deeper meaning of "a voice in the dark"

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Parathion

deeper meaning of "a voice in the dark"

#1 Post by Parathion » 08 Mar 2012 13:25

After listening a lot to the song and knowing the lyrics by heart i might have found a deeper meaning to the song than just the telling of the tale of a song of ice and fire. If you look carefully it is as if the song goes about a person who doesnt want to live anymore and is at the point of throwing himself of a building or a cliff or ... It looks to me it's a song about suicide.
I can explain in the lyrics if you guys ant

bestpike

Re: deeper meaning of "a voice in the dark"

#2 Post by bestpike » 08 Mar 2012 16:41

Knowing Hansi, that sounds very plausible. Maybe even those messages were not made by Hansi consciously. Post what you found :P
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

brazilian_bard

#3 Post by brazilian_bard » 08 Mar 2012 17:05

I don't know about this particular song, but I realize many BG song lyrics seems to have a second, or many, meanings... it´s really interesting. It seems there are mixed messages too...

Just like "never trust the northern winds, NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON FRIENDS..."

And many, many others. It's really amazing how they mix fantasy and reality.

Orodaran

#4 Post by Orodaran » 08 Mar 2012 17:46

Parathion wrote:If you look carefully it is as if the song goes about a person who doesnt want to live anymore and is at the point of throwing himself of a building or a cliff or ... It looks to me it's a song about suicide.
Haven't read the book but the *entire* song is about a guy falling down, so maybe that's why you get the idea. The character of the song is falling from the beginning of it 'til the end.
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

T3hOverlord

#5 Post by T3hOverlord » 09 Mar 2012 04:01

Yeah if you think about it, that scene in the book was actually extremely quick, wasn't really discussed int he book. When I first read the lyrics I thought they stretched it out way too much to have actually just been singing about that particular scene in the book. I too thought about suicide as the hidden meaning.

Since we're on this topic, anyone else know any BG song second meanings? I read a discussion a while back about Harvest of Sorrow being about a woman having a miscarriage.

Midnight

#6 Post by Midnight » 09 Mar 2012 08:29

This is interesting. I dare to say that most (if not all) BG songs that appear to just be telling stories, have a deeper meaning. I have some lectures at school today, so I'll have time to think about it and maybe include some of my interpretations in the evening.

Parathion

#7 Post by Parathion » 09 Mar 2012 14:08

i do say this is my personal interpretation and in my oppinion it goes about someone who is at the point of jumping and thinks about the persons he leaves behind. At the end of the song he jumps. It also tells his story of the good and bad moments. So in my oppinion the main chorus tells us about the depressive thoughts always taking over. Ow and sorry for my english not being totally flawless.

A sense of denial Come witness my trial (Here he outweights the good moments and the bad moments --> the trial)
The crow has turned into a liar (per haps here the response to the commonly taken idea that one should treasure life but he feels betrayed)
I’ll live, I may die (obvious)
I’ve failed though I’ve tried (here is made clear he chooses to die after a long reconcillation)
But finally I fly (finally he finds the courage to jump)

It is the fool Who puts faith in false saviors (always hoping on things to get better but nonetheless
The innocent understands He’s still falling(he who looks at all the problems sober just before the jump understands it's no use. it won't get better)

And furthermore He’s now aware “Come spread your wings Awake now” Same as above, he finally sees it clear that there's no point in living anymore)
The enemy within Will soon appear (The depression, the demon as you might call it inside him will show himself by suicide)

You’re trapped in my mind Here this whole passage goes about the deamon or the depression inside him. It can't get out of his head.)
Ask for the key
Don’t search for fine lines
There’s no release

Though I can feel its presence (this passage tells again that he's not mentally fit, there are signs towards the outside world)
There’s a sign to reveal
Then after all
I’m sure I’ll keep on falling

They send a sign When dead winter will come again (the word 'THEY' is important here in my oppinion; this passage is about his thought of what the others -they- will say after the suicide. Deadwinter is a methaphor for suicide.
There from the ruins I will rise (When i will be dead they will all finally see that there was something wrong with me, finally they'l see me 'rise'.

Fear the voice in the dark ( the main chorus is about the depression or the voice in his head telling him he needs to kill himself.
Be aware now
Believe in dark wings and dark words
The shadow returns (Some good moments but the bad thoughts always return. Bad thoughts = the shadow)
Fear the voice in the dark
Be aware now
Black shadows they hide and they wait(Same here, bad thoughts sometimes fade away but they always come back)
But they soon will return

It will never be the same
And nothing remains
I can’t find a way But I’m facing it Oh there will be no savior(he's having problems and he can't find a way out -> no savior.)

I can foresee all the pain They are about to creep in “Curse me, hate me, hurt me, kill me” (He thinks about the reactions of all the people he knows, they will curse him, hate him, ... He thinks about their pain.)
Oh they will rest no longer (Here i think is revenge the feeling he has. It's their own fault. They won't rest anymore, they'll be constantly thinking they caused it.)

“Paralyzed and frozen (this passage is about how the others will feel after he's dead. they will be broken and they shouldn't look bach to past things)
Free your mind
You’re broken
Paralyzed and frozen
Learn to roam
Don’t look back”

On stunning fields of mayhem I will find no relief (i suppose here he's telling that even things he likes very much 'STUNNING' fields of mayhem doesnt interest him anymore. You can see with the word stunning that he is talking about something he really likes. finding no relief -> no interest anymore)
It’s just a dream
I wish that I could tell you(He wished that he could tell it to someone but he can't)

The vision fades
There is no sanctuary
What will go up Surely comes down (Here it seems to me he's saying that everything that lives eventually needs to die so he's finding reasons to approve his suicide)

In vain (Here he really tried to look for answers but 'in vain'. Why does he need to feel bad, why can't he be happy...)
Still I don’t understand
So talk to me again
Why do I fear these words?
What keeps holding me back?

I hear a voice (the last chance not to jump, find a solution now so he can understand why he's feeling bad)
It comes from everywhere
“Now find a way
Cause you’re the key
Begin to understand”

The descending ends (here he jumps, or he dies ...)
Now I know I won’t fly again (he knows he won't have any good thoughts anymore its all over)
On through the mist, I’m facing ground (through the mist = towards the next life, the afterlife, ...)

Like i already said this is my personal oppinion. I do feel this song goes about suicide since i have been in the same 'story'. I can cope with lots of his ideas bacause of my real life experience. If anyone would have good links with Hansi i would really love to know if i'm close to the real meaning of this song or if i'm totally wrong but i think i'll be close.

Midnight

#8 Post by Midnight » 09 Mar 2012 18:12

It's difficult for me to judge, since I haven't read this book, but I've always looked at it as a storytelling about a person who is about to make a difficult decision in life - a leap of faith more than an actual suicide. But the more I think about it, the less sense it makes and some paragraphs make no sense at all.

Perse

#9 Post by Perse » 09 Mar 2012 18:45

In the book the character has multiple dreams about falling down and in the most of them, if I'm not mistaking, he is not able to fly, that happens later in the story. So every dream is a new trial, if he can do it or not, just like every problem in life is a new trial for you to prove that you can succeed. But even if you fail once, that does not mean that everything is over now, you may get a second chance to reach your objectives ("there from the ruins I will rise"). That reminds me of another quote from the book: "What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger"
But just because you reached your goal it does not mean that you can rest now, because there will always be new trials ("the shadow returns"). But I think it is hard to read something into A Voice In The Dark, because it is very close to the book, but not only about that one scene. The line "Dark wings and dark words" for example has almost nothing to do with the situation of this one particular character but is important for the rest of the story. The phrase "They'll send a sign when deadwinter will come again" is, in my opinion, an allusion to the words of the house Stark "Winter is coming".
And while we are at this whole A Song Of Ice And Fire lyrics, to which scenes is War Of The Thrones referring to? There are some connections to the book, but I for example don't get who could be "the tillerman"...

wade-newb

#10 Post by wade-newb » 09 Mar 2012 20:23

Perse wrote:In the book the character has multiple dreams about falling down and in the most of them, if I'm not mistaking, he is not able to fly, that happens later in the story. So every dream is a new trial, if he can do it or not, just like every problem in life is a new trial for you to prove that you can succeed. But even if you fail once, that does not mean that everything is over now, you may get a second chance to reach your objectives ("there from the ruins I will rise"). That reminds me of another quote from the book: "What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger"
But just because you reached your goal it does not mean that you can rest now, because there will always be new trials ("the shadow returns"). But I think it is hard to read something into A Voice In The Dark, because it is very close to the book, but not only about that one scene. The line "Dark wings and dark words" for example has almost nothing to do with the situation of this one particular character but is important for the rest of the story. The phrase "They'll send a sign when deadwinter will come again" is, in my opinion, an allusion to the words of the house Stark "Winter is coming".
And while we are at this whole A Song Of Ice And Fire lyrics, to which scenes is War Of The Thrones referring to? There are some connections to the book, but I for example don't get who could be "the tillerman"...
War of the Thrones, if I remember correctly, also has ties to the Innkeeper's Song.
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

Midnight

#11 Post by Midnight » 09 Mar 2012 22:07

T3hOverlord wrote:Yeah if you think about it, that scene in the book was actually extremely quick, wasn't really discussed int he book. When I first read the lyrics I thought they stretched it out way too much to have actually just been singing about that particular scene in the book. I too thought about suicide as the hidden meaning.

Since we're on this topic, anyone else know any BG song second meanings? I read a discussion a while back about Harvest of Sorrow being about a woman having a miscarriage.
As promised, I’ve gathered my thoughts and decided to start with The Script For My Requiem. It tells a story about a crusader who remembers back a crusade he was a part of. He clearly regrets the things he did and most importantly – realises why he did it.

I went out of my mind
in desert lands
insanity´s pawn
out of control
much too long I´ve been isolated
from my thoughts
enclosed by the leader´s spell
bewildered to march
as a glory knight
and I tried

I think Hansi is trying to make us realise, that we all are crusaders in a way. The poor medieval soldier did some very bad things, thinking he might be actually doing something good – he got his script for his requiem. The point is that the society – the common thinking induced by governments and corporations through media can sometimes make us do things that are - simply put - insane. And that we might not even realise it being insane because we get the script for our requiem.

Very inspiring I would say. Treat reality with reason guys and not with what other people say.

Other excellent songs with second meaning worth mentioning:
Ride into Obsession: Took me 13 books of WoT series to finally understand what the most important line ( Still I’ll be on my way ) means. It is about the meaning of life.
Silence: The end of a civilization. Our civilization.
Majesty: Accepting life’s burden.
Blood Tears: What real friendship means.
The New Order: Changes in life. This song helped me to get through a difficult breakup last summer. Live on in healing rain …
And I could go on and on.

I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions :)

T3hOverlord

#12 Post by T3hOverlord » 09 Mar 2012 22:46

now that I've read over Parathion's interpretation of the lyrics, I am even more convinced, as most of the lyrics seem to not really relate to the book at all.

t.a.j.

#13 Post by t.a.j. » 10 Mar 2012 03:28

From a more, shall we say traditional angle, I think that the song takes place after the fall, when Bran is struggling with the trauma of falling and being crippled. The main reason, why I think so, is the line "The crow has turned into a lier". And Bran is only starting to talk to the three-eyed crow after he regains consciousness. So more than the fall itself, I think that the song focuses on bran struggling to move from a state of falling (in the book, he also says that he is still falling) and a state of flying, that the crow promises to him. Hence I would be doubtful about any interpretation that takes those two words to be synonymous.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Isis65

#14 Post by Isis65 » 12 Mar 2012 18:50

I state that I haven't read the saga of "a song of ice and fire" (I started it with the first book, but I quit it after a few chapters .... definitely, I cannot get passionate on fantasy literature)
I read your interpretation, and I must say that seems plausible to me .... the only one who could answer is Hansi, but I don't even care ... the fact to arouse different emotions, and give to many listeners the opportunity to have their own interpretation and their meaning seems to me very indicative of the beauty of a song ....
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

Parathion

#15 Post by Parathion » 13 Mar 2012 16:29

Also in another post of me i found that a bards song goes about someone who died recently. I also got the reaction of some ppl that propably i was right because Hansi's father died at that time.

wade-newb

#16 Post by wade-newb » 13 Mar 2012 16:50

Ha. This forum should do a sort of weekly thing where we analyse different BG song-lyrics, or other lyrics we might all be familiar with. Could be fun.

Midnight

#17 Post by Midnight » 13 Mar 2012 19:10

wade-newb wrote:Ha. This forum should do a sort of weekly thing where we analyse different BG song-lyrics, or other lyrics we might all be familiar with. Could be fun.
I second that 8)

T3hOverlord

#18 Post by T3hOverlord » 14 Mar 2012 23:42

Parathion wrote:Also in another post of me i found that a bards song goes about someone who died recently. I also got the reaction of some ppl that propably i was right because Hansi's father died at that time.
So is Hansi singing that his father's life was great and his memories will live on then?

"Don't be afraid of the dark and cold, cause the bards' songs will remain" - Don't be afraid of death, you won't be forgotten?

yamasidious

#19 Post by yamasidious » 15 Mar 2012 12:53

Hansi is sitting and reading this thinking "you guys should seriously get a life". :D

wade-newb

#20 Post by wade-newb » 15 Mar 2012 14:47

yamasidious wrote:Hansi is sitting and reading this thinking "you guys should seriously get a life". :D
XD