Hansi twitches a bit

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Ryu

Hansi twitches a bit

#1 Post by Ryu » 07 Oct 2011 08:35

From line to line when he sings (this can be noted especially in this song):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv_3dR7-JEM

his head twitches to the side between sentences. It's adorable.
Defiant of destiny

bestpike

Re: Hansi twitches a bit

#2 Post by bestpike » 07 Oct 2011 10:52

Yeah we've discussed this before I believe. I thought it was just a habit, others said he's just trying to breathe away from the microphone. I think it's both of those things :P
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Frozen within

#3 Post by Frozen within » 07 Oct 2011 12:50

or .. the first signs of the manifestation of Parkinson's disease were captured on video :!:

ok, in my head I'm waging a war now. One voice tells me I should not post such a dumb a possibly offensive comment. The other says "what the hell" ... Hmm, since I just lost my job this week, I can't fight the need to troll and be an asshole. Sorry Hansi !
Eat more vegetables !

bestpike

#4 Post by bestpike » 07 Oct 2011 13:15

Nah man, he's been doing that since at least the DVD :P
Forever to be free

Precurser

#5 Post by Precurser » 07 Oct 2011 18:40

Maybe someone yells his name in between every line so he looks over. :lol:

Or maybe they have a hot woman standing at the edge of his vision, to mess with him
You just looked at my signature.

wade-newb

#6 Post by wade-newb » 07 Oct 2011 22:18

Precurser wrote:Maybe someone yells his name in between every line so he looks over. :lol:

Or maybe they have a hot woman standing at the edge of his vision, to mess with him
HAHAHAHA, that first guess made me lol so hard :lol:
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

Dentarthurdent

#7 Post by Dentarthurdent » 08 Oct 2011 01:01

"HAAAAAANSIII!" - "Yes?" - "HAAAAANSIIIIIII!" - "YES?" - "HAAAAAAANSIIIII!" ...
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

T3hOverlord

#8 Post by T3hOverlord » 08 Oct 2011 07:58

hey ride into obsession live, cool

looks like a live rehersal though :/

Alpha Penguin

#9 Post by Alpha Penguin » 08 Oct 2011 16:41

He's just take breaths between lines, that's not twitching lol
How can we take it away from someone who has no right--no right to control the divine!!

Ryu

#10 Post by Ryu » 08 Oct 2011 20:41

Alpha Penguin wrote:He's just take breaths between lines, that's not twitching lol
It's breathy twitching. If I tossed my head to the side whenever I took a breath, I'd be committed.
Defiant of destiny

teo_guardian

#11 Post by teo_guardian » 31 Oct 2011 06:48

I love this turning of his head! :D

Now about the video...He is really singing almost the whole song one octave down .
As a singer i can understand him on that but i can't understand why is he still making
CDs with so high vocals from start till end now that he knows that he'll never be able
to do that live...Maybe they should try and give much much more space in his mid vocals(which are extremely great!)
on the next album so they can be also great in the concerts.(they were always great in the concerts but that was always a weak point in them)

Isis65

#12 Post by Isis65 » 31 Oct 2011 09:24

Frozen within wrote:or .. the first signs of the manifestation of Parkinson's disease were captured on video :!:
Pfui! Hansi is a baby boy...he's 13 months younger than me...
It's impossible he have Parkinson!
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

wade-newb

#13 Post by wade-newb » 31 Oct 2011 14:51

teo_guardian wrote:I love this turning of his head! :D

Now about the video...He is really singing almost the whole song one octave down .
As a singer i can understand him on that but i can't understand why is he still making
CDs with so high vocals from start till end now that he knows that he'll never be able
to do that live...Maybe they should try and give much much more space in his mid vocals(which are extremely great!)
on the next album so they can be also great in the concerts.(they were always great in the concerts but that was always a weak point in them)
Hansi has always been like this, on and off. If you look at some really old footage of BG, or listen to some bootlegs, sometimes his voice just isn't that great, and he sings a lot lower or growls etc. When you compare that to their Wacken performances though; huge difference. Wacken this year Hansi was brilliant, and I don't doubt he would've been able to sing RIO just fine. But it must be admitted that his voice is taking strain now that he's older, it's just that I think it's unfair to say that his vocals are a weak point in their shows now.

teo_guardian

#14 Post by teo_guardian » 31 Oct 2011 15:26

Not his vocals..it's not about his voice..he is my favorite singer.

But even if you are the best singer in the world when you sing 70% of the song one octave lower
then the song loses something...

wade-newb

#15 Post by wade-newb » 31 Oct 2011 16:58

teo_guardian wrote:Not his vocals..it's not about his voice..he is my favorite singer.

But even if you are the best singer in the world when you sing 70% of the song one octave lower
then the song loses something...
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood what you meant.
I agree. RIO has some amazing vocal displays, so when Hansi relaxes through the song it's a little dissapointing. Hopefully he won't always sing it like that.
I noticed he does the same with A Voice In The Dark sometimes.

T3hOverlord

#16 Post by T3hOverlord » 01 Nov 2011 23:25

teo_guardian wrote: i can't understand why is he still making CDs with so high vocals from start till end now that he knows that he'll never be able
to do that live...
Ive thought the same thing, he can pull it off when he has time to prepare (like Wacken this year) but I really think they should look into recording tour friendly songs in the future, really utilizing his low low-mid range, as well as his relaxed voice, which he so loves to use as a replacement for his really raspy voice. I think they could still make some amazing songs using tour/age friendly vocals.

teo_guardian

#17 Post by teo_guardian » 01 Nov 2011 23:47

yeah that's exactly what i think of...

he has an amazing voice.he doesn't need to scream to sound great.
he has great mid and great lows apart from his highs

and they have a whole discography with extreme vocals..
i think it's time for them to do that change and make a CD
with easier vocals...easier vocals doesn't mean not good songs
or lack of talent...they could do great things with it.

Midnight

#18 Post by Midnight » 02 Nov 2011 16:19

I think these extreme vocals are what is so special about BG. I can't come up with a singer who can make me feel what I feel when I listen to Hansi's voice. In an interview Hansi said that he just can't sing the songs with full of his voice range on a tour because after a few years his voice would be wasted for good. And I don't really mind that, those live songs are different, which doesn't necessarily mean they're worse.

What I want to say is that if he chose to ease his vocals on the next album, BG would loose something what inseparably belongs to them, something which makes them my top favourite band.

bestpike

#19 Post by bestpike » 02 Nov 2011 23:15

I too agree with the POV of doing the best you can even if you can't repeat it indefinitely, especially in music which remains forever. Doing otherwise would be a shameful waste for something that could have been better.
Forever to be free

Steffi

#20 Post by Steffi » 02 Nov 2011 23:27

I agree with Midnight - I like Hansi's mid vocals very much, but I also love him screaming, screetching, rasping or whatever you may call it.
And it impresses me very much that Hansi definitely IS able to perform those songs live perfectly - maybe not every evening, but who cares. Besides I listen to their albums so many times more than I see them live, that I hope they go on producing their unmatched typical BG songs and think about how to perform them later.

T3hOverlord

#21 Post by T3hOverlord » 03 Nov 2011 01:21

I guess when you look at it like that it makes sense, as long as they dont resort to computer shit to make his voice seem better than what it is (which was present in A Twist In The Myth)

oganalp

#22 Post by oganalp » 08 Dec 2011 17:45

Wow.. I haven't been on these forums in ages.

Anyway, about the twitching;

I cannot say if he is doing this for the same reason, but twitching is useful before you pass on to a harder / different verse to sing as it eases your throat / neck muscles. I do the same when I sing and so did Pavarotti. My singing teacher taught me that and I wouldn't be surprised if it is for the same reason regarding Hansi. After a while, it becomes a habit and you do it without realizing.

VD2311NN

#23 Post by VD2311NN » 09 Jun 2012 06:42

@teo_guardian I realize this conversation was awhile ago but to add to what you said "he doesn't need to scream to sound great" I think the live performances of the song Bright Eyes are a perfect example of this. He always sings the chorus in his low growl/singing combo instead of shrieking it like on the album and as much as I love Hansi's higher vocals I personally like how that song sounds live much better than on the studio track. Also he indeed can pull off the higher vocals live (he's proven this by still being able to pull off the screams at the beginning of Mordred's song and toward's the end of Sacred Worlds, and also on a live performance of Somewhere Far beyond I watched on youtube that just happened a few months ago he nailed almost every high pitch vocal line) but I think for him it's a matter of picking his moments. He knows that singing every high note to every song would be way too stressful on his vocals in the long run so he only uses them during the parts of the songs that need that extra push and uses his lower and middle ranges to handle the rest.