Best song to introduce BG to a new person

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Midnight

Best song to introduce BG to a new person

#1 Post by Midnight » 29 Dec 2011 22:29

This has happened to me many times already. Somebody asks me, what is my favourite band. I obviously say it is Blind Guardian but the person I talk to, never heard of BG before. What do you think would be the best song to show to that person? I mean I love many of their songs but IMO their best songs are rather difficult to 'digest' and almost nobody likes them the first time they listen to them.

So what do you think? A song that shows what BG really stands for but is easy to digest.

I would probably go for the shorter version of Sacred Worlds. The original one that was made for the video game.

Ryu

Re: Best song to introduce BG to a new person

#2 Post by Ryu » 29 Dec 2011 22:34

Depends on what I know their taste to be

Nightfall has been a fairly middle ground choice for me though.
Defiant of destiny

Desert_Storm

#3 Post by Desert_Storm » 29 Dec 2011 22:38

The Lord Of The Rings
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language

bestpike

#4 Post by bestpike » 29 Dec 2011 22:46

Generally Blind Guardian aren't at all easy to digest, and no matter how you present them to someone, they need to be of the right "mentality" to try to make an effort to do it, and on top of that, they need to also like what they find. Besides that, my first album was Somewhere Far Beyond, but it took me about 1 year of on/off listenings with 2-3 month breaks to even begin to grasp what it is I'm listening to, although I was new in metal altogether as well. After that one year, Anato came out. Three years later I hadn't discovered it completely. Now after 10-11 years I'd say I understand very well about 90%+ of it. Anyway, if you give him any Blind Guardian music, just give it to him and don't ask him or press him ever again. He needs to discover it on his own from that point on.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Orodaran

#5 Post by Orodaran » 29 Dec 2011 23:51

Non metalheads: The Bard's Song
Metalheads: Just any other song (Maybe Imaginations or Mirror Mirror above all others... MM for the style, and Imaginations to show off what BG are all about)
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Ryu

#6 Post by Ryu » 30 Dec 2011 00:45

Orodaran wrote:Non metalheads: The Bard's Song
Metalheads: Just any other song (Maybe Imaginations or Mirror Mirror above all others... MM for the style, and Imaginations to show off what BG are all about)
Any song, like Altair 4..
Defiant of destiny

brazilian_bard

#7 Post by brazilian_bard » 30 Dec 2011 13:24

New Blind Guardian, I'm using the "Sacred Worlds" song from the "At the Edge of Time".
The "Tanelorn (Into the Void)" Wacken video is awesome.
The "Twist in the Myth" album has exciting songs from the beginning of the new era.

"Middle" BG, use the "Night at the Opera" album.

Old Blind Guardian, try the classic songs from the "Tales from the Twilight", "Somewhere far Beyond" and
"Imaginations from the Other Side". If the person likes this albums, then use the "Forgotten Tales".

Likes vintage metal? try "Battalions of Fear" and "Follow the Blind" albums. These are the roots.
Last edited by brazilian_bard on 30 Dec 2011 15:03, edited 3 times in total.

t.a.j.

#8 Post by t.a.j. » 30 Dec 2011 13:49

I'd go with Imaginations From The Other Side.

But I really don't get how BG can be called difficult to digest. They are very accessible with all the grand and sing alongable vocal lines, the catchy melodies in general, the focus on melody as opposed to rythm and riffing. There is no of the harsh and challenging aesthetics you find in genres like Drone or Death Metal. At to that the universally acceptable and inoffensive fantasy thematics and you have yourself one of the easiest metal bands to get into as a non metal head.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Midnight

#9 Post by Midnight » 30 Dec 2011 14:16

t.a.j. wrote:I'd go with Imaginations From The Other Side.

But I really don't get how BG can be called difficult to digest. They are very accessible with all the grand and sing alongable vocal lines, the catchy melodies in general, the focus on melody as opposed to rythm and riffing. There is no of the harsh and challenging aesthetics you find in genres like Drone or Death Metal. At to that the universally acceptable and inoffensive fantasy thematics and you have yourself one of the easiest metal bands to get into as a non metal head.
You are right, but in my opinion the approach of BG to music is quite different than people are usually used to. They are not afraid to add some unusual elements to their songs and I cannot imagine showing for instance Somewhere Far Beyond to somebody new, because of the bagpipes somewhere in the middle of the song.

On the other hand Nightfall - as Ryu said, could be the middle ground choice, since Hansi's vocals are so diverse there and the melodies rather catchy, moreover, I dare to say beautiful.

Songs like The Bard's Song or Lord of the Rings are indeed my favourite, but I am not sure if they could impress somebody who has absolutely no idea who BG are. After listening to it they could just say something like: "Hmmm, nice.' and move on.

Traveller in Time

#10 Post by Traveller in Time » 31 Dec 2011 12:20

BG is best when you discover it by your own and open the door to this magical world by yourself. :)
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

T3hOverlord

#11 Post by T3hOverlord » 02 Jan 2012 23:29

this is a good thought because I kinda had to force BG on ymself when I first got into them, I remember thinking they were kinda just ok and I dont know how I could have thought that. I remember the first maybe 10 times I heard Mirror Mirror I thought it was just this alright power metal song (they were my intro to power metal) but now when I listen to it I'm like "what the fuck this is the greatest most epic and over the top song in the universe!" and I have no clue how I could have originally thought it to be mediocre, that being said, I will say Nightfall is probably the best song, as even my mom loves that song and will crank it in the car and sing along to it sometimes

bestpike

#12 Post by bestpike » 03 Jan 2012 04:33

T3hOverlord wrote:this is a good thought because I kinda had to force BG on ymself when I first got into them, I remember thinking they were kinda just ok and I dont know how I could have thought that. I remember the first maybe 10 times I heard Mirror Mirror I thought it was just this alright power metal song (they were my intro to power metal) but now when I listen to it I'm like "what the fuck this is the greatest most epic and over the top song in the universe!" and I have no clue how I could have originally thought it to be mediocre, that being said, I will say Nightfall is probably the best song, as even my mom loves that song and will crank it in the car and sing along to it sometimes
I remember the first feelings I had when listening to them, it's kinda like when watching a movie that you don't quite understand but you have the suspicion (I wasn't sure of course) that this might be very good stuff, you're just not able to see through it for some reason (either not paying proper attention, or in the case of Blind Guardian there is too much stuff in there to process). But I also believe personal taste also must be playing a role. I don't believe everyone will like Blind Guardian even if he makes the effort to get into them.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

T3hOverlord

#13 Post by T3hOverlord » 03 Jan 2012 20:14

bestpike wrote:
T3hOverlord wrote:this is a good thought because I kinda had to force BG on ymself when I first got into them, I remember thinking they were kinda just ok and I dont know how I could have thought that. I remember the first maybe 10 times I heard Mirror Mirror I thought it was just this alright power metal song (they were my intro to power metal) but now when I listen to it I'm like "what the fuck this is the greatest most epic and over the top song in the universe!" and I have no clue how I could have originally thought it to be mediocre, that being said, I will say Nightfall is probably the best song, as even my mom loves that song and will crank it in the car and sing along to it sometimes
I remember the first feelings I had when listening to them, it's kinda like when watching a movie that you don't quite understand but you have the suspicion (I wasn't sure of course) that this might be very good stuff, you're just not able to see through it for some reason (either not paying proper attention, or in the case of Blind Guardian there is too much stuff in there to process). But I also believe personal taste also must be playing a role. I don't believe everyone will like Blind Guardian even if he makes the effort to get into them.
Yeah thats a good way to put it: like watching a movie I didn't quite understand but having a suspicion its actually really good
One thing's for sure, I don't regret all that time spent trying to get into them, I don't know what I'd listen to every day if I didn't get into them and thus power metal.

Gandalf de Grijze

#14 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 03 Jan 2012 23:40

I guess i'm a weird guy then...
I never had problems "getting into" the band. For me it was love on first hearing. I remember listening to two songs the first time (Mirror Mirror and LOTR) and just thinking: "damn this is so fucking awesome!!!"
Been hooked from that day on, never experiencing any problems with getting into new songs etc.

I do agree that there are plenty of BG songs that have various things to discover, but I don't think that makes the music too complex to listen to. They are smaller details that add depth to the music without making it too difficult, at least in my oppinion. There has always been a certain amount of catchiness in BG music, lyrics that aren't too deep, but deep enough to make you pause and think about them without getting confused completely and a pretty open set of melodies that aren't too harsh for non metal fans, but at times hard enough to please the metalhead in us...

Of course, to get someone into BG it depends on his/her music taste before listening. A thrash/speed metal fan should start with anything from the first 2 albums, the more classical powermetal fan (if he/she doesn't know BG yet it can be considered a sin for them) anything from TftTW up to IftOS and even NiME... the more progressive/melodic side can be found on anything after IftOS...
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Orodaran

#15 Post by Orodaran » 04 Jan 2012 00:02

It all comes down if a person, eventually, likes a band or not. You can prepare it all, think of the best song to introduce the band, going for a song more similar of a genre or band the other person likes..... nothing is really useful, either someone is "meant" to like a band or not.

I'll make my example with Opeth. I just don't like them. You do? happy for you, I know I'm in the vast minority. I don't like death metal gruntled vocals, so I could not like a song of them in that style. But hey, they made also acoustic mellow songs, right? well, I heard them, I found them boring. Now they made a different album, a proggy one, right? I heard a song, I didn't really like it.

See? I just don't like Opeth, they're not meant for me.... it's the same with every band. Either someone will like a band, or he won't.
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

T3hOverlord

#16 Post by T3hOverlord » 04 Jan 2012 19:38

I don't like Opeth either, I bought Blackwater Park for 10 bucks one time thinking how could I go wrong, everyone loves this band, and it is one of the most boring albums i've ever bought.

brazilian_bard

#17 Post by brazilian_bard » 05 Jan 2012 20:01

T3hOverlord wrote:I don't like Opeth either, I bought Blackwater Park for 10 bucks one time thinking how could I go wrong, everyone loves this band, and it is one of the most boring albums i've ever bought.
Me too.

LeBard

#18 Post by LeBard » 06 Jan 2012 00:14

I guess a common theme with Blind Guardian fans is being indifferent towards Opeth, heh. I don't particular enjoy them either, which is weird. In theory they should be right down my alley. I love progressive music, I don't mind growling as long it is accompanied with good melodies or song structures. And I love broody and melancholic songs. Plus my love for incorporating different genres into metal also should make Opeth the band for me, with Åkerfeldts obviously having his eyes fixed on folk, jazz, blues and what not. Not too mention the acoustic guitar passages. And most of my favourite bands often points out Opeth as a influence.

But in the end... they bore me to tears. I just can't get into them.

Dwarfare

#19 Post by Dwarfare » 06 Jan 2012 23:02

I like Opeth just fine. On topic, anyhow, I'd say that if I was to pick an album from which to show a new potential fan of Blind Guardian, I'd pick on off of BG's own choice and newest album, At The Edge of Time. Personally I'd go with either the opening or closing tracks, as they have great range and showcase both the musical talent and variation that Blind Guardian uses, heavy guitars, orchestral, softer and harder pieces, excellent melodies, superb vocals, fine lyrics representative of a story rather than pointless bullshit.

T3hOverlord

#20 Post by T3hOverlord » 08 Jan 2012 22:56

Im gonna change my answer to Sacred Worlds, my dad is in love with that song but really doesnt like any other Blind Guardian, it has a lot of their elements all put into one song

Alpha Penguin

#21 Post by Alpha Penguin » 09 Jan 2012 08:36

I've gotten many people interested in Blind Guardian by "A Twist in the Myth" and the DVD "Imaginations Through the Looking Glass"
How can we take it away from someone who has no right--no right to control the divine!!

Sarah

#22 Post by Sarah » 11 Jan 2012 15:34

Mordred's Song was the first i heard, love at first play as well, so i made it my song to play to new listeners... But i guess you kinda have to like metal in the first place for it to work that well.

Else, i don't know, any ballad usually does for non-metal people, although a past and future secret is probably a good one to show the "heavy" nature of the band.
Dreamland turned to realland and we faced a new frontier
We lost the world
Sometimes we hold it but it's slipping away
When we add reality it doesn't taste like our dream