Valkyries!!!!

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Felvion

Valkyries!!!!

#1 Post by Felvion » 01 Feb 2012 01:12

I know it's always a matter of taste but i think Vaalkyries is the most underrated song from the last album. I had high hopes to hear it live but I think Guardians don't have it on their playlist. In my opinion it's a pity, since it's one of the most epic songs I have ever heard... I mean, come on! Here i bleeding, Odin i await thee or To the gods of the north I pray,and raise my cup for the fallen ones, then I cry,In Valhalla they'll sing... Few of my favorite Blind Guardian lyrics and i have to admit it takes me time to get excited with new stuff.
In overall, what is your opinion?
PS:Dying to listen to it live. Is there any chance this might happen?

Midnight

Re: Valkyries!!!!

#2 Post by Midnight » 01 Feb 2012 12:45

I don't think it will. I also like this song to listen to in a background but IMO it is not a concert song. It's quite slow and it doesn't have this energy as other of their songs do and in the end the audience might get bored. I hate to admit it but it's dragging a bit.

The funny thing is that right before I came to this forum I had started listening to Valkyries as my first song today because it had been sounding in my head over and over again ever since the morning :)

Dentarthurdent

#3 Post by Dentarthurdent » 02 Feb 2012 10:41

With a different text, I'd hapily see it in shows :P
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

GreenAjah

#4 Post by GreenAjah » 23 Apr 2012 00:39

Yes, that is one hell of a song. I too would love to hear it live, but I agree with Midnight. Maybe it's too epic to be played live? Hehe.

I just had to reply to this because I was bombarded with Valkyries one day last week. We've finally began studying Wagner in my music class, so of course we were talking about Der Ring des Nibelungen and Die Walküre. As badass as the Ring Cycle is, I couldn't help but think of Blind Guardian the entire time, so when class was over I rushed to the car and put on Valkyries. I left campus to grab some food, and a few minutes into the song I passed a military surplus shop downtown, called... Valkyrie. Last but not least, I was heading back to school and took a sharp turn, and a frisbee bursted out from under the driver's seat, having escaped from my frisbee golf bag. It was a Champion Valkyrie.

I know my badly-told "story" isn't all that exciting, but I couldn't help but be a little amazed that day. Valkyrie isn't a common term, and I rarely see anything bearing that name or hear anyone talk about these awesome ladies. (Especially since I live in east Tennessee, where just a few weeks ago we finally decided to allow the theory of evolution to be taught in schools. So you know most people around here are not going to have the slightest idea what a Valkyrie is.)
"Raise this banner high. Don't take it down again until the Last Battle has been won. I march beneath the sign of the wolf!"

rain

#5 Post by rain » 28 Apr 2012 22:48

Yes, Valkyries is a absolutly awesome song. I love this track and it would great to listen it live :)

kswaby10

#6 Post by kswaby10 » 02 May 2012 02:14

Indeed

http://www.couponpickle.com http://www.visiondirectcouponcodes.com http://www.macbookchargerstore.com
newegg promo code, newegg coupons, newegg discounts, newegg discount codes

brazilian_bard

#7 Post by brazilian_bard » 08 May 2012 22:05

rain wrote:Yes, Valkyries is a absolutly awesome song. I love this track and it would great to listen it live :)
+1

Nahar

#8 Post by Nahar » 11 May 2012 19:49

I think it might be a nice live song.

About the lyrics - I found them quite disturbing at first as they seemed too simple for BG
(just dealing with warriors going to Valhalla).
But reading it a bit deeper I think it's in the same direction as Turn the Page and Battlefield -
showing the absurd, rather than the heroic, side of battles.
Here specifically it makes me think of terrorism.
How people who cause so much death believe they'll go to heaven, and are guided by this belief...

That said, I think the song also shows some sympathy towards those pretty simple-minded people.
"And finally I can hear them say - carry on for Valhalla awaits you"
It's those that put those idea into their minds that are to blame.

I think that Hansi is quite subtle in his criticism this time and therefore it's easy to mistake this for a simple viking song.
"As darkness came it brought along silence.
Yet silence also bears madness.
Silence surrounds me - a deathly silence"...

bard_92

#9 Post by bard_92 » 11 May 2012 21:13

Nahar wrote:I think it might be a nice live song.

About the lyrics - I found them quite disturbing at first as they seemed too simple for BG
But reading it a bit deeper I think it's in the same direction as Turn the Page and Battlefield -
How people who cause so much death believe they'll go to heaven, and are guided by this belief...

That said, I think the song also shows some sympathy towards those pretty simple-minded people.

I think that Hansi is quite subtle in his criticism this time and therefore it's easy to mistake this for a simple viking song.

I like your analysis a lot. It makes a lot of sense :wink:

bestpike

#10 Post by bestpike » 11 May 2012 22:25

Nahar wrote:I think it might be a nice live song.

You might be right, although most of the song seems like just a viking song, lines like "and terror will now rule these lands" seems like subtle criticism indeed. There are also some lyrics that I don't understand, like "Soon it will be over, he will be the one, we'll weave in". Who will be the one? What will he become and why? Who will weave in and into what? Must be stuff from Norse mythology or Hansi's cryptic messages :P
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Dentarthurdent

#11 Post by Dentarthurdent » 13 May 2012 23:54

aren't the Norns weavig fate or something?

That interpretation is an interesting point, but I still find it unsatisfying in face of the horrible namesdropping of anything that is usually connected with Norse mythology.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

brazilian_bard

#12 Post by brazilian_bard » 23 May 2012 22:16

Amazing song... I've been listening to it recently, and wow, it is so new, and already epic... remember me the NiMe atmosphere... frozen leads, twisted drums, epic start... amazing, really amazing song.

Drahcir

#13 Post by Drahcir » 14 Jul 2012 03:29

I find this to be the catchiest song on the album.