Questions for upcoming video interview

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Webmaster
Site Admin

Questions for upcoming video interview

#1 Post by Webmaster » 17 Nov 2011 13:51

Hi everyone. You have all surely heard that Memories of a Time to Come will be released in January 2012. In the time building up to the release the band will be making some webisodes where they answer fan submitted questions. I have already asked for questions from FB user but I don't want to leave form users out. So please try to come up with some interesting questions related to the first 25 years of BG history. We will somehow determine the best (a poll perhaps) and I will send them to the band to answer.

LeBard

Re: Questions for upcoming video interview

#2 Post by LeBard » 17 Nov 2011 15:52

First thing that comes to mind is, whatever happened to the missing tracks from Nightfall in Middle Earth? Three tracks didn't make the LP. One of those three was - as we all know - Harvest of Sorrow. The other two... vanished; maybe they are songs that now are on ANATO, ATITM or ATEOT (with the lyrical content removed). Maybe not. I sure would like to know.

Just for reference (this is from 2002 I believe):
MetalKings.com: Let's talk about the current days of the band. As far as I know you're pretty close to releasing a new album. Well, I heard that the song "Harvest Of Sorrow" was originally done for "Nightfall In Middle Earth"...

Markus: Yes, I wrote that song back in 1998 but it didn't really fit on the "Nightfall" album so we originally planned to release another EP after "Nightfall..." with "Harvest Of Sorrow" and two other tracks to finish the lyrical concept of the album. But unfortunately we had to cancel those plans for the EP because Hansi had some bad hearing problems. It was exactly at the time we planned to record this in order to finish the recording. So we had to cancel this, and now we release "Harvest Of Sorrow" as one of two songs on the new single...
Sorry if this has already been addressed!

bestpike

#3 Post by bestpike » 17 Nov 2011 20:49

My question is:

Some time ago it has been stated that once live performances come to an end, the live recordings will be evaluated for a possible Live release. What is the current status of that?
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Ryu

#4 Post by Ryu » 18 Nov 2011 23:58

I can muster up a few

*What is a style or sound they want to explore but haven't been able to yet? Perhaps there's a more unorthodox inspiration they've derived from a different band, a sound they'd like to try out.

*Andre, as far as I can tell, is the only member who hasn't worked with other musicians on projects, at least openly. Does he have plans for any such endeavor?

*Have they considered performing shows with additional backup vocalists? They tour with Van Canto a lot, it'd be awesome to see them on-stage helping with ANATO songs. Battlefield and such would seem far more feasible with a bit of backup. Would make for a splendid DVD performance.
Defiant of destiny

nyobit

#5 Post by nyobit » 20 Nov 2011 18:53

Since Star Wars: The Old Republic is coming out this winter I'd like to ask André and Marcus if they are going to play it and if they are still playing WoW. And if Hansi will give it a shot since it's more story-driven compared to other mmo's and we all know he is a SW fan.

wade-newb

#6 Post by wade-newb » 20 Nov 2011 20:30

Seeing as though Hansi can pull off some really awesome death-metalish screams such as in Wheel of Time ("light denies me now!"), Time Stands Still when they play it live ("I dare you!"), has the band ever considered doing full songs in that death-metal style for a studio album, as another style to explore for Blind Guardian?
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

Desert_Storm

#7 Post by Desert_Storm » 20 Nov 2011 21:54

Ryu wrote: *Have they considered performing shows with additional backup vocalists? They tour with Van Canto a lot, it'd be awesome to see them on-stage helping with ANATO songs. Battlefield and such would seem far more feasible with a bit of backup. Would make for a splendid DVD performance.
LeBard wrote:whatever happened to the missing tracks from Nightfall in Middle Earth?
+1
nyobit wrote:Since Star Wars: The Old Republic is coming out this winter I'd like to ask André and Marcus if they are going to play it and if they are still playing WoW. And if Hansi will give it a shot since it's more story-driven compared to other mmo's and we all know he is a SW fan.
How is that interesting to know? That's not even remotely related to their music. Soon people are going to start asking what their relationship to their parents is and what kind of chipper they prefer for distances under 25 feet to the green. What I mean is, maybe they play golf, but that's hardly going to change my golfing behavior and it's going to be interesting only for a very small segment of their fans (the golf players) in the best case :wink:
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language

Gandalf de Grijze

#8 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 20 Nov 2011 21:56

I do wonder if losing the game influences the lyrics... there are several hints at leaving everything behind and teh game has been mentioned several times...
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Traveller in Time

#9 Post by Traveller in Time » 20 Nov 2011 22:35

My question was already asked on FB, but

I really would liek to now.
If they ever thought of a club tour (you know some gigs in small venues, maybe 200 to 500 people) to get back the familiar feeling (comrarable to the 20.000 tons of metal gig) or if they miss to have a small but therefore very enthusiastic and easy to catch audience due to being closer to them ?

The missing Nightfall EP songs are interesting too :)
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Dentarthurdent

#10 Post by Dentarthurdent » 21 Nov 2011 10:31

wade-newb wrote:Seeing as though Hansi can pull off some really awesome death-metalish screams such as in Wheel of Time ("light denies me now!"), Time Stands Still when they play it live ("I dare you!"), has the band ever considered doing full songs in that death-metal style for a studio album, as another style to explore for Blind Guardian?
You call that Death Metal? ;)
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

bestpike

#11 Post by bestpike » 21 Nov 2011 16:08

Dentarthurdent wrote:
wade-newb wrote:Seeing as though Hansi can pull off some really awesome death-metalish screams such as in Wheel of Time ("light denies me now!"), Time Stands Still when they play it live ("I dare you!"), has the band ever considered doing full songs in that death-metal style for a studio album, as another style to explore for Blind Guardian?
He said death-metalish :P But truth be told, that must be the closest thing to a growl found in a BG song. Although I really doubt Hansi wants to do anything further on that.
Forever to be free

wade-newb

#12 Post by wade-newb » 21 Nov 2011 16:48

bestpike wrote:
Dentarthurdent wrote:
He said death-metalish :P But truth be told, that must be the closest thing to a growl found in a BG song. Although I really doubt Hansi wants to do anything further on that.
Thanks for the back-up :p Yeah, I definitely don't think that any of BG's current discography is even remotely like death metal, I just really like Hansi's growls (when he does decide to do them, sadly not very often)
Let's hope Hansi says otherwise :twisted: At least one song with a few growls and screams here and there would be amazing.

Dentarthurdent

#13 Post by Dentarthurdent » 22 Nov 2011 11:11

That's just some screams every decent rock signer should be able to pull off. Just lsiten to Twist and Shout :D
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

wade-newb

#14 Post by wade-newb » 22 Nov 2011 16:15

Dentarthurdent wrote:That's just some screams every decent rock signer should be able to pull off. Just lsiten to Twist and Shout :D
Hm, not really, but anyway, not my point either :p I was just wondering if they wanted to do more songs with really harsh vocals.

Dentarthurdent

#15 Post by Dentarthurdent » 22 Nov 2011 18:38

I know, I just felt like ranting ;) And let's hope they don't, next thing people will be starting mosh pits...

wade-newb

#16 Post by wade-newb » 22 Nov 2011 21:03

Dentarthurdent wrote:I know, I just felt like ranting ;) And let's hope they don't, next thing people will be starting mosh pits...
Haha, and what's wrong with music that can start a mosh pit? Besides, I've already seen mosh pits form for BG for Fly! :lol:

Led Guardian

#17 Post by Led Guardian » 22 Nov 2011 22:35

Dentarthurdent wrote:I know, I just felt like ranting ;) And let's hope they don't, next thing people will be starting mosh pits...
You've never been to a BG concert with a mosh pit? :?
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

bestpike

#18 Post by bestpike » 22 Nov 2011 23:05

We must have done a moshpit on the Athens Open Air 2 years ago during BG if I'm not mistaken. Although Testament from before must have riled up the croud :P. P.S. Found Marcus' post about it haha http://marcussiepen.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... ghter.html
Forever to be free

Dentarthurdent

#19 Post by Dentarthurdent » 22 Nov 2011 23:13

I just entirely fail to see how a mosh pit is in any kind fitting BG's music. Pits in Thrash, Death & co are fine with me, but I can't see the point of pits in Power Metal.

wade-newb

#20 Post by wade-newb » 23 Nov 2011 05:35

Dentarthurdent wrote:I just entirely fail to see how a mosh pit is in any kind fitting BG's music. Pits in Thrash, Death & co are fine with me, but I can't see the point of pits in Power Metal.
But you can't deny, many BG songs contain some really intense thrash elements. Most recently Tanelorn, which started a mosh pit at Wacken this year I think.

Dentarthurdent

#21 Post by Dentarthurdent » 24 Nov 2011 00:49

There are some musical elements, of course. And I also know that kids ( ;) ) today will mosh to anything, at least here... (starting moshing at a local Folk metal band's gig jsut when the acoustic part set in...) It's hard to put to words, I jsut don't like people moshing to BG because I am a retarded tr00 metalhead born 20 years too late. Take it or leave it :D

Kyla

#22 Post by Kyla » 24 Nov 2011 18:28

Ryu wrote:I can muster up a few
*Have they considered performing shows with additional backup vocalists? They tour with Van Canto a lot, it'd be awesome to see them on-stage helping with ANATO songs. Battlefield and such would seem far more feasible with a bit of backup. Would make for a splendid DVD performance.
+1 too

Here my questions :

Why, when they play ATTWS in live, they never do the end of the song ? ("Still the wind blows, calm and silent...")
I think it's one of the most epic part ever written, of the most epic song !
So why ?

Was it hard to chose the song for your best-of ?

Will they do songs based on video games (like Final Fantasy or Elder Scrolls ) ?

Can I have 1/10 of your guitar skill ? =x
Last edited by Kyla on 24 Nov 2011 20:21, edited 2 times in total.

spamel

#23 Post by spamel » 24 Nov 2011 18:49

Can you ask them what the difference is between hard and light?

The answer is, you can sleep with a light on! :mrgreen:
My mother in law is a Balrog, and I'm telling you, she has wings!

Dentarthurdent

#24 Post by Dentarthurdent » 24 Nov 2011 20:43

Do you have a band-only Pen & Paper-RPG group? And fi so, what do you play?^^

T3hOverlord

#25 Post by T3hOverlord » 25 Nov 2011 00:22

Kyla wrote:
Will they do songs based on video games (like Final Fantasy or Elder Scrolls ) ?
\
Sacred Worlds

Hansi, their main lyricist, doesnt play videogames, so i doubt they would do any more in the future

Webmaster
Site Admin

#26 Post by Webmaster » 25 Nov 2011 08:02

Dentarthurdent wrote:Do you have a band-only Pen & Paper-RPG group? And fi so, what do you play?^^
C'mon, this isn't a serious question is it? You think the four guys sit around and do this in their free time?

Kyla

#27 Post by Kyla » 25 Nov 2011 11:11

T3hOverlord wrote:
Kyla wrote:
\
Sacred Worlds

Hansi, their main lyricist, doesnt play videogames, so i doubt they would do any more in the future
I know Sacred Worlds -> Sacred 2 but the song was created for the game.
Songs like Soulforged, or all NIME are based on a book, maybye he can do this for a video games

And Hansi finish a video game (Raving Rabbits if I remember well), maybye he will continue playing =x

bestpike

#28 Post by bestpike » 25 Nov 2011 14:44

Webmaster wrote:
Dentarthurdent wrote:Do you have a band-only Pen & Paper-RPG group? And fi so, what do you play?^^
C'mon, this isn't a serious question is it? You think the four guys sit around and do this in their free time?
Well, maybe during touring. Andre already said they play WoW or other games (minus Hansi ofc :P) during that time (if I remember correctly) :o. Although I really doubt it too, because never ever in any interview I've seen any BG member even mentioned Pen and Paper stuff.
Forever to be free

T3hOverlord

#29 Post by T3hOverlord » 25 Nov 2011 18:53

lmao now I'm imagining the band sitting around a table while Fredrick reads out "You enter a dark chamber . . ." haha theres no chance in hell they actually do that

Isis65

#30 Post by Isis65 » 25 Nov 2011 19:20

my two cents:
a question especially for Hansi, because he is the author of almost all the lyrics: I wanted to ask him if he thought focus its next work on the fantasy world, and Tolkien in particular, or if there are plans for some song on current affairs or related to historical facts or reality today ...
on music, instead, I'd like to know if the interesting openings to solutions that have ethnic music heard in ATEOT will be followed, or will remain an isolated incident.
Last edited by Isis65 on 25 Nov 2011 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

Dentarthurdent

#31 Post by Dentarthurdent » 25 Nov 2011 19:26

Webmaster wrote:
Have you read their lyrics? :P

I'm pretty sure that they used to play P'n'Ps, I'm really interested in whether they still do^^

wade-newb

#32 Post by wade-newb » 26 Nov 2011 19:10

T3hOverlord wrote:lmao now I'm imagining the band sitting around a table while Fredrick reads out "You enter a dark chamber . . ." haha theres no chance in hell they actually do that
But if they did... I would delete every other band from my library, and dedicate the remainder of my life to worshipping Blind Guardian

Desert_Storm

#33 Post by Desert_Storm » 26 Nov 2011 19:44

Dentarthurdent wrote:
Webmaster wrote:
Have you read their lyrics? :P
Also, for some time it seemed that most BG fans were pen&paper players (or reverse ;) ), so why not ;)

Dentarthurdent

#34 Post by Dentarthurdent » 26 Nov 2011 21:01

Like a German Gaming TV programme said when Sacred 2 was released: the favourite band of every role-player, Blind Guardian :D

Lazerrus

#35 Post by Lazerrus » 30 Nov 2011 16:26

My question would be:
Do you ever plan on playing "Wait For An Answer" from ANATO live?
Absolutely one of my favorite Guardian songs.

t.a.j.

#36 Post by t.a.j. » 30 Nov 2011 17:21

The evil ones who make fun of role-playing must needs be smited!

Anyway, here is my question: Who picks the album covers?
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

LeBard

#37 Post by LeBard » 01 Dec 2011 00:06

I just saw an interview with Jimmy Page, where he talked about how people were utterly bored the first times they played Stairway to Heaven, because the audience wanted to hear something they knew like Whole Lotta Love - which leads me to the question, how was The Bard's Song received during the Somewhere Far Beyond tour (1992)? An instant hit, or did it "grow" during the following years to the status it has today?

Desert_Storm

#38 Post by Desert_Storm » 01 Dec 2011 21:54

LeBard wrote: how was The Bard's Song received during the Somewhere Far Beyond tour (1992)? An instant hit, or did it "grow" during the following years to the status it has today?
I think the fact that it isn't on Tokyo Tales speaks for itself, doesn't it?

LeBard

#39 Post by LeBard » 01 Dec 2011 22:50

Desert_Storm wrote:
LeBard wrote: how was The Bard's Song received during the Somewhere Far Beyond tour (1992)? An instant hit, or did it "grow" during the following years to the status it has today?
I think the fact that it isn't on Tokyo Tales speaks for itself, doesn't it?
Well, I checked some bootlegs from 1992 and onwards and it was - at least - a reoccurring song during that tour and beyond. And they did play it on the Tokyo Tales gig, but it didn't end up on the CD. Which kind of brings me to another question: Will the full Tokyo Tales live ever get released? The missing songs include both The Bard's Song (In the the Forest) and The Hobbit, along with:

Ashes to Ashes
Run for the Night
Theatre of Pain
Somewhere far Beyond
+ something I'm probably forgetting.

It exist in shoddy bootleg form, but I no longer have the bootleg. Considering Hansi's ferocious vocals on that CD, I'd love to hear those songs properly after all these years. Next year will the albums 20th anniversary, so a re-release would be appreciated, with all 90+ glorious minutes. :P

Edain

#40 Post by Edain » 04 Dec 2011 12:27

whatever happened to the missing tracks from Nightfall in Middle Earth?
+ 1
Do you ever plan on playing "Wait For An Answer" from ANATO live?
Absolutely one of my favorite Guardian songs.
+ 1
+ 1

That's about it. :mrgreen:
"Edis Rehto Eht Morf Snoitanigami!"

T3hOverlord

#41 Post by T3hOverlord » 05 Dec 2011 03:01

im pretty sure the "upcoming Nightfall In Middle Earth followup EP" turned into the And Then There Was Silence single.

wade-newb

#42 Post by wade-newb » 05 Dec 2011 07:31

T3hOverlord wrote:im pretty sure the "upcoming Nightfall In Middle Earth followup EP" turned into the And Then There Was Silence single.
Yeah, I think they said Harvest of Sorrow was the song they couldn't fit on NiME

Midnight

#43 Post by Midnight » 05 Dec 2011 11:56

Ok I´ve been thinking for a while to ask a question nobody probably had before me and I decided to ask this one, which will be mostly for Hansi.

We all know Hansi is an excellent songwriter, personally my favourite, so my question is: Have you ever thought about writing something different than song lyrics? A poem or a book maybe?

bestpike

#44 Post by bestpike » 05 Dec 2011 16:23

Midnight wrote:Ok I´ve been thinking for a while to ask a question nobody probably had before me and I decided to ask this one, which will be mostly for Hansi.

We all know Hansi is an excellent songwriter, personally my favourite, so my question is: Have you ever thought about writing something different than song lyrics? A poem or a book maybe?
Already been answered in an old interview, just about the books though. Hansi answered he would like to but he needs to study/practice whatevs and also a lot of time to write a book, so probably not gonna happen. Maybe the poems though or some small passages, who knows. Especially inside the orchestral project booklet would fit in perfectly.
Forever to be free

Midnight

#45 Post by Midnight » 05 Dec 2011 23:50

Oh really? Then I would alter the question to ask about the poem only. He certainly has the gift. Although he still might try to write a book when he's like 80 or so. He will have plenty of time then. And I'll probably be retired already so I imagine I'll be reading a lot.

Don't you happen to remember where I might find the interview?

bestpike

#46 Post by bestpike » 08 Dec 2011 00:20

Hmm, no way I'm gonna find that interview among the tons of them out there. I found this though http://mitsman.fortunecity.com/hansi.htm. That's what he said in the interview, although I'm pretty sure he also made it clear that he probably won't have the time for it anytime soon.
Forever to be free

Ryu

#47 Post by Ryu » 09 Dec 2011 02:27

Thought of another, and a good one if I do say so;

How has the advent of websites like Youtube, (which allow you to view your performances veritably night-to-night if you wish) affected the band's approach to performing? Whole concerts are uploaded, and with the ability to catch on to individual songs' nuances and how they're performed, has this sort of constant-awareness to your own doings changed anything?

For example, I can imagine that being able to hear how a song sounds from the audience, or even how it looks (lighting, displays) certainly helps determine how the band would perform the song in the future.
Defiant of destiny

brazilian_bard

#48 Post by brazilian_bard » 09 Dec 2011 16:24

First of all, I'd like to say that these interviews should come with subtitles. You talk in German and I just can't understand a word.
This is what happened with the bonus dvd from Imaginations Through the Looking Glass I bought.
They talk, talk, talk, and I just can't get it. Don't forget to subtitle the new ones, please.

Here goes my question:

"A Night at the Opera album cover. I just can't get enough of it, because it takes me inside. The three characters at the middle bottom of the cover, close to the mad swanky conductor. Looks like they're not enjoying much the party, and they're up to something. This album cover has any subliminar message? Or am I imagining too many things from the other side? Are they Hansi, André and Marcus?"

:lol:

Thank you.

Orodaran

#49 Post by Orodaran » 10 Dec 2011 17:19

Ryu wrote:For example, I can imagine that being able to hear how a song sounds from the audience, or even how it looks (lighting, displays) certainly helps determine how the band would perform the song in the future.
Well, I assume that during rehearsals for the tour, they do try out as well all the complete lights + effects + backdrops combination as if it was a full live gig, so they must know already how it looks like...
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Ryu

#50 Post by Ryu » 11 Dec 2011 03:13

Just an example. I'm more curious about how it's changed their approach to performance, sound and style in general, if it has at all.
Defiant of destiny