Blind Guardian's 10th Album, "Beyond the Red Mirror"

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
bard_92

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

#701 Post by bard_92 » 03 Dec 2014 11:56

ErHaO wrote:Probably another version of the album :P

To be serious, I either think new samples or another trailer. The previous trailer said part 1 so I'm fully expecting new ones to come (would be really cool if they made a trailer for each song and release one every week till release, but I am not expecting that).
A Trailer for each song!!! WOW! That would be awesome...We have enough time for this and every week would be filled with emotions :)

ErHaO

#702 Post by ErHaO » 03 Dec 2014 13:28

I just realized it is their newest single so it could be a new videoclip as well. If so, lets hope the clip is better than A Voice in the Dark :lol:

Still hope it is a new trailer though.

bestpike

#703 Post by bestpike » 03 Dec 2014 14:10

oh come on, jan 30, the latest date possible. rats!
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Isis65

#704 Post by Isis65 » 03 Dec 2014 21:18

Palantyre wrote: I did a Google image search for "chemise" and, uh, I don't think that word means what you think it means. Good thing I did this at home and not at work.

I think Hansi would look pretty fetching in one of those things, though.
totally agree with you.
Or better: Google Translator says that "chemise" can be traslato as "man shirt" or "sexy lingerie".
Now, I really hate men with black shirts, for a reason I don't wanna explain here now.

But Hansi in lingerie and leather jacket....mmmmmmmm....
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

Ryu

#705 Post by Ryu » 04 Dec 2014 04:09

I'm actually surprised TOTG didn't leak. Don't retailers get cds and such early all the time? Like, days in advance?

I also remember ATITM's promo leaking two weeks or so before the album's release.. but that's a little different
Defiant of destiny

bard_92

#706 Post by bard_92 » 04 Dec 2014 07:35

1 day left!!!! 8) :o :D

Dragonfly

#707 Post by Dragonfly » 04 Dec 2014 15:43

Ryu wrote:I'm actually surprised TOTG didn't leak. Don't retailers get cds and such early all the time? Like, days in advance?

I also remember ATITM's promo leaking two weeks or so before the album's release.. but that's a little different
It actually DID leak.
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

Wizard's Crown

#708 Post by Wizard's Crown » 04 Dec 2014 15:48

Dragonfly wrote:
Ryu wrote:I'm actually surprised TOTG didn't leak. Don't retailers get cds and such early all the time? Like, days in advance?

It actually DID leak.
From a quick check on Google I didn't find anything..

Dragonfly

#709 Post by Dragonfly » 04 Dec 2014 15:50

Wizard's Crown wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:

It actually DID leak.
From a quick check on Google I didn't find anything..
It's available on one of Russian social networks...

bestpike

#710 Post by bestpike » 04 Dec 2014 16:23

First review here I guess: I'm not very impressed :/. It's not breaking any new ground (I get the feeling it's mostly composed of bits and pieces from previous songs), the chorus is not top quality, it's slightly repetitive for BG standards, the solo parts are not impressive. I would compare it to the likes of Straight through the mirror, just a bit better. A solid song, but apart from that, no wow factor (where are you Fly? now that shook the ground like a motherfucker). Maybe my opinion will change later with consecutive listens.
Forever to be free

blindgfan

#711 Post by blindgfan » 04 Dec 2014 16:37

bestpike wrote:First review here I guess: I'm not very impressed :/. It's not breaking any new ground (I get the feeling it's mostly composed of bits and pieces from previous songs), the chorus is not top quality, it's slightly repetitive for BG standards, the solo parts are not impressive. I would compare it to the likes of Straight through the mirror, just a bit better. A solid song, but apart from that, no wow factor (where are you Fly? now that shook the ground like a motherfucker). Maybe my opinion will change later with consecutive listens.

Yep, sounds like right off ATITM.

bestpike

#712 Post by bestpike » 04 Dec 2014 16:52

I'll be posting similarities I find. The beginning solo comes right off Tanelorn minute 3-4, only sped up. This is extremely harsh criticism by the way, no other band I know would withstand even 50% of such scrutiny.
Forever to be free

bestpike

#713 Post by bestpike » 04 Dec 2014 17:03

blindgfan wrote:
bestpike wrote:First review here I guess: I'm not very impressed :/. It's not breaking any new ground (I get the feeling it's mostly composed of bits and pieces from previous songs), the chorus is not top quality, it's slightly repetitive for BG standards, the solo parts are not impressive. I would compare it to the likes of Straight through the mirror, just a bit better. A solid song, but apart from that, no wow factor (where are you Fly? now that shook the ground like a motherfucker). Maybe my opinion will change later with consecutive listens.

Yep, sounds like right off ATITM.
That's maybe the biggest problem. I can't find any high (orgasmic) points in the song, it's just chugging along flatly, exactly coming off the filler catalogue of Atitm. Maybe I just haven't found it yet though.
Forever to be free

Darth Arrow

#714 Post by Darth Arrow » 04 Dec 2014 17:06

I got my copy today, thanks to an Austrian recordstore I preordered this from.

Unfortunately I'll have to agree with other comments. TotG is in my books clearly weaker single song, than the previous ones. The intro is very promising and heavy, but the song itself isn't really kicking ass in any standard. The chorus doesn't really get any better in full, compared to what everybodys already heard from the trailer clip. And it's far from being even good in "BG-standards". That doesn't mean it's bad, but compared to all the awesome choruses which make tens of thousands of people to chant them in unison... I can't picture TotG ever accomplishing that live. I know I'm being unfairly harsh towards the chorus, but if the band states it's their best ever, I think I as a fan did have grounds to have reasonably high expectations for the chorus. And compared to those expectations the chorus is mediocre at best.

The song as a whole reminds me strongly of ATitM mixed with elements from IftOS and Demons & Wizards. It mostly has similar "stipped down" feel to it than how the whole of ATitM sounded. I'm wondering why they decided to realease TotG as the single for the upcoming album, and I'm certainly hoping that it's not because it would be the best song out of the album. Hopefully this was the first song to be completely ready and therefor was pushed out as a single, and the rest of BtRM will be more "kickass". Official lyrics:

How’ve they dared to be
Such misguided creatures
How’ve they dared to be
Of such evil nature
Spiral up to doors all sealed
No turning back
Red door to Discordia

Steal the stars
Deceive the day
A sign of evil
They’re gone with a final warning

Chorus:
Witness the twilight of the gods
Will they ever return
A storm will take us
And then wipe us out
There’s no retreat

We’re trapped in twilight
While the gods will drowse
Gods will drowse
They’ll wait and sleep
Until a new dawn’ll save us from the dark

The damage’s done
The king is gone

There is war
Wherever I’ll roam
Gods will come and
Gods will go
The spinning wheel keeps turning

Now get up
Lay down your ancient faith
We’re the chosen ones
Come feel the change

A way
Let me show a new way
When you dare to walk with me
Bow down
And surrender
The old gods

Black or white
To me it’s grey
A sign of evil
I hail all these non-believers

Chorus:
Will they ever return
A storm will take us
And then wipe us out
There’s no retreat

Gods will drowse
They’ll wait and sleep

Solo

Deliver your gods
They shall be slain
I’m their fallen son
Don’t be afraid

A way
Let me show a new way
When you’re going to walk with me
As one
We’re infernal

What’s going up
It will come down
We’re here to change
There’s war in Discordia

Sure as death
We all must fade
A sign of evil
Now reach for a new horizon

Chorus:
Will they ever return
A storm will take us
And then wipe us out
There’s no retreat

Gods will drowse
They’ll wait and sleep

bard_92

#715 Post by bard_92 » 04 Dec 2014 17:19

I just listen it four times...and I still don't know what to say, cause it's too early when we're talking about a BG song. I must admit that the progressive parts are probably already one of my favorites...
I still can't say that the song is awesome, their best...unique or things like that, but I must dammit something - it's probably the most interesting song to listen to...It's just so funny and awesome with the parts like: "The damage's done"/"The King is gone", "Away...", also the beginning vocals..I really like that DW approaches...About the chorus, Yes, it's really catchy! But probably not like the Mirror Mirror ones, as they tried to make compares.
At the end, even it's too early to say something.., I have to say that I really like the song..The progression in it won me :)))

bestpike

#716 Post by bestpike » 04 Dec 2014 17:19

The thing I dislike the most about the chorus is when the choir repeats "Gods will drowse" for a second time (thanks for posting the lyrics, I couldn't understand that part myself). I feel bad every time I hear that..
Forever to be free

JazzJackrabbit

#717 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 04 Dec 2014 17:25

bestpike wrote:I'll be posting similarities I find. The beginning solo comes right off Tanelorn minute 3-4, only sped up. This is extremely harsh criticism by the way, no other band I know would withstand even 50% of such scrutiny.
I haven't heard the song yet but a lot of their solos tend to sound the same-ish.

Darth Arrow

#718 Post by Darth Arrow » 04 Dec 2014 17:30

I'm probably overly cynical towards the single because I did like the trailer clip, and because statements made about the song beforehand don't really match up with the final product. I do admit that almost all BG songs do grow with time and the way you'll listen to them chages over time. But even if / when I eventually end up liking TotG, it won't change the fact that the first-time listen was a clear letdown. And let me make this absolutely clear, the song is NOT BAD. It just wasn't nowhere as awesome as I had thought. If you listen to it in a mood that you're listening to a 3rd lost single out of ATITM, you'll propably like the song from the start :P

bestpike

#719 Post by bestpike » 04 Dec 2014 17:34

Darth Arrow wrote:I'm probably this cynical towards the single because I did like the trailer clip, and because statements made about the song before hand don't really match up with the final product. I do admit that almost all BG songs do grow with time and the way you'll listen to them chages over time. But even if / when I eventually end up liking TotG, it won't change the fact that the first-time listen was a clear letdown. And let me make this absolutely clear, the song is NOT BAD. It just wasen't nowhere as awesome as I had thought. If you listen to it in a mood that you're listening to a 3rd lost single out of ATITM, you'll propably like the song from the start :P
Yeah indeed. Those are my feelings as well more or less. The single must be really strong (or maybe the strongest) in my opinion, especially for bands like BG who release every 4 (and now 5) years. They did that almost every time (think of Fly, And then there was silence, Mirror Mirror, Imaginations, etc) until Atitm (A Voice in the dark could have been replaced by Wheel of Time). I don't know what made them change their mind. Either that or the new album is not that good... which I really don't think is the case.
Forever to be free

JazzJackrabbit

#720 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 04 Dec 2014 17:39

I guess I'm in the minority on this one. My preference is that the first single be a good track but not one of the best on the album. I want to discover the best tracks when I listen to the album as a whole. To me, releasing the best song on album as the first single would be like showing the best scene in a movie (or the climax) for the first teaser trailer.

bard_92

#721 Post by bard_92 » 04 Dec 2014 17:42

I agree...It's a really nice and awesome song...the only thing at the moment is just the chorus where I expected maybe more, because of what they said so many times.That's all. And it is probably not week, it's a strong one, different one, really catchy and clean one, I really like the ANATO sound in it, but to me it's still not the strongest one...maybe need time :)...But I'm absolutely Ok with this, cause right now, I can't stop listening to the song and at the same time I didn't expect the best from BG in a fast song...To me, their epic pieces were always the ones that makes me crazy about them :P

Darth Arrow

#722 Post by Darth Arrow » 04 Dec 2014 17:45

bestpike wrote:Yeah indeed. Those are my feelings as well more or less. The single must be really strong (or maybe the strongest) in my opinion, especially for bands like BG who release every 4 (and now 5) years. They did that almost every time (think of Fly, And then there was silence, Mirror Mirror, Imaginations, etc) until Atitm (A Voice in the dark could have been replaced by Wheel of Time). I don't know what made them change their mind. Either that or the new album is not that good... which I really don't think is the case.
I liked AVitD, and I think it's better to have a shorter song as a single, than for example Whell of Time, and not necessarely the best from the album. ATTWS is a bit different, you can also go all the way and have a 15min single :lol: And also I think they might've, intentionally or not, favoured AVitD because of the popularity of ASoIaF / GoT at the time of release. Fly is maybe the best song out of ATitM and Another Stranger Me is too one of the stronger songs. But if TotG is one of the stronger songs from BtRM, we'll be again having a weaker album comparable to ATitM on our hands in January. On the other hand, I think TotG turned out to be quite far from how the band has described BtRM. Which once again begs the question, why did they choose it as the single? Is it really timing constraints? Even that doesn't feel so likely when they take 4-5 years to record an album nowadays.

bestpike

#723 Post by bestpike » 04 Dec 2014 17:46

Darth Arrow wrote:
bestpike wrote:Yeah indeed. Those are my feelings as well more or less. The single must be really strong (or maybe the strongest) in my opinion, especially for bands like BG who release every 4 (and now 5) years. They did that almost every time (think of Fly, And then there was silence, Mirror Mirror, Imaginations, etc) until Atitm (A Voice in the dark could have been replaced by Wheel of Time). I don't know what made them change their mind. Either that or the new album is not that good... which I really don't think is the case.
I liked AVitD, and I think it's better to have a shorter song as a single, than for example Whell of Time, and not necessarely the best from the album. ATTWS is a bit different, you can also go all the way and have a 15min single :lol: And also I think they might've, intentionally or not, favoured AVitD because of the popularity of ASoIaF / GoT at the time of release. Fly is maybe the best song out of ATitM and Another Stranger Me is too one of the stronger songs. But if TotG is one of the stronger songs from BtRM, we'll be again having a weaker album comparable to ATitM on our hands in January. On the other hand, I think TotG turned out to be quite far from how the band has described BtRM. Which once again begs the question, why did they choose it as the single? Is it really timing constraints? Even that doesn't feel so likely when they take 4-5 years to record an album nowadays.
Indeed. The previous descriptions of the singles matched closely the song, but this time not. I wonder... Avitd was not a bad choice I agree, and the song was pretty good as well. I remember I was always playing it just before I watched a new Game of thrones episode form Season 1 haha.
Forever to be free

Darth Arrow

#724 Post by Darth Arrow » 04 Dec 2014 17:55

bestpike wrote:Indeed. The previous descriptions of the singles matched closely the song, but this time not. I wonder... Avitd was not a bad choice I agree, and the song was pretty good as well. I remember I was always playing it just before I watched a new Game of thrones episode form Season 1 haha.
Yeah, so we have A Past and Future Secret / IftOS, where while IftOS may not be the best choice as a single from the album (I would've prefered perhaps Bright Eyes or TSfmR, which would've been shorter and easier for the audience, or perhaps even Another Holy War which is the simplest and perhaps catchiest song from IftOS) it is still extremely good song.
Then we have Mr. Sandman which is..... Mr. Sandman :lol:
Mirror, Mirror is in my books the best song they've ever done, so as a single from an equaly good album it fits.
ATTWS is, as I said, a special case. Their longest and most epic song, and straight as a single. Good way to get publicity.
Bard's Song as a single? Say no more!
Fly and ASM we already covered.
AVitD was easily marketable and is also a strong song.
And now we have TotG :?
Confusing.

loren

#725 Post by loren » 04 Dec 2014 18:05

If someone's got the link to stream/download the song, send me a pm! I can't find it!
https://www.facebook.com/uncertaingreece
http://www.reverbnation.com/uncertain4
One of my bands. Death/progressive metal from Athens, Greece!

Gandalf de Grijze

#726 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 04 Dec 2014 18:12

With the exception of ATTWS, I think all of their singles were good songs, but definately not the best that the album connected to it had to offer... ATTWS is still extremely high on my fav list, and the best off of ANATO in my opinion.
A Voice In The Dark, while a strong song, is in my opinion the weakest song on ATEOT. Haven't heard TOTG yet... but I'm not expecting them putting out the best song as a single.
For me it is a success if it has the typical BG sound and doesn't sound too much like another song they may have done...
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

ErHaO

#727 Post by ErHaO » 04 Dec 2014 18:19

I like it, a solid track overall. I would not be surprised if it will grow further on me.

But I have no clue as how this sounds like ATITM? Only the first few verses maybe. Hansi does more vocally here than almost that entire album. And there is the more clear presence with some classic lead sounds from Andre, which is a really good sign, as I missed that a bit on the previous two albums in most songs. I think this song is less straightforward than their previous three singles (not their best, I love Fly a lot and Another Stranger me as well).

The song description was quite a bit off though. The chorus is good, but not distinct from previous efforts in terms of being a live hit. Stuff like Sacred (in its simplicity), Ride Into Obession and Tanelorn (the way the choruses allows for singing interactions) were better in this aspect (and those were way better than a Voice in the Dark, which was not a very good live song). But whatever, I will shout that first sentence live anyways :mrgreen:

JazzJackrabbit

#728 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 04 Dec 2014 18:23

bard_92

#729 Post by bard_92 » 04 Dec 2014 18:27

I agree with Gandal De Grijze, that ATTWS is the only single that contains the most powerful song from the album it presents...And for me, TOTG is already better and more complex than AVITD...

Darth Arrow

#730 Post by Darth Arrow » 04 Dec 2014 18:39

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:With the exception of ATTWS, I think all of their singles were good songs, but definately not the best that the album connected to it had to offer...
I have to ask, pray tell which song from ATitM was better than Fly? :shock:
I do agree though, that I don't expect them to release the best song of the album as a single. But I certainly didn't expect them to release an ok-song either, after the praise they gave to it in the news. Oh well, Hansi said it once more in the interview from Helsinki, that "if you're just thinking of pleasing someone else than yourself you're lost."

Gandalf de Grijze

#731 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 04 Dec 2014 18:40

I'm liking it!
I can see the references to the last D&W album, and also the ATITM parts, but to me these are not bad things. The chorus is probably one of the more cheesy they've written, and definately as easy to sing along to as Valhalla and Mirror Mirror...
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands

Gandalf de Grijze

#732 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 04 Dec 2014 18:42

Darth Arrow wrote:
Gandalf de Grijze wrote:With the exception of ATTWS, I think all of their singles were good songs, but definately not the best that the album connected to it had to offer...
I prefer Otherland, The Edge and The New Order over Fly

Darth Arrow

#733 Post by Darth Arrow » 04 Dec 2014 18:47

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:I prefer Otherland, The Edge and The New Order over Fly
Otherland and The Edge are both good, I give you that, but The New Order? :roll:

Oh and by the way, Hansi is listed on the booklet as "Hans" and I'm guessing Oliver won't be playing the bass in studio either anymore, because Barendt is credited with bass on the single. So it seems like the bands and Olivers ways have parted permanently.

blindgfan

#734 Post by blindgfan » 04 Dec 2014 18:55

Darth Arrow wrote:
I do agree though, that I don't expect them to release the best song of the album as a single. But I certainly didn't expect them to release an ok-song either, after the praise they gave to it in the news. Oh well, Hansi said it once more in the interview from Helsinki, that "if you're just thinking of pleasing someone else than yourself you're lost."

That's easy: Turn the Page

JazzJackrabbit

#735 Post by JazzJackrabbit » 04 Dec 2014 18:56

Really liking the song. Is it revolutionary? No. Is it "the best chorus they've ever written"? Probably not but it is a very catchy chorus. I think it's a perfect first single the way AVITD was.

Also as far as ATITM goes my favourite is This Will Never End, but I think Fly is a close second.

bard_92

#736 Post by bard_92 » 04 Dec 2014 19:00

This will never end, Otherland,Turn The Page, Straight Through The Mirror, Lionheart, The New Order...

Isis65

#737 Post by Isis65 » 04 Dec 2014 19:13

thanks for sharing....
I'm listening to the song, the chorus already came into my head.
Not bad.
A great appetizer for the abum ....
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

bard_92

#738 Post by bard_92 » 04 Dec 2014 19:56

Okkkk...after a lot of listenings :D , I really like it! What I like the most is the beginning operatic(DW styled) vocals, the vocal innovations in the song, the harsh and sharp choir parts(like some kind of a angry opera), the cinematic sounding, the production is absolutely awesome for me, maybe their clearest one, together with MOATC and ATGTSAT....so, right now, I truly can't wait for the album!!!!!
Great appetizer anyway!!!

P.S. Don't know about the chorus, but probably every other part in the song is one of the most catchiest things I have ever heard...as it was already said, it's like a 3-4 songs combined....simply awesome move !!! :)))) And that part "Awayyyy" just can't get out of my head!!! Probably "The Damage's done"(which so amazing and brutal part too) to my head :) I love it!
Last edited by bard_92 on 04 Dec 2014 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

Andvari

#739 Post by Andvari » 04 Dec 2014 20:26

I got mine from Napalm Records I hope i get it tomorrow or sat. I can't wait for it. It's coming I know it is

loren

#740 Post by loren » 04 Dec 2014 20:46

What the hell?? The bassdrum can be barely heard.... The drums in general are pretty low in the mix, especially the bassdrum... The absence of clear,heavy guitars is something that reminded me of ANATO (not bad for my taste regarding BG). As for the song, it seems like there are 2 songs in 1, which is not good. One part is from the beginning till the first chorus (maybe with the "the damage's done" part too) with the rest of the song being the 2nd part. Maybe it's because I had listened to the 1st teaser a lot, though.

One thing is for sure for me and that has to do with the production. It seems that it is focusing a lot on vocals (very good sound and clarity and on top of everything really) and neglecting the drums which are crucial for a metal band. I'm not even going to talk about the bass... :p

Frederick's drumming is pretty monotonous and uninspired, sadly...
https://www.facebook.com/uncertaingreece
http://www.reverbnation.com/uncertain4
One of my bands. Death/progressive metal from Athens, Greece!

bard_92

#741 Post by bard_92 » 04 Dec 2014 20:52

loren wrote:What the hell?? The bassdrum can be barely heard.... The drums in general are pretty low in the mix, especially the bassdrum... The absence of clear,heavy guitars is something that reminded me of ANATO (not bad for my taste regarding BG). As for the song, it seems like there are 2 songs in 1, which is not good. One part is from the beginning till the first chorus (maybe with the "the damage's done" part too) with the rest of the song being the 2nd part. Maybe it's because I had listened to the 1st teaser a lot, though.

One thing is for sure for me and that has to do with the production. It seems that it is focusing a lot on vocals (very good sound and clarity and on top of everything really) and neglecting the drums which are crucial for a metal band. I'm not even going to talk about the bass... :p

You're right about about the vocals, but I have to say that this is the most important thing for me in their music and I'm truly more than happy about this move...the vocals are probably the most important thing for me about BG!!! And the vocals on this one album seems to be their best! I've never heard so clear ones... :)

Rokubota

#742 Post by Rokubota » 04 Dec 2014 20:56

ATITM is an all around mediocre album (soulless production with mostly weak songwriting) and this song is also pretty weak. The solo sounded somehow diffrerent and interesting at the beginning but it went nowhere after that, uninspired.

The song has a dark vibe but it's ruined by a desperate attempt of a sing along chorus that doesn't fit and on top of that it's too cheesy. Hansi's performance is also soulless and he is out of his mind if he thinks of this song as a Valhalla and Mirror Mirror worthy successor.

In one word FORGETTABLE

Dragonfly

#743 Post by Dragonfly » 04 Dec 2014 21:03

On a side note... There's a circulating rumour that says the second single will be out before the end of the year, for the song "At The Edge Of Time". Don't take it seriously though, this may easily be wrong.

bard_92

#744 Post by bard_92 » 04 Dec 2014 21:32

Rokubota wrote:ATITM is an all around mediocre album (soulless production with mostly weak songwriting) and this song is also pretty weak. The solo sounded somehow diffrerent and interesting at the beginning but it went nowhere after that, uninspired.

The song has a dark vibe but it's ruined by a desperate attempt of a sing along chorus that doesn't fit and on top of that it's too cheesy. Hansi's performance is also soulless and he is out of his mind if he thinks of this song as a Valhalla and Mirror Mirror worthy successor.

In one word FORGETTABLE
FORGETTABLE????YOU SERIOUS??? That the song is not a chorus follower to Mirror Mirror or Valhalla doesn't mean that it's Forgetable! I agree that the first time I heard it I felt strange cause it really don't sound like 1 song...but right now I think that this is exactly where the special think in the song is! Also it's somehow insane to me to say that the vocals are uninspired...To me the thing that is inspired in the song are probably the vocals and all the choirs parts behind them, which are exactly on "the right place"! At the end I think that that's how new BG sounds and we had to expected it...all of their previous stuf(I mean mostly MOATC and ATGTAT) have this vocals directions, that puts the choirs in "almost most important place", and I think that right now(nowadays) this is the thing that makes BG untouchable for any other band(to my taste, of course), because of the complex and powerful vocals...! The band probably sounds more like a mini opera on some places and I'm truly inlove with that-that's the thing that made me into really deep in BG since the last 3 years!!!!
At the end, just give the song a time...I remember how Road Of No Release was the last song I liked from ATEOT, but nowadays it's my favorite maybe... together with WOT!!! ;)

About the new single, maybe that's the tomorrow's surprise!!! :D

Feanor l'invincible

#745 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 04 Dec 2014 21:37

- 6/10 for a first listening.

- Good riffing introducing the song, good melodies from andré.. then Angry Hansi comes in, great.

- Chorus is not "Mirror Mirror" or "Valhalla" level. Not at all. It comes too early in the song, 1'02?! I have a feeling it would have been better if the second part of the chorus was just in the last chorus in the song..
Best part of the song: After the first chorus "The damage's done, the king is gone" then the melody.. nice combination with what comes next, the progression until the next chorus is excellent, it reminds me of the still better progression in "Road of no Release" (I'll find you, slipping away.. I'll bind you, still! I conquer the world aha.. aha.. etc.)

- Solo is not that melodic.

- The song should've been called War in Discordia since the part in 3'50 (It's waaaaar in discoooordiaaa) sounds really great! Kinda reminds of some ANATO stuff.

- Nice drumming by the end.

A Blind Guardian song demands time, I can sense this one does not require as much as the time other singles required, I find this understanble, it's a single and it's supposed to be commercial and catchy.. so metal fans buy the album later. It's all Marketing. Now we'll sit and wait for the album with the epic pieces to come, then if it's all like "Twilight of the Gods", we can go back and listen to IftOS, NiME, ANatO or AtEoT.
THE CURSE OF FEANOR RUNS LONG!

Freak666

#746 Post by Freak666 » 04 Dec 2014 21:59

To me the songs sounds pretty decent. Really can't see what's the matter?

The chorus is ok. It just looses a bit of wow-effect because it pops up to early in the song.
Yes it is cheesy, but we germans like it that way. ;)

Also the rest is all pretty solid and I enjoyed it a lot. After three listenings I can say it's a "8 out of 10"-song.

I just don't like the name of the other world "Discordia". It's a bit overused and would have hoped for something more unique like "Avantasia" or what ever. ;)

Feanor l'invincible

#747 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 04 Dec 2014 22:03

Freak666 wrote:To me the songs sounds pretty decent. Really can't see what's the matter?

The chorus is ok. It just looses a bit of wow-effect because it pops up to early in the song.

Also the rest is all pretty solid and I enjoyed it a lot. After three listenings I can say it's a "8 out of 10"-song.

I just don't like the name of the other world "Discordia". It's a bit overused and would have hoped for something more unique like "Avantasia" or what ever. ;)
Come on, you don't want to mess with Tobi! :P
THE CURSE OF FEANOR RUNS LONG!

Freak666

#748 Post by Freak666 » 04 Dec 2014 22:13

Feanor l'invincible wrote:
Freak666 wrote:To me the songs sounds pretty decent. Really can't see what's the matter?

Come on, you don't want to mess with Tobi! :P
Of course not. But back then Tobi created a really cool sounding Fantasy Name completely by hisself. I'm just missing this regarding "Discordia".

How would it sound?
"There's war in Avantasiaaaaaaaa" :D

ErHaO

#749 Post by ErHaO » 04 Dec 2014 22:22

loren wrote:What the hell?? The bassdrum can be barely heard.... The drums in general are pretty low in the mix, especially the bassdrum... The absence of clear,heavy guitars is something that reminded me of ANATO (not bad for my taste regarding BG). As for the song, it seems like there are 2 songs in 1, which is not good. One part is from the beginning till the first chorus (maybe with the "the damage's done" part too) with the rest of the song being the 2nd part. Maybe it's because I had listened to the 1st teaser a lot, though.

I have this feeling too, and think the "second part" is of higher quality. But I had the same with A Voice in the Dark back in the day, where I listened that sample of the second verses to death before release. (and with that song I liked the first part better). It will become more familiar over time I think. The only gripe I have is that the build up to the chorus is not really present.

As for the production, the drum sound is not good as a whole. I hope I will get used to it more, because the drumming by Fredrick is solid here. That is the only gripe I have soundwise. I can hear the rythm guitars well enough and think the lead of Andre sounds clear trough the mix. And the vocals sound awesome (Bass? uh.... yeah :P ). I will check the vinyl out on a high end system at my parents place this weekend, let's see how it holds up then.

Orodaran

#750 Post by Orodaran » 04 Dec 2014 22:42

They raised my expectations saying the chorus is one of the best they've ever written... not even close for me :P but it's nice to hear new and yet familiar music 8)
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px