Collector’s Box

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
rain

Collector’s Box

#1 Post by rain » 11 Jul 2012 09:52

Hansi wrote: "This box will contain remixed versions of the complete studio album works (based on the original releases) we have done for Virgin."

A night at the opera will be remixed? That's like a dream come true. Since the first time I listened that record (it was the release date ;) ), it's my biggest wish listening Precious Jerusalem in a new mixed version :D

Dentarthurdent

Re: Collector’s Box

#2 Post by Dentarthurdent » 11 Jul 2012 11:54

Looks like it's becoming fancy to release a box with all your albums for a hundred something Euros.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

bestpike

#3 Post by bestpike » 11 Jul 2012 17:36

Shame that they didn't write any songs during the tour breaks. They mentioned this helped them on Ateot.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

gergor

#4 Post by gergor » 11 Jul 2012 20:36

Hm, though this box doesn't make too much sense imho, I guess I'll get it (as I probably get anything by BG that comes to my hands, hehe...).
But a remixed version of ANATO sounds promising.

Actually, I'd prefer a "real" collectors box with some (re-)releases of some rare stuff like the '89 live tape (!!!!) or some of those awesome soundboard bootlegs like Santa Guardian, War of Wrath or one of those Japanese recordings.
I guess this will never happen...

bestpike

#5 Post by bestpike » 12 Jul 2012 06:52

I'm not so sure the ANATO remix will have much to offer, as its still pretty recent probably, I mean its just a bit older than Atitm, and the This Will Never End remix wasn't that different. But I might be wrong, as this particular album has been mentioned to not have been mixed as they would have liked in some parts. Anyway, I'm mostly looking forward to those pre-ANATO songs that don't exist in any Live releases, and thus we don't have any recent good quality version of them, such as Thorn, Noldor, Curse of Feanor, When Sorrow Sang, A Dark Passage, Theatre of Pain etc.
Forever to be free

rain

#6 Post by rain » 12 Jul 2012 09:29

Of course, I'm looking forward to listen remixes from older songs like Time what is Time or Altair 4.

But from my point of view, mostly benefit of a remix should have ANATO :)

gergor

#7 Post by gergor » 12 Jul 2012 09:33

That's what I was talking about: On War of Wrath there's Ashes to Ashes, The Hobbit, Thorn, When Sorrow Sang, ok Santa Guardian has nothing special but A Past and Futre Secret with Georgina Biddle on violin, and Nightfall in the East has Black Chamber and Blood Tears.
I think it'd be awesome, if these recordings were finally released officially.

And btw didn't people complain about ANATO being "overproduced" and "messy"?
(But the more I think about that, could these points be eliminated by remixing...?)

rain

#8 Post by rain » 12 Jul 2012 09:49

@gergor: messy: Yes , overproduced: No ;)

I think ANATO sounds like the sound engineer didn't know which instrument is the main instrument. So you can listen to each instrument, but there is no coherence between the instruments - so many instruments but the sound has no punch.

wade-newb

#9 Post by wade-newb » 12 Jul 2012 11:39

Hansi hinted at playing Battlefield live :shock:
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

gergor

#10 Post by gergor » 12 Jul 2012 14:44

rain wrote:@gergor: messy: Yes , overproduced: No ;)

I think ANATO sounds like the sound engineer didn't know which instrument is the main instrument. So you can listen to each instrument, but there is no coherence between the instruments - so many instruments but the sound has no punch.
Ok, you're right. But wouldn't remixing in the way you mentioned make ANATO more "sterile" sounding? (I'm not too familiar with sound engineering, so this is obviously a very vast guess)
In my opinion, ANATO has an homogenic sound, that somehow fits to the bombastic ond maybe overloaded arrangements.
But anyways, a remix would indeed be interesting...

bestpike

#11 Post by bestpike » 12 Jul 2012 20:17

Personally I think ANATO sounds perfect, although it took me more than 4 years to fully understand it. I wouldn't mind on a different mix though, what's there to lose anyway when you have the old one as well.
Forever to be free

bard_92

#12 Post by bard_92 » 12 Jul 2012 22:42

bestpike wrote:Personally I think ANATO sounds perfect, although it took me more than 4 years to fully understand it. I wouldn't mind on a different mix though, what's there to lose anyway when you have the old one as well.
!!!!!!!!

bestpike

#13 Post by bestpike » 12 Jul 2012 23:33

bard_92 wrote: !!!!!!!!
Hey I was not only new to BG, but metal altogether then. ANATO hit me like freight train :P. For many months/years I didn't know what the fuck was that stuff I was listening to, and I found enjoyable and comprehensible only Battlefield and The Soulforged back then.
Forever to be free

gergor

#14 Post by gergor » 13 Jul 2012 00:08

I remember my very first concert that happened to be a BG show, when I prayed that Silence should finally come to an end (shame on me!).
So I guess ANATO is disturbing people who are new into metal. :D

ErHaO

#15 Post by ErHaO » 13 Jul 2012 02:23

bestpike wrote:I'm not so sure the ANATO remix will have much to offer, as its still pretty recent probably, I mean its just a bit older than Atitm, and the This Will Never End remix wasn't that different.
Really? To me This Will Never End was one of the bigger improvements on MoaTtC. Much more open, balanced and natural sound than the ATitM version. ANatO could definately use remixes like that imo! I would be very happy if they take the MoaTtC approach, as long as they do not take away the drums too much.

bard_92

#16 Post by bard_92 » 13 Jul 2012 10:53

To me ANATO took a time, of course, but this is probably the most artistic, unusual and original thing I have ever heard. I'm not sure but maybe even its production fits somehow to it's bombastic choruses and so on...Anyway, I'm really not sure that I would like to hear the MOATTC approach. Somehow I feel that some of the remixed songs were just stripped,they're not that heavy and they lose their unique sound,maybe, cause BG wants to add new people to their auditory...and that thing with the drums...But I really like the re-recorded version, except Valhalla. What I mean is that when I hear the original Imaginations from the other side I know exactly from which album this song comes and fits, the same is with Nightfall, Somewhete far beyond and etc...but their new versions just loses themselfs.
So I'm really curious to hear the remixed versions,especially on ANATO, but I really hope the songs, especially on this album, to keep their mystic and really artistic sound! About This Will Never End, I like the new remixed version, except it's chorus! The old's one chorus sounds way better to me

bestpike

#17 Post by bestpike » 13 Jul 2012 12:00

bard_92 wrote:To me ANATO took a time, of course, but this is probably the most artistic, unusual and original thing I have ever heard. I'm not sure but maybe even its production fits somehow to it's bombastic choruses and so on...Anyway, I'm really not sure that I would like to hear the MOATTC approach. Somehow I feel that some of the remixed songs were just stripped,they're not that heavy and they lose their unique sound,maybe, cause BG wants to add new people to their auditory...and that thing with the drums...But I really like the re-recorded version, except Valhalla. What I mean is that when I hear the original Imaginations from the other side I know exactly from which album this song comes and fits, the same is with Nightfall, Somewhete far beyond and etc...but their new versions just loses themselfs.
So I'm really curious to hear the remixed versions,especially on ANATO, but I really hope the songs, especially on this album, to keep their mystic and really artistic sound! About This Will Never End, I like the new remixed version, except it's chorus! The old's one chorus sounds way better to me
Well even if they suck (and by suck I mean not be 100% amazing but only 90%) we still got the older versions, so no worries. And about ANATO, the moment my brain could decipher Punishment Divine (which happened about 2 years after buying the album), it was like a massive mind orgasm, couldn't believe what I was listening to. At that point I realized of the genius of Blind Guardian. 10 years later I still believe it. That's fucking powerful shit, cause good things aren't meant to last that long.
Forever to be free

bard_92

#18 Post by bard_92 » 13 Jul 2012 14:45

Yeah, you're totally right... we cannot lose something, when we already have it, so we can only win something from this project :D About Punishment Divine, what can I say... one of the 10 miracels that ANATO offers to us :)

bard_92

#19 Post by bard_92 » 14 Jul 2012 20:31

This day I listened a lot the two versions of TWNE and I have to agree that the new one sounds really better. It will be nice if someday they make the same with the whole album

bard_92

#20 Post by bard_92 » 15 Jul 2012 18:58

OK, since I bought AKG headphones before 2-3 days, I really have to apologize. Now I can really hear the diferences between the old and the new versions. I have to say that songs like Bright eyes, Imaginations.... and TWNE sound absolutely better than the originsl versions. The sound is realy clear and on some places the songs are even more raw than before :D But I still don't like Mirror Mirror's remix. The chorus is really stripped in this one... can't hear the choir voices

DREAMASTER

#21 Post by DREAMASTER » 23 Jul 2012 17:49

rain wrote:@gergor: messy: Yes , overproduced: No ;)

The sound engineer was Charlie ;)
Behold the sword of power... Excalibur
Forged when the world was young
and bird and beast and flower were one with Man,
and Death was but a DREAM!!!

DREAMASTER

#22 Post by DREAMASTER » 23 Jul 2012 17:54

Personally I didn't liked the re-mixes. They remixed the songs to be updated to this BG century sound. So they sound that they all were writen and recorded today. And one can notice most that in the drums sound.

Sorry but I don't like Charlie Bauerfiend mixing (and remixing) and mastering work.

DREAMASTER

#23 Post by DREAMASTER » 23 Jul 2012 17:55

bestpike wrote:I'm not so sure the ANATO remix will have much to offer, as its still pretty recent probably, I mean its just a bit older than Atitm, and the This Will Never End remix wasn't that different.
Indeed.

T3hOverlord

#24 Post by T3hOverlord » 23 Jul 2012 19:28

The new This Will Never End yanks out the double bass rolls on the last chorus, so therefore it is inferior to the original version.

bard_92

#25 Post by bard_92 » 23 Jul 2012 22:26

Exactly, that was the same as I meant. BG is a group which I like cause it has 9 albums and all of them are so different and unique and it is really difficult to get tired from the band! But these remixes sounds like all of these different songs, which are supposed to tells diferent stories comes from one album. Somehow the drum sound makes them souds simmilar !!!! What BG had to do- in my opinion- was just to make some elements which we can't hear good in the songs, to sound louder, more clear, I don't know what is the right word for this, but just to make the songs better, not to change them that much and make them simmilar to each other. Somehow I like only IFTOS and TWNE more than the original versions. Really hope that the remixes in the collectors box will sound more identical to the original versions, just makeing them a little cleaner maybe and hearing more elements. Otherwise, if they continiue the memories of a time to come approach, I couldn't imagine all of their albums sounding the same way.... just because they -maybe- would like to make them sound like their music nowadays...thats just stupid. Don't get me wrong, I like their music nowadays, but they can't make anything to be something which is not, it just didn't fits ;)
And at the emd, some of the songs were even stripped......:(

T3hOverlord

#26 Post by T3hOverlord » 24 Jul 2012 06:35

I also have always loved the Majesty and Run For The Night demos but could never stand the studio versions

Darth Arrow

#27 Post by Darth Arrow » 26 Jul 2012 09:02

bard_92 wrote:BG is a group which I like cause it has 9 albums and all of them are so different and unique and it is really difficult to get tired from the band! But these remixes sounds like all of these different songs, which are supposed to tells diferent stories comes from one album. Somehow the drum sound makes them souds simmilar !!!! What BG had to do- in my opinion- was just to make some elements which we can't hear good in the songs, to sound louder, more clear, I don't know what is the right word for this, but just to make the songs better, not to change them that much and make them simmilar to each other.
[Neil's voice from The Young Ones] Or guys, guys, what about this? Maybe, just maybe, BG wanted MoaTtC sound like a whole album on its own? Maybe they didn't want the best of -album to sound like it was cut together from small pieces and different albums, but maybe they wanted a unified presentation of their best songs? That's heeea-vvvy![/Neil]
So I don't believe they'll try to fade away the differences between albums in this collector's box. There, the respective albums are whole albums standing on their own, whereas in MoaTtC they had to make the songs taken from different albums sound like an album. Do I make any sense?

bard_92

#28 Post by bard_92 » 26 Jul 2012 10:17

Yes, probably there's a lot of sense in your words ;) So the only think that I can say is that I really hope that you'll be right and BG will keep the independence on each of they're albums in the collectors box !

DREAMASTER

#29 Post by DREAMASTER » 26 Jul 2012 13:16

Well that didn't happened with the 2007 remixes of the first two albums.

ent

#30 Post by ent » 26 Jul 2012 18:34

What do you think will be a much different sound of the remastered version?
Better or not???
CROATIAN BARD

Blind Guardian Croatian Bards
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blind-Gua ... 0227785608

DREAMASTER

#31 Post by DREAMASTER » 26 Jul 2012 21:31

Well everyone knows the problems with the 2007 remasters. Most opinions I read are negative. Plus the first two albums were remixed the same way the songs for the Best of were done which is a shame.

So if Charlie is going to remix the all thing then is my believe that it will sound a quite bad again.

T3hOverlord

#32 Post by T3hOverlord » 27 Jul 2012 05:27

They should . . . .

....find a new producer

ent

#33 Post by ent » 27 Jul 2012 13:55

T3hOverlord wrote:They should . . . .

....find a new producer
I agree!

I have remastered albums SFB and TFTTW, and sound good for me.
CROATIAN BARD

DREAMASTER

#34 Post by DREAMASTER » 27 Jul 2012 23:50

Have you compared to the original versions?

ent

#35 Post by ent » 29 Jul 2012 14:01

DREAMASTER wrote:Have you compared to the original versions?
yes
CROATIAN BARD

bard_92

#36 Post by bard_92 » 17 Aug 2012 05:31

"next weeks", said Hansi on 11 july and now is 17 august , but there is stil no information ???? :/

Traveller in Time

#37 Post by Traveller in Time » 27 Aug 2012 19:03

bard_92 wrote:"next weeks", said Hansi on 11 july and now is 17 august , but there is stil no information ???? :/
hehe exactly my thoughts. That's why he said weeks :wink:

But well some more specific info (bonus stuff, artwork etc., release date) would be great at all. I even tried to find those interviews in which they mentioned the Collector's Box, but haven't found one.

On the other side school vacations just finished last week in North Rhine Westfalia, so i guess they all spent their time with their families, which i can totally understand. :D
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

bard_92

#38 Post by bard_92 » 18 Sep 2012 20:37

Ok, I truly apologize to the band for some of my previous posts :| I have to say that it take me some time to get into the remixed versions of the songs from MOATTC, but after that happened,a few weeks ago, I just can't stop listening to them...There's just something absolutely magical in their production :) For me they're really better, but I found that, mostly after I bought a good tehnique for listening. But, anyway, I stil really don't like the new Mirror Mirror... just have no idea how they decided to do this with the song :o
Anyway. I love you guys, once again you did a REALLY AWESOME work...

Can't wait the collectors box :)

brazilian_bard

#39 Post by brazilian_bard » 19 Sep 2012 16:50

Well, well, well... about MOATTC, I enjoy this album and it didn't surprise me in any way, first because I was not expecting nothing less than a really good work, and for sure, new, different versions of the same old songs. That's what remixes are suposed to be. So it's really interesting to have this "new recordings", to hear what the band thinks about their own songs, what they would change, what they would cut off (not your friend's hands), and things like that. I feel this album as a hystorical great work, a die-hard fan's gift. Maybe it can be, like Marcus and Hansi said, a good entrance for new fans that don't know the whole history of Blind Guardian. I don't know if it's the best album to tell somebody that don't know them for listening. Maybe the person can have a wrong musical impression of the band, but I might be wrong. I'm saying this because the remixed versions are very clear, and may don't have the whole epic atmosphere. The context too. One thing is you hear "The Hobbit" after listening to Time What is Time, Journey Through the Dark, Black Chamber, Theatre of Pain, Tanelorn, Ashes to Ashes and In the Forest. I think you understand what I mean.
They should consider doing what many bands are doing, that is, to play whole albums live, from first to last track. Metallica and Strung Out are examples of bands that are actually doing this :D

About ANATO... well... I still can't get it. I mean, I love Precious Jerusalem, Under the Ice and Sadly Sings Destiny. I really love this songs, and they are really unique inside all BG discography. All of their songs are unique, but this album is pretty specially unique and you know it. Why not say, a little extravagant. I will continue to listening this album, because I know their songs are very complex and I believe I need more time to get into it :? BTW: NIME is one the most complex things I've ever heard, but it is more easily digestible.

Finally, a remix of ANATO still would be really amazing. Specially because this album was left out of MOATTC. You see they have something special with this album. For good or bad.
I just hope, IF one day it happens, that they don't kill the drums again :mrgreen:

bard_92

#40 Post by bard_92 » 19 Sep 2012 23:17

Yeah, I really know what do you mean about listening - for example- The Hobbit after the other songs in the same album :) I can feel the same for every BG song in each of their albums, cause their CD's are like movies, you need to listen the whole thing !!! That's why I can listen each BG album from the beggining to the end without getting bored :)
About ANATO - for me it's the most special BG album and in some ways I think that it sounds perfect...From the other hand, I truly think that this album could be better, cause the production is a little bit messy, that's why I think that it could be better :D And,at the end- YEAH- they have to keep the drums :D

Bert

#41 Post by Bert » 28 Sep 2012 23:47

wade-newb wrote:Hansi hinted at playing Battlefield live :shock:
It's funny, 'cause that song (along with And Then There Was Silence) is regarded as the best song from that album. I've heard that it hasn't been played live due to its overdubbing, which...isn't really that bad, compared to something like The Soulforged or the bloated yet adored ATTWS.

Dark Age

#42 Post by Dark Age » 02 Nov 2012 19:02

According to Amazon the box is called "The Magic Box" containing 15 CD. Release date: 28. January 2013.

http://www.amazon.de/The-Magic-Box-Blin ... d_add_1_dp
Our lives are merely trees of possibilities

bard_92

#43 Post by bard_92 » 02 Nov 2012 20:09

OOOOOOOO, THANKS, MAN !!! I had really bad day Just Can't describe you how you change it )))))
THANK YOU VERY MUCH
CAN"T WAIT FOR THIS
LOVE YOU BARDS

Traveller in Time

#44 Post by Traveller in Time » 02 Nov 2012 22:42

:shock: Wow, Thanks Man!

Can't wait for it.

gergor

#45 Post by gergor » 03 Nov 2012 13:03

Any ideas on the content?

Let's hope it's nothing like Battalions - ANATO plus the singles covering this time and Tokyo Tales...
As said, I'm still hoping for some fancy bootlegs and a CD-version of the '89-Live-Tape.

bard_92

#46 Post by bard_92 » 03 Nov 2012 13:39

First of all I believe that there would be all of BG albums-from Battalions till ATEOT + The Forgoten Tales and maybe Tokyo Tales ! I had really no idea for the other CD's
Maybe there would be some DVD with some nice interviews about their work on the orchestral project, their future and thinks like that. I hope that A Twist In The Myth will be also remixed

bestpike

#47 Post by bestpike » 03 Nov 2012 21:47

I really can't see how this thing could have anything new of substance, but let's wait until more details come out first.
Forever to be free

Traveller in Time

#48 Post by Traveller in Time » 04 Nov 2012 14:25

Hopefully some big interview with the band concerning every single album (about ideas, working on it, troubles they had)

Mybe there will be finally the documentation "Travelers at the edge of time", from which we heard nothing more besides it was shown at some metal-movie(?) festival in USA....
( http://www.blind-guardian.com/2011/03/3 ... ime-debut/ )

bestpike

#49 Post by bestpike » 04 Nov 2012 17:54

Traveller in Time wrote:Hopefully some big interview with the band concerning every single album (about ideas, working on it, troubles they had)

Mybe there will be finally the documentation "Travelers at the edge of time", from which we heard nothing more besides it was shown at some metal-movie(?) festival in USA....
( http://www.blind-guardian.com/2011/03/3 ... ime-debut/ )
Oh yeah, there is that documentary, totally forgot about it, probably due to lack of new info since its release. Also, there could be some nice footage from the orchestral recordings I guess, with some nice new samples.
Forever to be free

Traveller in Time

#50 Post by Traveller in Time » 05 Nov 2012 22:39

Found some more infos about the box.

http://www.spincds.com/blog/2012/11/05/ ... -and-time/