Blind Guardian's 10th Album, "Beyond the Red Mirror"

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Gandalf de Grijze

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

#751 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 04 Dec 2014 22:49

and page
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

JazzJackrabbit

#752 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 04 Dec 2014 22:59

Found a new interview with Hansi and Andre: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgWNQ-EnTXk

Ryu

#753 Post by Ryu » 04 Dec 2014 23:17

I believe either a reviewer or a band member referred to this first single as a "microcosm" compared to the rest of the album. I'm not blown away - it's definitely great to have fresh bardsounds pumped through my brain but really, I knew holding out for the album was going to be the greatest challenge of receiving this single. I'll loop it today, get a feel for it.

First impression is that it almost feels like the song "starts" twice, due to the first trailer seemingly leading us to believe we were hearing the first verse, when it is the second.. there is some disjoint between the beginning of the song and the second chorus to me where it almost sounds like two songs strung together from different points in either song. We'll see.
Defiant of destiny

Darth Arrow

#754 Post by Darth Arrow » 04 Dec 2014 23:34

Andvari wrote:I got mine from Napalm Records I hope i get it tomorrow or sat. I can't wait for it. It's coming I know it is
Heh, I ordered mine from Napalm Records, because Nuclear Blast was asking for 14€ for shipment to Finland (sending a letter from Finland to Germany costs 1€, so fuck you NB). Napalm charged 6€ for shipment to Finland so, much more reasonable. It seems like they send international orders way ahead so that it will definetely be delivered by the release date.

Strangely, local record stores didn't carry the release at all! NB must have hold out the single release to middle-Europe :evil:

Edain

#755 Post by Edain » 04 Dec 2014 23:48

Let's try a review after listening to it twice. It's a mixed bag though I have an overall positive opinion.

They tried to cramp in too much I think. All the great things are there but they don't have time to breathe or get lost in the overall sound. There's great melodic leads, a lovely singing Lead sound. There's choirs that sound more mature than ever (very natural sounding, not the squeaky highs from Opera) and are used in some really effective ways (I love those fast "angry choirs" we already had in Road of no Release they always remind me a bit of Bohemian Rhapsody). There's a heavy, downtuned rhythm section. There's Hansi still in good shape. There's a great chorus (one might disagree about how it fits the "dark song" but it's got a catchy hook, that what it's all about). There's as usual a whole lotta interesting things going on all the time.

But for the first time I have the feeling it's too much. Intro/outro, chorus and interludes/solos are clearly distinguishable and flow nicely - but once the verses kick in it gets a bit muddy, probably also due to the production. I just can't find something to hold on - if it's not power chords or high leads it's hard to distinguish what the rhythm guitar is doing (which seems cool for at least as much as I can hear). The drums neither provide enough variety nor at least enough presence to structure the parts (as in Opera for example) - it all gets drowned under the vocals. Wouldn't be a problem if they provided cohesiveness - but they seem a bit unstructured this time (many shouted one-liners either by Hansi or the choir) and therefore add to the overall "confusion" instead of providing nice singalongs that flow throughout the song.

As I said beforehand my experience is still overall positive and makes me look forward to the album. I don't really understand the "ATITMs B-side"-comments - the sound is way better and the approach seems totally different to me. Heavier, darker, more "modern" (as they said in some interviews) and it seems really another direction they haven't taken yet. And I'm pretty sure all these elements will blend smoothely together in the full album. They still know how to kick ass, for example these "Away"-choirs that sound like the furies coming down on the listener prove it.

btw: Fred's drumming is irritating. He's a studied drummer, so he played in one semester more grooves than we get to hear on the first three Guardian-albums together. In the intro and the outro his work is also really exciting, great action between the toms and the cymbals - but everything else sounds quite generic. Wat?

Edit: I forgot about that "microcosm"-statement. I think that's my problem with the song and that what makes me think the rest of the album will be more accessible.
"Edis Rehto Eht Morf Snoitanigami!"

Rokubota

#756 Post by Rokubota » 05 Dec 2014 00:11

bard_92 wrote:
Rokubota wrote:ATITM is an all around mediocre album (soulless production with mostly weak songwriting) and this song is also pretty weak. The solo sounded somehow diffrerent and interesting at the beginning but it went nowhere after that, uninspired.

The song has a dark vibe but it's ruined by a desperate attempt of a sing along chorus that doesn't fit and on top of that it's too cheesy. Hansi's performance is also soulless and he is out of his mind if he thinks of this song as a Valhalla and Mirror Mirror worthy successor.

In one word FORGETTABLE
FORGETTABLE????YOU SERIOUS??? That the song is not a chorus follower to Mirror Mirror or Valhalla doesn't mean that it's Forgetable! I agree that the first time I heard it I felt strange cause it really don't sound like 1 song...but right now I think that this is exactly where the special think in the song is! Also it's somehow insane to me to say that the vocals are uninspired...To me the thing that is inspired in the song are probably the vocals and all the choirs parts behind them, which are exactly on "the right place"! At the end I think that that's how new BG sounds and we had to expected it...all of their previous stuf(I mean mostly MOATC and ATGTAT) have this vocals directions, that puts the choirs in "almost most important place", and I think that right now(nowadays) this is the thing that makes BG untouchable for any other band(to my taste, of course), because of the complex and powerful vocals...! The band probably sounds more like a mini opera on some places and I'm truly inlove with that-that's the thing that made me into really deep in BG since the last 3 years!!!!
At the end, just give the song a time...I remember how Road Of No Release was the last song I liked from ATEOT, but nowadays it's my favorite maybe... together with WOT!!! ;)

About the new single, maybe that's the tomorrow's surprise!!! :D

Yes, I'm serious.

It doesn't have a good flow in the vocals, a memorable riff or even a high point. It's mediocre from the beginning to the end and just fucking boring to me.

A neckbreaker Hansi, really?
:roll:

edit: I forgot to say that the mix sucks ballz, Frederik is playing something really cool but you need to use your imagination because the drums are so badly mixed that you can barely hear shit. The new bassist is totaly inaudible, poor guy.
Last edited by Rokubota on 05 Dec 2014 02:42, edited 1 time in total.

LeBard

#757 Post by LeBard » 05 Dec 2014 00:36

The song is – sadly – a mess.

It feels like a longer song that was edited down a couple of minutes. The different parts do not mesh together at all. It starts out good enough, but there’s no natural progression into the chorus at all. It feels forced together. Like some kind of Frankenstein's monster.

It gives me the impression that the guys in the band had all these leftovers from other songs on the table, and just strung them together even though they didn't really fit ... well, I’m too cruel now. Some parts do fit. Kind off. But as a whole it just doesn't work.

I think they spoke about how they tried a lot of different choruses before they "settled" on the one we got, and I wonder if the whole song is overproduced. Maybe it had a better flow once. But after too many hours, days, months in pro-tools they lost track of whatever the song was supposed to be. And if this is the "best" chorus, good god, how did the other sound? Or maybe they were better, and the strive for the "perfect" one bit them in the ass.

I've listened to it a couple of times now and nothing really sticks with me. I wasn't too keen on A Voice in the Dark either, but I believe that was a stronger single than this.

I guess it's ambitious. There’s a lot of stuff going on, and maybe it will grow on me. But right now it's just ... mundane. Maybe they tried to make it a "single" by making it catchy and just stumbled on the way. Trying to please an audicence never works out.

The good news is that I like the production!

Hansi is on top form, the choirs sounds good and I have no problem with the guitar sounds, quite the opposite. So I still have high hopes for the album itself. Maybe it contains other duds, but what I'm after is the 3-4 songs ... or 1-2, that really sticks out. Like Wheel of Time on ATEOT.

There's no vuvuzela in the song though.

That's good.
Last edited by LeBard on 05 Dec 2014 01:48, edited 1 time in total.

ErHaO

#758 Post by ErHaO » 05 Dec 2014 01:19

I agree with the song feeling a bit disjointed. The first minute (up until the chorus starts) feels a bit like another song. From that moment on I hear no problem in pacing, however (which is still the majority of the material). I feel that with 15-30 seconds added to the first minute, they could have made the song better (an extended version download like with Valkeries would be nice :P). But after the initial few listens I have gotten more used to the rather sudden appearance of the chorus. I love the tunes presented and the production sounds as intended: epic.

Traveller in Time

#759 Post by Traveller in Time » 05 Dec 2014 01:45

Just my 2 cents
Epic beginning, strong guitars (really like this dark sound) after then it gets a rollercoaster with typical BG chorus, but i expected a bit more bombast. Maybe the trailer spoilered too much ;) But it feels not much different to the chorus on Otherland. So i see nothing justifying Hansi's statement: "[..]the most epic and catchy chorus we've ever written."
It is catchy that's for sure.
Then the song "just wents" by with some interesting single parts (a bit progressive). I like the ending with the cymbals :)

1:33 till 1:43 reminds me on a other typical BG song, it sounds so familiar, but i don't get it exactly.
2:58-3:00 sounds a bit not smooth (again some progressive element?)
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Rokubota

#760 Post by Rokubota » 05 Dec 2014 01:48

The fact that this song was the single is something that worries me because it could mean that this album has real turds in it. It's that fucking orchestra project man, that's the place where their hearts are.

It can't be just coincidence that the leftovers of that project are their best songs in the last 13 years, ATTWS and Wheel Of Time.

ErHaO

#761 Post by ErHaO » 05 Dec 2014 02:04

Rokubota wrote:The fact that this song was the single is something that worries me because it could mean that this album has real turds in it. It's that fucking orchestra project man, that's the place where their hearts are.

It can't be just coincidence that the leftovers of that project are their best songs in the last 13 years, ATTWS and Wheel Of Time.
Judging from your reactions the previous albums also had quite a few turds for you. If that is where their hearts are, this album could at least be more interesting for you considering there is a lot more real orchestral stuff on this one (and thinking about that btw, they better records some orchestral parts for ATTWS this time around and mix it with the 2012 vocals).

I think it is on par with the previous single (which had a disappointing final part following the second time the chorus kicks in for me) and that one was the least song of the album, save for Sacred Worlds (which was also a bit of a "single" and released earlier without the orchestra).

Dragonfly

#762 Post by Dragonfly » 05 Dec 2014 02:36

JazzJackrabbit wrote:Found a new interview with Hansi and Andre: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgWNQ-EnTXk
That's very nice, thanks a lot! From this interview we can deduce, among other things, that Hansi's favourite colour is probably red. Intriguing.
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

Angus

#763 Post by Angus » 05 Dec 2014 05:54

It's too late for me. NB already squashed all the leaks. Oh well, it's 8:00 PM here and I only have to wait until tomorrow.

bard_92

#764 Post by bard_92 » 05 Dec 2014 09:19

Now I realize that in TOTG there're some Road Of No Release inspirations, which I really like...once again, a great song with a lot of amazing and brutal operatic styled vocals-probably the thing that I expect from BG !!! Production is perfect to me!!! And maybe the only problem was that the trailer just revealed to us a lot of things from the song and it's chorus and maybe that's why we just expected more... :)

Ryu

#765 Post by Ryu » 05 Dec 2014 09:34

Moments that have "grabbed" me so far:

The intro is going to be fucking intensely hype live, fans are going to lose their shit and this initial energy is likely going to compensate for any other shortcomings in least in a live aspect..

The lyrics are strong, some of Hansi's most laborious it feels like. "Steal the stars, deceive the sky". Instantly one of their most memorable lines right there.

The utter outrage in Hansi's voice during the first lines, "How they dare to be".. is palpable. So emotive.

Spiral up to doors all sealed
No turning back
Red door to Discordia
and

What’s going up
It will come down
We’re here to change
There’s war in Discordia

These two pieces are sister pieces of course but this is exactly the kind of dizzying/haunting feeling I wanted from this song.. honestly if it weren't for the out-of-place chorus and not feeling so rushed we'd have a good song here. But anyway.

3:05 to 3:14, the end of the solo. Andre sounds fucking fantastic, he's never quite played like that, Marcus's aggression reminds of The Curse of Feanor but with more balls, and Fred syncs up marvelously with them to tie it all together. However, 2:55 until 3:00 feels a bit messy and almost as if there's a production error of some kind, or as if a band member is missing a step. There's something "off".

Generally speaking Marcus probably has the most sterling element within this song, and perhaps that isn't so much a preferable thing.

And for now, the outro. The juxtaposed shift in timbre of that riff when compared to its other uses in the song - it's ear candy. Also the drumming during this portion.

All this in mind, practically all of these positives are weighed down by the compact nature the song boasts. It feels there isn't enough of some things, or too much of others.. it is like the radio version of a greater track.
Defiant of destiny

bard_92

#766 Post by bard_92 » 05 Dec 2014 09:42

I kind of agree that it's too short...

Feanor l'invincible

#767 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 05 Dec 2014 11:04

We've got a legal lyric video of the song here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdxRHtN ... e=youtu.be
THE CURSE OF FEANOR RUNS LONG!

loren

#768 Post by loren » 05 Dec 2014 11:10

The song in this lyric video is on mono format again (like the latest trailer) and not on stereo.... What's the point in putting up a lyric video in a low quality audio form?? Pfff....
https://www.facebook.com/uncertaingreece
http://www.reverbnation.com/uncertain4
One of my bands. Death/progressive metal from Athens, Greece!

Ryu

#769 Post by Ryu » 05 Dec 2014 11:40

loren wrote:The song in this lyric video is on mono format again (like the latest trailer) and not on stereo.... What's the point in putting up a lyric video in a low quality audio form?? Pfff....
Isn't there also an upcoming version of the single with an alternate version of one of the other tracks?
Defiant of destiny

loren

#770 Post by loren » 05 Dec 2014 11:53

What do you mean?

Ryu

#771 Post by Ryu » 05 Dec 2014 12:32

loren wrote:What do you mean?
I recall reading somewhere there's a "limited edition"/etc. version of Twilight of the Gods that will feature an alternate version of one of the other tracks from Beyond the Red Mirror.
Defiant of destiny

ICBM

#772 Post by ICBM » 05 Dec 2014 12:54

It's depressing that so many people will be introduced to the album through this "lyric video". It's low-bitrate and MONO. It sounds absolutely terrible combared to the CD or even the spotify-version. My guess is that the person who put it together wasn't smart enough to figure out how to retain the quality from the original audio file he worked with. It looks ridiculous by the way, would have been much better with just the lyrics over a black screen or something. Maybe some flashy video effects satisfy NB executives, but I'm completely sure that the band didn't have anything to do with this video. People who will buy the single are probably already fans, but unfortunately this is what will represent the album for everyone else. Song is really good though! I'm sure it's not the best track on the album, but I think it's better than the singles from the last two records.

Apologies for negative first post here. :) I have listened to Blind Guardian since 2001 and the hype for the album is killing me right now.

ErHaO

#773 Post by ErHaO » 05 Dec 2014 14:18

Yeah, it is stupid to go with the low bitrate mono sound, now everybody is commenting about that while the real deal sounds much better.
Ryu wrote:
loren wrote:What do you mean?
I recall reading somewhere there's a "limited edition"/etc. version of Twilight of the Gods that will feature an alternate version of one of the other tracks from Beyond the Red Mirror.
I think you mean the earbook with the vinyl. On the vinyl is an alternate version of Grand Parade and I think a different mix/master of Miracle Machine.

wade-newb

#774 Post by wade-newb » 05 Dec 2014 14:34

Immediately one of my favourite songs of all time. This'll be a personal classic to me forever. I can't even attempt to detsil each thing I love about this song, there is way way too much.
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

Gandalf de Grijze

#775 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 05 Dec 2014 14:36

I actually think it is logical to have a lower soundquality... If people want the best quality of the music: buy the damn single and don't complain about a video... It isn't a normal videoclip where I would expect good quality sound... just a lyric video.. nothing special to begin with.. just a teaser for those who haven't bought the single yet.. so go get the single if you haven't already and complain about things that are wrong on the single... at least that way you will be complaining about something you paid for and was disappointed with....
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

loren

#776 Post by loren » 05 Dec 2014 14:51

There are already people (including me) who have heard the normal stereo version of the single and still don't like it as a song and as a production. The complains about the mono upload, do not regard the quality of it (it's logical that the quality of a mono format is pretty low and misleading as well as not distinguishable by many people {that;s where the "misleading" part goes}). They regard the move of the band/label to actually upload it in this format without even stating it in the title or description of the video.

ICBM

#777 Post by ICBM » 05 Dec 2014 15:17

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:I actually think it is logical to have a lower soundquality... If people want the best quality of the music: buy the damn single and don't complain about a video... It isn't a normal videoclip where I would expect good quality sound... just a lyric video.. nothing special to begin with.. just a teaser for those who haven't bought the single yet.. so go get the single if you haven't already and complain about things that are wrong on the single... at least that way you will be complaining about something you paid for and was disappointed with....
Even if every single person who viewed it would purchase the single, it would still be a poor decision to show off the song with this bad sound quality, instead of a 60 second sample or something. With the way the music industry works today, it WILL impact not only the single but the sales of the full album in a negative way. It would have been better to not release any sort of preview at all than to promote the album with this shitty video.

Guardian'86

#778 Post by Guardian'86 » 05 Dec 2014 16:04

"Twilight Of The Gods" is....AMAZING, AWESOME !! A really great masterpiece of song !! It's pretty clear the new approach of which the band was talking on the first video. This song it's very impressive and innovative and really really stronger !!!
Can't wait for the album.....!!!

Pizzor

#779 Post by Pizzor » 05 Dec 2014 17:10

I had to join just point out to those whom it may interest; Amazon Japan has posted the Japanese version of Beyond the Red Mirror, and it has both of the bonus tracks from the Earbook version and the live tracks from the single. And it's cheaper than the Earbook.

Amazon Japan:
http://tinyurl.com/ntn2obm

Also on CDJapan (I prefer them over Amazon):
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/VICP-65289

blindgfan

#780 Post by blindgfan » 05 Dec 2014 18:19

The fact that it's the shortest non-ballad is soothing enough.

bestpike

#781 Post by bestpike » 05 Dec 2014 18:23

blindgfan wrote:The fact that it's the shortest non-ballad is soothing enough.
Indeed. Somehow short and fast BG songs are often lacking. Some exceptions are Another stranger me or Turn the Page.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

ent

#782 Post by ent » 05 Dec 2014 19:41

Great song! :) I like this sound, mixed old and new. sound is fantsy, bright (old guardian sound). :)
CROATIAN BARD

Blind Guardian Croatian Bards
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blind-Gua ... 0227785608

Rokubota

#783 Post by Rokubota » 05 Dec 2014 20:35

I kinda changed my mind about the song.

Guardian'86

#784 Post by Guardian'86 » 05 Dec 2014 21:09

ent wrote:Great song! :) I like this sound, mixed old and new. sound is fantsy, bright (old guardian sound). :)
Totally agree !!!!

bestpike

#785 Post by bestpike » 05 Dec 2014 21:50

Rokubota wrote:I kinda changed my mind about the song.
It definitely gets better.
Forever to be free

Ryu

#786 Post by Ryu » 05 Dec 2014 22:31

Hearing a higher bitrate version of the song has led me to believe what I thought was a production issue during the solo is actually not a problem at all. Kudos, bitrates.
Defiant of destiny

Led Guardian

#787 Post by Led Guardian » 05 Dec 2014 22:36

Ryu wrote:Hearing a higher bitrate version of the song has led me to believe what I thought was a production issue during the solo is actually not a problem at all. Kudos, bitrates.
The drums at the end are still a bit strangely mixed. It sounds... I don't know, uneven?

Regardless, while by no means their best, I'm quite liking the song.

And... is that a distinct bass guitar sound I can hear. :shock: :o This may be the first time I've consistently heard a bass guitar rhythm throughout a BG song. Have they allowed it to share in the production on this album?? :P
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Traveller in Time

#788 Post by Traveller in Time » 05 Dec 2014 23:32

Mh on CD it sounds much clearer if you ask me (than on the mp3 which i bought from amazon)
Btw i like their booklet fan greetings:
Special thanks to all our loyal fans: If patience is a virtue then you are all saints!!!
:lol:
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

T3hOverlord

#789 Post by T3hOverlord » 06 Dec 2014 00:40

Yo. Back after 4 years to say hi.
Also to say what the fuck is with this single.
I just listened to A Voice In The Dark and it actually sounds like a full song. This song sounds like the 5 minute version of Helloween's Halloween. Also the production sounds like ass compared to how their re-recorded Valhalla/The Hobbit sounded (way more beefy and badass)
In my iTunes library This Will Never End comes on after Twilight Of The Gods and it has way more attack and is a better song than TotG which is saying a lot because This Will Never End has never been a standout song for me.

Also,
that solo part starting at about 2:53-3:00 sounds like it was taken from a completly different song and clipped in, its also the only real cool part in the whole song besides "THE DAMAGE'S DONE"

yeah,

also, anyone remember that dude that got banned like 4 years ago. Fuck what was his name . . . like Hansi Kursch but not quite? He'd go on massive rants that were completely insane all the time and no one could understand anything he was ever saying. I miss him.

Orodaran

#790 Post by Orodaran » 06 Dec 2014 00:56

I listened the song only once... I'm tempted to never hear it again until the album comes out so that it will flow along with the rest of the album 8)
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Ryu

#791 Post by Ryu » 06 Dec 2014 03:23

T3hOverlord wrote:Yo. Back after 4 years to say hi.
Also to say what the fuck is with this single.
I just listened to A Voice In The Dark and it actually sounds like a full song. This song sounds like the 5 minute version of Helloween's Halloween. Also the production sounds like ass compared to how their re-recorded Valhalla/The Hobbit sounded (way more beefy and badass)
In my iTunes library This Will Never End comes on after Twilight Of The Gods and it has way more attack and is a better song than TotG which is saying a lot because This Will Never End has never been a standout song for me.

Also,
that solo part starting at about 2:53-3:00 sounds like it was taken from a completly different song and clipped in, its also the only real cool part in the whole song besides "THE DAMAGE'S DONE"

yeah,

also, anyone remember that dude that got banned like 4 years ago. Fuck what was his name . . . like Hansi Kursch but not quite? He'd go on massive rants that were completely insane all the time and no one could understand anything he was ever saying. I miss him.
H-Hansi... Smurf?
Defiant of destiny

Dragonfly

#792 Post by Dragonfly » 06 Dec 2014 04:09

A little question to those who have a physical copy: who is credited as the writer(s) of "Twilight Of The Gods"?

Ryu

#793 Post by Ryu » 06 Dec 2014 04:42

Just found a similarity between the TOTG solo and Precious Jerusalem's.

3:11-3:13 in TOTG sounds essentially like a sped up version of 3:55-3:58 in Precious Jerusalem.

I mean, it's a pretty common shredding motif, but the resemblance is there anyway.
Defiant of destiny

Blackened

#794 Post by Blackened » 06 Dec 2014 09:57

Dragonfly wrote:A little question to those who have a physical copy: who is credited as the writer(s) of "Twilight Of The Gods"?
Kürsch/Olbrich

Led Guardian

#795 Post by Led Guardian » 06 Dec 2014 11:41

Ryu wrote: H-Hansi... Smurf?
Anyone else remember when he was GOD EDWARD or something like that? Weird times.

Anyway, after several listens, I think I agree with the people who say it sounds like the song is like an abridged radio cut. Its ideas don't have enough breathing space. I still enjoy it though, and it keeps up my excitement for the new album. Wish I could say the same for Diablo Swing Orchestra's Jigsaw Hustle. That song actually made me less excited for their upcoming album. Losing their lead singer I think is going to be a huge blow. It's never good when every vocal line makes you think about how much better it would sound with the last person. Makes me even more glad that Hansi's not likely to jump ship. Some members are just too integral to a band's sound to lose. Okay, digression over.

I somehow don't think BG will ever have that something that they had in the era from IFTOS to ANATO, but although they may have descended a little from their peak, TOTG leaves me feeling like they're still sitting on that high plateau that they've been residing on since then (Yes, I actually like ATITM quite well besides CTBH). Two months is too long.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Dragonfly

#796 Post by Dragonfly » 06 Dec 2014 14:42

Blackened wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:A little question to those who have a physical copy: who is credited as the writer(s) of "Twilight Of The Gods"?
Kürsch/Olbrich
Thank you! Then I think it's safe to say that "Twilight Of The Gods" is not "Winter's Coming". I'm pretty sure it's Song 9.

loren

#797 Post by loren » 06 Dec 2014 15:10

Dragonfly wrote: .....Then I think it's safe to say that "Twilight Of The Gods" is not "Winter's Coming". I'm pretty sure it's Song 9.
Which, according to Hansi, was a collection of parts....So, it isn't odd that a lot of people find the track to have parts irrelevant to the song... There's also a feeling that there are parts ripped out of the song for whatever reason....

bestpike

#798 Post by bestpike » 06 Dec 2014 16:12

loren wrote:
Dragonfly wrote: .....Then I think it's safe to say that "Twilight Of The Gods" is not "Winter's Coming". I'm pretty sure it's Song 9.
Which, according to Hansi, was a collection of parts....So, it isn't odd that a lot of people find the track to have parts irrelevant to the song... There's also a feeling that there are parts ripped out of the song for whatever reason....
Yeah indeed. To me it sounds like a super polished deluxe version of one of the simpler structured songs found in Atitm. Which is not bad per se.
Forever to be free

Dragonfly

#799 Post by Dragonfly » 06 Dec 2014 16:29

loren wrote:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking about too since the song features so many different parts and fragments. But I like it!

Avelar

#800 Post by Avelar » 06 Dec 2014 22:37

I also like the song despite it being not very well structured. First of all I agree with Ryu that it is going to be a killer live song, with this intro and singalong chorus. That made me more passionate towards the forthcoming tour. I take this song as their selection for live performances which means that the main purpose was to make a simple song with many catchy moments. Probably they tried too much doing this... but anyway it is a good addition to their repertoire.
I think that Twilight of the Gods would be in place on ATEOT and wouldn't be the worst song there. For example i like it more than i liked Tanelorn (Into The Void) after the first listen.
So, see you at BG concerts and let's "Witness the twilight of the gods..." together!
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.