Memories of a Time to Come

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Orodaran

Re: Memories of a Time to Come

#201 Post by Orodaran » 28 Jan 2012 15:22

wade-newb wrote:"Sorrow let me be" at the end has become "Sorrow let me fee"? Am I hearing things?
Ryu wrote:wade, I do believe the lyric was and still is 'sorrow and defeat'.
Ryu is right...
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Zhuge Liang

#202 Post by Zhuge Liang » 29 Jan 2012 02:50

Somewhere Far Beyond really stands out to me for some reason. Love the way it sounds.
"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." -Zhuge Liang

wade-newb

#203 Post by wade-newb » 29 Jan 2012 08:47

Orodaran wrote:
wade-newb wrote:"Sorrow let me be" at the end has become "Sorrow let me fee"? Am I hearing things?
Ryu wrote:wade, I do believe the lyric was and still is 'sorrow and defeat'.
Ryu is right...
Ohhhh. Thanks for clearing that up! :wink:
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

JaceArveduin

#204 Post by JaceArveduin » 30 Jan 2012 05:07

I was sad, then I found out some of it's already on youtube and was one happy bastard. Not sure which one I've liked best
Confidence is ignorance, if you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know. -Foaly
Make a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire, he's warm for the rest of his life.

The Frederick

#205 Post by The Frederick » 31 Jan 2012 01:28

Probably already asked, but what's the difference between remixes, re-recordings and re-workings?

JaceArveduin

#206 Post by JaceArveduin » 31 Jan 2012 01:56

I'm terrible at this, but if I were to take a guess...

Remixes are where they go and change up how everything sounds. Maybe make the drums a little louder and maybe make this one chorus a little softer, stuff like that.

Re-recording is where they do just that, re-record it.

Re-workings I've no bloody clue, to be honest, but my guess is that's what And Then There Was Silence falls under. They re-recorded a good deal of it, but they also used some scraps from the older version.
Confidence is ignorance, if you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know. -Foaly
Make a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire, he's warm for the rest of his life.

The Frederick

#207 Post by The Frederick » 31 Jan 2012 02:00

I definitely think there's new stuff in the remixes, though. In the Forest was marked as a remix, but the orchestral stuff is all new.

T3hOverlord

#208 Post by T3hOverlord » 31 Jan 2012 04:25

They said on their website that late into the recording process, they re-recorded In The Forest; that's why it's marked as a remix. Valhalla, ATTWS, The Hobbit, and In The Forest were all re-recorded. The rest were remixed with the exception of the tracks from ATEOT.

Darth Arrow

#209 Post by Darth Arrow » 31 Jan 2012 12:08

Actually Ride into Obsession is also remixed, Sacred Worlds is the only song identical with it's original album-counterpart. And the booklet says that In the Forest is re-recorded, so the only place with misinformation on that is the announcement of MoaTtC on the website, when they still were planning to only remix ItF.
JaceArveduin wrote:I'm terrible at this, but if I were to take a guess...

Remixes are where they go and change up how everything sounds. Maybe make the drums a little louder and maybe make this one chorus a little softer, stuff like that.

Re-recording is where they do just that, re-record it.

Re-workings I've no bloody clue, to be honest, but my guess is that's what And Then There Was Silence falls under. They re-recorded a good deal of it, but they also used some scraps from the older version.
ATTWS is a rerecording, and only the Symphonies of Doom demos on the 3rd CD were marked as "reworked". But I'm having a hard time figuring out what does "reworked" actually mean, as I fail to hear any real difference between the demos released on CD3 opposed to the old MP3's taken from cassettes(?) which I got from Curufin's BG-page some 6-years-back or so... Obviously the quality is much better, but I can't hear any differences with the actual music. Maybe they just "cleaned it up" like when they restore old movies? :) Like remove dust from tapes before transfering them to digital format? :D

T3hOverlord

#210 Post by T3hOverlord » 31 Jan 2012 23:39

i said Ride into Obesseion wasnt remixed cause I cannot tell the difference between the two at all

teo_guardian

#211 Post by teo_guardian » 01 Feb 2012 03:39

Old ATTWS is far more epic than the new one.

The Frederick

#212 Post by The Frederick » 01 Feb 2012 10:07

T3hOverlord wrote:i said Ride into Obesseion wasnt remixed cause I cannot tell the difference between the two at all
Well, one difference is Hansi audibly singing "The wheel will turn" by himself (over the layering) in the chorus.

EDIT: I was actually wrong with this one, it's the same in the original. Maybe they just made it more prominent in the remix.
Last edited by The Frederick on 06 Feb 2012 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

Zook

#213 Post by Zook » 01 Feb 2012 19:12

teo_guardian wrote:Old ATTWS is far more epic than the new one.
Very true.

brazilian_bard

#214 Post by brazilian_bard » 01 Feb 2012 19:35

Make a new album the way it is, with remixes, reworks and re-recordings, is to like so much your own work, and to respect and be very nice with all those who like your work too.

I really don't know any other band like this. I'm so happy with the new remixes and works, it gave a new motivation and perception for the songs we already now, its like they are new songs... I like the new things on Marcus guitar in mirror mirror. And why not say, the song's choice was perfect. Impossible better.

teo_guardian

#215 Post by teo_guardian » 01 Feb 2012 19:59

brazilian_bard wrote:Make a new album the way it is, with remixes, reworks and re-recordings, is to like so much your own work, and to respect and be very nice with all those who like your work too.
too bad none of your words are true and this was a push from their extremely demanding record label.

brazilian_bard

#216 Post by brazilian_bard » 01 Feb 2012 20:05

teo_guardian wrote:
brazilian_bard wrote:Make a new album the way it is, with remixes, reworks and re-recordings, is to like so much your own work, and to respect and be very nice with all those who like your work too.
too bad none of your words are true and this was a push from their extremely demanding record label.
I would talk about this, but I choose to not. I really don't care about it anymore. They are a band and it is a job like any other (maybe not like any other, much better). I could stay here talking bad about nuclear blast for pages and pages, but, why? What I would get? This is the life.
I want them to feel happy and rewarded for their work, because I feel like this when I hear their music. And, being a demand of N.B. or not, the album is awesome... you are right, but, in the end, who cares?
If the work was bad, like many of their video clips, I would feel really frustrated because it was a forced cold demand. I really don't like most of their 'post-N.B.' clips because you can see clearly it was just a demand, not having all the attention it needs. But it is not the case :wink:

teo_guardian

#217 Post by teo_guardian » 01 Feb 2012 20:18

well it is a good album ..but what is bad about it is that it takes time from them..they could be working on other new stuff ...OR they could not be working and having some rest for a while.I feel so bad about them when i see that they are touring for almost 2 years and then i see that they imidiately release something....i would feel better if i knew that they get the rest they need and they are not always pushed to work on something.

teo_guardian

#218 Post by teo_guardian » 01 Feb 2012 20:20

Then again they must be getting crazy money these days so i guess hard work is the only option...

Darth Arrow

#219 Post by Darth Arrow » 02 Feb 2012 13:49

brazilian_bard wrote:
teo_guardian wrote:
I would talk about this, but I choose to not. I really don't care about it anymore. They are a band and it is a job like any other (maybe not like any other, much better). I could stay here talking bad about nuclear blast for pages and pages, but, why? What I would get? This is the life.
I want them to feel happy and rewarded for their work, because I feel like this when I hear their music. And, being a demand of N.B. or not, the album is awesome... you are right, but, in the end, who cares?
If the work was bad, like many of their video clips, I would feel really frustrated because it was a forced cold demand. I really don't like most of their 'post-N.B.' clips because you can see clearly it was just a demand, not having all the attention it needs. But it is not the case :wink:
Umm, you guys do realize that you're bashing Nuclear Blast for a best-of album they (that is: Nuclear Blast) did not release? MoaTtC was published by Virgin/EMI, BG's previous label from 1991-2005. Wasn't it Hansi who said in a Guardian TV episode that the reason why they don't have Fly on MoaTtC is that after negotiating with NB, they allowed the band to have only one song from ATitM appear on this best of. I don't know anything about how music industry works, but wouldn't this mean that Virgin/EMI is making money with songs that NB has the publishing rights to? And therefore NB obviously doesn't like the idea of having more songs they own the rights to to appear under a different label album.

brazilian_bard

#220 Post by brazilian_bard » 02 Feb 2012 17:04

@Darth Arrow So I can start thinking again that make a new album the way it is, with remixes, reworks and re-recordings, is to like so much your own work, and to respect and be very nice with all those who like your work too. Unless Virgin/EMI just wanted to make some more money with BG amazing songs 8)
teo_guardian wrote:well it is a good album ..but what is bad about it is that it takes time from them..they could be working on other new stuff ...OR they could not be working and having some rest for a while.I feel so bad about them when i see that they are touring for almost 2 years and then i see that they imidiately release something....i would feel better if i knew that they get the rest they need and they are not always pushed to work on something.
This looks really bad. But it should be up to them for decide. I mean... I don't think they need that much of making money, but it's hard to say... more hard to think that a band with their magnitude would submit this way to a label. Maybe they just want it, and can't get enough of the live performances fun. Who knows... I prefeer to think they do get lots of money and don't want to stop getting it haha. What I consider just fair :)

T3hOverlord

#221 Post by T3hOverlord » 10 Feb 2012 01:54

can someone post pictures of the album booklet?

Sadman

#222 Post by Sadman » 11 Feb 2012 01:09

I'm listening to the new version of ATTWS on spotify and in the part with the choirs 'nanananananaaah the nightmare shall be over now etc.' I've noticed some weird noises in the background. If those are supposed to be there, they feel a little strange.

Dentarthurdent

#223 Post by Dentarthurdent » 11 Feb 2012 10:54

Sadman wrote:I'm listening to the new version of ATTWS on spotify and in the part with the choirs 'nanananananaaah the nightmare shall be over now etc.' I've noticed some weird noises in the background. If those are supposed to be there, they feel a little strange.
Maybe you mean André's lead. He's going a bit too heavy on wahwah there.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

Midnight

#224 Post by Midnight » 11 Feb 2012 11:40

Sadman wrote:I'm listening to the new version of ATTWS on spotify and in the part with the choirs 'nanananananaaah the nightmare shall be over now etc.' I've noticed some weird noises in the background. If those are supposed to be there, they feel a little strange.
I am hearing a horse there. Maybe that is on purpose because of the Trojan Horse, but that would be ridiculous :D

Midnight

#225 Post by Midnight » 11 Feb 2012 11:42

T3hOverlord wrote:can someone post pictures of the album booklet?

I would very much appreciate the same thing! They are nowhere to find on the Internet and if it is not illegal to post them there or something, it would take a few minutes to scan the booklet and post the scans here.

Sadman

#226 Post by Sadman » 11 Feb 2012 17:37

Dentarthurdent wrote:
Maybe you mean André's lead. He's going a bit too heavy on wahwah there.
They are very short noises, like 0.1 seconds. It could be the sounds of the friction with the neck of the guitar but they still don't seem to belong there.

They are more noticeable right at the beginning of the choir (2 per 'nanana...').

Anyway, amazing song, I can't decide between the old and the new ones, maybe a mix of the two would be perfect for me :)

FantasyDrummer

#227 Post by FantasyDrummer » 11 Feb 2012 18:26

Sadman wrote:
Anyway, amazing song, I can't decide between the old and the new ones, maybe a mix of the two would be perfect for me :)
Hmm, I do not really like the new version of ATTWS.
The drums are missing when there are supposed to blast in the beginning and are a bit unpresent in the whole song, though you can hear really that Frederik plays some parts a bit harsher than even Thomen did.

bard_92

#228 Post by bard_92 » 11 Feb 2012 23:44

Yeah,there're really some places where it sounds like horse voices, but I'm not sure that this is the idea :D

Isis65

#229 Post by Isis65 » 12 Feb 2012 14:39

Meanwhile, in the magazines are going out several reviews of the album ... I'm sure you'll read many, this came to me on a social network, I did not understand much because I do not speak German (or even English, to say the true), but maybe this can interest to someone ....
http://www.metal-hammer.de/reviews/albe ... st-of.html
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

Dentarthurdent

#230 Post by Dentarthurdent » 12 Feb 2012 20:25

Does a Best-of by Blind Guardian really make sense? Absolutely! Does a review on it make sense? In none of the universes known to us, because what else could be assigned to it than a big, fat seven? But still, this extensive compilation must be explicitly accalimed.

Memories of a Time to Come is offering more than just lovelessly stringed-up random tracks from a Blind Guardian-playlist. It is rather an overview of all (!) albums and eras of the band, thereby uniting their different styles but still retaining a homogenous sound. By having given (almost) each song a rework, some even a re-recording, this collection is interesting even for die-hard fans. The epic And Then There Was Silence never sounded more bombastical! Classics like Somewhere far Beyond and The Bard's song (both parts, by the way), yet even Nightfall as well reveal some new facets.

A third CD completes the limited edition of Memories of a Time to Come with a couple of demo-recordings. This is how a best-of should look like, and no two ways about it. The final, undeniable proof that Blind Guardian counts among the greatest and most important German metal-bands.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

The Frederick

#231 Post by The Frederick » 12 Feb 2012 22:16

The thing with Blind Guardian, is that anybody who's a true fan of BG knows that they have released no bad albums and no bad songs. For us, a best of album should be their whole discography.

But I recommended this album to my friend, who's a BG fan but only knows the newer stuff. I thought it'd be good for her, she could learn some of their classic songs.

T3hOverlord

#232 Post by T3hOverlord » 14 Feb 2012 01:32

I would consider myself a true Blind Guardian fan but even I must admit they have a few (under 10) songs that I don't quite enjoy.

thrashinbatman

#233 Post by thrashinbatman » 15 Feb 2012 03:54

I haven't found songs I don't like yet, but some that aren't as good as others. But that's still a great track record.

T3hOverlord

#234 Post by T3hOverlord » 15 Feb 2012 06:56

Gandalf's Rebirth, The Martyr, Dead of The Night etc

yuck

Mirror Mirror

Yes

wade-newb

#235 Post by wade-newb » 15 Feb 2012 07:11

T3hOverlord wrote:Gandalf's Rebirth, The Martyr, Dead of The Night etc

yuck

Mirror Mirror

Yes
Wut. Why don't you like Gandalf's Rebirth?
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

Dentarthurdent

#236 Post by Dentarthurdent » 15 Feb 2012 12:09

wut? What's wrong witht the Martyr? And Dead of the Night would kick some ass as well, if it had been recorded in a proper studio.

ErHaO

#237 Post by ErHaO » 15 Feb 2012 17:04

I like all their original songs released since 1990 (so starting with Tales of the Twilight World). Before that, there are several songs that I don't really like that much. Especially from Follow the Blind. And this is actually mainly due to the production and the way Hansi sings (for some reason I like his singin better in Battalions of Fear). For example, the original version of Valhalla is not listenable for me (partly due to Kai). But I do love the live version and the new one kind of grew on me after a few spins (Kai sounds way better imo). So I think a few of those old songs which I don't like would really benefit from rerecordings or proper live recordings.

I like the playlist of Memories a lot. But they could've easily made a best of with completely different songs in the same vein, without having quality loss (Lord of the Rings orchestral, Battlefield/Banished from Sanctuary/Time what is Time rerecorded with other classics remixed and maybe the unreleased song(s) would've made me equally happy). I really dig the package and do not think it took that much time of them to delay the two coming albums. First time I wanted to have a best of CD in my collection actually (and one that is worth it).

brazilian_bard

#238 Post by brazilian_bard » 15 Feb 2012 17:13

wade-newb wrote:
T3hOverlord wrote:Gandalf's Rebirth, The Martyr, Dead of The Night etc
yuck

Mirror Mirror
Yes
Wut. Why don't you like Gandalf's Rebirth?
Gandalf's Rebirth song is awesome, I still listen to it nowadays... just like 'By the Gates of Moria'. It's epic! Not just the harmonies, there are Hansi rockin the bass!!!
Dentarthurdent wrote:wut? What's wrong witht the Martyr? And Dead of the Night would kick some ass as well, if it had been recorded in a proper studio.
The Martyr is really one of my favourite BG songs. I really think they should start playing it alive :P

Steffi

#239 Post by Steffi » 15 Feb 2012 23:34

I like that alternative version of "A Past and Future Secrets". I don't exactly know what Hansi is singing about, but the lyrics are beautiful: "Without you I am a king without crown" - I love that part.

T3hOverlord

#240 Post by T3hOverlord » 16 Feb 2012 00:15

I agree, though I don't really think Blind Guardian came into their own until Tales, I like pretty much every song since 1990, except for maybe The Edge and Road of No Release. But I'm not a big fan of most stuff prior to 1990

somnia

#241 Post by somnia » 16 Feb 2012 07:41

Zook wrote:
Very true.
I'm sorry, but that's wrong. Old version (and all of ANATO) had a very shitty production with absolutely no dynamic range, every sound and the whole mix compressed to the effing peak with a low enough overall volume to compensate. An insult to the awesome music, unbearable pain for our ears and a black mark for Blind Guardian. I can't for the life of me stand that for more than a song at a time. It feels like bleeding from my ears, inwards.
power progressive metal: polimat
game music and soundtrack: dogac yavuz

T3hOverlord

#242 Post by T3hOverlord » 17 Feb 2012 00:22

Really? Maybe it's just me but I don't find much wrong with the production on the original ATTWS, I think it's as good as they could have got with a keyboard orchestra.

The drums and tinnyness of the new one though . . . yuck

bestpike

#243 Post by bestpike » 17 Feb 2012 09:33

somnia wrote: I'm sorry, but that's wrong. Old version (and all of ANATO) had a very shitty production with absolutely no dynamic range, every sound and the whole mix compressed to the effing peak with a low enough overall volume to compensate. An insult to the awesome music, unbearable pain for our ears and a black mark for Blind Guardian. I can't for the life of me stand that for more than a song at a time. It feels like bleeding from my ears, inwards.
I must have been listening to a different track for the last 10 years.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Darth Arrow

#244 Post by Darth Arrow » 17 Feb 2012 11:08

bestpike wrote:
somnia wrote: I'm sorry, but that's wrong. Old version (and all of ANATO) had a very shitty production with absolutely no dynamic range, every sound and the whole mix compressed to the effing peak with a low enough overall volume to compensate. An insult to the awesome music, unbearable pain for our ears and a black mark for Blind Guardian. I can't for the life of me stand that for more than a song at a time. It feels like bleeding from my ears, inwards.
I must have been listening to a different track for the last 10 years.
+1
I too am one of those who likes the original ATTWS over the rerecorded one. Rerecorded has its points, it's much clearer, sharper and allaround "tidier", but I love the old versions "epicness" and the fact that it's so "full" actually benefits the song imo. New version is great, but it won't take the old off the pedestral for me :)

For the "songs I don't like" discussion I have to say that the only songs I absolutely loathe are Tommyknockers and Altair 4. I can never listen to those without getting angry over how crappy they are :( I don't have that kind of problem with any other songs, not even some of those not-so-great-songs-off-from-FtB. They don't make me angry, theyre just... average :lol:

ErHaO

#245 Post by ErHaO » 17 Feb 2012 12:47

somnia wrote:
Zook wrote:
Very true.
I'm sorry, but that's wrong. Old version (and all of ANATO) had a very shitty production with absolutely no dynamic range, every sound and the whole mix compressed to the effing peak with a low enough overall volume to compensate. An insult to the awesome music, unbearable pain for our ears and a black mark for Blind Guardian. I can't for the life of me stand that for more than a song at a time. It feels like bleeding from my ears, inwards.
The album has an unique sound and I sometimes do like the overbombastic unhuman sounding production (aside from the plastic keyboard sounds. I do not know why, but a lot of other bands use computers and keyboards to produce orchestral sounds and mimic it quite good. ANATO fails flat on this one imo). But I know what you mean. For the same reason ANATO is the only album from them I can't listen to as a whole. It is just too tiring. The rerecording is way more dynamic and makes several moments stand out while the softer parts have more feeling, at least to me.

T3hOverlord

#246 Post by T3hOverlord » 18 Feb 2012 02:06

ANATO would have been a better album if they simply removed Maiden and The Minstral Knight, and Sadly Sings Destiny. I take those out of my itunes playlist, and ANATO is my favourite BG album to listen to from start to finish minus those 2 songs.

bestpike

#247 Post by bestpike » 18 Feb 2012 03:12

T3hOverlord wrote:ANATO would have been a better album if they simply removed Maiden and The Minstral Knight, and Sadly Sings Destiny. I take those out of my itunes playlist, and ANATO is my favourite BG album to listen to from start to finish minus those 2 songs.
Sadly Sings Destiny is an excellent song. Took me many years to realize though.
Forever to be free

Metatron

#248 Post by Metatron » 18 Feb 2012 22:31

^I agree, I love the lyrics, the suspenseful bridge, the chorus, the groove, the solo. It's one of those tracks that show that Blind Guardian isn't just another Power metal band, but much more.

Concerning 'Memories' I like the re-recorded tracks, particularly ATTWS because of the superior dynamics. Otherwise not too many surprises, Valhalla sounds good, but nothing we haven't already heard in the live versions or in the original, same for The Hobbit, though the vocals obviously sound more 'mature'.
Abandoning the superior mind

bestpike

#249 Post by bestpike » 19 Feb 2012 06:55

About The Hobbit, excellent re-recording, although I can't believe he sung Thorin as Torin again...
Forever to be free

Traveller in Time

#250 Post by Traveller in Time » 19 Feb 2012 11:13

I really like the new recorded The bard's Song of course it loses this familiar flair (single bard sitting on a campfire + a small fellowship), but therefore the the orchestra reveals the real beauty of the melody and it gets really epic. Some already mentioned that here. The Hobbit rules.

Valhalla never was one of my faves, but i like that Hansen is there again.
ATTWS sounds nice, but on some places it loses some nice parts like the "nanana" chorus, or maybe i'm just too used to the old version that i don't get warm (yet) with the new one.
I even have the feeling that old version is more fluent. Although they point out some nice guitar lines i never recognized before (like in Nightfall)

All in all Hansi's singing improved a lot and he put more feelings to the lyrics at all, that was really a suprise that he still improve something, although i already marked the songs as perfect. But i like his emotional singing.

The only line i always pause is on the Hobbit "oh what a fool, he is losing control" i always expect "controol" which would suit to the rhyme scheme better, but of course would be hurting every native speaker's ears ;)
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!