Memories of a Time to Come

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
knwt

Re: Memories of a Time to Come

#151 Post by knwt » 20 Jan 2012 07:28

No words to describe how F.UCKING AMAZING And then there was silence is sounding right now! Please, Guardians, do the same for the WHOLE A Night at the Opera!!!!

There are some changes on this song. Nothing too radical, but some parts sounds a little bit different, like the part where Hansi sings

"Since we've reached the point of no return
We pray for the starlight we wait for the Moon
The sky is empty, alone in the unknown
we're getting nowhere"...

PS: This Will Never End sounds great now!
PPS: I've already bought the album on Amazon.ca (CDN$ 44.47 with the taxes) but the release date is for Jan 31st...WTF??
Last edited by knwt on 20 Jan 2012 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

Zecharas

#152 Post by Zecharas » 20 Jan 2012 08:16

I agree, And then there was Silence is so much better than the original. I was actually thinking they should do the same with the rest of the album as well :lol: But also The Hobbit is outstanding! This best of is truly great. Mirror Mirror sounds a lot better, and even sounds a bit different here an there. The Last Candle also has some nice background vocal melodies that never existed before.
I am the one, I am the one, the god-like terror train

Darth Arrow

#153 Post by Darth Arrow » 20 Jan 2012 12:51

Damn, can't wait to hear those... Why the hell did I come to the forums today?? I'm just teasing myself when I know that I'm not gonna get the album till next wednesday... Are all albums released on wednesdays in Nordic countries? AtEoT was SUPPOSED to be released a few days earlier in Sweden & Finland than in the rest of the world, but the truth was that despite the "official" release date, no stores around here carried the album till next weeks wednesday..... *must resist the urge to download even though have preordered*

Midnight

#154 Post by Midnight » 20 Jan 2012 15:43

I have to admit, ATTWS is outstanding.
Fuck, what a ride.

As for other re-recorded songs, they're good, they sound better than the old ones and are also somehow interesting. Definitely worth listening.

As for the remixes, they're interesting as well. Some sound better than the original versions, some don't and some of them almost haven't changed. For instance Ride Into Obsession sounds the same to me. But maybe it's just my ears.

All in all a good bargain. But only thanks to the re-recorded songs.

Edain

#155 Post by Edain » 20 Jan 2012 16:12

Great job, guys. :D

As it has been said before, Silence is definitive one of the album's highlights. Clearer production, a bunch of (mostly) great arrangement changes and additions - although I feel it has lost some of it's "oomph", it could've used a little more bass. But that's nitpicking, I think it's definitely an improvement to the older version, you can actually hear all the instruments now quite good.

Which leads me to my biggest surprise - Nightfall. :shock: C'mon, it's a goddamn REMIX and I suddenly hear lines and melodies that weren't there before or probably completely drowned in the mix. Give the whole Nightfall in Middle-earth a remix like this and I'll fall to my knees.
"Edis Rehto Eht Morf Snoitanigami!"

warchanter

#156 Post by warchanter » 20 Jan 2012 16:39

So, is ATTWS an orchestral version or not?

Dentarthurdent

#157 Post by Dentarthurdent » 20 Jan 2012 17:40

Midnight wrote:For instance Ride Into Obsession sounds the same to me. But maybe it's just my ears.
The reason for this may be that only the songs originally released on Virgin were remixed. I'm not a 100% sure, though.

edit: As I'm listening to Lucifer's Heritage right now: I want new instrumentals! Not just "orchestral versions", real instrumentals!
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

majesty

#158 Post by majesty » 20 Jan 2012 20:29

I miss the background vocals on the "He carries along...."-part of ATTWS :-(
I loved that so much, and they just skipped it :cry:
But I´m so impressed by the sound of the whole recording. Especially on the "Welcome to the end..."-part, I was looking around and I was goddamn sure Hansi is standing there right next to me :shock:
The Lights are up,
Now let the play begin!

*Why save the world when you can rule it? And why touch the ground when you can fly away to dreams...?*

knwt

#159 Post by knwt » 20 Jan 2012 21:44

I would change Follow the Blind for Battlefield in a blink of an eye...remixed or re-recorded...

Follow the Blind sounds a little bit out of the place there...

Zook

#160 Post by Zook » 20 Jan 2012 21:49

Maybe it's just me, but I thought the mixing on the remixes sounds kinda bad. Volume levels jumping all over the place. Also, where the hell are the drums on ATTWS? They're mixed so low that they might as well not be there.

Nightfall did sound punchier, but I'm just not impressed with these remixes/re-recordings. :(

bard_92

#161 Post by bard_92 » 20 Jan 2012 22:40

Just finnished listening the album,so what can I say... :D It's really hard to describe all the epicness of the new versions, especially on the Last Candle, Mirror Mirror, Bright Eyes, The 2 Bards songs... and so on... :
Anyway, whole my attention goes to the new ATTWS. Now I'm absolutely sure that this is the most complicated, and my favourite, song of all time.
I always thought that each of these songs is already perfect, but now I realize that Blind Guardian could make even the Epic songs more EPIC :D Congratulations, bards, you're probably the most creative band at that moment in the world !!!

ErHaO

#162 Post by ErHaO » 20 Jan 2012 23:00

I clearly hear the drums here :?:

I do hear some of the "volume skips" though (in the intro of Mirror Mirror for example) Subtle, but they are there. In some cases it does sound a little bit strange.

Aside from that, some of the remixes sound really awesome! (last candle, nightfall, bright eyes mirror mirror etc.) I've always thought that in many post Imaginations songs, instruments and even the singing of Hansi gets drowned in a big overdubbed mesh. It never ruined a track for me, but often took me a bit to really hear the great song behind it. They fixed it in a lot of cases here imo (I do like the dubbing by the way, but it should be used a bit less to maintain it's power; and that's the case here). ATTWS, the hobbit and bards song are really good this way. Especially the way they recorded ATTWS compliments the diversity and scope of the song, although I think Wheel of Time and Sacred Worlds sound better.

The only thing I don't like is Valhalla. I just do not like Kai and will always prefer Live versions because of the crowds (the song itself is not that special for me). And they should've rerecorded Majesty and Follow the Blind if you ask me.

bard_92

#163 Post by bard_92 » 20 Jan 2012 23:08

Yeah,I think that Majesty also deserves to be re-recorded :D Btw, the moment when Hansi sings ""Like a lief in a icy world" is just... OH MY GOD...
And,of course, the intro is so FU..ING EPIC

Zook

#164 Post by Zook » 21 Jan 2012 00:45

Listening to the new ATTWS in the car, the drums make a bigger impact, but I love how the original's drums are so upfront and booming. I just prefer the original. This re-record is definitely better than the new Dante's Inferno though :lol: And Jon and Hansi both managed to "forget" a vocal passage too.

Vorkosigan

#165 Post by Vorkosigan » 21 Jan 2012 01:03

Does anyone know if the big booklet with the liner notes comes with both versions (2cd vs 3cd)?

T3hOverlord

#166 Post by T3hOverlord » 21 Jan 2012 01:52

AGHHHH i have one huge complaint. And Then There Was Silence is amazing, except they fucked up the best part of the song "dadadadadadadaddada the nightmare shall be over now...." and sung the "nightmare shall be over now theres nothing more to fear" part like they did live instead of the way they did it on the ANATO version (putting some kind of emphasis to NIGHTmare) which kinda killed that whole moment for me. The rest of the song is great though and will probably amass to over 9000 plays on iTunes for me in the next couple months

bestpike

#167 Post by bestpike » 21 Jan 2012 03:37

As someone else mentioned, what the hell is Follow the Blind doing in this compilation? Do they consider it one of their best songs? If yes, why it hasn't been played for like 20 years? :D Banish from Sanctuary would make much more sense.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

T3hOverlord

#168 Post by T3hOverlord » 21 Jan 2012 03:39

ok I just gave it a full listen. What the hell is with the volume cutting in and out?>?>????????????? the Mirror Mirror remix would have been the greatest song inthe world if it wasnt for the fucked up volume!!! jesus christ what the hell it sounds terrible! especially the intro and coming into the first verse

Thoreg

#169 Post by Thoreg » 21 Jan 2012 05:16

Memories of a Time to Come, especially And Then There Was Silence is the coolest thing in life.
So many centuries
So many Gods
We were the prisoners
Of our own fantasy

wade-newb

#170 Post by wade-newb » 21 Jan 2012 10:26

Hansi... IS GOD. Vocals in ATTWS are just perfect
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

Traveller in Time

#171 Post by Traveller in Time » 21 Jan 2012 10:33

@Vorkosigan: As far as i know the liner notes just come with the limited edition (3CD).

@bestpike: the liner notes, give you the answer ;) First attempt to work with classical orchestration and bringing new sound.

Btw i really like those liner notes, there is everything in it. sarcasm, irony and fun and some nice informations. Great job, Hansi (i guess it was him)

And those lines really hooked me:
Since time is not real you technically and practically can consider the next 5 Blind Guardian albums as an accomplished achievement of the past, the future and the present? After 25 years of practicing we are finally ready to start working on some seriously good music. The days of rehearsals are over. We are ready to hit the lights.
Awesome :D
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

loren

#172 Post by loren » 21 Jan 2012 13:09

The remix of This Will Never End is great! Finally, I can listen to the studio version of a song of ATITM, which I think has the worst production of BG. The original had everything max volumed, the drums sounded far too dry and artificial (especially the snare) and even the vocals sounded too thin and pitchy. With the new mix it shows off WAY better! I think that they should remix the whole thing. Then, ATITM would have a chance to be more liked among the band's fans.

I think it speaks for itself what most people think of this album (and I blame mostly its production for it) when, at live shows, Hansi announces the next song they play is from ATITM. You can barely hear a reaction of joy.

So if anyone from the band, or among the band, reads this comment (I doubt it), please consider the remixing of the whole album.
https://www.facebook.com/uncertaingreece
http://www.reverbnation.com/uncertain4
One of my bands. Death/progressive metal from Athens, Greece!

Dentarthurdent

#173 Post by Dentarthurdent » 21 Jan 2012 13:28

Traveller in Time wrote:@bestpike: the liner notes, give you the answer ;) First attempt to work with classical orchestration and bringing new sound.
And as well, that they had never done a song like this before and probably never will again, though it might be interesting. And the re-mix really brins stuff out here way better. A very underrated song, imho.

Oh, and peole, quit that sissy whining.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

residentour

#174 Post by residentour » 21 Jan 2012 16:57

I have listened to ATTWS and I am so disapponted about mixing and mastering results. You really prefer to the original one?

- Drums are not audible enough.
- Stereo field is too wide, there is almost none at the hard center
- Too much high end at vocals, they are essing.
- volume of bass guitar is higher than usual.
- muddy rhythm guitar tones, over fat tones.
- Volume is not stable
- Cymbals are overcompressed (why the hell people compress cymbals :evil: )

ErHaO

#175 Post by ErHaO » 21 Jan 2012 18:35

Well, the only thing are maybe the cymballs for me, but I cannot believe people actually prefer the old production. And I do hear the drums really good. Now everything is way more balanced and does not get drowned in one thousand Hansi's belting out all the time, with the drums overtaking the wide scope of sounds in the background like the bass guitar and some cool riffs of the guitars. And the vocals are so much beter now. Much more rawness, variety and emotion imo. So I'm really happy at the moment.

Edain

#176 Post by Edain » 21 Jan 2012 20:34

- volume of bass guitar is higher than usual.
You actually count the fact, that the bass is finally at least audible, as a con? :shock:

The unstable volume is indeed a bit annoying, but that's a minor problem - the improvements outweigh that by far.
"Edis Rehto Eht Morf Snoitanigami!"

residentour

#177 Post by residentour » 21 Jan 2012 23:52

You actually count the fact, that the bass is finally at least audible, as a con?
The Band prefered fatter rhythm guitars for overall album, when adding a high volume bass it makes an interface of low end region.
The ex production isn't the best but better than this new one. Ateot was perfect for me.

ErHaO

#178 Post by ErHaO » 22 Jan 2012 00:28

I do agree with WoT and SW sounding better, but I really like the new recordings very much. It is indeed a matter of taste offcourse.

Dentarthurdent

#179 Post by Dentarthurdent » 22 Jan 2012 13:38

I doN't really like the new Bard's Song. While two blokes with lutes/guitars sittting at a fire somewhere in the forest fit this song perfectly, I fail to imagine a bleeding orchestra at a fire in the middle of a forest.

Midnight

#180 Post by Midnight » 22 Jan 2012 14:33

Although I can imagine Santa Guardian conducting a dwarven orchestra.

I like the new version by the way.

wade-newb

#181 Post by wade-newb » 23 Jan 2012 06:45

Midnight wrote:Although I can imagine Santa Guardian conducting a dwarven orchestra.

I like the new version by the way.
I like it too, quite a lot, but prefer the original by far.
I've been playing this CD on repeat for a few days now... It's awesome!

brazilian_bard

#182 Post by brazilian_bard » 23 Jan 2012 16:17

Anyone knows if there are mixed new things on the tracks? I know there are remixes, re-recordings and reworks...

I mean... in Somewhere far Beyond remix, for example, there are vocals, guitar tones and things on the drums that sounds really new.

Are those things only remixed, or there are new recordings? The whole sound remains the same, but those details are feeling like new recordings...

This Will Never end remix is awesome. The Bard's Song The Hobbit!!! I can't believe the've re-recorded my favourite song!!!

Anyway, this albums is awesome, a truly gift for BG lovers. :) :) I'm so f** happy today.

T3hOverlord

#183 Post by T3hOverlord » 23 Jan 2012 21:37

I really like how they made the drums triggered in the old songs, most people hate triggered drums but I love the sound.

Anyways, I just discovered the re-recorded ATTWS's deepest, darkest secret . . .
the part around 6:00
"Fear the heat of passion, father king
Don't let him in
Don't let her in
Desire, lust, obssession
Death they'll bring"

they use the same vocal bit from the 2002 version, its not re-recorded
I listened to that part on both versions like 100 times each back to back to back to back and that is the only conclusion I can come to. Give it a listen yourself and see.

t.a.j.

#184 Post by t.a.j. » 23 Jan 2012 21:48

Ah, that's what annoyed me so much about the remixes.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

wade-newb

#185 Post by wade-newb » 24 Jan 2012 06:48

T3hOverlord wrote:I really like how they made the drums triggered in the old songs, most people hate triggered drums but I love the sound.

Anyways, I just discovered the re-recorded ATTWS's deepest, darkest secret . . .
Don't let him in
Don't let her in
Desire, lust, obssession
Death they'll bring"

I listened to that part on both versions like 100 times each back to back to back to back and that is the only conclusion I can come to. Give it a listen yourself and see.
They do that at a few parts actually.

T3hOverlord

#186 Post by T3hOverlord » 24 Jan 2012 06:58

fuck

where else? thats the only part i picked up on

Twister

#187 Post by Twister » 24 Jan 2012 10:32

wade-newb wrote:
T3hOverlord wrote:I really like how they made the drums triggered in the old songs, most people hate triggered drums but I love the sound.

Don't let him in
Don't let her in
Desire, lust, obssession
Death they'll bring"

They do that at a few parts actually.
Yeah, in many "backing vocals" parts
"Well, I was about to announce the next song, but I think we'll have to skip it...
Yeah, because we have a pretty sad song here, and you all seem so happy to me...!"

(Hansi Kursch)

The Rider Of Rohan

#188 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 24 Jan 2012 11:27

I thought I'd give the new compilation a shot, and so far it's really interesting. The remixes are quite good. I love how the different nuances in the mix are more audible this time around, which makes for a more satisfying experience overall. On many songs I am actually able to hear the differences between the various members of the choirs, and the new mix of Somewhere Far Beyond is so good that it actually sounds like a rerecording. I didn't like the 2007 remixes at all (all they did was bunk up the loudness), but this is really, really excellent. Oh, and ATTWS is great too. They should really consider rerecording the entire album for it's 10th year anniversary.

So all in all this is a great release. There's always bound to be something to nitpick when it comes to the tracklist, but that's to be expected. Other than that, it's great.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Orodaran

#189 Post by Orodaran » 25 Jan 2012 21:03

Anyway, it is just me or Hansi in ATTWS seems like he's singing "Fuck myself, she dies in vain"?
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

ent

#190 Post by ent » 25 Jan 2012 23:00

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:They should really consider rerecording the entire album for it's 10th year anniversary.
I agree, ATTWS is great :D

remixes is great, song sounds fresh :D
CROATIAN BARD

Blind Guardian Croatian Bards
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blind-Gua ... 0227785608

prongs

#191 Post by prongs » 26 Jan 2012 23:24

Memories of a Time to Come sure is great but I don't really agree with all of you saying that ATTWS is better than the original...The Hobbit on the other hand kicks some serious ass :)
Anyway,great job overall, keep it up Guardian \m/
Ladies!!!!!!!....please avert your eyes....I've been known to hypnotise....

FantasyDrummer

#192 Post by FantasyDrummer » 27 Jan 2012 00:11

I really like the demos of the older songs (alternative lyrics!).

Were those just remixed or also reworked?

bestpike

#193 Post by bestpike » 27 Jan 2012 02:33

I have to agree that somehow the original Attws sounds better to me too. It's essentially the same song though. I'd be a bit more excited if they tried to change it more.
Forever to be free

Andreas

#194 Post by Andreas » 27 Jan 2012 08:58

Mmm I expected something better from ATTWS. It's a bit stripped down now, and I can understand people liking that. But not me.

T3hOverlord

#195 Post by T3hOverlord » 27 Jan 2012 09:32

Yeah, the original is still the one in my Power Metal playlist, but I changed the live Valhalla for the re-recorded one

Orodaran

#196 Post by Orodaran » 27 Jan 2012 21:30

bestpike wrote:I have to agree that somehow the original Attws sounds better to me too. It's essentially the same song though. I'd be a bit more excited if they tried to change it more.
Well, it's the changes I don't like.... but only in the vocal department. I was so used to the "nanananana the nightmare shall be over now" part the way it was for the last 10 years, that to hear it in a different way just doesn't sound "right". And a bit after that there's another passage a bit lowered down, like if he was singing live and not in studio... ok, maybe he wanted to make it more similar to the way they perform it live now, but I would have preferred all the vocal lines intact.

And there's still that "fuck myself she dies in vain" thing :P
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

bestpike

#197 Post by bestpike » 27 Jan 2012 22:25

I was kinda baffled with the part at 2:04 after where it says "the madman's head it shall be thine". That particular part is different in the original version and live performances and the new recording. In the original after 'thine' the next lyric is immediately sung, in lives Hansi drags thine a bit more to create a little space. In this new version none of those two things happen. There is just no voice at all for just a second. That part kinda interrupts the flow for me. I know its nitpicking but that's one of my favorite parts to sing along, cause it's kinda tongue-twisting :P.
Forever to be free

Orodaran

#198 Post by Orodaran » 28 Jan 2012 00:17

Ah, right, I noticed that myself too!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

wade-newb

#199 Post by wade-newb » 28 Jan 2012 07:32

"Sorrow let me be" at the end has become "Sorrow let me fee"? Am I hearing things?

Ryu

#200 Post by Ryu » 28 Jan 2012 12:27

wade, I do believe the lyric was and still is 'sorrow and defeat'.
Defiant of destiny