Memories of a Time to Come

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
corrupted old gnom

Memories of a Time to Come

#1 Post by corrupted old gnom » 12 Oct 2011 00:01

ok, I admit...I don't get it
what are they talking about?

I'm referring to their newest facebook announcement - is this the title of the orchestra project?
wisdom starts where knowledge ends

Gandalf de Grijze

Re: Memories of a Time to Come

#2 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 12 Oct 2011 00:36

also on the website it is the only announcement, no details...
But i'm guessing it will be the "best-of" album
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

corrupted old gnom

#3 Post by corrupted old gnom » 12 Oct 2011 00:57

isn't a best of a look back in history?
if that refers to "a time to come"...I'm standing the wrong way around ;)

lord of the west

#4 Post by lord of the west » 12 Oct 2011 03:18

its a best of album in which its coming out Jan 22nd (at least in Europe). Its on Nuclear Blast Europe's website for pre-order.

dragnaz

#5 Post by dragnaz » 12 Oct 2011 06:43

Not so much information about album. Only that it has Lucifer Heritage's demos. I hope there is at least some special tracks, maybe re-recordings or orchestral versions. Wait and see :D

http://www.nuclearblast.de/en/products/ ... eluxe.html

http://www.nuclearblast.de/en/products/ ... eluxe.html
Oh, well, better get goin' now, gotta recharge my encounter suit. Seeya, fellahs!

Orodaran

#6 Post by Orodaran » 12 Oct 2011 19:51

corrupted old gnom wrote:isn't a best of a look back in history?
They're still memories.... they re-recorded the old songs, so it's old stuff (memories) in a new (to come) version, there :P
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

corrupted old gnom

#7 Post by corrupted old gnom » 12 Oct 2011 19:53

Orodaran wrote:
corrupted old gnom wrote:isn't a best of a look back in history?
They're still memories.... they re-recorded the old songs, so it's old stuff (memories) in a new (to come) version, there :P
ok Andrea, that makes halfway sense ;)

Raistlin Majere

#8 Post by Raistlin Majere » 20 Oct 2011 13:44

It's new stuff anyway!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
----------------------------
If my post doesn't make sense, just consider that I post for postcount!

Dragon Guardian

#9 Post by Dragon Guardian » 20 Oct 2011 17:19

Finally something new to tip me over :D

prongs

#10 Post by prongs » 20 Oct 2011 18:36

So a Blind Guardian Best-of...it sure will be difficult to get all 9 albums in 3 CDs ;)
Ladies!!!!!!!....please avert your eyes....I've been known to hypnotise....

Zhuge Liang

#11 Post by Zhuge Liang » 22 Oct 2011 06:43

New versions of classic songs? Yes please. I prefer the Live versions of most of the older songs, so this pleases me immensely.
"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." -Zhuge Liang

wade-newb

#12 Post by wade-newb » 22 Oct 2011 09:42

Zhuge Liang wrote:New versions of classic songs? Yes please. I prefer the Live versions of most of the older songs, so this pleases me immensely.
Agreed. An example would be Majesty: On the actual album, vocals are boring, and the song is limp sounding... LIVE however, that song is just fucking badass.
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

acidbasement

#13 Post by acidbasement » 22 Oct 2011 21:07

I hope the sound quality is on par with ATEOT, that is, without the horrible clipping found on most of their recent (last 15 years at least) albums.

Dentarthurdent

#14 Post by Dentarthurdent » 23 Oct 2011 15:32

wade-newb wrote:
Zhuge Liang wrote:New versions of classic songs? Yes please. I prefer the Live versions of most of the older songs, so this pleases me immensely.
Agreed. An example would be Majesty: On the actual album, vocals are boring, and the song is limp sounding... LIVE however, that song is just fucking badass.
YOU are boring and limp-sounding! :P
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

wade-newb

#15 Post by wade-newb » 23 Oct 2011 17:33

Dentarthurdent wrote:
wade-newb wrote:
YOU are boring and limp-sounding! :P
I must sound like the first two BG albums, then ? :mrgreen:

Dentarthurdent

#16 Post by Dentarthurdent » 24 Oct 2011 09:05

Not at all, not at all!
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

GenKraid

#17 Post by GenKraid » 10 Nov 2011 05:27

Good to know that its new material (or at least newly recorded)! I'll be buying it for sure then!
NO REMORSE

The Rider Of Rohan

#18 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 10 Nov 2011 18:01

Looks like my prediction earlier this year was pretty right.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38971

I for one am looking forward to hearing a rerecorded ATTWS.

Who knows, perhaps even LeBard will change his mind about bands who rerecord their songs.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Andreas

#19 Post by Andreas » 10 Nov 2011 18:25

I'm sure there's plenty of different ways to re-record songs :P

T3hOverlord

#20 Post by T3hOverlord » 10 Nov 2011 19:26

So they'll have Kai Hansen probably helping them re-record Valhalla to give the studio version some merit, they'll probably re-record majesty as well, I also heard Marcus talk about re-recording Brian maybe a year ago, so maybe the lucifers heritage demos will be re-recorded as well?

Dentarthurdent

#21 Post by Dentarthurdent » 10 Nov 2011 22:53

News! And good ones too:

Finally, after all these years, we have found the time to gather our most worthy songs into a best of compilation, representative of our career’s first 25 years. From the very beginning it was important for us to undertake this project only if we could put the necessary time and attention to detail into it. With overwhelming nostalgia we have looked back on 25 years and came up with Memories of a Time to Come, an organic mixture of some of our greatest songs.

With the exception of “Sacred Worlds”, all songs on Memories of a Time to Come have been remixed while “The Bard’s Song – The Hobbit”, “Valhalla” as well as “And Then There Was Silence” have been re-recorded. This album contains some very pleasant surprises for the die-hard Blind Guardian fan and delivers a perfect image of our musical spirit to those who are not, or just loosely, familiar with the band. Memories of a Time to Come precisely defines our progression and the long-standing dedication to our music. We are proud to present an album that will take the listener on a musical voyage. This year’s Christmas will be in January!

Memories of a Time to Come, the ultimate collection of Blind Guardian music from 1987 to 2011, will be released on January 20, 2012 via Virgin/EMI. It will be available as a double CD, 3 CD deluxe limited edition including the legendary Lucifer’s Heritage demos and as download.

CD 1:
Imaginations from the Other Side (7:11) *
Nightfall (5:34) *
Ride into Obsession (4:46) *
Somewhere Far Beyond (7:32) *
Majesty (7:29) *
Traveler in Time (6:01) *
Follow the Blind (7:11) *
The Last Candle (6:03) *

CD 2:
Sacred Worlds (9:17)
This Will Never End (5:07) *
Valhalla (5:13) **
Bright Eyes (5:15) *
Mirror Mirror (5:09) *
The Bard’s Song (In the Forest) (3:26) *
The Bard’s Song (The Hobbit) (3:41) **
And Then There Was Silence (14:06) **

CD 3: (only available with the deluxe limited edition)
Brian ***
Halloween (The Wizard’s Crown) ***
Lucifer’s Heritage ***
Symphonies of Doom ***
Dead of the Night ***
Majesty
Trial by the Archon
Battalions of Fear
Run for the Night
Lost in the Twilight Hall
Tommyknockers
Ashes to Ashes
Time What is Time
A Past and Future Secret
The Script for My Requiem

Even the cover doesn't totally suck, even though it's Machado again:

Gasha

#22 Post by Gasha » 10 Nov 2011 23:39

This looks awesome. A bummer that loads of cool will only be available on the limited edition, though. Hope to obtain one.

Also, isn't it sorta' strange that they have Ride into Obsession on the greatest hits album, but not Wheel of Time? Personally, my highlights from ATEOT would definitely include the latter, and only maybe the former. Guess the band feels differently. Or maybe Ride into Obession just suited the tracklisting better

Ryu

#23 Post by Ryu » 10 Nov 2011 23:57

Bit of a letdown; mainly for the fact I'm absolutely amazed they aren't re-recording Majesty. The studio version is rather weak.

Also, I really hope CD 3 -isn't- just all the demos released with their 20th anniversary collection slammed onto one CD.
Defiant of destiny

Ryu

#24 Post by Ryu » 11 Nov 2011 00:17

Also, Follow the Blind? Not bad. It's not as if they've played it live anytime recently. Totally expected Banish from Sanctuary and honestly, anything pre-SFB to be re-recorded.

No Welcome to Dying? :O It's especially weird. I recall reading Marcus hates The Last Candle, and that has somehow supplanted a fan-favorite?
Defiant of destiny

bestpike

#25 Post by bestpike » 11 Nov 2011 00:23

This is kinda a huge letdown for me, I was expecting much much more. 12 out of 16 songs in the first 2 CDs are simple remixes, which can probably be taken as next to no change at all (if they can be compared with the Remasters remixes). Then we have Sacred Worlds untouched, and 3 re-recordings. And in the 3rd CD we got "reworked" demos. Probably this means they will be just the bonuses from the Remasters. I hope I'm wrong. Well, new content is always new content, new re-recordings of 3 great songs. Better than nothing at all, but I guess I was hoping for 100% to be new re-recordings. Did anyone say unrealistic expectations? :lol:

P.S. Also I kinda loled on " With overwhelming nostalgia we have looked back on 25 years...". What nostalgia, they play 80% of the songs in there (and that's commendable) except the demos like every tour :O.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Angus

#26 Post by Angus » 11 Nov 2011 00:32

Perhaps the act of picking out old songs for a compilation invoked more memories than simply playing them.

Zook

#27 Post by Zook » 11 Nov 2011 00:34

This is kind of lame. where's Banish From Sanctuary, and why isn't the live version of Majesty on this? They didn't even fill up the CDs either. I can make a better "greatest hits/best of" than this.

Boo frickity hoo.

Cool cover though.

Alpha Penguin

#28 Post by Alpha Penguin » 11 Nov 2011 02:26

I don't understand you guys bitching about the songs on this! Has it sunken into your skulls that we get a re-recorded version of "And Then There Was Silence"?! And I would bet mucho money that it's featuring an orchestra ;)

Bear in mind this is a BEST OF album, it's purpose is to sum up the Blind Guardian legacy to newcomers, as well as please the die-hard fans. I think this is a pretty damn decent track listing, can't complain now can we? :P

GUARDIAN GUARDIAN GUARDIAN OF THE BLIND!!!! \m/ \m/
How can we take it away from someone who has no right--no right to control the divine!!

Desert_Storm

#29 Post by Desert_Storm » 11 Nov 2011 03:30

Alpha Penguin wrote:I don't understand you guys bitching about the songs on this! Has it sunken into your skulls that we get a re-recorded version of "And Then There Was Silence"?! And I would bet mucho money that it's featuring an orchestra ;)
Yeah well ATTWS re-recorded is like great (and so is the hobbit). I just somehow got the picture that they would do all re-records.
bestpike wrote: 12 out of 16 songs in the first 2 CDs are simple remixes, which can probably be taken as next to no change at all (if they can be compared with the Remasters remixes).
Well, mixing and mastering are two completely different things. Remixing canchange the sound drastically, however I didn't listen to the remixes of the first two albums (the rest was only remastered) so I don't know how much they will actually change.
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language

T3hOverlord

#30 Post by T3hOverlord » 11 Nov 2011 04:36

yeah slightly dissapointed that all the songs arent re-recorded (actually very dissapointed) but this dissapointment is abolished when i think about how AND THEN THERE WAS SILENCE has been re-recorded! i would literally pay the full fare just for that song.

anyways, other thoughts: cover looks sweet although a bit too bright for a shirt or something, and I am curious to hear what a remixed ride into obsessiojn sounds like as it was only released last year.

ordering the deluxe

wade-newb

#31 Post by wade-newb » 11 Nov 2011 06:41

http://www.blind-guardian.com/2011/11/1 ... e-to-come/

Here's the full shtick on the whole album. Tells us exactly what's happening to each song, and shows us the album artwork, which I think is pretty awesome.

Gandalf de Grijze

#32 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 11 Nov 2011 07:21

deja-vu... thought i'd seen that a few posts back as well ;)
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

t.a.j.

#33 Post by t.a.j. » 11 Nov 2011 08:19

I'd like to point out the soulless cover.
Then I'd like to call it names, give a twirly, kick it in various sensitive spots and chase it out of here with extreme prejudice.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

FantasyDrummer

#34 Post by FantasyDrummer » 11 Nov 2011 11:05

Actually I was at first very skeptical about this whole thing. Like a voice inside my head saying "You have all that, so you do not need it."

But then I read that ATTWS is re-recorded (re-arranged too?) and a bright smile was on my face.
I am really looking forward to that particular song. Youtube, as usual in this wierd times, will give us the opportunity to make a judgement. So let´s wait for the things to come. :wink:

Little Dragon

#35 Post by Little Dragon » 11 Nov 2011 14:36

t.a.j. wrote:I'd like to point out the soulless cover.
Then I'd like to call it names, give a twirly, kick it in various sensitive spots and chase it out of here with extreme prejudice.
I second that.
YEE-HAW MOTHERFUCKER!

And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which
I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had
I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles
it’s a very very...

...Mad world

bestpike

#36 Post by bestpike » 11 Nov 2011 15:16

I kinda like it :O. Why soulless?
Forever to be free

wade-newb

#37 Post by wade-newb » 11 Nov 2011 18:10

bestpike wrote:
I kinda like it :O. Why soulless?
I also like it. It's a lot better than ATEOT

prongs

#38 Post by prongs » 11 Nov 2011 18:33

the cover is better than atEoT but still it can't reach the epicness of NiME :twisted:
Ladies!!!!!!!....please avert your eyes....I've been known to hypnotise....

kalrhael

#39 Post by kalrhael » 11 Nov 2011 18:56

Photomanip covers make me hurl...and what's with the naked demon-children? They're all over ATEoT too, Sad to see BG stuck with the same cover artist - those manips just don't have the same flare of the painted works, but I guess it's only fair since the band isn't exactly rich.

Listening to somewhere far beyond, looking at the album art and associating it with the music creates a wonderful impression, plus good poster material, seems like a disappearing thing for most modern power metal bands, shame.

Nonetheless I'm looking forward to the music with great anticipation - BG never lets down.

Hardrocky

#40 Post by Hardrocky » 11 Nov 2011 21:12

I'm really confused and disappointed. Rerecordings of ATTWS and Valhalla is awesome but the Hobbit?? The original version is brilliant as it is and Hansi can't scream as he did back then anyway(or can he?? :o ) And why include Follow the blind, one of their worst songs, at least they could have rerecorded it. I expected a lot more rerecordings of songs like Majesty, Banish, Wizards crown, Run for the Night and Guardian of the blind. And what does re-worked mean?? :?

Hardrocky

#41 Post by Hardrocky » 11 Nov 2011 21:13

...and get back Andreas Marschall as cover artist for gods sake :x :wink:

Hardrocky

#42 Post by Hardrocky » 11 Nov 2011 21:46

One more thing. Why include the song Majesty on both cd1 AND cd3?

Steffi

#43 Post by Steffi » 11 Nov 2011 23:04

For me the cover looks way too much like rhapsody of fire. And I think it better fits their music. So many Guardian songs are about male characters that suffer from what fate puts upon them - the atmosphere those songs create is completely different to the atmosphere of the cover. And I might have chosen different songs to represent the "musical spirit" band, e.g. I am desperately missing "Lord of the Rings" which is the most powerful Guardian song for me.

bestpike

#44 Post by bestpike » 11 Nov 2011 23:30

Hardrocky wrote: The original version is brilliant as it is and Hansi can't scream as he did back then anyway(or can he?? :o )
He can't? Didn't Tanelorn convince you? :D In fact his range has increased greatly since Sfb, reaching its peak and sustaining it too till this day (imo) since Anato.
Forever to be free

Hardrocky

#45 Post by Hardrocky » 12 Nov 2011 01:22

bestpike wrote:
Hardrocky wrote: The original version is brilliant as it is and Hansi can't scream as he did back then anyway(or can he?? :o )
He can't? Didn't Tanelorn convince you? :D In fact his range has increased greatly since Sfb, reaching its peak and sustaining it too till this day (imo) since Anato.
Well he certainly sings a lot better on the new album than the he did on the previous 2 but I think he had his peak back in 1992-98, just listen to Tokyo tales where he sings like a god and where the live versions surpasses the studio versions by far. Nowadays he sings most songs an octave lower to save his voice which is understandable but a bit boring imo. But we'll see maybe the new version will sound great

Desert_Storm

#46 Post by Desert_Storm » 12 Nov 2011 13:17

Hardrocky wrote:
bestpike wrote:
Well he certainly sings a lot better on the new album than the he did on the previous 2 but I think he had his peak back in 1992-98, just listen to Tokyo tales where he sings like a god and where the live versions surpasses the studio versions by far. Nowadays he sings most songs an octave lower to save his voice which is understandable but a bit boring imo. But we'll see maybe the new version will sound great
Well on the album he certainly sings as good as ever nowadays, if not better. Live it's really another thing. Hardrocky is right, on Tokyo Tales he pulls of all those high stuff and it seems really effortless, nowadays he doesn't do that much anymore and when he does it's for special occasions and it always appears kind of strained. The last time I saw them live he did some high stuff, but with every high note I was fearing that he might not be able to pull off the next one.
On the albums I didn't really like his voice on the first two, found that he had improved immensely on TFTTW, was even better on SFB and reached his peak maybe on IFTOS or NIME. I probably would say NIME, because it's so diverse there, with the really slow and soft parts on it but also with high-pitched angry screaming 8)
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language

SkullTheDO

#47 Post by SkullTheDO » 13 Nov 2011 12:35

Hey can someone help a noob? In the news on BG's site it says that Memories of a Time to come "will be available as a double CD, 3 CD deluxe limited edition including the legendary...". Does this mean that the 3 CD version will only be available for a limited time?

Orodaran

#48 Post by Orodaran » 13 Nov 2011 12:49

well, not limited time, limited number. Once the few copies that are avalaible are gone, they're gone. Not thinking they will be literally THAT "limited" so I guess anyone who wants it will be able to get it....
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

budwyzer

#49 Post by budwyzer » 13 Nov 2011 13:42

I hope they at least get the playback speed of the demos right this time.

DREAMASTER

#50 Post by DREAMASTER » 13 Nov 2011 15:20

Since from the beginning I had no expectations that they would re-record lots of songs I'm not that disapointed. I'm disaponted with the tracklist. Many old time classics and that are played live are not there (Welcome to Dying or Lord of the Rings). Strange. NIME only represented with only one song. RIO in a Best Of album?! They dont even play it live! And why the live albums are not represented in there?

Will the re-mixes versions will sound weak like the ones in the 2007 remixes of the first two albums? Sorry to say but I don't like Charlie productions and never will and the job he has done in producing BG last 3 albums is quite poor (like the 2007 remixes). So I even doubt the re-recordings will sound better. The production sound for ATEOT album is sterile and lifeless.

Last but not least, the album cover. Its not bad but Im tired of this Felipe Machado Franco generic covers that look all the same (and the same to others cover he does for other bands) and even the font used for the album title is the same he has used before. Give my Andreas Marschall illustrations any day over this.

Like someone said I can do a better compilation than this and in matter of fact I did he he he I did to put it in my mp3 player.

CD1
01- Into the storm
02- Welcome to dying
03- Nightfall
04- Fly
05- Traveler in time
06- This will never end
07- Punishment divine (live)
08- Hall of the King
09- Batallions of fear
10- Time what it time
11- somewhere far beyond
12- Another holy war
13- Battlefield
14- And there was silence
15- The last candle

CD2
01- Sacred Worlds
02- Born in a mourning hall
03- Banish from sanctury (live from Tokio Tales)
04- Quest for tanelorn
05- Tommyknockers
06- Journey throught the dark (live from Tokio Tales)
07- The bard song - the hobbit
08- Bright Eyes
09- Time stand still (at iron hill)
10- A past and future secret
11- Majesty (live)
12- Lost in the twilight hall
14- Tanelorn (into the void)
15- Imaginations from the other side
16- Wheel of time
17- The bard song - in the forest (2003 version)
18- Valhalla (live)
19- Lord of the rings
20- Mirror mirror

:mrgreen:
Behold the sword of power... Excalibur
Forged when the world was young
and bird and beast and flower were one with Man,
and Death was but a DREAM!!!