Punishment Divine lyrics

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Perse

Punishment Divine lyrics

#1 Post by Perse » 18 Jan 2012 20:02

Hello guys,

I once read in an article that punishment divine lyrics are based on Nietzsche imagining beeing judged by god or an angel or something like this. But is this something that is related to Nietzsches actual work and theories, or did Hansi made it up? For I'm familiar with Nietzsche and his work but I don't see any connection to the song (except the lines about good and evil, the superior mind, surrounded by night and the beginning when he asks himself if he was aware whom he has slain), can somebody clear things up for me?

Dentarthurdent

Re: Punishment Divine lyrics

#2 Post by Dentarthurdent » 18 Jan 2012 20:39

As I understand, the sog is about Nietzsche's latter days, when he went insane and didn't believe his own theories (From far beyond I hear angels sing, 'It's true, it's true, we don't exist'), and that this was his divine punishment for declaring God dead etc
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

Perse

#3 Post by Perse » 18 Jan 2012 21:00

I also thought that it might refer to the time he spent in "Umnachtung" (don't know how this is called in englisch, mental derangement maybe?) but the only worls from this time are some letters which Nietzsche send, but they don't refer to something like a court of angels. Also he never mentioned that he saw his sickness as a divine punishment, at least as far as I know. And the line about good and evil represents one of Nietzsche's most important theories, so it does not seem as if he gave up on his earlier thoughts. Maybe it is really based on some of Hansis own thoughts and imagination. I gues we have to ask him xD

Dentarthurdent

#4 Post by Dentarthurdent » 18 Jan 2012 22:46

Well, BG didn' write this song to accompany Nietzsche's writings. Interpretation and creativity are the things you're looking for ;)

I, for one, find it very suspicious that hardly any of the great philosophers arguing against God's existence died a natural death... :twisted:
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

t.a.j.

#5 Post by t.a.j. » 18 Jan 2012 23:37

Dentarthurdent wrote: I, for one, find it very suspicious that hardly any of the great philosophers arguing against God's existence died a natural death... :twisted:
The only atheist philosopher I can think of who didn't is Albert Camus, who died in a car crash. Nietzsche did of perfectly natural causes. So did David Hume & Bertrand Russel. Not to mention Charles Darwin.
No reason to be suspicious there.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Dentarthurdent

#6 Post by Dentarthurdent » 19 Jan 2012 11:21

Damn.

Well, Feuerbach died of tuberculosis as well. Natural death in this case meaning "dying of old age".

Andreas

#7 Post by Andreas » 19 Jan 2012 12:31

t.a.j. wrote:
Dentarthurdent wrote: I, for one, find it very suspicious that hardly any of the great philosophers arguing against God's existence died a natural death... :twisted:
The only atheist philosopher I can think of who didn't is Albert Camus, who died in a car crash. Nietzsche did of perfectly natural causes. So did David Hume & Bertrand Russel. Not to mention Charles Darwin.
No reason to be suspicious there.
Indeed. And what about the rumours of the scientists who entered all those ancient Egyptian pyramids and such?

t.a.j.

#8 Post by t.a.j. » 19 Jan 2012 13:08

Dentarthurdent wrote:Damn.

Well, Feuerbach died of tuberculosis as well. Natural death in this case meaning "dying of old age".
Feuerbach died of Tuberculosis at 68. I'd say old age was probably a factor there.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.