014 13:01

I think that Frederik is a great dummer!!! For example, let's take Road Of No Release!!! Such a creative work!!! :)

Wizard's Crown

#825 Post by Wizard's Crown » 12 Dec 2014 13:01

I believe that the moments that you say are at the end of the song where he does some improvisation over the final riff..I agree with you that this is original but it doesn't offer anything to the essence of the song..this is a fast song and it needs to have some drums with balls..i know that I sound like a total jerk and i definately dont want to disrespect anyone but that's my opinion about the song..

bard_92

#826 Post by bard_92 » 12 Dec 2014 13:46

So teaser two is out!!!!
The song at the end - WOW !! :)

Gandalf de Grijze

#827 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 12 Dec 2014 14:26

bard_92 wrote:So teaser two is out!!!!
"WOW" just doesn't even begin to describe it!!
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands

bard_92

#828 Post by bard_92 » 12 Dec 2014 14:42

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:
bard_92 wrote:So teaser two is out!!!!
"WOW" just doesn't even begin to describe it!!
Yeah, I'm sorry :) But I was so busy to listen it again, that it was even hard to me to write the post! :) :D There are heroic melodies in it, so the question is- might it be "Grand Parade"????

Gandalf de Grijze

#829 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 12 Dec 2014 14:48

just connected my laptop to the great audioset i have here to listen to that in full epicness...
holy hell!!! addicted i am!
i'm sure I won't be able to sleep anymore out of sheer excitedness

bestpike

#830 Post by bestpike » 12 Dec 2014 15:13

I hope the riff at 2:48 comes actually from Valkyries and not a new song... The final part of the video sounds indeed very impressive. Although guys, from the single and the teaser material my honest opinion is that this album doesn't look as promising as Ateot (but maybe just a little worse, which is not bad). I might be wrong (obviously), but just keep your expectations in check.
Forever to be free

Gandalf de Grijze

#831 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 12 Dec 2014 15:15

to me it actually sounds MORE promising than ateot

bard_92

#832 Post by bard_92 » 12 Dec 2014 15:36

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:to me it actually sounds MORE promising than ateot
I agree! From what I've heard till now, I also like it better than ATEOT, even the fact that it is an impressive and outstanding album and it's still too early to say thinks like that! But there's one fact that makes my decision easier and it's that here we'll have more choirs and orchestras..also the production is better to me here!

Wizard's Crown

#833 Post by Wizard's Crown » 12 Dec 2014 15:41

bestpike wrote:I hope the riff at 2:48 comes actually from Valkyries and not a new song... The final part of the video sounds indeed very impressive. Although guys, from the single and the teaser material my honest opinion is that this album doesn't look as promising as Ateot (but maybe just a little worse, which is not bad). I might be wrong (obviously), but just keep your expectations in check.
I think it's Control the Divine and not Valkyries..and by the way Control the Divine is the only song from ATEOT which you cant find in youtube..maybe it means something?

loren

#834 Post by loren » 12 Dec 2014 16:35

Wizard's Crown wrote:
bestpike wrote:I hope the riff at 2:48 comes actually from Valkyries and not a new song... The final part of the video sounds indeed very impressive. Although guys, from the single and the teaser material my honest opinion is that this album doesn't look as promising as Ateot (but maybe just a little worse, which is not bad). I might be wrong (obviously), but just keep your expectations in check.
I think it's Control the Divine and not Valkyries..and by the way Control the Divine is the only song from ATEOT which you cant find in youtube..maybe it means something?
+1
Last edited by loren on 12 Dec 2014 16:40, edited 2 times in total.
https://www.facebook.com/uncertaingreece
http://www.reverbnation.com/uncertain4
One of my bands. Death/progressive metal from Athens, Greece!

wade-newb

#835 Post by wade-newb » 12 Dec 2014 16:39

Wizard's Crown wrote:
Not sure I understand. What might this mean?
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

loren

#836 Post by loren » 12 Dec 2014 16:40

Also, the last song on this teaser (not Sacred) reminds me a lot of the ending of "The Dark Passage" from NIME. I'm talking about the part just before the "slowly marching on" part.
https://www.facebook.com/uncertaingreece
http://www.reverbnation.com/uncertain4
One of my bands. Death/progressive metal from Athens, Greece!

bestpike

#837 Post by bestpike » 12 Dec 2014 17:11

loren wrote:
Wizard's Crown wrote:
+1
Indeed, Control the Divine I meant.
Forever to be free

ErHaO

#838 Post by ErHaO » 12 Dec 2014 17:26

Follow the Blind (really, really similar. He even mentions the possibility of applying the electric sound on top of it, which is exactly what happens in that song), Control the Divine (the exact same melody)? What is going on here? Are they going to use elements of previous songs? (I love this when Dream Theater does this, so I am open to it).

Love what I am hearing so far. End part is epic and the song at the begininning sound awesome as well. And I love Control the Divine so do not mind that melody making a comeback somewhere.

Also, does Fredrick tune his drumkit differently for each song?

Darth Arrow

#839 Post by Darth Arrow » 12 Dec 2014 17:55

Anyone else thought that "fuck, they should've used this in the Lord of the Rings movies" when listening to the clip at the end of the video? :P

residentour

#840 Post by residentour » 12 Dec 2014 19:10

Amazing teaser! The first intro should be non guessable but the middle is I think ATEOT which might be a medley of the whole previous album. That part is a transposed form of control the divine.
And the last one definitely belongs to a long track. Grand parade would be an accurate guess while it has some marching rhythm in it (song is 120 bpm) . We didn't listen to any choirs (except some in TOTG) but it would surpass Wheel of Time :D
Last edited by residentour on 12 Dec 2014 19:31, edited 3 times in total.

Master

#841 Post by Master » 12 Dec 2014 19:17

Hi everybody, I'm new here, but I've been listening to BG for some years, and I'm looking forward to the new album, of course!
The quotations to their previous songs you've noticed have quite worried me about their creativity, but I still have very high hopes.
I was reading on the NB website that a song is going to be about "a promise of revolution"...isn't, "Control the divine", more or less, about the same topic? Maybe this could be the reason for the explicit quotation.
As the final seconds of the actual 2nd trailer remind a bit about "A dark passage", could it be the song "Doom", which was begun at that time?
We'll see...Anyway, I hope those are done with a particular reason, and not just because of lacking of ideas.

Master

#842 Post by Master » 12 Dec 2014 19:20

residentour wrote:Amazing teaser! The first intro should be non guessable but the middle is I think ATEOT which might be a medley of the whole previous album. That part is a transposed form of control the divine.
And the last one definitely belongs to a long track. Grand parade would be an accurate guess while it has some marching rhythm in it. We didn't listen to any choirs (except some in TOTG) but it would surpass Wheel of Time :D
The one about ATEOT could be a very interesting explanation!
A sort of medley...And of course that would be a clear reason about the song title!

Edain

#843 Post by Edain » 12 Dec 2014 19:37

Oh-my-gawd.

After the release of TOTG I was quite underwhelmed but that teaster now makes me crave the album. Pretty much everything here sounds promising: Heavy riffing (actual "riffs" is what was really always underrepresented in Guardians music - Powerchord-shredding, melodic leads and hooks, yes, but not too many Metal-riffs), a nice acoustic tune - only the solo/lead part is indeed weird, because it's copy/paste Control the Divine with a different rhythm-guitar in the background. But let's see, where this ends up. Copy-paste can work, Bolt Thrower does it very well. :mrgreen:

And the orchestra sounds simply amazing. :)
"Edis Rehto Eht Morf Snoitanigami!"

bard_92

#844 Post by bard_92 » 12 Dec 2014 19:42

To surpass the Wheel Of Time choir vocals is probably a challenge, especially in the last chorus! I must say that I really like epic music, but to me the Final chorus in this song is still unbeatable!!! Of course, I expect Beyond The Red Mirror to surpass it, but I still think that it won't be easy!!! :)

Feanor l'invincible

#845 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 12 Dec 2014 20:29

The first riff in the trailer has some "Fly" on it.
THE CURSE OF FEANOR RUNS LONG!

bestpike

#846 Post by bestpike » 12 Dec 2014 20:47

The way I see it Ateot started the "inspiration drought" era of Blind Guardian, which is basically where every other good band is at (Blind Guardian have innovated themselves more times than any other band I know could ever dream of). This is basically copy yourself a bit, insert a few new bits, and voila a new album. Both Ateot and now Btrd lack the clear vision of the previous albums (I guess they decided to stop that since Atitm actually had a vision, it just wasn't that good). Instead we get this "mix the old with the new" quote on interviews of the last two albums, which doesn't seem very hopeful for the future (not necessarily including the next album). Adding symphonic stuff is good, but it doesn't make a song much better (in my ears).
Forever to be free

Ryu

#847 Post by Ryu » 12 Dec 2014 22:15

At around 2:48, that's definitely the Control the Divine intro riff. What could be going on? ;)

00:50, that's a Quest for Tanelorn/LOTR baby.
Defiant of destiny

bestpike

#848 Post by bestpike » 13 Dec 2014 00:28

Ryu wrote:At around 2:48, that's definitely the Control the Divine intro riff. What could be going on? ;)

00:50, that's a Quest for Tanelorn/LOTR baby.
Ateot stuff in the new album's trailers and older song performances in the single (instead for example something like Tanelorn or any other song(s) of the last album) raise a few questions. Also, no cover this time on the single is really strange. Conspiracy theories anyone? :P
Forever to be free

Rokubota

#849 Post by Rokubota » 13 Dec 2014 01:14

bestpike wrote:The way I see it Ateot started the "inspiration drought" era of Blind Guardian, which is basically where every other good band is at (Blind Guardian have innovated themselves more times than any other band I know could ever dream of). This is basically copy yourself a bit, insert a few new bits, and voila a new album. Both Ateot and now Btrd lack the clear vision of the previous albums (I guess they decided to stop that since Atitm actually had a vision, it just wasn't that good). Instead we get this "mix the old with the new" quote on interviews of the last two albums, which doesn't seem very hopeful for the future (not necessarily including the next album). Adding symphonic stuff is good, but it doesn't make a song much better (in my ears).

IMHO It's the orchestra project, Wheel Of Time and ATTWS were the leftovers of that thing and are amazing songs with tons of great melodies and harmonies. The musicianship behind them is very amazing, it's very clear to me where their hearts are. Metal can be very fucking boring and I guess it's very diffrerent when you are composing for a metal band(2 Guitars, bass, drums and Hansi's voice) or for a big Orchestra.

Hansi is struggling with the new songs for sure, the last time he was on fire for real is the first D&W record. I just talking about how his voice flows through the song, Hansi's voice is still in top form.

Gandalf de Grijze

#850 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 13 Dec 2014 01:55

Rokubota wrote:Hansi is struggling with the new songs for sure, the last time he was on fire for real is the first D&W record. I just talking about how his voice flows through the song, Hansi's voice is still in top form.
Don't know what you've been listening to to be honest, but his vocal performance on DW2 was a lightyear better than the first DW album, and on ATEOT he was really top notch to be honest... I really (and strongly) prefer his clean vocals over his rougher vocals. It makes him so much more passionate and versatile! And yes, I'm also talking about his flow through the songs... his lyrics have been so much better! passionate and personal even!