They really need to release more rare material

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Ryu

They really need to release more rare material

#1 Post by Ryu » 05 Aug 2011 02:40

Outtakes, alternate versions, demos, unreleased/scrapped ideas.. they're brilliant, always thinking and working, and there's a lot I'm sure we won't see ever.
Defiant of destiny

bestpike

Re: They really need to release more rare material

#2 Post by bestpike » 08 Aug 2011 13:13

Yeah indeed, and I would also like to see a good quality live version of every one of their songs, mostly the first 2 albums which got shafted even in Tokyo Tales :(
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

LeBard

#3 Post by LeBard » 08 Aug 2011 16:03

Didn't the remaster have plenty of bonus materials? From memory, Battalions of Fear had the complete demo tape which includes:

Brian
Halloween
Lucifer's Heritage
Symphonies of Doom
Dead of the Night

While the other re-masters had about 3-4 demo version of songs. Majesty, Run for the Night, Lost in the Twilight Hall et cetera. That is more demos than most band ever release.

However...
Yeah indeed, and I would also like to see a good quality live version of every one of their songs, mostly the first 2 albums which got shafted even in Tokyo Tales
I would love to see (or rather, hear) Tokyo Tales with every song they played that night. Both Bard Songs, Guardian of the Blind, Theater of Pain + a lot of rarities that is no longer played live (or never appeared on a live album). I think they exist in bootleg form, but I would love to hear them in the same quality as the rest of the Tokyo Tales songs. Great live album. I wonder if they still got the recordings locked in some vault, just waiting to be released.

bestpike

#4 Post by bestpike » 08 Aug 2011 20:35

If I remember correct Marcus in an interview said he has shitloads of video tapes and stuff from all these years and they might process them to release something, although no official Blind Guardian word was ever said about that.

I've found that good live version of a song gives much more value to it somehow, I don't know how that works exactly. Many songs I've started to admire mainly because of their live versions, like the insane Born in a Mourning Hall or Majesty from Live. But in any case a live version surely boosts the chances a fan will start digging the song. Another example is Banish from Sanctuary, it sounds so much better in Tokyo Tales and the DVD than in Follow the Blind. Hansi sings too much inside the timeframe in the studio versions sometimes (mostly in the first two albums), I don't know what the musical terminology is, but for example in Banish from Sanctuary studio version 3:35-3:50 and the Tokyo Tales version 3:35-3:50 again. On the first one he sounds too constrained, while on the live version he's less afraid to be a bit out of sync, and that somehow makes it better in the ear.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Precurser

#5 Post by Precurser » 11 Aug 2011 22:12

I'd like to see the Wheel of Time demo released
You just looked at my signature.

Gorthaur

#6 Post by Gorthaur » 25 Sep 2011 06:21

I've got Complete Tokyo Tales, can upload them if it's allowed...

Screenshots:

Ryu

#7 Post by Ryu » 25 Sep 2011 22:29

Bootleg trading should be encouraged IMO. I'd like this
Defiant of destiny

Gasha

#8 Post by Gasha » 26 Sep 2011 01:11

Would love to hear this. Tokyo Tales is awesome