Memories of a Time to Come

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
DREAMASTER

Re: Memories of a Time to Come

#51 Post by DREAMASTER » 13 Nov 2011 15:25

budwyzer wrote:I hope they at least get the playback speed of the demos right this time.

Are you refering to the demos on the 2007 remasters ?
Behold the sword of power... Excalibur
Forged when the world was young
and bird and beast and flower were one with Man,
and Death was but a DREAM!!!

budwyzer

#52 Post by budwyzer » 13 Nov 2011 16:07

I am.

Dentarthurdent

#53 Post by Dentarthurdent » 13 Nov 2011 17:22

Waitwaitwait... when there's a tour, everyone complains that they're always playing the same songs. Now they're doing a best of-album with songs you don't hear all the fricking time and everyone complains that these songs they play live all the time aren't on it. wtf?

And no, live-versions do not belong on a best-of-album, with the possible exception of the Bard's Song. Talking of which, will the version on the Best-of be the one with that fan singing?

The only issue I have with the tracklist is the missing LotR, otherwise it's fine. I for one am glad that this is not just the Live-album in a studio version.

And the cover... well, it's one of Machado's stupid photoshop jobs, but I kinda like this one, at least more than the others I've seen. Similar to the new Iron Savior-cover though (guess who did that one.). And since someone mentioned shirts: I think this thing would look really awesome on a white shirt. Remains the question whether I need a shirt for the best-of.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

bestpike

#54 Post by bestpike » 13 Nov 2011 19:30

This album is surely not a best of album in the true sense of the word. That leaves us with 2 choices. There was a different purpose behind it or it wasn't (fully) picked by Blind Guardian (maybe some Nuclear Blast ppl who aren't longest bigtime fans of BG either). Only the fact that Fly or Another Stranger Me isn't in there, 2 of the most "different" songs in Atitm but also the whole BG discography alltogether, and This Will Never End instead was chosen to represent that album, makes it very clear to my eyes. Blind Guardian wouldn't leave Fly and Another Stranger Me out only to put This Will Never End in if they wanted to make an absolute Best of Album, no godamn way.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Dentarthurdent

#55 Post by Dentarthurdent » 13 Nov 2011 21:44

I think I read somwehere that this will be a Virgin release, not NB! That would also explain the few songs from the lst two albums: Virgin has no right on them and has to pay NB.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

Metal Fan
Location: In Angband, chatting with Melkor and learning how to rule the world!

#56 Post by Metal Fan » 13 Nov 2011 21:49

Dentarthurdent wrote:
Even the cover doesn't totally suck, even though it's Machado again:

The cover looks awesome!
⋨The Dagor Dagorath, the great final battle at which the forces of the brothers Manwë and Melkor will face one another, and Arda will be unmade.⋩
Is in with Bender on his plan
Blind Guardian wrote:A fairly small but absolutely bravehearted crowd in Tempe has made that a night remember. Marcus(on behalf of the band) says: Thank you:-)

Dentarthurdent

#57 Post by Dentarthurdent » 13 Nov 2011 21:59

But comapre it to this one, which will be released next week:

Totally generic again.

Orodaran

#58 Post by Orodaran » 13 Nov 2011 23:21

A gazillion of covers have that blue / red contrast now........

I still like it and I find the cover art pretty cool, but it's been done to death before.
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Alpha Penguin

#59 Post by Alpha Penguin » 14 Nov 2011 06:02

And of course you realize the re-recording of "Valhalla" will feature Kai Hansen ;)
How can we take it away from someone who has no right--no right to control the divine!!

t.a.j.

#60 Post by t.a.j. » 14 Nov 2011 12:54

Orodaran wrote:A gazillion of covers have that blue / red contrast now........

It's a simple trick that they teach every graphic designer. The single most abused colour contrast out there. Formulaic as fuck, but what can you do? Capitalism reduces everything to the lowest common shit.
I still like it and I find the cover art pretty cool, but it's been done to death before.
I can't even look at it without wanting to look at a painting instead. There's no soul, no ideas in that thing. It's made to contain stuff that is easily liked by the suspected target audience, in that silly yet intense contrast, which supposedly makes it look interesting, much like tons of dynamic compression supposedly makes music sound more interesting. It doesn't it all sounds and looks boring and identical and betrays the whole piece of garbage as a product made for market and not anything having anything at all to do with art.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

DREAMASTER

#61 Post by DREAMASTER » 14 Nov 2011 12:58

budwyzer wrote:I am.
Ah ok.

It was speed it up, right?

DREAMASTER

#62 Post by DREAMASTER » 14 Nov 2011 13:01

Dentarthurdent wrote:And no, live-versions do not belong on a best-of-album, with the possible exception of the Bard's Song. Talking of which, will the version on the Best-of be the one with that fan singing?

The only issue I have with the tracklist is the missing LotR, otherwise it's fine. I for one am glad that this is not just the Live-album in a studio version.
Why not? It shows how the band sounds live.

One of the best Compilation done, Iron Maiden's Best Of The Beast have more than 8 studio tracks, features exclusive live tracks plus live tracks from the live albums plus other rareties at the time. Oh and a great cover done by Derek Riggs \m/

DREAMASTER

#63 Post by DREAMASTER » 14 Nov 2011 13:05

Dentarthurdent wrote:But comapre it to this one, which will be released next week:

Totally generic again.

Indded that's why he makes covers like hot cakes, several ina row. He doesn't have to think much of what to do, he just pulls some generic stuff and uses them in many albums and just make some littles changes and it's done. What a fu***** crap!

Give me a paint illustration any day!

Dentarthurdent

#64 Post by Dentarthurdent » 14 Nov 2011 13:15

If I want to hear how a band sounds live, I go to see them live. And just as a side note, what you get on live albums is also not how the bands sounds like live. You can't put a live-mix on a CD because it sounds horrible. Live albums too are mixed afterwards in the studio.
The main part of publishing music is studio recordings and that's what a best-of is to feature. What's more, live tracks usually have a low sound quality and songs are sometimes played slighty different to pull them off more easily (like Hansi doing far less screaming and high stuff live). On studio versions, you get a more intricate and nuanced sound that lets you explore the music more easily. And that is what one who wants to get to know the band via the best of wants to do.

Live recordings belong on a live album. Or on youtube.

And another word on the coverquestion: This weekend I saw a small exhibition of originals of Kristian "Necrolord" Wahlin. There's a guy who can paint...

Desert_Storm

#65 Post by Desert_Storm » 14 Nov 2011 16:09

Dentarthurdent wrote: The main part of publishing music is studio recordings and that's what a best-of is to feature. What's more, live tracks usually have a low sound quality and songs are sometimes played slighty different to pull them off more easily (like Hansi doing far less screaming and high stuff live). On studio versions, you get a more intricate and nuanced sound that lets you explore the music more easily. And that is what one who wants to get to know the band via the best of wants to do.
As "live vs. studio" on a best of album is completely a matter of taste I would just like to point out that I found BG much more accessible on their live albums when I started listening to them. While they have all those hidden details and tons of effects and layers and (computer-)orchestration etc. on their albums, most songs sound like pretty much straight-forward rock when played live, especially the new stuff.
I agree with "more intricate and nuanced sound" on the studio album but I completely fail to see how that would make the music "more easily" explorable. In fact, "more intricate" as an argument for "more easily" is quite paradox.
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language

Dentarthurdent

#66 Post by Dentarthurdent » 14 Nov 2011 16:58

In terms of really exploring and diving into the music, I meant that. When there's a more intricate sound, you have more to discover. And BG is a band that really has much to discover.

Darth Arrow

#67 Post by Darth Arrow » 14 Nov 2011 18:32

Dentarthurdent wrote:Waitwaitwait... when there's a tour, everyone complains that they're always playing the same songs. Now they're doing a best of-album with songs you don't hear all the fricking time and everyone complains that these songs they play live all the time aren't on it. wtf?

And no, live-versions do not belong on a best-of-album, with the possible exception of the Bard's Song. Talking of which, will the version on the Best-of be the one with that fan singing?
Seconded. Before, during and after every tour they do, people are always complaining that the play the same old "fan favourites" again and again, they want to hear rarer songs and so on, and when they get them as a best of -remix/rerecord/rewhatever then they start complaining!! I also think that live-versions generally don't belong in a best of-compilation and it's better this way that all the songs are presumably studio recordings. I think it would be completely pointless to put songs from TT or Live on a best of, as I assume they haven't done other album-worth quality live recordings.

As to the people speculating this not being a best of and complaining about the tracklisting, did it occure to you that perhaps the band members themselves (I assume the songs would be mostly picked by Hansi, André and Marcus as Frederik hasn't been on the band that long compared to the rest of the bard's carreers) consider exactly these songs as the best songs from their respective albums? That what you guys want is actually a greatest hits album, and not a best of (they are two completely different things you know). Maybe Hansi, André and Marcus think that for example Follow the Blind is the killer song on FtB and don't give a shit about fans whining about the omitment of Banish from Sanctuary? I believe it's their call afterall.
Dentarthurdent wrote:And the cover... well, it's one of Machado's stupid photoshop jobs, but I kinda like this one, at least more than the others I've seen. Similar to the new Iron Savior-cover though (guess who did that one.). And since someone mentioned shirts: I think this thing would look really awesome on a white shirt. Remains the question whether I need a shirt for the best-of.
I don't judge Machado's works so harshly, but yes, it's true that they are generic. I actually like them quite a bit, but I too do think that they are somewhat unoriginal. I too hope to see more Andreas Marschall's covers sometime on future BG-albums.

Somebody already asked but no-one answered, so, re-worked? WTF? That something like rearranged & rerecorded? Like on TFT?

Also it would've been nice to have all the songs on the best of rerecorded, but let's be reasonable here. They've put this thing together probably in a few months, definitely not more than six months while also working on the orchestral project. It took them what? Something like 13-14 MONTHS to record ANATO, and they stated that HALF of the time went just to recording ATTWS, so i guess that is a major reason why they have not rerecorded everything. We know that they are perfectionists and they either do it properly or not at all. Though they probably this time didn't use six months to rerecord ATTWS, I nontheless believe it still took a while to accomplish that.

My last wish is that they wouldn't destroy the remixes by upping the volume levels (or whatever the proper term in English is) too high for the cd's to handle. I don't ever want to hear anything as horrible as Death Magnetic ever again... There's abso-fucking-lutely no reason to destroy recordings that way, dynamic sound FTW!!!

Oh, and did I already mention that FUCKING REINDEER'S BALLS WERE GETTING A RE-RECORD OF ATTWS!!!!!!!! EVEN IF THE REST OF THE ALBUM WAS COMPLETE AND UTTER CRAP WELL-DONE RE-RECORDING OF ATTWS FEAT. REAL ORCHESTRA WILL BE A FUCKING KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!

Desert_Storm

#68 Post by Desert_Storm » 14 Nov 2011 22:57

Darth Arrow wrote: That what you guys want is actually a greatest hits album, and not a best of (they are two completely different things you know).

Are they? Where did you get that definition? Never heard of a distinction between them. I type "best of" in wikipedia and I get re-directed to greatest hits ;)
WELL-DONE RE-RECORDING OF ATTWS FEAT. REAL ORCHESTRA WILL BE A FUCKING KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!
Would be. AFAIK, nobody said anything about a real orchestra thus far.

LeBard

#69 Post by LeBard » 15 Nov 2011 00:05

I hope the re-recording of The Hobbit means it will get a solid place in the set-list on the next tour, so - you know - I can actually get to hear it this time around. Same goes for all the rare songs included: Please, replace Majesty with Somewhere Far Beyond. And I'd love to hear The Last Candle and Follow the Blind. I don't even like Follow the Blind but it might be awesome in a live-environment. I wouldn't know, I haven't heard it and it's never appeared on a live album. Surprise me, Blind Guardian. :(

And about including live-songs on the Best Of album, I think it depends on the band. Some bands just lend themselves so well to live recordings, and I'd say Blind Guardian is one of them. Pretty sure I have a best of album from Iron Maiden where they use a couple of live songs. Fear of the Dark and The Clansmen for example. And I prefer a lot of songs on Tokyo Tales to their studio recording; The Quest for Tanelorn? Godly. So is Traveller in Time and Time What is Time. Man, just looking at the track list right now reminds me how awesome this album is. Right up there with Judas Priest's Unleashed in the East. If it is studio sorcery or just Blind Guardian being awesome I don't know. Huh, it pretty much already is a best-of for the earlier Blind Guardian discography.

Edain

#70 Post by Edain » 15 Nov 2011 00:06

Desert_Storm wrote:
Darth Arrow wrote: That what you guys want is actually a greatest hits album, and not a best of (they are two completely different things you know).

Are they? Where did you get that definition? Never heard of a distinction between them. I type "best of" in wikipedia and I get re-directed to greatest hits ;)
Well, although these two terms are used quite synonymous, I like the distinction between a "Best of" and a "Greatest hits" somehow. Putting the most successful songs on a CD is of course the best compromise between commercial success, satisfying the fans and probably the artist's pride in his songs. But still many commercial successful artists consider other songs than their most famous ones as their best songs - maybe they've been to complicated, too long, too low-key to gain the masses' attention - so putting THOSE into an album is a nice way of telling the audience to listen closer, to tell them that several songs have deserved a second or a third listen.

Of course, looking at the tracklist of the upcoming CD it's as much a Greatest Hits as it contains less played songs - but maybe the Guardians actually consider these songs as their best ones.

And yes, This will never end is one of the best tracks on ATITM. Besides Fly and Lionheart. :)
"Edis Rehto Eht Morf Snoitanigami!"

bestpike

#71 Post by bestpike » 15 Nov 2011 00:51

Edain wrote:
And yes, This will never end is one of the best tracks on ATITM. Besides Fly and Lionheart. :)
I too rank This Will Never End pretty high on Atitm (3rd actually), but do you really think it excels in any areas compared to Fly or Another Stranger Me? Also, if you have read some interviews, you'd agree that Hansi also considers Fly and Another Stranger Me the greatest offerings of Atitm. That's kinda the reason we see Fly so often in live gigs and not This Will Never End or anything else from Atitm. Another Stranger Me is not performed so much because its very demanding though.
Forever to be free

Desert_Storm

#72 Post by Desert_Storm » 15 Nov 2011 01:21

bestpike wrote:That's kinda the reason we see Fly so often in live gigs and not This Will Never End or anything else from Atitm.
I think the reason is also that Hansi couldn't pull off TWNE (or otherland for that matter) live, at least at the performances that I watched/attended :|

t.a.j.

#73 Post by t.a.j. » 15 Nov 2011 01:26

1. If there was a real orchestra on ATTWS, NB would have mentioned that in their sad little need to advertise the excellent as gimmicky.

2. Reworked does not mean e.g. accoustic version as on TFT. Again, if that were the case, it would have been part of the advertising. ATTWS was probably rerecorded to correct the horrible

bestpike

#74 Post by bestpike » 15 Nov 2011 01:32

Desert_Storm wrote:
bestpike wrote:That's kinda the reason we see Fly so often in live gigs and not This Will Never End or anything else from Atitm.
I think the reason is also that Hansi couldn't pull off TWNE (or otherland for that matter) live, at least at the performances that I watched/attended :|
Otherland just gets old really fast, at least for me, and probably for Hansi too. On the other hand, This Will Never End, I'd say he performs it very well live, and also by the number of times performed and also the youtube videos I can't see that he can't pull it off. On the contrary, Fly seems fairly harder, much longer screams (which he skips). But he chooses it for the setlist almost every single time in spite of that.
Forever to be free

Darth Arrow

#75 Post by Darth Arrow » 15 Nov 2011 17:39

Desert_Storm wrote:

Yes they are, as Edain explained. If you collect all the songs of a band which receive radio play on single album, it almost certainly would be a greatest hits album. If you ask the bandmembers themselves which songs are their best, the list will probably be somewhat different to the greatest hits list.
Desert_Storm wrote:
Darth Arrow wrote: WELL-DONE RE-RECORDING OF ATTWS FEAT. REAL ORCHESTRA WILL BE A FUCKING KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!
Would be. AFAIK, nobody said anything about a real orchestra thus far.
You're right, I should've written "would be". I still believe (and hope) that the rerecorded ATTWS will feature a real orchestra, as I see little reason to rerecord it otherwise. I don't know what t.a.j. was referring to when he wrote that "ATTWS was probably rerecorded to correct the horrible" (rest of the line missing) but if t.a.j. was going to refer to horrible mixing (which isn't horrible imo) they wouldn't need to rerecord it to just correct the mixing, would they? Also, why would Nuclear Blast advertise anything at all, when MoaTtC is confirmed to be released by Virgin? So lack of ads doesn't mean a thing.

t.a.j.

#76 Post by t.a.j. » 15 Nov 2011 19:28

I wanted to say "horrible production on ANATO"
Also, if NB doesn't release it, Virgin would do the advertising instead.

Desert_Storm

#77 Post by Desert_Storm » 15 Nov 2011 20:31

Darth Arrow wrote:
Desert_Storm wrote:

Yes they are, as Edain explained. If you collect all the songs of a band which receive radio play on single album, it almost certainly would be a greatest hits album. If you ask the bandmembers themselves which songs are their best, the list will probably be somewhat different to the greatest hits list.
It probably will be. Still the definition of that difference is somewhat private and not the obvious "completely different things" you made it seem that everybody should know. It's the same category on all sites and magazines that print discographies that I know of.
Darth Arrow wrote: I still believe (and hope) that the rerecorded ATTWS will feature a real orchestra, as I see little reason to rerecord it otherwise. I don't know what t.a.j. was referring to when he wrote that "ATTWS was probably rerecorded to correct the horrible" (rest of the line missing) but if t.a.j. was going to refer to horrible mixing (which isn't horrible imo) they wouldn't need to rerecord it to just correct the mixing, would they? Also, why would Nuclear Blast advertise anything at all, when MoaTtC is confirmed to be released by Virgin? So lack of ads doesn't mean a thing.
I also liked the recording very much (indeed it's one of my favourite studio tracks released by BG), but t.a.j. has a point about the advertising, whoever does or doesn't do it. Also there wasn't/isn't very much time in between the announcement and the release of the album, which is quite atypical for BG releases. Recording with an orchestra costs a lot of time and money; for hiring a guy who writes the orchestral arrangement, for the time that guy needs to do it, for finding an orchestra, for the orchestra to find the free time to study and rehearse and record it, for setting up the recording equipment to actually record an orchestra and last but not least for the whole mixing stuff. Of course it would be great to hear a version with an orchestra, maybe we will, but I don't put too much hope in that.

Orodaran

#78 Post by Orodaran » 15 Nov 2011 21:33

For those who still have doubt...

Greatest Hits = Collection of "hits" taken from singles released by a band. Dream Theater humorously called their GH "Greatest HIT" (singular) because they only had one radio hit, Pull Me Under.

Best Of = Collection of best songs.

Take Iron Maiden for example; on a greatest hits Hallowed Be Thy Name wouldn't be there 'cause it was never released as a single. On a Best Of it would be there 'cause it's widely acclaimed as one of their best songs.
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

T3hOverlord

#79 Post by T3hOverlord » 16 Nov 2011 00:35

why do any of us even care what the track listing is? Im pretty sure most of us already own all or most of their albums. All we should be caring about is the re-recordings, which are hopefully amazing

thrashinbatman

#80 Post by thrashinbatman » 16 Nov 2011 05:16

Darth Arrow wrote:
Dentarthurdent wrote:
My last wish is that they wouldn't destroy the remixes by upping the volume levels (or whatever the proper term in English is) too high for the cd's to handle. I don't ever want to hear anything as horrible as Death Magnetic ever again... There's abso-fucking-lutely no reason to destroy recordings that way, dynamic sound FTW!!!
I doubt that they'll do that. Death Magnetic really turned a lot of people away from that style of production, and ATEOT was pretty dynamic. In fact, it's actually quiet for an album released in 2010. When it comes to BG recordings, I don't think we have to worry about clipping issues, unless they lose their minds and hire Greg Fidelfuck.

DREAMASTER

#81 Post by DREAMASTER » 16 Nov 2011 14:19

Yeah? Go and see the sound waves. Everyting at the max. Not to mention one of the things that was a lot discussed here that was that strange sound on the fast songs during the guitars playing.

thrashinbatman

#82 Post by thrashinbatman » 16 Nov 2011 14:55

Hmm, really? It didn't feel too brickwalled to me. I just remember everyone talking about the chiming noises. I don't know why people compress songs to shit like that. Even when it doesn't clip, they remove all dynamics from the song, which is maddening when the mixing engineer put lots of time into making it dynamic. Probably why many people are mastering their own stuff now.

Traveller in Time

#83 Post by Traveller in Time » 16 Nov 2011 21:30

In the newest Nuclear Blast magazin there is a short report about the Best Of.

The idea came again from their old label Virgin, but the track list of course was chosen by them, they wanted to have from each album at least two songs (even from the NB released ones). hansi said of course it can happen that there is less than than one song from one album, but that is incidental. But the tried to get an nice mix of the BG backcatalog. And of course some songs which are highly preferred by the fans.

The re-recorded three songs: Valhalla, The Bard's Song - The Hobbit and ATTWS. The rest is just remixed (and only the Virgin tracks imo)
There also will be liner notes for each songs (i hope this time it will beso, as this was already promised for the 4 LP edition)
The positions of the songs will be set to have an arc of suspense.

The artwork features stuff of the old album artworks.

About Orchestra project: Nothing new. It will come, maybe in begin of 2013, but there can be also a regular BG release before.

Funny commercial on the back of the magazine: There is written:

Right in time to the 25th band anniversary: "The ultimate collection fom 1987 till 2011"
Mh wasn't Virgin releasing the remasters series as anniversary gift? ;)
Strange counting ;)
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Dentarthurdent

#84 Post by Dentarthurdent » 16 Nov 2011 21:43

Yes, Virgin released it as a 20th anniversary gift ;)

Traveller in Time

#85 Post by Traveller in Time » 16 Nov 2011 22:43

ah ok, you are right ;)

t.a.j.

#86 Post by t.a.j. » 17 Nov 2011 10:51

Gifts you don't have to pay for. Marketing gimmick is the term you're looking for.

Traveller in Time

#87 Post by Traveller in Time » 17 Nov 2011 21:47

Well i used their vocabulary ;)
And maybe it was a gift to BG (depends on how much they earned) :D

Darth Arrow

#88 Post by Darth Arrow » 17 Nov 2011 23:46

Desert_Storm wrote: I also liked the recording very much (indeed it's one of my favourite studio tracks released by BG), but t.a.j. has a point about the advertising, whoever does or doesn't do it. Also there wasn't/isn't very much time in between the announcement and the release of the album, which is quite atypical for BG releases. Recording with an orchestra costs a lot of time and money; for hiring a guy who writes the orchestral arrangement, for the time that guy needs to do it, for finding an orchestra, for the orchestra to find the free time to study and rehearse and record it, for setting up the recording equipment to actually record an orchestra and last but not least for the whole mixing stuff. Of course it would be great to hear a version with an orchestra, maybe we will, but I don't put too much hope in that.
As far as I can remember, Virgin never really advertised BG properly, and I understood that as one of the reasons why BG changed their label. So I don't know how much we can deduce from the lack of ads... True, there isn't that much time between announcement and release date, but what is to say that they haven't been working on MoaTtC since last summer for example? Yes, recording with orchestra takes more time and lots more money, but hey, they're already doing a whole ALBUM with an orchestra, so why not one song more? Can't be lack of money if they have enough to do album-worth of material with an orchestra. Are you sure they need somebody else to do the arrangements? I mean, they write music for the orchestra already because of the orchestral project, so how does that actually work? I don't know these things, but are you saying that they can't write the partitures/sheets/scores/whatchamacallit themselves? And they probably don't need to find orchestra anymore for obvious reasons :wink: Only the time needed for rehearsals and recordings. And the final thing is that I still can't see any point in rerecording ATTWS if not for the opportunity to do it with a real orchestra.

And for the best of vs. greatest hits discussion, of course they are completely different things, because I say so! :wink: You dumb or something? It's common knowledge cuz I happen to know about it :lol:

Desert_Storm

#89 Post by Desert_Storm » 19 Nov 2011 00:20

Darth Arrow wrote: As far as I can remember, Virgin never really advertised BG properly, and I understood that as one of the reasons why BG changed their label. So I don't know how much we can deduce from the lack of ads... True, there isn't that much time between announcement and release date, but what is to say that they haven't been working on MoaTtC since last summer for example? Yes, recording with orchestra takes more time and lots more money, but hey, they're already doing a whole ALBUM with an orchestra, so why not one song more?
These are all good points, still I think that BG have mostly started talking about projects at a time where it was nowhere near ready. I mean the albums since I have followed the band where always announced like "we're working on it, it's gonna be a year or two until release" and then they were postponed over and over. The orchestral project is the best example IMHO, I think it was first mentioned in 1998 that they are "working on it" and now it's nearly 2012 and we have nothing at all, what makes it kind of a Duke Nukem Forever thing (if it will be done before 2013 at least ;) ). So it would be a surprise.
Can't be lack of money if they have enough to do album-worth of material with an orchestra. Are you sure they need somebody else to do the arrangements? I mean, they write music for the orchestra already because of the orchestral project, so how does that actually work? I don't know these things, but are you saying that they can't write the partitures/sheets/scores/whatchamacallit themselves? And they probably don't need to find orchestra anymore for obvious reasons :wink: Only the time needed for rehearsals and recordings. And the final thing is that I still can't see any point in rerecording ATTWS if not for the opportunity to do it with a real orchestra.
- It could be a lack of money because the album will probably recorded when they're ready for doing the whole thing, at that point of course it won't matter too much if the orchestra has to learn and play one more song. Just going through the whole process for one song, though, is quite another thing
- Of course I don't know how exactly the collaboration with the orchestra works (that would actually be a good question for the video interview mentioned by the webmaster), but I can hardly imagine them to write orchestral arrangements. I mean I know hardly a violin (or cello/viola) player who could write an arrangement for even a string quartet, even though that's only three different instruments and all similar to what they play themselves, and I'm talking about professional players here who have studied music, played in orchestras and therefor know the literature quite well.
Writing for a full orchestra is a whole other thing, you typically get between twelve and twenty-four different groups of different instruments, giving a total of at least thirty-five but more typically about a hundred players.
I don't know of any classically trained professional player of a none-orchestral instrument who could write for that (much less than the string players above), and even less people who studied jazz or popular music. In fact I think most of the latter wouldn't even know where to find certain instruments on an orchestral score. You have to know what the instruments are, how they sound, how they sound together, what range they can play, what kind of playing techniques there are for each instrument and the list goes on. Then, to write it down, you have to know how they're tuned, if they're transposing etc. It doesn't end here, even if you know all that you need the knowledge and experience of what sounds good in which group of instruments, to decide who gets which notes of a chord or parts of a melody (and what the other instruments are doing in the meantime). Looking at all that, I can't imagine at all that they do it themselves. No other Band I have heard of does. I would guess that André writes the stuff on the piano so that he has the harmonies and the melodies and Hansi puts his vocal melodies on top of that, then they write it down (or have it written down, maybe by Charlie or Freddo ;)) and then somebody arranges that for orchestra. But that's all speculations of course.
The finding an orchestra part was meant as "finding an orchestra who has the time". I don't remember which orchestra(s) they worked with for ATEOT or will work with, but it won't be the Blind Guardian Orchestra who is just waiting for them to give them something to play ;)

Darth Arrow

#90 Post by Darth Arrow » 20 Nov 2011 00:01

Desert_Storm wrote:These are all good points, still I think that BG have mostly started talking about projects at a time where it was nowhere near ready. I mean the albums since I have followed the band where always announced like "we're working on it, it's gonna be a year or two until release" and then they were postponed over and over. The orchestral project is the best example IMHO, I think it was first mentioned in 1998 that they are "working on it" and now it's nearly 2012 and we have nothing at all, what makes it kind of a Duke Nukem Forever thing (if it will be done before 2013 at least ;) ). So it would be a surprise.
Maybe they've learned something about too early announcements, ZOMG! :shock: And as Duke Nukem Forever was released, I won't be surprised by anything anymore :wink:
Desert_Storm wrote:--Lots of shit about how hard it is to compose for an orchestra...--
The finding an orchestra part was meant as "finding an orchestra who has the time". I don't remember which orchestra(s) they worked with for ATEOT or will work with, but it won't be the Blind Guardian Orchestra who is just waiting for them to give them something to play ;)
What, there isn't!? :shock: Don't they have kinda like some "Heavenly/Vallhallaish super orchestra/choir company" just waiting for them to finish something for them to play? :lol: Yeah, now that you wrote everything about composing for different instruments/groups, I guess it ain't so easy afterall. Hadn't really thought about it before. The only istrument which I actually can play (or at least somewhat can...) is the piano, so I don't know anything about composing for full orchestras. And the orchestra with whom they were working during AtEoT was the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra, they seem to have played in many recordings during the last 15 years or so. So I was just thinking that if they've been working with them already, and as far as I remember there was a newsupdate by Hansi a while back saying that they have recorded something like five songs for the OP already, they would continue to work with the same orchestra...

bestpike

#91 Post by bestpike » 21 Nov 2011 12:30

It certainly reminds of the so called "Duke Nukem effect", but fortunately music doesn't get old or obsolete, so it doesn't really matter when it will get released. That's one side of the problem. The other is that maybe besides that the band surely wants to make this as perfectly as possible, maybe they are afraid that what they have won't be so good or well received by the fanbase, and they might be just right. So that would kinda ruin the good name the band has, and I guess this is where the idea of "publishing it on a different name" came. Well, all we can do is hope that their material for that orchestral project is indeed good, and that it will be released sometime in this decade.
Forever to be free

Alpha Penguin

#92 Post by Alpha Penguin » 23 Nov 2011 06:25

In that online chat w/Hansi he said it would most probably be under the Blind Guardian name :)
How can we take it away from someone who has no right--no right to control the divine!!

bestpike

#93 Post by bestpike » 23 Nov 2011 19:52

Alpha Penguin wrote:In that online chat w/Hansi he said it would most probably be under the Blind Guardian name :)
If the release would be in Blind Guardian's name, that would be a good harbinger (I would have said sign, but I'm greatly affected by Skyrim atm :P)
Forever to be free

T3hOverlord

#94 Post by T3hOverlord » 23 Nov 2011 20:09

That was a dragon! Just like the children's stories . . . the harbingers for the end of times!

blind-man

#95 Post by blind-man » 25 Nov 2011 15:26

The only thing that interests me about this are the re-recordings. And I agree that the cover looks boring and uninspired. Oh, and also this:

http://i.imgur.com/eTDM4.jpg
Orodaran wrote:I don't need to look metal in my looks because I am metal in my heart 8)

Little Dragon

#96 Post by Little Dragon » 30 Nov 2011 00:50

t.a.j. wrote:
Orodaran wrote:A gazillion of covers have that blue / red contrast now........

It's a simple trick that they teach every graphic designer. The single most abused colour contrast out there. Formulaic as fuck, but what can you do? Capitalism reduces everything to the lowest common shit.
I can't even look at it without wanting to look at a painting instead. There's no soul, no ideas in that thing. It's made to contain stuff that is easily liked by the suspected target audience, in that silly yet intense contrast, which supposedly makes it look interesting, much like tons of dynamic compression supposedly makes music sound more interesting. It doesn't it all sounds and looks boring and identical and betrays the whole piece of garbage as a product made for market and not anything having anything at all to do with art.
and it's all teal and orange.
YEE-HAW MOTHERFUCKER!

And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which
I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had
I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles
it’s a very very...

...Mad world

wanderingscribe

#97 Post by wanderingscribe » 06 Dec 2011 01:45

I'm still puzzled as to what 'reworked 2011' means in terms of the Lucifer's Heritage demos. I'm keen to hear the re-recordings of ATTWS, The Hobbit and Valhalla and I can take or leave the remixes, but this falls somewhere in between. Can anyone shed some light?

brazilian_bard

#98 Post by brazilian_bard » 07 Dec 2011 20:04

I can´t believe they have re-recorded The Bard’s Song (The Hobbit). This is one of my favourites!!!!!

I'm sure these remixed tracks will be more interesting that Batallions of Fear remixed... I don't know why, but I really prefeer the original Batallions of Fear. In the remixed one, some Andre's solos and other details were almost supressed.

Getting back to MoAtTc, I just can't wait to hear it. Something says me it will be f** amazing.

And the cover is exciting!!! Looks like the misterious details are coming back, even if slowly... :D

Led Guardian

#99 Post by Led Guardian » 07 Dec 2011 22:52

I just had an unpleasant thought. While I was considering how a well re-recorded ATTWS with full orchestra could possibly become my hands-down favorite song, I thought "What if they did a non-orchestral, stripped-down version like with WOT." Now I can't shake this fear.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Dentarthurdent

#100 Post by Dentarthurdent » 08 Dec 2011 10:34

That might be even more interesting.