Curse My Name melody line

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
KrzysSamoZuo

Curse My Name melody line

#1 Post by KrzysSamoZuo » 09 Feb 2012 16:35

Hi everyone.

It's my first post here, so i'll introduce myself a little bit. I'm 22 years old and I live in Poland. I've been listening to Blind Guardian for a few years and i've seen three of their gigs that took place in Warsaw. The band is awesome ^^.

I'm writing this topic mostly because I cannot find a proper information about the Curse My Name melody line. I've recently found a song performed by the russian band Мельница, which has the same (or very similar) melody line as Curse My Name, but different words and was released around 2004. So i figured out that both songs must be based on some older melody in a way i.e. Rhapsody (of fire) uses some classic melodies for their songs. And my question is what is it? What melody is CmN based on?

PS If anyone is interested in "the russian CmN" the song is named Сэр Джон Бексворд (sir John Bexford), performed by Мельница. I would link to it, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link songs from Youtube.

Dentarthurdent

Re: Curse My Name melody line

#2 Post by Dentarthurdent » 10 Feb 2012 16:41

'course you are^^

As long as you're not posting BG-stuff prior to its original release, which you obviously don't.

Oh, and welcome to the board, btw.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

KrzysSamoZuo

#3 Post by KrzysSamoZuo » 10 Feb 2012 22:45

So here is the russian song, which is, in my opinion, very similar to Curse My Name by BG
Мельница/Хелависа - Сэр Джон Бексворд

Or maybe I just have no ear for music?
As long as you're not posting BG-stuff prior to its original release, which you obviously don't.
Every forum has it's own rules. It's better to ask first :wink:

Orodaran

#4 Post by Orodaran » 11 Feb 2012 01:07

Well, I wouldn't call it the same melody, but yeah, in some bits here and there they're indeed similar.

And hey - the song of the video is quite beautiful!!! 8)
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

brazilian_bard

#5 Post by brazilian_bard » 03 Apr 2012 17:48

KrzysSamoZuo wrote:So here is the russian song, which is, in my opinion, very similar to Curse My Name by BG
Мельница/Хелависа - Сэр Джон Бексворд
It really remembers Curse my Name at some parts. Nice song, I liked it.

rain

#6 Post by rain » 27 Apr 2012 11:46

Funny, the beginning sounds similar. Nice song!

brazilian_bard

#7 Post by brazilian_bard » 31 May 2012 16:41

About Curse my Name:

How can a band make a song like this... so epic... I love the sounds used there, especially those two sounds that feels like flutes... this song is really amazing.

The acoustic guitars, Hansi's voice, the drums, the cellos, the flutes, the choirs, ... wow man. This song takes me seriously far away.

brazilian_bard

#8 Post by brazilian_bard » 21 Jun 2012 17:40

By the way, did you guys saw this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbwG1DCnQSU

Nahar

#9 Post by Nahar » 23 Jun 2012 11:18

I don't think it's the same melody.
If they have the same source I think it will be a source of atmospheric inspiration rather than a specific melody, and I think BG did something else with the source, in such a case.
I see what you mean though..
I think that the song you talked about is influenced quite a bit by Green Sleeves melodically, but I don't feel it with Curse My Name (I think it's too "mainstream" for Blind Guardian).

However!
Check this out:
http://youtu.be/MnirEuU0MYk?t=57s (the specific part is at around 1:10)
http://youtu.be/IbwG1DCnQSU?t=1m44s

And Blind Guardian like Jethro Tull, and specifically Hansi said at some point that he likes the album with that song ("The Broadsword and the Beast").

I think it can be considered as a little tribute
"As darkness came it brought along silence.
Yet silence also bears madness.
Silence surrounds me - a deathly silence"...