Power Metal or Prog Metal?

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
brazilian_bard

Power Metal or Prog Metal?

#1 Post by brazilian_bard » 03 Apr 2013 00:01

What do you guys think? Cuz almost everywhere I read about BG people label them as a power metal band. It confuses me, because when I hear the expression "power metal" it reminds me a lot of things I just can't link with Blind Guardian music and feel. It is said prog metal has borrowed over the years influences from several genres, includind classical and jazz. Ok, BG definitly has nothing with jazz and fusion, but about classical I think I don't need to say anything, right?

Everybody talks about Dreamtheater and Symphony X as prog metal bands, and Rush as prog rock, just examples.

If prog is known as a very worked and complex music, it makes much more sense for me to see BG as a prog metal band. What do you think? Please let me know if I am wrong!

Gandalf de Grijze

Re: Power Metal or Prog Metal?

#2 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 03 Apr 2013 00:30

first 2 albums: speed metal
tfttw & sfb: power metal
the rest: Blind Guardian metal
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

bestpike

#3 Post by bestpike » 03 Apr 2013 02:51

I'd say its unlike anything else. To give a similar example, you can say Tarantino movies are action/crime/thriller/whatever, but these mean much less than saying its a Tarantino movie, because he's very different than other directors, unique in a way, and also noone tries to copy him, at least successfully (maybe rodriguez, but still its not the same). It's the same with BG, they do their own thing, and nothing I've ever listened to comes as close as to not know if its BG or not.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Drahcir

#4 Post by Drahcir » 03 Apr 2013 04:17

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:first 2 albums: speed metal
This.

Edain

#5 Post by Edain » 03 Apr 2013 14:04

I'd also say, the term "Blind Guardian Metal" makes most sense as it doesn't really fit into the traditional labels - but if you had to categorize it, I'd call it Progressive Power/Melodic Metal. Big choirs, big melodies, the double base and Powerchords - that's Power Metal and that's definitely the core of the music. But it's more than that - although the overall song structures stay basically the same since the old albums (3 x verse/(identical) chorus with solos inbetween) these are more like the glue that holds the otherwise very diverse songs together: every verse is different, different moods, different chord progressions, even the solos aren't just a jam session on top of a few chords - they also change chords, tempo and feeling, sometimes even with key changes: And despite lacking weird meters, ecstatic shredding or super-exotic scales, that's really a progressive approach. :)
"Edis Rehto Eht Morf Snoitanigami!"

Traveller in Time

#6 Post by Traveller in Time » 03 Apr 2013 23:09

Bards Metal, even Hansi used this! ;)

i would thrown in symphonic metal as well, at least for ATEOT
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Dentarthurdent

#7 Post by Dentarthurdent » 04 Apr 2013 10:55

Who cares, as a matter of fact?
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

Avelar

#8 Post by Avelar » 04 Apr 2013 20:00

The first album is a distinctive speed metal album. The next four are probably speed/power, but already with their own elements. And since NIME the style really becomes very original which I wouldn't categorize precisely enough. Edain described it well, nothing to add.
Dentarthurdent wrote:Who cares, as a matter of fact?
It doesn't matter unless you need to sort your music by styles for example, for more convenient search. And I just put Blind Guardian to Power category. It wouldn't make much sense if i created the Blind Guardian category only for Blind Guardian :P
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.

gergor

#9 Post by gergor » 05 Apr 2013 01:21

Avelar wrote:It doesn't matter unless you need to sort your music by styles for example, for more convenient search.
Now this made me curious... So how many CDs/LPs/whatever do you have to manage then?

Well, it would make sense for me to make a separate BG section, after all (the box counted as one release), their stuff makes about 10% of my entire collection :D...

Avelar

#10 Post by Avelar » 05 Apr 2013 09:25

gergor wrote:
Avelar wrote:It doesn't matter unless you need to sort your music by styles for example, for more convenient search.
Now this made me curious... So how many CDs/LPs/whatever do you have to manage then?
I'm ashamed to admit that i was talking about mp3 folders. Besides some releases that were bought, all other music was downloaded. The fact that it's hard to buy CDs where i live (i have to order from other countries) is not a good excuse, i think.
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.

gergor

#11 Post by gergor » 05 Apr 2013 11:49

Ah alright. Then it's of course perfectly fine point ;).

Well, I've gone with Speed Metal for Battalions and Follow the Blind, everything after that was labelled as Power Metal. Though it's still weird to have them in the same category with DragonForce and Freedom Call on the one side and Savatage, Halloween and Jag Panzer on the other... But I'd have the same problem with prog...

Gandalf de Grijze

#12 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 05 Apr 2013 12:23

on my computer i label them as "Metal" simply because they are not "follk" or "pop"
I hardly care about subgenres anyway...
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

somnia

#13 Post by somnia » 06 Apr 2013 03:52

Why not power progressive metal?
power progressive metal: polimat
game music and soundtrack: dogac yavuz

brazilian_bard

#14 Post by brazilian_bard » 10 Apr 2013 22:32

Perfect!
bestpike wrote:I'd say its unlike anything else. To give a similar example, you can say Tarantino movies are action/crime/thriller/whatever, but these mean much less than saying its a Tarantino movie, because he's very different than other directors, unique in a way, and also noone tries to copy him, at least successfully (maybe rodriguez, but still its not the same). It's the same with BG, they do their own thing, and nothing I've ever listened to comes as close as to not know if its BG or not.
I loved the way you explained it!
Edain wrote:I'd also say, the term "Blind Guardian Metal" makes most sense as it doesn't really fit into the traditional labels - but if you had to categorize it, I'd call it Progressive Power/Melodic Metal. Big choirs, big melodies, the double base and Powerchords - that's Power Metal and that's definitely the core of the music. But it's more than that - although the overall song structures stay basically the same since the old albums (3 x verse/(identical) chorus with solos inbetween) these are more like the glue that holds the otherwise very diverse songs together: every verse is different, different moods, different chord progressions, even the solos aren't just a jam session on top of a few chords - they also change chords, tempo and feeling, sometimes even with key changes: And despite lacking weird meters, ecstatic shredding or super-exotic scales, that's really a progressive approach. :)
Isn't it? I agree with you! And one more thing I think is really impressive, is this fact they, in many cases, surprise you at the last minutes of a song, when you think there is nothing more new to listen on that song, they came with a whole new progression...

No one cares about it, maybe true, I was just curious about what you people who really know the band think about it.
Now I'm sure, there is no label for Blind Guardian. Because no label can fit them. Their music is above it all.
Thank you all for your considerations!

Angus

#15 Post by Angus » 11 Apr 2013 05:16

According to Wikipedia it's:

Battalions of Fear: speed metal

Follow the Blind: speed metal/power metal

Tales From the Twilight World: speed metal/power

Everything Else: power metal

Dragon Guardian

#16 Post by Dragon Guardian » 21 May 2013 16:57

Love the Blind Guardian metal tag :D

But yeah, you're right their later stuff is very unique and definitely not easy to pigeonhole into a single category. I think they can be labelled as prog because they do incorporate many different time signatures and have a unique approach to songwriting. After all prog doesn't mean you have to sound like Dream Theater or something, its a very vague term.

t.a.j.

#17 Post by t.a.j. » 22 May 2013 19:18

I think that "Power Metal" is fine as a descriptor. They were innovators of the genre and still are part of it, even though they have their own sound which incorporates a lot of "alien" influences. Genres are vague and fuzzy things to begin with and in my opinion, being part of a movement - a group of bands growing (more or less) popular at roughly the same time, and which are perceived as "belonging together" by the scene - is the best justification for putting a band in a genre there is. Of course, associations with and the use of genre terms change over time.

So, for BG, they were part of a wave of mostly German bands, growing into fame during the late 80ties - mid 90ties. This includes, but is not limited to Gamma Ray, Rage, Running Wild, Stratovarius, Iced Earth and, as a kind of precursor success story, Helloween. Most of those bands had both a strong local and Asian market behind them during the 92-97 period, while that style of metal was basically dead in the USA. They released quality albums, some of highlights of their careers (Land Of The Free, Imaginations From The Other Side, Black Hand Inn, Black In Mind/Lingua Mortis/End Of All Days, Visions). During that time, most of the 80ties Power Metal Bands had given up or grown weak, the big classic metal bands Sabbath, Maiden & Priest were faced great crises, Thrash had been replaced by groove metal,... in that time, those bands stood alone. And that is good enough for me to put them in one genre.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Gardien Aveugle

#18 Post by Gardien Aveugle » 28 May 2013 00:56

Blind guardian is not power metal... but power metal is Blind Guardian!!!!! :lol: :roll: :twisted: :twisted:

Lorn_Songster

#19 Post by Lorn_Songster » 31 May 2013 16:30

theyre also very folky :P , in the 2 last albums Curse my name, Skalds, war of thrones sound very folky to me, maybe its just me

dark.dragon
Location: Banja Luka, Republic Of Srpska, Bosnia And Herzegovina

#20 Post by dark.dragon » 21 Sep 2013 02:33

There shouldn't even be attempts to put this perfection into one already existing genre, with any other band.
So out of nowhere it will rise...

Rokubota

#21 Post by Rokubota » 23 Sep 2013 21:48

Melodic/ Folk/ Speed/ Power/ Symphonic metal with a little bit of prog and Thrash :)